The GM (Dave): I'm not here to kill Indians. I'm here to rescue the children.
Jimmy: Yeah. Just gotta hope we get a better deal in for free for
The GM (Dave): the rest
Jimmy: of it.
Hoarcock: Well, how do we find the kiddies then?
Jimmy: Yeah. Can we say any detail of who they might be?
The GM (Dave): They are Apache? He says something in Apache and all of it all of them are. The ones with the rifles are really the ones with the bow are knocking an arrow. He's he charges you and his horse pulling his tomahawk. He's hit you with three successes.
Marion Freeman: Oh. Shit.
Hoarcock: We're gonna get scalped.
Marion Freeman: Come with us. You've heard my argument. Speak in your tongue to your people and tell them what I'm trying to say.
The GM (Dave): I think for that speech, I think I'm gonna give you a point of faith.
Jimmy: Plus, if they decide they're gonna kill us, then they'll only kill you and we can get away.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. And that and I'm willing to take that risk.
Jimmy: Yes. So that's definitely a risk I am willing to take as well.
Hoarcock: I said no. You can't play on Ninja. This is an old West game, and they didn't have Ninja.
The GM (Dave): But the year is 1869. And there are historical records indicating there were ninjas. We're in fucking Japan, I'm Dave. I'm the Game Master.
Jimmy: I'm Tony. My character is Jimmy Halston, young lad trying to make his way in the world, keep his ranch running successfully, trying to live up to the legacy of his elder brother who was unfortunately shot in the head trying to do the right thing.
Hoarcock: So I'm Andrew. I'm the older character group, and I'm Nathaniel Hawcock, and I'm the sheriff.
Marion Freeman: But you're also my business partner as are you, Jimmy. And I'm Matthew, and I'm playing Marion Freeman, who is in fact the largest shareholder in the Freeman Halston Ranch.
The GM (Dave): And they are with a group of other children and a couple of women. Involved in some activities, can't really tell from where you are.
Marion Freeman: The brave who we brought back was Kirk.
The GM (Dave): Kirk. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Kirk. So I'm gonna ride in. I'm obviously I would put my hand up,
The GM (Dave): but Might be a bit difficult. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: So I think
Jimmy: yeah.
The GM (Dave): If only you'd put his hand up to say hello. We wouldn't have murdered him
Marion Freeman: and stuff. There and then. I'm gonna ride in
The GM (Dave): Diggy ducks.
Marion Freeman: Slowly but but nonchalantly as it were, not not not timidly.
The GM (Dave): Yeah.
Marion Freeman: And I'm gonna say as soon as anybody looks in my direction, I'm gonna say, I see Kirk.
The GM (Dave): You obviously caused a stir. I think you've already got to the top of the thing, can see what's going on beneath Andy's trying to hide in a bush but failing. Stiggy, you wait there now, you're there, stay there.
Hoarcock: Well, so I'm giving him lots of following on himself.
The GM (Dave): There there's there's it's not panic, but it's, I don't distressed. It's quite a lot of shouting and a couple of elderly men come from a a wigwam holding tomahawks and bows. Some of the women you see are drawing knives and pulling out tomahawks.
Marion Freeman: Well, you'll be cast Okay. I'm gonna raise my hand as much as I can with my broken collarbone
The GM (Dave): Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Show it empty and say, I see Kuruk. Kuruk.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Make a performing role. Or presents. Up to you with depending on which way you wish to try and handle it.
Marion Freeman: Presents is a bit better.
Jimmy: I'm trying to be
Marion Freeman: brave. Not intimidate them, but just not look timid. Be confident.
Hoarcock: That's what you're
The GM (Dave): trying say.
Marion Freeman: Confident. Yeah. Quiet confidence. Grit.
Hoarcock: Yeah. True grit.
Marion Freeman: True grit. True
The GM (Dave): American grit. Just what the Apache would appreciate.
Marion Freeman: One success.
The GM (Dave): Okay. They don't immediately attack you.
Hoarcock: Castrated. Scab you. Whatever.
Marion Freeman: I look to the older men that are there and I say, I bring your fallen brother so that the crows and wolves and coyotes do not have him.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. So as you're going in, kind of the people Yeah. They're not surrounding you, but you are now in the camp. Yeah. Can see this. Andy, you're still a little bit further behind tone.
Hoarcock: Can't do it. Yeah.
The GM (Dave): Make another Hawkeye roll.
Hoarcock: Oh, one success. That won't be good enough with it.
The GM (Dave): One success. Yeah. It is actually on this occasion. You see a couple of white men dressed in furs and leather and black frontiersmen
Marion Freeman: Yeah.
The GM (Dave): Of a look. And they are sort of sneaking up Right. Up the side of the hill. Have they seen you? I suspect they have because they've been following you. So, yeah, I think they know you're there. Yeah. Oh, yeah. They're carrying rifles. Yeah. Like long Long Like hunters rifles.
Hoarcock: Right. Okay.
The GM (Dave): So that's me anyway. Yeah. But they, yeah.
Hoarcock: And I put like, okay, I'll ignore this. Okay, and I shall stay where I am.
The GM (Dave): They come up to you. Okay, cutting back into the thing. So, you can see what's going on. A number of people have now stood in front of Matthew. A couple of people are checking the body of the brave on the stretcher. Obviously, he's been shot through the throat. There's a lot of anguish, a lot of
Marion Freeman: Wailing, lamentation of women.
The GM (Dave): Lamentation in in Apache. You don't understand. And yeah. So there there ends up being a group of couple of elderly men, elderly woman, and a younger woman sitting in front of you. They are all armed in one way or another. Yeah. And one of them says, what business do you have coming here?
Marion Freeman: Your brother Kuruk did not come in advance and tell you our business?
The GM (Dave): Kuruk is being tended to for the wounds he received at the hand of the white man.
Marion Freeman: We came to tell you and your tribe of not one, but two parties of Yankee troopers out hunting you. And we came to offer a solution that would keep them away from here. Kirk was part of a war party who did not trust us. We had a disagreement with. The others have come back already. Those who ran away.
The GM (Dave): They give no response to that being very inscrutable.
Marion Freeman: Kirk. Kirk was injured. I tended him. I'm no doctor. I tended him as best I could, and he agreed that we should come back here and bring back the body of your fallen brother. And I might talk to your headman.
The GM (Dave): I am the headman, says one of the two, at least in the absence of our our band chief.
Marion Freeman: Your band your bad I'm sorry. Your band chief is out now.
The GM (Dave): He is out protecting us.
Marion Freeman: Riding against the troop of yankees?
The GM (Dave): Yes.
Marion Freeman: The ones that follow you from the North, and I point in the North not knowing.
The GM (Dave): Yep. Yes.
Marion Freeman: Does he know about that band that follow us from the South? I can see in your eyes he does not.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Cutting back. Tony, is there anything you wish to do? I guess you could probably just hear this.
Jimmy: Yeah. For the moment.
The GM (Dave): It's a distance away.
Jimmy: I'm just trying to stay lying and watching.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Make a make another move roll. Can make move rolls.
Hoarcock: No play. Two
Jimmy: sixty seven.
Hoarcock: Oh, you can.
The GM (Dave): You Okay. You don't think you've been spotted Okay. At the moment where you are. Yeah. Andy, the Mhmm. The guys who come up to you
Hoarcock: Yeah.
The GM (Dave): One of them says, oh, work tracking them down, mate. Good work. We've sent Johnny back to get the boys. They'll be here they'll be here soon. We'll we'll soon have these Indian bastards under the heel.
Hoarcock: Yeah. Well, I'd prefer you'd actually won't because I've got my I've got two of my friends down there negotiating to get the children out.
The GM (Dave): None do me. I'm just a tracker.
Hoarcock: Yeah. Well, it's well, I'd rather they just waited, you know, until it's but how far away
The GM (Dave): are they? Well, you'll have the chance to talk to
Hoarcock: them, and they'll be
The GM (Dave): here in half an hour. Suck. Quicker if they get a move on.
Hoarcock: What is the whole captain? I mentioned it's the cat is it the union captain of the
Marion Freeman: What's his name? Union captain?
The GM (Dave): Bristow. Is
Hoarcock: it Bristow? Bristow, I say.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Bristow. Yeah. Bristow and his troop more than enough to take out the Apache. Guess, you know, you can see the smoke there. Camp must be just up ahead. Good work. Well done. He gives you a, like, friendly pat on the shoulder.
Hoarcock: Alright. This is not Han. I think I'm gonna go I'm just they're trying to think how far away he is. This one's trying to how far away is he? Who? Bristol.
The GM (Dave): Well, he said we'd be here within half an hour, a couple of miles at most probably. Okay.
Hoarcock: Long how how far is the
The GM (Dave): Get to bed.
Hoarcock: How far is Tony away from me?
Marion Freeman: Jimmy, you mean?
Hoarcock: Jimmy, sorry. How far is Jimmy away from you?
The GM (Dave): Probably a hundred feet ahead maybe. Not very Okay.
Hoarcock: Okay. Well, I'm gonna can I a can I make a presence rather, because I'm trying to be nice to these two?
Marion Freeman: Better authoritative.
Hoarcock: Better authoritative. Let's say, just wait. I just wanna talk to my my companion.
The GM (Dave): Okay, you're basically trying to take command?
Hoarcock: Yeah, yeah. Okay. Yeah.
The GM (Dave): Yep, that's a presence role. And obviously your authority applies?
Hoarcock: Yeah, that's six. All these I've actually got for This one's got three every
Marion Freeman: chance you're gonna succeed.
The GM (Dave): Yeah, six dice, of course you'll do it.
Marion Freeman: Did it, one success, two successes.
Hoarcock: Two successes.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. The guy's entirely compliant.
Hoarcock: No worries. Yeah. Just wait here.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Just wanna we just wanna get up onto the ridge, you know, for when the boys get there so we get some good shots.
Hoarcock: Just wait here because I want to talk to because if if everyone gets hopped up and I lose my two companions down there, I'm not gonna be very amused. Okay. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Okay. So I'm gonna go down, you know, see the I'll do the two where Tony's taken.
The GM (Dave): I think, yeah, you can fight Tony quite easily. Are you trying to do it sneakily?
Hoarcock: I can't lie. I don't have a move. I don't have a move for all the
The GM (Dave): It's just your quick then? It's just my quick. Yeah. Depends whether you wanted to avoid being spotted by any of the people in the campers. Because they're obviously a bit sensitized. Yeah. Well, maybe not very sensitized.
Hoarcock: I want to I'm a bit no. I'm just gonna do it Okay. You don't think anybody down there saw you. I'm just gonna make him jump and say, look. The cavalry again will be in about half an hour and half an hour. So I'm gonna go I'm just I'm gonna go back up and meet Bristol and try and and talk to him.
Jimmy: Okay. Well, they haven't immediately killed Marion, so I think it's going quite well. Well done
Hoarcock: and see. So I can see. So it's
The GM (Dave): It's going well so far.
Hoarcock: There are two other guys up there's two other trackers up that I turn in here. I'm gonna try and get them every just try and get try and delay them as much as I can. Okay?
Jimmy: Okay. Half an hour.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Feels
Jimmy: like this will probably be over by then one way or another.
Marion Freeman: I can't don't know what you're looking
Hoarcock: at No.
The GM (Dave): No. You've got no. I'm
Marion Freeman: telling you.
The GM (Dave): You've you've got no idea of this.
Jimmy: No. As a as
The GM (Dave): a character. No.
Hoarcock: So I'm going back up to them. Yep. And I'm gonna say, alright. I wanna go I wanna go meet Bristow because I've got this is otherwise, this is gonna be a bloody shambles.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Cool. Yeah.
Hoarcock: And I prefer I'll I'll bet you're playing, I like those two to come with me. Yeah. We all know where the camp is now. You know?
The GM (Dave): Well, well, I'll stay here. You you go back with Billy. Billy can go with you, show you where Bristow is. Are you trying to order them both to come with you? Yeah. Okay. So they'll be in a posed role.
Hoarcock: Don't know. I got one. I could push it one or two. No. Don't want to push it.
The GM (Dave): Jimmy said, no.
Jimmy: No. I'll
Hoarcock: I was told
The GM (Dave): to scare out the camp and then hold the camp. We've already we've already sent one guy back to get them. So, I mean, if you wanna go, you go with
Hoarcock: go with Get in the horse and get him to leave me.
The GM (Dave): Go with Billy. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Okay.
Hoarcock: So I'll leave you. Hopefully, you can somehow inform or marry.
The GM (Dave): K. Back to the village.
Marion Freeman: Did say did Kirk tell you my suggestion if you're a chief?
The GM (Dave): He he explained what happened. Yes.
Marion Freeman: Did he say your the two white children that you rescued that you're looking after, they've become what's the Indian term? What's your
The GM (Dave): Indae.
Marion Freeman: Indae. Yeah. Indae. Yeah. Part of your tribe now. Yes?
The GM (Dave): They are Indae.
Marion Freeman: Your tribe is in great danger. And with your permission and their willingness, we can maybe save your tribe. I told you about the other troopers. They may be very close now. I have no idea how far we're going.
The GM (Dave): Something makes me feel
Hoarcock: like they might be
The GM (Dave): half an hour away even.
Hoarcock: I'm probably doing the same stuff for my own.
Marion Freeman: They may be very close now. But if your Indi children agree for the tribe to come with us and come back to their family And if you agree to let me ask them to do that, then there is a chance we can turn those troopers away and they will not attack you. And you know though, with your warband away, your women and children here are defenseless, but that won't stop them. Kuruk told me that. Kuruk told me of the horrors of Yankee troops and women and children. I don't want that. I don't think anybody else needs to die. This man died needlessly because of the passion of the man who led him. I did not want to fight. We none of us wanted to fight. You're not there, mate.
Jimmy: He goes,
Hoarcock: I did. And
The GM (Dave): look where he got me. Make a performing role. I will give you plus three dice though, because Kuruk has explained
Hoarcock: what you said to them. Oh,
The GM (Dave): One. One success.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. And I do have a point of faith in Kurt, but it's only a point of faith. Yeah. I'm not ready to take the risk.
The GM (Dave): They they unhitch the stretcher from the back of your horse, assuming you're not stopping them. The guy you're talking to, the man, the, like, the elder says, that is agreeable. And then in Apache, he says something else to a few of them to a few of them. And a couple of the older men and a few of the women, obviously, nod to what he said and move off.
Marion Freeman: May I It's been a hurry. The children?
The GM (Dave): Right. You may.
Marion Freeman: Getting off my horse.
The GM (Dave): They are. Your point is just further down the village where you have seen them. You can see us.
Hoarcock: Oh, well
The GM (Dave): I haven't noticed you now.
Marion Freeman: Okay. I actually ride my horse, I think, gently walking down towards where they are. Their names were Hans. Hanno. Hanno and Helga. Helga. And they're 12 and 14.
The GM (Dave): Yep.
Marion Freeman: So as I get closer, I I call their names. Hanno? Helga?
The GM (Dave): Yeah. They they respond.
Marion Freeman: Your family have sent me here to look for you.
The GM (Dave): They look excited and worried all at the same time.
Marion Freeman: I get off the horse. Have you friends here in this tribe? Or are you kept here against your will?
The GM (Dave): Hanno bursts into tears and says, I'm frightened. I want to go home away.
Marion Freeman: Do you want to come home with me?
The GM (Dave): We want to go home. And Helga says, They've been good to us but don't want to live here.
Marion Freeman: Then the way that we maybe can persuade them to let you come with us is by telling them that you do them a great service. There are soldiers coming here to kill everybody in the village, even the ones who have been good to you. The only way you can stop them doing that is by coming with me. If they let us if they let me take you away, then we may save all of those in this village as well as yourselves. And your family are waiting for you.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Quick switch. So you've gone off to find Bristow, at the top of the hill. You're watching this. You've seen Marian ride further and you can see I assume you got off your horse to talk to the kids. Are you still
Marion Freeman: Oh yeah.
The GM (Dave): I think so. You can see he's now sort of knelt down by the kids and he's talking to them. From the little crowd he had been talking to, four or five people have been have suddenly been in been in action. A couple of them on foot are running in your direction. A couple of others have mounted horses and are coming in your direction, of directly towards the way that Matthew came in and kind of roughly where you are. Looking agitated and grabby you know, they've grabbed weapons and oh, yeah, dashing in your direction.
Jimmy: Okay. Before we get through it, I'm gonna step out from my heart again. Put my hands up.
The GM (Dave): Yeah, okay. There are shouts from those riding towards you. A couple of others come running up. They are armed and are kind of like holding their bows pointing, but they're not shooting. You can hear the shouts of agitation behind you.
Marion Freeman: These are my friends who are here after my safety. If your men do not shoot at them, they will not shoot back. I have no idea that you've gone.
Jimmy: No. Okay. I'm with the man who's just visited your village. I've seen that he's been talking to your head man about the children that you've been caring for. I come to warn you that the soldiers he speaks of are very close, maybe twenty minutes away. There's some urgency. If you allow us to take the children to them, then we can avoid any bloodshed. We feel we can persuade them then to turn away and not attack you.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Yeah. They a couple of them come up and sort of grab you by the shoulder and pull you down in towards into the into the village. Okay. I won't go.
Jimmy: I won't be left.
The GM (Dave): Yep. A few others have just ridden on.
Marion Freeman: Scouting.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Switch. Andy. Uh-huh. I guess you're riding quite hard.
Hoarcock: Yes.
The GM (Dave): Okay, after about fifteen minutes you can see in the distance the troop. They are coming hard. They are not galloping but they are cantering.
Hoarcock: Well, I'm heading down to yeah.
The GM (Dave): Yeah, you can see Bristow at the front of the formation.
Hoarcock: He'll caster himself. Yeah.
The GM (Dave): Big George. Yeah. And he sees you and he rides up to you. Yes. You go, oh, sheriff, great to see you.
Hoarcock: Good to see you.
The GM (Dave): Great job you've done. Yes. Hear I hear that you found their camp. Brilliant work.
Hoarcock: We have. Yes.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Brilliant work. We heard we were too far away. We heard gunshots in the far distance earlier or yesterday. Was that
Hoarcock: Yeah. Well, he sees he must be seized the hand, don't he?
The GM (Dave): Yeah. So you engaged them. Brilliant. Well
Hoarcock: done. Did you
The GM (Dave): did you kill did you kill many? How were?
Hoarcock: Just one. Anyway
The GM (Dave): How are how how are your friends? They did they
Hoarcock: They are down in the camp alone. They're negotiating the release
The GM (Dave): of They've been taken prisoner?
Hoarcock: No. No. They're in the camp negotiating the release of the children. Man, how does he take that when I say, you know, not for the There's matey boys with me, isn't he? The other scouts,
The GM (Dave): isn't he? Yeah. Yeah. Is that they're just gonna give the children back?
Hoarcock: Yes. If you the I think old Marilyn mentioned Marilyn, as he's convinced as he I was yeah. He's convinced he didn't get them to release the
Marion Freeman: Like, you don't have any faith in me. No. No. No. But I'm convinced I can do it. He's probably dead already.
Hoarcock: No. I say yes, Lay. On the case, yes. Yes. I am asking for time. Because if you just go blundering in there, all it's gonna be is just cause loads of bodies.
The GM (Dave): Make a presence roll.
Hoarcock: Yeah. Presence roll, not charming.
The GM (Dave): This isn't charming. This isn't schmoozing. This is It's command. This is Yeah.
Jimmy: Well, captain Bristow.
The GM (Dave): Alright. Let's have a one on one
Marion Freeman: time. He
The GM (Dave): it's not an opposed role because he isn't minded to disagree because what he really wants is the glory.
Marion Freeman: He did see that, didn't he? Yeah. He wanted the children back.
Hoarcock: I've got a six. I've got no one. I've got a one there.
The GM (Dave): Have you failed?
Hoarcock: Well, no. I've got a six.
The GM (Dave): Okay. How
Marion Freeman: many faith points have you got? I'm just pointing out those, like, half an hour before the event finishes.
The GM (Dave): You can You know,
Marion Freeman: I just want to spend them now. We
The GM (Dave): can go
Jimmy: over one
The GM (Dave): a little bit if we need to. It's fine.
Jimmy: Yeah. Still, it may come to fighting, won't it?
Marion Freeman: It won't come to fighting.
The GM (Dave): He says okay. Well, let's get into a position where we can act quickly if we need to to save the children. But otherwise
Hoarcock: But I know that
The GM (Dave): I'm I'm minded
Hoarcock: to I'm totally reminded to do your duty.
The GM (Dave): No. I'm minded to let your friend
Hoarcock: Yeah.
The GM (Dave): Try and negotiate their release because we are here to to to save those children. But I need to be in a position to be able to respond and rescue them if if something goes wrong. So we are gonna get closer. We will hold off for a while to see how the negotiation goes. But if it doesn't look like it's going well, I will be obliged to attack them to save the children. Yeah. So come on. Let's get there.
Hoarcock: I don't know. Well, I must probably bluster and argue with just trying, you know.
The GM (Dave): Slow him down a bit. You're not gonna slow him down for long? No. No. Yeah. Maybe a minute. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Try and keep him in column format rather than spreading along the whole ridge. Because then what? Sorry.
Hoarcock: Yeah. You're not there. I know what you're saying.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Back to you.
Marion Freeman: So I turn to the older man, and I say, with your permission, these children have agreed on behalf of everybody in this camp to come with me, save the lives of all here. Will you let us go?
The GM (Dave): What is to stop the the white man just killing us anyway? They've been chasing us for weeks.
Marion Freeman: As we all know, I think, nothing will stop them if they are in turn to do so. But I spoke with their leader in Las Cruces, and he said all he was concerned with were the lives of these two children. He did not want to kill you is what he said. Not today. You I know you don't necessarily trust his words, but I took him on that trust. And that's why I thought it was worth me coming here, putting my life at risk, as well as your poor fallen comrade to bring that message to you. I don't want to see any of these women and children slaughtered as they will be. I will ride like the wind back to that troop and show them these two grave children
Jimmy: who have often been up and down.
The GM (Dave): So Yeah.
Jimmy: Honestly, we cannot guarantee them. Only chance of them not coming and killing you all is this path, and they will be here in about fifteen minutes. You need to make a
Marion Freeman: 15? I had no idea.
Jimmy: So you do need to make a decision quickly.
The GM (Dave): Andy. He looks torn. Mean, he's and then there's a sudden shout, a noise just from up where you were before. And from the trees, a couple of braves come pulling the scout that was there and the scout is resisting and he's shouting, no they're gonna kill me. Oh leave me alone you filthy Indians get off me. And he's putting up a putting up a lot
Marion Freeman: of They are close, as you say, fifteen minutes. They're scouts taking And
The GM (Dave): he's making a lot of noise.
Marion Freeman: I can take those children back, but I must rush. Your wisdom, old one can save these tribe. Your war chief may not be happy, but you will show him through the lives of these children and women that you did the right thing. Or he will come back and find everyone dead.
The GM (Dave): He says a few words in Apache. You don't understand. There's a kind of a murmur amongst the people who are listening because just about everyone there is
Hoarcock: Mhmm.
The GM (Dave): Kind of gathers. The scout bullied Billy, Jimmy, whichever one he was. Billy, I think.
Hoarcock: Jimmy came back in Sweden. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: And Jimmy's here.
The GM (Dave): Different Jimmy. More than one person. He's making In the world. Making making a lot of noise. He's being very aggressive. The guy the the elderly chief guy looks at you and he walks over. He kind of turns doesn't turn his back to you, walks past you and he walks up to to the struggling guy, draws his blade and plunges it into his throat. He dies in a well
Marion Freeman: He is of the troop, but let us and the children live.
The GM (Dave): And he's he's not listening to
Marion Freeman: you. Okay. Putting the children on the horse.
The GM (Dave): And he takes his knife
Marion Freeman: And scalps him.
The GM (Dave): Carefully scalps him. And he comes over. He drops it at your feet. And he says, take the children.
Marion Freeman: Take this.
The GM (Dave): Take the scalp. There are two messages there. Make sure they hear. Get out. And then he start start shouting in Right. Apache, and people just start rushing, getting their horses, gathering their stuff.
Marion Freeman: I'm gonna put the children on the horse with me. I'm gonna leave you there to climb climb back up the hill. Okay? Yeah. Yeah. But I think I've got a job. Go with it. Handling? Yep.
The GM (Dave): Yep. Are you are you just galloping out of there?
Marion Freeman: Yeah. With the kids in tow. Yep. Five dice. I've got pawn in the saddle and I've got a good horse. And I get a success.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Yeah. That's enough. Yeah. Yeah. You've galloped out.
Hoarcock: Turned, I
The GM (Dave): guess you're making a run for it.
Jimmy: I'll just walk.
The GM (Dave): Okay. That's cool and calm.
Jimmy: I think it's No. Marion getting there first isn't the only thing that's gonna stop. If the Indians wanna kill me, then me running's not gonna stop that. I was more briskly, but
The GM (Dave): Briskly like running.
Marion Freeman: Briskly, carefully around. Are
The GM (Dave): you picking up the scalp?
Marion Freeman: I'm picking up the scalp as well.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Okay. Yeah. They don't moest you. So they are busy packing up as much of their stuff as they can and getting the hell deeper into the mountains. The two kids are crying. Obviously, terrified at what's going on. But, yeah, you both you can get back to your horse, and you can both get away.
Marion Freeman: Well, I'm well away. Don't give a fuck for him. I'm looking for him. Do I see him and Bistow?
The GM (Dave): About ten minutes of riding. Yep.
Marion Freeman: Oh, Bistow.
The GM (Dave): You Nice. Can't you wait all out to do that?
Jimmy: Oh, dear. Get out.
The GM (Dave): Get out.
Hoarcock: Stout with it. Okay.
The GM (Dave): I just got a wine bag. So we're in the we're in
Hoarcock: fucking thing.
The GM (Dave): The old guy says, no. I'm gonna kill you. I'm gonna scalp you all and you're the first to die. Yeah. Yeah. He's there. He's the troop pulls up. Mhmm. Sees, you know, you're not far behind. You probably actually caught up with him by then.
Marion Freeman: Captain Bristow, well done. You've rescued two children, I say, with no loss of life. Ah.
Jimmy: Oh, Paul.
The GM (Dave): Where's where's Jimmy?
Marion Freeman: One scout proved overly aggressive. I don't know whether his family want this.
The GM (Dave): Are you saying that Jimmy's dead? This is this is Billy.
Hoarcock: Don't show the scale. Just say he's dead. Don't show him the scale.
Marion Freeman: Hang on. On. You have me.
Hoarcock: It's rain around the edges
The GM (Dave): for that. I sweat blood. It's fine. It's fine.
Marion Freeman: Jimmy? I don't know if Jimmy's here.
The GM (Dave): Jimmy the scout.
Marion Freeman: I didn't see him.
The GM (Dave): And there's a guy there, Billy.
Marion Freeman: Billy's He's probably keeping himself waiting.
The GM (Dave): It's my brother, Jimmy.
Hoarcock: Yeah. Remember I told him to come back with me. So, you know, I did remember I did say you should both come back.
The GM (Dave): He's there? Yeah. But where he's still there? What why is he still there?
Marion Freeman: I don't know why
Jimmy: he moved to come to him as we were leaving the camp.
Hoarcock: Can I see that Matt's line while he
The GM (Dave): was looking looking at it? Should we make an insight roll? You're not trying
Marion Freeman: Well, am.
The GM (Dave): You You are. Yeah. So make a performing roll and make an insight roll. So defender wins.
Marion Freeman: It legit.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. People are people are believing you that, yeah, you don't know what happened to
Hoarcock: him. Okay.
Marion Freeman: I don't know. I haven't seen him after all.
Hoarcock: Yeah. From your belt, but never mind. Slurker.
The GM (Dave): What do you smell?
Hoarcock: Yeah. Slurker, well
Marion Freeman: They I brought these children back, but I said we would leave them in peace.
The GM (Dave): Was there a war band there?
Marion Freeman: Yes. A big one. Ready.
The GM (Dave): Well, we should attack
Marion Freeman: war band
Hoarcock: then. Right?
Marion Freeman: No. Yes. There is a war band. They've gone to your others. There's only women and children here. No no glory in killing these. Let them live.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. And Billy says yeah. Yeah. It's just women and children, old people.
Hoarcock: See see, captain, you've got your glory. You've got your credit.
Marion Freeman: You've done your job.
Hoarcock: And you haven't lost anybody. Lost nobody from your commands.
Marion Freeman: This will be written in the history books.
Hoarcock: Custer second.
Marion Freeman: No. No. No. Oh? Yeah. Custer Hoosey.
The GM (Dave): Make one final performing role, whichever one of you is best.
Marion Freeman: Obviously, charm him. Charm him to the ground. You've been You
The GM (Dave): can charm him for this one because you're basically giving him images of Glory. Of all the glory and credit and and approbation he's gonna get.
Hoarcock: So that is
The GM (Dave): And you can get a dice of help from both of both of your friends.
Hoarcock: So that's 10 dice. So that's let's start there.
The GM (Dave): Because he's he's quite keen on killing a lot of Indians and getting his name for himself that way. But actually, it's more important for him right now to rescue the children. But it seems like a good opportunity.
Hoarcock: You know about a jackie bastard, you've got all the glory you've got sir.
Marion Freeman: My my different words. Oh, sorry. Hey.
The GM (Dave): Don't panic.
Jimmy: Don't panic. Don't Look look it up and
Hoarcock: I'm sure there's three ones to put off.
Marion Freeman: I need to make some proper trouble dice.
The GM (Dave): Yeah.
Hoarcock: Success?
Jimmy: At least two successes.
Marion Freeman: There's two successes.
Jimmy: There is a one there. One one Can
Hoarcock: I buy that off?
Marion Freeman: No. That's not a trouble dicing. No. No. That one is
The GM (Dave): But you've got two successes. That is enough.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. You can buy that one off.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. He's he's got visions of promotions and glory and his name in the newspapers and everything.
Marion Freeman: Imagine you taking these children home.
Hoarcock: Home. Yeah.
The GM (Dave): Said, the most important thing is to get these children back to Las Cruces and get them safe and then get them back to their family. Indeed. Oh, yeah. Right. Let's And
Hoarcock: don't forget the food for
The GM (Dave): Wheelabout. Let's yeah. Let's let's get back to Las Cruces.
Hoarcock: Mhmm.
The GM (Dave): And they yeah.
Hoarcock: Turn around. Yeah.
The GM (Dave): Billy says, I'm gonna go and find Jimmy.
Marion Freeman: Cool. Okay. Catch up.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Catch up with us when you've Partly
Marion Freeman: Billy wants to go, oh, by the way, Jimmy left this for you.
Hoarcock: Yeah. Jimmy.
Jimmy: By the way.
Marion Freeman: Think I might just discreetly drop that somewhere when I was like,
Hoarcock: in the ambiance. Actually showing the scalp.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. No. I I I saw your faces. I was like No. No. No. No. You don't want that. I kind of feel I did reach into my saddlebag once. Yeah. Yeah. And then, mm-mm. Yeah. Maybe. Yeah.
The GM (Dave): Probably wise.
Hoarcock: So on the journey, I suppose we can kind of hint about the provisions the army's gonna be providing for
The GM (Dave): Yeah. I think he says, look, you gentlemen have been as good as your word. You
Marion Freeman: We're only following your orders, captain.
The GM (Dave): You've well, excellent. We don't owe you anything else then.
Marion Freeman: Good. No. No. No. No. It's what we'll say. Yeah.
The GM (Dave): No. I'm that I'm I'm appreciative. I will I will send a rider to to Fort Craig and instruct them to
Marion Freeman: You're not coming back to Fort Craig with us and the children?
The GM (Dave): Well, but well, yeah. No. That's true, actually. Yeah. Yes. They would yeah.
Jimmy: So you'll be closing back. No further than Las Cruces from here, is it? Really? Not much.
Marion Freeman: And and ideally, we want to sweep up the other patrol as well.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. So actually, what they would well, what yeah. What they're what would they do is come down here, cut across Coyote's Gap Mhmm. And then ride up this way for Craig because that keeps them away
Marion Freeman: from It only cost you a little across across Coyote's Gap.
The GM (Dave): It's not yours yet. No.
Marion Freeman: I think we're giving that to the Pikitos, aren't we?
The GM (Dave): I think that was the plan. Yeah. Well, that wasn't it. Yeah. So I think we're looking at probably three days riding to get to Fort Craig. Jeez. By the time you get there, your wagon has probably only just got there as well, actually. Yeah. You get to Fort Craig. Captain Bristow is a hero. Uh-huh. You get your provisions at a good rate. You spend the rest of your 500, but you get your wagon is full. Cool. And captain Bristow, in a quiet moment away from everybody else, does thank you for your efforts.
Jimmy: And everyone else will I will pick up captain Bristow and the sterling wife. He did.
Hoarcock: Yes. Mhmm.
The GM (Dave): But much appreciated, gentlemen. Much appreciated.
Marion Freeman: Very civilized man. Mhmm. Treated the natives with respect every time.
The GM (Dave): No. Don't say that too hard.
Marion Freeman: That's not
The GM (Dave): that's not what the major wants to hear. Alright. Okay. The major would like me to hear that I kill every one of them with my own hands.
Hoarcock: Alright. Then I'll Okay. We won't slay
The GM (Dave): that. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: But I appreciate it. Good
The GM (Dave): day, gentlemen.
Hoarcock: Good day.
The GM (Dave): All the best.
Hoarcock: Yeah.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. So you can ride back to Leonardo Springs.
Marion Freeman: Do we take the kids with us after Christmas have the glory?
The GM (Dave): So I think the army will escort the children back once they've given them a medical check over and make sure they're alright.
Marion Freeman: I cannot reassure them of that
The GM (Dave): because But I think yeah. I'm the one that's Yeah. You are you are authorized as it were endorsed to tell the Siegbert's that the children have been found and they're safe in the custody of the army. And if they want to actually, if they want to go to Fort Craig, they can collect them from there. Which you do. Anker Siegbert, who's who's basically brother and sister and their families were the ones who were murdered. These are his nephew and niece. Is overcome with Joy. With joy and relief that that they've been found. They did say, you did hear on on the talk back when people were talking to them about their experience, that they were kidnapped by outlaws and they were sold onto the Apache.
Marion Freeman: Oh, so while we're running back, I know the Kyla gang, I've met them. So I ask a little bit about their descriptions, describe the people I met. Are they similar?
The GM (Dave): Yes. Yes. Yep.
Marion Freeman: It's the Kyla gang.
The GM (Dave): It's the
Marion Freeman: Kyla Say that to everybody who's listening. Any troopers Yep. Officers, any sheriffs that are about.
Hoarcock: Can we get his card? What do you say? Go card down. You
The GM (Dave): do see a few weeks later, you get you get a message from from Albuquerque with a there's a there's
Marion Freeman: a Go on. A few weeks later, did you say? Two weeks or three weeks later?
The GM (Dave): Why is that relevant? Yeah. I might be able
Marion Freeman: to make a move
Jimmy: role. Yeah.
The GM (Dave): You can make a move role. Are drawing to the end of this scenario. You do
Jimmy: see that there is a
The GM (Dave): bounty of a hundred dollars per head for the Kyla gang, dead or alive as a result of this information. Mhmm. They were wanted anyway, but now it's it's more serious.
Hoarcock: Does the sheriff get the does sheriff doesn't get the bounty though, does he? No.
Marion Freeman: But his business partners might and might be a single deal. You know, share it out a bit. Maybe we
Jimmy: can come to some arrangement.
The GM (Dave): Goldman Rayburn is is pleased what you've what you've achieved.
Hoarcock: He's actually gonna stop whinging about
The GM (Dave): you know, he's he's lost his his only son. So, you know, it's it's quite bitter for him. And he will probably remain so for a long time. Unlikely to be your best friends ever again. But Mhmm. He's seeing that you are you are doing stuff to help help the town, and perhaps this is just an aberration in your judgment. And now you're you're back on the true path of being loyal, conscientious citizens of of Leonardo Springs.
Marion Freeman: I wanna point out chef Holcock was always dialed it. It's the two of us. Yeah.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Guilt by association, really. And yeah, you get was
Jimmy: just a legitimate business arrangement. Didn't know his mom was gonna go around baingering people, did he?
The GM (Dave): That what
Marion Freeman: he said? Bate. No.
The GM (Dave): Bate. I'm not. I'm getting
Jimmy: very quiet about the matter.
Marion Freeman: Cool.
Jimmy: Okay, you get back.
Hoarcock: Alright.
The GM (Dave): And you're alive. Yes.
Marion Freeman: I'm gonna go and see Quinn, yeah?
Hoarcock: Yep. I'm gonna go and enjoy a glass of wine Just
Marion Freeman: you know?
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Yeah. Well, has she drank it all by now?
Marion Freeman: Making not too much fuss about my collarbone but just enough.
The GM (Dave): Just enough to get a bit of sympathy.
Hoarcock: Yeah. I don't make lots of fuss about my hand.
The GM (Dave): Because you were you were hit by a tomahawk after all. You probably got a bit of a scar.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. And, of course. Given it's 10 to two, should we do season rolls next time?
The GM (Dave): I'm tempted to do them now quickly just because it's good good grist for the mill for the next scenario.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Also useful useful for for the podcast.
The GM (Dave): Yes.
Marion Freeman: So which first? Season rolls or XP?
The GM (Dave): Let's do XP first.
Hoarcock: Well, it's 25 each, isn't it?
Marion Freeman: Yeah. I think so.
The GM (Dave): Oh, I don't remember wearing all of this the XP bits. If you've got access to it, Tony, I wouldn't be upset.
Jimmy: I can search.
The GM (Dave): Is it coming under it comes under that one, doesn't it? There's nothing there.
Jimmy: Depends on whether it's been updated at all since
The GM (Dave): the versions I think it probably needs to be, because I'm still not a huge fan of this version of XP.
Jimmy: Okay. I've got the XP questions here.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Chuck them over then. Thank you. Well, think it's giving too literal. I can't remember. Did you participate? Yes.
Marion Freeman: I think we
Jimmy: did. Of us.
The GM (Dave): Game one. Did you risk or sacrifice something significant to help realize your big dream?
Marion Freeman: Can I say that riding into a camp full of Native Americans who were crossed with us might be best?
The GM (Dave): Big dream?
Marion Freeman: Doing the right thing.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Okay. I'll give you a point for that.
Jimmy: My big dream is making the my brother's ranch a success. Which you could tenten just argue that I'm doing stuff to improve our standing in town, which will help improve our chances of our success.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Go on then.
Jimmy: Possibly a bit 10 US, but
The GM (Dave): And yours is redemption? Redemption.
Hoarcock: Yeah. We're asking two children, isn't it?
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Go on.
Marion Freeman: Not killing the Apache, that's a that's a thing towards
The GM (Dave): Well, you can have a point. Yeah. You've you've you've done good stuff. Yeah. Did you risk or sacrifice something significant for any other character?
Hoarcock: I have.
Marion Freeman: Any other character, not necessarily being a PC.
The GM (Dave): I'm happy to entertain
Marion Freeman: Because I'm just saying I walked into that camp. Yeah. Yeah. For the lives of those two children game of shot
Hoarcock: in my
Jimmy: Eventually, after hiding for a bit.
Marion Freeman: Which is a risk that these two are willing to take.
Jimmy: I I came in as well eventually.
Hoarcock: When I realized
Marion Freeman: You were dragged in.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. But I
Jimmy: choose to step out.
The GM (Dave): Yes. Go on then. I'll you a point all all of you a point for that. Did you perform another extraordinary action of some kind?
Marion Freeman: You did a very good role on something where you got four successes. Why you got four successes?
Hoarcock: I got I got two
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Don't think four successes counts.
Hoarcock: I know. Because I got two rolls. One was a gun and one somebody else was Oh, the engine. When we were doing the engine talk. Remember? When we first met them, we're doing persuasion rolls. I rolled four and he rolled four which stopped which stopped it from kicking off straight away.
Marion Freeman: That's not extraordinary. Is that what you're saying? I mean, actually, I think
The GM (Dave): Another extraordinary I think actually
Marion Freeman: he was more running away from those Indians when he was expecting
Hoarcock: Us to run.
Marion Freeman: Us to run, but trying to talk to them. And hold on. That speech you gave me a faith point for, that's worth an experience point, isn't it?
The GM (Dave): You got a faith point for it. Okay. Now I'm not gonna give you so it's it's more about an action that you have chosen to do Yeah. Regardless of how the role went rather than just getting a really good role. So did you act in accordance with your faith?
Hoarcock: I think
Jimmy: so. My faith is not that my brother would be proud.
The GM (Dave): He would be proud.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. All god's creatures. We are all god's creatures.
The GM (Dave): Yes? Mhmm. What's your faith?
Hoarcock: Faith in my guns, I suppose.
The GM (Dave): I think you did. You did shoot the guys in through the throat. Through the throat. Yeah. Everyone can have a point for that. Specific games can award XP for other actions as well. One, two, three, four. That's four each so far, is it? Go on and have five.
Hoarcock: Five. Am lovely.
The GM (Dave): Wow. That's 11. Okay.
Jimmy: I'll
The GM (Dave): see. So, also, did the group sacrifice or risk something for the good of the settlement or the community?
Marion Freeman: Yes.
The GM (Dave): Yes. I think you have.
Marion Freeman: Our lives. Did the
The GM (Dave): group invest effort or money?
Marion Freeman: So these are not XP roles.
The GM (Dave): These are development settlement points. Settlement points. Alright. Yeah. So this is this this this goes on the town.
Marion Freeman: Oh, where's that settlement sheet?
The GM (Dave): Should be in there somewhere. I think I saw it earlier.
Marion Freeman: Outfit accounts, that's the town. Okay.
The GM (Dave): So you gain a bonus settlement point for that. Did you invest effort or money in the settlement or community?
Hoarcock: Yes, the wine.
The GM (Dave): Did you risk so you risk something. Did you invest effort?
Marion Freeman: That's in one whore. Well, I don't care.
Hoarcock: It's a part of the settlement.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. So did the group protect the settlement or community in some way? Yes. You did. So you get a second settlement point.
Marion Freeman: Oh, that's three, isn't it? I mean, you've given me three yeses on that. I've only been checking.
Hoarcock: Well, we've done that before, that one.
The GM (Dave): How many SP have you got at the minute?
Marion Freeman: Got one plus one per season, and I've now got three others, but it may only be two others because I thought you'd just given me three yeses, Harry, for your best questions.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. I'm I'm just wondering. I will give you three. Yeah. But I'm just wondering whether that middle question is too similar to the first one. Did you sacrifice or risk something for the good of the settlement? Did you invest money or time in the settlement?
Marion Freeman: Oh, I'm
The GM (Dave): Is there a quote?
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Now hold on. We invested time in the settlement by going off on the mission shopping. Yeah. Mhmm. We sacrificed our or risked our lives by going into a Native American camp.
The GM (Dave): To try and save the children who live in the settlement or will live in the yeah. Okay. That's three. That's fair. Okay. Cool. Mhmm. Excellent. How many points does that give you for the
Marion Freeman: So that's four points for settlement. Point bonus.
The GM (Dave): Four in total?
Marion Freeman: Oh, hold on. No. No. No. Settlement point bonus is one. One, two, three. I I guess we've got six in total.
The GM (Dave): And these are and they're
Jimmy: a bonus.
Marion Freeman: And a yeah.
The GM (Dave): Plus one. So that's seven. So that means you'll be able to get an extra amenity this this this this this season. So
Marion Freeman: Sheriff. I'm your I'm sure
The GM (Dave): I printed off Hawcock. The latest. Have you got the latest version of this thingy, Tony?
Jimmy: Of the thingy?
The GM (Dave): Of the end of season.
Jimmy: The latest thing I've got of anything is the version six point zero PDF. So if it's what's in in that would be the
The GM (Dave): It's gonna be pretty close. Yeah. I could fire up my laptop.
Marion Freeman: Chapter 10, turn of the season. I've got two, one dated 04/10/2024. That's the one.
The GM (Dave): Let's have a look then. Yeah. That looks good. Okay. Right then. So we start by looking back. Season business rolls.
Marion Freeman: Business.
The GM (Dave): At the end of every season, you need to say how well your business, your outfit did. The season's business roll is made by the proprietor of the business. So you can choose which one of, I guess, you two because you're spending a lot of your time Okay. Thingy beeing.
Marion Freeman: Well, in fact, I was spending quite a lot of my time courting Kronya, so maybe
The GM (Dave): No, that's alright. You've done your job. But Andy's got another job that you spent a lot of time on. It's your performing. Who's going to make the role as
Marion Freeman: a Performing. Performing.
The GM (Dave): Sorry, it's Anoine Hand.
Marion Freeman: Anoine Sorry. I
Jimmy: have seven.
Marion Freeman: I think you should be making that role.
Hoarcock: Can I give them a help as I'm still doing work?
The GM (Dave): Yeah, think so. Think that's fine too. Yeah, die of help from Andy, die of help from Matthew. Add the modifier for the level of competition in the town. It should be on your town sheet.
Marion Freeman: Plus one.
The GM (Dave): Add the modifiers provided by the status of the town itself. So the law aspect, what is that?
Marion Freeman: Law is so we're still on minus one for everything.
The GM (Dave): Right. So it's minus two dice in total then. Minus one for law, minus
Marion Freeman: Current competition is plus one, is it?
The GM (Dave): If that's what it says on the on the sheet.
Marion Freeman: No. So this says minus one. That says plus one. So is that Yeah. So Current is
The GM (Dave): isn't based on your aspects. It's based on how many other
Marion Freeman: Right. Well, the only ranch in town, so surely that is actually a plus one.
The GM (Dave): Yes. It is. So it is plus one.
Marion Freeman: So it's not minus two is what I'm saying. These two cancel each other out.
The GM (Dave): But so you you get a modifier for the law aspect, which is minus one. Alright. Yeah. And you get a modifier for the farming aspect. Which is also minus Which is minus one. So that's where you get the minus two.
Marion Freeman: Okay. So minus one in total.
Jimmy: So it's basically, my animal handling minus one based on all of that.
Marion Freeman: No. Plus plus our animal handlings.
Hoarcock: Oh, yeah. So you had
Marion Freeman: So it's your animal handling.
The GM (Dave): You get a die of help from both of them.
Marion Freeman: And you lose one in total.
Jimmy: Yep. Yep. So that's gonna give me nine dice in total then.
The GM (Dave): So you can't push this.
Jimmy: One success.
The GM (Dave): Okay. That's fine. So your business is doing okay. You you can draw your salaries and nothing else.
Marion Freeman: Oh. Famous customers plus three to next season's business role.
The GM (Dave): Okay.
Jimmy: I was like, another three.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. So you get another three on top that. Got one success already.
Marion Freeman: Yep. Captain Bristow, the famous
Hoarcock: Cowrie Mounts. Oh. Could be Cowrie Mounts.
Jimmy: No more successes.
Marion Freeman: Anyway, hell no.
The GM (Dave): No. So
Marion Freeman: Quite a problem covering about this year.
The GM (Dave): But your business is running fine. You can all draw your salary
Hoarcock: for the for the for
The GM (Dave): But you don't gain any other bonuses. You don't need to cover debts. You don't need season congregation.
Marion Freeman: $86 is our salary.
The GM (Dave): So you each gain $86.
Hoarcock: Do I get a wee bit for the sheriff or?
The GM (Dave): Yeah, we did agree amount, didn't we? Don't remember how much.
Hoarcock: So, I think you said 25, but I said I'll give them 5 for Killy.
The GM (Dave): Yeah. Okay. So you get 20 then. Yeah. For your part time sheriffing. Can
Marion Freeman: I borrow
Hoarcock: the bus?
The GM (Dave): Okay. So the next thing, town amenities. Check which amenities were chosen at the beginning of the previous season. Laundry. And apply the benefits to your thingamajigs.
Marion Freeman: Something about vermin infestation.
The GM (Dave): So laundry comes under welfare civic. Laundry comes under Civic. So your laundry is now up and running. You gain half in Mercantile, and you gain one in Civic.
Marion Freeman: Oh, the vermin infestation is what?
The GM (Dave): Was the development. Yeah. That's and that's what was this scenario was Yeah. Based on. So you now have the opportunity to choose a new amenity for the settlement. And if you wanna spend five settlement points, you can choose a second amenity.
Marion Freeman: And we do, don't we?
The GM (Dave): There's no reason not to. Why not?
Marion Freeman: So what are our choice of amenities?
The GM (Dave): Let me give you So this.
Hoarcock: No. It's ringing. Do we have a podcast?
The GM (Dave): So have a look at what aspects particularly need.
Marion Freeman: So we are doing quite well on law and welfare and mercantile.
Jimmy: So What's that going?
The GM (Dave): You want to
Marion Freeman: We're on rank two for everything but we're on we're on effectively plus four for civic, plus five for law, plus five for mercantile, plus five for welfare.
The GM (Dave): So if you get one
Marion Freeman: Farming, we could do with a bit more.
The GM (Dave): So if you get a whole point for the two where you've got the one slash furthest to the right, that would give you the next level.
Marion Freeman: Oh, hold on. So what do we what did long do you give us half a point for each?
The GM (Dave): Half Mercatorial, one point one point four Civic. Civic. So you should have done two two lines for Civic.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. So we're, So Civic is now five as well. I'm just going to do that the right way around.
Hoarcock: How about irrigation then if we do better in farming?
Marion Freeman: We could do that given the Spanish yang grants are coming in.
Hoarcock: Irrigation or reservoir, one or two?
Jimmy: Irrigation gives us one in assuming the thing I've got here is the same. One in farming and half in mercantile. Cool. So what's our civic rank? Sorry? What is our current civic rank?
Marion Freeman: Our civic rank is? Two.
Jimmy: Two. So we can't do irrigation in this. Okay. Unless it's changed on here. It's a minimum rank of three for that. Okay.
The GM (Dave): I don't think that'll change, though.
Jimmy: So we can't do irrigation, if that's the case.
Hoarcock: Well, reservoir. Can we do reservoir? What is that?
Jimmy: Reservoir is minimum four.
Hoarcock: Oh, alright. Then we got another.
Marion Freeman: So what we can do with two is animal cull, barns, foragers, horse traders, labor drive, land clearance,
Jimmy: livestock roundup, paddocks and corrals. Horse Traders gives us one farming and half in Mercantile, so does Labour Drive, but that also gives minus half in Law.
Marion Freeman: Yeah, but we don't want other
The GM (Dave): horse traders. That's true. Although it would encourage other horse traders, yes.
Hoarcock: Yeah. How about land clearing? Paddocks and quarrels. Yeah?
The GM (Dave): Have you got them already?
Marion Freeman: We have got saloons. Paddocks and oh, we've got saloons, wells, paddocks and quarrels, wanted posters, boardwalks, mines, public latrines, church, a sheriff's office and laundry.
Jimmy: Can go for mills, because it's half in farming and one in Mocantile.
Marion Freeman: Tell you what we could do. Could we do something on natural Resources. We haven't got mines.
Hoarcock: Yeah. I thought it was I thought Rayburn was mine.
Marion Freeman: No. We have got mines. Yeah.
The GM (Dave): I think, yeah, you took mines. Yeah. We
Marion Freeman: could do timber mill. Panning claims? Just saying because we're now getting some land on the other side of the river where people might go panning.
Hoarcock: You can scale by Patrick. Yeah. Well, panning claims. Why not?
Jimmy: Because half of Mercator Todium and one in natural riches.
Hoarcock: Can we do that? We know.
Jimmy: Yep. We can do pan and cake.
Marion Freeman: Or or oh, no. I don't know. That's competition. Well, I'm trying to I'm trying to butter up Loki boy.
The GM (Dave): Who? Trying to butter up who? Garland.
Marion Freeman: Garland. And that actually may be competition. Timber mill?
Jimmy: Timber mill. Did say that. Gives you some farming and
The GM (Dave): There is timber in the hills.
Marion Freeman: Mhmm. Should we go with the timber mill?
The GM (Dave): Timber mill. Okay.
Marion Freeman: Hold on. No. That's not in Did he
Jimmy: put timber milf? Timber milf.
Marion Freeman: It's only because I'm a timber dylf. Where do we do the next development? Do we write that down here actually?
The GM (Dave): Yeah. So put it down basically 1873 Spring. Spring. And then write them down on that one, that line. And then you get to choose another one as well if you wanna spend five of your settlement points.
Jimmy: Which we might as well.
The GM (Dave): You might as well. There's no good reason not to.
Marion Freeman: What are we what are our lowest immunity Citizen citizenry meetings?
Hoarcock: Immunities? What about how about part of the the low immunity is low.
Marion Freeman: Citizenry meetings gives us plus one to civic and plus half to welfare. Oh,
Hoarcock: god. Nobody here.
Jimmy: So bath houses.
Marion Freeman: And since they have meetings anyway, wherein they accuse us of being glimmin, we could
Hoarcock: What? Being
Marion Freeman: Working for what sense?
The GM (Dave): Chisholm. Chisholm.
Jimmy: Accused her for doing that thing you were doing.
Hoarcock: Yes. But that's me. I'm sorry. I'm
Marion Freeman: not Okay. Citizens of the meetings, I've decided. We've gotta keep this time tight. Okay?
The GM (Dave): Okay. Lifestyle then. You need to choose your lifestyle for the next season. And it costs you money. So you should have a lifestyle for this season written down on your character sheet.
Marion Freeman: A character sheet. Can't remember when I got lifestyle there.
Jimmy: Yeah. I'm managing apparently.
The GM (Dave): That costs a hundred and $50 for the the season.
Jimmy: You got my brother or someone?
Hoarcock: No. Yep.
The GM (Dave): Who's not? You're doing okay, if not well. You have enough to eat and your clothes, if a little threadbare, are of sufficient quality to keep you warm, cool, and dry. Your home is as good as all the other normal folk and you live a decent, if simple, life.
Marion Freeman: Right. So spend a hundred and 50 on managing. Oh, what's the next one up? Comfortable.
Jimmy: It's enough.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. How much is it?
The GM (Dave): 200. 2 hundred? Oh. You have good clothes, decent food, and you never run out of firewood. Your home is nicely appointed and the good Can
Marion Freeman: we order $4,200? I don't wanna be lauding it above the two of you.
Jimmy: Well, I I'm not sure. Want to I mean, I can't really afford hundred and 50, but I'm gonna go with it anyway. I'm gonna stick I'm gonna stick with managing. Right. Okay.
Hoarcock: Yeah. Managing, I mean.
The GM (Dave): I mean, you know, you can have a different one to them if you want, Matt. So
Marion Freeman: Well, I guess I am the the the majority shareholder.
The GM (Dave): If you do that, you get a fame modifier for the season of plus one.
Marion Freeman: I'm gonna go up to comfortable.
The GM (Dave): Cool. Andy, who you
Hoarcock: I'm gonna start managing at the moment.
The GM (Dave): I'm gonna
Jimmy: start managing.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Personal
Marion Freeman: fortune Bear in mind that now I'm bringing all the wood into the house you all benefit from. There's always wood for the fire.
The GM (Dave): Okay. So what you now need to do, having put your amenity changes Yeah. On, work out your town's current prosperity.
Marion Freeman: Right.
The GM (Dave): It may not have changed. In fact, I don't think it would have changed actually.
Marion Freeman: So
The GM (Dave): Are they all still two?
Marion Freeman: They're all still rank two. Yes.
The GM (Dave): So it hasn't gone up yet. It will go up next time maybe.
Marion Freeman: Okay.
The GM (Dave): So your prosperity remains the same.
Marion Freeman: 12.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Personal fortunes.
Hoarcock: Oh, god. Is probably wrong.
Jimmy: So what's our welfare aspect currently?
Marion Freeman: Our welfare aspect is currently rank two, just half a point away from rank three.
The GM (Dave): So you make a d66 roll. Each? Yep. This is your own personal fortune. If you live in a town with a welfare aspect of one or two, you add plus one to your tens die, so it makes it more likely to be a bad personal fortune. Who's going the amount that you're going to test?
Marion Freeman: Orange first. Sixty three.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Terrible illness.
Jimmy: Oh, dear.
The GM (Dave): One of your compadres gets very ill. The GM decides on their disease and how they contracted it. They will lose one point from a random attribute. Now do you have any compadres?
Marion Freeman: I don't think I do.
The GM (Dave): Okay. So it might be an NPC then.
Jimmy: Okay.
Marion Freeman: How about that white dust?
Jimmy: Okay.
The GM (Dave): Use your all in it.
Jimmy: Okay. So it's plus one. And do
Marion Freeman: you need
Jimmy: Yellow is tens. Oh dear. This is
The GM (Dave): 73. Disease in the family. A family member or compadre is seriously ill.
Marion Freeman: They're not
The GM (Dave): dead yet but their life hangs in the balance. Not
Hoarcock: your mother.
Marion Freeman: Well maybe.
Hoarcock: Red then.
Marion Freeman: Or maybe it's your brother. He's still alive. Getting young to life. He's he's on the Right.
Hoarcock: Where are then?
The GM (Dave): Life hangs in the balance.
Hoarcock: 42.
The GM (Dave): Is that with plus on there?
Hoarcock: That's clear here.
The GM (Dave): Andy, forty two. Brush with the law. A sheriff or marshal from out of town turns up looking for a family member or a compadre. Are they in trouble, suspected of a crime, or are they in danger from somebody else?
Jimmy: That's what you got on your last one. That's why
The GM (Dave): That's why Grandpa Willie's in deep shape.
Jimmy: Oh, yes. Those deputies came for Grandpa Willie.
The GM (Dave): Okay. Interesting. Certainly. Okay. Town fortune rolls now. So the town fortune roll is another d 66, and it's modified by the prosperity of the town. So the prosperity is 12, if I'm right.
Jimmy: Alright.
The GM (Dave): Yep. Plus one to the tens die. So d 66 plus one to the tens die.
Marion Freeman: You want to roll this? No. Get it. Plus one I can't roll so high twice, can I? Sixty six seventy six.
Jimmy: 70 six. Oh, shit. Ten's in.
Marion Freeman: Now why can't I get two bloody successes on two dice and then the other dice all I
The GM (Dave): make? Fools The resources around the town are nowhere near as good as everyone thought. Oops. The town's natural riches aspect maximum possible rank is reduced by two. Basically on the town, you cannot possibly get rank whatever the green two are in natural resources. Right.
Marion Freeman: Natural resource.
The GM (Dave): So that is your maximum, that is your cap.
Jimmy: It's not immediate effect, isn't it? Limits to hell.
Marion Freeman: Just as well, we didn't do that panning thing.
Jimmy: Yeah.
Hoarcock: I've had
Marion Freeman: a look. It's shit.
The GM (Dave): I've realized just how shit it is. That was 76, isn't it? And that's the turn of the season. We
Jimmy: move
The GM (Dave): to spring eighteen seventy three for the next time. Alright. Cool.
Jimmy: Good game, guys. Yep. Excellent.
Marion Freeman: Tales of the Old West is brought to you by Effect. The music is Old West game by Stu Venable, used with claim permission of the Angry Folk Media Empire.