Speaker Rik Morgan: Let's do it. Been one short bus all day. Short. Yes. Gonna see what kind of movie they got today. Well, hello, everybody. Welcome back to another fun filled adventure as the wheels go round and round on the short bus. And I am one of your co hosts, Mister Rock and roll over Rick Morgan. And I'm here with my brother, mister God of thunder. What's up? Johnny Krug, the cat man. No, not much, dude. Easy, cat man. They are serious. Yeah, not much. Head along for the ride. Special guest, Mister Rock and roll all night, party every day. Mister Joseph Henson. What's up, brother? Oh, not a whole lot.
Speaker Joseph Henson: This, uh, this movie made me feel so unholy.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Oh. So, yeah, this is, uh, this is one that I wanted to do because it's one of those love hate movies. I know this movie is terrible, but it's one of those events that happens when you're a kid. And even though you hold your head in shame, I still kind of love this movie because it is terrible. Man. And we are talking about kiss meets the phantom, or if you're an old og, kiss meets the phantom of the park.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: You know, this, this movie, I had never seen it before, watching it this time, but it felt like, and you, you guys know a lot of the details in the background on this, but it felt like they were trying, you know, all the parents thought Kiss was this evil rock band, and it felt like they put together this movie to say, look, these guys are completely family friendly.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Well, and like I said, there's a lot to talk about in this movie. But first and foremost, here's, here's kind of what happened. Yeah, you kind of had this bad karma thing going on with, you know, parents saying there are knights in Satan service going around, but the other side of it is about, I don't know, a year before, they had released, Marvel had released the Kiss comics, where Kiss had superhero powers. Like hearing from their eye. Well, yeah, I mean, they fought Doctor doom. I mean, they were legit, you know, superheroes in the Marvel universe. Oh, geez. Yeah, I mean, and Johnny, I mean, to find one of those original comics is, like, unreal, what it's worth, because it was printed in kiss blood. They actually drew some blood and put it supposedly in the, the red ink. So when you bought a copy, you had some of their blood mixed in the red ink order. I mean, there was a big promotion thing. You can't even find those comics. They've reissued them, and there was two of them, and they combined them together. But that was such a big hit. I guess that's what really started the idea of this movie. But we, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We've got to get into this in a little bit. But let's talk about some other stuff. So special guest, Joseph, man, tell us. Tell us what's going on in your world, man.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Oh, not, you know, not a whole lot outside of the hysteria continues. I'm pretty much doing that full time. We just released, I think it was terror night. I mean, these episodes kind of bleed together, but it was terror night from 1987. We got ten to midnight coming out in a week or so. Nice. Yeah, we got a few commentaries in the bag for 88 films, vinegar syndrome and Arrow. Other than that, I mean, that's pretty much all I do now. So. Man. So there you go, folks. Short bus. Then hit the high time. We got a celebrity on the show. Yo, I wouldn't go that far. He's been
Speaker Rik Morgan: a good buddy for quite a while and we have always enjoyed having him on. And, man, it's awesome that things are doing so well for you and the guys. Yeah, it's been ten years. I mean, we just had our 10th year anniversary as well. Wow. At the end of January.
Speaker Joseph Henson: So it took ten years, but yeah, it's, it's crazy.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Wow. Well, what we're going to do right now, we're going to take a short break and. Short break. I wish I could do a good brack. It'd be all right. We're gonna take a short break. We'll be right back with kiss meets the phantom.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Yo,
Speaker Rik Morgan: get out of the way. All I know is today it's October 3131 backwards is 13. It's Friday. It's Halloween 13th, anniversary of the lawnmower killings as a crazy loose. It's prom night. Hi, this is Tracy Savage, Debbie from Friday the 13th part three for the best podcast ever on old slasher movies. Be sure you find hysteria continues. You will be glad you did. And hey, stay out of Crystal Lake, okay? Every episode we celebrate a classic slasher movie such as Friday the 13th, Halloween, my Bloody Valentine, happy Birthday to me, and crazy for Ethel two. Please don't hurt me, Ethel. The history continues, bringing slash with Panache since 2011. Listen on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher and all good podcatchers. And now for our feature presentation.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: All right. And we're back with Kiss meets the Phantom of the park from 1978. When you think 1978, you don't think movies like Halloween. You think movies like Kiss meets the Phantom of the park. Yo, the IMDb for this is a 4.8, which, man, that is in.
Speaker Joseph Henson: When you compare that, it's like 4.7 too high.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Dude, I was just gonna say, when you put this up to next to things we've done on short bus in the past, like, I feel like this is, this isn't as good as some stuff we've done and some in some of those movies have gotten way lower scores. But this movie, it is directed by Gordon Hessler, who did scream and scream again with Vincent Price and Cry of the Banshee also. Yeah, it's, it's crazy because there, that's something I'll talk about later in this movie. But the villain in this man could have been so much more if they had gotten somebody like Vincent Price. But this movie's also. It's written by two different guys. Bye, Don Bru. We'll see Don Bidet, which. Okay. And Jan Michael Sherman almost said Jan Michael Vincent. And they're known for movies like Slithis and Too Hot to handle, which was, from what I read, too hot to handle is some kind of, like, sexy adventurer movie. Sure. Yeah. The cast of this movie is kissed and the rock band and Anthony Zerbe. Is that how you say that? Yeah. Played Edwardevereau. Yeah. Yep. And then Carmine carried II. I didn't really know anybody in this movie, but when I looked him up, I'd seen them in every. I mean, well,
Speaker Joseph Henson: you didn't recognize Brian James as the, one of the security guards, was that. Yeah. Was he really in this? Yeah. You didn't know.
Speaker Rik Morgan: He's like, he said it was him or his twin. Oh, dude. Yeah. That's so crazy. I'm looking at, yeah, right there. Brian James,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: he usually stands out, too, because he kind of looks like a thumb that got, you know, involved in a machinery accident in his face. Well, the guy
Speaker Rik Morgan: that plays Devereux has been in a ton of stuff. And your two teenage supposed actors were both in soap operas at this time, so they were kind of a hot commodity and everybody knew who they were, so that was kind of the draw. There's the ones that could actually act.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Well, yeah, the main actress in this, she had, like, she had some good chops when it came to screaming and stuff like that. But it's funny when you look a lot of these people up like her. I mean, they have soap opera stuff, but, like, in the first two or three credits, it shows this. So you're like, ooh, sorry. Sorry about that. But, dude,
Speaker Rik Morgan: I mean, again, I mean, and I'm defending it because, I guess because of the time. But this thing was so huge when it came out. And, yeah, it is not good. And like I said, the kiss had a thing where if you worked for them, you couldn't bring it up. You were not allowed to talk about the movie. They did not like the idea at all. But when this thing came out, like I said, I mean, I skipped Halloween parties and everything to stay home and watch this. And it was the most watched television event in almost a decade. So this thing, it screened on Halloween. Or it screamed, like, a couple of days before. But, I mean, it was. It was an event. I mean, there was magazines and stuff out, you know, put out before. And just like you do any of your Star wars and stuff, you know, you get your, you know, magazines to come out beforehand, explaining stuff and all that. It was a big deal. Speaking of Star wars, this is. This is basically the equivalent of the Christmas special. It's pretty close. So for you folks that have never seen this, I'll give you a little backstory. Kiss being the hot commodity that they were, they were approached. Johnny didn't say who produced this movie. He talked about who directed it, but it was produced by Joseph Barbera. That's right. Hanna Barbera did this movie. Oh. And it just. It just. It just definitely comes across as something Hanna Barbera would do. Oh, yeah. Yeah. So when they have. When the idea was so to kiss and their managers, they told him, it's gonna be like a hard day's night, which is the, you know, incredible Beatles movie that came out. It was such a phenomenon for the. Especially for Kiss, because they were such Beatles fans. So they took that idea and said, it's gonna be a combination of that and Star wars, and. And somewhere it got lost. But, yeah, I mean, there's. There's tons and tons of stories of the failure of this movie, but I think Johnny and I were talking back and forth, you know, while just talking about this movie. And once you realize that this is a Hanna Barbera movie, all your background music, all your sound effects, everything is straight out of, like, Scooby Doo cartoons. Yeah. And you're. Your. Your Hanna Barbera childhood
Speaker Joseph Henson: is ruined when you learn that, dude. Well, you know, it's funny, and we'll get into the plot
Speaker Johnny Krueg: and stuff, but, I mean, it plays out like Scooby Doo, man. Yeah, it does. Like, straight up. I mean, that's. That's who it was made by. The only thing it was missing was the Harlem Globetrotters.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Oh, that would have been great. But the way after they agreed to do this. Hannah Burma or whoever was in charge at the time, they sent a writer to go around with each member of Kiss and just follow them around and capture their personalities so they could write skips based off of the way they reacted and talked. And Pete straight up told them, f y'all, I ain't doing it. Cause, you know, I gotta go out back and do some heroin. But Ace could care less, and he knew he was being followed, so he just went around going, ah, ah. All the time. I kept expecting
Speaker Joseph Henson: Ace. I kept expecting Ace freely to go, my grand slam was supposed to be with sausage.
Speaker Rik Morgan: But if you notice in the movie, he never really has. He has, like two or three lines, but the rest time he just goes.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: I thought that was an interesting choice of the writers just have a squawk, like some kind of, like, dull pelican.
Speaker Joseph Henson: That's, let's put it this Gene Simmons is the best actor of the four. Easily. Yeah, yeah, well,
Speaker Rik Morgan: and that's why he went on and had a somewhat career. Right. But yeah, that's. That's why Sony goes in the whole movie, which is one of the funny qualities about it, right? Because they'll talk about something serious. He'll just go, yeah, well, yeah, we'll. Get to that later. But, yeah, they're, like, interrogating him later, and he just squawks. I feel like the director probably
Speaker Joseph Henson: went home after shooting every night and looked his wife in the eye and was like, honey, I'm sorry. Just kill me now.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah, I mean, and like I said, pete, even when it came time to finish the movie, he wouldn't even show up to do overdubs or anything. So that's not Pete's voice in the whole movie. Oh, wow. Pete sounds like he's got Demi Moore stuck in his throat. I mean, he's got a super raspy voice, very heavy accent, and, yeah, you know, that kind of messed with everybody's head because, you know, he was talking normal. And they're like, wait a minute. That don't sound anything like Pete. And there's just. It just goes on and on. The stunt double for ace really was a black guy. And they didn't, they didn't cover his hands, they didn't cover his neck. I mean, you can tell. It's just like, wait a minute. It's kind of weird. It's kind of a weird parallel there,
Speaker Joseph Henson: because I had mentioned off air how I thought, you know, I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks this, but I always thought Gene Simmons looked like Bill Duke. Like the white version of Bill Duke. And then what's interesting, you bring that up, because Bill Duke and Commando, he had a white stunt double for his fight with Arnold Schwarzenegger. So there's. There's some synchronicity for you. Well, you want to hear something even funnier
Speaker Johnny Krueg: is when you message Bill Duke. Some. Somehow my brain got that scrambled as David Duke. Oh, God. Like, isn't David Duke white? Joseph, it's amazing you say
Speaker Rik Morgan: that, because I remember me and my wife going to see Preter, which she was my girlfriend back then, but I saw this guy, and I was like. I said, becky, I said, that guy looks like a black gene simmons.
Speaker Joseph Henson: He does. I mean, he even talks like him. They have, like, the same voice, same mannerisms. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Very much so. But, yeah, so, yeah, I mean, and the guy that actually is the stunt dough for it, for Gene is like some really old guy. So when you see him with the wig and stuff on, it's like. It's almost like Benny Hill stepping in for Gene in the movie. I mean, it's really, really obvious it's not Gene. Oh, dude, there's a scene where it's like a wire. Like a wire
Speaker Johnny Krueg: trick, and you could just tell it's an old dude.
Speaker Rik Morgan: That's it. That's what I'm talking about. So, anyways, let's get on with this. Yeah, we're at an amusement park, which is actually magic, mountainous, which was supposedly the biggest, you know, amusement park of its kind at the time. And there's gonna be a big kiss concert there. Matter of fact, three of them in a row, because, you know, you sound at an amusement park. I like the intercoms, like, kiss tonight,
Speaker Joseph Henson: kiss tonight. Kiss. It's like, okay, who's playing tonight? I mean,
Speaker Rik Morgan: it doesn't matter that you get, you know, statues of them everywhere, you know, as well, saying, you know, they're gonna be there tonight. But. But, you know, I get it. I've got a buddy here that is the. At one time, he was the world champion banjo player. Lives just down the road from me. And he used to have it have a spot in Opryland, you know, which is the. The Tennessee amusement park. And he kind of had his own spot there, so I can see where, you know. Okay. You just get booked to do these gigs, and you just do them because your management just got you this spot. So kissing a lull, for some reason, got to play at Magic Mountain. You never told me you were friends with Kermit. The frog. Oh, yeah. Man, why are there so many? How do we get out here? Yeah, it's back the way you came. And we get to, you know, your typical. I mean, you got kiss fans coming to your amusement park. So you're gonna get some rough and tumble people, right? I mean, that's what they're trying to portray here. If you're a kiss fan, you're a devil worshipper, right? I mean, that's kind of what we're saying. So we meet Snead. You never get his real name. Just Snead, which is like the main security guard in the amusement park. And the guy just calls him all the time. Ain't that right, snead? Let's go get him, snead. Hey, snead. It's like, what the heck? Stop saying my name, please. He's like, we gotta be careful. Cause we got a riot on our hands. And hear him like, dude, it's some kids building a pyramid. I mean, yeah, you gonna bust these eight years olds?
Speaker Johnny Krueg: That was so weird. Like, I mean, the whole thing with, like, the. The bikers messing with the kids, building the pyramid. We'll have none of that in our park. I'm like, you don't have a whole lot of anything in this park. It's like the. The three
Speaker Joseph Henson: bikers, they're like. Their. Their claim to trouble making is like they. They get up in people's face and they. They can only be bought off with, like, tickets to a haunted amusement attraction. I like. You never. I like the scene where they harass the $30,000 monkey experiment. And I. Yeah, what the hell has. That guy been doing with $30,000 for the last year?
Speaker Rik Morgan: Building this robot monkey? I mean, it's almost like showbiz pizza there for a minute, right? I always wanted. I wanted to get a good shot of that dude's jacket on the. On the back of his jacket. The leader of the group, because it says Satan's something. But I never could see what it says at the bottom. I always wondered what that is because you never get a good shot of it. By the way, the leader of that gang, Johnny, was in Jekyll and Hyde together again. He's the guy that gives up his testicle. Nice. I thought he looked familiar. He's been in several late seventies, early eighties stuff. We meet Sam and Melissa, which is, like we said earlier, possibly the only decent actors in the whole thing. Well, Sam, how far can you go? He just plays a robot the whole time. But I love that they're getting off a roller coaster together. And Melissa goes, do you have to go to work now? And he goes, there's something I don't understand. It's like, are y'all having the same conversation? But Sam's feeling that there's something odd going on, so he goes snooping around in Devereaux workshop. Now, Devereux, he's the phantom of the park, and, uh, so we can soup. Up amusement park rides.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Well, I like when he's. I like when he's, um, the. The guy who runs the park. He, like, he basically lets Devereaux, you know, go. And I'm sitting there thinking, you know, it's so sad to watch Abner walk away. I wonder if Oliver Stone, you know, got the idea for Nixon's walk of shame from this film.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Was that. That was after he souped up, like, the. What was that ride? Like, the crazy dance or something? Yeah, yeah. The big octopus looking thing. It spins
Speaker Rik Morgan: around, and he, he hooks up that, like, special generator to it or something, and it makes it go, like, four times the speed. Well,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: and I. And I love all the ADR that's coming off of it. People like, oh, my God, we're gonna die. They just sped the field up,
Speaker Rik Morgan: right? Yeah. Oh, I love the whole Devereux thing because he's like, hey, who took. Who took down the walrus display and put up this hideous thing of this rock band? He was like, the walrus display? That's what you're worried about?
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Well, I mean, you think about it, and you think about, like, that monkey costing $30,000 and you're like, man, they just must have disposable income. They had their hand in this dude. Well, this is. And that's. I think that's the breaking
Speaker Rik Morgan: point, because he's saying he don't have enough. I'm like, dude, look at the stuff you've done. You built all these rides. You're building your, your monkey and stuff, and you're still not got enough money, you know, and the. The guys running the parks, giving him a hard time because, hey, man, you know, you're. You're not doing any pm on these illness equipment. You're just letting it break down. Well, doesn't he,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: like, in the beginning of the movie, doesn't he see the kiss banner flying overhead? He's like, how much did that cost? Like, he's angry. The dude bought a banner. Oh, yeah. That didn't cost $30,000, right? So, yeah,
Speaker Rik Morgan: while this is going on, you got Sam, which is our young guy. This is snooping around in Devereux shop, and you got these cool 1970s space doors that just kind of, and they raise, like, star trek type doors, and he goes into one, and you don't know what happens to him. It closes, and it's like you hear him scream, and that's it. Which doesn't make a lick of sense, because Devereux not in there. So, yeah, I don't know what happens there. I don't guess it really matters. Devereux, with the kindness of his heart, because they're up there humping on his monkey, gives the biker group some free tickets to go to the chamber of thrills. And this chamber of thrills, man, here's the thing. All these robotics that are in the movie are just mimes. They're just people that are trying to act like robots, you know? So that, that's your budget in this, this movie. You don't have, like, any real robots. It's just dudes walking like shields in yarn. Ale. Yeah, they needed,
Speaker Joseph Henson: they needed a little bit of Yule Brenner to kind of sprite spice things up a little bit. Yeah. The ones, the ones in the scary, like,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: the spook house, they're a little bit more convincing than the ones later. Well, they got the COVID of darkness to help them out a little bit there. Dude, it is so dark, too. I mean, and that's,
Speaker Rik Morgan: that's something that, on that, the other version that I sent. So I messed up when we were prepping for this show, and I sent them the australian version of this movie, and it's called, it's called the attack of the phantoms.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: And it's nothing but wallabies. And.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Like how you're mentioning Rick, how it's Devereux. He gives the, the punks the tickets to the, the, the haunted attraction, and he's like, and one of the guys is like, maybe we will, maybe we won't. Why can't you get with the 20th century? What? Well, I mean,
Speaker Rik Morgan: Hanna Barbera, that's the way they think that a motorcycle gang would react. So there you go. Well, 1978, they might have. What does the girl say every time? She's like, she's like,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: this won't happen unless we mean for it to happen.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Oh. So at this point, we haven't really gotten to where they get to the, to the thrill, the chamber of thrills just yet, because Melissa's going around looking for Sam because now he's missing. Dude's been gone for, like, 15 minutes, and now he's already on the missing persons list in a, in a park that he works in. So even as a kid, I would go, well, if he works here, how do you know he's missing?
Speaker Joseph Henson: Yeah, it's like they called in the cavalry, like 15 minutes after he's gone. Like, Amy Lynn Bradley didn't even get that much time. They took her, like, two, two or three days thereport her missing. This guy. This guy's probably on his lunch break. They reported Missy. It's. This is,
Speaker Rik Morgan: this is where you get to start seeing people acting like robots, because she shows up at Devereaux's workshop. He's in there, and he walks around and starts showing her some of the androids that are just, you know, dudes dressed up in these outfits. And that's where you get the barbershop quartet singing. And when they walk past the table, it's obviously a dude's head sticking up through the table. That's part of the quartet. And they sing a little piece of a song, then they go back to it, and I don't know if you could pick a more fake looking head than the one that he picks up that's supposed to be the same head. I mean, it looks absolutely terrible. And I'm like, you're supposed to buy that. That's the same head. I mean, it don't even. It's not even the same shape, but they're trying to give you that illusion of, you know, they're not real. They're all robotic. And. Yeah, sure they are.
Speaker Joseph Henson: It's like, did no one have, like, any kind of, like, safety procedures for any of this? I mean, they just let this guy run hog wild, like, creating these killer robots in there, and no one's, like, bats an eye at it until he's, like, let go or whatever.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah, and that's the thing. You don't know if the guy. That's the financial, you know, guy of the, of the park, the one that fires him, if he knows that he's been doing other stuff or if he just realizes he has been doing what he's supposed to be doing and that's why he has to let him go. But, oh, yeah. I'm, uh, at this point, that's where chopper and his bunch go to the house of thrills. How about when they first get in there and there's the family in there with the kids, got the balloon. He's smoking. Chopper pops the balloon. The guy's like, hey, you can't smoke in here. The chopper goes, I'll smoke you. I think what.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: This movie just got really hardcore.
Speaker Rik Morgan: I didn't know where that was going. You might want to get the kids out of there real fast. Yeah. He's a two pack a day, or you better
Speaker Joseph Henson: run, kid.
Speaker Rik Morgan: But anyways, what happens is, you know, you got the mummy, you got Dracula, Frankenstein. All these characters down here. And, you know, big. Typical what you would think of like a house of wax kind of thing or whatever. And they all get captured and pulled through a air duct somehow. It's like one of those bank suction
Speaker Johnny Krueg: things. They send your money to the teller.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Exactly. Well, think of in Star wars. Hint, hint. You know, those. Those. That tube would come down from the jawa's, you know, trailer or whatever that thing was they riding in. It would suck. Suck the characters back up into it. It's kind of what happens here. Except we get to see them float through the tubes going. Well. And then it's cool too, because, like, part of it is them, like,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: coming toward the camera. And the other, other half is them going backwards through the tube. Yeah.
Speaker Rik Morgan: And then it. It cuts away to Deverell getting fired outside the kiss stage. Where they're doing a sound check. Even. Even though they don't have the speaker set up yet. You're hearing guys testing the speakers. Oh, and this is. I love it. Because the guy goes, I gotta let you go. And Devereaux gets up and he says, you will regret this day. And he starts walking away. But it's one of those walking aways where you think, what if I walk slow enough? Maybe he'll call me back. Maybe he'll call me back. Maybe. I mean, dude is just barely creeping off. And it's like the longest scene of him walking off.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Yeah, it's like the. It's like the scene in Nixon where. Where Nixon is impeached. And it's like this long, like, walk to the plane or into the limousine. This goes on forever. All I needed was, like, some sad music playing over. They should have got, like, kissed, like, record some sort of sad music. Like, they could have scored the film as well. Other than their songs.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: They play as they play a sad song later.
Speaker Rik Morgan: But at this point, it's showtime. It's concert time. And this is where I don't know if the warm up bands playing or whatever. But the crowds all going crazy, getting amped up. And it shows Devereaux sitting at his desk. Which I have to admit, it's a pretty cool desk. Mandev. All those blinking lights. And the three little tv screens up top where you can see everything. But, dude, has done snapped. I mean, he basically turns off the tv and says, I will destroy you. I'll destroy all of you. And you're like, now you're gonna kill everybody that goes to the park. I mean, why? I have a question.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: So he's let go. But before he's let go, you hear earlier that it's pretty much, you know, common knowledge where his laboratory and everything is. And he just, like, goes back there, and nobody goes and checks, nobody escorts him out of the park or, you know, removes his, like, access to that.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Secret facility, or, yeah, nothing is revoked. No one puts chains on the doors, or no one sets a security guard out there to say, hey, this guy might come back. He's been acting a little fruit loopy, so just keep an eye out. No, it's this business as usual once he's gone. Yeah, yeah. I mean, so, yeah, he's just.
Speaker Rik Morgan: He's got his own place. I guess. Maybe that was of his stipulations when they started building, was, I need my own place and no people allowed, so who knows? But, yeah. So he decides that he's gonna destroy the park and all the people in the park and kiss, because I guess he hates kiss, but he's gonna use kiss as his instrument to destroy the people and destroy the park, which makes total sense, right? Oh, speaking of kiss, the show starts, and kiss comes flying in on the stage from outer space. I still don't understand that one. We're not making this up, by the way. No, I mean, ace just comes out of nowhere and shoots some lasers out of his fingers. And Peter criss appears in space, and Paul Stanley shoots a laser out of his eye and walks down the laser onto the stage. It sounds much cooler than it is. And gene breathes cartoon fire all the. Time, so aunt growls like a lion. And growls like a lionhouse. And not just a lion, a Hanna Barbera lion. I mean, yeah, it is stock sound effects in this one, folks. They could have done,
Speaker Joseph Henson: like, a who, who framed Roger Rabbit type thing and got all the Hanna Barbera cartoon characters in there. Like, you could have Gene Simmons, like, on stage breathing fire and huckleberry hounds. Like, watch out. That would have been so awesome. Snaggle bliss, exit stage left.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Ethan. You know, all these sound like better ideas than what we get. So, yeah, the show starts, they get on stage, they sing shouted out loud. And I have to admit, as a kid, the stage performances were really the best stage performance things we ever got to see. Because, you know, you didn't have MTV. You didn't see them on tv ever. As far as live performance. If you did, it was like midnight special or something, something you were not allowed to stay up and watch because it was past your bedtime. So this is the first time that most kids got to see kiss on stage of any kind. So that part was kind of a big deal. It's just when they get off the stage, it's when the problem starts. Let me. Let me ask you
Speaker Johnny Krueg: a question, Mandy. I don't know a lot about kiss. You know, I know a lot about music and stuff, but surprisingly, I don't know a lot about kiss. Did you. Did Gene Simmons always walk like he had something up his butt?
Speaker Rik Morgan: Oh, yeah, yeah. I mean, that was part of the. He slithers around, like, you know, think of the dragon in Dragon Slayer, when it had its legs bent and it was like, walking down that corridor. That's kind of his thing. It was that. You're exactly right. That's. That's what it's like. Like that posturing. Yeah. Okay. In the.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: I didn't know if that was, like, something for the movie or if that's something he, like, he did in general. No, that's when they're on stage performing.
Speaker Rik Morgan: That's kind of how they are. It's just, you know, trying to make that passable is. No, no. The super, he's. He walks like, he's wearing extremely
Speaker Joseph Henson: tight spandex pants, and he's already bow legged, so it's like he's crunched up there. That's probably
Speaker Rik Morgan: very true. And he's a very tall dude, too. So you take that and then let him hunker down. Of course, they all had trouble with the boots, right? I mean, Ace was infamous for falling on stage all the time, and the dude couldn't walk in normal shoes. You put him in those things, and they said they'd look around, he'd be on the ground all the time, you know, laughing at himself. Oh, let's see. Where are we at? Kiss performance on stage. And then it cuts back to Devereaux again. And this is where you find out that chopper and his gang are now androids that he uses in the show. Dresses them up like, I don't know, from early american history kind of looking, you know, stuff. 1776 looking stuff. And so now you're kind of putting the pieces together of, wow, he's not making robots. Well, not literally making robots. He's turning people into robots. Dump. Dump. Dom. And then kiss. Yeah. Colonial robots. At the colonial robots. There you go. That's the word I was looking for. Yeah, I think that.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: I think that band used to open for kiss robots. Yeah. It's actually not a bad thing.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah. Bad at all. Oh, and this is where the mighty starts falling. Falling. This is where sam starts taking pictures of him when they're coming off the back of the stage to get every angle as possible of their faces. For Devereux, even though he only takes one shot and they just show it twice, get every angle. He just takes one picture and then zooms in a little closer on the same picture.
Speaker Joseph Henson: It's like you'd have Gene Simmons, like, the front of his face. But then when you make the Android, like, for the side of his face, he just have to, like, do a lot of guesswork. Yeah, right. Well, that's funny,
Speaker Rik Morgan: because later on, when he's building them, he's got all these other photos. You're like, okay, where'd you get those at? Because those are definitely not pictures that sam took. But what happens is Melissa sees Sam back there because he's been missing for 45 minutes, and she's trying to. She's trying to get his attention and sneed the a hole that he will, and he is. He won't let her by. And that's when Gene goes star child, but he's got the sound effect on his voice that is worse than Doctor Doom and the corpsman version. And Paul shoots a laser out of his eye, and it makes everybody freeze except the girl. And she walks up closer and. Yeah. We start getting conversation that we didn't need.
Speaker Joseph Henson: I'm not the, um. I'm not the biggest. Like, I don't know a whole lot about ki. I mean, I know some, but which one has the star over his face? That's Pauldin. Yeah. Yeah. Did you notice? I mean, probably getting ahead of here a little bit, but there's. There. I remember one scene where he's got. He's got, like, the star cam vision and, like. Yeah, everything's in, like, this sepia color except for the edge of the star. It's in black and white. Yeah. So I just wonder about that. Well,
Speaker Rik Morgan: he can use it for multiple things, right? It can be a laser that's destructive, like a Star wars blaster, or he can use it to, you know, do the, you know, because they're. There's the same. They're talking all the way across the swimming pool, and he's able to just listen within that. That star, I guess, and hear what they're saying. I don't know. Yeah, that.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: That's like, that's a scene that he's talking about because I'm, I kept thinking I'm like he's hearing with his eye. Like, yeah, man. It's like he can do all this stuff with his eyes. But if
Speaker Joseph Henson: you look, if you look at the camera view, it's obvious he's colorblind. Poor guy. Actually,
Speaker Rik Morgan: he's, he's only got one ear in real life. Seriously. He only really only has one ear? Yeah. Paul Stanley only has one a year. Yeah. That's always been, you know, it's something he never talked a whole lot about, but, yeah, he's, he's only had one ear his whole life. Just born without it.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: But that's, that's crazy too, for like, a musician. Like, you don't, you never hear people, you know, stuff like that? Yeah.
Speaker Rik Morgan: He's never heard stereo, you know, never had that ability. But he said this. But he said, if you think about it, for like, monitors, he kind of, he had an advantage because you look at most singers, they oppose. They used to hold one ear, right, so they could hear themselves. He said he could hear himself all the time, so. Well, this probably explains why he's in this movie because the
Speaker Joseph Henson: person that asked him probably asked him in his bad ear.
Speaker Rik Morgan: I'm sure it came down to dollar signs. That's the only explanation for this movie because everybody was, was trying to make money off of this band at the time because, again, they were the biggest thing on the planet. And. Yeah, that's, that's all this turned into. And anyways, we'll get back to the movie. They know that Melissa's looking for Sam. And I love the fact that he says, don't worry about it, Melissa. Sam's still in the park. Well, hell, yeah, he is. He just walked by a minute ago. Thanks for being captain obvious there, Paul. I like,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: I like, I like when they talk to her because they're very, like, prophetic. They're very like, calm and just. Yeah, he's still in the park.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Well, and that's, trying to keep that mystique going. So let's, let's break down kiss for you, the, the real personalities. You got Gene, who is Gene Simmons? I mean, there's not a big difference between Gene without makeup, as with makeup, he's bombastic, a stage hog. He loves what he does. Paul was the one, it was always about the music, but he was always, to me, Paul was always the one in charge. When it come down to it, he kind of kept the band going. So he was the real musician of the bunch, Ace Washington. He was living the rock and roll lifestyle. I mean, the best example is, you know, like Keith Richards, Slash. This is what Ace was. He was the rock and roll guy that hated all this goofy superhero crap. He just wanted to play a Les Paul and rock out. That's. That's Ace. And then Pete thought he was the star of the band. The drummer always thought he was the star and pretty much resented everybody else in the band because of it.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Dude, don't let him paint your face like a kitty cat and expect to be the star, man.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Well, and that's all the Persona thing, right? I mean, they. That's. You know, Paul's always said, he said, you can't claim somebody to be a genius when they fall into a stream of gold. He said, it's just one of those things that just happened because they were tired of fans growing up and paying money to go see, you know, Led Zeppelin. All these bands that would get on stage and be totally wasted and not get your money's worth. And they were a reaction to that. They wanted to be larger than life and put on a great show. So that's kind of the way the whole Persona and all that stuff came from, and they just kind of dabbled into their own personalities and come up with some crap. That's the explanation. I'm nothing. I'm not saying that's right. I'm just saying that's what's been said. No, that's cool. That's. I. That's more than I knew about. About kiss. Yeah, but, I mean, I've seen them 39 times in concert. I'm a big fan. But. And nobody. I don't care who it is. Nobody puts on a show like they do. And that's just. That's just a fact. And, yeah, I mean, that's. That's why they were such a big deal. Because, one, you have to remember at this time, too, that the whole mystique behind them, they were never photographed without their makeup. In the seventies, nobody knew who they were without their makeup. It's. That's kind of the mystique about it. Right. Which also led to all the devil worship and stuff. I mean, you knew Alice Cooper if he had the makeup on or not. These guys could take the makeup off and walk down the street. Nobody would even bother them because nobody knew who they were. Yeah. Lindsay Lohan's
Speaker Johnny Krueg: the same way.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Didn't I see you in the love bug movies? Nope. Wasn't me. So it all plays to this. Mystique and that's the reason them being superheroes and stuff, because they're doing the same thing. I mean, look at Clark Kent taking off his glasses and then you know who he is and puts them on. You don't know. It's like, come on, it's the same dude with glasses, right? So that's kind of the mystique behind the band. That's the reason they got the whole devil worshiping thing and all this stuff, because they wouldn't be photographed without it, which caused the controversy and made them even bigger. Oh, man. My mom came in my room holding up one of my kiss records and was like, you're not listening. This is the devil's music. I mean, I lived through all that. It's real. I mean, preachers were preaching against kiss because they were the devil, you know? Oh, yeah, I was. I was. Yeah. I mean,
Speaker Joseph Henson: all those, like, twisted sister kiss, uh, all those bands from the late seventies, early eighties that got into the whole glam thing. I mean, you couldn't. You couldn't take a step, you know, in one, in either direction without someone standing there saying, oh, you should listen to that. It's the devil's music. Yeah, well,
Speaker Rik Morgan: that was everywhere. That was heavy metal in general. But you gotta remember this is before all that. I mean, this is. I mean, this is legit where people specifically called out kiss by themselves because of the spitting of the fire, the spitting of blood.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Yeah. And I. I can't remember someone came up with an acronym for Kiss. It was like nights and something. Yeah, yeah, that's what it was. Yeah. Yeah. Nice. And Satan service. I mean, that's.
Speaker Rik Morgan: I've heard that many a time. Matter of fact, that happened at a church when I was a kid that we grew up going to. And a lot of the kids that were, you know, teenage kids got it and walked out when all that was going on. Because it's like, I'm not sitting here listening to this because that's bull crap. So, yeah, anyways, that's a whole different story, right? But it just builds up to why this was such a big deal. And it's such a shame that it was such a letdown because, you know, again, there was nobody any bigger than these guys at this point. I mean, every. They were crapping platinum at this point. I mean, it didn't matter what it was. That had to hurt. Yeah. Is this the only movie they ever did? Yes. Thank goodness. So let's get past all this stuff, get back to the movie where our security guards are wandering down an alleyway in the amusement park because, you know, that's where you look for bad guys in an amusement park when it shut down and they get attacked by Gene Simmons. And it sounds like in the background, super tramps trying to play a disco song. And this music's playing while Gene's, like, throwing cops around and breathing fake cartoon fire and roaring like a lion and smashing a.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Concession stand, dude, like that concession stand scene. Like, there, there's legitimately no reason for him to bust that up.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Well, again, they were trying to. He busted through a cement block wall when he first got there. It's like, does that not show that he's strong enough as is? I mean, well, it's funny, though, because, yeah,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: he's busting to this stuff, but then when he, you expect when he throws these security guys for, like, them to break stuff, but they're just lightly landing on like, like little pavilion ledges and stuff.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah. And you get your $6 million man kind of sound effects when he's throwing them around. Like. You know, I didn't get any sound bites for this, and I probably should have because I'm telling you, man, it's as, it's a seventies Saturday morning cartoon sounding as you can get, man. This, this sounds like, it's like you're watching a movie with kiss in it, but your volume is actually turned on to a cartoon from jabber Jaw or something. I mean. Yeah, and you, yeah, you could almost,
Speaker Joseph Henson: like, play this to children, too, because there's not a lot of foul language in this movie or Violet, like, you know, the violence is cartoonish and, you know, there's no, there's no real foul language, you know, other than, like, you might hear like hell or damn or something. But that's risque as it gets. I don't, I think there's one bad word.
Speaker Rik Morgan: You don't call it bad word in the whole movie. And that's exactly why. You're exactly right, Joseph, because your audience at this point, they knew who they were after. This was made for eight years old, up to about 15 years old. This was the target audience for this movie. And it should have just been a Saturday morning show instead of a prom network tv presentation. Can you imagine tuning into this
Speaker Joseph Henson: every Saturday in the eighties or late seventies and early eighties? I would have done it. It would have fit right in with electric woman
Speaker Rik Morgan: and Dinah Girl or Wild Boy and Bigfoot. I mean, there was all these shows that this, this would have been just like, I mean, it felt like a Sid and Marty Croft Saturday morning show. That's a good point. I've never really thought about that. But this could have been a Saturday morning show that came right on after the. The Bay City Rollers power hour. Was that really a thing? Yeah, they had. I don't think it was base. City Rollers had their own show. Yeah, it was a Sid and murdy cross. I did not know that. Okay. I didn't know that either. Yeah, they came to a screeching halt when they got on a fight on the set. You talking about some dudes that threw. Down somebody misspelled Saturday start beating the hell out of each other? Oh, man. I mean, there's. I mean, literally, they said that there would be shows. You remember the movie fear? Fear of a black hat? And they get in a fight right before they raise the lights on the stage. They're all rolling around the floor, beating each other up. That literally happened with these guys. So. Yeah. Anyways, bay city rollers, totally different story. Let's get back to this. Oh, this is the next day when the cops show up at kiss his house. Because, you know, kiss all live together. And they're all in robes. Yeah, they're all in. It's almost starting
Speaker Joseph Henson: to sound like Miami connection. They all share an apartment together. We are all. Gene's waiting for a letter from his.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Oh, my God, my father. My father.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: If kids were singing songs about friendship in this and, like, getting into shenanigans on the beach, Manda, you would improve this movie so much. Yeah. At least a seat or two. I thought we were all
Speaker Rik Morgan: orphans. And he goes, but the cops show up to arrest Gene. But the other three are sitting up in these real, like, lifeguard chairs around this Olympic sized pool that's in the backyard. And the robes. Because, you know, it's a. It's the middle of summer and you gotta wear robes over your head and everything. Cause, you know, that's cool. But, uh, yeah, Gene's not there, and they're there to bust him because, you know, he attacked the cops. And they're all saying, there's no way it wouldn't him. What does. What does. And that's where you get a bunch. Of the drummers say about his brother. Gene's brother was an only child. And that's when Paul goes, easy. Cat man, they are serious.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Yeah. How's his brother an only child? That's one of the questions I was. Gonna ask him with the cops. Yeah. Okay.
Speaker Rik Morgan: He was just. He was just cracking the joke. Yeah. You get a whole bunch of nonsense here that is kind of comical, again, if you know the characters. But this is just bad writing all the way around and bad acting. It cuts away to Melissa showing up at Devereaux's place again and saying, hey, I'm still looking for Sam. He's like, I tell you what, take this pass, and this will let you in everywhere in the park. But we don't know that that pass. She's been bugged. So now he's keeping tracks on her. And almost like he knows the future. He can tell that she's gonna go hang out. Kiss. I don't know, but she's got a bug. Well, they were the biggest thing on the planet at the time. That's right. That's right. It goes back to the pool again. And ace goes ack again. And that's when. And that's when Gene shows up. And Gene growls at the police officers and gets up in his chair. And that's when the cops go out and have the private conversation that Paul can hear through his eyeball. So the cops decide, okay, we're gonna let it go because you guys got these other shows you gotta finish up. Then after that, we'll bust him. And so they already know that something's going on. Cops leave, Melissa shows up, and Gene growls again. And that's when they say, it must be Gene's feeding time. I was like, no, that's what he does when any girl walks. Bye. And this is the thing, man. This we cut away to inside the house. And every kiss fan out there right now, I know, is getting excited. Because the one thing you always wanted as a kiss fan was these talisman, right? So supposedly there's a box of these talisman that have the supernatural powers that kiss all have. So somehow they've been knighted with these talisman. And that's what gives each of their superpowers and also their ability to play from pulp fiction. Absolutely. I'm saying Tarantino ripped us all. Yeah, so that's. You find out all along in pup fiction, they had the talisman from the kiss meets the phantom in dude, if.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: There was a director's cut that existed where that was the case. Mandy, Marcellus Wallace is, like, obsessed with this kiss merch.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Dude, you be like, I'm gonna get medieval on your ass,
Speaker Rik Morgan: Gene.
Speaker Joseph Henson: That's the sound Mars Marcellus Wallace made when he was in that pawn shop, by the way.
Speaker Rik Morgan: So, yeah, uh, they're giving the story to Melissa, which I think is so stupid. I mean, it's so will know, but they're saying, oh, yeah, we're gonna tell you this, girl, that we hardly know all of our secrets about how we're superheroes, right here. It's like Superman saying, oh, by the way, Lois, Kip, tonight will kill me. And I'm also that dude you work with all the time. I mean, it's the same equivalent. But this is where it cuts back to Devereaux. And he's building a robot, Gene Simmons. So that's the robot that was tearing up all the stuff. So we're finding out that, you know, yada, yada, there's a robot, Gene Simmons. So then it's time for kisses, second show. Because it's really the only thing worth watching in this movie. And then it cuts away from that. Back to the kisses house. The kisses. It goes back to the kisses. Because imagine,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: like a beaver style show called the kisses. But it's just that. It's just
Speaker Rik Morgan: kiss. Hey, what's funny is. I mean, I've got a video where I think they were playing on Fridays. You guys remember Fridays at all? Yeah, I remember it. Fridays was like ABC's answer to Saturday Night Live. And kiss were playing on there. And they were asking this guy in the crowd. So. So what do you think about kiss? Oh, I love the kisses. So it's literally something that an older person would have said in the seventies about Kiss. Oh, I love the kisses. They're good. I like him a lot. Anyways, back at the house, they're sitting around the pool. So Pete can sing an acoustic version of Bethe 20 times in a row. It does go on. It just keeps going. Oh, God. But they do something kind of cool because while they're out here hanging out by the pool, Paul's playing the acoustic and Pete's doing the singing. And Sam breaks into Kiss's house to get the talisman. Because when she had the bug on earlier, he heard the whole story about the talisman. So you send Sam in there and I. Sam goes to touch the talisman and it shocks him. And Paul can no longer play the guitar.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Now, Sam still is Sam still considered missing at this point, of course. Yeah. And so
Speaker Rik Morgan: where she runs into him, it kind of. Yeah, it kind of makes Paul's fingers kind of mess up a little bit. And they're all licking each other. Paul's like, that was weird. And it goes back to playing like nothing ever happened. And then Melissa's walking around and she sees Sam walking out of the house. I'm like, it's amazing. She sees him just walking away all the time. But she walks up to him and touches him and finds out he's a robot. Not really. I mean, he's still Sam. He just. He's walking like a robot. Walk like a robot.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Well, this is where she lets out that scream, too. That. Like that. That, like, shriek of the wicked. Yeah. So they all sound like a banshee.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah, screaming like banshee. So they all run to rescue her and see what's happened, and she says, it was Sam. He was here, but it wasn't real. And they all go back in there. They stand around the talisman, because they're left on a table with the lid open on it. If somebody gets to these, we'll be in trouble. It's like, you think? And I love they goes, Sam, the talisman. It all leads to the park. I'm like, yeah, you think, oh, I mean, what else have you guys been doing for the last. I don't know, however long this time we've been going on playing at the park?
Speaker Joseph Henson: Well, earlier in the film, like, it may have been. I think it was the financier. He was like, you know, he's talking about kiss. Playing at this park is going to put this park on the map. I'm like, dude, you people could easily put this on this park on the map without kiss. I mean, this place is like. This place is like crazy town for everybody. Yeah. Just have some good rides and some. Some. Crazy town. I'm thinking about butterflies. Wow.
Speaker Rik Morgan: But, yeah. So they decide they're gonna go to the park when it shut down and snoop around, because that's what you do when you're a rock band with superhero powers. So they sneak in and they go to the big, giant roller coaster, and they fight space. Werewolves. That's right. Space. Is that what those are crawl around and make? Yeah, they're supposed to be werewolves, but they're, like, in space outfits. But they make sounds like gorillas and monkeys. Yeah. Because this
Speaker Joseph Henson: movie couldn't be, as, you know, it couldn't be crazy enough. They had to introduce this. Yeah, they climb roller coasters. Like lemurse.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah, yeah. Which also, I have to admit, this was a big thing, too, because there was a Spider man tv series around this point, and the big talk about it was how they were doing the. The climbing scenes, and it was literally, you know, a guy being held by a wire. They would reel up the wire and he would act like he's crawling up the building. It was the new tech of the time. And you see this used with these guys quite a bit on here. So strangely enough, that's probably the new high tech that they had in this movie. So, yeah, they, all the space werewolves jump down on the ground after they play some Scooby Doo music and we get a big fight. And the music during the fight sounds like, I don't know, streets of San Francisco or something. I mean, it's just, it just doesn't work at all. You got
Speaker Joseph Henson: ace that brings a flashback to me. San Francisco.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah, man, you got ace doing somersaults and shooting werewolves with lasers. You got Pete, Pete's like a street fighter, right? He's got these, this cat agility. He can jump and latch on to people and throw them on the ground and punch them. And I, you see them punching like little sparks that fly up because, you know, they're robots. You got Gene. I don't know Gene just being Gene. I don't know that he does anything any different. But how about that same rap? Knocks the head off of one of them and he makes a face at the camera and you're like, what is he doing? That's when
Speaker Johnny Krueg: they, yeah, that's when they finally realized that they're not fighting people.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah, he knocks the werewolf's head off and you can obviously see all the circuitry that's going on in them. So when they stop, they pull up on the heads and one of them says, it just seems so unreal. And they go, absolutely. And they flip one of the heads over. It's all unreal or something to that degree. So they're finding out that they're fighting robots. Big shock there. Right again, think about your, your age crowd for this. Right again, like I said, this is your, you know, eight year olds up to 1314 year old kids. That's, that's what this was shooting for. So you have to over explain stuff. I guess. I don't know. It don't matter though, because they whip all the werewolves and they go fight a bunch of samurai in an amphitheater because that's where samurai, that's the obvious. Next move in the plot. I legitimately,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: when that, when they went into that theater, I was like, I did not expect this.
Speaker Rik Morgan: It's kind of like, it's kind of like a game of death, right? With Bruce Lee where he goes up to different levels of the building. He fights a different bad guy on each level. So, yeah, this is, this is the second level. And you fight a bunch of robot samurai. Yeah. Oh, they, they get all cornered up, surrounded by the samurai. And Ace, this is a little thing where he points his thumb to the side, and they all just disappear. Right. So ace has got the power to. To make you jump from one place to another. So he's got that kind of power. Even though it only comes in handy once in this whole movie at this point. This is where they go into the chamber of thrills. I don't know why. It's. It seems
Speaker Joseph Henson: like everybody's going into the chamber of thrills in this movie at one point.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah. And I think you have to because. Right. We've already developed that. Oh, this is where Chopper and his gang got, you know, beat up or whatever. So you're keeping it familiar with everybody. They go in there, and the same time that they're fighting everybody in there. You get Sam going back to kiss's place with a ray gun. I like how Devereaux goes. Use this on it. And he shoots across the room, like, blows a big hole in the wall. You could have just said, hey, don't point this at anything except the talisman. Because it'll really mess some crap up. And I love that the laser beam coming out of it is like a wave. A waveform. Right. It's not even a straight laser.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Yeah, it's like. It's like somebody played Metroid and got the wave beam.
Speaker Rik Morgan: So while kiss is fighting in here. Fighting. I mean, come on, man. This is every kid's dream at this point. Kiss fighting the werewolf and Dracula and the mummy and Frankenstein. And they asked Ace to get him out of there again. And he does it. And they just pop up in another part of the room because he's been zapped. So the whole time they're fighting, Sam is, you know, giving them the juice on their talisman. Well, that can mean something totally different. And then kiss gets pulled up in the. The great vacuum cleaner. And now they are in a laser light prison or cell. That Devereaux built to keep them locked up. Because he's about to unleash his plan. And it's to take robot kiss, put them out on the stage. And use music to drive the fans crazy. And make them tear down the park or each other. So this is pretty much the plot of any rock and roll horror movie that we've covered on the show. To drive the.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Drive the fans completely insane. Yes. So all they really need to do is show them this movie after it was over. I miss John Michael Thor.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yes. Man, that would have been awesome. Oh. So fake kiss gets on the stage. And they took the music from hotter than hell. And changed the lyrics to rip and destroy. Thinking that. That's gonna make fans go, let's tear this place down, because that's the power of satanic music in the seventies. But, uh, while the band is getting all upset and robot kiss is up there playing the same song 45 minutes straight, that's when, uh, kiss, the original kiss, figure out. So that's it. He was just gonna use the, you know, use the fake us to. Yeah, okay, we got it, Paul. We got it. But this is when they decide that for some reason, Devereux just leaves the talisman laying over there on his desk in the same room with them. And they all combine their superpowers and make the talisman float over to them between the bars.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Wonderkiss powers activate.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Right, which is, which is kind of cool. But it still didn't explain how they get out of the lasers. So what? You got the talisman? They're just as powerful across the room as they are in your hands. So what, you proved you can levitate some stuff. I don't get where this is going. But somehow they get out and they come flying in from space again. I mean, this is what I don't understand. You're already in the park. Go back to space. All you had to do was. All you had to do is walk out of Devereaux's door, walk up to the stage. But no, we're gonna launch ourselves back into space to do our grand entrance back on the stage again. There's something to be said
Speaker Johnny Krueg: about making a great entrance. Yes. So they. I made a fine exit after this movie went off, by the way. Yeah,
Speaker Rik Morgan: so you get fake kiss and real kiss fighting it out on stage, and you kind of see all their powers come into play here because the robot, Paul Stanley, shoots a laser out of his eye, and Paul Stanley flips over his cheap Gibson. I don't even know what Gibson it is. It's the marauder, I think, was the name of it, that had a. Had a mirror back on it. So he shoots the laser up, back into fake Paul Stanley's head, and it blows him up. And then the other three robots get beat up, and they get together, and ace freely just shoots him with some stuff, and they all just disappear. And I'm like, why didn't you guys, when you were in those bars and you saw devil standing there, why don't you just zap him and you're done, right? Maybe the bars are more powerful. I don't know. Anyways, kiss wins, and they're in there gonna sing. You got it. Rock and roll all night and then when the song ends, we cut back to Devereaux's desk. And Devereaux sitting at his desk, but they won't show him. And they're all like, she's like, the girl's there. Melissa's like, you gotta give Sam back to me. And he's like, I don't think he can hear you. Okay. So they. Sam standing there, and Paul just goes. Pulls down this collar of his shirt and sees a little transistor that's on his neck. And he just pulls the transistor off and then, you know. Sounds fine, Paul. Just go, let's see. If I was gonna make a robot person, I'd have a transistor right there on their neck. You get.
Speaker Joseph Henson: It's gotta be where Paul can see it. Yeah, I mean, where anyone can see. It's a hunch, right? I mean, yeah,
Speaker Rik Morgan: it could have been on his waistline. It could have been anywhere. But I just.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Third knuckle.
Speaker Rik Morgan: And then. So Sam comes back to being human, and him and Melissa are happy. And then they turn around, Devereux in his chair, and he's aged. Why? Yeah, yeah. Don't know. It's like a. Like a. It's like a Dracula
Speaker Johnny Krueg: store, like subplot. They never said anything about.
Speaker Joseph Henson: I think you're your. Why is an all encompassing question to this entire film. It's very true. I mean,
Speaker Rik Morgan: it doesn't make a lick of sense, but it didn't matter because right after that, they start playing God of Thunder live on stage. And that's why the movie is the. Best part of the movie, by the way.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Not just because it's ending, but because it's ending on a good song. And you don't have to hear part party all night again. Yeah.
Speaker Rik Morgan: So there you go, guys. There's the incredible, not so incredible, great memory of mine. Kiss meets the phantom. I would have loved
Speaker Johnny Krueg: to see an audience reaction to this movie.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah, well, again, this was made for tv, right? I mean, so this was not supposed to be thrown shown in. No, I just. I just mean,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: like. Like when you said that they went to the premiere before it aired.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Oh, yeah, yeah. And, yeah, yeah, I've seen. I've seen pictures of them. Like, actually, you know, sitting there watching it. Yeah. I mean. I mean, there's this. What is it? Kiss extreme close up, I think, is the name of the documentary. And pause. You know, that's where he says that I was literally just trying to slither out of my chair and find a way to sneak out of that theater. They were probably hoping
Speaker Joseph Henson: the check would clear so they can, you know, go buy their new boat or whatever. Because this. This film would worry you if they're gonna pay you or not. Yeah. Like the production rolling in the hand of our barracks. The real story
Speaker Rik Morgan: of this band. So there's. There's a level of kiss fandom, right? Because when they started, it was all black and silver, hardcore, kind of just. Just rock and roll. No bells and whistles. I mean, they still had a good stage show, but it was more adult. And just like with everything great that happens, they get popular. Yeah, well, think about it. In our time, right, there was a time where kids were having Rambo toys. You know, when you think about how ridiculous that is, that's how ridiculous this was. They got so big that it became a kids thing. And they said that they would notice that by the time 77 78 rolled around, they look out in a crowd and there was, you know, parents there with your kids, and that's the majority of their crowd there for a while. And they're like, man, we're doing something wrong. It's the Freddy Krueger phenomenon. Yeah. I mean, it's. It's a weird situation. They got so big and ended up, you know, of course they said that it gets addictive, too, because once you get a taste of the. The pop life and just how much money and access come with that, you just want more of it. More of it. And you end up destroying everything, which is literally what they did. I mean, this is a. A five year period from when they started to being where they were at this point to where this is the year that they released double platinum, which obviously shipped double platinum. And they released four solo albums. They all did solo albums apiece. You know, that's. That's how big they were. Just that there was Kiss Dolls, kiss pinball machine. I mean, kiss everything. Yeah. And they're still. They're still really popular today. Like, in 2021.
Speaker Joseph Henson: It's like if they can survive this, you know, that they can pretty much survive until they, you know, until there, they can't play. That's a testament to
Speaker Johnny Krueg: their. To their brand.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Well, but they also realized where it went wrong, too. And course, when you got, you know, Bill. Billecoin Washington, legendary, you know, manager, too. So he knew how to. How to get money out of everything. And that was part of it, too. I mean, that's what made them the machine that they were. I mean, they merchandised everything. And Gene kind of still carried that on. Right. I mean, there's kiss toilet paper everything. And that's. I mean, it's ridiculous. Yeah. Yeah. It's called kiss me some phantom of the park. Oh, that was good. Oh, man. So luckily, you know, around 82, they kind of got their senses back and made creatures of the night, which is their heaviest album they ever made, so, you know. Well, I take that back. It's the heaviest album up until. Revenge. Maybe after revenge, there was. What was the album they did after that? That was more of the alternative kind of album. Carnival of souls. Yeah. Oh, carnival.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: I was thinking Psycho circus, but is that something different?
Speaker Rik Morgan: Psycho Circus was the reunion of the original four members, and only two of the original members really played on most of it. I hated that album, actually, because I knew it wasn't them. Right. I mean, I could tell. It's like, that's not Pete playing drums. It's, you know, I don't know. It was. It was fabricated. And they tried too hard. Instead of. Instead of getting four guys back together, putting them in a room and let them jam and come up with songs, they were trying to create songs that hit high points in all the decades, you know, that they were from. So they tried to give Pete another Beth kind of song. They gave Ace another shock be kind of song. They did some songs where they sang two or three lines apiece in each song, which goes back to the earlier days. So they were. They were trying to hit all the tick marks and satisfy all the kiss fans instead of just making a good. You know what's funny? The last. I mean, I know it's not
Speaker Johnny Krueg: the same band or anything or type of music, but the last offspring album they put out, like, ten years ago was the same way. Like, it was like every song was from a different album that they put out.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah. Yeah. You know, it's. I don't know, man. I think. I think you can. You can see through that stuff. So, you know, this timeframe, even though this. This movie doesn't really reflect it, this around this time points, my. Probably my favorite kiss time, because this is Love gun. Destroyer. Rock and roll over. That's just some of my favorite records that they did because they were, you know, Destroyer was over produced because it's Bob Ezrinae, but it's their most popular album. But rock and roll over is raw. Love Gun is raw. And from there, they just kind of lost it because they did the solo albums. And then Dynasty came out, which had, you know, the disco song on it. So, yeah, that's when it was starting to really.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Disco song. Oh, crap. You were made for loving me. Oh, yeah. I had no idea that was kiss. Oh, wow.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah. Yeah. Their biggest hit.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: They charted the highest, I guess it sounds like the. Sounds like the theme song to the kisses.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Well, and here's another thing you got to remember, too. This is why I can go in the whole history of this band, but they were on Casablanca records, so besides, kiss is the one that kept the lights on, for sure. But Casablanca was known as pretty much, you know, how you got Motown for all the r and b stuff. Casablanca was disco. They were the biggest disco production company out there. I mean, they had Donna Summer, village people, everybody at that time. Casablanca was disco. So I'm sure that because of the popularity of disco at the time, they probably nudged. I know. Bogart was. Neil Bogart, who owned Casablanca, probably nudged kiss. Hey, this stuff's hot. You guys need to jump on one of these. And he would do that all the time. He'd tell them what kind of song they needed to have. That's how they got rock and roll all night. They didn't want to write that. They were told to. Wow, that's. I mean,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: good on whoever told them to, I guess, because that. I mean, that song plays on the local stations here every, you know, 20 minutes on a loop. I think that song played, played, played during this whole podcast, actually. This is getting royalties from short, but. I can make that happen. Yeah, Gene, at least. All right, guys, so, yeah, what, what. What are some good lessons from a bad movie? You guys took away from this.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Kisses the devil. And you can use kiss music to make people turn on each other and kill each other and tear down amusement parks. I'd say
Speaker Joseph Henson: Paul Stanley, his need to give a lot of exposition coined the phrase kiss position. So that's. I took that from that. From this film. Oh, man. The only thing I got from this
Speaker Johnny Krueg: was that theme parks are run by moronse. Well, that's kind of true, actually. So. Well, I learned you're not supposed to
Speaker Rik Morgan: piss off the security guards because. Easy, cat. Man, these guys are serious.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Oh, man. What about. What were they thinking? Any of those moments besides the entire movie? Gee, I don't know where to start on that one. Right.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah. Just the. The whole concept of why they made this. I mean, it's obviously a money grab, just like jaws three or jaws for. Right. I mean, it's. It's not needed. Shut your mouth about Jaws
Speaker Johnny Krueg: 3D.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Hey, I'm guilty of liking Mister Iron Eagle in it. Absolutely. You can't handle the loo. Yeah. This whole movie is just a big. What were they thinking? Because obviously, whoever got the money off of this kiss was thinking, we're gonna make a big paycheck. But nobody thought about anything about this. Movie, really, for me. I.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Yeah, I'm wondering. Yeah, I'm wondering if it broke, if it had any kind of profit at all. I don't think. Oh, yeah. So had four profits.
Speaker Rik Morgan: I was telling Johnny, ah, like I said, the biggest tv show at this time was showgun with Richard Chamberlain. This thing was. A mini series was on. This thing was breaking records left and right. And this came on the same night that shogun came on. And nobody watched Showgun. So this. This thing did what it was supposed to do, man.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: For me, it was, you know, is the Illuminati all seeing, all hearing eye in this. The all hearing eye was my. What are they thinking? Oh, as it was, soon as he started saying them in that. In that sepia tone and. And you could hear the dialogue through his eyeball, I was like, what? Yeah, it's high tech.
Speaker Joseph Henson: I think my. What were they thinking is it's like, how many times do we need to hear that kiss is the biggest group on the planet? And so we know this, right? It's like, as you know, kiss is playing here tonight and they are the biggest group on the planet. Five minutes later, kiss is gonna be here tomorrow and they're the biggest group on the planet. Where's. What were you thinking
Speaker Rik Morgan: saying.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: What about upgrades? How would you upgrade this?
Speaker Rik Morgan: Well, ironically enough, as far as what you can do for upgrades, that first version of the movie that I sent you pissed me off because they did cut a lot of the cheese out of it which made it a. Just a very dull, bad movie at that point. But they did change out some of the songs and they put some songs from the solo albums on there. It's just the whole. The whole Hanna Barbera thing really hurts it with all the sound effects, the, you know, Scooby Doo sounding music in the background. I mean, you're just missing the zoinks in there every once in a while, right? Space werewolves.
Speaker Joseph Henson: I'd say in addition to all the kiss songs that we hear through this movie there's a lot of footage of patrons on amusement park rides. I'd say we needed less of that and more. Brian James.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Like I said in the very beginning of this episode, I think, man, I think if they had had somebody like Vincent Price and the. In the villain role because although the dude who played the villain in this has been in a lot of stuff, he just didn't have the charisma of what he. If they were gonna go for that full on Scooby Doo feeling, they needed, like, a. You know, like, was it Doctor Goldfoot and the bikini mission bombs? They needed that kind of thing going on.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Yeah, it's like his. It's like the guy who played Abner, he's like. He had, like, no, like, you know, mystique about him or any kind of, like, evil charisma. It's like his worst infractions by stealing, like, pins from the park. Oh. You know, this movie needed more.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Sneed. So it comes. It's that time. Then you guys gotta set this on the bus. And since Joseph is joining us, I think he should tell us where he says, since this movie on the bus. Yeah. Oh, well, I wouldn't put it in the back
Speaker Joseph Henson: because I did laugh a lot and, you know, I was entertained. I mean, it's a terrible film. I mean, it's one of the worst I've ever seen, honestly. But I would. I would put it not exactly in the middle, maybe, like, before. Like, the seat next to the last seat.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Yeah, same thing, man. I don't want to put it all the way in the back, you know? And I. I do love this movie as bad as it is, because, again, you're tied to it emotionally as a kid, but, yeah. Yeah. That doesn't defend the fact that it's a terrible movie. So. Yeah, I understand,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: like, the dark power we just did. I mean, I. I enjoy the hell out of that, but I know it's not good. I would. I would say this. Yes, second last. Like you guys said, it's. Because it's. It's not something like battlefield Earth or. Or death nurse. It's not something that I'm just absolutely gonna take a crap all over.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Man. If Battlefield Earth only had space werewolves, it matter. Death nurse. Oh, death nurse only had gene Simmons and might have improved that one. Oh, awesome. Well, man, Joseph, tell us. Tell everybody what they can find your show at.
Speaker Joseph Henson: Hey, we're on apple, Stitcher, Spotify, YouTube. Just search. The hysteria continues on Google. If you like slasher films, you can find us on several Blu ray releases from vinegar syndrome, Arrow 88 films. Yeah, I mean, just type in the name and we're somewhere. Yeah, these guys know their crap. Oh, yeah, man. Like. Well, when it comes to Nathan, yeah, it comes to Nathan. Yeah.
Speaker Johnny Krueg: Guys on the show. And, like, every single one of them has, like, just an infinite amount of slasher knowledge. So, you know, it's. Oh, yeah. Yeah. Almost like I do with. I learn more about kissing this podcast then that I've known my entire life.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Dude. I'm gonna. I'm gonna send you both a link to a video, which is pretty much the nail in the coffin for the original lineup of kiss, where they're on the Tom Snyder show on Halloween night. And you literally see it fall apart. Cuz aces, he's messed up on something, and it just goes downhill so fast. You can see Gene and Paul getting so pissed. Oh, yeah. So I gotta send you all that. And y'all check it out. It is. It is. It is legendary. I mean, every kiss fan just, you know, this is like one of those great things that you get to see because you literally see the. The band dude
Speaker Johnny Krueg: you were talking about, too. Oh, yeah. Yeah. Because I didn't live through the height of, you know, kiss mania, so it's cool to kind of, like, brush up on that stuff. Yeah,
Speaker Rik Morgan: yeah. I mean, as, you know, the people that don't get it, they don't get it. I mean, that's fine. But you don't have arena rock. You don't have, you know, Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, all these other bands without this band, you really don't. I mean, they. They were the ones that really made it happen. And they took a little bit from Lou Reed, they took a little bit from Alice Cooper, dated boy, in a way, from the fantastical kind of part, and it just exploded. And the people think that was only about the theatrics is totally missing the point, because there's some. Like I said, like, I mean,
Speaker Johnny Krueg: I don't know a lot of their music, but God of thunder has always been a pretty badass song. Yeah. Oh, yeah. Yeah. I was a. I was a toddler at the.
Speaker Joseph Henson: At the height of their popularity, but I did see them on the revenge tour, and I had that album. I wore that album out like. Like it was nobody's business. But I've never been. I've never been super crazy about kiss. But I do concede that they are, you know, outside of their image. They're very talented musicians and they put that, you know, they write great songs as well. So other than, you know, revenge.
Speaker Rik Morgan: Revenge was kind of like the return to the original feel of kiss for all of us die hard fans because it was a little more raw, very. Tongue in cheek, but heavy as well. Heavy, yeah. And, well, that's a great of great writers all
Speaker Johnny Krueg: around. Greatness in the entertainment industry. I would like to put it out there that our next episode of short bus is going to be a huge one. It's going to be a massive episode. I mean, just heavy hitter all the way. And you guys have to stay tuned to see what that is, though. Yep. Because. Absolutely. Joseph, man, very miss. Sounds very mysterious. Oh, yeah. Thanks, dude. Joseph, appreciate you coming on with us, man. Yeah, yeah. Anytime. Oh, yeah. We'll see
Speaker Rik Morgan: you next episode. Two dudes, right? All right, Johnny, you got anything else? All right, everybody, take it easy. We will see you later. Adios. Peace.
Credits: Transcript Brought to you by DeepCast Pro — link-backs to DeepCast.fm or referrals to DeepCast Pro are greatly appreciated!