How do you achieve successful growth as an architecture firm? It all comes down to having the right people on your team. Today, there are small 20-person firms that are making incredible revenue and ranking on lists alongside much larger counterparts. There are firms that have been acquired by larger firms, only to see their original talent leave. There is no magic formula for hiring and retaining the best people. But according to Marjanne Pearson, an industry force and the Chief Strategy Officer of Talentstar, there are ways to empower your strategic agenda and fill the roles you need.
- Architecture is more than design craft
- The birth of strategy and specialization
- The four levels of leadership
- Think beyond full-time employees
- Grow slowly and steadily
- Make change as easy as possible
- Learn how to become a change manager
- Evaluate hires for cultural fit
- Perfect the art of the interview
- The dangers of acquisition
- Help clients understand what they’re missing
- Design firms are not a hierarchy
What is Best Practice Fireside Chats?
Welcome to Best Practice—a fireside chat series dedicated to practice operations in architecture and beyond. From pain points to potential, hear how leaders in the building industry are innovating through new business models and management techniques. Subscribe to listen to weekly conversations with leaders at Olson Kundig, SHoP Architects, and more. Topics include: how to run the business side of architecture, how to foster design culture in the firm, and how to design an architecture firm today.