Nikolay: Hello, hello, this is Postgres.FM. My name is Nikolay, Postgres.AI, and with me as usual my co-host Michael, pgMustard. Hi Michael, how are you doing?
Michael: Hello Nikolay, I'm good, how are you?
Nikolay: Very good, very good. So it was my turn to choose the topic. And I chose the topic naturally. I thought we didn't discuss EXPLAIN. Never, ever we discussed EXPLAIN, right? We didn't do it. But then I googled and found out that you discussed it without me. So I thought, it doesn't count. Let's discuss once again, but maybe going deeper in some places.
Michael: Yeah, I covered the basics and I think it's a good suggestion to cover more advanced topics. I think EXPLAIN is one of those topics that you can just keep getting more advanced. And there's definitely a level at which I'll get way out of my depth. But yeah, there's definitely room for a second episode where we go into more advanced topics for sure.
Nikolay: Right. And just to those who don't know, you spend most of your professional time dealing with plans because pgMustard is helping people analyze and improve queries, particular queries, looking at EXPLAIN plans, right?
Michael: Yeah, exactly. It's a visualization tool for EXPLAIN and then also tries to provide performance advice based on that. So we get normally people's more complex query plans. So I guess this is an area that I've got more practical experience than most. Obviously, everyone knows when you're building something, people that build healthcare software aren't always intimately familiar with everything about healthcare. There's certain things you get really familiar with, but you also end up having to deal with things that are not to do with that at all. But yeah, I have over the past few years come across probably most variations of how performance problems can be shown via EXPLAIN plans. I have some blind spots for sure but yeah it's been a big thing for me but also for you right like this is a big part of your work's been performance consulting and
Nikolay: yeah well It's
Michael: hard to do that without EXPLAIN.
Nikolay: For me, EXPLAIN is not the number 1 tool usually, except cases when a customer asks us to help with a specific query, which happens as well. But usually we deal with analysis, like top-down analysis of whole workload. We start with pg_stat_statements and wait event analysis, performance insights, and ideas or something. Then we go down and when we identify first aggregated query or normalized query in official pg_stat_statements terminology. Only then we find examples of bad behaving query. Then we discuss how to improve, where to, we need a playground, a proper playground, and maybe we will want to discuss how to make it so EXPLAIN plans match what we see in production. And only then we go and check the actual plan and try to improve it and so on. Sometimes we have auto_explain, right? auto_explain is a great tool.
Michael: Yeah, we did an episode on that too.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah, I remember. And yeah, if you have it, it's great. But it's not always so. It's not enabled by default. It requires some effort to be enabled. Although it's present, it's available everywhere. So I wish I saw it more often.
Michael: Did you see I did a blog post on this this year on which cloud providers provide access to EXPLAIN? I don't
Nikolay: remember honestly, I need to check it.
Michael: I'll share it, it's not the most interesting read, but it's like a good reference and I find it useful for if somebody mentions a cloud provider to me.
Nikolay: So everyone has it right?
Michael: Yes, pretty much. Not quite everyone but pretty much everyone. And Most of them provide access to most parameters, so EXPLAIN and auto_explain have a bunch of parameters and I found it hard to check which ones offered which parameters. And I've got good news as well, actually. I got a nice direct message from somebody who works at AWS and the parameters they didn't offer, there's like 2 or 3 that they didn't offer, they've submitted a pull request for. So I'm looking forward to the next release of the RDS products, which I think will include those.
Nikolay: That's good. So yeah, of course, we also deal with explain, but it's just 1 of the things and we probably don't dive too deep as you do. So where do you want to start
Michael: this discussion? It was your suggestion, what do you want to start?
Nikolay: Oh, but you're an expert, right?
Michael: Okay, alright, maybe. I'm not sure, I still feel really uncomfortable with the word expert.
Nikolay: I'm feeling very uncomfortable with the word analyze. It should be execute, not analyze, right? In the EXPLAIN command.
Michael: I mean, naming... I've been thinking about naming for a while with this because part of our tool, we give people something to copy and paste so they can easily copy it and put it in front of their query if they're using a like PSQL or an editor or something. And it's getting longer and longer. The more parameters that get added to EXPLAIN the more like and and the more information the better for when you're using a tool. If you don't have to worry about the output getting long and your visualization tool should be pointing people at the right place anyway, the amount of data is like the more the better really. The more information you get, the more likely it is you can point out the problem. However, that it's become like EXPLAIN and then in parenthesis, ANALYZE, BUFFERS, VERBOSE, SETTINGS, FORMAT, JSON, and there's more. There's like, wow, now there's serialize and memory, but most of these are off by default so you have to specify all of them to get all of the information. So ANALYZE is 1 of them but the reason I was thinking about naming was I wondered if we could I was wondering about suggesting something like EXPLAIN all But the problem with that is there's so many pieces of advice out there in the wild about when you run EXPLAIN, ANALYZE, be careful because your query will be executed. If your query's data modifying, it will modify the data. If your query's long, it will take that amount of time to run. And all of that advice would become not obsolete, but if we change the name, all of that advice becomes difficult to like, you have to go back and change all of the advice, or you have to add, if you want to EXPLAIN, ANALYZE, or EXPLAIN all.
Nikolay: For 5 years, the old word could be supported, but it's so confusing to explain people that ANALYZE is actually executing the query and it's not the same ANALYZE as ANALYZE table name, which also affects probably plan, but you need to understand this. If you run ANALYZE table name, probably after that you will see different plan in EXPLAIN and EXPLAIN ANALYZE, but it's not because these 2 words are the same words. They are very different words. Remember we discussed Postgres 17, it was confusion resolution. I wish this confusion 1 day would be resolved as well.
Michael: I agree in principle, I just think in practice it's gonna be painful.
Nikolay: Why painful? The word execute is not used yet. First we introduced synonym and then in 5 years we ditched the old…
Michael: It's used in prepared statements, right? Like prepare, execute.
Nikolay: Yeah, but well, execute means execute, and analyze and explain also means execute. Okay, by the way, Let me confess about something related to prepared statements. A few weeks ago, we had an episode about planning time, which also related to today's topic because planning time we check using explain mostly. Of course we can check it in pg_stat_statements but again not everyone enabled track planning in pg_stat_statements so usually we just check in auto_explain or regular manually in ad hoc way we check using explain. Not auto_explain, sadly. It cannot show planning time? Wow. Okay. Good to know.
Michael: But in pg_stat_statements, it's if track planning, yeah.
Nikolay: Yeah, if track planning. So If we, for example, deal with partitioning, with high number of partitions, planning time increases as we discussed. But I just blog posted about it and right after that we had a discussion on Twitter and it turned out that my experiment was wrong and my ideas were not fully wrong, but not purely accurate, because planning time is affected only in the very first time when queries is executed in the session. If you execute it once again, we already have relation metadata cache, rel cache, and overhead becomes almost 0. At least for simple queries.
Michael: Yes, simple queries that can prune down to a single partition or like a low number of partitions. And it was David Rowley, who
Nikolay: pointed out… Yes, of course, If there's no pruning, then it's a different story. Of course, with the number of partitions growing, more work needs to be done at planning time. But yeah, I'm talking about partition pruning happening at planning time. The idea is only the very first execution suffers.
Michael: It's so, I mean I'm really impressed David noticed that so quickly. Yeah. I mean he knows his stuff around this topic, I'm pretty sure he was involved in the fixes, I think it was in Postgres 12 to improve that exact metric. So yeah, kudos to him for pointing that out so politely as well. I think he said it was misleading, not wrong. And also a really good reminder, do you remember when we had Melanie on to talk about benchmarking, how difficult benchmarking was to make sure you're measuring the thing you think you're measuring. It's just a good reminder that these things are so difficult. But by publishing them, by publishing your findings, and by the Postgres community being so open to correcting us when we're wrong, we've all learned something. I think
Nikolay: that's good. Exactly. It was very good. And I cannot agree it's wrong because there was no mistake there. There was a problem that the experiment didn't do next step, which of course I should do. Actually misleading is a good term here. I extended blog post right away. It turned out if you use just EXPLAIN, no execution, no ANALYZE work. If you just use EXPLAIN, you see you add partitions. We checked from 0, 100, 200, and up to 1,000. You see we're using EXPLAIN, SELECT, primary key lookup, and partition key basically lookup. You see first of all, you see index scan, only 1 partition. Partition pruning is working at planning time. But planning time grows linearly with number of partitions and number of planning buffers also grows linearly for this kind of query and it was range partitioning. We didn't check others. But once you run EXPLAIN once again in the same session, only 3 buffer hits always, regardless of number of partitions. It's also good relief, right? So you think, oh, it's great. I'm going just to relax and I can have 10,000 partitions for simple queries like this. Of course, complex queries will be different, I'm quite sure. But if partition pruning works at planning time, I'm happy, right? It just tells me I need to take care of proper connection poolers. I need to have them always. The problem with our discussion and my ideas a few weeks ago when I said, oh, if you have high overhead of planning time, which obviously it's only for first execution planning. In this case, just use prepared statements. But this is definitely maybe not only misleading, but also wrong, because as I actually learned in detail, if you use prepare statements, you see that partition pruning shifts to execution. So the plan, a generic plan, includes all partitions, right? Because we cannot cache the plan, which is dealing only with single partition in this case, but what if we need to execute the prepared statements with different parameter? We need different partition probably. The cached plan includes all partitions and you run explain for prepared statements for a specific parameter and you see that execution time, you see subplans removed. This is interesting. Which means that overhead shifted to execution. It's not good, right? But again, overhead, which overhead? If we have real cache here, all good. So it means that for high number of partitions, not prepared statements matter. They can help, but they don't help fully because of this shift of partition pruning. But what actually helps a lot is poolers. We have poolers in all heavily loaded projects. And if you are preparing to have huge tables, like we always say, if you exceed 100 gigabytes, you need partitioning. But it also means you do need proper connection pooling and avoid the initial overhead of planning basically. With high number of partitions, planning will be not good. So back to explain.
Michael: Yeah, question back to explain, kind of linking them. When you did the second explain, extracting the buffers and things, did you use format JSON for that and parse the output? Or what did you do?
Nikolay: It was text regular.
Michael: We've just parsed it.
Nikolay: Settings, yeah. And it was done by our AI, so it doesn't use JSON at this point. Just we don't want very bloated format. And yeah, and actually, yeah, we needed to fix how it works because right now it works through psycopg, so Python. If you run a couple of explains in one shot, it received only one result. We fixed that, so now it sees both results. The second result is always, in our case, three buffer hits. Planning time remains way below one millisecond, I think maybe 10 microseconds or so, super tiny, almost zero. Bottom line here is that usually we say, if you run EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS), of course. We had a couple of episodes about it. If you run it, always run it a couple of times, maybe a few times because of caches. If you want to check timing, if you're too obsessed by timing, not my case. I'm obsessed by buffers, not timing. You need to run it multiple times to check the second execution because first time probably everything is not cached, data is not in the buffer pool, and not in page cache, so run it twice. That's a good piece of advice, right? But what we just discussed means also that even for planning, run it twice in the same session, right? Because maybe you observe a lot of work, if partitioning is involved, especially if a lot of work related to lack of real cache.
Michael: I've seen this. The other weird thing I've seen, I don't know if you know the answer to, is you can do a simple ID lookup, like primary key lookup and you will get planning time, but no planning buffers reported, even if you include the buffers thing. What's that? How's that? It's a bug I think. Yeah.
Nikolay: Inside my team, like last week, since we worked on this post, a couple of other… Many people actually were involved, but this particular problem was very annoying. Very annoying. So, like, why buffers are not reported in planning? Okay, now they are reported. And we cannot understand what it depends on. So, Once we understand, probably it will be a bug report already, right? Because it's something wrong is there, because we requested.
Michael: It's weird, but I mean the text format is hurting you there because by default in the text format, if things are 0, they don't get reported, it's like roughly a general rule.
Nikolay: You think so?
Michael: Whereas in JSON format, you'd still get buffers reported, but they would have zeros. It's not much better.
Nikolay: In our case, it should be reported because it always was something like some number of hits. But yeah.
Michael: So that's a different bug, right? Like all I meant is if planning buffers
Nikolay: are 0,
Michael: I don't understand how planning buffers can be 0 if it's like it was actually doing work, if it's actually, you know, picking which index to scan. So I found that…
Nikolay: – In the case of prepared, cached plan, if plan is cached, there is still some planning time, but I suspect this planning time occurs during execution because of these subplans removed and partition pruning happening. I'm not sure, by the way. This is some nuance.
Michael: I think maybe like parsing might count as planning or like I think there's other steps.
Nikolay: Well, I'm looking at it right now. I'm looking at the plan which checks execution of the forced generic plan. Plan cache mode set to forced generic plan and we check execution for prepared statement. It's cached. The plan cached. We see no planning-related buffers reported at all. It's missing. But planning time is like 38 microseconds. And partition pruning happened at execution time. So I wonder what are those 38 microseconds. If plan is cached, maybe just additional checks, I don't know. It's interesting, right?
Michael: You know there's multiple stages, like, you know, I can't remember all of them, but 1 of them, for example, is parsing. 1 of them is like rewriting, so like you might rewrite the query. I think some of those get bucketed at the moment as planned. So
Nikolay: probably you're right, there are no buffer hits involved at all and that's why it's not reported at all.
Michael: But I've seen this, I've seen 0 reported when it's like not a plan cache, like if it's a primary lookup that you've run.
Nikolay: So where there is some work for sure, right?
Michael: Yeah, or like in my head it would make sense that there's work. Anyway, it's an interesting quirk.
Nikolay: And even if it's not a bug, the fact that you raise this topic and we discuss this topic inside my team, it's already something, right, which is not clear. And yeah, If someone who watches us who is more experienced than us, please tell us. This is super interesting piece of information. So what I wanted to say, You need to check the execution of explain for planning for the second time inside the same session just to exclude the fact that you observed overhead from lack of real cache. This is lesson I learned last week. This is correction to ideas I expressed a few weeks ago in the planning time episode.
Michael: And there's some good practices that help mitigate this kind of issue anyway. Normally people when they're benchmarking or testing things will run something 5 times and maybe take the best of the 5 or you know running things multiple times I don't know if you've ever seen some sports do like diving for example they give people scores out of 10 and then they cross out the top scoring judge and the bottom scoring judge. And yeah, actually,
Nikolay: we did that. We did it, but we like, due to some reasons, it was not like We plan to improve this and this kind of analysis should be done exactly that way. You run multiple times, you check which data points are way off and exclude them and then you take average. That makes sense totally. But in this case, just how we did it, It was a single session experiment and we ran all EXPLAINs. So bottom point, if you run EXPLAIN 5 times and every time it's a new connection, the problem persists. You need to run it multiple times inside the same connection. And then I would not agree with excluding the first 1 due to lack of real cache, because it's also an interesting fact that With growing number of PARTITIONs, the very first execution, it can reach dozens of milliseconds and even hundreds of milliseconds. It's a lot. It means connection poolers are needed and they need to be configured properly if you have thousands of PARTITIONs. Otherwise, it will be very often new connection established, could execute the first time, huge number of PARTITIONs, and you have penalty of dozens of milliseconds for heavily loaded projects. It's a lot, maybe 100 milliseconds. It's like huge overhead. This fact also interesting, right? We learned 2 facts. Overhead is huge, linearly growing for this particular simple, very trivial case. There is basically no overhead for subsequent queries. Wow. This is like a sequence of surprises for me in this work. I like it actually. Let's maybe switch to another topic. Maybe you have some ideas what to discuss next?
Michael: Yeah, well when I think of advanced EXPLAIN, I'm thinking more like advanced query optimisation. Maybe you're familiar and got good at reading EXPLAIN plans when it's a relatively simple query, maybe some normal scan types, some normal JOIN algorithms. You're somewhat familiar with it, you can work your way around that. But I've spent several years looking at this and I still from time to time see operation types that I've never seen before. And things get complex like in just in terms of how many operations there are or things that complicate things like CTEs and in it plans and kind of things happening, which order things happen in, things happening at the same time. I think we had Haki Benita on relatively recently talking about how if you have multiple CTEs, those happen at the same time and independently of each other. So like, that's confusing. And like, how those appear and explain is interesting. But because it's shown as a tree and they have to kind of work out different display mechanisms for how, you know, for showing that that's not necessarily misleading because it's hard to say how you should visualize that. But that's what I'm thinking in terms of like advanced topics around explain. How do you interpret those? And also, what can you ignore? If you want to do this, normally your aim is, can I speed this up? And as things get complex, you often want to simplify. Like, what can I do to discard a bunch of this information? Like, which bits of this are already fast that I can ignore? How do I, maybe I can run a simpler query that's only the part of the plan that's problematic. That's what I'm thinking in terms of more complex topics.
Nikolay: Right, I agree. Reading complex plans. This is it. Yeah, I agree. Here actually what helps? Experience helps definitely. I usually like buffers for me as a must. Buffers is a must. First, I start reading execution time, planning time, but I read quickly scan buffers and they are like cumulative, like they are accumulated to the root. Root includes everything. So you can see and go from root to leaves basically. It's like upside down tree, right? So we top down analysis again. Okay, we understand the number of buffers, understand how many megabytes or even gigabytes sometimes it is if you multiply by the block size, which is in most cases 8 kibibytes. Then we go down and see where exactly this huge volume came from. This is my default type of work with plans, including execution, of course. Because if you don't have execution, you only have cost, and buffers are reported only for planning, as we just discussed. In this case, usually it helps. In most cases it helps. And I wish I also was able to see lock-related information, right? Mixed plane, plane.
Michael: T. Yeah. Like weights. Yeah. It's difficult to see how they would do that, but...
Nikolay: Not necessarily weights.
Michael: What do you mean by locks?
Nikolay: If we... Yeah, yeah, actually maybe you're right. Yeah, what's happening under the hood slightly, but it's already super complicated output, right? So...
Michael: Yeah, and there's macro versus micro issues here. If you're on a test environment where you're the only person there, it's much less likely that you're going to be incorrect.
Nikolay: When I said locks, I was meaning heavy locks. So at planning time, all indexes are locked, And all tables and all relations are locked. And that's a lot of overhead. I wish I saw it. It's interesting information. Accessory lock for all of them. So, and if it's update, okay, what kind of lock I have here?
Michael: Oh, interesting. Yeah, that's not what I was thinking at all.
Nikolay: Yeah, you thought about lightweight logs.
Michael: Well, no, I was... Oh, even a different... Or weight events. No, I was thinking, like, if you... Easiest experiment to show this is start 1 transaction and maybe do some DDL or like yeah drop a column or something yeah anything that's doing well add a huge like a really heavy lock on that table, then open a second transaction, just do a simple SELECT query on that table, go back to the first transaction and commit, go back to the second 1 and see that your query was just waiting that entire time. If you run that query with EXPLAIN in that
Nikolay: second session... If you commit it, it's not waiting
Michael: anymore. But the execution time of that EXPLAIN will be huge.
Nikolay: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right. And this execution time can be explained if we saw basically a pie chart or something, or a distribution of wait
Michael: elements. There will be no node, there'll be no operation in that EXPLAIN plan that shows that it was waiting on an exclusive lot. It will just show that 1 of the operations was extremely slow.
Nikolay: Simple wait event analysis for this particular session would help.
Michael: Yes, but it doesn't come up that often to me. Maybe it's 1 of the blind spots because I don't see those, but I don't see plans that have these really unexpected bottlenecks.
Nikolay: I would like to be able to, not by default, but I would like to be able to see these wait event analysis and heavy locks as well because I want to understand this query, which locks it's going to acquire when I go production. When execution finished, what locks were acquired? I think interesting extensions, but it's already so huge.
Michael: And as I mentioned, we're getting more and more, I think this is part of the reason people are adding more parameters to explain, so write-ahead logging information.
Nikolay: It should not be by default, it's too much.
Michael: Well, I actually have a proposal here. I haven't suggested it on any of the mailing lists yet, but I would like your opinion. I thought about adding them by default when you include the parameter verbose. So if you do explain, analyze verbose, give me everything.
Nikolay: You just don't want to update your website
Michael: snippet. Yes, yeah, I don't want to update that snippet for sure, but also I want people to only have to remember to do that and they'll get whatever Postgres can give them. Verbose means really long. It means everything. It kind of means like, I'm okay with loads of information, give me it all. So it's already kind of in the meaning. Anyway, I haven't proposed it yet, but that would also come with buffers, so I thought you might be happy.
Nikolay: Okay. And also, if you talk about what's missing and what you cannot get from EXPLAIN, I also like at some point, maybe some extension of this could be, imagine if we see operations at disk level as well. And we understand not only hits and reads for the buffer pool but also hits and reads for page cache for example and maybe CPU analysis as well for this particular execution if it is explained and analyzed.
Michael: Right? That's a good point. It's not exactly what you're talking about but loads of people don't realize because it's not an EXPLAIN parameter that you can, with track_io_timing on, you can start to get some insights into the disk level performance and that's improving in each, Like there's recent, even in 17 we got some improvements there. Like buffers are split into shared, local and temp. IOTiming wasn't initially and is now split into all 3.
Nikolay: Yeah, that's great. But I'm talking about like basically pg_stat_kcache, but for EXPLAIN.
Michael: I understand, but the timings are a good start, right?
Nikolay: I agree. Yeah. And actually, I think it's possible to have all of this right now already, but you need to create, like, connect many pieces. And for example, it could be a tool which runs EXPLAIN, but also looks at wait event analysis for this pid in pg_stat_activity and locks as well. And what else? It collects everything and big report for a particular query. And also physical. Physical, we can, if it's, we have physical access, we can do it from proc. Knowing PID, this I think we had prototype for our old bot. So it's like you just, counters, counters from proc.
Michael: You can get, because if you're the query identifier, which is the normalized 1 that you can match to like pg_stat_statements, I'm imagining. This also, yeah. Yeah, you could start to like tie these things, all of these things together.
Nikolay: Yeah, a lot of stuff is possible. Who's doing this, by the way? Maybe someone is doing this.
Michael: I don't know the monitoring tools well enough to know who's doing some of this micro level, but if they are, let us know. Like if you're using 1 or you if you're building 1 that does that would be cool to hear. To be honest though, it goes back to some of the conversations we've had about they're like macro to micro zoom, like once you've done your macro analysis and you've identified a few problematic query, like the main consumer, if you've got a few bottlenecks, EXPLAIN is a really good tool for doing that micro, like once you've got some sensible set of parameters that you know will be slow, it's not that hard to reproduce normally. The difficult thing is then going through a 200 line explain plan. You asked what can help. I think we've put a lot of effort into helping with that stage and a lot of the other tool providers have as well. 1 thing we do that I think is really helpful is if a sub plan is fast like as a proportion of your query, we collapse it by default. We hide like we don't hide it. We just say there's like there's 20 nodes here. Probably you don't want to look here, which means that like a 300 line plan can go down to like 20.
Nikolay: That's cool.
Michael: But that like those kinds of things I think can really help initially. Like not it's not good for a hacker. It's not good for a Postgres hacker. It's like trying to work out the cost model for a new feature. But for somebody just trying to speed up a single query, you don't need to look at the 200 partitions that all took 0, or that were never executed, or that took 0 milliseconds.
Nikolay: Yeah. And you mentioned query ID and for example, like I think it was last week we were working with 1 of the customers, we saw that auto_explain was used and it's great. And There was a task to analyze a lot, and we still plan it. I'm very thankful to you that we have integration in our AI right now, and your system helps our system. I plan to perform some massive analysis at larger scale to be able to do it. But the interesting thing is that if you want to analyze a lot of queries from auto_explain, you do need some... You basically need to compute... It's called compute_query_id parameter, right? You need to turn it on because by default it's auto and for auto_explain it will not work.
Michael: It does if you have the boson.
Nikolay: Okay, in auto_explain. Okay, in our case we didn't have the boson, I think.
Michael: But only as of 16, I think.
Nikolay: It's better to turn it on, actually.
Michael: Maybe, yeah.
Nikolay: The question of overhead, and let's, by the way, talk about overhead in a second. But Imagine you have a lot of query cases, various queries from the log. Presence of query ID first gives you understanding how many different normalized or aggregated queries you are dealing with. Second, you can then join this information with pg_stat_statements and go to macro level back and understand, okay, this query is not very influential because it's a tiny part of or maybe vice versa, it's influential although we see only a few occurrences in our slow log because we have threshold by time. auto_explain mean duration, query mean duration. We usually set it to 1 second, for example. If we have only a few cases, but we see in the workload, oh, this is actually 50% of all total exact time, oh, we do need to think about it properly, and influence of this optimization will be high. Let's do it. This helps understand when you have a lot of queries to deal with, where to start. You want to start with most influential steps. So query ID is a good thing. I'm glad we have it everywhere in EXPLAIN, in the logs, in pg_stat_statements, you can connect all the dots. And pg_stat_activity as well, right? So wait event analysis is possible just joining by query ID as well, if you run many, many times, right? So, yeah, great. What about overhead? I think it's also an advanced topic. I know you blog posted about it and OnGres did. You talked about auto_explain, right? But Explain itself also has overhead.
Michael: Well, Explain can have both, can under-report and can over-report the timing.
Nikolay: Django, I'm not a fan of Django.
Michael: Well, but bear with me. I think people focus a lot... There's different things. The OnGres thing was about the queries being slower, like you actually cause some overhead by observing and that's true when you're running EXPLAIN ANALYZE with time because timing is on with Analyze by default But it's also true if you're running auto_explain, like there's also some overhead to measuring and to logging, like if you log a lot of plans that's some overhead as well. So there's those overheads but there's also the possibility that it under reports which I
Nikolay: think
Michael: throws some. So this is 1 of the reasons they added the parameter serialize. If you are doing a lot of work after the query is executed but in order to send the data to the client. Nobody really cares about the server-side time. The server-side time is important, that's what we get from EXPLAIN ANALYZE, but what they normally care about is the user experience, like the full client to server to client time.
Nikolay: And- I cannot agree here, but okay, go on.
Michael: Okay, well, what I mean is, If you're getting a report for my dashboard is slow, there's no point only speeding up the server side time. If you're sending huge amounts of data, and part of that work is, so serialize is part of it, It's getting the data ready to transmit. And then there's the network overhead as well, like of actually sending all that data. So, yeah, I guess you're right.
Nikolay: It's not network cost. It's not like transmission cost. It's a cost of, not cost, cost may be not a good word, it's overloaded here, right? It's time, right? Or cost, or it's cost, it's cost
Michael: actually, right? Serialized is reported as time and amount of data.
Nikolay: What about cost? Okay.
Michael: I actually don't think it has cost to relate. I think it's 1 of those things that gets reported in the summary section. So, just-in-time compilation and planning.
Nikolay: It's about civilization, not transmitting.
Michael: Yes, It's a step before getting the data ready to transmit.
Nikolay: It's still everything on the server.
Michael: For example, uncompressing or decompressing TOASTed data.
Nikolay: And it's Postgres 17 feature, right? So it just goes deeper to understand what's happening on server side, like execution and what part of it is associated with civilization, attributed to civilization, right?
Michael: Well, and not just that. Before, if you ran EXPLAIN ANALYZE, SELECT some data that had been TOASTed from this table, you would get a really fast execution plan because it wouldn't do the serialization. It would say this executes really quickly. So it wasn't just that you couldn't see the time, it was like a query that might take 100 milliseconds when you run it from psql, if you put EXPLAIN ANALYZE in front of it, it could run in 1 millisecond or 10 milliseconds much much much faster. So because it didn't have to do that expensive step. So this is 1 of those cases that used to be and not just used to be like by default this will still be, this is still the behavior in version 17. If you want to explain, analyze some basics.
Nikolay: SELECT star from blah blah blah and before 17 we didn't see this part at all.
Michael: Even in 17 you don't see it unless you also explicitly ask EXPLAIN ANALYZE serial. That's what I've been saying.
Nikolay: And what about verbose? Verbose includes it, right?
Michael: No it doesn't. But this is my proposal that verbose should include all of these additional parameters.
Nikolay: It should, of course, I agree. Well, okay. It is as it is right now.
Michael: And I have to actually say, EXPLAIN is awesome. EXPLAIN in Postgres in particular is the best I've seen of any Database that I've worked with. Other data, like MySQL for example, is catching up. They got EXPLAIN ANALYZE in version 8, but the amount of detail we can already get is way, like, it's beyond the other open source Databases I've seen. So it is good, it's just always can be better, right?
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah, yeah. If somebody is watching us thinking, oh, a couple of haters, right? Haters of EXPLAIN. It's just a lot of stuff, yeah, yeah. But a lot of stuff is helping all the time, it's true. Do you want to discuss overhead from buffers option?
Michael: I couldn't. When I did some really basic, really basic experiment where I tried to, where I did very, very small queries, but I couldn't get any additional overhead. I couldn't, there wasn't like a measurable extra overhead of requesting buffers. I think you said you did an experiment once that did show it, but I don't remember.
Nikolay: Yeah. On timing. It cannot, like buffers are like, they are basically invariant. Of course, there can be hits or reads or they're like moving back and forth. But if everything is cached, it's very stable. Like you're reading the same data, like same query, just SELECT multiple times, you will see the same number of buffers all the time. That's one of the reasons I like them. But if you include buffers, I did see in the past, it was some time ago, that timing is increasing. Because a lot of buffers need to be reported and counters inside need to be presented. If it's a complex query, in many places this overhead adds up and the timing without buffers option is very different compared to with buffers.
Michael: I've seen single queries where that's true and I've seen I think Lukas Fittl from pganalyze has done some examples of this. I think I've only seen it in queries that have nested loops with lots of loops. That's the example everybody turns to. For example,
Nikolay: join with nested loop.
Michael: But the reason I think it's slightly overhyped is when you're optimising, you don't always care. If the EXPLAIN analyzes 4 seconds, or maybe let's pick 400 milliseconds, and your real execution time is 300 milliseconds, if you can speed the 400 milliseconds up to 50 milliseconds, the 300 might go down to 40, and directionally you're still looking for the same things. And by asking for buffers information, you're getting more information, you're more likely to be able to optimize your query. So I don't care as much as most that it's slightly different.
Nikolay: Maybe I only care that including buffers don't change buffers. That's it. So For me, when I start working with buffers, I'm less concerned about timing. Focus on buffers, optimize, optimize, optimize, and then go back to result and see, oh, timing has improved drastically because we reduced number of buffer hits and reads. That's it. This is a very, very common path for me. Just reduce because you like sequential scan, lots of buffer hits and reads. We are at an index, okay,
Michael: couple of, 3, 4, 5 buffer hits, that's it. Time to look at timing. Oh, of course, expect it a thousand times faster, right? I like, I like, you know, I like buffers a lot, but for me they'll always be secondary because just Because if you look at timings first and last, that's the main aim. The main aim is to get things faster. And yes, in maybe 99% of cases, it's going to be I/O. That's the limiting factor. But in some queries, there'll be a sort in memory. There'll be something that doesn't report extra buffers in EXPLAIN. There'll be just-in-time compilation, or there'll be some limit, like maybe trigger timing.
Nikolay: Just-in-time compilation is off.
Michael: But all I'm saying or planning time, like actually planning time, you now do get buffers, but trigger times, just in time compilation, there's like a few other examples, sorts in memory, hashes in memory, like if some of these other bottlenecks don't report buffers, I would just, why not look at timings and then buffers? Also, I almost always see query plans with both these days. So it's kind of a
Nikolay: care. That's great that buffers are present. At some point I started saying if there are no buffers I'm not dealing with this query. This is what I say to customers, go and give me with buffers because we are missing super important. Okay, if you put it in second place, this place should be always present. Yeah. I'm sure
Michael: that's what it's like before. I think that's probably enough. I've got a talk that I gave a few years ago called explain beyond the basics which I would have thought we had covered some of the bits of but actually I took a completely different path that I went down some of the less common types of issue that you can spot with explain which we haven't really talked about so I can include that as like a if anybody wants to know a bit more of the specifics, it's a bit nicer, like that format is good because you can actually see examples of EXPLAIN plans, so it's probably a bit better video wise. And yet the reason I see buffers more often now is everybody suggests adding it, You, but also some of the other tools as well, like depesz added it to the default thing that he suggests people get. So there's loads of people.
Nikolay: That's news to me. I remember it was missing and it was a big disadvantage.
Michael: He added it. It's great.
Nikolay: That's good. Yeah.
Michael: Anything else you wanted to add?
Nikolay: I think it's enough.
Michael: Me too.
Nikolay: Thank you. See you later. Bye.