Speaker: Welcome to Honest Money. I'm your host, Anya, and today's episode is brought to you by hard block.
Anja: Joining me today is Adam Hudson. Adam Hudson is a business owner. He's been in business for over 30 years. He's also the founder of Unemployable Media and a Bitcoin and a Freedom Maximalist that I found on Instagram of all places. Welcome to Honest Money. Adam,
Adam: my absolute pleasure. I love the title of your show. How could I Resist?
Anja: Thank you. Thank you. I, yeah, my background is in marketing, so I wanted a really strong first impression and people to wonder what the show is about.
Adam: Yeah. Um, the shows. So
Anja: I would love for you to introduce yourself a little bit more to my audience. I've been following you for some time on Instagram, and, uh, you've got like over 106,000 followers that you've been building up over a number of years and, and. You're not as active on Bitcoin, Twitter, whereas I'm probably more active on Bitcoin, Twitter, and very underactive on Instagram. Um, but yeah, like tell, tell the audience like where are you from? How did you get into business and how did you get into Bitcoin?
Adam: Great question. So I just want to, uh, apologize to the audience where I am today. I'm in ATU in Bali, and right next door is a construction site. So if you hear jack hammering and all that, there's nothing I can do about it. There's about 50 Javanese dudes out there hammering it out. So, um, I apologize if that's coming through. So yeah, look Anna, my story is, uh, is it Ana or Anja?
Anja: Anja
Adam: Anja? Yeah, so I'm Australian, as you can probably tell. Born in, um, Adelaide and today I split my time between Panama and Indonesia and Cyprus. So I have homes in, um, all three places. I left Australia about a year ago per. Um, but my background is, uh, basically entrepreneurship. So I'm 51 today. I started in business when I was 19, and I've been happy birthday. Oh, no, no. I, I don't mean I'm 51 today. I mean, at this time in my life I'm 51. Um, so yeah, so, um, it's, uh, so I've been in business for 32 years. Um, and I came from a working class family and, uh, I learned business by trial and error. I didn't go to university. Um, I just read books. Failed a lot. I had a bit of success in my twenties, um, but didn't invest my profits well, uh, struggled through most of my thirties and then really made my money in my forties, um, through a few businesses that I started. And I was fortunate to invest those, uh, those profits into real estate. And so I invested heavily into industrial, um, buildings on the Gold Coast. So I owned multi-tenanted factories. Uh, that I had tenants like a Hillsong style church. I like a Pentecostal churches. I had gyms. I had, um, e-commerce companies. So I had multiple of these free standing buildings, which were divided into, um, you know, spaces from about 150 meters up to about 500 meters, um, per tenant. Uh, and I also own a, uh, a large caravan park as well. Um, so that's my sort of business investing background. And I came across Bitcoin in 2000 and, uh, 1314 originally. Uh, I was living in Los Angeles at the time and I had friends talking about Bitcoin. I think I bought some and sold it and didn't really understand it. Um, I certainly didn't buy a big stack then. I'm not a, uh, an old school whale Bitcoin. Um, I started accumulating Bitcoin in 2017, 18, around that time, and really not that in earnest. I, I bought a few Bitcoin back then. But it wasn't really until COVID or pre COVID, when was that? I'm just trying to think now, 2019 that I started to accumulate. So just before COVID I started to get really into Bitcoin and started to accumulate. So my first Bitcoins were bought very cheap, um, and uh, but really in earnest, um, when it was around that four or 5,000 mark and then up from there. Um, and so at first Bitcoin for me was just like an investment. You buy it because you want it to go up. Then over time I learned about money and I learned why I loved your podcast title. Um, honest Money. It is the only honest Money in the world. Um, so I'm not sure which direction you'd like to take it, but I, I, I became a real enthusiast and, uh, and it just captured my imagination. It educated me about money. It educated me about the nature of life, which sounds weird, but it really did teach me the essence of what we do as entrepreneurs and how broken the, the, the system is that we save and measure in. And so, um, today I try to educate people. I, I travel over the world teaching mainly Bitcoin is really what I'm interested in. Now.
Anja: Have you been to Bitcoin Bali House yet?
Adam: I have not, no, I'm in Bali, but I haven't been to Bitcoin, Bali house.
Anja: Yeah. I went and visited them when I was there last year I think. And yeah, really, really nice people run the place. And it's very well organized. I'm actually quite impressed.
Adam: Oh, that's great. I mean, I, I think that grassroots stuff is amazing. And Cyprus, I, I attend the, uh, Bitcoin meetups and I've spoken at them. Um, and that's really what makes. Bitcoin's so great is is the, the grassroots community and it's why I love going to the events and uh, I just love the eclectic mix of everyone from Wall Street billionaires to Cipher Punks and rebels all in the one room at the one time. It's awesome.
Anja: Yep. I, I love it. I go to quite a few meetups here in Australia and we have this wonderful event called the Bitcoin Bush Bash, where, which is completely like open source, decentralized grassroots community run event. It's free to attend, there's no like sponsorships, no commercial interest, and it's just organized by local people so anyone can put their hand up. Um, and there's several in a different state and I think UK has now also copied the model and created something similar over there. And yeah, they're just wonderful events. We just get together and talk about Bitcoin for like three days. Mm-hmm. And does attract like a very eclectic mix of people, but we all get along really well because I guess those kind of core values. Are there. Um, but I'm very curious to know, Adam, like, so what was it that finally clicked in for you when it comes to Bitcoin? Was it just understanding money or was it anything else
Adam: as well? Well, I mean, from a bus, I think the business economics clicked in for me before the moral, um, aspects of Bitcoin because I'm a bit, I'm an investor and a business guy first, and that's what I'm obsessed with. So, well, I was obsessed with these days. I'm sort of semi-retired and I'm not as obsessed with that. But, um, you know, first of all, global digital limited asset, you know, these were the words of Kathy Wood. Um, when she was describing Bitcoin, I thought, here we have this alternative. Um, savings technology that is global. It's digital, which means that anybody can access it, um, de decentralized, um, which means nobody can control it despite the fud, fear, uncertainty, and doubt. That is an acronym for, for new listeners who are not familiar with that phrase, um, you know, it, it's not controlled by anybody. It's not co-opted by anybody buying a whole bunch of, it doesn't give you more votes. It's actually a node that you know, it, it controls the consensus network mechanism. So, um, when I understood sort of the, the, I think what sold it on, on it from an economic point of view was I looked at the universe of, uh, investible assets. So on earth, if you divide the world's assets between gold bonds, real estate, art, and collectibles. Equities as in the stock market and everything. If you put all of those assets onto a chart and add up their total value savings, like fiat currency that's saved in the bank, it's about a thousand trillion dollars, which is a quadrillion dollars. So just think of the number of thousand, and then you look at Bitcoin. So how much of global assets does Bitcoin represent out of the thousand trillion, based on it being let's say, a hundred thousand dollars a coin today, how? How much is it worth for all the coins combined? It's about 2 trillion, so it's about 2 trillion out of a thousand trillion of potential places people can invest their money. So it's a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny segment. But when you compare all of those asset classes side by side, since the inception of Bitcoin to today, Bitcoin has been the best performing asset every year except for four years. And overall it has been the best by a mile. You're talking hundreds and hundreds of percents before, like the best performing stock in that time is Tesla and it's annihilated Tesla. So it's, it's annihilates everything. Yet it only represents two parts of a thousand in a pie, which to me says, well, there's all this money in these big pools of capital, like real estate and gold and bonds and everything that is underperforming Bitcoin. So surely some of that money, even a small amount of that money is gonna sooner or later. Investment managers, money managers are gonna say, look, we really should have some exposure to this incredibly strong asset called Bitcoin. And I'm not saying they're gonna sell all their real estate and buy Bitcoin, but if they sold 2% of their real estate to get some exposure to Bitcoin to just spice up the returns. Right? Um, and you're seeing it now. You're seeing nation states doing it. You're seeing Harvard University famously said Bitcoin is more likely to go to zero than a hundred thousand dollars than three years later. They bought a hundred million dollars worth at a hundred thousand dollars, right? Yeah. So eventually it bends the knee of everyone from the banks. We've seen JP Morgan Chase now saying Bitcoin and cryptocurrency is the future. We've got a White House that's saying the future is crypto. So I just looked at that and went, okay, we have this incredibly strong, um, asset, the best asset the world has ever seen from a performance point of view. It has a minority share of the pie. And then it's fixed. So it is the only thing on that periodic table of assets that you can't make more of. Right? Gold. About two to 3% of gold is mined every year, which means that in 50 years there'll be double the amount of gold on earth than there is today. So there is no real fixed supply of gold, right? There's no fixed supply of shares because companies can issue them will, there's obviously no fixed supply of money because the US dollar and every fiat can't see in the world relies on money printing. So it is the only fixed supply where the monetary policy is hard coded and is deflationary in nature. Each year less and less and less is getting printed over time. So when I looked at those things together, I was like, alright, from an investment, an investment thesis point of view, this is the fastest horse in the race with really cheap odds at the moment. Um, so that's that. Then I looked at the moral and ethical side, and that's a whole different discussion.
Speaker 6: Quick one for the Aussies listening hard block is offering a $10 signup discount right now. And if you're with another exchange, ask yourself this. Are they Australia's longest running Bitcoin only exchange? Because if not, maybe it's time to switch. Head to hard block.com au slash join slash Honest Money and start stacking stats today.
Anja: Yeah. And it's, that's what kind of makes it so easy to love. Like you just kind of, you feel good about owning Bitcoin. Um, but I laughed just before when you were talking, um, because you mentioned, you know, it's been the best performing asset apart from four years, and then last year was obviously for a lot of people, very unexpected ending to, to the, to the year. It was just, I'm laughing because obviously I still, I still believe in Bitcoin and I don't care so much about the price these days, but, um, were you surprised by, by how Bitcoin ended last year?
Adam: Uh, yeah. Look, I, I felt we would go a lot higher than we did. Um, but I'm not at all disappointed. Like these days I'll see, like, I did a call this morning. I got a call from Melbourne, one of my mates who runs a, a, a company called Storm Re. He rang me, he says, oh, brother, we're up 6% today. And I was like, oh, I haven't even looked. You know, I, I'm not as. Varied. Uh, you know, like, um, these days when I was younger in my Bitcoin journey, I was like watching the price every day and I'd see it plummet and I'd, oh my God, have I made the right decision, the wrong decision? I mean, I, I just keep buying. And I published my purchases on my Instagram like a week ago. I bought more Bitcoin at $90,000 or $89,000. And I said, guys, people keep asking me what's happening with the Bitcoin price. And I say, I just went and bought, I think I bought 30 grand's worth last week. Boom. This is, this is what I think it's the old saying, right? Like, if you wanna know what somebody believes in, look at what they invest in. Look at what they actually own that will really tell you what they believe in. 'cause a lot of people out there talking, but what are they really buying? Um, so no, the, the short answer is, um, I've been here long enough to not try and pick tops and bottoms. I'm not a trader. I had a guy on my podcast called Jason Pino, who's a trader, and he said, Adam, you should wait. Just wait. Because the charts are saying it's gonna go here and he might be right, but I'm not a trader. And I, I, and I look at it and go, look, I'm not selling, um, yet. Maybe in 10 years I might, if I need fiat cash for some reason. But I really take a 10 year view and in my view, and I look at it at 90, I look at it a hundred, I look at at 70, I look at it 120. It's all the same to me because I believe by 2032 or 2035, we are looking at maybe, you know, a much stronger price, let's say 500,000 to a million dollars per Bitcoin, which is only a five x to 10 x from here, which for Bitcoin is not that big. So yeah, that's my view of the world. I don't get shaken by much these days.
Anja: Yeah, same. I think a lot of people real really, um, relate to that. But I also wanted to touch a little bit on your podcast. I saw that recently you interviewed, um, I've just had a brain freeze. The Senator, um mm-hmm. Andrew Bragg.
Adam: Mm-hmm.
Anja: And yeah. What did, what did you think of him?
Adam: I thought he was wishy-washy. I, I didn't think much of him at all. Um, not, I mean, I'm not talking about him personally. I'm sure he is a very nice man in real life. I'm just talking about his politics. Um, I was, I mean, I left Australia because I've lost hope for the future of the country. And I really, and it was confirmed in that when I see Australians absolutely screaming because the middle class has been hollowed out, right? Property investors have gotten rich, and I was one of them. But it's not good for Australia to have this pushing to the edges when young people can't afford a home, the knock on effects of housing affordability are massive. And it's not just young people complaining about not getting a house, they're not gonna have kids. Um, the, the nation itself dies because housing affordability gets, people buy into the nation. The military struggles to recruit people to defend a country because they don't feel they've got a stake in the country. Right? Um, so it's, it's a, it's a real problem. Housing affordability. So we are seeing, um, unfortunately, um, the rich get richer and the poor not even having a vote. Um, the rent becomes an, an, an institutionalized tax that they can't get out of. Um, while the asset holders get richer and richer, the renters go nowhere and it's like a tax they can't escape. Um, and then when I sit opposite the shadow treasure, uh, the shadow minister for housing, which is perhaps the hottest, most painful topic in the country right now, and he looked me in the eye and I said, Senator, you, we've had 1.2 million immigrants in the last two years into Australia, which is double the long-term average. That is 1.2 million people that need a home in this country, that if the borders were closed for a minute while we have this high housing affordability crisis, we would've 1.2 million less people that would need a house. Mm-hmm. So can you explain to me how you believe that, that, that, that, that immigration housing affordability are not linked. And he, he, I pushed him on it three times and he said, no, no, it's just an input. It's not the major driver. And I'm like, I was banging my head against a wall and I was like, dude, like, and he's supposed to be in opposition. So the public are at a, clearly, at a state of crisis, he could easily go after the Labor party for be putting him, even if the liberals probably started this train, who knows? But he could have had one political points by even saying the populist thing, but he wouldn't even say the populist thing. And so in my mind, this is planned. There, there is a reason for this that is bigger than the happiness of Australians and the wellbeing of Australians. And that is devastating to me.
Anja: Yeah. Yeah. Um, I think a lot of people are in agreeance with you there. When you say you think it's planned, what are your theories in terms of who's behind? Like what's the driver of this? Well.
Adam: You know, I, I don't know. I'm not as far down the conspiracy rabbit holes and I don't say that in a dismissive way, right? Like I used to say it in a dismissive way, but the conspiracy theorists actually have turned out to be right. They've just been fortune tellers, really. Um, future tellers, right? The truth, um, I haven't invested going down that rabbit hole and I'm not doing it because it just does not bring me any joy. It actually makes me quite upset and it affects my mental health deeply. And it's why I left, to be honest with you, is partially why I left because what the answers I came to is that Australia has sold out to money and power and, uh, the, the, the party that is in power, and I, I say the Labor Party 'cause they're in power, but I would say the liberal party. Um, you know, a, any anybody could have told you who sat down, I've sat down with Senator Gerard Rennick, former Senator Gerard Rennick. We just interviewed him on our pod again last week. Gerard Rennick was in the Liberal party. Um, and if you had a chat with Gerard Rennick, any logical, reasonable Australian, I believe, if they had an hour with Gerard Rennick and an hour with Peter Dutton, there is no contest of, in terms of intellect, in terms of charisma vision if it's no contest. You know what happened with Gerard Rennick? They booted him out of the party, right? The man that was far more capable to run that party, they ended up booting him because he wasn't prepared to pay the political game, right? And so the political game is all about keeping power. And the, the they what that once they're out of power. When you've served 2, 3, 4 election cycles in opposition, your appetite for power is ravenous and your desire to keep it when you have it. And we have these three year election cycles in Australia. It's just this constant fricking circus. And it doesn't work, in my opinion. I'm not even sure that democracy works anymore. Um, and, uh, because it keeps the population distracted and stupid and it puts that, those that need money next to the money printer, because the satisfaction right now in Australia is more than 50% of the Australian voting populace relies on the government for their principle source of income, either through a government job or a government subsidy. More than 50% of the voting public. That means that we have crossed the, the social Rubicon into being a socialist country because. 50% of Australians are probably going to vote for their own best interest. In other words, whichever politician says they're gonna give them the most money in a handout is who's going to win. So it is the money printer that is dictating, uh, leadership instead of morals instead of values. Um, and that's where, that's where, um, uh, you know, uh, democracies break down and, and, uh, sometimes a, you know, a, uh, a compassionate dictatorship would work better.
Anja: Yeah. Or a monarchy, but yeah. Yeah, it's interesting. I've been going down some democracy rabbit holes recently, myself. And yeah, like looking back at history, it's not really how democracy was envisioned by Socrates, um, to work the way it does today. So yeah, agree. There's definitely limitations to how it is, but I wish I knew that you were interviewing Gerard Renick, because I have a lot of questions for the man. He was always probably one of my like, top five favorite senators. There's a lot of things that I agreed with him on, and I really liked that he quite agitated the RBA and he would ask some questions about, you know, reserves at the Bank of England, gold Reserves at the Bank of England and things like that. But then, and he wanted to reform the banking industry, which, you know, I, I really respect him for that. But then when he came to Bitcoin, he just didn't wanna hear it. He didn't wanna engage in, um, public discourse. He was quite dismissive on, on um, uh, Bitcoin, Twitter. And yes, he got attacked sometimes a bit unfairly as well. He just kind of doubled down and it kind of confuses me why a people First Senator is so dismissive of people First money. Do you know what I mean?
Adam: Well, it's, it's interesting you mentioned that because when he was leaving the studio the first time our studio, I said, Senator, I wanna send you a gift. Um, it's a book and I think you'll get a lot out of it. Uh, where do I send it? And he gave me the address. So I sent him, uh, the Bitcoin Standard by my friend, Saifedean Ammous And I said, Senator, I loved everything that you had to say, and I absolutely respect your intellect. Which is why it surprises me that you haven't understood Bitcoin yet. And I don't mean that. I, I say that with the utmost respect, knowing that you are my intellectual superior, but I truly don't believe so. Everybody's on their journey, and I think in time, uh, he, like many other intelligent men and women before him will come to understand Bitcoin and be an advocate for it, but everybody, you know, has their own time. In his case. I just don't think it's a priority. Um, I don't think that it's an ego-based thing. I think it's just, it's not a priority. And like many of his generation, it's probably just a bridge too far to sort of understand at this stage. But there'll come a time where he'll sit down, he'll read a book, um, and he'll, uh, I think it'll change his mind.
Anja: I hope so. And I, I hope I'm alive for that day, if that happens. I really hope. Yeah. I, I would like to see that kind of turn around in him. I think he, he would redeem himself in a lot of people's eyes if he did that. Um, hint, hint. But Yeah. But I'm also really curious. Sorry, I just lost my train of thought. Hold on.
Adam: When you think about it, and you know, you look at Jamie Diamond, you know, he was on record as saying Bitcoin is rat poison, and now he's turned around. So Australia of all countries in the world is perhaps one of the least progressive when it comes to Bitcoin. That's what I was gonna ask you. So it's so slow. It is so far behind the rest of the world. I'm buying a home in Panama, um, next month. And, uh, over there public servants are paid in Bitcoin. Banks will custody your Bitcoin for you so when you log into your savings account, you can see your savings, your checking, your credit card balance, and your Bitcoin balance when you log in, right? It's, it's a different world. So Australia is just last to the party because they're one of the richest countries on earth. So their need to know is very low because Australians live under the uh, idea that their money is safe in banks, which for the large part it probably is. Um, but they, but they're now starting to wake up because they're starting to feel the pain of broken money through inflation.
Anja: Yes. And I wonder as well how that adoption from here on will pan out in Australia. Whether it will be like public led or whether there's gonna be interested politicians. 'cause there's not been that many so far. Um, I only know of one MP that took an interest in reaching out to the Australian Bitcoin industry body to learn more about Bitcoin. But for the large part, it's not even discussed. Um, the RBA has made some really weird statements about it. Um, they don't understand it then. Apparently they do. And what's, you know, what, what Michelle said that her understanding of Bitcoin kind of reveals that she doesn't understand it. I don't know, again, if that's her being strategic. I don't know, like, it's, it's interesting. But do you think there's anyone in Australia that might be more like, who, if there was gonna be one politician, who do you think that might be? If like the first to take interest in Bitcoin,
Adam: I would say I, I would say probably, uh, one nation would, would probably be the most, because one Nation and Barnaby Joyce and the farmers have a very deep understanding of what's fair and true. Um, it, it's innate and I don't think they're bought and paid for as much because they're not in power yet. Um, I think that, you know, Australia is a, a monopoly of banks. It is a monopoly of big media. It is a monopoly controlled by, um, uh, uh, unions, right? That is Australia. It is one big corrupt um, uh, system where one hand feeds the other politicians are bought and paid for. Like Tucker Carlson said it wouldn't cost much to buy Anthony Albanese. It just wouldn't. Right. Um, and so Australia, you know, the, the banks are insanely profitable. Um, why, why would they want Bitcoin? Like, because it reveals the fraud that they are. Right? Um, so banks are not gonna want Bitcoin. Um, and, uh, yeah, I mean, I, I, I think that the, the, the ones that are most open to it are the ones that have an inherent sense of fairness, um, and doing the right thing. And I, I just haven't seen a lot of that leadership in Australia, you know, yet. Uh, apart from, um, you know, I, I think Pauline and Gerard and a few of the, um, other younger senators coming up. Uh, are phenomenal and it, it'll also be a bit of an age thing, you know, like, um, the younger generation coming through understand Bitcoin, they get it. So it'll just be time. It will happen. It is, as Lynn Lynn Elden says, this train can't be stopped. And a lot of it is just gonna be one person talking to another person, talking to another person. Um, and sooner or later, um, truth will win.
Anja: Mm-hmm. So what would your advice be like if I'm a young Australian and I'm fresh out of, you know, university and, uh, get my first job, is do you really believe that like saving in Bitcoin would be the best bet for a young person today in Australia? Or investing in something else? Investing at all?
Adam: Yeah. Yeah. So for a young person, I think the first thing you've gotta do is get this toxic poison out of your head that because house prices are out of reach, you don't have a chance anymore. Now, I'm not saying that that's not true. I agree with you. It is true. The house pricing is unfair. My mom and dad bought a house at four times Dad's income, let alone mom's income. Mom got to raise the three of us boys at home and, and dad bought a house on a single income, which is wild to think about today. And today it's like 15 times of 12 times or something like that. So get that outta your head because I honestly believe hand on heart, young people today have more opportunity by a factor of a thousand or a hundred than what I had when I grew up. And what I mean by that is you have access to incredible knowledge and education for free, right? Like you can sit down and listen to Elon Musk get interviewed about business, right? That never happened in my generation. When you got the Rich List came out as a printed magazine once a year, and there was a paragraph that long about somebody's business activities for the year that was successful and that was all you got. And then you had a few books, but there wasn't anything like that. And there's, and the exponential, there's so many young people, I see 'em here in Bali running multimillion dollar e-commerce businesses from laptops in cafes in Ubud, right? Like, that was never a possibility for me. So you've got enormous opportunity. Um, I also believe that we live at, on the doorstep right now, literally on the doorstep, not the, the, not the, the, the driveways there and then the door and the port. I mean, we are literally. On the doorstep to the biggest change in human history with the emergence of AI and robotics. And this will be the most disruptive thing in probably human history. And whenever there is disruption in business, there is money to be made. It means money and resources move from one place to the other. And your job is to position yourself in the middle of that movement like a river. You need to have a net out. You need to be the, the guy that catches the most fish is the one or the girl with the, with the, the net in the right river where the most fish are going past. And so, um, I think Bitcoin is one because we are seeing also, um, enormous awareness now coming to how fragile the global, uh, economy is. Uh, we saw what happened in, uh, uh, is it Venezuela now where, oh no, sorry. Iran. Um, uh, every Bitcoin owner in Iran is now a billionaire in Iranian dollars because the Iranian, uh, currency collapsed this morning. And so those who held Bitcoin have a hard currency that they can convert to US dollars, they can convert to euros, they can convert to whatever they else. If they held it in Iranian dollars, they are bankrupt today, literally gone. Your life's work, your savings technology that the banks in Iran told you were safe, you stored your, um, irreplaceable life force. The abstracted form of your life is called an energy. When you get paid is called money or fiat cash. You put that fiat cash, which is an expression of your sacred spiritual time. You put it in a bank and they stole it from you. It's gone. That is so morally corrupt that it's beyond words, but those who store that economic energy in Bitcoin. They didn't miss a beat and they could cash in that Bitcoin for unlimited amounts of, of Iranian money now because it's actually worth zero. So, um, anyway, um, so I think not financial advice, but I, again, what I said to you earlier, if you wanna know what somebody believes in, look at what they invest in. Do I invest in Australian real estate? No. I sold all of my Australian real estate other than the caravan part because I own it with a friend. Um, but I own Bitcoin, I own Tesla, um, and I own some hotels here in Bali. Um, well, one, uh, I'm a major investor in a hotel here and I'm about to build another hotel here. Um. Because I think there's other opportunities and I, and, and I like my, uh, income to be derived from real estate because I believe that people will always need somewhere to live. Um, yeah. And so, uh, and over time because of money printing, real estate will continue to go up. So, uh, I think real estate still has a place, but whether or not it's in Australia or other places in the world is another question. And for me, Australia was not the place for me because I could see what was happening there with the pitchforks coming out for the rich, the hungry tax, um, goblins that the government wanting to just tax, tax, tax, tax, tax and real estate is an immovable asset that the Australian government is addicted to the tax revenue from.
Speaker 2: Need a way to sign, verify and secure your Bitcoin Australia's one-stop shop for Bitcoiners. Has you covered from signing devices, nodes, and backup solutions? To bid access day decor and apparel, visit shop bitcoin.com au.
Anja: Yeah. And that's kind of the, the depressing thing about Australia at the moment. So if you're a young person, is it better to make your money in Australia and then look to leave or just leave sooner rather than later? Like, I feel like there's a bit of an exodus, you know, of high net worth individuals leaving in Australia, which is interesting because the data actually shows that we're having more, um, high net worth individuals coming to Australia. But anecdotally, the conversations that I'm having indicate that people wanna leave or are leaving. So
Adam: what's so, so, I mean, my, my thinking for young, if I had a young person in my life today, a son or a daughter, uh, in Australia, I would say this to them. Um, go. So a lot of people think that the biggest investment they ever make is their house. It's not, it's the government that you choose to live under. That's the number one investment. So if you stay in Australia and you start a business, you are going to be in business with somebody that gives you zero, takes no risk. Puts no money in, does no work, and wants 25% of your profits from at the business level. And if you make any real money and, and then wanna withdraw, uh, some of that 25, uh, you know, business profits to go and enjoy it for yourself somehow, that you'll be on subject to top up tax, up to 47% tax, right? Uh, in addition to that, you're gonna pay rates, uh, fines, levies, um, fuel excise. So when you fill your car up, you know, 30 or 40% or something of the fuel that goes into your car. Pauline Hansen was on my pod not long ago and she said, Adam, uh, 40% of the price of a new house, home and land in Australia is taxes. So just let think, think about that for a minute, right? So you've gone and saved your deposit. You've got tax paid dollars, and then you buy an asset that's got 40% tax built into it. You buy yourself a champagne to celebrate. You have, uh, alcohol tax, you know, so it doesn't end at what the employer takes out of your salary. So think carefully about where you are going to live, live frugally, um, and uh, and work really hard in, in a tax efficient place. That's low cost to live. That's what I would do for say, 10 years of your life. And I would do it also for the spiritual and personal growth points of view. I've never met somebody who moved and lived overseas for 10 years and said, that was the worst thing I ever did. Yes. They always, when they come back, say, oh my God, it changed my life. It changed everything about the way I see the world. And if anything, you'll appreciate Australia for the many beautiful things that it has to offer. But, um, if you live in Australia only, you have a very limited view of the world. Um, and uh, and I think that's really bad for your personal growth. It's bad for your compassion. The number of Australians that when I post about Bali, they go, oh, I'd never live in that cesspool of a shit hole. And I'm like, you are such an entitled arrogant dirt bag. Like there there's 200 million beautiful people in Indonesia who are among the nicest people in the world. This is their home and they just shit all over it because they're so spoiled in Australia. They're like a good looking man or woman with a horrible personality. And um, and that's what in my mind, Australia has become, we've become the new America of the world.
Anja: Yeah. It's interesting you said that because earlier on today I saw a comment which was taking a swipe, I don't think at you. I think it was at Matt Cameron actually. Yeah. Which I know you guys know each other 'cause of bull You on Instagram. Um. But someone wrote it is like, why is hating on Australia suddenly a trend? I don't know. I'll send it to you so you can see it. But yeah, basically it's interesting there, there's always like that balance between being patriotic and also being realistic. It, you can't deny that things have gotten worse in Australia and everyone has their breaking point, um, in terms of how much more they can tolerate. I, I personally question what my breaking point is going to be. Like, I, I came to Australia with my family in 1997. Absolutely love the country. It's beautiful. It's stunning. It's given me great opportunities and I'm forever grateful for that. Like my life has changed because of Australia, but then I look at where it's heading and coming from an ex-communist country. It makes me really nervous. Um, and yeah, I guess I, I don't know what, what's that going to be? Things like digital ID and cbdc, like sets an unprecedented level of centralized power, which I have a particular version for. And it feels like, you know, it's kind of being rolled out in the west throughout the world. I, I think maybe that's gonna be the,
Adam: let me ask you an, 'cause I, I'm, I'm actually curious myself. Yeah. So where were you from?
Anja: Uh, I was born in Croatia and I'm Serbian Croatian. So there was that conflict as well.
Adam: Yeah. Yeah. So, so when you see Albanese, um, getting smashed after the Bondi shootings, um, and his next move is to try and ban X in Australia, what does that make you think as somebody coming from a former communist country?
Anja: I like, I've seen this played out before. Before, you know, so I think that's what, what makes me nervous. It's like his whole reaction to the Bondi shooting. Just seems very disingenuous. Um, and I think a lot of people are starting to, to wake up to that. Like a lot of people that may have been swing voters are now like, wait a minute. Like you just can't say certain words out of political correctness. And I can understand why Australians are angry over that. Um, the fact that he's showing up and not showing genuine remorse. Um, I think people can see through that. Uh, the fact that there's an unprecedented level of votes to get him out of office. And every single prime minister since I've been here has had those, John Howard has had signatures to have him resign julia Gillard, Kevin Rudd, um, Tony, um, Abbott. Abbott, they've all done it, but it's been in the thousands of the tens of thousands. And then elbow comes along and it's like hundreds of thousands of signatures to get him out. And just seeing a government, so tone deaf and blaming extremism and blaming all these things that aren't the core issue, it just seems like there's a lot of gas lighting happening. And then again, all of these things that he's trying to implement like the, the latest bill that he's propo, that he's proposing for, you know, the government to become the arbitrary of what's considered hate speech. And, you know, he, he, he defined that in his words. And just hearing those words, like it becomes really ambiguous as to what might be caught in that net and. Who's going to decide that, and so's going to be the government. And the fact that he doesn't like that he's been put in a bikini on X is just, I don't know. It just makes me feel very, very, um, uneasy again. Last year he proposed the MAD bill. Luckily that got shut down. Like, but the fact that there was even a line in there saying, you know, you can't speak up against the Australian economy or the banking system. I'm paraphrasing now, but there was, there was a line like that that just, I don't know. There's too many things that are just making me feel really uncomfortable and I never thought I would see Australia come to this point.
Adam: And I, I think Anya, you, you're hitting on something here. It's another vector, an important vector for the listener around Bitcoin. And I want the listeners to hear that what Anya and I are discussing here, this is respectful discourse about how we feel about our government. I've already spoken to Matt Cameron. I've already spoken to Big Chalky, uh, you know, who's blown up online. I've spoken with the guy from Two Worlds Collide podcast. We've had him on our, on our show. All of these guys could be deemed in the government's eyes and indeed this conversation as defraying the social order, which I think are the words that they're trying to pass through legislation at the moment. If they assess this conversation to be, um, defraying, the Social Order in Australia, we are subject to arrest, to censorship, to fines right. Now this is, again, another vector for why Bitcoin becomes so important because it operates outside of government control. So if they wanted to shut you down on you and, and you didn't have Bitcoin, they could just freeze your bank account. I don't know your circumstances, whether you have kids or kids in school and all these different things, but of course when you've got obligations to live. It's not hard to get an ordinary everyday person to comply if you just squeeze the money supply. Right. But if, if Anya or me have a hundred thousand dollars saved in Bitcoin outside of the banking rails, we are free. Right? We can still transact. We, you know, we can still
Anja: I did, I did actually look at, um, you know, what it would take to leave Australia and you, like, of course it makes sense now in hindsight, but I was just surprised at how you get taxed to death on your way out. And that kind of raised the question for me, like, who does my life belong to?
Adam: Who does all your stuff belong to?
Anja: Like, am I even a real person anymore? Like
Adam: Yeah. Mm, yeah. It's, it's pretty crazy. But it is, it is. Like what, what Anya's talking about here is deemed disposal laws. Um, so when you leave the country, you have to assess all of your assets, even if you're not not selling them, and you have to pay tax on them as if you'd sold them. So they become a capital events, capital, uh, gain events. So your Bitcoin, you establish what you bought it for, what you, what it was worth when you exited and you pay tax on the difference. So I did all of that to leave Australia. That's how much I despised the Australian system, that I was prepared to pay taxes on all these unrealized profits so that they can't touch me again. But now I go to where I'm treated best. Like Andrew Henderson from Nomad Capitalist says, go where you're treated best. And now I'm a sovereign individual. My cost of living's through the floor, my tax is through the floor. Um, and I live in a place where people are nice.
Anja: And relaxed.
Adam: And relaxed. Look, and I like Australia, like I think Australians when they're at their best to some of the best people in the world. But unfortunately, because the monetary system is broken, we have a shit government, Australians are under more pressure than I can ever remember in my life. And anybody under pressure is not their best self. So when I go home to Australia now, I see the stress in people's faces. Um, it, you know, they can't afford things. They're just under pressure all the time. Um, and so that doesn't make for the best situation. And of course, I think the other factor is that a lot of people got rich by just owning real estate rather than doing a lot of personal growth. And I think a degree of arrogance has crept into Australian, um, psyche as a result that didn't used to be there 30 years ago. We were humble. Now, you know, so many people have got, you know, everything because we were blessed with a real estate boom. And, you know, so.
Anja: Mm. Yeah. So do you, do you think there is any hope for Australia, any hope of reform? A new government, eh? Like what would it take? The only
Adam: time, the only time, Anya, that we asked this question, we had an intellectual on our pod called Ross Cameron, who is on the outsiders for the A, B, C for years. Very, very smart Australian. And we asked this exact question and he said, I said, what will it take for Australians to wake up and for things to change? He said, rolling power blackouts. And I was like, oh, wow, that's interesting. I didn't see that. He's like, that's when Australians life will be actually really disrupted. Like when their fridges don't work, there's extended periods where their power's out. They're gonna cry for, um, mercy and, and well, not mercy change. Um, they'll revolt when it really interrupts their lives or a banking collapse, but it's far more likely we'll have rolled back outs before banking collapses in Australia. Probably. But it's not, you done that in, in short, it's gonna be pain, like max pain and the only time it changes when a revolution happens, and I don't think a revolution's gonna happen anytime soon in Australia. Mm-hmm. Um, and uh, I believe that this is gonna be a long, protracted and painful cycle. I turned 50 a year and a half ago and I'm like, you know what people said, oh, you're a deserter. You left the country. I'm like, mate, I paid a lot for my freedom. I paid a lot of tax when I was there. I paid all my taxes when I left. Right. I paid a lot and so I didn't desert shit. I'm not there drawing on your medical system. I'm not using the little green card that has Medicare written on. It's the most expensive card in any Australian's wallet. Right. I don't. I don't use any of the resources, and I've decided actively to make the most of what time I have left in this life, which is involves opting out of. I was really active speaking up against extreme Islam, not against Muslims, but again, against extreme Islamists. I was real, I went and marched in London with Tommy. I've stopped all of that now because it's just not optimizing for my mental health.
Anja: Yeah,
Adam: I, you know, I, I get depressed. It really affects me. I'm minimizing my involvement in social media. I'm building a beautiful home in Bali. I'm gonna grow some tomatoes. Um, I'm gonna have slow mornings and I'm gonna do my very best to be as conscious as I can and live as an ethical, as a life as I can and not get caught in this circus, um, which is controlled by power and evil men and women that desire that power. I just opt out because I'm only here for maybe a few more decades if I'm lucky.
Speaker 5: Not your keys, not your coins. If you're holding Bitcoin, your self custody setup needs to be done right. Mine racks delivers paranoia grade security so that you can sleep at night knowing that your money is protected. Take control and secure your money the honest way. Head to mine racks.com/honest Money.
Anja: Yeah. And when you mention that, you know, there's people that kind of criticize you for being in desert or have noticed this interesting dynamic playing out in Australia quite a bit lately, that people who are speaking up against the government or the policies or about the, the way the economy's run and even considering leaving or have already left. Uh, yeah. Kind of being, um vilified in a way. And it was interesting i, I had a, a, a woman called Katie the Russian on, on my podcast and spoke about like Plan B passports, which she used to do for ultra high net worth individuals. But now you're kind of like, if you're middle class, if you've got a million or 5 million, you can start really considering this as an option. And even if you don't necessarily have any intention of moving in the next few years, having that backup is really important. Um, but that was the first time I had someone on that actually resulted in me losing followers. And it's, it's saddens me because I feel like it's such an important thing to discuss. Even if you don't agree with it, it's important to have this discourse. And this is what again, like some pe people are so collectivist that you can't almost say certain things around them without, you know. I don't know, like
Adam: their, their weakest piss is the word you're looking for. That's,
Anja: that's one weakest piss, that's one way to put it. But you know, as someone who has lived through, you know, what I did in the nineties, in, in the breakdown of Yugoslavia, I am very like pro individual rights. I want everyone to look after their own individual interest. And one thing that I can't unhear after learning about it, when I spoke to a guy called Neil Fletcher who wrote Modern Chains, I learned the concept of a field slave versus a home slave. So a home slave would be someone who, um, perpetuates the cycle of slavery because they had it good enough and they would try to keep the field slaves in check who had much worse working conditions, even though they were both enslaved. And that proximity to power gave them a false sense of, um, stability that I kind of see this a little bit in these people who are, you know, saying like, well, you can't say that about Australia, or You can't leave. You need to like stay here and we must all face the same fate. Like, no, I know I'm gonna lose followers for this.
Adam: Anya like, leaving Australia doesn't diminish your love for the country. Mm. Right. Like, people say to me, why do you speak up? Why don't you just shut up because you are no longer here as if I don't have a right to speak up for the country that I love still. Right? Like, I'm sure there's a part of you that loves where you came from still. Right. It doesn't, you don't hand in your right to, to care about a country. I love the Australia I grew up in. I love my childhood memories in Australia. My mom and dad came out on the war after the war on the, on the As 10 pound poms. And I'm so grateful that they did. And the reason I speak up is because it's so sad to me that it's being lost at the hands of ambitious power, hungry evil pieces of shit that are running our country today that, that, that want to stay in power more than they wanna provide for the people that they are charged with. Caring for. That to me is evil of the highest order. And it really pisses me off. And the, and the, the, the part of the reason I feel I can say this more strongly now is 'cause I'm not there and I'm not in the system now. Mm-hmm. I'm not part of the game. And so, and, and by stepping outside of it, you can see things more clearly. I love Australia, but I love the Australia, I love the values that we had. And when I see um, unchecked immigration. Um, when I see weak policies that are not pushing back on important things like the UAE last week announced that they are banning their citizens. It's not ban, they're cutting funding to their citizens. Normally, if you're a UAE citizen, you study abroad. The government will pay for that study. They cut funding to all UAE citizens going to the uk to going to UK universities. Why? Because they're worried about them getting radicalized by radical Islamists in the uk. This is a Muslim country that is banning their Muslim citizens from going. Meanwhile, in Australia, there's outrage that the council denied an application for a EMBA mosque to broadcast a call to prayer across Australian suburbs. Right. And it was, oh, we should accommodate that. Um, uh, bringing home ISIS brides, you're talking about the partners of men who aimed rifles at Australian soldiers and left Australia to fight the Holy War and kill us, and then bring them back home in the plane to live amongst us. Mm. What the hell is going on? Right? That is not protecting the men and women of Australia that are in uniform and fighting and dying for our country. What kind of spit in the face is that? Mm. Right. And it's about time that Australians started to stand up for that and it, but I don't see it. I see this woke lefty rubbish that's going on. Constant accommodation and not enough pushback on, Hey, this is a Christian country. If you wanna be in this Christian country. These are our values. This is why I spoke up against the burkas , because the history of the burka is suppression of women. It is so that men don't look at women in a desirous ways in case they do something, then it's the woman's fault if they weren't covered in a burka. Do we as an Australian people agree with that as a concept? And if not, why do we allow it? Right. And so anyway, that don't get me started because you see, I'm getting right up there. This is what I'm trying to step away from. I'm getting
Anja: riled up
Adam: and I'm like, I'm trying to just now live my life in peace and not get involved in this, because I know that I'll just get, I'll just get hammered by certain people and, um, and I just don't care. I, I'm just like, all right, I'm just gonna try and live my life peacefully and just, I, I cannot see common sense in Australia anymore.
Anja: Yeah, because this ideology makes it unpopular to say certain things in public. And that al also became really obvious when, you know, with the vo, sorry, with the vote of the voice. Most people voted against it yet on LinkedIn. Um, people that were talking about it with Provo, and then the results come out and it's like, you know, there's a silent majority that feels like if they say something, they'll be placed in a box as being right wing or extreme or racist or this and that, and people just don't wanna deal with the label. Um, it's almost like you can't have a nuanced discussion about things anymore, and it's just yeah. Really frustrating. Um, but yes, I agree. We, this has been a very, a very like, intense conversation. Um. And yeah, I, I felt myself getting a little bit spicy before as well when I was talking about elbow. You
Adam: won't, you won't, you, you're not gonna lose followers here. You're gonna lose the wrong followers. But when you have your voice, you're gonna gain your new audience that will agree with you. So I've had this on my journey to a hundred thousand followers on Instagram. They're all real. I haven't bought followers at any point. Um, you know, I lost people at certain points, but then I added, you know, two for everyone I lost when I started speaking up of the silent majority who were like, no. So, so don't ever be afraid to speak your truth on you. And if you disagree with me, I could still sit and have a civil discourse with you, right? So just keep doing what you're doing. 'cause I agreed to come on your pod because this actually matters. You know, you never know who this will reach. And so keep doing what you're doing. This is grassroots advocacy for your nation.
Anja: Thank you. I will. Thank you. That was really kind of you to say. Um, but yeah, now I just thought maybe we'll pivot to something positive or, or yeah. There's a lot of, um, crazy things going on in the world with Venezuela, with Iran, with the DOJ coming after Jerome Powell and that chair position, you know, being up for nomination soon. It's just a lot of, um, a lot of uncertainty and yeah, it'll be interesting to see where I end up.
Adam: How you, okay.
Anja: No, no, no. Like I, yeah, it's, there was a post that you had on Instagram that I really related to, um, a few days ago, maybe a week ago now. Um, where you feeling like you really wanna slow down? And yeah, I weirdly feel burnt out from last year, and I feel like this year I haven't even had a bit of a reset. And I'm not that busy. There's not that much going on, but I think it's because I'm so involved in politics and news and things that I think that's what's draining me at the moment. So
Adam: I, I don't know you Anya, but I'm just looking at you and I, I wanna send you a big hug because, um, I, I can see in your face how I felt last year. Mm-hmm. Like, in all honesty, I was at my wit's end and I just, um, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but I was exhausted. Um, but what I would recommend is just step away from the news cycle for a minute and go touch some grass. Get yourself in nature because it's really, really depressing. Um, and, uh, it can really consume your soul and not just for you, Anya, for anybody listening to this, both of us, Anya's a great teacher because she's sensitive. And these days it's like people criticize you like you're too soft or you're too sensitive. But the best teachers should be sensitive. The best leaders should be sensitive. That's not weak. It's strong, but at times it's hard. So I just, I just want to see you and anybody else listening who's feeling that way. I want to know that you are. I want you to know that you are seen and appreciated for the work that you're doing. And it's not easy to give a shit and to speak up, but just go touch some grass on your hug. A tree real? Yeah, just get away, get away from the microphone and get away from the speakers and the phones and all that shit. 'cause it is designed to rile you up and make you angry. And the net loss beneficiary of that is you. So, you know, there is lots of beautiful, good things going on in the world as well.
Anja: Absolutely. And on that note, one of the things that I'm really passionate about is education. I always advocate for people to learn about Bitcoin. Don't just buy it without understanding what it is that you are getting. Um, but do you have recommendations other than obviously the, uh, the Bitcoin standard, which you've already mentioned, like where should be people be starting if they wanna embark on this journey?
Adam: So, as we sort of alluded to it throughout this podcast, Bitcoin has many vectors to the story, right? There's the social conscience and the spirituality of Bitcoin. I love that side of it, right? You love that side of it. If that's you, if you are the kind of person that likes to make money, but also it kind of matters to you that. You want to do good and you wanna understand the moral. And I think everybody should have that in them because when times get hard, it helps with the conviction. I think a really magic book for that is called The Tao of Bitcoin, which is TAO, the Dao of Bitcoin as in the Dao de ching. And it's a book that reveals the similarities and alignments between Bitcoin and the Dao, which is one of the most sacred books ever written. Um, beautiful, beautiful book, um, that I learned about through Wayne Dyer. So read the Dao of Bitcoin. Uh, the Bitcoin standard is for just hardcore analytics, understanding why Bitcoin is superior money, why it is superior savings technology, um, and the big print by Larry Lapard that's talks about the, uh, why Bitcoin is the ultimate hedge against, uh, fiat money, which is, um, just printed and made up out of thin air. And then of course there's a whole range of Bitcoin vo voices I think that you should listen to. Um. Jeff Booth, Michael Sailor, you know, all the usual suspects. Just start watching them and YouTube will start serving to you. Uh, people like that. Adam Livingston is a new voice that not a lot of people haven't heard yet, but Adam Livingston is phenomenal, particularly if you're a younger person. Um, he is a former world champion debater. Uh, he has a brain, like a steel trap. Like I listen to the guy and I just feel dumb that he's funny and he's smart and he's successful. So yeah, listen to those and if you can get along to a Bitcoin event, the bigger the better. So one of the best events I went to is Prague, but they have Bitcoin in Las Vegas, Bitcoin and Prague. Bitcoin in Sydney, I think it's called, um, Bitcoin life or something. Mm-hmm. Get into a room full of Bitcoiners and it will forever change you because you'll turn up and you go, these are my people. Right. These are my people. They're morals, they're intelligent. Um, they're rebels. If that's your jam. Uh, and a lot of 'em are rich, so get around them.
Anja: Yeah. I love that. And this is, this is what I love about Bitcoin is in Australia. Like quite often when I go to these meetups, there's people that are quite wealthy in the room, but you would never tell because they're so humble, they're so down to earth. You know, I can have a better conversation with a Bitcoin boomer than I can someone my age out in the street. You know, like there's just, there's just that alignment there. Yeah. But thank you so much for coming on the show. I love to have you on. Um, yeah, it's been amazing.
Adam: My pleasure. Let me know when it's out and I'll, um, share it on my socials for you and, and try and help you channel along.
Anja: Yay. Thank you so much.
Adam: Pleasure. Cheers.
Speaker 4: Still here you are one of the good ones. We'll be back next week with a brand new episode. If you enjoy how we cut through the noise, consider supporting us directly via the Lightning QR code. Got a question or a thought to share? Comments are wide open. We'd love to hear from you. For bonus content and updates, follow us on socials at Honest Money Show. Until next week, take care of yourself and your money and stay decentralized.