What do business strategists and editor-in-chiefs have in common? They both require you to build relationships. Lots of them. As the director of strategy and partnerships at Trahan Architects, founder and editor-in-chief of Madame Architect, and a lifelong collector of mentors, Julia Gamolina is an expert relationship builder. In this episode, she shares how her roles overlap, how she approaches business strategy, and the steps she recommends to follow in her career footsteps.
- Find the common threads among women architects
- Grow from media site to community resource
- Produce content, not just buildings
- Connect with people
- Let business strategy take you to the next level
- Develop a central message and use it everywhere
- Keep developing new ideas
- Use social media to find collaborative partners
- Growth can only happen with a strong culture
- Get experience in as many roles as possible
- Explore your career, don’t plan
- Find mentors by approaching people you admire
What is Best Practice Fireside Chats?
Welcome to Best Practice—a fireside chat series dedicated to practice operations in architecture and beyond. From pain points to potential, hear how leaders in the building industry are innovating through new business models and management techniques. Subscribe to listen to weekly conversations with leaders at Olson Kundig, SHoP Architects, and more. Topics include: how to run the business side of architecture, how to foster design culture in the firm, and how to design an architecture firm today.