Trey: Hello, and welcome back to another episode of MCU Need to Know a podcast dedicated to the Marvel cinematic universe and everything that you need to know. I'm Trey!
Jude: I'm jude. How are you doing, Trey?
Trey: I am so happy because we are recording our Eternals review. It's always so good to see another Marvel movie, man.
Jude: Oh yeah, this was man. I saw it, brought my oldest saw it in IMAX, so cool. And I mean, I'll be honest.
Trey: Oo, I didn't know you got to see it in IMAX
Jude: Yeah, and I'll be honest the only reason why I got to see it in IMAX is cause I didn't get my tickets like ahead of time, and I picked them up from school and I was like, Hey, you want to go see Eternals? Yeah. And there's like, no. Yeah. I had to talk them into seeing it, which is so weird. Cause I had to talk them into seeing Cianci and they'd love Shanghai. I'm like anyways, um, Trying to like find tickets of, I was surprised of how full the theaters were, and that was trying to find tickets where the two of us could sit together that wasn't like the front row and, you know, something where we felt comfortable and all that. So we ended up in my IMEX.
Trey: I love, hopefully I can tee this up for you. You shared a screenshot of the text messages regarding that particular ticket confirmation. Are you cool with sharing that for the podcast? Oh yeah.
Jude: Oh, I thought you
Trey: were gonna say, you want me to say it? I was teeing you up to say,
Jude: okay, now maybe I thought you were. Yeah. So, um, you know, so I got my T the text ticket confirmation, and the last text message. Because I don't go to the Caesar that often, um, there's other theaters, but the last text message I had, um, right above it was my nine 30 in the morning in game tickets.
Trey: That is, I love how it was within that text history that you could see it. That's so
Jude: cool. And that was probably the last time I went to that. You know, and not a COVID thing, just, that's not my theater of choice.
Trey: Well, I want to, I want to follow up more with your IMX experience, but I'll say that for when we get into the movie and instead I want to say this small little tidbit, because I have a funny story from going to the theater to watch this. They played a myriad of trailers before the movie. One of which was the Batman and it was a really cool trailer. I I'm excited for the film. And the trailer ends and it's like March 20, 22. And then all of a sudden you hear this five-year-old kid go, go, pat man. And it was the cutest thing. Like normally I hate like loud noises in the theater. Cause we talked about it. We're movie snobs, but there was something about the innocence of that child is going like go Batman that got me all and it was, it was great.
Jude: Yeah. I talked during the trailers. Hayden during the movies, but I've talked to her in the trailer. So that kid, he, you just do your thing. I'm in fact, my talking, my talking in the trailers, the matrix came on the matrix trailer. Um, and my oldest, you know, was watching it. He was like, oh, that's so cool. I don't care traitor. And all, you got to take me to see it. I was like, I can't. It's like, you got to see the first story as a trust me, you got to see the first three. She's like, okay. And I was just like, well, no, I'm sorry. I'm making you see the second two because they sucked. But I really don't want you to see all three, but you have to see all three. So I'm sorry. They do real quick. How
Trey: old is your oldest? If you're comfortable saying 13. 13. Okay. Nevermind. I was going to say they might be the same age that I was when I watched the matrix for the first time
Jude: when they're a little bit older. Yeah. Well, I mean, in the matrix is rated R the first one bloody. I w from it's as soft are, you know, well, you know what, and that's the whole conversation. We can have maybe a topic because so much of the violence in the matrix. Um, and I'm talking about the 1999 matrix. I don't feel like it has to be behind the smaller zone, but it is like those aren't people, those are programs, you know, and, and this weird, like the philosophical are you killing people, you know? And within the framework of that movie and stuff. And so. You know, and it's interesting cause it is the violence, but in the concept of that movie, it's like, is it really violent and in any anyways, um, that might be a fun topic episode to get into.
Trey: Well, speaking of future episodes, let's switch back to this one, which if you downloaded, you know, that we are going to be talking about our quick reactions to the internals. Now, something I want to go ahead and spotlight here at the top is Jude and I are recorded. Already recorded something at the beginning of this episode that we'll be playing at the end of this episode, which is we did a small test to see if we could recall the names of the eternal characters from memory without looking up any knowledge. And the reason why I wanted to do this is, and this can lead us into our preschool is not.
Jude: No,
Trey: you're going to have to wait till the end of the episode to see how he did. But one of the things leading into this movie is it felt like there was this conversation that nobody knew who these characters were and that it was going to be hard to care about them by the end of the film. And I don't know, it just, it, it felt like it would be a fun way to test how well this movie was able to establish that characterization. Against our memories as well, I should add. But, uh, also, uh, I wanted to bring this up here at the top of the episode as well. Uh, we had the opportunity to join it. Tara from there was an idea to do a, another MCU character draft. So if you listen to the one we did with the movies, make sure that you are subscribed to her podcasts because that should be out now.
Jude: Yes. This episode is known as the Jude redemption
Trey: hashtag Jude's redemption. It's, you know, we mentioned this to tease this a little bit. We mentioned in this episode how we are at, where I don't know if we've crossed it, but we are at the threshold of being good enough friends to start screwing each other over in the draft. And so you could feel it in this episode and that's all I'll say
Jude: yes, yes. Very much.
Trey: So you, uh, might be interested in that. Well, of course we will link it in the show notes. And of course that is going to take us to our pre spoiler thoughts. So the way we're going to do this is if you have not seen the movie. Uh, this is the section for you to listen, to get a taste of what the movie's like without fear of spoilers. Uh, we will end our thoughts with an audio cue, which will take us into the spoiler zone where we'll be fair game for all spoilers in the MCU. But before we get there, Jude, do you have any pre spoiler thoughts?
Jude: Uh, so I'm going to call back to, or what to expect episode. And I said, I was hoping or expecting, um, a big epic, I don't think. Hmm. And what I, what I was expecting when I said epic, I, in some ways I think it did that. And in some ways I don't think it did that. Um, and in a good way, right? Like, cause I was, I was expecting like this long time of human history. Um, but the way they were able to organize the, the, the narrative and the timeline, I really. Really enjoyed because they tackled a lot for this movie.
Trey: Yeah. I think that ties directly into one of my priest pro thoughts in that this movie is an incredibly ambitious movie. Uh, it is tasked with setting up so many characters, uh, letting them grapple with their purpose and how they personally feel about it. Like, I think one of the pre spoiler thoughts I had was the mileage may vary per person. Depending on how patient you are with this movie, because this movie is as interested in the way that these characters act as superheroes as they are with how they feel about it. And I think for me personally, that is an incredible lens at which this movie is interested in. And I, I thoroughly enjoyed
Jude: that. Oh yes. Yes. That's an excellent way to put it. I think
Trey: that the, the only other thing that I think I would add to that again, kind of going with that epic feel in our. Or what to expect episode the scale. I think maybe if it doesn't accomplish it in the timelines that we were thinking of in that, that what to expect episode the scales at which they are playing with, I think are larger than anything we've seen in the MCU so far. And I'll leave it at that before we get into the spoiler zone. Yeah. All right. Let's spoil it. All right. Well, like we said, you're going to hear an audio cue and on the other side, it'll be fair game for all spoilers in the MC. So we'll see you on the other side
Jude: and we're back.
Trey: Hi.
Jude: Oh my God. I'm like a moon Moonlight showed up. Okay.
Trey: Well, how about your, uh, in our pre or what to expect episode your proclamation about the X-Men.
Jude: Yeah, it didn't happen. Actually. Actually I say that, I feel like it feels like because, because in this movie they tackled like, you know, she, the history of earth and, and I guess to go back to my preschool there, thought in my head, I don't know why I kind of was envisioning a linear timeline. And, and so that's what I mean where it wasn't, it wasn't, um, as I expected with the non-linear jumping historically, um, which I thought really worked well for me, you know? Well, it did work well for me, which I thought, you know, was, was, um, a really good way to do
Trey: it. Yeah. So we're here at. It's our third quick reactions episode that we've done. We've done one for black widow. We've done one for Shung T, and now we're doing one for the internals. And I think the best place to start with those is just that simple question of did it meet your expectations? And we can just kind of play off from there with things we want to add in, but I'm very curious. Did this movie meet your expectations?
Jude: Yes. Thinking back I, to there, what I was excited, what I was hoping to see. It really did. I, there's some elements of, uh, I want to say this, uh, it's, it's weird. I want to cause I'm of going to lead with a negative here, which is not really our emo. Um, but I'm just going to get it out of the way, because there's so much I liked about it. Um, I think there was some moments that for me, I'm like, okay, that's the Marvel happening? And this is what Chloe's owl wants to do. And it didn't take me out, but it, it totally felt different in some places, you know, Eh, like it was like, oh, we have to do this. Cause we're Marvel. Um, other than that, you know, I just, man, like you said, ambitious, like what they tried to tackle was just. And that epic since, uh, going off the trailers, it really did, you know, um, it didn't disappoint me. It, it really did meet my expectations.
Trey: You have any specific, and you could just have one, a specific example about that. Marvel S feel about it. Cause I have one in mind, which I can go first, if you need
Jude: the first fight with the deviant, just felt like on the beach. Actually, uh, so not on the beach, cause like, like, I mean yeah, on the beach, cause it kinda just thrown in there and, and that was a good like, cause there was a good, quick way to introduce all the characters and you get to see the power sets. Right. Um, and so it was a good way to do that, but the, that, that scene in London where, cause it just kind of showed up out of nowhere, which I realized sometimes the villains in. The villains counterparts or my counterpart, you know, henchman, henchman. I didn't, I didn't want to use the word henchman. Cause you know, this is like a alien dog type, but like when the deviants kind of show up, it was just like, I dunno, just the way it was. It just felt, it felt they're like, okay, we're more of a, we have to throw some. I got, do you know what I mean? And so that really felt out of place for what I was seeing up to that point. Uh,
Trey: the, the example that I was going to bring up is more on the comedic side and I'm so. That this is kind of like, it worked for me to an extent, but I was also self-aware of it. As much as I talked about how excited I was for Kumail Nanjiani to be the comedic effect, the insistent running bit of him like narrating, what was going on as though he was blogging, I think got old by one of the last times they did it. Like the one, the one that hit me is when they were on the Domo. And who was it? It was a Gilgamesh that was like, dude, you're freaking everybody out. Or one of them said, something like that. No, it was Fastow's fastest is the one by that point. Yeah. By that point it was like, okay. I feel like Marvel's doing their thing here, which is weird because I generally am okay with their, their humor sensibilities. But I felt it a little bit in this movie.
Jude: That's interesting. Cause that. Yeah, I loved all that. I thought that was great. Cause to me that was, that was for me, that was their way of, well, let me put it this way. And like in Thor, I felt like Thor did a good job cause I know we haven't reviewed Thor, but I felt like Thor did a good job of balancing. We're going to take the material seriously. We realize this is a store, you know, and I, and I felt like that was a good way for the audience to like, Hey, we're going to take this seriously, but I realize what we're asking you to buy into and the ability to kind of. Make fun of itself. Um, and not, and not make it fun of itself. That's not the right way to put it, but, but to have that, um, you know, I think, I think it helps the audience sometimes, um, that suspension of disbelief, um, a little more with things like that. And so that's, so that's why it worked for me.
Trey: Going back to the original question of did this movie meet your expectations? I say yes. Uh, I really enjoyed this film. Um, I had already caught on just by being on social media, that this was going to be a split timeline scenario where we'd be jumping back to the present and, um, in the past, as it converged into one point. So I was, I was prepped for that. Um, The thing that I was looking forward to the most, as far as an expectation I wanted to meet was that, um, characterization of all the new characters that they were putting forth and seeing how well they would gel together and. Uh, because I mentioned it in the preschooler thoughts like this movie is as interested in their actions as it is about how they feel. The thing that I kept circling back to at least for some of these members, is how interesting it was that so often in these movies and for shorthand, I'll just say vendors, I know not everybody's an Avenger, but so often part of. The vendors are, is sacrificing something for the greater good. And the thing that I thought that was interesting about this film is they did that. They spent, you know, thousands of years fighting off the deviance, finish their goal, got to go live a life and then were asked to be brought back into the fold. So it's very interesting to me to watch how some of these characters had to reconcile with going back to their original motive while also having found some. Life after the superhero role, if that makes sense. No, that makes a lot of sense. That was such an interesting angle. I think, for this movie to see. Yeah, cause you had, you know, you had, you know, I was just talking about Kingo you add him in his love of filmmaking. You had a fast dose and the family that he found in the way that it rejuvenated his faith in humanity, as well as Searcy and her relationship that she was building with Dane. So it was just a great way to ground and characterize these people in such an, a. Uh, efficient timescale. I know it's two, two hours and 48 minutes, but the amount of characters they were juggling, I thought they did it really.
Jude: Oh yeah. It was a huge cast and we got to know all of them, God. And like you said, in a much deeper way. And there was even from beginning to it, like, we'll take Sprite, you know, of that beginning moment where not herself and the bowl. And it has to move away. Like it's such a small moment, but it impacts the end and her decisions she makes at the end, you know? Um, and, and why she feels the way she does. And I think it really dealt with the psychology that they probably had of for thousands of years.
Trey: Hanging out. And speaking of that timescale, one of the things that was interesting is the way they were able to make their personalities feel. The word that's coming to me to complete, but the, the two examples I can give is there is the opening scene with Searcy where, uh, Dane Whitman is lecturing her class for her because she's running late. And then she shows up and she's like, Hey, thanks for covering me. And I think, uh, Dane mentioned that she's always late. Then we get a flashback to a time. Prior in, like, I can't remember one of the ancient times and Searcy is once again late. And so somebody comments on it. So you see there's consistency there. Uh, with Fastow's, you know, he was a tinker, he was always building something for the team and, and constantly trying to build and further humanity as a species with his inventions, but having to dial it back. And then you get the scene where he's in present day with his family and he's tinkering with his son's bike. So I love those small little connective moments. They had to show that these. Characters have lived such a large span of time, but they are the same people from where they started to where we get to meet with them in the present. Yeah.
Jude: So can I bring something up? No. Okay. Go ahead, Nick. Sandy. Well, I I'm just, while you were talking, I pulled up the Eternals, uh, rotten tomatoes, reviews and scores. Yup. I'm reading the little snippets of all the rotten ones that are not even reading them and just kind of glancing at a couple of them, you know, and coming out of the movie, I'm trying to word this nicely and humbly, but I don't think I can, um, for the rotten scores, I'm like, I've, I felt coming out of this movie, I felt like you had to have a particular level of intelligence. I appreciate it. And in particular understanding of like history in culture and myth. And if you didn't, I'm like, okay, that makes sense that you wouldn't like the movie. Um, and I, I, it feels so insulting to say, because there's so much of wrapped in of like who Gilgamesh is and understanding like, You know, the, um, the, the humanities that, that it's like it was so rich, you know, um, that I'm just like that alone attempting to tackle that alone was just really impressive.
Trey: I'm trying to figure out how to word that. And I think I'm just going to fall on this sword and it's gonna, it's gonna like expose maybe my own intelligence, but I remember you bringing up Gilgamesh in our, what to expect, uh, episode. I'll be honest. Now I, I picked up on stuff, some stuff here and there like Icarus. Um, there was another one. Well, no, it was the Icarus, uh, story where they made the joke that Sprite spread that story to poke fun at Icarus about getting too close to the sun and stuff like that. So there are myths and stuff that I picked up on, but there are some stuff that flew over my head, like Gilgamesh. I am not entirely familiar with that. Yeah.
Jude: Okay. So like let's, let's start here in the, in the beginning is how it starts. Okay. And it's very biblical, you know, like, like Joseph Campbell would have loved this film, so. You have, you know, the, the very, the, the creation story myths right there in the beginning, um, with the text, you kind of see the creation of the earth. Like you have the one shot where the raised specifically brought water. Um, you know, and so, you know, this life giving, um, and, and of course the one who can bring water that's this life-giving is the one in the end. Who's going to. Give earth life and, you know, to continue on, but like the TMI, you know, is one of the two people in this ancient Babylonian story, a new Maggie lush, um, and a new way. Eli should. I know I'm mispronouncing it. I apologize for that. Um, and especially after the snobby statement, I just said, um, like there in Babylon at the hanging gardens of Babylon, one of the seven ancient wonders of the world, where. During the Babylonian biblically during the Babylonian exile you had. You had this ancient Mesopotamia story that , and that was TMR. And I think Martu cause the other one, and they basically are these gods that have this battle and fight, and one of them dies. The body like is cut in half the body of the dead. God here becomes the earth. And then like the bones and blood that go splattered everywhere is. What, um, becomes of, or becomes the people so to speak, like the things then during the Babylonian exile, you have essentially what ends up becoming what we now know is modern day Orthodox Judaism. T to maintain their own faith and their belief and, and this and this, you know, actually at the time they, they believed in more than one guy and it was kind of, he had one God among other gods. And then this is where it kind of narrowed in to just now the one God that you'd have in Judaism, which later, you know, Christianity and whatnot, but there was a reaction. That whole seven day creation stories or reaction to that story of TMR dying in there. Because in that story in ancient Mesopotamia creation is an afterthought. We're not here because we're wanted here. And so they did the seven day creation story where God saw it was good. And this was good on everything as a reaction to show and teach their kids, this faith that God wants us here. And it's true. And like, all of that is wrapped up in this. Movie that if you don't aware of it, it's just like, oh, that's his name? TMR. And, oh, look, that's the blue hanging gardens of Babylon. But like, no, this is the things they're rooting into the, the, the evolution of human history and interweaving all this myth and culture, um, Gilgamesh, you know, when the story of Gilgamesh and other, um, I believe. Ancient Mesopotamian Babylonian type story that has a flood story. That's very similar to the flood in Noah's Ark. Um, you know, uh, if I remember right, it's been a while. It it's roughly around the same time period, as far as written, I think Gilgamesh might actually be older, but like all of that is laced within this. And that's what I mean by like a kid who's super ambition, ambitious to tackle this. And it's like, If you're not aware, you know, and this is probably one of the few movies I've talked through. Cause I was leaning over to bear the whole time and I was like, okay, this is that. And this means this and that name is this. And you know, That like, I'm eating it up and I'm like, if you don't, if you're not aware of all those things, they right over the
Trey: head. So what I'm hearing is I need, cause we did the Spider-Man commentary. I need you, even if it's just for me to come over and watch the turtles with me so I can have your commentary while I'm watching the movie. Uh, cause there are definitely things like the TMR completely went over my head. I was confused as to where that name was pulled from. And I was like, all right, I'm just going with it and hearing the more you talk about it, it also makes sense to me, it is no coincidence that a Jack says that they have seven days it's because they are blending all these different myths and tales together. Yeah. So I, I appreciate you bringing in that insight because that was something that definitely was
Jude: lost on first. I called my wife when we got out of the feet. Well, she texted me, so I knew she was still awake, but then I called and I was like, you gotta see this, you have this because she's even more knowledgeable than I am on all of this stuff. And it's just, yeah, it's
Trey: crazy. So do you have the, uh, the tickets bought for that viewing yet? Or are they going to.
Jude: Uh, we will actually go see it. I don't know when, but we're definitely gonna go see it.
Trey: Oh, okay. That's awesome. Well, you know, I wanted to bring up another point. Uh, speaking of Gilgamesh, uh, one of the things that I wanted to bring up is how much I enjoyed the relationship between him and Thena. Um, it was very moving to see him stick up for her. When the option on the table was to erase her memory. Even as a tangent, the idea like I've, I've seen characters before who span, uh, immeasurable amount of lifetime. And this is the first time at least that I can remember at the, at this recording, that the idea of those memories becoming so unbearable that they have that sickness. I forgot exactly what was called something weary and. That was an interesting idea that they were playing with that. Like whenever they reached that point where they just have too many memories for the mind to handle, they have to be wiped down so that they can start again is, is heartbreaking. And the fact that Gilgamesh was willing even after they were given the freedom to go and do whatever it was, they pleased he volunteered to stay with her because he cared about her and wanted to see her in a great place. And that was. Especially whenever we caught up with them again, and to see that they were such a happy. Units and how they were functioning and the, the ha and the, the life that they had created together. And I thought that was so moving and it adds so much to, because obviously we're in spoilers zone. Gilda mash, unfortunately does not make it in this movie, but it makes that moment whenever Thena is vindicated for all the memories that she was dealing with after they learned the truth about what it means to be the eternal and the burden that has been placed upon them, that it wasn't that she was malfunctioning. She. Was remembering the things that were supposed to be white from her. And so the vindication that she gets when she takes out the, uh, the deviant that killed Gilgamesh is just such a moving thread from the beginning of their relationship to where it ends with Dina and her, um, catharsis. And
Jude: that's such a good example of. Of this movie trying to tackle with so many characters, like the psychological impact of what they're doing. Um, and it does it in such a visual way, uh, with Dina's character, you know, um, you know, well, in a visual way with Dina's character, um, you know, a very visual way with. I want to say sprites characters as well, just because of what her, her skillset or power set is, and to create these illusions into change look and all of that, you know, I thought, I thought they used both of those very effectively, um, in terms of, of how to psychologically deal with things. And it,
Trey: it, you know, speaking. In that realm, I'm thinking of the way the powers reflect the personality. Like for example, with Searcy, I mean, she has the ability to create, and it makes sense that she grew a fondness for humanity and was helping them along and, and showing and how in turn in the present day, that meant that she became a teacher like creating that foundation for them to continue learning such a great way to do that. But the other one that's sticking out to me right now. Is Druid, you know, he is not physically the strongest of the internals, but the ability that he had to, um, and rapture humanity's mind and bend them too as well. You know, it's so easy for that to be abused because that's a very, very powerful thing, but he ends up being the one, one of the ones that has empathy for them and wants to create that safety. Like he knows he can end it all the, all the strife, all the conflict, all the war. And he has to deal with the fact that he can't. And so I liked that the angle they took with him having empathy for humanity, when he has the ability to, to stop it at a moment.
Jude: I'm curious visually, what did you think about. The the Celestials.
Trey: That is what I meant when I said we are seeing a scale at which the MCU has never dealt with before. It's I don't know if this is going to be universal because I have a fear of rollercoasters, but it's what I imagine. It feels like to be at the top of a roller coaster and like, just that pin. I'm just waiting for it to drop every time I saw a celestial, that's what I felt like. Like I was at the top of a rollercoaster, just waiting.
Jude: Yeah. Like. Yeah. When, when the, when it was being born, I guess, out of the earth and coming out of the ground and like, and you have a sense of the scale, but once I see that hand and the head started coming out of the sea yeah. And you really get a sense of like, Wow. You know, it also visually they kind of stuck to what you had and what you saw in guardians. You know, not in terms of that one shot where, um, I'm gonna say grand master where the collector was, was telling his story. You know about the stones. Um, and, and I enjoy the continuity of that, but I don't think I expected the grand scale of them as much as they, they, they showed, well,
Trey: think about where the grant you've got me saying Korean master. Think about where the collector's located in nowhere. That was in the head of a celestial, right? Yeah. Like that scale is so consistent. And like you said, with the tailing, it's, it's phenomenal and. There's two scenes that stick out to me. It's I mean, they all do, but the ones that are coming to me right now, that's just like, am like burned in my memory whenever we're at the end of the movie. And Searcy is speaking with Dane and she is summoned by the, uh, the celestial to space. Like the idea of. You just look up and it's that head is engulfing the sky. It was like, whoa. And then, then you see him or you see them and their hand as they're controlling the Eternals that they have summoned, and then you just see puny earth next to their hand and it's it's breathtaking. And then the other one that comes to mind is after they, um, freeze, um, I forget the name. TMI
Jude: TMI
Trey: whenever they freeze to the mud and you just see half the heads sticking out of the ocean, that was such a, it reminds me of that shot. I love so much in star wars, the force awakens, where you just see a downed. Um, I can remember there was a ship that down. Yeah. The star destroyer in the sky in the sand. And it's just kind of like half buried. Like I like seeing decommissioned grand scale. Yeah. Entities. Like, it's just such a cool idea to have to reckon with. I'm hoping, hoping that that is not done away with, and that is a permanent lasting effect within the MCU of we'll just see somebody casually mentioned like, oh yeah, that giant space head in the ocean
Jude: and playing off of that. I, I kept wondering, where does this fit in the larger MCU? Like when you start seeing the scale of the celestial. The life cycle of a planet being the life cycle for new Celestials. And then it's like, okay, so where does king play within all this? Is this a different multi-verse LA you know, I mean, cause I guess king has to be seeing all this or the watcher has to be seeing all this that felt like an Avengers level threat that no of injure showed up to. Um, you know, and then it made me wonder is like, so. I could have Hulk wrestled a DVN, like, you know, and so, so I had those types of questions and I think that's some of the issues that comes up with. You know, the continuity when you have here, it didn't fully take me out of the movie, but it just, it, you know, I was like, oh, okay. So how does that going to play out when you know, that remains on earth? Um, and then the other thing is we talked about Thena we talked about that, that moment she had, but I really was expecting the deviant to live and kind of wish the deviant lived only because as a life form and you see that deviant, um, Evolving and now it talks, it has a conscience, um, you know, well conscious and conscience to different things and not going to dive into whether the deviant had one or the other or both. Um, anyways, we're not going to dive down that road. What the
Trey: idea for the, uh, the live
Jude: commentary, the idea though is, is, is. You know, I'd love to have seen that, uh, creature, the deviant live because it was evolving. Um, you know, and I felt like you could have given Thena a different way to have her her moment. Um, but you know, I'm not the writer director, so I only do a podcast.
Trey: I totally see what you mean though, because again, like I said, this movie is as interested in the action as it is, how these characters feel. It would have been more to the point of that. I guess, emo that this movie has to take. Something that started out as pure action, which is the deviant and let them also explore what it means to cause they, he openly admitted, right? We are both tools of our, of God that has pitted us against each other. Like I I'm with you. Then I would have liked to have seen a little bit more exploration of them as well. Well,
Jude: I kind of fall into a misdirect of who the villain is and the only way you have. Misdirect the way they wanted it was having this deviance, you know, and giving them something to fight until the real villain, so to speak arrives. Yeah.
Trey: Which I'm going to bounce off of that. Cause I had a one more thought, but I wanna, I want to bounce off of that and I can bridge the gap here, man. Icarus is a very hard character. To watch cause we talk about it so often that the best villains are the ones that you can sympathize with a little bit. And the fact that. Don't get me wrong, Icarus straight up murdered Ajax. So, you know, he's beyond redemption, I think, but you can see the, the tracks that have been laid for him in that this was his life's purpose. And he followed Ajax to that end of like, we're going to serve this. And whenever the people he counted on started going away from that one thing they believed in, which is to. Even though they know it, but even, even though they didn't know it, he still believed in their purpose. After finding out that the lifecycle of the celestial was at the expense of the humanity, that they were farming for it like that is so much for him to have to grapple with. And so you can almost feel bad for him while he still plays that villainous role. Yeah, at least I did. And I can transition to the thing I want to talk about. Like the entire beach sequence is the final beach sequence where they're all fighting against each other to destroy the celestial before it awakes. You know, it is the, I, I I'm circling, I'm trying to point out, uh, this feeling I have in these movies now. And I had talked about it with, uh, Tara in the shonky reaction where whenever he's con. I forgot we can't score that one yet, but there's a moment in these movies where you can see a victory lap. Yeah, I know I had to catch myself there. We're almost, we're almost to the free game for, you can catch a moment. There's a moment in these movies where, because they have taken the time to set things up. They get to have their victory lap. And for me, it is watching the fight amongst each other while Searcy gets to demonstrate her power to save the day while all these. I can't think of a better way to say it, but given the power scale of Icarus, the lesser internals are banding together and using their powers to overpower them. Like it's just such a great way for this movie to build to the swelling momentum. And so. I love the way Icarus had turned to this because he believes so much in bringing the celestial to life. And the way that Fastow's was denying him of that satisfaction was the way that he forced his creations to make him look at the ground, despite him trying to like look and see it, the work that he had been working for his entire life. Oh, my God. Like it was just so impactful to see that happen. And the other thing I liked about that beach sequence is even before we get there with Maccari, who thinks she has lost Druid is just pure rage and the form of speed and is Omer well overwhelming Icarus in an incredible way that I have not seen depicted. At least, at least this is my emotional reaction coming out of the theater. Like two hours ago, they did justice to a character who moves that fast in a way that I haven't seen in superhero movies before, which I thought was very exciting.
Jude: Yeah. A hundred percent. I mean, Hmm. What the TV show flash comes to mind, but budget wise, they can't really pull it off. You know, I mean, there's the flash in justice league, but that was all slow-mo. Well, I mean, and I'm not, I'm not trying to talk down about it. Like that's like, that was how the, to show speed in that it was slow-mo and like, like same thing with like days of future past, you had that, that speed. But then when they really wanted to show it off, they went through. Right. Like it was the super slow-mo, whereas this, it wasn't like, I don't remember. I just saw it last. They was just speed. It wasn't overwhelming speed. It wasn't like we're going to slow it down to try to emphasize how fast it is.
Trey: Yeah. It's a coup it was a cool depiction for few. Well, uh, that's it for me unless you got any more. I think we can just throw some stray thoughts in there.
Jude: You know what let's just, let's just go see it again. Okay.
Trey: All right, everybody just pause for let's wait, five hours. By the time we get to the theater, watch the movie. Did I lose
Jude: you? No, I'm paused. I'm going to, um,
Trey: oh man. Well, do, do you have any straight thoughts? Uh,
Jude: because they have a few, the only straight thought I had was, um, the in credit scenes w was a little bit of a disappointing. Honestly, really? Yeah. Cause it came in, I immediately recognized patent Oswald's thing and their voice. And then, um, and Harry styles came in and I was just kinda like, is this too much too quick in terms of, you know, Yeah, I just, in terms of like, you had the guardians and you have the internals and you're taking steps out as like, was this too much too quick? You know what I mean? And then, and then the last one, um, the last in credits was probably the best one of these two. I agree. But if, but if you don't know not the voice, but if you don't know who kit Harrington's character is and his complicated past. So you, you know what I
Trey: mean? There do it, they did very minimal work
Jude: towards it. And so in that sense, it's, it's, it didn't leave. And I don't think it's gonna leave a lot of audiences with, with this excitement, unless you go start looking things up. So
Trey: to comment off of that, these are my straight thoughts, but the bounce on what you just said, the first one with arrows and Harry styles, I feel about. The way I felt about ed Sheeran being a game of Thrones, nervous. He wasn't game of Thrones. Yeah. He's one of the, uh, the Lannister guards that aria, uh, has dinner with by the fire. Oh, I didn't realize that. Yeah. So it's either, it's either going to be. Just kind of a fun nod, but this seems like too big of a character to be a fun nod. I don't know. I don't know I'm being judgmental, but we'll see how it plays out. Yeah. The second one, I enjoyed a lot more. Um, just because like, I know some external knowledge about who his character is supposed to be and what's going on. But the feeling I have for overall is it felt like the general method for the post credit teens is normally you would get one of these and then a comedic one. Whereas we got two kind of straightforward ones. And so that felt like it was breaking the mold a little bit, but you know, I'm fine with it. It didn't, it didn't bother me too. Do we want to say, cause the D Chloe shall, has confirmed the voice. Do we want to mention to here on the podcast and talk
Jude: about it's so funny, the two that two people sit next to me, um, that there were, they were nice. And the one lady, I was just like, I was like, whose voice was that? She's immediately without hesitation. It's Nick fury as like, was it, she was like, oh yeah, that was Nick fury. It's like, Hm. And I stood up to stretch my legs and I was just like, and I was like, okay, that's, I'm going to credit the lady sitting in the theater next to me. And what are you asking me to say, it's Nick fury choice. And obviously she didn't know that I had a podcast and she's like, yeah. And she was like, yeah, go ahead. You just, you know, just say some random lady in the theater. So some random lady in the theater said it was Nick fury. So I guess it's Nick fury. I was
Trey: going to say your eldest. Uh, advertising for us very loud about MCU need to know. So maybe the person that's sitting next to you is listening and is now responsible for the confirmation of Nick fury in eternal. Yes. Oh. How about this, because I know there are people who don't want to know. Let's
Jude: it's not Nick fury. Well, I mean, if you're going to follow that up with, I go there's people who don't want to know, we just kind of confirmed that. It's not that one. Yeah.
Trey: So you can cross one name off your list so far, but we'll break. Well, maybe we'll talk about it later. Uh, my straight thought love the. The constant references to Superman regarding Icarus, which they just did not try to hide it all, which is very fun. Uh, second stray thought loved that they added a chunky to the Marvel studios credit, where they show all the different scenes from the movies in the logo, which is amazing. And I'm glad I caught that. Uh, and then finally, you know, when I said this during our low-key review, I didn't think the MCU was going to be able to rival it, but Searcy and Icarus might be in contention for worst breakup ever of all time after Loki's
Jude: Sylvie.
Trey: I really didn't expect them to top themselves in this year, but they did it. But, uh, yeah, those are my straight thoughts.
Jude: We're keeping track worst breakups. Oh,
Trey: Oh, fantastic. Well, I think that's going to do it, but of course, we want to hear what you thought. If you got a chance to see the internals, what did you think of it? Do you like it? She love it. She hate it. Whatever it may be. Let us know. You can always reach us at MC you need to know on Twitter and Instagram, or if you'd like to write us an email, you can do that@mcyouneedtoknowatgmail.com. You know what, and before I throw to you, Jude, uh, in your outro, I just want to say, uh, I know we've, we've talked about it here and there. Uh, we've mentioned it on the, uh, guest episode that we did with Tara regarding the MCU character draft. I'm going to be gone. I'm going to be taking a little bit of a vacation. So for the next two weeks quitting quitter. Oh my God. When people don't know what people don't know is, you know, how much, it's hard for me to say. And how supportive you are in the, in between conversations where you're like, no, you need to take break. It's good to recharge. And then to hear you go, quitter is so good.
Jude: Like you were trying to figure out a way to take your podcast set up with you. I'm like, dude, take a break. It's okay.
Trey: I know, I know I got it. I'm gonna, I'll be gone. I'm going to be on a vacation. I'm not going to be here. Uh, but I did want to take a chance to say, uh, I hope everybody does well. And I'll be back for Hawkeye and Jude for you in particular. I'm very excited to see what you do. And these next two weeks,
Jude: I can't wait to see what I figured out. Um, and if anybody wants to meet up with Trey, um, he's going to be on nowhere. Um, so just get
Trey: ahead
Jude: of us. Meet them there.
Trey: All right, we're going longer. Ready? Real quick. Guardians of the galaxy game. Amazing. Everybody's playing. It just came out and it's so good. Your turn.
Jude: Finish it up. My part of the outro, make sure you're in the show notes, you click on the discord. Wonderful community of people that love pop culture, MCU sharing, food, shares your workout routine. We have it all. If you're there for the Marvel content, which is probably the case, and she'll listen to the spot, make sure you click on the roll of sign, click on the emoji. So you have access to all the spoiler channels. Of course, the best things you can do with us best with us is to talk with us. But the best thing you can do for us is to share this podcast with a friend.
Trey: Yeah. We'd also like to thank Nick Sandy for the use of our theme song, which is his rendition of the Avengers theme. You can find more of his work on a SoundCloud, which is also linked in the show notes. Well, that's going to do it. Thank you so much for listening and Jude. Thank you so much for doing this. See
Jude: you in a couple of weeks straight. Thank you.
Trey: I see. On a couple of weeks ago, Uh, I thought we were going to do it after
Jude: the banter. No, I thought what I was saying is we just meet muda and do our names now. Okay. And after the banter you can say, Hey, we're doing, we did this thing where we muted or mix to see who can get the most named the most eternally. Listen to the end to hear our list. Okay. Like after the banter, you can say that, like, I don't, like, in other words, just cause you're editing. I don't know why we'd meet our mix now and do it now. I mean, I mean, we were like in the middle,
Trey: because the way that I was envisioning it was taking the time and the like in the episode where you hear me list the names and you list the names. But now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably better to just have it, the Intacct. Cause that'd be kind of awkward to hear one of us for like a minute. And then another one is for a minute and then coming back. So let's go, like you said, let's do it now. Um, so, uh, I'm muting now. All right. So I'm going to go ahead and list out all the names that I can remember. And it's going to start with Sarasi. Um, Sprite, Icarus. Kingo Thena man. I'm really booking now Gilgamesh Maccari. Who am I missing? 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. So. Okay. See, this is where peer pressure when there's no peer is starting to get to me. Cause I know I'm missing some. Oh, drew it and
Jude: I think that's it. Oh, I was supposed to be talking. I was typing them out. Oh, here we go. Dose sounded like they said fast. That might actually
Trey: be too fast. So I'm looking at my notes where I typed it up from remember and do decide whether or not that's cheating,
Jude: but I think I got them on this flash. I don't remember how many.
Trey: And you're going to tell Jude that I'm readiness and, uh, we'll go from there. So I'm telling him in the discord now.
Jude: Yeah, I'm dumb. Okay. Why, why didn't you say you're dumb because I started typing them out and then like I was getting towards the end and I realized, I was like, oh, I wasn't saying them, but then, but then I did say.
Trey: Okay. Okay. Well, I I'm turning this bait. I want to do this. I may have potentially cheated, but I explained how I thought I cheated for one. So how would you like I had, well, because I was like, oh, did I do it? I looked at my own written notes, but that was from memory. It was only for one. I got all the other ones. It was only one.
Jude: So let's see 1, 2, 3, 4.
Trey: I got five on my own.
Jude: Oh, what happened? Dang it. I forgot Druid.
Trey: That's so funny. That's the one, one of them I forgot before I remembered.
Jude: Yeah. So I got Searcy. I got,
Trey: huh? Actually. That's good. Go ahead and read your list and then I'll read mine. Yeah. I was just
Jude: going to tell you what I, what I got, uh, Ajax, Icarus, CRC Fausto's Faust. I, it was weird every time they pronounced it. Uh, but you know what? I'm talking about. A Sprite Gilgamesh theme. I don't remember one guy's name. So I just named him low tour. Um, it's not, I knew it wasn't so I just threw something down. Uh, and the other one, I couldn't remember. So I said, miss flash, uh, and then, and then as a bonus arrows,
Trey: Hey, spoilers for up to this point. Okay. So here's my list. Uh, Searcy Sprite, Icarus Kingo Thena Gilgamesh Maccari Druid. And the, the one I cheated on was Fastow's. Yeah. And I completely forgot
Jude: Ajax. Okay. Yeah. So completely, that's the only one I forgot completely. And I just didn't know. King goes next. Or Macquarie's name. So that was a low Tor miss flash.
Trey: What is low tar?
Jude: He's the villain prince and Vultron,
Trey: uh, okay. Uh, the I'm really bummed. So I don't know if you would consider it cheating, but I, I scrolled in my notes because I thought I had them all and I realized I didn't. And then I thought, well, that's kind of cheating, but also the notes are written from memory. I'm going to dock me a point on that one, for sure. Yeah,
Jude: you should. Yeah.
Trey: Anyway, as my normal, I think Don Cheadle is going to be in Falcon and the winter soldier.
Jude: Honestly, for some reason, honestly had no idea at the time, but okay.
Trey: I'm sorry. I cut you off from my check. What were you saying?
Jude: Um, oh, that I had my MDB up and I, and I didn't even look at
Trey: it. Yeah. You're much more disciplined than I am. All right. Well, this was a fun experiment now. Let's do our review.
Jude: All
Trey: right. You ready? Yup.