Junior to Senior with David Guttman
James and David talk about learning new codebases, avoiding burnout, and being a humble programmer
- Building tools developers use
- Learning a new codebase
- The viability of open source careers
- What makes a good team member
- Avoiding burn out
- “Every line of code you change is going to have an impact somewhere and it's going to impact someone.” - JS
- “The amount of knowledge you have...will never define you, it's how you apply it, it’s how you recover from mistakes.” - JS
- “[How to learn faster] Figuring out what you don't know and knowing how to quickly identify the gaps in your own knowledge.” - JS
- “I don't mind helping...but I also want to see you putting in the effort yourself to figure it out.” - JS
- “[Learning new code bases] I fiddle and break things, and then figure out what broke.” - JS
- “If you're just spending all your time looking at code and thinking about code, you will burn out very quickly.” - JS
- “The people that I enjoy working with the most take a very humble approach to the code they write.” - JS
What is Junior to Senior with David Guttman?
A weekly show for ambitious devs who want to take their career to the next level.