The space between the small tasks and the big goals is the sweet spot. It’s where you savor the moment (the now), while you say no to things that don’t matter and yes to the things that do. To get off the Busyness Bandwagon, stay out of Infinity Pools, and make time for what matters, you choose your highlight for the day. Then apply laser focus, energize and reflect.
The Busyness Bandwagon is the culture of constant busyness. In the high tech, modern world, busyness is a status symbol – the busier you are, the more in demand you are, and the more successful you become. That’s the common belief.
Infinity Pools are apps, services and products that have infinite content and are always on. There’s social media like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter; video streaming like YouTube, Netflix and Amazon Prime, and web browsers like Safari, Google Chrome, and Bing, which give you 24/7 access to information around the world. You can dip back into Infinity Pools at any time to find fresh content. There’s always more water in the pool.
In episode 18 of The Incrementalist podcast, you will learn:
1. Why it's important to get off the Busyness Bandwagon and avoid Infinity Pools
2. Four steps to repeat daily to make time for what matters -
- Highlight - choose your highlight of the day (i.e. identify the one big thing to do today, which ideally will take 60 to 90 minutes)
- Laser - beat distractions like social media, email and news feeds (i.e. find laser mode to focus on the big thing)
- Energize - build energy in your body and brain (i.e. have the energy to do the big thing)
- Reflect - decide which tactics you want to keep, drop or tweak (i.e. determine what worked and what didn't work in making time for the big thing)
- Urgency - what’s the most pressing thing I have to do today?
- Satisfaction - which highlight will bring me the most satisfaction?
- Joy - when I reflect on today, what will bring me the most joy?
- Jake Knapp & John Zeratsky, Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day
- The Incrementalist podcast, Ep. 16, Hack Back Email
- Sebastian Brian Mehr
Check out the book: The Incrementalist, A Simple Productivity System to Create Big Results in Small Steps
Visit website: www.dyanwilliams.com
Subscribe to productivity e-newsletter
What is The Incrementalist?
Welcome to The Incrementalist podcast! Hosted by Dyan Williams - productivity & purpose coach and solo lawyer - this show offers simple techniques and tools to focus on your top priorities and design a well-lived life. You will who learn how to use the Incrementalist approach to turn your ideas into action, maximize focus, and make time for what truly matters.