On this episode of the podcast, I'm joined by fellow Canadian and author of the book *Ultralearning: Master Hard Skills, Outsmart the Competition and Accelerate Your Career *, Scott H. Young.
This episode is brought to you by the University of California Irvine Division of Continuing Education. Established in 1962, UCI offers education for adult learners in Orange County. But thanks to technology, their courses and certification programs in various fields are now available worldwide and online for just about anyone who's interested. You can get 15% off of one (1) course by visiting http://ce.uci.edu/productivityist then enter the promo code: timecrafting. Make sure you take advantage of this limited time offer soon as it is only valid until December 31, 2019 at 11:59 pm.
On this episode of the podcast I wanted to talk to with Scott about the answers to that question his blog (and writing) has been pondering since its beginnings. I also wanted to explore the idea of "ultralearning," why striving to be an "ultralearner" is a worthwhile pursuit, and plenty of other productivity-related questions that I've wanted to ask him ever since I started following his work years ago.
Specifics that we covered on the show include:
- What is ultralearning? (2:48)
- The differences between "just in time learning" and ultralearning and how they can work together (5:19)
- What the first thing Scott "ultralearned" was and how it went for him (7:03)
- What you can do to get past the misconception that you don't have time to spend on ultralearning (8:25)
- These are the principles of ultralearning that people tend to "mess up" the most (10:21)
- Why Scott had to explain the principles of ultra learning and offer tactics that may work in conjunction with those principles (13:46)
- The best principle that offers a springboard to ultralearning (18:50)
- The role that focus plays in ultralearning (21:22)
- Is there a point when you tend to find it's time to abandon ultralearning a particular subject or area? (24:19)
- How spending time ultralearning can lead towards a pivot (28:09)
- Why does this book matter now? (30:34)
"The ultralearner is the person who is going to do that hard thing even if it's a little bit more uncomfortable and get that result rather than someone who is going to do that easy thing that isn't going to make much progress." - Scott H. Young
- Get Ultralearning by Scott H. Young
- Episode 226: How to Build a Company of One with Paul Jarvis
- The MIT Challenge
- Episode 211: Hyperfocus with Chris Bailey
- Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength
- Scott Young's Blog
If you enjoyed the episode, please leave a rating and/or review wherever you listened to the episode. And if you want to have easy access to the archives of the show and ensure you don't miss the new episodes to come then subscribe to the podcast in the app you're using – or you can do so on a variety of podcast platforms by clicking here.
I appreciate you giving this episode a listen as I enjoyed putting it together for you. See you later.
What is The Productivityist Podcast: A Time Management and Personal Productivity Talk Show?
Hosted by productivity strategist Mike Vardy, The Productivityist Podcast is a weekly show that discusses tips, tools, tactics, and tricks that are designed to help you take your productivity, time management, goals, to do lists, habits, and workflow to new heights - both at work and at home. If you're looking to focus your efforts on getting the right things done and start living the good life, then this weekly conversational podcast – crafted in the tradition of Slate's Working, Back to Work, and HBR IdeaCast – is for you.