Michael: Hello and welcome to Postgres.FM, a weekly show about all things PostgreSQL. I am Michael, founder of pgMustard. I'm joined as always by Nik, founder of PostgresAI. Hey, Nik.
Nikolay: Hi, Michael. How are you?
Michael: Good. And we're delighted to be joined by Bruce Momjian, who is VP of Postgres Evangelist at EDB and long-serving Postgres Core Team member who recently gave a new talk about the missing features in Postgres. So welcome Bruce, it's an honour to have you here. Bruce: Good to be with you. Michael: Wonderful. Perhaps we could get started with why this topic, why is it important
or why is it important to you? Bruce: So I'd love to say that I thought of this topic and I'm a genius, but no, actually Melanie Plageman came to me in Riga, PG Europe in the fall. And she said, we'd really love you to do a new talk at the PGConf.dev Conference in Vancouver. I said, okay. And she said, how about things that aren't in Postgres? I think, wow, that's a great idea. So then I guess I was showing these slides to Robert Haas once I finished them. And he's like, wow, Melanie got a mention. I'm like, yeah, I said half the job is figuring out what topic to do for a talk. So he said, I'll have to think about that now. I can get a mention just by thinking of a topic. I don't even have to do the talk. So yeah, I thought it was a cool idea. I never would have thought of it. There's a couple of my talks where you'll see in the introduction of title concept from text, because again, I have about 60, 65 talks I think now and it's hard to, 67, it's hard to think of like topics. I've been really lucky because I did 2 new ones in the fall of last year. 1 is this talk, another is the wonderful world of WAL, which is about the write-ahead log, and then I have a third 1 which is more of an AI talk. I already have 2 AI talks. This is another 1 called building an MCP server using Postgres. So I got 3 new talks queued up for 2026. So it's unusual for me. I write my talks and basically give them for maybe a year around and then come up with a new 1 because I've been doing it for 30 years. So on average, I'm making 2 talks a year because I have 67, but this year I get 3. So I was like, wow, this is great. And Melanie, I have to give her credit for the topic on this one.
Michael: That's awesome to hear. Friend of the show Melanie, she's been a guest before. That's good to hear.
Nikolay: Yeah, I have a question. If my memory doesn't play a game with me, 20 years ago I remember you maintained the to-do list.
Bruce: That's right.
Nikolay: Isn't this a to-do list?
Bruce: Is this a to-do list? I would say no. The to-do list is basically driven by what people have asked for. It could be a small thing, it could be a big thing. This is more of the, I would say, the big missing features. And a lot of them are ones that we had no intention of doing. So it's sort of like, let's step back. Let's look at what big things were missing. Let's look at what big things we're maybe working on. And then look at some of the big things that we'll probably never do.
Nikolay: So it's strategic.
Bruce: Much more strategic. You're right. If I drill down to the to-do list, we'll be here forever. But again, I think it is valuable to step back and look at what is missing and what isn't. And I even learned something just by writing the talk because stepping back far enough and looking at the missing things that, so I think I have, what is that? 12 items. And what's interesting is 11 of the 12 items relate to performance. That surprised me.
Michael: If you had to guess beforehand, what would you thought more of them would be?
Bruce: I thought it would be basically missing operational features or missing security features. Well, that's TD is that 1. That's the 1 of the 12, right? Missing just integration, infrastructure, some of these big missing things. But when I actually wrote them down, I kind of like, wow. So 11 of the 12 are basically related to scaling, either on a single host, 7 of them, or multiple hosts, which is another area we need to work on. So you got really 2 kind of 11 of the 12 performance, 7 of them are for single host and 4 of them are for multi-host. And again, I just never suspected that it would be a performance need and not an operational need. If I had done this 10 years ago, I know there would have been a whole bunch of things that...
Nikolay: I can bring some ideas. Maybe I should do it in the end, which are not performance related and definitely big missing pieces And they're not included to your list. So maybe let's
Bruce: see. I have... What's interesting, I've given this twice, both in January, 1 in Prague, 1 in Brussels, and nobody really came up, in those groups, nobody really came up with anything that was wrong. The only, I think, feeling I got was some of the people were sort of like, well Oracle RAC has some value in these small use cases. And I'm like, yeah. So there was a little bit of, you don't have this Oracle thing or multi-master like, well maybe there was some value. So I get it. Yeah, it's there, but I didn't get anything that sort of shocked me. So I'll be interested to see if you have anything that was sort of like,
Nikolay: Sounds good, I will do it.
Bruce: Yeah, I want to hear this.
Michael: Why don't we do it straight away?
Bruce: Sure.
Nikolay: Right now, let's discuss this. Okay, I'm looking at your list and I don't see, for example, synchronous replication improvements because right now synchronous replication is not all right. If you maybe watched Kukushkin's talk last summer talking about caveats, and This is a big topic, for example, when there are new people coming to Postgres ecosystem from MySQL, for example, and 1 of big group is Multigres, creators of Vitess. Some words from them, some words from Kukushkin, and I see synchronous replication is not all right because it's based on logs And if primary already written data, and then it suddenly restarts, primary thinks data is written, standby never accepted. This is 1 thing. Another thing is that if you have logical replication involved, There is a nightmare to handle that. Basically you lose, during failover with issues, you lose logical replica. And looking at other systems, including MySQL, there is a big potential to improve synchronous replication. Basically some people won't say names but just watch Kukushkin's talk. It's broken right now.
Bruce: So I'm working on the PG 19 release notes. I do see improvements in both of those areas in the release notes that I'm working on. They're not done yet, it won't be done for about 2 weeks. But it'd be interesting if you could come back and take a look and see what was done. So what I didn't, what happens in that particular example, both examples, is you're now out of the 30,000 foot and you're now getting down. And there's totally stuff to do.
Nikolay: Sorry, I'm not getting down. When people with enterprise and big cluster experience come, they say, where is synchronous replication? We cannot build proper clusters. And what I'm telling them, most people still use asynchronous replication and they cannot believe. They cannot believe. Really?
Bruce: Yes. How can
Nikolay: they say? Other systems have proper synchronous replication with proper consensus algorithm. This is another topic. There are many attempts to bring consensus algorithm or something inside Postgres, right? That's similar to pooler question. It's always there are many ways, and so this topic is not about performance, it's about HA.
Bruce: No, what I'm saying, I'm saying, Dan, what I'm saying is I'm trying to look at this from a very high level to look at big holes. What you're actually looking at is we have the feature but it doesn't work right or it needs whatever. I get that but again if I go down that level I'll never get done right. I'm trying to from the top look for these big holes and actually to me not only look at the big holes, but look at why are they holes, right? Because a lot of people who aren't me or you, who are sitting watching everything that's happening all 25 hours a day, right? They're like, what's the problem? What's the holdup? And then the other thing for me is, by having that 10,000-foot view, I see a pattern clearer than I could see when I was down in the... I'm not disputing that these things are not feature complete, I would say. It's not atypical for us, particularly with partitioning and logical replication and failover, to take years to get to a feature complete point. And I think we are in a feature complete 0.1 whole bunch of areas, but I tried to stay away from, okay, we're not feature complete here, we're not feature complete there. I'm like, what things are we not even like moving in? And there are a bunch of them that I would say we're just not engaged at all.
Nikolay: Yeah, I get that. That's a good description. And when you're at this highest level, you see a lot of performance related stuff, right?
Bruce: That's right. At that level, I see a lot of stuff that we're not even in the ballpark in. That we're just scratching the surface. I'm not saying all the things we've done so far that have been implemented or done perfectly or feature completely clearly are not. But at least I feel we're moving there. What I see up top is a whole class of things where we're not even engaging, and we may not need to engage. It's more of a thought experiment for people to come in and say, okay, what things are they not even in the ballpark on? And it's helpful to know, because if you look at the list it's not a terrible list. And if you think this is the biggest stuff we don't have, we must have a lot of stuff, right? Because I can't think of any other big things except these 12. There might be 1 or 2 that somebody will think of at some point. But I think for me it's a great exercise in seeing where we are at that big level. Where do we think we need to go 05:10 years out? That's usually the area, that's the distance I'm looking at, Not necessarily what comes in 19 or 20. I think some of the stuff you're looking for it's coming in those releases
Nikolay: That's good.
Bruce: But what stuff would do we really need to at least evaluate and say is this a direction we need to go in or not?
Michael: Looking through the list it struck me that there's a bunch of things that you can currently do, but you need extensions or a separate tool. You can use Postgres and get those features, but you need an extension or another service like PgBouncer or something. But there's also a bunch that you literally can't do with Postgres, so you would stick with maybe a proprietary database or just a different solution completely, maybe a fork or something like that. So it felt like there's that kind of 2 categories there where there are things you can do with Postgres, but you need something outside of core. And there are things that you can't do with it. So is there 1 of those that's more interesting than the other in terms of bringing into core?
Bruce: That's funny you mentioned that. I really struggled with that question. And the audience struggled with that question. I remember people saying, hey, what about this? What about that? And I think the version, these slides are regularly updated. Like every time I give a talk, I think it's something that, I'm just looking at 1 of the capitalizations I did wrong. Anyway, I'll fix that after this talk. But my point is that you're right. You have, there's like concentric circles. So if you're willing, if you're willing to go to a proprietary fork of Postgres, it's a big circle, right? And then if you're willing to use extension or external tools, let's say external tools and then proprietary extensions and then extensions And then the core, right? And in fact, maybe I should have a slide for this to illustrate what that span is. And in a lot of cases, we will say we have it. This is just great you asked that question. Nobody asked it quite the same way you did. So the question, some of the complaints we have are not that it's not available as either an extension or an external tool or a proprietary work of Postgres. The complaint we have is it's not in core Postgres. Or that there's an extension, but the extension, because it's an extension, doesn't work exactly the same way it could possibly work if it was in core. Or if it's a third-party tool, the third-party tool is not as effective or easy to use as it would be if it was integrated, which is the connection pooling example.
Nikolay: Or there's a choice of them. Like, why a choice of them?
Bruce: Right, there's a choice of them. Although the choice of them I kind of like, particularly in the pgpool, PgBouncer realm, there is actually a reason for that. But my point is that some of the missing stuff, even something like column there, right? You could say we have extensions to do that, but yeah, I guess, but I'm not really happy with that and I'm not necessarily wedded to Citus and it has limitations and because it's an extension, it might not be available. So you get all these sort of complaints And it brings you to a bigger philosophical question of, does everything need to be in core, right? And there's probably not. I think pgvector is a great example of something external that can be developed on its own release cycle. And it really doesn't hamper its ability to be used effectively with the code. But when you're starting to talk column there, you're starting to talk connection pooling, where you have problems with authentication going through the connection pooler. We've tried to improve that, but it's still kind of yucky. You know, logical replication at DDL, you know, another one's available as an external proprietary product but not in the code. TDE is a classic that's available in a bunch of external stuff. It's not available in the code. So it's sometimes when people complain or it's missing, what I tried to focus on was basically in this talk, is it available either in Postgres or as an extension that has no downsides? That's my litmus test. Anything that has limitations and is an extension, limitations as a third party tool, or obviously as a proprietary fork, those are going to be effectively not available in the community. And we have to decide, is that a good place to be, a bad place to be? Maybe that's fine.
Michael: I really like the concentric circles thought and I want just on the kind of the last 2, is there also a difference in your head between contrib extensions and core? Like, for example, pg_stat_statements, a lot of the pg_stat_* views are on by default when people install Postgres, but pg_stat_statements isn't. So like that's an interesting, I don't know if that's too semantic a discussion, but that feels interesting to me as is that missing or not really missing?
Bruce: You're right. That's another concentric circle.
Nikolay: Yeah.
Bruce: Right. So yeah, see like pgvector, maybe that would be nice to be in contrib instead of being external. But then if we pulled into contrib and its release cycle becomes tied to the major releases. Maybe that's not a good idea, I don't know. And when you start to talk about the cloud vendors will support some contrib extensions and not others, and you get people who pull me aside, hey, why don't you move this into core, get out of contrib, And I'm like, what's the matter with contrib? And you're like, well, my cloud vendor doesn't support it. I'm like, okay, so you're complaining to me that your cloud vendor doesn't support something we're already shipping. Is that, do you think that's gonna be like fruitful? And they're like, well, why isn't it? But there's a variety of reasons that stuff is in contrib. It may be an edge use case. It may be like pg_stat_statements, creates its own tables and has its own overhead that we're not sure everyone would want. So that kind of makes sense out there. Some of them like an oddball 1 like cube, an edgy case, pg_trgm. I don't know. It's hard to say. Is it better as an extension? Is it going to be better in core? You can make a case either way, I would say.
Michael: Nice. From the list, are there any that are like particularly your favorites or ones that you would love to see progress on or do you not like to pick favourites?
Bruce: Yeah, the 2 that I've really felt called to champion are cluster file encryption, which is called TDE in the industry and sharding. Those are the 2 that I have the biggest impact in terms of adoption and expanding Postgres workloads for me. The other ones are interesting, but they're more... I don't see them as expanding the Postgres adoption universe. That's, I guess, the phrase I would use. Yeah, The other ones are good, but they're more operational. It would be nice to have this. I would be more optimized if I had this other thing. For me, the sharding and the TDE really take Postgres to a new level. I would say in both of those, I've pretty much either failed or executed poorly in terms of because I've been working, at least championing those for at least 5 years now. I don't feel I've made a lot of, I guess I've been waiting for a groundswell of support because both of them were very hard to implement as an individual. I got close with TDE but got stuck on something. And sharding, I think, it really requires a team. I don't think I've seen the kind of desire behind that. I think part of the reason for sharding is that machines keep getting so big that effectively you're better off just buying a bigger machine or renting a bigger machine than going down the sharding route. Because the sharding route really is very workload specific and there's an increasing dislike of workload specific things in an enterprise. There's a much more push toward just generic compute, generic solutions, generic, and the sort of, oh, I got... with special chips on the drive, which filter stuff, and oh, I got this special, whatever, special hardware does something. It just, the enterprise focus is a lot less on hardware now, a lot less on infrastructure, a lot more on solutions. Maybe That might be good, I'm not saying good or bad, but I think sharding is... As people needed sharding, systems have increased in size, really pretty much in lockstep to what they needed. So the number of people who actually need it is limited, and the number of people who are willing to put in the effort to architect it is also limited.
Nikolay: Yeah, I agree with you that hardware available right now is so huge. Recently, I saw a cluster which had default vacuum settings, self-managed. So usually like RDS or others, they tune, half-tune it. But it was the default of the vacuum settings, 3 workers only, nothing tuned, and it was 20 terabytes and somehow surviving. It was insane, absolutely. So how is it possible? But at the same time, RDS and CloudSQL and others, they have hard limit. I know they work on it. And Aurora has more 64 terabytes. And these days to collect that amount of data is not rare already. Even 1 person surrounded by AIs can collect a lot of data. This is 1 thing. And another thing is that there are hard problems. For example, lightweight lock manager problem, which was solved in Postgres 18. There are other problems as well when you grow to some heights you encounter with Some people would not like to spend time firefighting, so Sharding is really needed. But I guess, what's your take? For me, it's really hard to find consensus how to achieve it. Also, sharding topic usually triggers topics like internal connection pooler, for example, because they are adjacent. If you talk about routing and so on, you think about also auto failover, you think about connection pooling. These topics usually come together in my head. But there are other ways to do sharding. There are many ways. What's your take? Will it ever be implemented in core or no?
Bruce: I've always been the opinion, I do have a sharding talk on my website, but I've always been the opinion that sharding has to be really developed organically within Postgres, and it really has to be built on effectively partitioning foreign data wrappers and parallelism. I don't think we're going to have the appetite to create a whole new architecture for sharding. And as every year that goes by, it becomes clearer that, yeah, we just can't. So I think we can get closer than we are now with little impact. I think if we, for read-only sharding, I think we want to do read-write sharding, then we have to have a global LockManager, global snapshot manager. It becomes much more complicated. Yeah, I keep going there and people who think they need it effectively don't end up needing it or end up getting bigger hardware or they re-architect what they're doing and then they don't need it anymore. So I think that's 1 of the reasons it hasn't moved forward. But I do think, I think for the right only sort of a data warehouse kind of sharding, I think within 2 years we could have a pretty good solution in the industry. But I just haven't seen a lot of, There's 1 guy in Fujitsu who was working on it, but that was about it. And frankly, it's been pretty dormant for the past 2 years, and I haven't had time to work on it much either.
Nikolay: Yeah. If you stay on a single primary cluster, there is a big limitation, well known for those who achieved some heights, where you have 200, 300 maybe bytes per second. We talked about this a lot with folks who develop sharding systems. You hit the limits of single threaded process of logical, physical, logical, logical, WAL receiver, basically. Not WAL receiver, a replay process, right? In it, it shows up as a neat and top, which basically replays the changes from the primary and it's a single threaded process. And I know also somebody from Japan working on it since 2013, I think, on and off. I saw some conference talks and so on. This problem is not included to your list. It's not a small problem if you achieve heights. What do you think about that problem?
Bruce: Yeah, so as I remember, that was the 1 where they're trying to create a dependency graph from the WAL, and therefore identify which parts of the WAL are parallelizable, and send those off to workers. CPUs do that now with CPU instructions. They figure out which parts can be run on different cores or in parallel cores. Yeah, you're right. But we don't
Nikolay: have threading, so, yeah.
Bruce: I don't know. I don't know if threading is... Threading's on the list that I have. I don't
Nikolay: know if
Bruce: threading I'm not sure threading is a requirement for that, because we do have parallelism without threading now. It seems to work fine. Because you load them into a shared memory queue and the process just pulls out of there. I don't know. I think you're right. I think that would be getting a paralyzable replay of logical replication. Physical doesn't seem to matter too much because it's so fast that...
Nikolay: Hold on 1 second. Logical I think already, if there is work maybe in Postgres 18 or something, I remember something for logical to parallelize it.
Bruce: To parallelize it, okay.
Nikolay: I think so. Technically you can parallelize it with multiple publication subscription pairs, multiple slots, but it will be having problems with foreign keys. It will be eventually consistent in terms of referential integrity. I'm talking purely about physical replication.
Bruce: Physical replication, okay.
Nikolay: And this is limit some companies hit, and it's super painful because there is no escape from it. You need to do either sharding or vertical split. You need to achieve some, like a lot of writes basically.
Bruce: I think the reason we don't hear about it a lot in the community level, and this might be different from the level that you're working at, is we're definitely a general purpose database. And not that we can't go to the heights and we keep pushing the ceiling up higher and higher, but there is a limit to how much complexity we're willing to add, and potentially unreliability to Postgres to get up to the super heights. It's possible that's why I know you specialize in that area. That's possible we don't hear a lot about it. That didn't get on my list as something that I've heard a lot about. I don't see many email threads really addressing that.
Nikolay: This is so. But I know, for example, Instacart hit it years ago, during COVID actually, and there are others who hit it. Sometimes people hit it and don't notice because, okay, some replica are lagging a little bit and so on. Yeah, but I understand it's not a super common problem. Yeah.
Bruce: We had a, EDB had a customer who hit it on specialized storage hardware and we identified that it was the storage hardware that was causing it. So that was, yeah, that was kind of a get new hardware, get new storage hardware, your problem will go away. So that was, I think the answer to that 1.
Nikolay: Okay,
Bruce: yeah. That's the only case I've heard of replay complaints and lagging in my work. Yeah.
Nikolay: But what's your take on threading topic? Because there was a big impulse a couple of years ago from Heikki originally, I think.
Bruce: Yeah. I have a blog entry about it, which kind of from 2018, which references, I think it might even references Heikki's, Heikki's, let me see if it references Heikki's email. No, it doesn't. I think we're still on the fence on that 1. We keep chewing away at some of the small things like getting rid of global variables, I think was 1. And I think the other thing that's going to bail us out here is that we now have, it appears as though we never have compiler support for this. So instead of having to re-architect all our code, it looks like there's some, if we can get rid of the global variables, which is pretty simple, it looks like the compiler will sort of read local a lot of stuff for us to make it easier without us having to like really re-architect a lot of the code. So I'm hoping in that area. But my understanding is that the threading prototypes don't seem to gain a whole lot. They don't, at least from what we found, because it reduces task switching time. But again, for example, if you're doing a GUI, you really need threading because you're updating a whole bunch of stuff on the screen at once and you have 1 of all these background jobs to be running in your address space and so forth to update a whole bunch of very light processes and light statuses. But when you start to talk about a database, there really isn't a whole lot of light out there. Yeah, I guess we could do index lookups with threads. That would be cool.
Nikolay: Visibility bits maybe?
Bruce: Visibility, yeah. But the problem is there's a lot of the stuff is really heavy. For example, when you're trying to paralyze a query, those are not light, right? So you might as well just get a process and run it and have its own everything. So I think that's what has slowed it down. Another problem obviously is resiliency. Right now if a session crashes or runs out of memory or whatever, we keep running just fine, unless it's in a critical section. Whereas with threading, it would make us less resilient to sessions that misbehave, and we have to balance those 2 off. We know the value of threading, and then the less resiliency of it. I don't really know the answer. I've been surprised we haven't done more in this area, but it appears to not be a huge problem if I'm not hearing about it every couple months. I certainly
Nikolay: am not. Let's talk about huge problems related to 4 byte transaction IDs, which is included to your list, 8 byte transaction IDs. And some folks have them for years already. And also there is, I saw some preparation work and so on. I'm very curious What are your forecasts and take on this? But also, which is not included to your list, is undo log and redesigning MVCC and these topics which were quite popular a few years ago. There are some efforts, but now like silence. Maybe I don't see it, but...
Bruce: No, I think you're right on the MVCC. I mean, we had the Zheap effort by Robert Haas. That was probably 10 years ago. And he really poured into it, but I think the job just got too large. And I think you also, once you start to look at what undo requires, things get very complicated. So I'm not saying it's not doable, but you end up with a lot of complicated challenges And Oracle suffered from those challenges for decades until they finally figured out how to deal with them. So what would we gain by having an undo? Certainly it would make updates easier. I'm not sure it would help with something like deletes or aborted inserts.
Nikolay: I think it's deletes. Let's just update and see.
Bruce: Yeah, just update and be done with it, exactly.
Michael: It's all the bloat and vacuum issues, I think, that people are most excited about getting rid of.
Bruce: Yeah, I mean, but at the same time they keep improving vacuum every release I saw it in the thing. You have today's vacuum, you have the vacuum from 2 years ago, you have the vacuum 5 years ago. Which 1 are we complaining about? Because in fact it has gotten better. I'd love to just get rid of the whole thing. I don't think we Even with an undo, I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to get rid of vacuum.
Nikolay: Because it has different jobs as well.
Bruce: Right, because of the problem with aborted inserts and deletes and so forth. So what is that going to look like? I don't know. I'm surprised at how long we've been able to stay with what we got, what, 30, 40 years ago. Much more simpler architectural setup. It's funny, I had a discussion with somebody and I was in Geneva for the CERN PGDay and somebody came to me and they were talking about page compression. Do we do page compression? And I have a blog entry about it and I showed it to him and he didn't really, I hoped he would read it from my phone, but he didn't want to. I said, why do you want page compression? He said, it requires less disk space. I said, this is not the 1990s. What actual reason? I said, I understand why it was needed 30 years ago, but I'm not sure that, because once we compress a page, then obviously if we do an update and then the new data can't be compressed as well, then we got a bigger page, you've got to put that somewhere, and where do we put it, and then how do we deal with the index entries, and like what are we really gaining once we're all done all that computation, all that moving the data around, What have we really gained with the compression? Now we can use storage compression, right? You can, there is storage compression. I think Postgres will run on that. But again, that pushes the problem down to the storage layer. I don't know what performance would be like, because frankly, databases don't like compression of that size. But I guess my point is that he was asking for a very specific thing, but when I asked him why he wanted it, he really couldn't articulate except, okay, it uses less disk space, but I wasn't sure what the goal was there. So for
Nikolay: me, compression related to, let's compress data, it's more related to Column storage and how there you can compress.
Bruce: I told him that. I said, if you're telling me Column storage, that's a completely different setup. And we do have solutions for that. But again, you're assuming a lot of duplicate data in the same Column, duplicate data. And that's a different case than compressing an 8K page on disk. And it's like, no, no, no, I don't want that. I want the 1 about the page. I don't see anybody working on that. And I'm like, okay.
Nikolay: We don't serve this in this restaurant.
Bruce: Yeah, we don't serve that. In terms of 64-bit transaction IDs, I think it's a little hard to understand what's going on when you look at the email threads, because I think the impetus is that Postgres Pro has a version of Postgres that does 64-bit transaction IDs. And therefore, you don't have to freeze and the whole thing there. But as we talked about earlier, Nikolay, I think that the Postgres Pro customers are really at the very high end throughput requirements And they're willing to pay for that. They're willing to have a more complex system that does that. But when we're now in the more generic workload case, the Russians have been very willing to give us the patches to do it. But there's a resistance in terms of exactly how to do it. In a way, it's going to benefit the high-end users, no question. And 1 of the things I've learned in the past year is that 1 of the reasons that Oracle looks that way, and a lot of the proprietary forks look the way they do, is because they're really selling to that top 5% of market volume. Whereas when Postgres is working on its code, we're trying to hit that 50% mark, right? And the reason Oracle is so complicated, the reason a lot of these databases become complicated or add these complicated features is because they're really selling, they don't really care. I don't say they don't care, but they're only really focused on their top 50 customers and everyone else is just along for the ride. And therefore you get these very complicated systems with a lot of weird options, which were added only because 1 of the 50 wanted it. You have this very high-end group who's very demanding, who's calling the shots, and they're dragging the Database into this high-end volume. But every time they're dragging it up there, they're potentially making the generic workload either slower or harder or less efficient. And they effectively don't care because the money is in that high-end.
Nikolay: Let me comment, please. I cannot keep silence here because we help startups. Our primary customer is startup which grew some terabytes and they saw something and they hit problems. And last couple of years we experienced a lot of AI startups, and this is crazy, absolutely. They reach heights much more quicker with much less effort and resources. And they start hitting problems, for example, very quickly when freezing is a big problem and we need to do manual freezing to skip indexes, for example. This is very common right now for us. And second thing is that we're already losing some of them, because when we start saying you need like partitioning is like you need to allocate some resources for this like experiments and so on. Yeah. They switch to different database system or quickly consider it where like less headache. But this concerns me a lot.
Michael: Isn't that kind of Bruce's point? That if they're an Oracle customer and they grew to being a significant portion of revenue worth saving, that's different. If it's the Postgres, like the Postgres project doesn't have to listen to the huge customers because they're paying. Maybe Oracle incentivized to listen to those customers more than the average customer or more than all the little guys. So Postgres is a different landscape where we can listen to people more like across the board, not just the guys hitting extreme scale.
Nikolay: My point is that the smaller teams have bigger databases with increasing speed. They hit problems which were hit only by big users before more and more often. These guys are more ready to switch faster because they are surrounded by AI themselves, because they are AI startups.
Bruce: What do they switch to?
Nikolay: Sometimes proprietary databases, AWS or GCP, what they offer. Sometimes MongoDB also, like on the table sometimes, go into different problems. But I'm just concerned that I see this different thing that I didn't see 20 previous years.
Bruce: So if we look at what's going on with the 64-bit IDs as a microcosm, So they're willing to give us all the patches to make this happen, right? But what's happened is that we've only incrementally implemented those. We have some of them in PG 19. For example, the MultiXact sizes are now 64-bit. The members or the groups, I can't remember, I think it's the groups.
Nikolay: And sorry, we had a couple of good examples last year and some of them came to our podcast where this was exhausted, this space.
Bruce: The multi-tac.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah. And also AI startups which have a lot of data very fast.
Bruce: So there's 1, 2 ways we can go at it. We could just go whole hog, 64-bit everything, increase the header size by 33% by making them 64-bit and be done with it. But we're worried about the impact on an average user. So what we've been doing is slowly 64-bit, enabling the server, MultiXact is 1, and there's some other areas. I think C-log we're looking at doing. I don't know if we got to that. So we're trying to do it. We're trying to 64-bit the areas that are costless to us, basically, where we can increase it without really any problems. And then I think once we get to that, now we have 64-bit pretty much everywhere that we can easily do it. Then we have to look at, okay, now at the places they're going to cost us, what do we do? I think one of the great ideas that I saw was to get basically an epoch LSN on the page header so that you could basically say that for mass loads of data, you're doing a mass load of data which a lot of these companies do, effectively all the tuples are in the same transaction. They're clearly all in the same epoch, right? So you just put one epoch and then all your heap tuples look just the same as they did before. Right. I think that's where we're going is the concept of having an epoch on the page and then basically allow those not to necessarily have to be frozen at all. I think if we start to bring the epoch down to individual rows and we increase the header size, which people have already complained is too big, then we potentially could get complaints. I think that, if I had to take a guess, I think that's where we're going, but we're going at it very incrementally, again, hitting all the places that store LSNs outside of the heap and index pages, because we know those are going to be complicated, and get the infrastructure done. I know that we have some patches in 19 for that. I've seen them coming through. They got committed. Then we have to decide, Okay, now that all this stuff is in place, let's put up a proof of concept. Let's see what a per-page EPOCH looks like. Let's do some loading of data. Let's see how far this gets us down the road. We don't have a whole lot of empty space on the pages, so it'll be a little tricky to figure out where to put it, but I think we can find a place to put it. But I think that's where we basically are is trying to figure out once we get all the bottom stuff done, what do we do for the main stuff, the heap and the index pages.
Michael: Nice. I think that makes a ton of sense. And I really like the incremental approach that Postgres takes. I've only been in and around the project for the past 10 years or so.
Bruce: It's a lot!
Michael: I know, it's a lot compared to some, but it pales in comparison to 30 years. And it's been really nice seeing the incremental improvements but also that they stack up. It really has come a long way in 10 years and things that looked incremental kind of 9 years ago, 8 years ago, 7 years ago, they've really added up and you mentioned vacuum but it's it's not just vacuum right All of the changes that have been that have helped with index bloat. They kind of attacking from the other direction. So it's
Bruce: that's very true. Yeah, replication. Yeah, yeah, partitioning, yeah.
Michael: Yeah, I like that approach and I feel like it might sound like it's going to be slow, but time will fly in a few years. I can imagine us having made significant progress on some of these things. So yeah, that's really cool. Bruce, I'm conscious of time. Is there anything we didn't talk about that you wanted to make sure we did mention or any last shout outs or pointers you wanted to give people?
Bruce: No, I was just nice that we got a chance to at least talk about, to me, the categories of what's missing was a big takeaway for me to understand, like, why are we here? Why don't we have some of the stuff that we're missing and some of the stuff we may never have? Optimizer hints. Although that seems like a portion of that is coming in Postgres 19. It's not called Optimizer Hints, it's called advise, but it could be used in a similar way. So again, I think that we don't have a roadmap. That's the problem. We don't, because we're too dynamic to have a roadmap. So it's almost a surprise by me to see what gets in every release. And, I think everybody's pleasantly surprised by what's in 19 and obviously what we're going to be starting for Postgres 20 in July.
Michael: Yeah, absolutely. And I think I saw the work from Robert. I think it was in contrib modules, right? At least the first version.
Bruce: pg_plan_advice, yeah.
Michael: Yes. Looks very cool. All right. Well, thank you so much for joining us. I'm sorry Nik had to drop off It's absolute pleasure having you
Bruce: Great. Thanks for nice talking to you.
Michael: Likewise.