Confused about the difference between Great Britain and The United Kingdom, and always wondered when to call someone British instead of English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish?
Let's clear it up, and explain how we got to this, admittedly, pretty complicated situation.
Full transcript, key vocabulary, and bonus episodes available on www.leonardoenglish.com
- Bye bye European Union
- Do people in the UK know the difference?
- The UK vs. Great Britain
- England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland - countries or not?
- Key events in the history of the formation of The United Kingdom
- The British Isles (actually 6,000 islands)
- Why is Great Britain 'Great'?
- Why does England play at the football World Cup but Great Britain compete at the olympics?
- When should you call someone British vs. English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish?
- What might happen after Brexit?
Key vocabulary: Listing out, Tricky, Interchangeably, Generalise, Stereotype, In light of, Admittedly, Synonyms, Sovereign state, Counties, I wouldn't blame you, Parliament, Ultimately, Key, Unification, Tribes, Effectively, Withdrew, Recap, Comprised, Bailiwick, Conflicting, Distinguish, Ego, Abundantly, Compete, Catchy, Branding, Fiercely, Heritage, Offended, Bet, Long story short, Phenomenally, Plausible, Referendum, Inevitably, Misuses
- Join the Learn English with Podcasts community: www.facebook.com/groups/learnenglishwithpodcasts
What is English Learning for Curious Minds?
Are you looking for a more interesting way to to learn English?
English Learning for Curious Minds is where you can learn English from native speakers while learning fascinating things about the world.
Every episode comes with a transcript & key vocabulary and is spoken at a speed you can understand.
Join listeners from 155 countries and discover the most interesting way to improve your English while expanding your mind.
Find the bonus episodes, transcripts, key vocabulary, and learning materials at www.leonardoenglish.com