What does a Biden Administration mean for Japan's economy? Will the US keep the pressure on China? Will the US get back on board the SS TPP? Nikkei Asia's Katsuhiko Hara talks all this plus, more importantly, how it will effect Bobby's investment portfolio.
Ollie recommends a River Cruise that lets you ride with people who share your tastes in music, and distaste for each other.
Bobby gives Aso Taro enough rope to hang us all.
Topics discussed on this episode range from:
- A New Way to Take advantage of Cram Schools
- The Kimetsu Money Machine, and what it's actually doing to help Japan's economy, on macro and micro levels
- How Kimetsu might be changing the Japanese cultural perceptions of Oni
- Rumors about the origin of Kimetsu and its ties to Fukuoka
- An explanation of the trucks that loudly broadcast imperial Japanese right wing propaganda, and why being asked about it brought out the worst in Ollie
- The current US-Japan Trade Dynamic
- The rise and decline of Japan's economy, and how China has usurped the Japan's position as an economic threat to other nations
- How Ollie knows a surprising amount about the relationship between location of production and GDP
- How Trump affected Japan and what he said versus what he did/didn't do
- Why what Trump thought about Japan mattered
- What Japan WANTED in terms of trade agreements pre Trump, and how they expected to create a framework and rules that they could use to try to make China follow some rules
- How China used anti-dumping investigations to wage economic attacks, and how that might have been a retaliation for Covid-scapegoating
- Japan's concerns about keeping intellectual property/proprietary technologies
- WHY JBRC DOESN'T HAVE A TIKTOK ACCOUNT
- What Japan could have done to get a more favorable deal from Trump
- How Japan was basically treading water with hollow, publicity-driven bilateral trade deals with the US and what they were hoping for
- What will Biden do to get things back on track, and why will it be hard for him to undo what Trump did
- Why it's easier for Biden to return to the Paris Agreement, but not TPP
Topics discussed on the extras include:
- Bobby's financial investments, and how they make him feel morally conflicted
- Ollie's somehow WORSE financial investments, and how the companies he supports kill people in fires
- Why Katsuhiko isn't so knowledgable about stock trading, and why he is obliged to avoid getting too involved with trading
- Where you should put your money
- The sustained upward Japanese market trends
- Why the market responded favorably to a Biden win. Is the market a closet democrat?
- What it was like for Katsuhiko to move to Michigan at 10
- What it was like for him to move back for college
- What Michigan thought of Japan in the mid-80s
- English and Japanese pronunciation code-switching
- Ollie misremembering Jesse Johnson's assessment of the likelihood of conflict in Asia
- Katsuhiko's assessment of the likelihood of conflict in Asia, why he things that larger countries/economies make sure that they don't fight each other directly
- What Biden means for the future of security in our region
- Human-rights issues and the democrats who love them
- Why Trump was better for Japan in terms of North Korea and China
It's $5/month, and we rely on our listeners like to support the show, so those who can't afford it can continue to enjoy it for free each week. Thank you for your support!
Have something you'd like to say? Send us a fax at japanbyrivercruise.com
or Tweet to us at @jbrcpod
What is Japan By River Cruise?
Stand-up comedians Bobby Judo and Ollie Horn purport to report on the Japanese river cruise industry each week.