Gav: The Podcast on Haunted Hill will contain spoilers and swearing.
Intro: I am the devil, and I am here to do the devil's work. I saw this when I come. And be one of us. It is time to keep your appointment.
Dan: Hello, and welcome to The Podcast on Haunted Hill, episode 118. We thought we'd do something a bit silly there. And also, if you're a UK listener, and you grew up in the 80s watching Bullseye, the darts quiz show that was late Sunday afternoons with your family, then you knew that whenever somebody scored to the highest score possible with three darts, that the man would shout out, 180!
Gav: The guy that stood next to the board, yeah. The darts was quite an 80s thing, wasn't it?
Dan: It's still going now, though. Making money, isn't it?
Gav: Yeah, absolutely.
Dan: But yeah, you don't have a quiz show about darts anymore, that's for sure.
Gav: No, you don't. And the guy, the presenter, was only like in his 40s, and he looks like, I don't know, 500, I don't know.
Dan: He does, yeah.
Gav: It's just old school, just looks old school, doesn't he? Looks like he's just been down the cold moines when he was one.
Dan: Whenever you, if you Google people who in the 70s, people in their 30s looked older than us now. It's just like we've got moisturizer, we look after ourselves more, we take vitamins and we exercise more. We don't smoke 700 cigarettes a day.
Gav: Yeah, and imagine what it would be like 100 years.
Dan: I know. Be like, oh, is that a newborn baby? No, no, no, that's a 70 year old man.
Gav: Well, AI has gone and learned how to reverse aging, you know.
Dan: Let's hope so. Well, this is episode 180. Thank you. We're already on a tangent, which is great. Gav, it's the summer. It's hot. You're sat here at Topler's, I'm in a vest. And as is our podcast, Annual Tradition. We like to celebrate the summer. We do. We have a little trip to Camp Crystal Lake. So this episode.
Gav: That's made us hopping along.
Dan: With the backpack on. La la la la la.
Gav: Come on, guys. Gonna go for a swim.
Dan: Gonna smoke some weed and lose my virginity in a tent. Oh no, there's a man with a machete. Yes, we have covered all of the Jason movies so far over the last few years. And we will be covering this episode Friday the 13th, part 7, The New Blood from 1988.
Gav: Yep.
Dan: And also we will be covering part 8, which is called, Gav, what's it called?
Gav: Part 8, I Can't Wait.
Dan: It's called that. No, it's called Jason Takes Manhattan, which is actually Vancouver. Spoiler alert.
Gav: Takes Canada.
Dan: Right up the bottom. No, that's from 1989. So we're going to be going into those two and having a lot of fun. Jason Trivia and I love, probably our favorite franchise, definitely mine. And I think yours though, over the years, doesn't it really become your favorite?
Gav: Yeah, it has. It was Halloween. And then as you get older, you're like, that, they're not very good, those, you know. These ones are kind of along the line, apart from this, which we get to, just gushing it, trying to do something different. Generally, it's the same formula. It was the same looking killer. It didn't have a part three, which went off and tried to be something else. And it was fairly solid, you know, what you get with a Friday 13th. And as I got older, it becomes more of a sentimental nostalgia. The camp, the killer wandering around, you know, it's just something which is very formulaic. But it's everyone knows that formula. Everyone knows it. You could put a parody in this in a family guy. It's like very easy to have a camp with people, killer going on, everyone to know what that is.
Dan: You know, and he's got the iconic hockey mask, you know, it's just everybody knows Jason.
Gav: The look pretty much stayed the same. Obviously, you had, yeah, you got a tattoo there. Obviously, it started off with original spoiler was his mum. Second one, a second one, not having a mask sack. Third one, getting a mask. Yeah. And then going forward from that, and it's really something which I've been able to, as older, go back to and just know, oh, I'm just going to pick any of those, one of those movies out and put it on. Apart from Manhattan, generally know what I'm going to get. And Jason X, because that's obviously a space, but you do have to throw back to the cabinet. And it's the only of those series I've got on Blu-ray as a collector. You can actually buy on Amazon, not too expensive, the whole, well, not a whole lot. Part one to part eight, there's a Blu-ray disc where all inside, they're quite compact, quite nice for it's about 35 pound. It's not too much. So I snapped it up when I saw that on Amazon.
Dan: I've still got them all on VHS.
Gav: Yeah, totally. You still have them on VHS. But out of all of them, you're right, that is the best one. Do you have a fan of, what's your favorite?
Dan: My favorite is Six.
Gav: No, no, no, out of The Slashers.
Dan: Oh, Jason.
Gav: Oh, it's Jason too, okay.
Dan: Yeah, I mean, I do love Slashers. I think it's probably overall my favorite genre in horror, only because about two or three times a year, I'll discover a film that I've never heard of slash never seen. You know, and actually only recently I watched one, which I've never seen. What was it called? The Visitor.
Gav: Oh, yeah.
Dan: Never seen it before.
Gav: Yeah, you said that.
Dan: And it was basically The Slasher. And I just, I love that genre and I love the sort of...
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: It's dumb because it's a bunch of dumb teenagers taking drugs, drinking, having sex.
Gav: But you know what you're getting.
Dan: And you know what you're getting, yeah. And I do love other genres like Zombie Werewolf. We discussed this, but it's just comforting to me. And then for me, Jason is the king of The Slashers, really.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: I love the whole, you know, especially like Kane Hodder behind the mask, you know, which we get in these two we're going to be discussing tonight. He played him three times and yeah, it's just great. So that's what this episode is. Jason, Bill Murray has just arrived wearing his hockey mask. So he's ready for World Of The Strange.
Gav: And it is actually a Friday night. Me and Dan are actually recording this. It's not the 13th, what is it? 20th?
Dan: It's the 18th.
Gav: Friday the 18th.
Dan: Not quite the same. No. But it's really, really hot. Yeah. And that's why we're doing it. And talking of hot Gav, segue. So I've been on holiday. Oh, that was stressful. It's because you've got little kids. I know. But it was great. And we retain and hold on to the fun memories. But there are times...
Gav: You've learned that from me. Because all I remember is the bad memories.
Dan: Well, there are times when it's difficult with two four year olds who are completely overstimulated. And everywhere you go, there's arcade machines and coin pushers, ice creams, sugar.
Gav: Lights, flashy things, sounds.
Dan: And they stayed up like two and a half hours, three hours past their bedtime every night because we were on holiday. But it was fun and we did have a good time. There's a Jurassic Golf course, but like a crazy golf course and swimming and all that. So we had a really, really good time. And while I was there, we stayed in a caravan. So I'm not sure if the...
Gav: Sorry, do they swim? Have they got little inflatable?
Dan: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all go swimming, yeah. I'm not sure if it's really got anything like this in the US, other than trader parks. But we have like the caravan, the static caravan parks here in the UK, that you hire at the caravan for the week. And what's nice is once the kids are asleep, it's just terrestrial TV. So there is a reason for me doing all of this. So I turned on the TV on my first night, the kids are asleep. What was on TV?
Gav: Predator.
Dan: Predator.
Gav: You messaged me and I was like that's like, because I've done, I've messaged you from there before. I think we've not been on holiday. And you're like, I've got nothing to watch. What's on telly? And you turn it on. It's like random. I remember not to jump, but you're going to get in your limelight very quickly. Very quickly. I remember doing that with the kids when they're quite young. And True Lies was on. So I was like, well, I watched True Lies. But it's Jamie Lee Curtis's dancing and the girls were a little bit younger. So it was a whole thing. And I said, oh, for God's sake. It is because she is quite a sexy, a curvaceous lady, isn't she?
Dan: And then two nights later, and it was great to watch Predator, obviously. And then two nights later, me and Alice take turns to do the bedtime. So we do that at home as well so that you get an evening. Every other night you get an evening as it were.
Gav: Very quickly, I just said an Arnie movie, which I watched on this holiday and you watched an Arnie movie on holiday. Isn't that funny?
Dan: Oh yeah, how weird. Well, another movie that I watched two nights later in the caravan, turned it on. Literally, the credits were just starting.
Gav: Nice.
Dan: Jules Two.
Gav: Wicked.
Dan: And I was like, I actually almost prefer this to the first one in some ways. The first one is a classic. Don't get me wrong, it's a better film, but I love watching the second one because it's a slasher. It's like a slasher movie. It's formulae, it's got the teenagers.
Gav: The first time I came back, and very quickly for continuing yours, that was really great because you're on holiday as well. So you could look at your camera and window and see the city, and then you're like, I was on that.
Dan: And you saw the view. I sent you the pictures and the seat was right there.
Gav: So I was in LA, and it was the morning I was going to Universal Studios, and I'd managed to just sign into my Netflix in America, on the telly in the hotel. So I had American Netflix and it had Jaws 2. Oh, sweet. I was watching it again. I don't know if I really remember this movie, and it's quite great, because I was then off to the Universal Studios to go on the Jaws ride. So it was great to do that at the same time. So I really quite enjoyed Jaws 2, because obviously it's still got a lot of the feel, not the feeling so much, but yeah, it has a bit with the characters and the tone. It hasn't transferred to the 80s or 90s. It still feels quite, do you know what I mean? It feels quite old.
Dan: Yeah, it's not 78.
Gav: Yeah, so it's in the 70s still. So that's why I quite like it.
Dan: I feel the same way about Jaws 2 that I do about Halloween 2 in that, Halloween 1 and Jaws 1 are both fantastic blueprints. They're untouchable film gods films, but those sequels actually are slightly more watchable because I haven't seen them as much. And they almost take the formula and change it a little bit. So it's like a little bit more unpredictable. I love Halloween 2 just as much as Halloween 1. But I think I've said before, sometimes I just prefer to watch Halloween 2 because I love the whole hospital thing. It's the same with Jaws 2. I love Brody. He's really into his character by that point. It's kind of like when Christopher Reeves in Superman 2, he's comfortable in the suit. He knows his character by then. And it's not like first time out, you know? And you've got all the kids and everything in it, and you've got some quite brutal deaths in it. And he's a bit of a hero, much more of a hero in it this time around. You almost want him to say, how can the same shit happen to the same guy? Two Christmases in a row. You almost want him to say that kind of thing, you know?
Gav: Well, that's like that, actually. Die Hard 2 is in the same ballpark as Die Hard because it's not too far from it. So the main actor isn't too of a different visually aged, do you know what I mean? Too much. So it kind of still fills it even though it's a different production team or different directors, etc. Yeah, you still get that feeling. Yeah.
Dan: And the funny thing about Duelz 2 being on while I was on my holiday is, and this is my other little thing I wanted to talk about, hot films. I've been watching films because it's been so hot here in the UK. And the week before we went on holiday, there were three films I watched at home. I watched Return Of The Living Dead, because that film always feels like it's really hot and everyone's sweating and it's just...
Gav: You just want to spank your monkey over the graveyard scene. That's all it is.
Dan: Baby, that is crazy when she starts doing that.
Gav: I love the fact she comes on to the punk guy and he's like, no, get out here, lady. I don't want that. I'm not into that. It's like, what? What are you doing?
Dan: The funny thing is she had to wear an American for that scene.
Gav: Yeah, I think she shaved herself. So that's why they're like, oh, no, no, you can't because it's too graphic.
Dan: You don't want to see your fanny.
Gav: It's too graphic.
Dan: I also watched Jules 1, weirdly, not knowing that it was going to be on while I was in the car. Oh, I've never seen that one. I just watched it. I wanted to watch it.
Gav: Oh, cool.
Dan: This is the week before holiday.
Gav: Oh, sorry.
Dan: And the other hot film I watched was Lost Boys because that week before my holiday, it was 30 degrees every day in the UK. And I was sweating my tits off, as they say. So I was like, I've got to watch these films. So they're my go to. I didn't watch Texas Chainsaw. I know that's another one people like to watch when it's hot. But what are a couple of your hot favorites?
Gav: Well, I didn't really do any this time. And I was thinking about the update I saw on Legend because it's always on there, doesn't go anywhere. And it's on YouTube anyway. My favorite, absolute favorite hot film to watch is the one with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, the long, the hot night, big hot night, Night Of The Big Heat.
Dan: Yeah, The Night Of The Big Heat. Yeah, that's a great one.
Gav: I really enjoy that film. And I think the young lady in it's very attractive as well. It's very sexy. You know the one.
Dan: Yeah, that's a good one.
Gav: Who's just there with her eyes going, Oh, I'm so hot tonight. Yeah, I agree.
Dan: We're funny, aren't we, that we like to watch films when it's hot.
Gav: Seasonal, I really get into it. Like with Sarah and I, if it's like a thunderstorm, we're together in bed watching a movie. We always put on something a bit creepy, like a thunderstorm or whatever. I just like seasonal things. I like to make it more immersive.
Dan: I do the same when it's a full moon. If it's a full moon, I'm like, Oh, I've got to watch a werewolf movie tonight.
Gav: Oh, that's wicked, yeah.
Dan: And it's the same back to this episode. If it's Friday the 13th. We all do this, listeners. We all watch a Friday the 13th movie on Friday the 13th.
Gav: What's the beautiful thing about the genre of horror? For example, let's flip this. Let's say this is a comedy podcast, and we're discussing this. Well, on full moons, I like to... There's no comedy, what, Teen Wolf? It's not... You're not going to find as much accessibility in sub-genres of the genre as you do with horror. It's so good that we can go, oh, it's foggy time, right? I'm going to watch some old Hammer movies, or do you know what I mean? So I love horror for that reason.
Dan: Indeed, indeed, indeed. Well, that's some of the stuff I watched on holiday. We've both been to the cinema. I've been twice this week. We've both seen the same film.
Gav: What's the first one you saw?
Dan: Superman.
Gav: Superman. Okay, yeah. I said to Elijah, do you want to watch that? Okay, I guess I won't be watching some Superman. How was it?
Dan: It was good.
Gav: Because I remember Superman is one of the super heroes. He has been done a bit by DC, I suppose, over time, but I kind of just kind of ignored it. And I just remember Christopher Reeve as a kid, those movies. That's my flagpole, so to speak.
Dan: This takes it back to that, because I feel like the Christopher Reeve movies were quite innocent and camp. And we're very much like, look, we get it. It's a man in red and red pants and, you know, blue.
Gav: Because it seems a bit silly in a bit. When you're a kid, it's okay, but as you get older, it's the same. Most Batman seems like ridiculous. It's a man dressed as a bat. That's just absolutely ridiculous.
Dan: And not to get into too much of the Snyder stuff, because there is this whole online thing at the moment where people are like, Zack Snyder is better than James Gunn. Whatever. You like whatever you like. That's up to you. But obviously with the Snyder films, with Henry Cavill, those were a bit dark and a bit more serious. Now, the thing is, Superman isn't supposed to be taken seriously, I don't think. I think, like with most superheroes, it's people in tights and capes running around with lightning coming out of the hands, or whatever it is they do, climbing up walls. And what I liked about this New Superman 2025 is it takes it back to that. He's a man in a cape, he's an alien, he's got Lex Luthor.
Gav: Dogs in it lots, isn't it?
Dan: Yeah, Krypto, yeah, he's great in it. They take a lot of elements from the comics and the cartoons, and it works, for the most part, it works. I've got one or two gripes with it, but the action was phenomenal.
Gav: Was it crazy long? It was very colourful.
Dan: No, it's just over two hours.
Gav: That's not too bad then, I suppose.
Dan: Yeah, and it just feels like opening a comic book.
Gav: Oh, cool.
Dan: Really? And getting all those colours thrown at you, the odd character shows up here and there, but nothing like... It doesn't do the thing that you hate with Marvel, it doesn't let you sort of say, oh, you've got to have seen this film, and if you like this, you have to watch the next three films. It doesn't do any of that, it's just like, this is a Superman film, there's a couple of other characters in it, and the next film to come out is going to be Supergirl next year. But this was great, I thought the guy playing Superman was brilliant, I thought Louis Lane was great, Lex Luthor was phenomenal in it, and some of the side characters were really funny as well, the dog was phenomenal, and it wasn't even a real dog. The CGI is incredible, it's just not even a real dog at all.
Gav: Oh wow, original Marlon Brando, wasn't it?
Dan: Yeah, it was, yeah. I won't say who plays that character in this one, because it's a bit of a secret.
Gav: Yeah, with Superman, I was more tempted to go to that than I would a Marvel film, because I don't know.
Dan: Oh, he's the oldest comic book hero.
Gav: And for me, back in the day, Superman, it basically out of any, so I mean, he is a man and he's super, he's strong, he's got laser vision, he can fly, he's Superman. So he encapsulated everything in one person. So I didn't need to look around at all these different superheroes, do you know what I mean? So Superman, for me, have always been like, okay, in my book. You know, Spider-Man, absolutely. I always check out Spider-Man. I fucking love Spider-Man. It's just always been, it's sang with that, which is funny because I could actually mock Batman, like Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale. I take this very seriously. We're very serious filmmakers. This is very important, very serious. You're making a movie about bat, a Batman, a man that's dressed as a bat. I know you still got to take it seriously, but you know.
Dan: He's a billionaire with too much money. And he's dealing with the trauma of losing his parents in front of his very eyes. So what does he do? He goes out and beats up and kills bad guys all around the city at night, dressed up in a bat costume. He needs some help.
Gav: I just thought it was funny those guys are such serious filmmakers. And then you're making a movie about a dude that dresses as a bat.
Dan: Which is why I really like the Tim Burton 1989 Batman.
Gav: Yeah, and Tim Burton is perfect as well, because he's quirky. He's like, I'm a serious filmmaker, but I'm doing this. And that makes sense in my warehouse.
Dan: That film, that Batman film is a great balance of camp and serious for me. And that is going to always be my favorite Batman, Michael Keaton. Fucking Jack Nicholson, talking of Marlon Brando, getting Jack Nicholson as the Joker is a phenomenal achievement. He was wonderful in it. But I enjoyed Superman. I really enjoyed it. Came out a bit smiling. Great. But I didn't enjoy it as much as the other film that I've seen that you've also seen.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Jurassic World, Rebirth. We both seen this separately, of course.
Gav: Yeah. A couple of my kids said, yeah, we want to go. Not in German, yes, but they just said, yeah. Because dinosaurs, that's literally the only reason.
Dan: Literally, literally.
Gav: If dinosaurs were in the zoo and we brought them back and that was a thing, people wouldn't be going to cinema to watch movies. But people want to see dinosaurs. So they go to the cinema to watch dinosaurs because it's a fascinating thing. Oh, dinosaurs, these huge beasts that walked around once part of time. It's crazy. So that's something that always pulls people in and always will. So Javsic Pop movies will always go because of that reason, you know, financially.
Dan: Did you enjoy it?
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I didn't mind it at all. It's better than the last couple of films that have come out.
Dan: Yes, for sure.
Gav: The one which had the house and then that's just a bit whack. This one was okay, but I did have flaws with it a little bit, though. It's very hard with some of the geographies, hard to understand where people were. There's a lot of us. And it felt like all of a sudden we just dropped into it rather than. It felt like it was a part two and we'd already had Scarlett Hanson in another movie and we'd learn those characters. Do you know what I mean? Which is fine. It jumped straight into action, but it felt like they're already like, oh, we've established that. So let's go on to the next one. Okay. Do you know what I mean? It felt quite quick into it, but it's fine.
Dan: I liked that though. For me, it was a return to form because they went back to the jungle.
Gav: And the last couple have been in the jungle.
Dan: And this film was great because there's two parties in it. You've got the Scarlett Hanson and her dudes.
Gav: There was some stupid shit on it. I love the fact that one of the guys is really pissed off with the dude, which made sense. Why are you bringing kids out on this water den? I'm glad the fact he actually said that because it's the most thickest shit. And I really hated the young boyfriend.
Dan: The boyfriend, yeah, me too. He was my least favorite part of it, but he was supposed to be a dumb stoner and that was just...
Gav: It was done badly. It's funny, though, because it was actually a director who... A British director who's done Star Wars and done all sorts and started off making films in his bedroom. And it's funny because he did the raid, didn't he? No, no, I'm thinking of the other one, the other English director. Gareth Edwards and there's Gareth, someone else. Yes.
Dan: This is Gareth Edwards we're talking about.
Gav: Yeah, it was fine. Oh, he did Godzilla. So he knew, you know, he did monsters as well. Yeah. And he did all those effects himself in hotel rooms while he was flying around the world filming that movie. So he is very much the person for doing, especially large monsters visual effects wise. He knows how to then do that. It was fine. Scott Hanson was pretty decent in it. It was all right. You know, you're never going to beat the first movie because the first movie takes us with Sam Neill's character to the island for the first time, to seeing them for the first time in the cinema. Do you know what I mean? When it's first done, Stan Winston's effects. So that why that movie kind of is very special. Not like I saw it in the cinema at first time, but it's just the way that that movie's done. And it's Spielberg. It's just crafted extremely well. And you'll never get a film better than that of the Jurassic parks, but it's decent. Did you like it?
Dan: I really enjoyed it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, as I've said, it was a return to form, as in they've gone back to the jungle, which I think you need. You're being stalked, you're going on the quest. Because you can't see anything. There was two parties. So I like the structure of the story, because you kept going between the two parties, who were both on different missions.
Gav: And you had to see stuff as well, which is quite good.
Dan: Yeah, you had the water stuff, you had, you know, it was like a video game almost. You had to get something from the sea, something from the land or something from the air. The dinosaurs were good, but for me, the best part about it was they brought horror back to the franchise.
Gav: A little bit, yeah.
Dan: There was very horrific stuff in it for kids, like as in the first Jurassic Park was the whole reason we have a PG-13 or a 12A in the UK. Because like Samuel L. Jackson's arm, that kind of thing, and you had chopped off arms, people being devoured in front of you in this new film. Also, the opening scene, apart from the final destinationy bit of it, which I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't seen it, was straight out of a Universal Horror film or something along those lines, or Alien or something, because the music, the lighting, and then when the logo for the Jurassic World just hits the screen and the score comes up, it felt like you were watching like an old Universal Horror film or something.
Gav: I didn't like that monster's design and we're outspawing it at the end. I thought it was stupid. I thought it was really fucking stupid looking. And it didn't, there was no real discussion beforehand of it. Or it was like, oh, they'd been trying to mutate a thing and building up to it or showing pictures of it. All of a sudden, it just shut in. Then it was gone, quick as it came. And it was a bit like, just don't bother or just have just another T-Rex or something. It didn't need to have that thing without spoiling it.
Dan: I agree with you that obviously the first one is the best.
Gav: It felt a bit pushed in by executives possibly.
Dan: This is definitely the best one since the first Chris Pratt one probably. That one was pretty good.
Gav: Jasset Weld was the right first one.
Dan: Yeah, but this is on a par, if not a little bit to me, a little bit better.
Gav: But Jasset Weld is pretty good as well though actually. I've seen it a few times.
Dan: But if you love dinosaurs guys, and he doesn't, and if you love Scarlett Johansson and he doesn't, you go check this out. It's got raptors with wings.
Gav: I didn't mind looking at it.
Dan: What the other good thing it does is, it pulls from bits from the first and second novel that were never put into the films, where they were working on mutated dinosaurs. So this isn't all the trailers, this isn't a spoiler. They go back to an island that was a research island where they experimented on these dinosaurs and tried to blend their DNAs. So you do get raptors that have been mutated with wings, and you get other dinosaurs that have mutated with other ones. And that sounds a bit whack, but they're not used too much. It's more about the normal sort of dinosaurs. And there were some great nods to Jaws, Alien and a couple of other bits and bobs in there. And they didn't bring back... What I liked was they didn't need to bring back any of the original cast. This is the first film that doesn't have Chris Pratt or any of the original trilogies cast in it, which was good.
Gav: They didn't need to.
Dan: It was strong enough.
Gav: I did feel that it was very forced at the beginning when Scarlett Hanson first came into it. And she's like, oh, we're going. She's like, oh, I'm just here. She sneaks into the cast. And it was all the first bit of the introduction before they started on the travel. Seemed clunky and a bit forced. Once you get past that, it's OK. Speaking of speaking of big, large animals in the sea and Jaws, I did watch with Daisy the Jaws documentary on Disney. It just came out for 50th anniversary.
Dan: Jaws 50. Yeah, I haven't watched it yet.
Gav: Yeah, it's good. It's worth a watch.
Dan: Yeah, that's why I watched Jaws before my Lord, actually, because it turned 50 this year.
Gav: Yeah, I watched it. I did also spend about six hours watching, back to the beginning, the Black Sabbath Aussie Farewell gig, which was fucking amazing, I think. There's a lot of bands I don't really know, but there's a lot of bands I did like, Pantera, Slayer, Metallica. But it was, it was, did you watch any of it? Do you know of it?
Dan: I haven't seen any of it. I know of it, but I haven't seen any of it.
Gav: But there's this bit where like on half way through, there's three drummers playing, like having drum solos, like Red Hot Chili Peppers drum and Blink-182 drum and then another drummer from Tall, while covering a Black Sabbath song. And then all just, for about, I don't know how long, there's just a song, then another song, then another song. But all these different instruments come on, all of a sudden there's Ronnie Woodward come on with a guitar from Rolling Stones. And with like three other guitars, different guitars and bands, they were jamming with each other. And then another, then Stephen Tyler came on and started singing Walk This Way. And they did that. And it was just like, what the fuck is going on? And it was like live aid and how sort of special, having all these acts together. It was like that, but for metal. Even though I did chat to my friend the other day who's proper metal and he's like doing fucking this to her, because he likes, he's full on metal. He likes the bands with all squiggly names. You can't understand. He's like, that's not metal. Okay, fair enough. But it was really good to all these just people would come on here and there. So you had like one point, Steven Tyler singing Walk This Way with Rage Against Machines guitarist, Chili Peppers drummer. And it's just like, what's going on? And because it's that, then Metallica came on. Then all of a sudden Guns N Roses came on. So, okay. And it was just like, it was an incredible thing. And they might be cutting it to play in cinemas.
Dan: Oh, that'd be cool.
Gav: Yeah. And I'd say go check it out. It's kind of quite a special thing. It felt like, and Ozzy, bless him. He was in his chair. A throne came up from the stage and he's a chair because he's got Parkinson's and spinal injury from the quad bike accident he had about 15 years ago. So he can't stand up. And at times he really wanted to stand up and sing because he had to sing sitting down. And it was his last gig. And he sang like, My Mum Coming Home or stuff. And he was like a bit teary and it's just like fucking hell. Yeah, it's really good though. Really, really good. Well worth it. Like really cool to see like Slayer. Just like this. And it's really cool. And Pantera come out and it's great. The lead singer just comes out like no socks or shoes, just short skinned t-shirt and he's like 50s or whatever. This is so cool. So yeah, I really enjoyed that. But what a movie, but it was pretty enjoyable visual telly.
Dan: That's cool. I've got a correction from our last episode.
Gav: Oh, you have? I know this.
Dan: Yeah. So just a little one.
Gav: We are business listeners. We are actually like me and Dan actually organize and sort shit out, you know.
Dan: This is for our patron Sheila, who actually is coming up in two episodes time with her patron pitch. She's our newest patron. Hi, Sheila. Just wanted to correct because obviously we said that we sent her t-shirt to her and that she lived in Salem. We were really buzzing about that, but she's corrected me and said, isn't Salem, Massachusetts?
Gav: It's not the witches.
Dan: It's not the witch one. She lives in Salem, Oregon. So there we go. So me and Sheila have been chatting quite a lot by email. But I just wanted to correct us. Correct us? So it's Oregon she lives in, not the Massachusetts. So there we go. Just wanted to correct that. And talking of listeners and patrons and all that kind of stuff, just also wanted to mention, Gav, I don't know if you've realized this, we've had a huge spike in the last sort of three months for some reason. People are really enjoying the episodes and we're getting a lot more downloads.
Gav: Because we're more frequent, I don't know.
Dan: I'm not sure, but the numbers are way up. So yeah, really pleased with that.
Gav: That's good. Thanks for listening, guys. I do appreciate it. If you like us, please do recommend us to your buddy who likes horror movies too, or just share us or a favorite episode or something. Please do that. Like us, comment, and always send us a mail. We can talk about stuff. You can always suggest episodes. I know you're not, even if you're not a patron, you could always possibly suggest an episode. You never know. Yeah, we like to interact with you guys, but thank you very much.
Dan: And your Sarah will be pleased to know that our strongest episode in the last year is The Greasy Strangler. For some reason, that episode, maybe more people really like The Greasy Strangler, that aren't really horror fans.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: But that one is the one that was Don's episode as well. Yeah. So Don, you've given us our highest rate, highest streamed and downloaded episode in about a year, weirdly.
Gav: That's really strange.
Dan: It is, isn't it?
Gav: I hope people liked it. I guess there's going to be a lot of fans out there. So some people might just search in podcasts and just search up Greasy Strangler. I want to just because I want to listen to it. I do it sometimes. I'm really into something at the moment. What podcast is doing that? Like a serial killer or something in the news or a certain movie or a band? Oh, what? You know, at the moment, I've been quite into like doing the behind the scene Ozzy Osbourne old interviews and stuff on YouTube because I hadn't seen them because I watched that. So maybe it's something like that. They're just searching up Greasy Stranglers or us, maybe.
Dan: Maybe they're typing it into Pornhub and it's taking them to us. Greasy Stranglers.
Gav: Weird if Pornhub is linked to us, that'd be really weird.
Dan: Well, there's stranger things that have happened. I have some updates on...
Gav: Maybe I spell it wrong. It's Greasy Strangers. They're looking at us both.
Dan: I have some updates on the spooky shenanigans in my house, but I'm going to hold on to that until we get to World Of The Strange. So, everything from me, is there anything more from you? We've covered dinosaurs, Superman, Greasy Strangers, Ozzy Osbourne.
Gav: I haven't really watched much too much, really. Been just sitting, kind of watching Family Guy. Been pretty busy recently.
Dan: Oh, you wanted to mention Family Guy, P. Diddy.
Gav: P. Diddy, yeah. Oh, actually, that's what I've been watching. It's the Friday movies. I've been, it's Friday, been up with them Friday the 13th. I also watched Friday and Friday After Next. I didn't go for the third one. I don't know if I've ever seen it. Watch Friday again because it's on Netflix. I know that movie Back To Front. I'm going to watch it again and it's a really, really good film actually still. It flies through with no, it's in no time, boom, it's gone and you're like, that's such a fun film.
Dan: It really is. Ice Cube wrote that. It's incredible that he and DJ Poo wrote that.
Gav: Yeah, because I know obviously range right now, in between just getting out of NWA and just sit off, sitting around, what am I going to do? Because that makes that after doing Death's certificate and et cetera in these solo albums. Anyway, really good. So then I was like, Friday after next, I'll watch that, which is just not really very good. It's really poor. It's a shame because there's some things in it which are good. His cousin who he goes to stay with, with the funny sock hat, is really good. He's quite funny. He's quite good. But then you've got this...
Dan: He's no Chris Tucker, though.
Gav: No, but then he's okay. But then you've got really forced gangster neighbors, Mexican gangster neighbors, who are so forced. The hat on, his eyes are not, the dialogue that comes out is like, it's not like, original Friday is quite natural. It's so forced to get jokes. It's not funny. But the reason I mention this, because it's Friday the 13th and they call it Friday, another reason was, because the whole pity thing is going on. Everyone knows what's going on and what's been happening with that dude and his baby or et cetera. So watch this movie. And Friday, Ice Cube is worried that Devo is going to get out of prison. So the second movie, he goes to stay with his uncle, who managed to win some money in the lottery. So he goes to stay with him, but his dad's a bit of a freak. He even says it at one point. And he turns up and he's just like in his dressing gown, and he's like, hey, nephew, come here, boy, and all that stuff. Then his girlfriend comes down and she's just rubbing herself all over. Ice Cube is like, what the fuck? What the fuck? You know, you're like, I'm my auntie, like fuck off. And at one point, they're smoking weed. And he's like, give me that. I'm a real puff daddy, he says. Smokes on sweet. Later on, Ice Cube, a letter comes from him, and he has to go up to his uncle and knock on the door and say, Uncle, you got a letter. About the house is going to go for clothes or something. And knocks on the door and just goes in, finds his uncle and the girlfriend just passed out in the room. And there's just dildos everywhere. Baby oil, leather gear, bondage everywhere. He's passed out on all sort of leathery clothes or whatever he's wearing. And she's like all bondage everything, like hat and everything he's wearing. She's like whatever. And the ice cube wakes up and he's like ah, just stands up and he starts squirting baby oil at ice cube to get him out of the room. And I was just like, this has to be P. Diddy. This has to be. It's literally, he said, I'm the real Puff Daddy. It literally must be ice cube going that guy's a freak. I'm fucking writing him in this movie. It has to be. Absolutely. Didn't know that time. Know that now. Weird. That's really weird. Check it out if you really want to watch that movie. It's not very good.
Dan: The third one is a Christmas film.
Gav: Oh my God. I've not seen it. It must be fucking appalling.
Dan: I've seen it.
Gav: It's bad.
Dan: It's not great. It's better than I thought it was going to be, but it wasn't, it wasn't great. Talking of Smoking Weed, did you know that they actually wanted to try and make, the next film we're about to cover was supposed to be of Jason Vs. Freddie. Obviously, they didn't come around to that too much later. And then they were like, well, who can Jason go up against? And at one point they had Jason Vs. Cheech and Chong. They wanted to bring back the Abbott and Costello style, Universal Monsters, and they were going to get Jason and Cheech and Chong in a movie together. How was that going to happen?
Gav: Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is a classic film which we covered for one of my birthday episodes because I love that film.
Dan: Cheech and Chong is made weird.
Gav: And that works, yeah. I don't know how that would work though.
Dan: Well it didn't work in the end. They didn't go for it. That was what New Line Cinema was really pushing for for a while.
Gav: It's alright. By December, they reckon AI. Grock, especially Elon Musk's AI will be able to make full movies by December without a single camera. So we can we can get the right prompts. Jason versus Cheech and Chong. We can then watch these films.
Dan: Be brilliant.
Gav: Yeah, that's the only thing I can feel AI is going to be no soul in it at all. If an AI is completely made a film, which is not it's never going to be the case. It's going to be prompt by artists, screenwriters and stuff. They still make prompts and stuff. I know it's a massive argument at the moment. I know it's quite a thing in Deadbolt as well, actually. So, you know, some people in Deadbolt don't like AI and I'm kind of like James Cameron, but let's use this shit, you know. But it's quite a thing at the moment going on about that. But, you know, it never captured proper films. But being able to do like stuff that we want to see, like, I want to see Arnold Schwarzenegger as Alice in Wonderland. I don't know. Do you know, man, as Alice or whatever. I don't know. You know, so it's a fun thing. Yeah, we will be able to do it and we'll see how that goes in the future. But anyway, AI is not going anywhere, like downloading the piracy, which people or filmmakers are pissed off about. That's like, you can have to just go along with it. So they start using statistics for that to say, oh, it's the most downloaded pirated film. Oh, OK, cool. You know, yeah, you have to go with it. But yeah, right.
Dan: All right, well, let's do it.
Gav: Shall we do it?
Dan: Let's go to Crystal Lake.
Gav: Let's get to the trailer.
Dan: Let's go to the trailer for Friday the 13th, part seven. The New Blood.
Friday The 13th Part 7: This is the one you've been waiting for. What's happening to me? Your psychokinesis and these delusions are... No, you're not listening to me! The one you've been asking for. Hey, Tina, isn't this the way they wear their jackets back in the mental hospital? Concentrate, concentrate, Tina! The one you've been dying for. You people give me the creeps. Okay, you big hunk of a man, come and get me. Jason is back. But this time, someone is waiting. And don't go in there! Friday the 13th, part 7, The New Blood. There goes the neighborhood.
Dan: Friday the 13th, part 7, The New Blood. That's a metaphor from 1988. Just an hour and 28 minutes.
Gav: I was going to do some sort of blowjob joke, but I'm out, you carry on.
Dan: Jason Voorhees is accidentally freed from his watery prison by a telekinetic teenager. Now, only she can stop him.
Gav: It doesn't say accidentally though, does it? Because that would be good.
Dan: It does say that.
Gav: What, with an axe?
Dan: Oh, no, not axe.
Gav: Axe-identally, like, scared.
Dan: I was going to say, it's not like she purposely freed him. You don't purposely free Jason Voorhees, do you? It's not something you want to do.
Gav: No, no, no.
Dan: I'm not going to go and regenerate Jason Voorhees.
Gav: This movie is quite an odd one, this movie, in a way. It's the same with this part 8, where it's like, right, we need to do something different, which is fine. And I'm all up for doing something different. And at no point do I go, this is terrible. It shouldn't be in the franchise. It's fine.
Dan: Yes, this is one of my weaker entries in the franchise, but still highly enjoyable. Now, there's some background to this. New Line was like, we're not going to do another Jason. And some of the sort of high ups were like, well, we make a lot of money from Jason films. So if you're going to do one, let's do something different. Let's do Freddy vs Jason. So this is back in 87. This film came out in 88.
Gav: And that was already existing property as in a comic, wasn't it?
Dan: I don't think it was at this point. I don't think that was until the nineties.
Gav: Right. Oh, okay. Yeah. So they, then maybe they did the comic first. Yeah. Okay.
Dan: But they didn't want to do it. They couldn't get it to work and they didn't want to do it. So then they said, what else is popular right now? I've talked about Jason Chong. That was sort of thought about as well. They definitely wanted Jason up against somebody. So what they did was they looked at what was popular, Stephen King. So they actually, I believe they reached out to Stephen King's sort of admin or whatever you call it and said, can we use one of your characters? And they were like, no. What did you have in mind? We wanted Stephen Jason versus Carrie. No, you can't use Carrie. So like, all right, no worries. We'll just write a character exactly like Carrie, which is why you've got this telekinetic girl in it. Now, I think one of the stronger parts of this is that there is a character in this who's got telekinetic powers. I love the way that she regenerates Jason and we'll get into that when we get into it. I love her trauma that she's got going on. I love the doctor that's got ulterior motives. So I love all of that. But the problem with this film, which a lot of fans will talk about is, some people call this, Friday the 13th, part seven, The No Blood, because there's no blood in this really. And that's because they were worried about it being too brutal and bloody, because Jason had become a bit more of a household name by this point. And they wanted younger kids to perhaps try and see this.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And the studio was very nervous about it. For some reason, they were really nervous about it. So most of the kills either happen off screen or cut away just as the chop or whatever it is happens.
Gav: Yeah. I messaged you, didn't I, over this?
Dan: No. There is... They did shoot all the scenes bloody and brutal. Sadly, all of those dailies and all of that raw footage got destroyed in a fire. So we'll never, ever, ever see the full version, the uncut, because that would have been out by now. If we had got that, someone would have put that together, and we would have loved to see that. So all we've got is this, and it's still rated R, because there's a lot of boobs in it, the implication of the deaths is pretty brutal. But as Jason fans, we want to see the limbs, we want to see the throat cuts properly. We don't get that with this film, sadly. But thankfully, you've got the telekinesis and a few other fun moments with it. And this is the first time that Kane Hodder puts the mask on.
Gav: Okay, good. I like Kane. I've even met him. Yeah, I did have... I messaged you because you said about the kills are good, and I watched it. And it's such a shame, in a way, as a reviewer watching films, it takes the fun out of it, because I'm actually having to review it in a critique. And I'm doing it as an eye as a filmmaker as well. And a fan. So I was watching this and the kills are just like, I knew exactly what's happening as an editor myself. I knew exactly what's happened. Those kills were there, but they've just chopped it in, because some of the edits, just as a kill, some of the edits are really quite bad. It's like, why are you kind of there? And also, obviously, because they're just taking out all gore almost entirely. It's like, you still got that classic hit against the sleeping bag, hit against a tree, which is fucking brilliant and easy, because you don't even need a body in there or anything. It's literally just someone swing a sleeping bag against a tree, but it just works because you put sound effects to it. And that's a memorable one of the whole franchise, because it's a fun, inventive kill. But the kills, unfortunately, they're extremely lackluster because of these reasons, I guess. Part 8 is the same. We're going through the kills as we go through the film, and I'll diss most of them, unfortunately.
Dan: The other strange thing about this film and Jason Takes Manhattan is they're the only two movies in the franchise to not use the traditional score. They have the ch ch ch a little bit, but they don't have that traditional score.
Gav: Yeah, well, that's Jason's motif, though it sounds. That's when you know the kid is near, so that has to almost got to be used. But yeah, the actual original score, true. Henry Manfredi might not have liked, I don't know, must be at that point and be like, I'm not doing it anymore. I don't know, though, because once they own the music from another film, they could always revisit and just play the same film's score from the original.
Dan: I think they just wanted to do something different, really.
Gav: Yeah, and obviously they're trying to do something different with this. Like you say, it's the same with part eight, when they're like, what should we do? We need to get him out of there. Let's go Jason Takes Manhattan. Let's go somewhere else. So I like the fact that they're trying to do something different for sure. It's a strange film. It starts with a narration. There's a killer around here. Jason's what they call him. And just going on, it's quite strange.
Dan: Do you know who does the narration?
Gav: Who was it?
Dan: Crazy Ralph.
Gav: Oh, nice.
Dan: The actor that played Crazy Ralph. They got him back just to do the narration.
Gav: Oh, OK. But you wouldn't have known that. So OK. But that's a nice little nod for proper fans. And again, straight away, it's a different... None of the Jason films have started like this before. So it's quite a different way of doing it. So I'm like, yeah, cool. And I was watching it again. I don't really remember it because it's one of the ones I probably would have gone with. Oh, fuck it. I'll watch part three. I'll watch part four or whatever. And I wouldn't have hit this one up so much. So it's interesting watching it again for this. And I didn't mind it at all whatsoever.
Dan: No, like I said, my strongest, the thing for me that's strongest is the girl with the telekinesis up against Jason, because Jason's never come up against anybody who's got supernatural powers. And it does push the boundaries of the Jason rules, as it were, because you never normally have that. But there really aren't rules with the Jason movies.
Gav: Not really.
Dan: He's been regenerated with electricity. He's turned back into a mutant child.
Gav: Rules are made up as the films went on. And then they wouldn't keep to those rules anyway. The next director comes in, he'll do something else. This first bit, though, has a lot of flashbacks to other shots from other films. Just describing Jason. But it kind of makes it feel a little bit like a trailer. You know, it doesn't feel like the beginning of a film. It's a bit like, this is a bit weird. But fair enough.
Dan: Yeah, yeah. And you see clips of Corey Feldman. Then you see... It does link in nicely with part six. Because obviously at the end of part six, adult Tommy does wrap a chain around Jason in the middle of the lake and drop a big weight down.
Gav: Oh, right.
Dan: And that's where we see, you know, that's where Jason still is. He's down. And crazy Ralph's narration says, some say he's still down there, waiting at the bottom of Crystal Lake. And then you see like this body just underneath loads of like debris.
Gav: It does feel like they're trying to make it a continuation of the last film, you know, almost like having it like this. But fair enough, it's different. It's so interesting. It's maybe for the audience. What year did the movie before it come out?
Dan: Um, I think it was 80 would have been the year before.
Gav: Literally the year before. OK, it's not like people have forgotten who Jason was, though, is it? And the thing is, maybe people weren't going into cinema the last two movies so much, so that's why they're like, his name is Jason and give like explaining who he is.
Dan: I think people pick up and put down the Jason movies as and when they want. They're for people who aren't like true horror fans if they want. So it doesn't matter if they don't make sense in order, but also for the true Jason fans, they do actually secretly tie them together in a very loose way. So I do think they work well for both seasoned horror fans and people who were just casual horror fans as well.
Gav: Yeah, totally. It's fine, it's fine.
Dan: And yeah, The Credits Roll, Cain Hodder, that traditional font that we see, Jason at the bottom of the lake. And then we see a little flashback for our main character, which is Tina. And Tina, when she was a little girl, she overheard her dad beating up her mum at Crystal Lake.
Gav: I wasn't laughing at the domestic abuse, just to say.
Dan: And she hears them outside and he's drunk. And she says, you hit her again, daddy, I hate you. She runs off and he's like, oh my god, come back, Tina, come back. Now, they've made her look exactly like Carol Ann from Poltergeist as well. So not only are they doing the Carrie thing, they've made her look like this little girl that just like Carol Ann as well.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Little blonde girl. Yeah. So they're trying, you know, they're cashing in everything they can.
Gav: I've got a small girl like Carol Ann.
Dan: Yeah, exactly, exactly. So dad chases her, you know, come back, honey, I love you. I didn't really mean to beat up mummy. I'm just drunk, sorry.
Gav: It's just, it's just Saturday.
Dan: It's just the Jack Daniels, come on.
Gav: Saturday afternoon, the wrestling's about to start and I'm drunk, you know.
Dan: And she gets on a boat and she rows out into the middle of Camp Crystal Lake. She says, I hate you, daddy, I hate you. And then her emotions unleash the first sort of telekinesis powers that she's got.
Gav: I guess it makes sense. You need something which is a hard thing in a child's eyes, which is their parents fighting and an actual physical abuse or an actual punch or whatever is probably like the worst thing. So obviously this has not happened before, but this event is the most traumatic this person has experienced. So this power flows out. And what happens, Dan? What happens to papa?
Dan: The water, so he's stood on the edge of the docks, like the pier, and she's like, I hate you. And her raw emotion comes out, the water starts to ripple. And all of a sudden you've got this really cool practical effect with the pier sways from side to side and the actor on it, the dad is like, Oh my God.
Gav: It doesn't really cool. At this point here though, you're like, is this a Friday the 13th if I put the wrong film in? Admittedly, we had the beginning opening to explain Jason, but this is like a different film. This is a different horror movie right now. This is a Drew Braymore and Firestar or something.
Dan: Yeah, well, and that's what they were trying. That's what they were going for. They were going for the Stephen King films that were doing really well at this time, straight to video.
Gav: Stephen King's Pen comes into the next film.
Dan: Well, is that and that's another nod to it as well. Yeah, you know, in the next film. Yes. And then eventually, of course, the pier collapses with her dad and all the wood falls on him and drags him down to the bottom of the ocean and he dies. And she's killed her dad with her psychic powers. Although at the time, they don't know psychic powers.
Gav: No, they're probably just, right, that just happened.
Dan: That was weird. Well, what happened to your husband? Well, my daughter, he beat me up. Act of God. And then my daughter screamed, I hate you, and then the pier collapsed into the lake and he died.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Well, that's unfortunate. Well, cut to adult Tina and her mum.
Gav: I was really confused. I thought that it was like a halfway house of kids because we already had that Friday the 13th. And I thought that this was the same thing. So I was really confused who people were, what was going on? It doesn't take much to make you confused.
Dan: No, we're not going back to the place. We're not going back to the kid with the chocolate bar.
Gav: Oh, with his ice cream. No, it's the chocolate bar. Well, that's it. That's it.
Dan: You know something? You could be a real jerk. Chop, chop, chop with the axe. What a way to go back here now. Do you want some more ice cream? No, I don't. I'm going to chop you up with this axe.
Gav: So I assumed it was a house for troubled kids, but it's not. You got Tina and her mum in one house. The next door is like someone's grandparents or uncle's house, and they're just fucking partying at it. But I was a bit confused. It didn't make this a little clearer to some of our stupid people. That's me. And if I'm stupid, other people are stupid too.
Dan: So to break it down, Tina is in and out of a mental hospital.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And her mum has been persuaded by Tina's doctor, Dr. Cruz, who's a real sleazebag. Dr. Cruz. He thinks it's a great idea for her to go back to the scene of the trauma when she was a child, the house that the family still owns on the edge of Crystal Lake where her dad died before her very eyes.
Gav: Don't go like water, in the water you go.
Dan: So she's driving there with her mum to have some treatment with the doctor. And as you say, Gav, there's a house next door, a cabin next door that's owned by an uncle and an auntie, and their son is throwing a surprise party for their cousin there basically. So there's a gaggle of teenagers, Dr. Cruiser. Just right for Jason to slash through. They've got loads of weed and pizza and beers and sex, boobs and everything. So they're all there and there's some great characters we'll get into in a moment when we get to those guys. So yeah, that's the two houses that Jason's going to be ripping apart. And they arrive and there's Dr. Cruiser, or as Tina calls him, Bad News Cruz. And she says, oh, here he is. And he's like, hey, Tina. And she's like, I'm not sure if I really want to be back. And he's like, well, you don't want to go back to the mental hospital, do you, Tina? So it's either this or that. Which one is it going to be? So he's always pushing her. And there's a reason he's pushing her emotions. And we'll find that out a bit later on.
Gav: I'm glad you're not my doctor, because that's quite intimidating the way you're doing that. And you look right into the camera, you look right into it, like you're looking at right into my soul, saying this to me.
Dan: Do you want to go back to the mental hospital again?
Gav: He gave me trauma from when I was in the mental hospital.
Dan: But the reason he's doing this for anyone who doesn't care about spoilers, but we always spoil these, is because he knows that she's got these telekinetic powers. And he knows that emotion, high emotion, triggers them. So all the way through this film, he is trying to push her and push her and push her.
Gav: It's like Haunted Honeymoon, isn't it?
Dan: Oh, yes.
Gav: We're going to scare him to death. Yeah.
Dan: I know that one of you is a werewolf.
Gav: I know that one of you is a werewolf.
Dan: Fantastic film. Also covered that film as well. So, yeah, we do see the cabin with some girls sunbathing from that party cabin next door. And they're like, who's this girl that's just arrived? And obviously, it's Tina. And she's all sort of like... And they walk in the cabin and Dr. Crew says to Tina, we're going to make progress this weekend. I can feel it. This is where we're going to really fix you. Tina drops all of her pants and underwear out of her suitcase and a big hunky fellow from the party cabin called Nick comes over.
Gav: And he's like, I'm looking at a picture now of him picking up her panties.
Dan: He's hunky.
Gav: And he actually looks like a young Christopher Reeve.
Dan: He does.
Gav: You're looking at it now. And he really looks like Christopher Reeve.
Dan: Big broad shoulders tall guy. And he says, can I help you? And Tina's like, I can do it myself.
Gav: He's got some nice high top Nikes as well.
Dan: Good lad. And while he's helping her, the bitchy girls from the other cabin are like, oh, look at Nick. He's so hot. Why is he talking to that trash? Oh, and so, yeah, we're already setting up this sort of thing. You know, they've literally been at the cabin for two minutes, Gav, and the doctor is like, come in, sit down at the desk. Here's my video camera in your face. She's like, whoa, whoa, whoa, we're starting it now. And he's like, yeah, we're already late, but late behind schedule, Tina. We need to get started on this.
Gav: It's basically like a Bill Murray goes, not you, Bill. You're in later. Yeah. I know I said your name. Not now. I'm just referencing you in a movie. Okay.
Dan: You're poking him up.
Gav: Go back to sleep. Go to sleep, little Billy. Okay. He's gone back to sleep with a whiskey in his hand. Right. It's like when Bill Murray, he didn't wake up, has to do the tests and Ghostbusters really, isn't it? But this guy, he's like, well, I've got a camcorder. I'm going to film you. I need you to use your mind and move stuff for me.
Dan: And she says to him, she says, I keep having visions. Why am I seeing these things? This is all your hallucinations are all part of like your PTSD, your childhood trauma. So I know you can move things with your mind. So he puts a box of matches on the table and he says, move it. She's like, I can't. And then he starts saying, your dad died because of you, Tina. This is all your fault. You are going to go back to the cuckoo's nest in a minute. If you don't, and while he's saying all of this stuff to get a rise out of her, of course, the box of matches moves.
Gav: And that's her intention. She says, he says, how did that happen? She goes, I was thinking about you, which obviously she's pissed off with him and that's how it happened. You got to think that if you're the doctor, I might be a little bit more careful. This not pissed off too much. She might actually kill me like her father. There's no safety barrier. It's not like you can hang cuff her up to radiate you and she can't get you. It doesn't matter. So you need to play this kind of coolie if you're the doctor, Dr. Cruisin.
Dan: Well, he finds out because he then pushes her a little bit more and says all of your guilt that you've suppressed from killing your dad. And as he's trying to really push her, the boxer matches catch his fire.
Gav: Exactly.
Dan: And she runs out of the room upset.
Gav: Jesus Christ. Cut to shagging in advance. Don't come a-knocking. This van is a rockin.
Dan: Yeah, of course, it wouldn't be a Jason movie if we didn't have a sex scene quite early on. So yeah, there's a couple having some sex in the van.
Gav: I thought, what in the van? They've got a bedroom in there, but obviously it's the uncle's house. And they said themselves, why are we doing it in the van? We could be inside the house. Pretty sure they do actually.
Dan: I think it's just because there's loads of people there.
Gav: They just want a bit of privacy in the van. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah. The cabin has quite an evil dead type vibe to it, doesn't it?
Dan: Yeah, yeah, it does, yeah.
Gav: It's not bad, actually.
Dan: She's wandering around, Tina, in the cabin. And obviously she hasn't been back here since she was a kid. She sees some photos of her dad. She starts crying. She says, I miss him, mum. She says, I miss him too, honey.
Gav: But you killed him, you bitch. She's like, I wish I could bring you back. And I was also there. Yeah, she is very funny. She's looking at the water gun. I wish I could bring you back. And she feels something in the water. Her powers isn't just that it's like she can feel stuff. She feels as a soul in the water.
Dan: Yes. The presence almost.
Gav: Yeah. But obviously. And she's like, oh, maybe it's my dad. Why would it be your dad? Why is he in the water now? Well, I did kill him. And yeah, but they probably didn't leave his body in the water. They probably took it out and he probably had a funeral. Anyway, she's like, that must be my dad. No, it's not. It's a fucking serial killer. He's chained up down there to not come out. Anyway, regardless of that, she brings the fucking Jason back, doesn't she?
Dan: She uses her full telekinesis power to try and bring her dad back. But she almost like when people use a Ouija board. When people use a Ouija board and they get the wrong spirit come through. This is what happens here. Jason's like, oh, brilliant, I'm awake.
Gav: Instead of using my powers, maybe I'll use my brain, first of all.
Dan: And his eye opens under the water and he wakes up.
Gav: And Jason comes up and she's surprised it's not daddy.
Dan: Yeah, it's a big hulking, a big hulking Kane Hodder in a mask. I just make up a fact.
Gav: I just thought who we can have a versus. Jason versus P Diddy. Just be wrong, it be falling over, falling in baby oil and shit, and they'd be like, oh, they'd be getting a dildo penetrating him.
Dan: Jesus Christ, do you think P Diddy would win?
Gav: I think P Diddy would win. I think P Diddy would rock his world in a bad way. Shh, shh, shh. Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah.
Dan: So good effects with Jason, because the first proper shot you see of him full body is his back, and you get to see his full spine, because he's rotted under that water, and you can see his whole spine through his skin. It just looks so good. And although he wears a mask for the most of this, the rossing effects for the rest of his body are great. And he's got a chain around his neck for most of this movie as well. A bit like a rapper.
Gav: Flavour Flav.
Dan: Flavour Flav.
Gav: Flavour Flav versus Jason.
Dan: And like you say, she's surprised it isn't daddy. Who the fuck is this hockey wearing mask giant man that's rotting? She thinks.
Gav: Yeah, I actually, yeah, which is weird. So Jason just comes out and walks past like, fuck that. She's gone. I'm just going to fucking go. Brilliant. I'm up. I'm fucking, basically, I'm a lion or a shark, and essentially a predator because I'm not like P. Diddy. It's a different type of predator. I am going to, or Jimmy Savile. I am going to just go fucking, as soon as I'm brought out the war, I'm going to kill and murder. That's what I do.
Dan: That's what he does.
Gav: And I love it. He's just like, don't care that person passed out. No, literally, there's no hunt there. It's like predator or something. I'm fucking going for it. And straight in there, I do. And I realize at this point, I've not seen this movie much and I'm liking this film. It's weird. And I kind of like it.
Dan: I do as well. And actually, the more we talk about it, the more I appreciate it. Although I've said it's one of the weaker for me. It's still fun.
Gav: Yeah, but you and I have talked about movies before and I've enjoyed our conversation for an hour and a half, a lot more sometimes than the film itself.
Dan: That's true. Lempricorn franchise. So, Tina's mum and Dr. Cruise take her inside and they grill her. What happened? And she's like, a man came out of the water. And he's like, these are your hallucinations, Tina, for God's sake.
Gav: That's the next one, the head teacher the whole time. Jason is not around. What are you talking about?
Dan: Well, that's because that was supposed to be a direct sequel to this. But we'll get into that.
Gav: That kind of makes sense because I was at one point going, What's going on? There's no explanation.
Dan: In the next one, the girl was supposed to be Tina, but the actress didn't want to come back, so they had to rewrite it.
Gav: That's good that we're covering both these films in. And that actually explains, because at one point I was almost WhatsApp-ed you earlier, saying, you need to explain to me what the fuck is going on with Reddy.
Dan: Well, much like the Tommy Jarvis trilogy of the Jasons, they were going to have the Tina trilogy, where she would, and they were going to do three films with her. But the actress didn't want to come back, so they ended up rewriting Jason Takes Manhattan.
Gav: What was she doing?
Dan: Don't know.
Gav: Do the movie. Spore, spore.
Dan: Do the movie. We see another couple, this time their car's broken down. It's the classic Jason.
Gav: It's his birthday, isn't it?
Dan: What are we going to do? Have to hike through the woods.
Gav: Well, get all the bags, love, and we're going to hike through the woods. Right, OK.
Dan: And this is where it was revealed, Michael, it's your birthday, I know, and I'm going to ruin this for you, but it's a surprise party. All of your friends and cousins are here in the cabin. We just got to get there. So let's hike through these dark woods late at night. All right, then, let's go. So this is a hike.
Gav: And this is our first kill, basically. She gets spiked in the head. We don't see it. No suspense whatsoever. And it's very lackluster. There's just, I do find with this and part eight, literally it's about, okay, but there's a quota. These characters, especially part eight, this character has no lines whatsoever. They were in the film earlier on just for a little bit, but now we're going to kill them. And they are literally just four killing. That is all they are. It's a body count.
Dan: I think that started earlier in the franchise though, because you will get people who were just, I remember the girl eating a banana in one of the episodes. Yeah, someone just turns up and two minutes later they are killed by Jason.
Gav: Yeah, and I think that's the quote that they are going forward in making this film. And that's what they are doing for.
Dan: But the audience knows, as soon as they see a new couple whose car is broken down or whatever, they are going to die in the next five minutes.
Gav: But the problem is though, they have gone and done that, and they have overshadowed the fact that they need to add a little bit of suspense. Do you know what I mean? It's like, come on, we've got to kill, we've got to kill, we've got to kill. But hang on, we can do that, but let's just have a little bit more suspense, a bit more like, oh, what's that? What's going on? A bit more creepiness, you know? But it's fine, it is what it is. They know what they are. You know what you're getting when you watched a movie. I'm not, it's not a Hitchcock directing it, so fair enough, whatever.
Dan: There is one character's death, which feels really forced, which we'll get to.
Gav: OK, and I was going to say, she goes outside when the reason comes back. And both the films, there is like death, which are OK. I'm not like this and all of them. It's just like the sleep. It's a sleeping bag against trees, but classic. So, you know.
Dan: So Hunky Nick comes knocking on Tina's door and he says, I brought your underwear back. And she's like, I'm sorry, I was a bit of a bitch. She says, it's fine. Do you want to come to a party? Yes, I do. Straight away, she's like, brilliant. So he's invited her to the birthday party.
Gav: By the way, the man a minute ago, she was killed by the man is stabbed in the back, which is pretty weak.
Dan: But yeah, I don't think we got to that. But yeah, we.
Gav: Oh, sorry. I thought, sorry, I hadn't put the note in there of what you just said. Then I've just jumped to that. Sorry. It's my next night.
Dan: That's all right.
Gav: No, I thought you'd bypass. I was just saying, let's just say how he died. But anyway, it's fairly that luster. It's not really worth discussing to be honest with you.
Dan: Okay. Well, Fina's invited to the party. She says yes. Her mum's like, go on, you need to let off some steam. And the doctor's like, where's she going? She's going to be a young girl and go to a party. Is that all right? And he's like, oh, okay. But I don't think we should interrupt my experiments. But obviously she goes off to the party anyway. And then, yes, Jason does stalk Michael, the couple just from just now, and Jane. Michael says, I need to go pee. Jason kills Jane and pins her to a tree. This is the film, really, where Jason really starts his decorating of dead bodies. He loves displaying them.
Gav: Which is going back to, say, Jack the Ripper, for example, as a trait some serial killers really like doing, especially taking trophies as well. I just wouldn't be surprised if Jason probably, like with his mum's card and the clove in his mum's body, would probably take the old trophy here and there after he'd killed them or wander around pulling stuff off of them, which we don't see. I can imagine that.
Dan: That'd make a good little decoration from a coffee table.
Gav: Yeah, yeah. I'm thinking of a Universal Soldier. I'm all ears.
Dan: He pulls the knife out of her when Michael discovers her and the body falls down and then he kills Michael, but you don't really see it, unfortunately. So that's that.
Gav: Boo to that death.
Dan: No, it gets interesting now because we're at that party. Nick arrives with this random girl, says, Hey everybody, this is Tina. She's my guest at this party. They're like, where the fuck have you got a random girl from? We're in the middle of the woods.
Gav: Where have you got a guest from? You're so hunky, you've just got a girl. The forest just birthed a female of your age.
Dan: He says to everybody, this is where we meet Eddie. Eddie is the science fiction nerd who likes to write science fiction novels.
Gav: It's not the stock exchange nerds, is it? Oh, it might be. No, no, okay, cool.
Dan: And Eddie's like, I'm writing a novel at the moment, and he basically loves Star Wars and anything to do with science fiction. So he's all the way through this. He's like a real nerd. He's a virgin as well, you know, and he's he's just he gets used by we've all been there. He gets used by Melissa later on. Outside, we get a little fresh POV of Jason, who is absolutely fuming that these teenagers are having a party in a cabin.
Gav: He's not fuming it, but the thing is, though, it's like people on Facebook moan about shit. They enjoy moaning about shit. They love doing it. That's their thing. They may moan about it, but they're like, I can't wait to get on Facebook and fucking moan about that person. Oh, I was parking early and someone in the fucking door. They love doing it. Even though they're moaning and trying to say it's a bad, oh, it's made my day really bad. Yeah, you're telling us and you want your likes. It's like Jason, they're like doing that part in. He's looking at them going, fucking part in. I bet they're fucking shagging up there and I bet they're fucking got a bong up in that window. Right, that's it. Right, I'm going to get my machete and I'm fucking stabbing them all. He loves it. In secret, he's like, yay.
Dan: And the reason I say he's fuming is because Kane Hodder brings to the character something new, which is almost emotion in that the way he breathes with his big chest when he gets angrier about stuff, you know, it's almost like you can tell when he's angry.
Gav: An actual person or the soul. I actually chatted to Kane Hodder about acting because I was chatting to him about hatchet because at the time I was a fairly new dad and I was talking to him about how I looked at his performance in that and I thought you did really good work and I said, I know you're trying to get into more acting stuff and portrayed that sympathetic dad who's got a child who's a bit different and I thought it was really good. He said, oh, thanks so much and he really appreciated that. And I really didn't think that was quite good. And I just think he's actually quite good at Kane Hodder. I think he can bring a bit more acting, even though it's obviously physical acting, it's not a voice or anything facial. He can still bring something to that. And that's why some of these people carry on and stay on doing these things. That's why everyone was pissed off he wasn't in Jason versus Freddie because it should have been him versus Robert England, Kane Hodder, you know, it should have been.
Dan: And he's an incredible stunt man as well. He did all his own stunts in this, particularly one stunt which we'll talk about, a Guinness World Record towards the end of this, which we'll talk about. So, Melissa is introduced to, sorry, Tina's introduced to everybody. I won't go through them all, but one main girl is Melissa the bitch, who really is quite mean to Tina later on. And then Tina suddenly gets a vision of Nick's cousin dead in the kitchen. She runs off upset and goes back to her mom and says, I saw the man in the lake again. And the doctor says, oh, more delusions, Tina. She says, what if you, go on.
Gav: No, no, no, okay.
Dan: He says, if he, she says, if you think it's a delusion, then you should come and see, there's a big spike in the back of the porch. So they go out of there and the spike's gone.
Gav: Yeah, that's true.
Dan: Because the doctor has taken it and put it in his desk.
Gav: Just before this, you got, I guess it's the dude whose uncle owns the house. He comes in, he's really unhappy that the place is untidy. And he says, it's like closing time at a stock exchange here. My note is fucking nerd.
Dan: He's like, why are you eating all my uncle's food? The fuck off? If you put a load of 16, 17, 18 year olds in a cabin full of pizzas, they're going to go crazy.
Gav: I literally went and hanged out with my buddies the other day, which happened to me for years. And we used to skate together and hang out. My parents used to always go away weekends. So Saturday night, everyone would be around my house. And they had some stories. I remember that time when Andy just threw squash bananas and threw them at your conservatory windows and just let them know, yeah, I found them the next day. And it just happens with youth and partying and stuff. It just happens. You can't say, it was like stock exchange. Shut up. You know.
Dan: So the doctor has taken the spike that Tina saw and he's hidden it. That will come back up later on, but that's the little jumper head spoilers for everybody.
Gav: Got to keep the kills up though. So we got a random couple camping in the woods.
Dan: Well, his name's Dan and he's got a girlfriend. And they're sat by a campfire.
Gav: I worked the other day somewhere and a security guard there who asked me to do some work when he was there while I was there. I was in a bank and he was the Asian Dan Bone. He looked like you, but was Asian. It was so odd and he didn't sound like you, but he was quite like you. It was so weird. I don't even know what I'm telling you. It just popped in my head.
Dan: Fantastic. Well, this character Dan and his girlfriend are by a campfire. And he says to her, I need to get some more wood. And then he says, I'll be back. Does a little irony, which is great. He goes off to get the wood.
Gav: She should have said, do you need to get some more wood? Then he'd flash his penis to her and said, nope.
Dan: Well, she's horny because she strips off in the tent waiting for him, thinking when he comes back, I'll give him some wood.
Gav: Has she got a penis?
Dan: She hasn't, no. She'll make him horny. Sorry, that didn't translate. Dan is chopping up wood with a machete, which as we know is Jason's weapon of choice. You're giving him his weapon here as well. Jason comes up behind him and punches him through the back, almost does a Mortal Kombat move on him.
Gav: But you don't really see it in this frame, man.
Dan: You don't really see it.
Gav: Most of the kills though.
Dan: Then he grabs the machete and he goes up to the tent and Tina says, Dan, is that you? It's not Dan, it's Jason. He slices through the tent, pulls her out in her sleeping bag, and as we all know, picks it up, smashes it against a tree and walks off. Now, that is one of the most memorable kills from the whole of the Brother The 13th series. It's repeated actually in Jason X.
Gav: It's a classic, absolutely.
Dan: But the funny thing about it is Kane Hodder was so pissed off filming this scene because the weights that were in the bag were really, really heavy, and he had to do that shot loads and loads of times. And he was so tired, it was like 2 a.m., he was picking this bag of weights up and hitting it against a tree, and the last shot was the one that they used in the end, but they cut away from him, and I wish they had left this bit in. Apparently after the sleeping bag falls down, he then kicks it in what would be the head, and then walks off. And I wish that Jason would have done that, and then kicked it in the head, and then walked off. But they cut away from it before you see that.
Gav: But King Harder, bless him. They could have done it differently. I suppose you'd probably need the weights, I guess. But that girl, that girl, they could probably do like 50 kilograms of weights. I know, it's quite a lot, I suppose.
Dan: He's a big guy, King, isn't he?
Gav: That's not too bad. Anyway, what am I saying? It's two o'clock in the morning. I've been filming for fucking 10 outdoor events.
Dan: In a really big Jason costume. So the morning time, and everyone in the party cabin is having breakfast. Is Michael turned up yet? It's his birthday party. No one's seen him. Well, we know where he is. He's dead in the woods. There's a kid there called Ben who reminds me of a young Jordan Peele. Do you know the guy? I mean, Ben. He looks like a young Jordan Peele.
Gav: I can't remember him.
Dan: OK, well, so we got him there and another girl that his girlfriend are there. So we're seeing there's more people that have been upstairs getting their end away. Nick and Tina are getting to know each other outside, and she gives her a back story, basically. You know, my dad died here and I'm here with my doctor to try and not go back to the mental hospital. And while all this is going on, Melissa is spying on them. So she hears all of the gossip. She's like, great, well, I want Nick. So I'm going to use all of this against her to humiliate her later on. And then Nick kisses Tina. And Melissa sees this and she's like, I'm definitely going to use this mental hospital stuff to humiliate her later on. So in the party cabin, the girls are fighting over one of the stoner guys, because I don't know why they think he's the hottest. I think it's because he's got loads of weed on him. But they're all arguing over him. And one of them is a geeky girl, one of them is not. And the hot one says, look, no offense to you, I've come here to get laid. You're a bit of a geek, so let me have the guy, all right? And they're all in there. And he's like, whoop, whoop, the Colombian Express is pulling out, who wants to get high with me? And they all go in the living room to smoke weed, and that's all cool, and it's all very Jason. And Melissa says to the guy with the, the nerdy sci-fi guy, put your jacket on backwards, like a straight jacket. So he does, because he fancies Melissa. And then she says, hey, Tina, is this how they make you wear the jackets in the mental hospital? And this triggers Tina, who makes her pearl necklace strangle Melissa a little bit, and then it snaps and the pearls go everywhere. You're laughing at pearl necklace, aren't you?
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Gav, can you explain to our listeners who don't know what a pearl necklace is?
Gav: Yeah, it's when a man's jaculet goes around a lady's neck, like a necklace.
Dan: That's why Gav's laughing. Love it. This obviously triggers Tina, she almost kills Melissa.
Gav: Or a man's jaculet goes around a man's neck. Yeah, just what would play that one as well.
Dan: Do you know what the Spider-Man is?
Gav: No.
Dan: Oh, it's where you finish in your own hand and then you flick it into the woman's face. There we go.
Gav: All right. Yeah, just just write that down.
Dan: Spider-Man.
Gav: Got a new game, Sarah. Oh, she's listening. No, so I can't play the game.
Dan: Um, so Tina is upset that she's always killed Melissa. She runs back and tells the doctor what's happened, starts freaking out. The doctor starts shouting at her. There's a bit of an argument and she makes the TV lifter. And it's an old TV. This is the eighties. You know, the TVs were very heavy back then and it flies across the room and just misses him. So she's, you know, her powers are getting out of control. Now she runs off with Nick and says, I need something weird is happening. I need to get out of here. No one believes me that there's this guy and I'm having these visions. And then she just says, by the way, Nick, I think your cousin Michael isn't going to show up. I think he's dead. And she just kind of leaves Nick there. But like, what do you mean? My cousin's dead. This is his birthday party, for fuck's sake. You can't just drop that on me.
Gav: Yeah. But, you know, it's just a skinny dip in there.
Dan: Yes. So one of the couples goes out by the lake. Yeah. And of course, it's midnight.
Gav: It's a lake. Naked time.
Dan: She says, come on, let's go. She gets, she strips down to absolutely nothing and jumps in the lake. And Russell, the guy, the stock exchange guy from earlier, says, oh, OK, let me get my clothes off, too. While he's getting his clothes off, he gets his head chopped off. But we don't see it. Jason does it, but it's kind of not really there. Jason, however, does quite a few movie influences in this film, one of them being Jaws.
Gav: OK.
Dan: Also, Jason, in this movie, learns to teleport. Have you noticed that he can teleport? He does it in Manhattan as well. He just appears in places, like one of the things behind you and then he's in front of you.
Gav: In Manhattan, he's on the boat and all of a sudden he's right at the top of the lad on the crow's nest. How did you get there so quickly? I thought I heard you when I watched it.
Dan: And in Manhattan, there's a bit where the guy runs into an empty derelict building.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And then Jason throws it out the window. Well, Jason was outside the building just now. How did he get in the building?
Gav: Special powers.
Dan: But yeah, he teleports into the water and pulls a Bruce the Shark and kills the girl in the water as well. So he's got another couple of kills in the movie there. Cut back to the part in crazy science fiction, Eddie is saying, I'm pretending to be a mummy. Hey, I could write a movie called Star Mummy. And I thought to myself, Gav and I would watch a film called Star Mummy.
Gav: Yeah, I might moan about it, but I watch it.
Dan: Yeah, then they're playing music. No one really seems to be having a good time. Some of them have had an argument. Some of them are trying to hook up and it's not going well. Nerd girl from earlier decides, I will get the stoner guy and I'm going to go up to the bedroom. I'm going to make myself hot. So she goes up and gives herself a makeover. Nick is quite cross with Melissa for making fun of Tina because he's in love with her already after 24 hours of knowing her. And outside again, Jason is absolutely fuming through the blinds, breathing really up and down like that.
Gav: But this is what you want, Jason. You're going to get acid reflux. Calm down.
Dan: Melissa tries to hit on Nick and he's like, I'm not interested in you, Melissa. You're a bitch. So she's like, I'll tell you what, I'll go and fuck Eddie, the Star Wars nerd then, to make you jealous.
Gav: Brilliant. Thanks for that.
Dan: What a bitch.
Gav: Cheers, love.
Dan: So she goes off with him. And the doctor goes outside on his own, and he does find the body with a spike in it. And he thinks, oh my God, her visions might actually be something. Mum, meanwhile, Tina's mum, goes into the doctor's office to snoop around. She finds, not only does she find the spike that Tina just said was outside, which proves her hallucination, she also finds a videotape, and she plays it, and she can see that it's the doctor purposefully stressing out her daughter to get a rise out of her, and he sort of talks about his studying the subject's telekinetic powers, da da da da da da. He walks in on her, and she's like, why, what are you doing? You're not interested in helping her, you want to exploit her and use her, and you know, and of course he does, this fucking Professor X from The X-Men, he wants to find out more about it. So they have a big argument, Tina's outside, she hears all of this through the door, because she's packing up, she wants to get out of here. And he says, great, well, if you won't let me study her, I'm going to commit her tomorrow back to the cuckoo's nest with her. So Tina runs off, she gets in the car and drives off. And while she's driving, she has a vision of Jason killing her mum in the middle of the road, which makes her swerve, crash the car. We cut away from that for now.
Gav: Are we going back to the water with the couple?
Dan: No, we've done that. They're dead.
Gav: Right. I'm a little bit lost. I was going to say then, going back to that, I'm going to have some catch up here. When that woman is killed in that water, going back, sorry, go and step back.
Dan: That's fine.
Gav: Her legs pulled down in the water. I thought that would make a fantastic poster. Jason.
Dan: That's what I'm saying. It's a Jaws kind of...
Gav: Oh, that's what you're saying, sorry.
Dan: Yeah, it's almost like Jaws, isn't it?
Gav: Yeah, it really was good, yeah.
Dan: She's also completely butt naked, bless her.
Gav: Yeah, she is.
Dan: Couldn't have been an easy scene to film.
Gav: I paused it to look like a poster because I was going to take a still, and I was like, nah, she's naked.
Dan: Just got a funny instead. We're now at my most forced, what I consider to be the most forced kill, which is the nerd girl who has now done herself up, made herself hot.
Gav: She's looking for David outside.
Dan: Why did she go outside?
Gav: Yeah, it's a strange choice. It's all forced.
Dan: She goes outside, she gets lost in the woods, she loses an earring. She might as well be fucking Velma from Scooby-Doo, trying to find her glasses. She's scrabbling around, going, where's my earring?
Gav: There's no suspense. It could have been easy, but more suspense, because the guy weirdly just falls from a tree dead, she discovers. And he just falls, and they're like, oh, at that point. And it's just like, like you said, forced as fuck. He's like, OK, she's there now, fall for a tree. Oh, no. Come on.
Dan: The only good thing about this scene is it ends with her running into a shed full of tools.
Gav: Yeah, you do have that, at least.
Dan: And Jason walks in there, and his eyes light up. He's like, heaven, I've got so many weapons.
Gav: But he kills her off screen.
Dan: He does a Robocop. This is another influence. He Robocops her.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: He does this to someone in Manhattan as well. She's leaning up against the wall thinking, he'll just walk past me and not know I'm here. And he Robocops her by smashing his arms through the wall and killing her. But we don't really see it. But he does grab a great big hook. So he's got a weapon. It's like a video game for him. He's like, what weapon should I put in my arsenal next?
Gav: Put in my arse next?
Dan: What weapon should I put in my arse next?
Gav: He's going back to that P Diddy fight again, isn't he?
Dan: Jesus Christ. Tina and Nick are talking outside. And he says, I need to find my mum. Because I've had a vision of her dying. I don't know how he's found her after she's scratched the car in the middle of nowhere. But he does. We don't question it. So Dr. Cruise gets in his car with Tina's mum and they go off to find her. They find the crashed car.
Gav: Does he cruise?
Dan: Dr. Cruise, he sounds like he should do a late night sort of love radio show.
Gav: Hey, it's Dr. Cruise once again.
Dan: You're listening to Dr. Cruise, Cruise in with Dr. Cruise on 109.9 FM. Don't forget to message in with your love queries and your requests.
Gav: I used to love Midnight Caller.
Dan: I used to love radio shows late at night.
Gav: Yeah, well, I used to love Midnight Caller, that one, that was good.
Dan: The one I used to listen to when I was about 14 or 15, with my little FM Walkman was Dave Barrett's Late Night Love.
Gav: I know, I know, I know, because, oh man, I used to work with a dude who was just a fucking, that's just a bit of an idiot, all of us. And on the way back, we'd be like, Dave, put on some NWO over. No, no, we're doing Late Night Love. He has a real camp voice. Okay, are you sure? Yeah, Late Night Love, we'll have to list it on the way. A van full of men. And we're listening to Late Night Love. So fuck off. I used to hate that program.
Dan: Some good songs on there. I used to love it. This next one's dedicated to Gavin. And then it'd be like a cheesy song, you know? You're my one and only. And then be like, this is Chesney Hawks. I am the one and only. But they wouldn't play that.
Gav: They play much more. We get Jason approaches the house again, and he goes up to the van, does a Ted Bundy. He doesn't have a wank though. Well, he might do.
Dan: Yeah. Well, we've got the young Jordan Peele lookalike, Ben, and his girlfriend. They've made up and they're having sex in the van. Made up and making love. It seems to be the place to be like, oh, can we use the van for an hour? Yeah, yeah, yeah, guys, go out there.
Gav: Oh, when they get in there.
Dan: Everyone's using that same van.
Gav: They're like, oh, it really smells of sex in here.
Dan: It smells of feet and semen. Cheesy feet and semen in this van. And sweat. But yeah, so they hear a scraping sound outside and he's like, it's probably Michael.
Gav: Right, this man, right, for fuck's sake, this dude is about to bang, yeah? He's like, it's probably Michael. It's my friend. Ha, ha, ha, stops, pulls his clothes on, runs outside. Where are you?
Dan: With a little party blower.
Gav: What are you doing? That lady's in the van and wants to have sex with you. What are you doing?
Dan: She is ready and waiting.
Gav: Dan, do you go with, stay in the van with her and go, fuck off? Or do you go, I'm coming out with party poppers. Let's run around in the woods. You don't do it. I'm staying in the van. You stay in the van. Staying in the van. Admittedly, Jason's going to kill you regardless. So may as well die banging.
Dan: He does make the fatal error. Randy would hate this and scream of saying to her, stay here. I'll be right back. Of course. He gets his head crushed by Jason.
Gav: Do you say more? OK, Jason pushes his head slightly together just a little bit. That's that's all we see. You made it sound a lot better than that. It's not that with the crunching, but he's just going, oh, come on with your kills. And how much does that cost? Nothing. A sound effect, which we already had. Fucking hell.
Dan: And then his girlfriend says, where are you, Ben? And then she gets a party hopper jammed in her eye, a party blow.
Gav: Which we don't see. Fucking meh.
Dan: It's implied. Now, Melissa, as we've said, she is taking Eddie upstairs to try and make Nick jealous.
Gav: She gives up.
Dan: Halfway through the sex, they're all...
Gav: Fuck this.
Dan: He's fully penetrated her yet, but she says, stop. I'm not actually attracted to you. I was really only doing this to get at Nick. And he's like, what do you mean? And she's like, well, I'm not attracted to you. But good try. She says to, well done.
Gav: I've been used for sex before. And I, oh, okay.
Dan: I have as well, yeah. Yes, you feel pretty shit, don't you?
Gav: Yeah, it's a bit like, right, okay. That was weird.
Dan: Yeah, it's not good. So he says to her, okay, rejection. I can take it. I've been rejected by some of the finest science fiction magazines in America. She's like, where are you going to go now? He's like, to take a cold shower. He goes off.
Gav: Jason's like, right, that's it. Next trick of my book is turning off the lights to the house.
Dan: Yeah. Well, the stoner and the redhead are finishing up. And Jason's, this is where he cuts the power, just in the middle of their sex. He must think, God, I'm good. I'm so hard that I've blown the fuse box in this cabin. Jesus. That is a pretty powerful orgasm there. And Tina and Nick find Michael's dead body. She's like, I told you your cousin was dead, Nick. You didn't believe me. There he is. Look at him. That's your cousin.
Gav: I'm not bothered about you being right or who's right here, but I'm right, aren't I? Yeah. But there's more things at stake here. He's dead, but I'm right, though, yeah? Fucking hell.
Dan: Yes, Tina, you're right. But also I'm looking at my cousin's entrails right now.
Gav: Okay.
Dan: And Jason enters the cabin. I always pray he's left the building, but Jason has entered the cabin.
Gav: My next note, you have to let me know when his turns up. Boobs. Is it all I says?
Dan: Yeah, that's when the stoner and the redhead, her cheek drops for a brief second. And she's like, where are you going? He's like, I'm going to go get some food. I'm a caveman. I must provide sustenance to you. And he doesn't turn into Liam Neeson. I don't know why he did that. But he goes off to the fridge to get some munchies because he's stoned and they just had sex. And as we know, having sex makes you hungry. Getting stoned makes you hungry. They must be very hungry, these two, because they're high as kite. There's a big bomb next to the bed. And he's got about 20 pre-rolled spliffs and a couple of Method Man and Red Man's Snoop Dogg blunts as well, like huge blunts, all laid out next to the bed. He's got like, he's got two weeks worth of weed all lined up for this weekend.
Gav: Good, good.
Dan: So he goes off and leaves her in bed to go to the munchies. And there's a brilliant moment, which I've never seen before. When he walks in the kitchen, you can see Jason.
Gav: He's got a flashlight.
Dan: Yeah, he takes a flashlight into the kitchen. And if you look carefully in the corner, you can see Jason's in the kitchen the entire time he's in there.
Gav: There's a bit here where the music school go is a lot of strings. And it's really good. It's a... And it's like, wow, it's really good. And then it goes. It's like, I think I sampled it once by the time. I've never actually used it, but I was like, that's such a good line of music. Yeah.
Dan: That is almost taking it back to the original Jason.
Gav: It was really good.
Dan: That score.
Gav: It was just for that little bit, though.
Dan: Unfortunately, it's another lackluster kill, because he looks in the fridge and then he's stabbed with a knife. And that's about all we get. We don't even see it.
Gav: Boo, to your death, sir.
Dan: Tina and Nick arrive back at the cabin, like her and her mum's cabin. She finds a spike on the doctor's desk and thinks, right, OK, so I was right. Then she finds a gun in Dr. Cruise's desk, but she grabs it. She gives it to Nick. Nick's like, let's go.
Gav: Party time.
Dan: She also finds an article on Jason. Jason Vor, he's the killer. So in this split second, she's like, OK, I know who he is. And this makes the room shake because of her powers. And Nick's like, oh, OK.
Gav: Shake the room. Tick, tick, tick, tick. Boom.
Dan: Keep your wife's motherfucking name out of my mouth. Indeed. Can't look it in the same anymore, can you?
Gav: No, I don't really care about him anymore, I'm afraid.
Dan: So Nick now realizes, OK, so she does have these powers because I've just witnessed an entire room shaking. Cut back to Eddie. Eddie's like, well, I'm just going to start opening Michael's presence because he's clearly not turning up to his own party. Do you remember what one of the presents is, Gav?
Gav: It's no, it's larger. Oh, yeah, it is. Yeah. He's like, oh, great.
Dan: Nice little presence there. So he's ripping up all of Michael's presence, opening them up. Yeah. Well, he's going to get killed anyway. Nick says to Tina, you go and get everybody together for safety. And I'll go out on my own with a gun and find your mum. Don't worry, you get everyone together. So they've got missions. Jason kills Eddie. Don't even remember how he kills them really. He comes up behind him. He's in the presence. He should have used the penis enlarger. Should have shoved it down his throat. Or something, you know? But he didn't do it. That would have been brilliant. The redhead decides he's taking too long to get the munchies for her, so she goes, she gets dressed. She can't find anybody down there. Get a fucking cat jump out of a cupboard at her. Don't need a cat. I'm sick of cats jumping out of cupboards.
Gav: There is a cat in a cupboard.
Dan: And then she strokes it a bit. She's like, oh, you're a cute little kitty. And then another classic scene, which is used in a lot of memes and gifs, is she finds Eddie's head, and then she's pulled out the window and thrown to her death. And I love this shot of her, the stunt woman that just has to sort of smash through the glass and just land on the ground, two floors down, splat. So this is one of the better kills.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Tina says to Nick, yeah, all right, I'm going to stay here. That's fine. So the doctor and the mum are in the woods.
Gav: They've been stuck through the woods. And he, at one point, Jason gets up to him. He stands there and holds the mum there so she can get stabbed pretty much and he can get away.
Dan: Well, they have an argument, don't they? She slaps him and says, this is all your fault.
Gav: He's definitely not a gentleman, that's for sure.
Dan: No, no, because she takes his car keys off him and goes to run away. And this is where Jason shows up. So he just uses her as a human shield.
Gav: But he does, yeah.
Dan: And this is where Tina's mum is killed with one of the, it's like a machete, but it's a spear. It's like a broom handle with a machete on there. I don't know what you'd use it for.
Gav: It's stabbed off camera as well, so.
Dan: Well, yeah, but the weapon sort of comes in.
Gav: No, no, I don't know, yeah. The doctor gets away though, doesn't he? And then finds Tina in the woods and then seems like, well, where's my mum? It's fine, don't worry about it. No, I just used her as a shield. She's dead over there. I'm going this way. You with me? You know, I use you as a shield next. I'll just take out your whole family line, should I?
Dan: Back to Nick who's starting to find some dead bodies lying around now. He finds Melissa still alive, unfortunately.
Gav: Jason has a hedge cutter as well. He must have gone back to that shed.
Dan: Yeah, well, now he knows it's there.
Gav: He's like, right back to the shed. What? I wish we had all these offcuts. Why can we not have these in the movie? Jason's going, hmmm.
Dan: I'm going to go for this one.
Gav: That one. It'd be like a spoof. We should have a spoof slasher again, get a new one.
Dan: But yeah, this is where Tina says, where's my mom and Dr. Cruise is killed with a... I guess it's a head strimmer.
Gav: He's slowly chased as well.
Dan: It's like a head strimmer or something.
Gav: Jason pushes him over, then very slightly cuts him in the stomach just a little bit and he dies. It's like, yeah, but he probably just got a flesh wound and you're dead.
Dan: And it flips now because Tina now, she sees Jason, so she follows Jason.
Gav: My note for that kill is fucking shit as shit can be.
Dan: Yeah, that should have been a real gut ripping.
Gav: Yeah, go through it. Even the sound effects.
Dan: You could have had him go.
Gav: Yeah, we have been trying to get that sound effect of the actual effect for Chainsaw going through his stomach recently. It's quite hard to get it right.
Dan: I mean, just use a real stomach.
Gav: Yeah, that's the problem. I can't do that.
Dan: No. That's not us making it, you know, what do you call it? What do you call those films? Snuff Movie, by the way.
Gav: No, no, no, this is a pick up shot for a TV. Yeah, you're actually filming something, yeah, probably.
Dan: Yeah, so as Tina follows Jason, she starts finding more bodies. She finds the party blower girl with the inner eye. She finds the naked girl. Jason's arranged them all to sort of fall down out of trees and flop over, you know, it's almost like he's proud of his work.
Gav: He has always been doing this, though. Even in the first movie, he was plonking people in cupboards, so they had opened doors for them. Yeah.
Dan: Why kill someone? Why not just, you can use that body to scare the next victim, you know? It's great.
Gav: She finds him on the road and it's now like a Ernie O'Marconi fucking cowboy western standoff where they look at each other. And it's like Jason somehow knows that she has powers because he doesn't start going towards her. But yeah, she gets some Evil Dead type vines.
Dan: Wrap around it. And that's my third reference. So we've had Jaws, Robocop and Evil Dead now.
Gav: Now, this is actually pretty decent. It pulls him, telegraph pole, electrocutes him in a puddle. It's like, because you're looking at going, well, how is she going to do this? There's nothing around you if you're Jackie Chan, you know, using whatever you can or what weapons. And she uses the vines, the electric line and a puddle. And I was like, that's really actually pretty decent. I why is the rest of the movie not as good as this part here? You know, or should the movie been more just her and him?
Dan: That's what we need.
Gav: That had been more better film.
Dan: Jason versus Jackie. Jackie Chan goes out in the woods in between films to have a little rest.
Gav: You can prompt the AI to do this in a couple of years, don't worry, you'll be fine. Or next year.
Dan: And he sort of banks around the room flipping over tables, Jason's throwing different things in.
Gav: What I've got quite inventive Jackie Chan of the psychic world is my note. So we're on the same wave.
Dan: So yeah, basically the sort of the narrative here is nothing though.
Gav: Jason just gets up.
Dan: Well, she's basically come to terms with her powers and mastered them. So as Gav said, she's in the tree, pull Jason over, telegraph pole, she pulls it down, he gets electrocuted in a puddle.
Gav: And she leaves. But then Jason gets up.
Dan: He gets up. He can't kill him. In fact, he quite likes electricity. In the last movie, that's what brings him back to life.
Gav: Yeah, she goes back to the house and Jason jumps through a window. We're basically towards the end of the film here.
Dan: Yeah, I've put here, funny enough, he Jackie Chan's through a window. So he jumps in through the window. There's a great little juxtaposition here, because he stood there in the middle of this party cabin with balloons all around him, just sort of breathing at her. And he starts walking towards her.
Gav: She finds a fake head tied to a flower pot, which she throws at him.
Dan: I thought it was just a flower pot.
Gav: There was something on there, and it looked really bad tied on to it. It's really odd. I don't know, I can't remember it now. Whatever, forget that.
Dan: Well, she uses her powers to throw a sofa at him and a few other things. And then weirdly, she throws a sofa at him, but the one thing that knocks him over is a flower pot. I don't understand.
Gav: Yeah, it's really weird.
Dan: What's in there?
Gav: I don't know. She makes the front of the porch fall down on him.
Dan: Yeah, she runs outside, she pulls the porch down and collapses on him. She finds Nick and Melissa.
Gav: She also, oh, and the guy's like, you're making Jason up. He's not real. Like in part eight of this period. You're this far in a movie. Jason is there and she's like, it's you doing it.
Dan: There's about ten dead bodies. There's about ten dead bodies in there.
Gav: But Jason is alive and Jason's at the door.
Dan: We get another reference to Carrie, where Jason's hand smashes out through the broken porch debris, just like Carrie at the end of Carrie. So there's another little reference there. And Melissa starts acting like a real bitch at this point. Jason grabs an axe and chops her in the face, although we don't really see it. Throws her behind the TV in the living room, so leaving Nick and Tina trapped, they run upstairs. Jason starts coming up the stairs, so she collapses the stairs. He falls through into the basement. Then they've got a bit of a, probably the only tension in the movie, really. They have to step over the hole in the stairs to try and get out of the house. But he then smashes through the wall, just like the, what's the orange, what's the juice called? The American, you know, oh yeah! He smashes through the wall.
Gav: I don't know, Macho Man, Randy Savage?
Dan: No, no. Oh yeah.
Gav: I don't know what you're saying.
Dan: Anyway, he smashes through the wall and she uses her powers to tighten his mask around his head until the point where the straps burst and we get to see Jason's face.
Gav: Yeah, a lot in this actually.
Dan: Yeah. This is the most you see Jason's face out of any of the movies. Yeah. And yeah, he's sort of grown up looking like a bright old zombie. She hangs him using the lampshade wire from the lamp, and the ceiling drops him into the hole. He pulls her in and she starts using again, she starts shooting nails at him using her psychic abilities. Then she gets...
Gav: And all of this is fairly good as well. It's not too bad. Like this is bit what I guess they're shooting a load here. But earlier on, limit some of those kills and people, make it a bit more story, you know.
Dan: And what's good is he hasn't got his mask on for this whole last segment.
Gav: So it almost doesn't feel like Friday the 13th because of the mask makes it Friday the 13th. This just feels like it could be a monster movie, some big killer, you know.
Dan: There's a fun moment where he pulls a nail out of his face and gets really angry that she's shot nails at him. Then she soaks him in gasoline using her mind and sets it on fire. And this is the Guinness World Record for the longest body burn at this point. Kane Harder burned for 40 seconds.
Gav: OK.
Dan: They've probably done longer ones now, but Kane Harder burned for 40 seconds, which is a very long time.
Gav: Because he's famously, I can't remember what film, accidentally. He's all burnt. That's why he wears gloves at conventions. He doesn't like to scare people, whatever, and he's all burnt. When it happened, they were out, I don't know where they were, they were out somewhere. And I've listened to him talk about it, where he had to literally just knock on someone's house and say, can I please use your shower for cold water? Because the woman was just shocked at seeing this person. He's like, I'm a film, it's just happened. He needs to have a shower, and he went and used this woman's shower, making a complete mess with flesh and shit everywhere. You know? Yeah, gnarly. So he's a trooper, his cane. But he's all scarred up one side.
Dan: I've got his book, I just haven't got a reign to reading it.
Gav: I just listened to my podcast. You should read it, check it out.
Dan: Yeah, I definitely want to. I just haven't got a reign to it. Nick and Tina are outside the cabin, which is now on fire. Everything collapses down to nothing. And she says to him, everything's gone. Everything's gone. She cries a bit. He hugs her. Suddenly, Jason appears out of nowhere. I've got things that we've got out of there. Nick shoots him, doesn't stop him. Jason shoves Nick into the lake. Then Tina, this is a great sentence, I'm about to say, Tina reanimates her zombie dad, who comes out of the water like the Incredible Hulk.
Gav: Oh, right. Oh, I was confused.
Dan: And she and drowns Jason, pulls him down, wraps the chain around him, pulls him down to the depths of the lake.
Gav: OK, I was confused what was going on.
Dan: So he's back under the lake, ready for the next movie.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And in the morning. I love discussing this with you now in the morning, the fire brigade are there putting out all the fires. Paramedics like Tina, don't worry, your boyfriend Nick's all right. They're in the ambulance together. And he says to her, we did it. We did it. Now, what I want to know is the police report for this. Everyone is dead. The doctor, Tina's mom, about 10 teenagers from the cabin.
Gav: I don't know how to explain it.
Dan: One cabin's burnt down. The porch has collapsed. The pier has collapsed. What's going on? How do you explain it?
Gav: Who's writing the report?
Dan: Well, they must know. Camp Crystal Lake. They'll be like, oh, fucking hell.
Gav: Camp Crystal Lake.
Dan: Not another incident.
Gav: It'd just be like the government, just file it away and we won't see what happened.
Dan: Mulder and Scully would be like, we'll hide this one in the depths of the X-Files. Don't worry about it. That's another one. Jason versus the X-Files.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Mulder would believe.
Gav: Yeah, but you need some muscle in there, though. You need something.
Dan: Yeah, but they've got their brains. Scully would find a way.
Gav: Scully finds a way.
Dan: She'd be having a shower and Jason would burst in on her.
Gav: Are they making new ones? New X-Files?
Dan: I think so, yeah.
Gav: Again, it was like every 10, 15 years, they're like, we need some money. If we make some X-Files.
Dan: David Duchovny phones up Gillian Allerton's like, I need to buy a new car.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: All right, let's do it. She's doing all right there, haven't she? Don't see him in much these days.
Gav: No, it was like TV shows.
Dan: That's Jason Seven.
Gav: That's Jason Seven. On a side note very quickly, real very quickly, I give it a thumbs up by the way, if you're a diehard Friday 13 fan, I'd say check it out. You know, it's all right. It's nothing amazing.
Dan: Just be prepared for no real gore. The implication of, but no real gore or blood.
Gav: It's a bit of a different one, but it's kind of fun. You can just leave your brain at the door, you know.
Dan: And it throws in telekinesis. Yeah.
Gav: On a side note, very quickly, just because I'm the bee's open in front of me, I didn't realize it just came out yesterday in a cinema. I know what you did last summer came out. I was like, what?
Dan: That's right.
Gav: Where did this come from? What? I had no idea. We don't need to have a discussion about it, but I had no idea that was even a thing. I don't know how it's doing, but you know.
Dan: I'm going to have a go. By the way, part seven is the most heavily rated entry in the franchise. Basically, the director is still fuming to this day. The MPAA made him cut it down. I don't know why they did. He wanted an X rating for it. They wanted an R rating, which is why he had to cut down all the kills. Like I said to you, that footage has been destroyed now in a fire, ironically, and will never be seen. Never be seen.
Gav: I know what you did last summer, sorry. 5.7 out of 10, not doing too well, but someone say, love letter to the OG fans, Slasher season is back, baby.
Dan: Yeah, I'll check it out.
Gav: But then some people saying, don't watch this movie, it's a stain on the franchise. Okay.
Dan: Well, yeah. Thumbs up for me too. I think like Gav says, if you're a completist, you will have already seen it. But if you haven't seen it before, like I say, just be prepared for quite a bloodless Friday movie, but one that takes it in a slightly original place.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And it's all right. It's fun.
Gav: There's nothing doing anything incredibly new, but it is trying to do something new, as is part eight, which we will be getting to once.
Dan: Bill.
Gav: Bill has.
Dan: He's just woken up. He's got his hockey mask on. How are you going to drink your whiskey? Ah, you've got a straw.
Gav: He's straws, yeah. Have you noticed that he's got like eight straws? He looks kind of like a predator with his mandible.
Dan: Turn around. No, I'm not going to turn around. Oh, you were quoting the predator. Oh, you are being a predator. I know. Oh, God, Gav is all getting a bit much.
Gav: Not sexual predator, Bill, just predator. Right.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Bill, come on in. Give it to us. Strange, strange, world, Doctor Strange.
Dan: Thank you, Bill. As I wait, you can sit back down now.
Gav: Thank you.
Dan: Thank you. So, we are going to be talking about Friday the 13th, the real date, what it means, and some things that have happened on Friday the 13th as well. However, before we do that, just a quick update on the strange shenanigans in my house. So, I've talked about my daughter telling me that Mr. Nobody sometimes follows me down the stairs, and I've talked about the Shadow Man that me and my wife have both seen several times at the bottom of the stairs. Now, the other night, I was putting the kids to bed. It was my turn for bedtime. And although they're twins, believe it or not, they are very different people. My son falls asleep very early. My daughter stays up for like another hour, hour and a half. So you have to kind of read her stories for a bit longer and da, da, da. Jack had fallen asleep, and I was facing Edith, and I was reading her story, and I said to her, look, come on, it's getting really late now. Let's just lie down and just relax. And while I was talking to her, I heard another child in the room. Couldn't make out what it was they were saying. It was a normal voice. But I thought, it's weird. And Edith got very scared very quickly. I assumed...
Gav: Edith could hear it as well?
Dan: Yeah, yeah.
Gav: You both could just hear a sound in the room, and it wasn't like a sound like a window is outside.
Dan: It was a child. It was a child's voice saying something.
Gav: Okay.
Dan: So I assumed Jack had woken up.
Gav: Right.
Dan: I turned around. No, he still passed out. So I was really confused because I thought, did he speak in his sleep? Yeah. I don't know. So I turned around to Edith, and she was almost under the covers. And I said, what's wrong? She went, it's scary. And I said, was that Jack that spoke? And she said, she didn't say anything. And I said, maybe it was just Jack. And she went, it was the far away children. And my blood ran cold. And I said, what do you mean, the far away children? And she said, it was the far away children. I don't want to talk about it now.
Gav: Oh my God.
Dan: She's only four. And I was like, no, no, no, I want to talk about this, who are the far away children? And she didn't want to talk about it. She was too scared. And she said, let's just say it was Jack. Let's just say it was Jack. She's only four. So I said, all right, that's fine. So in the morning, I grilled her about it a bit more. And I said, you know, what is it? What is it? She went, it's just the far away children. Sometimes they're cross and sometimes they like to play tricks. And I said, but what was it?
Gav: I'm just going to write all these down with different scenes for a movie we're going to make, by the way.
Dan: I couldn't get my head around it. And she doesn't really want to talk about it too much. She just now says, let's just say it was Jack. Let's just say it was Jack. And then I asked her a few days later, what do they look like? She says, sometimes they look like Jack, sometimes they look like me. And then when we were in the caravan on holiday, we heard some kids outside playing late at night. And she looked at me and she went, that's not the far away children, but they are children that are far away, daddy. And I was like, yeah. And I said, tell me more about these far away children. And she went, oh, they're silly. I don't want to talk about them. And obviously her and Jack have had a conversation that I've not been privy to, because the other morning, Jack came downstairs on his own.
Gav: Normally I have to like accompany them down the stairs or whatever, but I left the gate and their bedroom door unlocked. And he came down on his own in the morning and I was already down here with the coffee. And I went, ah, you've come down on your own. Who helped you down the stairs then? And he went, the far away children, daddy. They lifted me up and carried me down the stairs, which isn't true.
Dan: No.
Gav: Because I heard him walking down the stairs, but it was a bit strange to begin with. But then I thought, well, no, him and Edith have obviously started having this conversation about this, this thing they made up. But either way, it's pretty weird and chilling.
Dan: It is.
Gav: If I was you, though, I'd have cameras set up and shit like that because I'd just be wanting to capture that shit. I'm well up for it, you know. I want to come to yours and spend the evening with Sarah in your living room, sleep over and join. Well, we've now got the hat man slash the shadow man at the bottom of the stairs. We've got Mr. Nobody on the stairs and we've got the far away children. Who the fuck are the far away children? Mr. Nobody and the Far Away Children sounds like a psych rock band. It sounds like a kid's book from the 80s, you know.
Dan: I like it. I know you don't and you have to live with it, but I'll be well into it. I've been dying. That's it. That's annoying me. Apparently, I did live in the Haunted House for a year and I don't even know because I didn't see anything except someone saw an old man looking at them while on the toilet through a window. And I didn't know about this. They didn't tell me until I moved out. I was like, what?
Gav: Sounds like a scene from The Greasy Strangler.
Dan: It does, doesn't it? Well, spooky shenanigans.
Gav: I'll keep you posted if there's any more. Yeah, all right. So Friday the 13th, let's talk about it. We all know the movies. We all know the date in the calendar. Did you know that there's at least one Friday the 13th every year?
Dan: Yeah, I would have thought so.
Gav: Do you know the maximum you can have in one year?
Dan: Four.
Gav: Three.
Dan: Yeah, I knew that.
Gav: Three is the most you can have in one year.
Dan: I was just saying four instead of three.
Gav: There you go.
Dan: I didn't know that.
Gav: So a little bit about the background on it. It comes from various cultures.
Dan: I love how they creep up, though, and I never know. And I'm like, oh, it's Friday the 13th tomorrow. And I try to watch a movie. And I'm really happy to say the last Friday the 13th, if I did Jason vs. Freddie, because I introduced it to the family, the kids, even Elijah watched it.
Gav: I can't remember what I watched on Friday the 13th, the last one, because it was only last month. I think it was, yeah, I watched. Oh, I watched Jason X. Yeah, I haven't seen it for a while, so I thought I'd watch Jason X. So Friday the 13th, obviously 13 is considered an unlucky number in many cultures as well.
Dan: It is indeed. I am the number 13. I've never even found it too unlucky for myself.
Gav: So most of Western civilization considers this to be a bad superstition, which is unusual to have such a...
Dan: You do have the odd hotel, not all of them. That's a folk lore. The odd hotel that don't have a 13th floor. Because the architects when building it were like, no, it's unlucky, so don't build it. There's not many of them, but that is actually a thing.
Gav: A lot of hotels don't have a 13th room. It goes 12, 14.
Dan: Oh, OK.
Gav: That's the thing as well. So, yeah, so it comes from many, many sort of cultures, really. One of them is Norse mythology. So in Norse mythology, the number 13 is a Norse myth about there's 12 gods having a dinner party in Valhalla, which is the Norse heaven. And Loki, who wasn't invited, arrives as the 13th guest and sort of ruins the whole party, really.
Dan: Oh, it's Loki.
Gav: Fucking Loki.
Dan: Don't say anything. Does that mean he's 13? Yeah. Oh, we're supposed to be 12. Supposed to be even. Now we're odd, I know. Just get him drunk and send him on his way. Give him some special brew.
Gav: But apparently he turned up to this party and one of the gods died. And then it triggered a whole like...
Dan: At least it took it back to 12.
Gav: That's very true, actually. That's why for many, many years, it's been considered an anarchy number.
Dan: Was it because of dance partners? Is he fucking up the ratio?
Gav: Maybe.
Dan: That must have been it. You're going to have to solo dance on the dance floor by yourself for...
Gav: Well, if it was Tom Hiddleston, he's a pretty good dancer in real life, so...
Dan: Yeah, I've seen him dancing, yeah.
Gav: In Christianity, superstition also relates to various things like the story of Jesus' last supper and crucifixion, where there were 13 individuals present in the upper room on the 13th, which was a Thursday, the night before Good Friday. So somewhere along the way, that's kind of been intermingled. And then the whole Friday the 13th thing can be related back to the Knights Templar, where the Knights Templar were arrested on Friday the 13th, in 1907. So that's another wet area that comes along. It's a very unlucky day. It comes from many, many, many different cultures. I'm not going to go into them all.
Dan: Knights Templar, but people were happy that Knights Templar were arrested, we do know.
Gav: No, they weren't.
Dan: They weren't. So that's why they said it's unlucky, because they were arrested.
Gav: Yeah. Okay. There was a novel written in 1907 called Friday the 13th, which is also about really bad stuff happening in America. That also has triggered more and more belief in this superstition. There's also roots in Hispanic and Greek culture. And then other cultures have got like Italy. If in Friday, if Friday falls on the 17th in Italy, then that's bad luck. So if you're Italian and it's Friday the 17th, you're like, mamma mia. Have they got the, mamma mia, it's the 17th.
Dan: Have they got their own version of Friday the 13th movies with Jason or Mario and it's Friday the 17th?
Gav: Yeah, probably.
Dan: Friday the 17th, part eight, Mario takes Spain.
Gav: I'd love that to be a thing, but unfortunately not, no.
Dan: All right.
Gav: Um, there are, over the years, there have been more and more and more accidents and tragedies happening because people now are so superstitious of it that they do stupid things like they drive fast to get home.
Dan: Oh, you're saying because of that, they do, oh right, I thought you're saying there's been more deaths. No, you're just saying it because on Friday the 13th, Friday the Saturday, Thursday the 12th, probably had the same amount of deaths, you're just not counting them. But you're saying because of that, there's a catalyst for more deaths, I get you.
Gav: People act a bit crazier on Friday the 13th. I was once beaten up and mugged on Friday the 13th. I was walking back from the pub and other lads decided to beat me up.
Dan: And they mugged you for some money?
Gav: Yeah, they just took my wallet, but they got more pleasure in the beating.
Dan: So what Friday the 13th for them? They were happy. It's a good day for them, wasn't it?
Gav: It's a good day for them. Now, linking in to that...
Dan: Sorry about that.
Gav: That's all right. Linking in to that whole things happening, bad things happening on Friday the 13th, that's because an estimated 17 to 21 million people in the United States alone have power... Let me get this right... . power scavideca triaphobia, which is the fear of Friday the 13th. So...
Dan: So they don't watch the movies, for sure.
Gav: They don't watch them. And a lot of those people will not work on a Friday the 13th. They won't get out of the house. They won't do anything, because they're worried that something bad is going to happen. They think it's final destination. Don't go out.
Dan: What if I can sell a tape their knife drawer up, you know?
Gav: In America, it's estimated that they lose between 800 and 900 million dollars on this day in businesses, because people don't take flights, buses, they don't go shopping. So that for some reason, it's crazy, isn't it? Isn't that crazy? Yeah, and that's why there's more accidents on that day, because people go out of their way to avoid doing stuff, and then they actually... And as you may or may not know, a lot of tattooists in the UK anyway, maybe in other countries, on Friday the 13th, you can go in and have a tattoo of the number 13 for really cheap. Usually, they'll do a deal where it's like 13 pounds for like a small tattoo of the number 13 on you.
Dan: I'll go get one.
Gav: Yeah, just gonna get one done.
Dan: I didn't know that.
Gav: Yeah, funny. I'm not gonna say that word again, but that is the phobia of the number 13. It's a very long word. Is that crazy? Now, linking in to all of that, Bill's brought with him a list of terrible things in history that have happened on a Friday the 13th. Would you like to hear some of them?
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Let's go for it. Number one on the list, Buckingham Palace was bombed during World War II on a Friday the 13th.
Dan: Oh, all right. I had to drive past. Last Saturday, I was driving into London early in the morning, and I actually, the road was diverted, and I was like, for fuck's sake, where am I going? And I had to drive along. It's always weird when you're driving literally along Buckingham Palace on a big, red, wide, massive road, and you're the only car driving along, you're like, I feel naughty. Um, yeah, it's a big old place. Did it do much damage?
Gav: Um, it bombed it to bits, mate. Half of it was bombed.
Dan: Fuck, because there's a big old... I was driving around, look again, there's a big old fucker.
Gav: The King and Queen were in there at the time of the attack, but they were unscathed. Um, and there's a chapel, they've got their own chapel, and that was completely destroyed. So the chapel that now sits within the grounds is a brand new one that they had to build after World War II because it was completely destroyed. But yeah, Friday the 13th, 1940, they bombed that palace and the chapel.
Dan: Right.
Gav: So there we go. The Queen said, put on a brave face, and she said, in some ways, I'm glad it was bombed because now I can look at the East End. I've got a clear view of the East End of London. So, you know, putting on a brave face, bless her.
Dan: And she turns on the telly, she's got East Enders.
Gav: She can't anymore, she's dead. Friday the 13th, 2020, was the official first day of the COVID-19 pandemic. Did you know this?
Dan: No, what, the lockdown or the actual?
Gav: The first official day that the pandemic was announced.
Dan: Oh, okay.
Gav: In the first couple of countries.
Dan: Yeah, such a weird time.
Gav: Trump, Trump, in America, Trump declared the national emergency on that day as well. That is weird, isn't it?
Dan: The whole thing was weird, really.
Gav: Yeah. Well, we've talked about Puff Daddy a lot on this episode, but Tupac Shakur was gunned down and killed on a Friday, the 13th in September 1996. As we know, in Vegas, he went to watch Mike Tyson, his buddy, boxing.
Dan: He's a really good bloke, Tupac. I think he got that from his mum. Very strong lad. I heard a thing about him recently where he went to a, he basically was arrested and was going to go down for the, pulling out a gun and shooting at some cops. But he-
Gav: Because they were shooting at another kid.
Dan: They were undercover and they were just literally giving some other kids shit and just, and he's just like, no, you're not doing that. And he's stuck up for this kid by putting in a shooting and they end up doing that. I watched the court video when the cops, and they were found guilty of what they're doing. They were drunk and they were just being a dick, and Tupac got off and Tupac was doing a very civil thing. But when they're in the court, the cops walk into it and Tupac stares at them. And in case you look over to him, they're like, oh shit, look away. And he just, and the look he gives is like, oh man, that's a strong, passionate person right there. You know?
Gav: The funny thing about Tupac is if you look at footage and interviews of him before he was in the film Juice, he was a very camp, very different person. And then when he made the film Juice, that character he played, he, a lot of people say he got so into that character that he remained that character because he became a thug, what he called his thug life persona. After that movie, he never changed. And then he became like this guy covered in tattoos, shooting up cops and going to prison multiple times and whatever else, you know, hanging out with Mike Tyson. But yeah, he was killed on Friday the 13th, unlucky for him. Definitely. If you believe he's dead. But that's a whole other World Of The Strange.
Dan: He's in my cupboard back there.
Gav: Jesus Christ.
Dan: I've got him in there with Prince and a few others, Michael Jackson.
Gav: Like the cat, when you open it and the cat jumps out.
Dan: I've got loads of artists you think dead, Elvis is like rocking out in there as well.
Gav: So if I'm in your house, instead of opening the cupboard and a cat jumps out, it scares me. I open the cupboard and it goes California love.
Dan: And then Prince jumps out and says party 1999, and Elvis jumps out and says, yeah, I was right. It's weird.
Gav: You've got a big cupboard.
Dan: It's like when Ace Ventura comes home and he goes, and all his animals swarm him. I have that, but I have loads of celebrities you think are dead.
Gav: You've got David Bowie under your bed, Bruce Lee.
Dan: I've got everybody just all comes out and hangs on me. It's weird.
Gav: It's saying sexual.
Dan: No.
Gav: No.
Dan: It's musical, but a racket because everybody's doing all their music at once.
Gav: Imagine a collab between all of those guys.
Dan: Well, we've recorded loads of albums, but it's like Prince's Basement. You're not allowed to hear them. They're in there and they'll be deleted. But we've recorded-
Gav: Two-part rapping, Michael Jackson in there singing with Bowie.
Dan: Elvis, the whole lot. Oh, God, this goes to AI again. You'll be able to make super groups with all these artists doing stuff, won't you?
Gav: Anyway, carry on. Well, I've already done that, by the way. I looked up somebody's- Because you know you can AI someone's voice. Someone has taken Freddie Mercury's voice, as many as many other artists, but Freddie Mercury's voice and done like Valerie by Amy Winehouse and lots of other songs. And it sounds incredible. And it's like, wow, I wish, I wish he was still alive to cover some of those.
Dan: It's the same as like I said, the movies. It's just really interesting seeing different artists doing different things. It's just like, you know, it's not the real thing, but you go, oh, that's how that would have sounded, kind of, you know.
Gav: Well, circling back to England in 2010, on Friday the 13th, of course, a British boy who was 13 was struck by lightning on Friday the 13th at precisely 13:13 p.m. in the afternoon.
Dan: How do you know that?
Gav: Because that was when the lightning struck him. How do you know that? Do you see his watch?
Dan: Don't believe that. I did see on Instagram the other day, these two fishermen in their waders, not too far in, just doing fishing. This one guy gets struck by lightning, and he's standing there going, oh, fucking hell. All right, they carry on doing the fishing, and he gets struck by lightning again. And he's like, that's it, and goes in. And he's in the water as well. And he's like, fuck it.
Gav: Once is enough, twice, no way.
Dan: No.
Gav: Well, at least this kid didn't get struck by lightning 13 times, I guess. Yeah. Apparently, it was 13, 13 p.m. That was the date, that was the time recorded of the incident. He survived, he had burns on his shoulders, but he survived, obviously. So there we go. That's another one for you, Gav.
Dan: The time of the incident was recorded, that they're probably like, it's 13, 11. Should we just say 13, 14? Yeah. You know.
Gav: So here's another one for you in Italy in 2012.
Dan: Is it Mario in Friday the 17th?
Gav: It wasn't, unfortunately. It was a January the 13th. So to them, it wasn't an unlucky day.
Dan: It was a day after the birthday, though.
Gav: It wasn't an unlucky day because the largest passenger ship ever crashed. It had the double the number of people on board than the Titanic. Only 32 people died, thankfully.
Dan: Not 13.
Gav: Not 13. That would have been weird. The captain was convicted and imprisoned of manslaughter, reckless control of a giant ship. There's a photo of it. It crashed into the side of the docks.
Dan: It does happen. Was he pissed up?
Gav: Probably.
Dan: Probably.
Gav: He was getting ready for Friday the 17th.
Dan: Probably.
Gav: Let's have a few drinks. In 1951, Kansas, in the States, had the biggest ever flood hit on a Friday the 13th. Two million acres of land were damaged by the flood. So there's another terrible date there for you. The storm affected oil tanks, which caught fire and exploded. That's not good. There were passengers stuck on trains for four days. Fuck. Christ. And the river, sorry, the flooding went up to nine feet, which is pretty big. Four days stuck in a train. By third day, like, how long are we staying on this train for?
Dan: We're all living together now.
Gav: This is weird.
Dan: None of us have watched. It stinks in here.
Gav: Like that film Snowpiercer. You seen Snowpiercer?
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Where they were living on a train. The people of Kansas now call this day Black Friday in the history books. So there we go. Another Friday the 13th.
Dan: Do you reckon it was a pink Tuesday?
Gav: Yeah, of course. I've been to the bar on that night. The Blue Oyster do pink Tuesdays. It's great there. There was a stock market crash in 1989 on Friday the 13th.
Dan: It's like a close-dead stock exchange in here.
Gav: Yeah, billions was lost, but it's the stock market, so it all comes back a few weeks later. Do you know what I mean? You've heard of the film Alive? Yeah. Where the plane crashed and they had to eat their friends. Did you know that that plane crashed on a Friday the 13th in the Andes?
Dan: I probably did.
Gav: Yeah, so the true story of the Eurogravian Flight 571.
Dan: I did watch it a couple of years ago. Again, I've checked out again.
Gav: Yeah, they famously ate their colleagues.
Dan: It was a rugby team. It was pretty gnarly, isn't it?
Gav: Like, yeah, I mean, if you're going to crash, rugby guys start trying big.
Dan: Yeah, yeah, we start trying more big muscle. Oh, you start trying to eat in boots and stuff that they tried and it's just too tough for them.
Gav: But I think of a rugby players thigh. There's a lot of meat on that.
Dan: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Gav: Buttock.
Dan: I was going to say buttocks. I would go straight for buttocks if I was eating one.
Gav: Buttocks and thighs. That's what you want, really, isn't it? You could probably say, Gary, Gary, look, you're still alive, but you've got the biggest thigh. Let's take one of your legs off and we can all keep going. You can have a bit as well, Gary.
Dan: Oh, cheers.
Gav: We can all keep going then for a few more days. All right, Gary?
Dan: I'm not a walking KFC.
Gav: Well, you're not anymore. And then about a week later, Gary, we're hungry again.
Dan: For fuck's sake, go to Barry.
Gav: No, he's not as big as you. Let's get the other leg. Come on.
Dan: Come on, it was nice.
Gav: When the rescue party show up, it's just loads of heads.
Dan: Yeah, talking to each other. We're hungry. Yeah, so Ravenous, another good cannonball movie. If you fancy.
Gav: We covered that a long time ago. They were found 72 days later, and there were only 16 people who survived.
Dan: How gnarly is that, though? For the rest of your life, living with that fact, going, well, I shit out a human the other day.
Gav: It's just so weird. Oh, God.
Dan: When you sit on a toilet and have a shit going, oh, God, that's Barry.
Gav: On that very same day that that fight crashed in 1972, the same Friday the 3rd, there was another pretty bad airplane crash in Russia. The Aeroflot 217 tragedy was the worst plane crash in Russian history. 174 people on board. Every single person died, including all 10 crew members. It crashed into the land due to bad weather. Some speculate it was a lightning strike, but it's never been proven. So, two plane crashes on the same Friday the 13th. Here's another bit of bad luck. Friday the 13th, 1821, the founder of the Klu Klux Klan was born. The Grand Wizard, as he likes to be called.
Dan: Fucking Grand Wizard. Grand Wizard of Racism.
Gav: Why do they call themselves Grand? It's so pathetic that they call themselves Grand Wizards. They haven't got any magic powers.
Dan: Of racism, though.
Gav: Of being racist. How or what?
Dan: I'm the greatest at being racist.
Gav: If I think of a wizard, I think of Gandalf or, you know, Harry Potter. I don't think of a stupid man being racist. I'm going to be really, really racist. I'm going to be the leader of a racist gang. What are you going to call yourself?
Dan: The wizard.
Gav: No, no, the grand wizard.
Dan: That's who I am. So everyone knows me as the grand wizard. And we're going to have fate like sacks on our faces, big cloths.
Gav: Nathan Befred Weiss.
Dan: Terry's wife's been sewing all of her face masks together. We've got a load and we could get horses. We're going round and people whose skin color is darker than ours by a bit. We're going to kill them.
Gav: Why?
Dan: Why? Well, their skin's a bit darker.
Gav: All right.
Dan: Anything else? No, that literally is it. It's literally that.
Gav: Well, it's the 1800s. We've got no TV.
Dan: And I'm a Grand Wizard of doing this as well.
Gav: Yeah, so he's believed to have served as the KKK's first Grand Wizard. And he reportedly, him and his men killed over 200 people. So nice chap.
Dan: It's a shame people don't realize, like racist people don't realize, that we're actually all the same human, we're just different shades, because we're not white. We're like a very, very, very lighter brown ourselves. If you really think about it, we're not white. If you put a bit of paper next to us, we're not white. So it's just odd.
Gav: My kids are learning about race at the moment and skin color. And Edith describes herself as peach.
Dan: Oh, bless her. Children are great, though, because they're innocent and not been corrupted. So they tell you exactly how it should be almost, you know?
Gav: Yeah. On Friday the 13th in 1989, there was a computer virus called the Friday the 13th virus that swept through the United Kingdom. Hundreds of computers were affected by the virus, which deleted all of the files on your computer. It's pretty annoying, because in 1989, didn't have a lot going on anyway on your computer. So, yeah, and if it didn't delete your files, then it just slowed your computer right down.
Dan: And again, these computers were shit anyway at that point. I remember, I went to music college when I was like 22, for a year, learning about computers. And they had teached us on PCs at the time. So I was at home just trying to ask, mom, can I borrow your laptop? Yeah, OK, I'm trying to write music and put software. And it was just terrible, really was, compared to how I am nowadays and stuff.
Gav: Beep, beep, beep.
Dan: It was not that, it was just trying to get the shit to work. You know, it's just like, this is not working. You have to put sound cards in these whack shit sound cards anyway.
Gav: PCs. In 1952, a Swedish flight was flying over the Baltic Sea on Friday the 13th and vanished.
Dan: The thing is, shit happens all the time. It's a coinkydink most of the time, if it's Friday the 13th, though, you know.
Gav: I've never found it in all these years. There was a huge bush fire in Victoria, Australia, the biggest.
Dan: Come on, come on. It's just things happening on that day.
Gav: That was in 1940.
Dan: It's a big world. Something's going to happen on one of those days. Every time.
Gav: I stubbed my toe. You stubbed your toe? No, I didn't. And final one is that it's predicted that in 2029, this asteroid that they're all talking about, that's coming really close to the Earth in a few years, 2029, it's most likely to hit on Friday the 13th in 2029. If it doesn't hit us, it will come very close to our planet. We may feel some effect from it. It may cause tsunamis or earthquakes. It might just be far away. Bruce Willis might go up, well, he won't anymore, bless him. Someone might go up there and blow it up. Yeah.
Dan: Um, Tom Cruise, if it's going to be anyone.
Gav: He's that man. Jackie Chan and Tom Cruise, send them up there now.
Dan: I have Tom Cruise. Jackie Chan's got that now. Send Cruise. He's small. Small push him in a little rocket, he'll be all right.
Gav: Jackie's all right, he'll get up there and do something.
Dan: They're pretty small, aren't they?
Gav: They are.
Dan: What about a thing that they've detected coming into our solar system?
Gav: Yeah, yeah. It's been a couple of things, actually.
Dan: It's the third thing that's come into the solar system, which is traveling at its own ferocity, which is more than a meter high, which is like, what is that? So I was like, oh, the third one. So it's not that exciting. But still, it is kind of a bit because they're like, you don't know what it is and why is it doing this? It's got its own propeller rate. You know, it's got its own going along.
Gav: They've also detected a couple now of radio signals being transmitted from far off in the galaxy.
Dan: They have that as well, yeah, yeah.
Gav: And the other one that I read about the other day was they witnessed with an amazing telescope, two black holes.
Dan: Was it James Redbaugh, the new one?
Gav: Slamming into it. The one that's in...
Dan: They've just released a new one, but there is the James Redbaugh. It's been out for like two years.
Gav: It's like the size of a village. It's massive. So they've seen with this telescope, they've seen two black holes collide into each other, which apparently completely twists the fabric of space and time. And obviously it's millions of light years away from us, but we may end up feeling some effects of that ripples, you know, in however many years.
Dan: It's just actually the whole thing is this is why I like people fighting or being racist stuff. It's just like it's just pathetic things which shouldn't be even included in people's minds. There's no point even spending any of your amazing time on this planet and your brain. It's incredible that we're alive and exist and fascinating, wasting on being racist and being hurtful and moaning about someone who's parked badly or whatever, you know. But yeah, it's just such an incredible thing. Just a whole planet and the whole universe, everything. But as technology has got better, we are like James Webb Telescope. We could push the telescope out to space and it's already going to be a very powerful one. And they've got another one coming out soon, but it will get more and more. And with AI helping also create telescopes and create different ways for us to do things, because we're going to discover crazy shit out there. And realize that we are so small, so small.
Gav: Because this black hole thing, I was trying to get my head around like, a black hole is slammed into another black hole. What is that? Do they merge together? Do they cancel each other out? And they're trying to figure out what it means.
Dan: It makes a pink hole.
Gav: Oh, I've seen one of those. I've seen a black hole, I've seen a pink hole, I've seen them all. There we go. Well, I think it is a superstition. It's a fun one.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: I don't really abide by it. If it's a Friday the 13th, it doesn't affect my life. I don't walk on the ladders. I don't open umbrellas over my head inside.
Dan: There's a few superstitions I've got. I don't like walking on a ladder, but I just don't want the ladder for me.
Gav: Or a tin of paint.
Dan: A tin of paint.
Gav: Don't want that. Or a bucket.
Dan: No, not at all. So.
Gav: But there we go. But I think that's Friday the 13th. Talking of Friday the 13th, Bill, if you'd like to take a side of it, we're going to Manhattan, aren't we?
Dan: As it is Friday. Oh, it isn't, is it? I was about to say as it's Friday the 13th, it's not. I was going to say tomorrow I might watch Saturday the 14th. I won't then. All right. But I'm wrong.
Gav: We should cover that some day, then.
Dan: I was about to say Bob. No, Bill.
Gav: Billy Bob. Take a side of you.
Dan: Slipper son, Bill. Wow, yeah.
Bill: That's all the time we've got for this week on World Of The Strange. Next week, though. Hairless pets.
Dan: Friday the 13th, part 8, Jason Takes Manhattan. Now, New York has a new problem. Friday the 13th, part 8, Jason Takes Manhattan. 1989, race is 18, an hour and 40 minutes. Jason, for he's accidentally awakened from his watery grave and ends up stalking a ship full of graduating high school students headed to Manhattan, New York. 4.5 out of 10 on IMDB. That doesn't bode well.
Gav: That's quite a low score, I think.
Dan: It's a bit trying to do obviously like is X like, right, you know, they possibly listen to the fans a little bit. Obviously, you didn't have the Internet forums and such, but you still could have found out what's going on, fan mail or whatever. I reckon either they listen to fans who were maybe bored of the woods and wanted to go somewhere else, or they decided, look, come on, if we're doing this, we need to do something else. Or as Zach said, go and get Jason, take him somewhere else. And so, yeah, why not?
Gav: Which is which is fair by this point.
Dan: Absolutely. And one, you know, you know, you kind of need to. Yeah, this is part eight. So doing something a little bit fresher is fine. So, you know, but at the end of the day, looking at it now, how many years later, if I was going to watch one of these movies, I'm probably going to do one set of The Camp. Yeah, because that's that's that's what I dig. You know, we got Kane Hoerner back again.
Gav: Back again.
Dan: But yes, it's really confused me. And it makes sense because I was like, is she psychic? I don't know. Nobody's had a discussion whatsoever for this movie of what's going on. So, yes, it's a bit weird.
Gav: So as discussed, this was originally supposed to be a direct sequel to the last one with Tina back again.
Dan: Which would have made sense.
Gav: You know, she's cured, she's getting on this boat. She's got another doctor now or her uncle in this case. And the actress didn't want to come back and do it. So they had to hastily rewrite it, which is why the girl in this is similar to Tina Renny. And she has a phobia of water because of a traumatic incident on a lake, which they rewrote to be her uncle throwing her overboard to help her swim. When she was a kid, rather than her killing her dad with her psychic powers. And yeah, you can really feel that it was... The bare bones of this is a sequel to the last one. And it was supposed to be the middle of a trilogy, the Tina Trilogies. You have the Tommy Trilogy, and we're going to have the Tina Trilogy. But they went off in a different direction with it. That's that, really. Kane Hodder came back, and he's back in the one after this as well. So that was cool. Other than that, nobody else is in it. We do get the connection again, though, with him being under the water and being woken up, which we'll get to when we get into the story. It's an interesting one. I think it's a lot of fun because it encapsulates a late 80s New York quite well, even though it was filmed in Vancouver. They did film some bits, obviously, in Times Square. It's got that kind of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle steam coming out the ground. There's talk of toxic ooze towards the end of it. All that kind of stuff, punks and hip hop and boom boxes and all that stuff. Although, it's only the last act that's really in New York.
Dan: I thought, I felt like the punk should have been listening to punk. But I did know the punk did like hip hop as well. That was a thing in New York, but that was more early 80s actually. But I thought they should have been listening to punk.
Gav: What I like about this as well is it brings back a bit of comedy to Jason himself. There's a few scenes that are quite funny in this, where he does a couple of things that are quite funny. Particularly when he shows the punks his real face to scare them away. He didn't need to do anything more. My wife was sat watching it. She laughed at that bit. She said, what's under there? I said, well, whatever it was, was enough to scare away those punks with their knives. So that's quite funny. She's like, you didn't even need to do anything. They just ran. I said, and it's funny, isn't it? You know, and it is a fun one. I prefer this one to the last one for sure. Definitely though, I agree with you. If I'm going to go, I usually end up watching one that sat in the woods. But I appreciate that they took it to New York. I appreciate it's a bit of a voyage of the Demeter in the Middle Act. There's almost a direct reference to that when the boat shows up at the harbor and somebody sees it with blood all over it, just like the Demeter when it showed up, you know, at the harbor in the book.
Dan: Let's get into it. It starts off with a really shit rock ballad over the credits kind of thing. It's not really a ballad, but it's not shit.
Gav: It's fucking brilliant. It's awful. Wow. Well, I completely disagree with you on that one. It's a brilliant song.
Dan: Oh my God. No, it's terrible. Absolutely terrible. We agree to disagree on this one.
Gav: It's the song called The Darker Side Of The Night. It's a very Lost Boys 80s rock song.
Dan: What's up with this shit rock ballad I've got for the credits? That's my notes. All right, fair enough.
Gav: And it does start off like the TMNT movie, in that you get to see all this sort of crime happening around New York.
Dan: A montage of city life junkies and gangs.
Gav: Yeah, people mugging people, and trains and traffic and steam and rats and graffiti. And my notes say, great song. Sorry, Gav. Steam From The Sewers, which I've seen is a real thing in New York. Don't know why it is a real thing. When I took my wife there, she was like, there is actually steam. I was like, yes, there's actually steam. I don't know where it comes from. What knows? Maybe it's just a couture thing, and they just pump it out from dry ice just to make it look better. And then just as we cut away from the junkies doing heroin in an alleyway, we're back at Crystal Lake. And there's a boat on the lake.
Dan: Oh, that's where the boat is. I didn't know that. I didn't know it was going to be home. But I got to say, with this one, there's a couple of kills. I'm going to be like, what happened? I missed it because things move like this at times.
Gav: Yes, because it's an hour and 40 minutes, but it really doesn't feel like that.
Dan: I'm writing a note and literally something's happening. It's like, well, I can rewind back, but at times I sometimes do that. But some of the times I like to just try and keep the film going so I get the whole feeling rather than disrupting it.
Gav: Well, there's a couple on this boat.
Dan: Oh, God, they're listening to the same fucking song from the credits on the radio. They play it again. I was like, fuck's sake, you were probably like, great.
Gav: Yeah, because I love that song. And a lot of people do.
Dan: Yeah, I'm sure everyone loves it.
Gav: Our buddy, RJ McCready, me and him send each other songs occasionally and say, song of the day. And he sent this song to me a couple of weeks ago. Funny enough, fair enough. But if you don't like it, you don't like it.
Dan: Yeah, yeah, cool. I'm just me. You are you. RJ is RJ.
Gav: So this couple on the boat on Crystal Lake, they decide, bad idea this, to get frisky on the boat. Why?
Dan: Oh, yeah, getting jiggy with it. He says to her, It's the second Will Smith song I've sung, and I don't even really like Will Smith.
Gav: I'm going to Miami. He says to her, I'm just going to go drop anchor on her.
Dan: Girls, I like girls, I like girls, girls. I like them, girls. Fuck off, Will.
Gav: All right, Will.
Dan: Get rid of that woman. That's what you need to do.
Gav: He says to this girlfriend, I'm going to go drop anchor on her, which at one point I thought meant.
Dan: Dude, I thought it was actually, I thought it was him taking a pee off the side of the boat. But it could be, it could be taking a dump. It could be slipping his schlong into her. I don't know. I'm going to go drop anchor. Want to see me drop anchor?
Gav: Right. You know, that sounds like taking a shit, really.
Dan: It does, though, drop an anchor is like shit, because the anchor is quite weighty. I'm not going to dump it. Do you want me to see me drop an anchor on you?
Gav: No, not really.
Dan: You want shit on me? No, no, no, no.
Gav: No, he's a bit of a dickhead, this guy, because he is basically setting her up for a big prank. He tells her all about the murders at Camp Crystal Lake and Jason, and she's like, oh, don't, you're making me a bit scared. He's like, OK, well, I'll go off and sort the anchor out.
Dan: No, he goes, no, it's Jason, he was dead and he was killed.
Gav: It's all right, it's a story.
Dan: It's not, I'm going to go out now.
Gav: He goes off. Now, while he does actually drop the anchor for real, what he doesn't know is that underneath Camp Crystal Lake. The quinky dink, the Jason that he's been telling about was right underneath his boat. What is the chances of that happening? Gav, it's Friday the 13th, bad things happen on that day, it's been explained. So, his anchor catches on a huge power cable, which electrifies Jason's corpse. Which brings him back in. He's reanimated again, he loves a bit of the old electricity, doesn't he, Jason? Hi, Jason. Guess who's back, back again?
Dan: It's Jason.
Gav: Yes. So, we see Jason's body being electrified, reanimated, and his hands climb.
Dan: If they want to do something new, maybe start here, not use an electric to bring him back again.
Gav: A different way, I don't know. Fucking voodoo summering, I don't know. I think this is the third film in a row where he's brought back with either lightning or electricity. Yeah, yeah. We see his hands climb on board the boat, and the boyfriend is... Oh, sorry, the girlfriend suddenly is stabbed, but it's a fake knife.
Dan: From a really weedy looking fucking Jason.
Gav: And it's actually her boyfriend.
Dan: Oh, and he's got a knife that goes in and out.
Gav: Oh, he's so funny.
Dan: He doesn't even really make you much of a joke. It's the worst act in both of them here. This is a form of act in which is called method act in, which is called non act in. I'm going to go to work today and not actually act. I'm just going to say words. There you go. Stabbed. So bad.
Gav: This is the Dennis Reynolds School of Seduction. Take a girl out on a boat.
Dan: The implication is already there.
Gav: The implication is already there.
Dan: It's the implication.
Gav: He's basically like, I'm going to dress up as Jason and tend to stab her with a fake knife. That will make her really horny.
Dan: I love that bit when Dennis does that on the boat and he gets the woman down the stairs. And she's like, no, no, where are you going? Jason puts her hand over the shoulder and she can't move. It's like, oh my god, don't worry. It's not the implication that we're out in the ocean and stuff. But I know you've been looking at me. What? It's so creepy. He's like Ted Bundy.
Gav: It does make her horny because they start to get back to business when you hear some squishy, wet footsteps. And Jason picks up a nice big harpoon gum.
Dan: And it's Cain Hodder again.
Gav: It is Cain Hodder. He shoots the harpoon, but he's been under the water for a while. He misses the first shot.
Dan: He's a bit rusty.
Gav: He is, he's like a fucking owl. God damn it. So he just misses her head, but he does manage to pull out the boyfriend's guts with his bare hand.
Dan: The girl gets out the window just behind them because the guy's pretty much in shock, which is fairly natural responses. It's not too bad.
Gav: Yeah, he gets his guts ripped out.
Dan: It is a bit of a rubbish kill. They don't really see much. It's a very quick shot again.
Gav: She hides in a little storage box, and Jason finds her, of course. Then she just goes, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah.
Dan: For ages. Oh my God. Get a better screamer. What is going on? The acting is very bad. I wish I had recorded.
Gav: He stabs her with a big spear.
Dan: It's pretty lame.
Gav: And that's that. And that's your opening act.
Dan: We're at the morning of the boat setting off for sail. So we get a different folk come along who are aboard in the boat. And we get to sort of know some of them a little bit.
Gav: Yeah, the boat is called the ship is called the Lazarus. OK. And it's basically taking a group of students who are graduating on a trip to New York, an educational trip to New York, which they're all very excited about. Some of the girls are packing a bit of 80s cocaine. They're all great. There's a little disco room. There's a gym and a sauna. It's a brilliant boat. You wouldn't want to leave the boat really. It's got everything on it that you want really. Cocaine, disco, gym, sauna. It's got it all. Yeah. Got everything on there you want. So yeah, you're right. All the students start to arrive and we meet Renny, who is, you know, the replacement for Tina. She doesn't have psychic powers though or telekinetic powers. And her mum, well, it's not her mum, but like her teacher drives her there and says, you can do this, Renny, you're going to be a great writer. Although you had a traumatic childhood incident, which will be delved into throughout the rest of this film.
Dan: Kind of.
Gav: And it's to do with Walter.
Dan: And it's part of part seven, which was the last film, Wink At The Audience. But you are going to be a great writer. Because we had to recast some Wink At The Audience.
Gav: She says, go to New York, get some inspiration. And by the way, I've somehow bought Stephen King's pen.
Dan: The eBay doesn't exist, but somehow I was in an auction house and they sold me your pen, Stephen King's pen.
Gav: She says, apparently it belongs to Stephen King. Like, apparently, that's what some guy in a fucking shot story.
Dan: That's what a guy in the alley said to you. Oh my, I know a girl, she's a massive Stephen King fan. Oh, hang on.
Gav: Is this pen?
Dan: Stephen King's. Do you want to buy it?
Gav: Better than anyone. Oh, God, yes. My my daughter loves Shakespeare. Oh, I've got his pen here.
Dan: I've got a feather over here, which he used to write with.
Gav: Couldn't be in anyone. It's a quill. Brilliant. So, yeah, she's got this pen. She does use it later on, which is good, but not in the way you'd expect, because the pen is mightier than the sword, Gav.
Dan: I know. The headmaster type guy seems to be like the headmaster, the main motherfucker, teacher guy. He's the same people.
Gav: The main motherfucker.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Imagine if that was the... Imagine that instead of the principal's office.
Dan: The main motherfucker.
Gav: The principal, right? You've been... You're in trouble. You need to go to the main motherfucker's office. Damn straight.
Dan: And he's a bit like the two folks haven't turned up, which obviously you hear have been... What was that all about? He's implying that the two people who are already on another boat at Camp Crystal Lake haven't turned up.
Gav: What?
Dan: Where?
Gav: What?
Dan: They were just going to leave that boat there? Were they going to send bring their boat? What was going on? So that's implying it.
Gav: I don't know, but we do see that boat in a moment. Makes sense. Because we've got a new crazy Ralph, like almost like crazy Ralph Soneys. Like, it's go to the harbinger.
Dan: Yeah, we always have to have that.
Gav: And he, while he's sort of saying, you're all going to die on that boat. We see the boat from the opening scene wash up with blood all over it. Crazy Ralph sees this. Doesn't think to alert the authorities in any way.
Dan: That washed up?
Gav: Yeah, it washed up next to the Lazarus. How was it in the lake in the first place? Well, this is the plot hole. The lake is not connected to any ocean, is it?
Dan: No, it's a lake.
Gav: But you kind of have to overlook the fact that the boat got out.
Dan: Teleported like Jason, yeah?
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Jason sent it over there.
Gav: But of course, Gav, this is how Jason gets to them because he was hanging on to the boat.
Dan: Yeah. Oh, my God.
Gav: That's how he gets to the boat.
Dan: Oh, my God.
Gav: How did you think he got there?
Dan: I'm going to hang on to this and just go wherever it goes and get on the next boat and just catch a boat.
Gav: Well, I imagine he was just because he killed them. I imagine he was just driving the boat like a pirate. Captain Hatt. Drinking rum.
Dan: The head motherfucker is a bit annoyed that he is actually the guardian and also uncle to Renny, and he's a bit annoyed that this teacher lady's brought her along because he's like, no, I assume that he said, stay wherever you are. You're not coming. You're just going to stay here. And I'm going on a trip to New York. You're just going to stay here.
Gav: But apparently, he's the guardian.
Dan: And he's like, what's she doing here? And he's like, surely you would, if that was your kid, you would be a bit more like, what the fuck are you doing?
Gav: You can't just do this.
Dan: This is if he's the legal guardian. So it's all very weird. And he's just like, oh, OK, just let her on. It's so bizarre.
Gav: Well, he didn't want to there, I think, partly because of her phobia of water.
Dan: Yeah, I know the reason, but it's the whole things, the whole.
Gav: But these films love it. These films love, if you've got a phobia, they just go on water.
Dan: So we've been introduced to those. We're now going to be introduced to the captain of the boat, who's not really that much because he gets killed and is second in charge. But we also, it's basically his son and his son, Sean, who is a main character, who's like, oh, what do you want to do, son? I want you to drive this boat for me. And he's disappointed because he doesn't blow the horn and all this sort of stuff.
Gav: He says, what do you do first? And he sort of presses a couple of buttons and he's fucked it, Sean.
Dan: Basically. And it's just like, oh, God, dad, sorry, I can't be a Navy captain like you. And his mates with him as well. But this is the classic, like his mate says nothing. And then later on, we're like, oh, we need to kill someone. Who have you got? Oh, grab that one, put him there. And all of a sudden, his mate will run out and go, won't say anything and get killed by Jason on the bird of the crow's nest. But it's just another case of body count, rather than actual substance of characters, arcs or anything, they may even say dialogue.
Gav: I think that there is some substance in some places. Like Sean clearly is trying to live up to his dad's expectations. And that's why in the end, he navigates the boat.
Dan: I'm saying there's no substance in these characters who are just not even saying anything. There's no substance, because they're just for the body kill, that's all. No, Sean and all those guys, there's a substance there, the story behind those guys and the arc and stuff. Even though Renny's is a bit confusing, I'll explain.
Gav: Jason, we see him climb aboard the Lazarus, so he's now on board with the Maw. And this is where Crazy Ralph says, This voyage is doomed. It's got a death curse. And the party boat departs. What did he say?
Dan: He's got a death curse. May as well.
Gav: May as well have done. We get a little quick whistle stop tour of the boat. We can see there's a disco room.
Dan: 80s music montage of the ship's activities.
Gav: There's clay pigeon shooting. I've written here, disco, clay pigeon shooting, fun, kissing. All these things happen. Sean and Renny, it turns out, are a couple. And I think that's why Charles, her uncle, did another reason she didn't want, he didn't want her to come, because he knows that Sean's a bit of a bad boy. Doesn't want to, you know, hanging out with him. And he says to her, you shouldn't be here. I don't know why you're here with Stephen King's pen. For fuck's sake. You were supposed to be Tina from the other film. I don't know why you're here.
Dan: It's exactly the dialogue and what he says to her.
Gav: And then we've got the fucking King Uber Yeet Quwain.
Dan: Camcorder guy.
Gav: The King with the biggest camcorder, biggest glasses and the most biggest hair.
Dan: Thing was though, looking at him then, yeah, we're looking at his gig. Looking at him then, he was kind of coolish with glasses, big hair and the stuff. He wasn't that bad.
Gav: And he's friends with a girl called JJ who is a rock chick. She loves rocking out on the guitar.
Dan: He's making a shit music video. Basically, he's just got a camera and he's just going to film whatever because he wants to be a film student. So he says, I'm filming everything all the time. She's like, film me here. I'm playing guitar. It's like, this could be a bad music video, by the way. But okay.
Gav: And she asks him about the blonde chick, the cocaine girl, as we'll call her. And he's like, yeah, I think she's so hot. And she's like, she'll never get with a guy like you. What are you talking about?
Dan: The rock chick? The rock chick's properly into him.
Gav: She's all right, though, isn't she? Well, she, the rock chick, JJ, she heads downstairs into the engine room where there's all these cool ladders and walkways.
Dan: She says there'll be some real good acoustics downstairs, I want to go play guitar down there.
Gav: So she goes down, starts wailing her guitar, but we see Jason's legs following her down there. Uh-oh, so we know something's going to happen.
Dan: Uh-oh, spaghetti, oh.
Gav: We start learning that Renny has some sort of trauma, as we mentioned, and apparently this trip will help her. Well, it's not. I can tell you now, Renny, it's not going to help. All your friends are going to die. In brutal bloody ways, you're going to get almost gang raped by some guys in New York, injected with heroin, and you're barely going to get out alive in a tunnel for toxic waste.
Dan: You're almost going to be lost in the sea.
Gav: It's not going to be good.
Dan: It's not, it's pretty shit all round. You should have probably just done what a head motherfucker said and stayed at home.
Gav: Head honcho motherfucker.
Dan: Head honcho motherfucker.
Gav: So we cut back to JJ, the rock chick. She's in the engine room rocking out with a guitar. And Jason approaches her. She runs, but he grabs her, splits her head open, and we do get a really good kill with the blood splats all over the camera, which is almost a fourth wall break. I do like that. She's killed with a guitar. So that's the first one on the boat dead there. Nice one, Jason. Jason wanders around a little bit, you know, afterwards like, who's next? Having a little wander around. He sees Renny in her bedroom. So he's spying on her, probably having a little Anthony Birkins.
Dan: Oh, a little Tim Bundy.
Gav: Or a little Vince Vaughan. And while she's in her room, she hears, mommy, mommy, help me. And again, this is a weird leftover plot from what would have been Tina. Because why is Renny hearing visions of baby Jason?
Dan: With no explanations. I'm like, what's going on here? But it doesn't matter because then all of a sudden she sees the baby of Jason in the porthole.
Gav: Imagine the Nirvana cover. Yeah, yeah, yeah. But instead of a baby, it's got a slot space in there. But her dog sees it too. How? Does he have flashbacks? Like Hills Have Eyes Part 2? What is going on with this dog? The dog looks up and goes, oh, what? How does the dog see this? That means it's actually there.
Dan: Outside there, there's just a little boy floating of liquid around him.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: This makes no sense.
Gav: The dog's thinking, what is going on here?
Dan: Like I was.
Gav: Part 2, the introduction of my favorite character, Julius, in the gym. The lads are boxing. Julius is the boxer. He's undefeated and he's beating the crap out of his friend in a boxing match. And the two cocaine girls are watching from the skylight above. They're like, oh my God, he's so hot.
Dan: Oh, Julius.
Gav: Oh my God. Look how hot he is. And he knocks this guy out and then he looks up at them and just gives them a little wink. He's such a cool dude. Just such a cool. We've all been there. We've all knocked someone out and winked over at two cocaine girls. Yep. It's fine.
Dan: It's my normal Saturday.
Gav: And then the girls see a boat hand come over and they're like, oh, flirt with him quick. He's not interested. He's just there to do it.
Dan: He's like Captain Sun's mate. You see him then, later on, they needed the death killer killed. And I was like, who's that? I was like, oh, that's the guy we just saw walking along the corridor once. We didn't say a word. Oh, OK.
Gav: Well, you know, it's just another...
Dan: It's fine.
Gav: Another notch on Jason's belt.
Dan: I'm not dissing it at all. It's fine. It's a body count. But I'm just saying that he's another one of those.
Gav: Now Uncle Charles, the head hauncher, motherfucker, as you like to call him, he is suddenly thinking, well, hang on a minute, I need to go and keep an eye on Renny. Where is she? So he goes off and he accidentally walks in on the girls doing coke. Doing the old Chazawaza Charlie.
Dan: He's like, are you doing drugs?
Gav: They're like, no. What are you talking about? She's got like a white bit around her, but she hasn't. But it'd be pretty obvious if he was on two people doing coke, what they were doing. So he's Uncle Charles. He doesn't know.
Dan: I saw this photograph the other day. It's an event, a family day. Everyone's all dressed up nice and this girl just looking. There's a picture of her.
Gav: I've seen it.
Dan: You've seen it. And they were sort of smiling. She said, Oh God. And it cuts to the other way around and stuck to her phone from her pocket. It's a baggie of coke. But no one else has seen it yet. And she's hoping no one sees it.
Gav: Have you seen the video of Bobby Brown forming in the early 90s? And he picks it back up in a smooth dance move, picks it back up and pops it in his pocket and carries on.
Dan: But you got it, yeah.
Gav: Bobby Brown, ain't nobody humping around.
Dan: Just smacking up people instead.
Gav: Two can play that game. Whatever the other songs are that he did. So yeah, because Renny popped in just before Uncle Charles, these two cocaine girls think that Renny threw them under the bus and grass them up. So I'm going to teach that bitch a lesson. She's a snitch. She didn't, but anyway, that's enough of that. So we cut to the guy in the sauna. Here we go. This is a good death. I like this one. He's like, while I'm on this boat, I'm going to relax. I'm going to go in the sauna with a towel on my face, put some hot coals down, relax. It walks Jason, picks up a lump of coal, punches it into his chest. His chest cavity just catches fire and Jason just walks out.
Dan: It's not a long shot, but yeah.
Gav: It's cool. It's a bit of a final destination death, but I quite like it. That's another death. We're getting them very quickly now, the deaths. Several already. Renny is pushed overboard by the girl, the bitch, cocaine girl. What the fuck is up with this boat, Doc?
Dan: Why is there no rails?
Gav: She just sort of elbows her and she goes, ah, splash.
Dan: She pushes a little bit on purpose, and she falls off this massive ship into the ocean in the middle of the night. Do you know how dangerous this situation is right now? And how easily she will get lost at sea and you won't find her.
Gav: A kid died the other day.
Dan: It's easy as fuck to currently get you in seconds and take you, and you've got, you're swimming, you know, you're fucking... And she just thinks it's a great old laugh, but I was just like, where the fuck are the barriers there? That's ridiculous. So the captain's lad dives in because a big old ship as well dives into the water, rescues her, they get her out.
Gav: Well, just before he rescues her, little Diddy Jason's under the water grabbing her legs.
Dan: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Gav: Which scares her.
Dan: And the coke heads, they go off, and the two of them, the blonde one's like, that's funny, wasn't it?
Gav: What?
Dan: You almost killed someone. You don't even know if they're still actually going to be pulled up yet. They might be dead, like, and you are going to go to prison. Just for a laugh. But her mate sees this and her mate's like, no, I'm not interested in you. And just goes off, she goes, oh, what sort of friend are you?
Gav: We don't hang out with murderers. It's announced that Renny can't swim and has a terrible fear of water due to a childhood incident.
Dan: So why the fuck is not a safety barrier on the ship for this person? The head motherfucker said, stay at home, stay at home, motherfucker.
Gav: And Charles, Uncle Charles is very cross, but he turns around, he bumps into crazy Ralph's son who says, he's back, you know, you're all going to die on this boat. And he's like, what the fuck's going on here? Rennie keeps elucidating about baby Jason this time in the bathroom mirror.
Dan: With no explanation of why?
Gav: I think because she had the traumatic incident on Camp Crystal Lake when she was little.
Dan: Forever now she sees Jason.
Gav: Baby Jason, not even just Jason, baby Jason, like six year old Jason. Grabbing at her legs. She can't even look in the mirror and brush her teeth. He's in the mirror. But it's a great shot of him smashing out the mirror and grabbing at her. And I don't know if the dog sees this one or not, but.
Dan: Do you like how now Coke girl wants to get top marks from head motherfucker?
Gav: This is brilliant.
Dan: Yeah, teacher knocks at her door. Miss, miss, whatever your name is. I need to come on. I need to test results. He must have said to back at class. Right. That's it. Everyone's handed in. We're going on a trip now. You should have handed your project in. Right. I will let you hand it in to me on the boat. That must have been what happened. So he goes there.
Gav: It was the scene before. So when he walked in on them doing the Coke, he suspected they were up to something. He said, I'm going to make sure when we get to New York, you're not allowed to leave the boat because I suspect you're up to something and you're late with your biology report.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: So this is why she's crossed with Renny. So she thinks, OK, I'll give him a biology report. So she writes all the body parts on her body.
Dan: A hardy, fucking pathetic amount.
Gav: I would happily. I would.
Dan: Really? She's right. It's nothing amazing.
Gav: I was about 16 when I saw this.
Dan: Oh, when you're 16. Yeah, I'm not saying now.
Gav: Yeah, but those memories stay. Yeah, I know. So he walks in on her.
Dan: It was that funny that time when I told you I watched Halloween H2O again and the girl with dark hair, one of the guy's girlfriends in it. I remember thinking, she's so hot.
Gav: And when she watched it again, she's like 15, but I'm like 40.
Dan: This doesn't seem the same anymore. And then I saw her a couple of months ago and when we were at a convention and she was that, which was really weird.
Gav: And I was like, oh, there's you.
Dan: You still have a crush on you. But strange.
Gav: Did you tell her?
Dan: No, no, it's weird. I didn't want to. She didn't have many people lining up for all across.
Gav: God forbid you ever meet Daniela Harris.
Dan: Yeah, I know. And the annoying thing is I'll probably have to tell her, won't I?
Gav: Do you remember that email you got from me about 20 years ago?
Dan: No, not really. Oh, I was the weird one that you read on Facebook and we went, mmm. I was drunk. I do apologize.
Gav: We're like brother and sister. This comes up every twice a year, maybe the story on the show.
Dan: Yeah, I looked for it and I couldn't find it. Like, I don't know if, I don't know. Yeah, it could have all been a dream.
Gav: Well, anyway, let's make the picture. So teacher, headmaster, motherfucker has walked in the room. She's in a skimpy dressing gown. And he says, right, where's your biology report? She's like, well, it's right here. She takes off her dressing gown. She's wearing very skimpy underwear. She's got the body parts sort of written on her a little bit. And she's like, come on, let's explore my body. And she dives on him and starts kissing him. I'd say he fights her off, but he leaves it a good 10 seconds of kissing before he...
Dan: He falls back on the bed and says, whoa, no, no. And he's like, I'm getting some for the Wank Bank later. I'm going to have a little kiss now and then I'm going to go, no, you can't do this. I'm your teacher. Stop it. But it's too late because nerdy, nerdy camcorder guy who, because he loves her so much to do anything she says, even though it possibly ruins the chance of him going to film school, which it does, he helps blackmail the teacher for her. He's like, what are you getting out of this, dude? You're being a sucker.
Gav: So he videotapes the whole thing and he can obviously edit it to look like it was more than it was or whatever. And Uncle Charles is very cross about this and says, this isn't going to happen. And he storms out of the room. You're all in deep trouble. And she says to Wayne, don't worry. With what we've got on that tape, he can't do anything about it. And then Wayne says to Rina, I've got to tell you something. I've had a crush on you since 10th grade. And she just sort of laughs at him basically and says, oh well, see ya. And he goes off, very rejected. And as he walks off, Jason follows him.
Dan: So he got absolutely nothing out of that, but ruining his film chances going to film school. Great. Nice one.
Gav: That two girl in the shower, always good. Jason sneaks in and this is an interesting moment. He doesn't kill her. He's sort of snooping around. She actually sees Jason first and she thinks, oh my God, what's this? She puts her ear against the door and he smashes through the wall, smashes her head into the mirror, grabs a shard of glass.
Dan: But we don't see it. We don't see it.
Gav: It's off camera.
Dan: So he doesn't go to town. He goes fucking nowhere. No.
Gav: A thunderstorm hits. Of course it does. Lightning, thunder, rain, middle of the night. You got Jason on board. All you need is a thunderstorm. Great. Jason finds a huge, big hook. I don't know what this hook is used for, what purpose it has on a big ship like this. It's like a giant hook, but it's another weapon for him. And he goes in and kills the captain's mate. Yeah. And the captain as well, of course. Sorry, the captain finds the body first of all, then he gets his throat cut from behind. And that's weird because it looks like a good kill, but there's no blood. He sort of slices his throat from behind, but nothing really should have had a good geyser of blood gushing out of them, but nothing.
Dan: Nothing.
Gav: Nothing at all. So now there's no one driving the boat either. It's just sailing along, two dead men in the whatever they call the driving seat. What do you call it? Not the cockpit. Bridge. That's what you call it. The bridge. The cockpit. I'm not very good at terms. Words. Sean and Renny have a little conversation, and Sean says that I'm never going to be the man that my dad is. I don't want to be a captain of a boat, and I'm letting him die in everything I do. So let's run away together. And she's like, yeah, that's what I was planning on doing anyway. And then he finds his dead dad. And he's like, oh, shit. He grabs the tan.
Dan: That's about as much as a trauma he comes from finding his dad dead.
Gav: Oh, shit. Bloody hell.
Dan: He's not caught up about it in a sloth.
Gav: He grabs the tan, are we?
Dan: He's like, everybody come up on the dock, come up onto the deck or into the fucking room. The words. Coming to the words. We're all here waiting for you. Come in, please.
Gav: I'm going to get my dad's dead body, everyone.
Dan: They don't say that. Oh, for fuck's sake. They all go up and they open the door and there's a dead body there. I personally have not really seen a dead body. If I'm on a ship and they go, right, come up upstairs and open the door. They haven't prepared me. And there's a dead body.
Gav: The fuck is that?
Dan: There's a dead body. That's a dead body?
Gav: Oh, shit.
Dan: I'd be like.
Gav: Even more so if it's his dad.
Dan: Yeah, I'd be like, your dad's dead. Oh my God, what's happened? I'm so sorry.
Gav: What the fuck do we do?
Dan: I'd be in panic mode. Everyone that comes on is like, they just look down at it.
Gav: Is that your dad?
Dan: Like they look down at it like, is that a dead cat?
Gav: It's just so, do you know what I mean?
Dan: It's like, there's nothing at all. It's like, oh my God, come on, director, give them some motivation.
Gav: But maybe Sean's gone into sort of shock because he grabs the radio and starts calling May Day to the Coast Guard. But before we can really get the message out there, Jason yanks the cables. Of course he does.
Dan: We all like a bit of yanking of the cables.
Gav: Oh, and Crazy Ralph's son sticks his head in the bridge and says, Jason's back, you know.
Dan: Thanks, fucking crazy boat, Ralph.
Gav: Fuck off. We don't need it. We know, we get it. Great, he's here. Help us do something about it. Keep telling us Uncle Charles says Uncle Charles.
Dan: I don't believe the whole time is like, it's been Jason.
Gav: Stop it. He's been dead for years. And what would he be doing out in the middle of the ocean on a boat? He back on Camp Crystal Lake. What are you all talking about?
Dan: To be fair, it does make sense. And the teacher, the head motherfucker, thinks it's probably crazy boat, Ralph, which would make more sense as well. He has been going around saying everyone's going to die. So it's probably the first person to check out.
Gav: So, yeah, however, Julius and all the other kids. Let's go find Jason. Come on, Julius is always just like, I say, let's go get this motherfucker. And it's like, whoa, whoa, whoa, slow, slow down, slow down.
Dan: What a character which is dead. OK. But yeah.
Gav: And when he when he sort of tries to rally the kids up, the teacher says, I'm still in charge. You know, I'm your principal. And Julius drops the line. Yeah. Well, school is out.
Dan: Which is true. In a situation like that, it changes. It's quite good though. The movie changes here, which is something which we've not had before on Friday the 13th, where we now have a bunch of people stuck on a boat in a thunderstorm with a serial killer hunting them down. Jason, we've not had this before.
Gav: It's the voyage of the Demeter.
Dan: And we've not had this before, really. Jason does do that, but not in this sort of situation. So, it is different. I just don't think they pray. They don't sort of know that. I don't think they've looked at that themselves. They'll just step back and look to them and go, Oh, yeah, because I think they could really push that element more and made it quite suspenseful.
Gav: Well, here's another one for AI. Let's imagine that the kids venture down into the kitchen and they come across the cook who's Steven Seagal in Under Siege. And he's like, What are you kids doing in my kitchen? They're like, There's a killer on the loose. He's like, I'll go take care of him. It's Jason, Steven Seagal versus Jason.
Dan: I'd watch that.
Gav: Fucking great. Especially if Erika Eleniak pops out of the cake like she did in Under Siege.
Dan: Yeah, I was watching Family Guy yesterday and Steven Seagal turns up and I think someone's like, Oh, it's the dude in the wheelchair, the cop. He says, I've got Steven Seagal's come in to do some training. He does training for us, please. They're just standing there saying, why are you so fat though? Don't talk to him about his weight. Someone else goes, why are you so fat though? Why are you Native American, but you're going for all these different things?
Gav: What are you? It's because he's pretended so many things over the years. He's pretended he's Japanese, he's pretended he's Native American, he's pretended he's this, he's that. I think he's actually Italian.
Dan: It makes sense. To be fair, he lived in Japan for quite a long time actually.
Gav: He was one of the first white guys to train other people.
Dan: He did have some legit cred at a point, but then he's just gone a bit wacky over the years, hasn't he?
Gav: If you believe the stories, he did actually get sent off in Vietnam to be a one-man army, apparently. People do claim that some of that is true, that he was out there in Nam doing some of that shit.
Dan: He might have well done, but it's got lost in all the sort of rediculousness of his later years, isn't it? Some of the stuff like some of his martial arts.
Gav: My favorite quote ever is still DMX. When they interviewed DMX after one of the films he was in with him, and he said, what was it like working with Seagal? And he went, man, I'll never work with him again. That stupid motherfucker's got plastic hair. And it's like, that was his quote.
Dan: You never know, there might be a chance I might even pick that one for one of my birthday episodes one day. Because that's not too bad.
Gav: Exit Wounds, is it?
Dan: The Glimmer Man. Oh, what a shit.
Gav: Oh, that's from Modern Wings.
Dan: That's the one I was thinking of. It's not very good, but there is them two hunting a serial killer.
Gav: Exit Wounds is the one with DMX.
Dan: It is in the vein of horror, slowly.
Gav: Anyway, because he did some hip hop films, didn't he? He did that one with Cradle To The Grave with Jet Li and stuff like that.
Dan: No, I don't know. Let's get back on this. This is the Steven Seagal podcast.
Gav: Anyway, Renny says, I'm going to go drop anchor. So she goes down.
Dan: She's going to go into a dump.
Gav: Now we know what it means in this film. Oh, Jason's coming. I better go drop anchor. I've just dropped anchor in my pants. There's a bit of a red herring because there's an axe behind it, but not much happens with it. But Charles finds it and he says to her, what the hell are you doing dropping anchor in the middle of a storm in the ocean? And he sort of raises the anchor again. So they carry on sailing and they all start to realize that people around them are either missing or turning up dead. So the kids definitely do believe that there's Jason now.
Dan: The Coke pal finds the other Coke pal dead.
Gav: Yes, she does.
Dan: I love the fact she's like, oh, then Jason turns along. She's like, oh shit. So she runs off. Okay, you could run off and hide on the ship or you could run straight into the middle of the disco dance floor, which is all lit up music. And you could circle around it, going round and round in a circle and not actually hiding.
Gav: Well, Jason is going to find you. He's just going to walk up there.
Dan: That lit up musical point.
Gav: I've written here, Hodder's miming is amazing in this scene, because this again is him doing it all with his body. He walks in, there's balloons around him.
Dan: He somehow darts around like magic though, because she can't see where he is.
Gav: Which is like, how? He's huge. How can you not look at him? I've written the disco light seems to confuse her. I think she's a bit shocked and the disco lights are flashing in her face. But also, he can teleport now in this.
Dan: That must be it.
Gav: And this is the one and only time Jason has ever killed someone by strangling them.
Dan: Okay.
Gav: He picks her up off the ground, but he still only strangles her.
Dan: That's okay though, that's not too bad. I sometimes play Jason when I play Mortal Kombat X on the PlayStation and he can be Leatherface, Jason, Alien, different people. And he is quite a presence. Like you could do stuff like that, pick him up and he's huge. And it does look quite good. It's effective just doing that, picking something off like that on the neck. It's quite an effective kill even though, you know, it's bland.
Gav: If you're into WWF as it was, but then Kane.
Dan: I used to be when I was a kid.
Gav: If you know the character Kane, the wrestler Kane, he modelled himself on Jason. And even I think the reason he's called Kane is after Kane Hodder. And he's quite a presence. He wears a mask and picks people up like that and slams them around. So and he's apparently burned in a fire as well. So he wasn't really, but he wore the mask for all that.
Dan: Camera guy. The 80s camera guy has got his massive 80s camera on his shoulder. Also has a shotgun.
Gav: Where did he get the shotgun from? Oh, just before that, there's a scene. So the boys get all their weapons together. They all gather axes and guns.
Dan: I do wonder though, how he's going to, it's like put the camera down.
Gav: I know, I know. It's not a fan footage movie.
Dan: How he can shoot a fucking fan, a fan footage movie.
Gav: How you can shoot Jason with a shotgun.
Dan: But somehow he still does though, because he gets his glasses knocked off by a steam pipe. So you can't see. And I know what that's like when I go swimming and blinds are bad. You know?
Gav: Velma, Velma.
Dan: And then just see someone who shoots.
Gav: No, you're short sighted. Don't shoot the first blur that you see. Well, just before that, when they're doing the weapons, there's a fun moment with Julius being really hard again, where they're like, what are you going to use Julius? And he sort of looks at his hands and goes, I don't need anything. And then he thinks, actually I'll get a gun. Then he gets a gun as well. But yeah, you're right. So poor old Wayne without his glasses, he's wandering around and then he shoots who he thinks is Jason. It turns out to be that guy with no lines, the deckhand.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Well, you've killed something and he looks at him and he goes, no, no, no, no, no.
Dan: Then he's killed. And I missed it because I was just writing down the odd note. How did he die? It was so quick. If you blink, you miss it.
Gav: He trips over JJ, the Rock Chick's body from earlier.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: And then Jason grabs him and throws him on to a big fuse box where he fries. It's quite a good death. He gets electrocuted and fries.
Dan: It was very quick.
Gav: And that's what starts the fire on the boat. So this death causes the fire to start on the boat.
Dan: It's a catalyst for that.
Gav: Sean struggles to man and drive the boat. He's not like his dad. He's already told Renny that. So he's trying his best. And then he sees lots of lights and he says, oh my God, there's a fire in the main engine room. Oh no, this is really bad. What should we do?
Dan: I'm gonna say this movie does drag a bit because I think it's not a long movie, but I think because there's so much going on so quickly, it makes it feel like, oh God, now what? Now, do you know what I mean? It does, it gets to the point you're like, oh, come on. Especially when on the boat, go into Manhattan, that little rowboat, it drags.
Gav: I disagree. Like I said earlier, it's an hour and 40, but it doesn't feel like that to me.
Dan: It felt like it dragged me, but fair enough.
Gav: Sean manages to set them back on course. He's figured it out. He's remembered what to do. And Charles says, Well, I'm going to go and find the deck hand from earlier. He'll know how to drive the boat properly. I still don't believe in Jason. You kids are all crazy. You will stay here on the bridge with the two dead bodies, one of which is your dad, Sean. You will stay here and I'll go off and see what's going on. Some random guy outside tries to attack Jason. This is where he starts climbing up the mast to get away from Jason. And then somehow, Jason is up the mast with him in seconds, literally, and throws him down to his death, where he splats on the ground. So that's that. Yep. Teleportation. Julius finds his buddy's body, and then Julius gets thrown overboard. But fear not, he's not dead. He will come back later for a good old scrap. Rennie is locked in her room for her own good by her uncle, and she sees more visions of Jason. This time, the real Jason headbutts the glass of the little round window and grabs her, and she thinks, well, what am I going to use? What am I going to use? Ah, Stephen King's pen. She grabs that and stabs it in his eye through his eye hole. He pulls it out. He's not very happy about that. And Sean comes in the room and says, Oh my God, let's get out of here. You've just stabbed a mad man in the eye with Stephen King's pen. This is crazy. He doesn't say any of that, but, you know. Then there's a huge explosion and the rest of the group gather in the disco room, because if you're going to gather anywhere, go where the booze is, which is highly flammable, of course. But they all gather in the disco room. Charles goes into the kitchen. Uncle Charles goes into the kitchen looking for Steven Seagal. He's not in there, but he does find a flare gun. We get a random jump scare from Crazy Ralph's son, who just goes and runs off. There we go. And suddenly, the ship starts flooding. So Sean and Renny try to alert everybody and say, like, we've got to go. The ship's sinking. It's on fire and it's sinking and half of the people have been killed. Let's all get into a little lifeboat and sail away. Charles joins them. There's lots of tension. The disco room's flooded. Now, weirdly, there was everyone that was in the disco room, which was about eight kids. That's it. They're just dead now.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: And the only mention of this is when they all get in the lifeboat, they go, we got to go down to the disco room to get our buddies. And Sean just says the disco room doesn't exist anymore. So that's a quick way to kill off half the cast, isn't it?
Dan: How much does it affect budget for killing off 20-year-old people? Nothing. We just say they're dead.
Gav: We just say they're dead. They all get in the life raft and Jason just watches them angry. But also it's what he wants, Gav.
Dan: It's what he wants.
Gav: Julius does a jumpscare where he bursts out of the water and you think, oh, it's Jason. Oh, it's just Julius. It's fine. And he gets in. So there's five of them left now in the boat, including a dog.
Dan: In the rowboat, yeah.
Gav: The dog is called Ace, by the way, just so you know.
Dan: Ace.
Gav: That's his real name, Ace. And they start rowing. And they're rowing and they're rowing and they're rowing. And this is the bit you don't like, it drags. And poor old Sean's got his little computer that he's using to navigate. And he said, I'm never going to be like my dad. And then suddenly, they see New York, they see the Statue of Liberty. Sean, you did it. You can be like your dad. You got us here. And they arrive at the docks in probably one of the dodgiest looking parts of New York you could ever find.
Dan: It is the worst. Like later on, like you say, that this girl, like she's going to go through everything. It is like the worst place they could do. Yeah, it is quite a boring trip there. So, what's Jason doing here? Is he just walking on the wall under the ground?
Gav: I do not know how he gets there, but what I do know is, seconds after they wander off to get some help, Jason climbs out of the water. How on earth did he swim or walk or?
Dan: Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Gav: Teleport. But the main thing is he's now in New York. And the first thing he sees when he gets out is a big advert for the hockey stadium with a great big mask on there for the goalie.
Dan: He does.
Gav: And he breaks the fourth wall by looking around at the camera and tilting his head a little bit. Because it's that kind of movie. And I love it.
Dan: I absolutely love it. Yeah.
Gav: And suddenly, before they can even take three steps, they're mugged.
Dan: It's terrible, though.
Gav: It literally just got there.
Dan: And all of a sudden, it's like, all right, you're going to go be gang raped while jacked up on heroin.
Gav: Brilliant. Now, this scene and the next few scenes are the reason why the posters had to be changed, because one of the original posters is Jason ripping through the I love NY sign. And another one was him stood above the Manhattan skyline with blood dripping off his machete. And the New York tourist board were like, you're not painting a very good picture of New York. You need to get rid of the I love NY poster. So that's still used, but not, it wasn't really used in New York. And they removed the blood from the machete, the other one, because to be fair, they are basically saying as soon as you get off a boat in New York, you're going to get mugged, raped, injected with heroin, you know. They are not painting a good picture. I've been there and I didn't have any of those things happen to me. Twice I've been there, twice the chance. So, they get mugged.
Dan: Henry Rowlands, as famously a traveler, likes to find somewhere on a map and go, I'm going to go there and goes by himself. He loves it. He's been everywhere. He's been to Africa like 20 odd times, just all the different places. And he said the most dangerous place in the whole world he's been to is America.
Gav: Wow.
Dan: He said, I've nearly been, the only times I've nearly been killed is twice, was in America. So that's crazy, isn't it?
Gav: I don't think I've ever been nearly killed. I was going to say, I don't think I've ever been killed. Clearly I haven't. I don't think I've ever been nearly killed anywhere.
Dan: He was robbed when he was young, younger, with his mate, and his mate was shot and killed. He just got away.
Gav: Christ. He's a big, big hard bloke, though, isn't he, Henry Rollins?
Dan: Yeah, quite an intense person.
Gav: So these guys basically strip them of their wallets and watches, and then they see Renny and they're like, Hey, you want to come on a date with us?
Dan: Yeah, yeah, like, you follow us, man. We're going to fucking shoot you. They take it back, lay it down and jack up for heroin.
Gav: Well, hang on, before that, but before that, they take her off, and the second they get around the corner, Julius goes, well, what are we waiting for? Let's go kick their asses.
Dan: You're going to get shot.
Gav: Julius, calm down.
Dan: Let's go get a cop, which she goes and does, which is the thing is, though, it's a bit like that could be too late, but...
Gav: Uncle Charles says, I think we should all split up. It's going to be quicker if we all split up.
Dan: To try and find a cop, I suppose, pre-internet. And they lay her down and they jack her up and stuff, but I've known her and Alex. And when they jack up, it's sleepy to buys time. It's pretty much full on sleepy buys, or like, she doesn't really get like that a little bit, but not really. Yeah, one of the guys is like, hey, Jack, something's like, no, I think that's the fun of you. The other guy goes, okay, I'm going to go off to the shop or something. I don't know.
Gav: I'm going to get a chocolate bar.
Dan: I don't know, I'm going to get an ice lolly, because he comes back and says, oh, I forgot my wallet. But anyway, when he goes off, he's about to do the deed, but then Jason comes along and injects him.
Gav: He grabs the syringe and he stabs it in his back and pushes it out of his chest. So he pushes it all the way through.
Dan: It's really bad, but we don't see it. It's so cheap again, because we're close up of a syringe pushing through just some material, which supposed to be a t-shirt.
Gav: A t-shirt.
Dan: Oh no, that's so cheap.
Gav: And this is where the other guy comes back for his...
Dan: It's literally no effects.
Gav: And he shoots Jason, the other guy, who just keeps coming like the Terminator.
Dan: And the other guy, so Jason pushes him a little bit into a pipe and that kills him somehow. Oh my god, this is fucking pool. I get annoyed by these pathetic attempts. If you've got to do this body kill, because obviously it comes up to budget, we can't do this body count, we can't do much effects because it's time and money to do a good kill. But if you're just throwing the quantity over quality...
Gav: He should have held his face in front of it so the steam would melt his skin off his face or something.
Dan: I can't even just get him to scream and just have him holding or rub his face against brick wall and get him screaming. So many things you could do. It's just like, I don't know, it's annoying.
Gav: Well, Renny, despite being full of heroin, gets up and runs off. So it must be pretty shit heroin.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: She runs off.
Dan: Box of dudes goes up on a roof with Jason.
Gav: Well, first of all, he goes into a phone booth first of all.
Dan: Okay.
Gav: But of course it's fucked, so he can't call anybody. Jason finds him, he smashes the phone booth, chases him up onto a roof. And this is the famous scene everybody knows about from this film. So he's a boxer as we know. And he throws a total of 56 punches at Jason in this scene. Now apparently Kane Hodder, who was a big guy but also had loads of padding on, just said to the actor, just go for it, just hit me as hard as you can. So he does. So those punches, most of them that he's throwing are real, because Kane Hodder was wearing a lot of padding on his body. Obviously, you have to be careful when he hit the mask, because that looks like it's going to hurt your hands. And he punches and punches and punches and punches and punches. Gets him right to the edge of the building, but Julius is so tired after 56 punches. And he just says, OK, take your best shot. And Jason, in one punch, does a mortal combat.
Dan: So, this is for part seven's Sleeping Bag Against a Tree. This is the same for us.
Gav: And it's remembered out of all of the movies. People remember this one or not. No, if you say to somebody, Jason Takes Manhattan, oh, that's where the guy gets his head punched off.
Dan: But you won't remember any other kills, probably.
Gav: No, because they're not that great. No. Reni is stoned wandering around on heroin, and she manages to find Sean. He's like, you all right? She's like, no, I'm a bit of heroiney at the moment. But she does say, Jason's here. He's followed us here. And Sean's like, hmm, really? Then they bump into the cops, and the cops are with the female teacher and Uncle Charles. So that's great. But they do, unfortunately, they say, get in the police car, but Julius' head is in there. Somehow Jason's teleported Julius' head onto the dashboard. One of the cops is killed with the radio cable around his neck by Jason. I didn't see it so quick. Renny gets in the cop car and drives. She runs into Jason, runs him over, and then she suddenly sees a little boy, Jason, for some reason, again. Mummy, mummy. And then she crashes. The car explodes. They all get out. The car explodes, except for the female teacher. She dies in a ball of blames in the car. So that's another one. Now there's only three of them left. Uncle Charles, Sean, and Renny.
Dan: Yep.
Gav: Renny then looks at a puddle, which transitions into a flashback. And I'm sitting there going, why?
Dan: Why?
Gav: Why does this happen? It's a nice sort of transition, the way it looks.
Dan: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I agree.
Gav: But why is... Why? So the flashback is, when she was a little girl, she was out on the lake with her uncle Charles.
Dan: Yep. Don't do it as parents. This is not how you teach your kids to swim.
Gav: He says to Renny, you know, you've been coming here for many years to visit me in the summer, and you still haven't gone in the water. I don't want to, Uncle Charles. Yes, I know, but one day you're going to have to learn to swim. And today is that day. And he throws her in the water.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: And they're not just... Jason's down there.
Dan: He might kill you. He drags people down. Right.
Gav: You can't swim, can you?
Dan: No.
Gav: Off you go.
Dan: Swim.
Gav: Swim, Renny, before Jason gets you. He says Jason's going to get you. He's going to grab you quickly. You've got to swim, thinking she'll start swimming now, and she'll thank me for this when she's older. Thanks for scaring me and giving me a trauma.
Dan: No, it's not happening.
Gav: That's where she first saw the mutant little boy, who we know is Jason, for he's under the water. So she remembers all of this because she looks at a puddle. And then she turns to Charles and says, I remember that puddle's made me remember what you did to me. You fucker. And Sean's like, how could you do that? Jason wakes up, he starts chasing Uncle Charles. Uncle Charles runs into a derelict building. And before he can even get up the stairs, Jason's appeared above him. We don't see any of this. We just see him thrown out of the window. Then Jason picks him up and dunks him head first into a rat barrel. So an old moldy water barrel with dead rats floating in it. And he drowns him in it. It's one of my favorite kills, isn't it, actually, after the head punch. Oh, fair enough. Sean and Renny then, she says, my parents died in... I don't know why she reveals all this now. They're in the middle of New York, middle of the night. Everyone's dying around them. She's been almost raped. She's full of heroin. She says, just to let you know that my parents died in a car accident, and Uncle Charles looked after me, but he tried to kill me in the lake when I was a kid. And Sean's like, for fuck's sake, why are you telling me all this now? Jason's after us. Let's just get going. Tell me all of this tomorrow. Okay, let's get out of here. So they run down to a subway. Jason smashes through the door, the glass door of the subway. They get on a train, so does Jason, and he stomps through the carriages, carriage by carriage. But they pull the emergency brakes, which makes Jason fall over, and they jump off, and they run into the tunnel. Yeah. They escape by pushing Jason on to the third rail.
Dan: Yeah, which is a valid thing to do. Again, though, this is the thing that resurrects him. Now you're trying to kill him. I don't know. I don't know how it works.
Gav: It's going to give him more power.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: It's going to charge him up. So they walk off, walk off. Don't run. They walk off. I'd be running back up to the city on Times Square, and they're like, oh, it's over. You shouldn't have said that, should you?
Dan: No.
Gav: They shouldn't have said it. Jason is now on the streets of New York. This is where it gets really fun for me, because, yeah, you're right, some of that dragged, but it's fun now. And apparently, Kane Otter said this was his favorite part to shoot because people knew who Jason was and he was on Times Square and all the extras, all the people around and the extras were all like, wow, Jason. And it just looks cool seeing him there on Times Square, you know, this character that we know so well.
Dan: When he's there, though, there's a guy next to him. It's a creepy guy walks past with a black flasher Mac on. You probably didn't notice him just in front of us. He's just got that on. It looks like, oh, my God, that guy looks creepy. What's he gonna do?
Gav: Drop anchor.
Dan: Got a flash around here in my town.
Gav: Oh, have you seen it? No, apparently it's some flasher.
Dan: I didn't think that shit happened anymore.
Gav: Which flashes his welly, doesn't he? When I was a kid, we... No, in the UK, schools have a lollipop lady, which is a lady in a sort of fluorescent coat that stands with a big lollipop that says, stop children crossing on it. And we called them the lollipop ladies. They probably have them in the US or in other countries, probably called something different, like a crossing guard, I think, or something. But anyway, they stop and they let the kids cross the road near the school with their parents or whatever. When I was a kid, when I was about, must have been like eight or nine, primary school, like first school, as we were waiting to cross the road after school, a man came over and he had his willy sticking out of his trousers and he was waving at me and all the girls that were crossing the road. My mom sort of pulled me away and all the other moms were going crazy. And then the lollipop lady, did she get smacked in the dick? She got her lollipops there and she smacked him on the back. I mean, you dirty old git, get out of here. She started smacking him with it really hard and he ran off sort of giggling.
Dan: I would have smacked his dick.
Gav: She, well, she didn't, but she hit that thing, it's a big metal disk, you know, on the end of a pole.
Dan: He's getting his dick slapped.
Gav: She could have dropped it off with that thing.
Dan: Tough, doesn't that have it out?
Gav: It's one of those things that stuck in my head. I think that was my first old man's cock actually.
Dan: Probably.
Gav: That sounds wrong.
Dan: It does a little.
Gav: Let me just move away from that.
Dan: Have you had the old man's cock since? Because there's not been much of an old cock man experienced myself.
Gav: There is another incident, but I won't go into it now. A real one where a man tried to entice me and some friends into a public bathroom. Have I ever told you that story?
Dan: You've told this story, I think, before.
Gav: Yeah. He said, will you come inside? We were like, no. I think we were about 12 years old. We said, why? He went, because I think you're really juicy.
Dan: Yeah, you told us.
Gav: We didn't know what that meant. I still don't know to this day what that means. But that's enough about that. Back to Jason Voorhees.
Dan: Give me nightmares, you will.
Gav: I don't know how he got on to that, to be honest. Anyway, Jason's on Times Square. He chases them. Oh, because you mentioned a flash as well. Yeah. So he chases them a few Times Square, and on his way over to them, he kicks over a boombox of a gang of punks. You're dead meat, slime bag, they say. And they pull out their flick knives and their butterfly knives. And this is that great moment where Jason, from behind, we don't see his face. He just lifts up his mask and shows them what's underneath, and they all just run off. Yeah. Another fun moment from this film that I really like. So that's good. Jason, so they then enter the diner. Jason enters it through the wall, and because he smashed the place up, the chef, the huge chef goes up to him and goes, hey, buddy, you shouldn't have done that. Now that guy went on to play Jason in Jason vs. Freddie. And he's also Cain Honda at Stunt Double, occasionally. That's why he's such a big guy. Jason, though, picks him up, throws him into a mirror.
Dan: He is a big guy, yeah.
Gav: Just throws him into a mirror, and we get a brilliant reflection, quite arty now, of Jason walking past the broken mirror and it sort of reflects it and we're broken up into different pieces. It looks really cool.
Dan: They're going to the sewer system, don't they? Why? Don't know.
Gav: Head to a police station.
Dan: I hope there's no chuds or alligators down there, though.
Gav: I hope that there's Ninja Turtles down there, Gav.
Dan: True.
Gav: Because if you're going to fight Jason, and that's what I sent you the other night, this is what got me thinking. I sent Gav a load of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle versus Jason artwork. It's great, isn't it?
Dan: Yeah, yeah.
Gav: It would be a good crossover. Jason follows them.
Dan: Yeah, they find a worker down there, and he's just like, well, how are you doing down there? And they're like, oh, we're trying to get away. And he says, well, in 10 minutes, toxic waste floods this place.
Gav: Two minutes.
Dan: In two minutes, toxic waste floods. So come with me now.
Gav: He tells them, he says every midnight in New York, we flood the sewers with toxic waste. They don't fucking do that.
Dan: Like RoboCop.
Gav: What the hell? Why would they do that?
Dan: Don't know.
Gav: But they realize they have to get out of here. So off they go.
Dan: But Jason, at speed, fucking rugby tackles, like the guy just fucking, boom, out of nowhere, just at speed. It's like, Jason doesn't move that fast. Why all of a sudden is he moving so fast? Okay.
Gav: And then we see him kill him in the shadow.
Dan: Yes.
Gav: It's a shadow of him smashing his head in with a wrench.
Dan: Rubbish.
Gav: So Renny tries to talk to him. She says, you won't get me, Jason. I know you. I saw you in the lake when I was a little girl. And he's like, well, I'm just going to kill you. So he starts following her anyway. She grabs a bucket of random toxic waste that's lying around, because it's New York in the 80s and it's got to be toxic waste lying around. Which takes his mask off and we get to see his face. And he's basically like a mill from Robocop.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: He's like screaming.
Dan: And he sounds a bit like an elephant when he's... It's really weird.
Gav: And the bit where he throws up all the liquid, that was real throw up from Kane Hodder. Apparently he drank like six jugs of water. And then as soon as they said action, he just threw up on command because he had so much liquid in him.
Dan: Oh my God.
Gav: Kane Hodder, you are a legend. So Sean and Renny start climbing a ladder. Jason tries to grab them. But of course, it's midnight. The Toxic Waves floods the sewer tunnel. He's dragged underneath there.
Dan: But then we have the flashbacks to the sadness of Jason when it comes down to a child drowning, which is actually a really sad situation.
Gav: I thought the same. I thought the same of him. It's the way you hear him say, Mummy, help me.
Dan: Every time he's ever seen it, though, the kid that just drowned at the lake is when the camp counselor should have been looking after him. It is quite a sad thing.
Gav: You know, it doesn't mean his mum should have gone around killing everyone.
Dan: But no, but weirdly, for the first movie, it gives it, before it turned into like the superhero, evil superhero of Jason, the first movie, it gives it that more, more substance, I suppose is the word.
Gav: A bit like Psycho or something where there's a reason.
Dan: A bit more class to it as well, as always. So it definitely gives it a reason, a mother's love for her child and do whatever. And people have done that.
Gav: Almost like Pamela Voorhees is almost like John Wick. They killed his dog and he went on a rampage.
Dan: There was a dude in the 80s that was live on TV, because the news reports were there, turned up to the sentencing or he'd been sentenced.
Gav: I've seen that, yeah.
Dan: Yeah, to the dude who basically raped his son and he turned up and just shot him and killed him.
Gav: It's on camera, isn't it?
Dan: Yeah. That's crazy, but it will happen, you know.
Gav: Yeah, and he'll go to prison, but they'll let him off lightly, because now the original ending of this film was supposed to have Jason melt away catch fire and melt into a puddle of nothing. But the studio said, but what if we want to make a Jason Nine?
Dan: Let's make it have a little Jason.
Gav: So you got a little Jason boy there, Jason boy, he melts down and back into a child. He's shivering away on the floor.
Dan: So weird. Is there a child there or not? So weird.
Gav: And then he melts away again to nothing. And then we just see a toxic waste mask. Sorry, a hockey mask floating along on the toxic waste. Yeah. And then it's dawn and Sean and Rennie come out of the the sewer.
Dan: They come out totally dry and look like nothing. Look, it's like, hang on. You haven't slept for a long time. You must be hungry. You must want to just go and have a nice shit. There's so much stuff you must want to go.
Gav: A nice shit.
Dan: Well, just like you've not had a time for yourself for a long time. Like you've been smacked up on heroin, almost gang raped, got in fights, lost at sea.
Gav: Spirity people have died.
Dan: A lot of people have died that you know. But they look fine. They look alright. They kiss.
Gav: In fact, they kiss.
Dan: His dad was dead, but it's alright.
Gav: But Gav, we got one final jump scare. Something, a POV. Something is heading towards them. Oh my God, what's it going to be? It's the dog! Ace is alive!
Dan: But yeah, it's bringing the dog back. It's Hollywood rules. Apart from when you get to John Wick movies.
Gav: We do get a nice crane shot as they walk off, as the camera just cranes up.
Dan: But the most scariest thing is that that song comes back again.
Gav: Yay! The darker side of the night. Do do do do do do do do do. And that's it. Jason is no more until part 9, 10 and the remake. Oh, and Freddie vs Jason. So we've still got another four films to cover of Jason's, which is brilliant.
Dan: Which is funny, really.
Gav: But this is a really fun one, in my opinion. It's got its flaws and it does drag towards the end of the Boat Act. But I love the whole stuff in New York. I love the batshit craziness of the just throwing in toxic waste and Julius being a boxer and just wanting to fight Jason all the way through the film. Why is there crazy Ralphson? I don't know. Why is Tina seeing visions? Not Tina. That's the other girl. But why is Renny seeing visions of baby Jason? I don't know. It doesn't make sense to me. But Halloween 3 season of The Witch doesn't really make sense. And that's a beloved film. So I really like this film.
Dan: It's fine.
Gav: It's better than New Blood.
Dan: It's different. It's fine. It's different. But yeah, again, if you're a totalist, watch it.
Gav: Yeah. If you want to see a boy get his head punched off at the top of a building, watch this. You know my thoughts. I love them all. I always recommend them. But Six is still my favorite. But that is it for our Jason. So next summer, next summer, we'll be covering Jason Goes To Hell, part nine. And then we'll be going to space.
Dan: We will.
Gav: For Jason X. That'll be an interesting one. Body, body hopping and space exploration. Well, let's go away and come back for the outro.
Dan: What do you say? Do it. Do it now. Get to the outro.
Gav: And we're back again to say goodbye.
Dan: Thank you for coming along. Listen, stop, let me speak. Thanks for coming along. Please like, share, and tell your buddies who like horror movies, hey, check out these guys, Gavin Dan. They sound great like Tony the Tiger.
Gav: It's always fun to talk Jason and Camp Crystal Lake, so I do enjoy our little annual tradition of revisiting these films. I'll be sad when we watch them all. But yeah, we've been to Crystal Lake.
Dan: Do you know, I've got an insect bite on my BCG mark.
Gav: Have you? What's BCG for people that don't know, Gav?
Dan: I don't know what it actually fucking stands for, but it was an injection I got, and most people got, and you probably got one, in the sort of early 90s?
Gav: Early 80s, I think it was.
Dan: No, early 80s. It had been like late 80s, early 90s. I don't know what it's for.
Gav: We all got one.
Dan: Big needle.
Gav: We had ours at primary school.
Dan: I had a secondary school.
Gav: It's basically tetanus, polio, and a couple of other things all thrown in. They just gave you a big jab.
Dan: Yeah, I got an insect bite on it, so it's really weird.
Gav: Luckily, they don't give you injections for random things that you don't know these days. Oh, Covid.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: I've had my Covid jabs, obviously, but I'm starting to question now, what the fuck was going on with all of that?
Dan: Well, when you start seeing people dying of blood clots, I've got a friend who's a couple of years younger than me, very fit, very exercised, very fit. He had a stroke recently. Jesus Christ, why have you had a stroke? That's really weird. It was like, okay.
Gav: Well, Joe Rogan.
Dan: And blood clots, people getting blood clots and stuff. It's more common now.
Gav: Well, that was episode 182.
Dan: In the brain.
Gav: In the brain.
Dan: It's saying in the membrane.
Gav: I knew you were going to do that. So what's coming up next?
Dan: What's up next, Daniel?
Gav: Episode 181, our next episode, we'll be visiting another franchise that we've been working our way through. We're going to the world of Chucky. How's that next? Yeah, we'll be doing Child's Play 5, The Seed of Chucky from 2004 and Child's Play 6, which is called The Curse of Chucky from 2013.
Dan: Okay.
Gav: So we'll be covering two Chucky movies next. There'll only be two left after that as well, so that's another franchise we'll be finishing up at some point. And after that, we've talked about Sheila already. It doesn't really talk like that. Well, it does a bit. So that's going to be her episode, episode 182. And then after that, Gav, to finish up the summer, episode 183 will be celebrating summer blockbusters. And we've got a double bill from Roland Emmerich. And you'll be pleased to hear that we'll be covering your buddy Will Smith in Independence Day from 1996.
Dan: I don't mind the film. It's okay. And I like Aliens and I like the whole idea. And it's kind of like if it actually happened, it's quite a good one for that scenario type thing, isn't it? There isn't that many like that.
Gav: And we can do some impressions of Jack Goldblum.
Dan: The second one is not very good.
Gav: Oh, it wasn't very good at all. But because it's summer blockbusters, two years after that, Roland Emmerich then made Godzilla. And I cannot wait for us to see what happens. Me and you both like that film.
Dan: People don't like that movie. I really like it. I have no problem with it and I've seen it many times.
Gav: Yeah, apart from Godzilla Minus One, it is one of my favorite Western Godzilla movies.
Dan: I literally don't mind it. I don't know why people miss it, actually.
Gav: I prefer it to all of the Monsterverse stuff that's been coming out recently. Yeah. I like Minus One is amazing. Don't get me wrong, but that's Japanese.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: This was brilliant to me.
Dan: I really liked it. So I don't know. We have to look into why people don't like it because I don't know why.
Gav: Because they didn't like the design of Godzilla. They didn't like Matthew Broderick as a lead. It went on too long. I really like it.
Dan: I really like it. It gets to that point. It's almost like, for us, the Raptors, I know it's got little Godzilla's, chased them in that football stadium. They're stuck in stuff.
Gav: And it's got Puff Daddy on the soundtrack as well. And Jamarraquai, hasn't it? So that's what's coming up next. We've got a couple of Chucky movies.
Dan: One's got a big hat and one's a big knob. Not, I don't know about that actually, but I'm saying he's a dickhead.
Gav: Brilliant. Not Jamarraquai.
Dan: No, he's all right.
Gav: So recovering a couple of Chucky movies, recovering Sheila's patron picks and we'll be doing Independence Day in Godzilla. Roland Emmerich just loved doing a, he did all the sort of 2012 and the day after tomorrow. He loves all of those kind of end of the world movies, isn't he? Big disaster movies. It's good. I like that. So that's what's coming up. So before we say our goodbyes, I was going to say before we say our Godzilla's, that's not right. Godzilla, imagine if that was the word for goodbye.
Dan: Sarah says that instead of God bless you.
Gav: Godzilla. I still say, what is it you told me to say when I get on the bus? Do you think it's cheese? No, no, it's... Oh, I still say it now and I can't remember what it is. I haven't said it. I haven't been on a bus for ages.
Dan: I don't know what that would be.
Gav: Instead of thank you or... Oh, instead of cheers, you always tell me to say, cheers.
Dan: Cheers.
Gav: So sometimes when I get in a taxi or on a bus, I'm like, cheers. Because you could make it sound like cheers. And I still say cheers to people sometimes.
Dan: They're not going to look at you and go, what? Did you say cheers? No, I said cheers.
Gav: Why would you think I said cheers, you weirdo?
Dan: Yeah, that's what you can do.
Gav: So before we say our Godzilla's, I'll quickly do our admin and thank everybody that needs to be thanked. So we are The Podcast on Haunted Hill. Thank you, everybody, as Gav said, for listening, following, subscribing, liking, sharing, whatever it is you do. We are a proud member of Legion Podcasts Network and also of Deadbolt Media. You can find out more about Legion Podcasts if you go to the website, Legionpodcasts.com That's where you can find out all the other shows on the network, as well as all of our historical shows, back catalog.
Dan: Yep.
Gav: That's been nice to say. You can email us directly at ThePodcastOnHauntedHill at outlook.com. If you've got any questions, queries or anything you want to say. We're on Facebook. Just go to The Podcast on Haunted Hill and join our community on Facebook. It's a really fun page. It's really all I do on Facebook now, really. It's a good fun place to hang out and post things and talk, meet people like-minded. Legion also have their own Facebook page as well. Again, similarly, all the other networks are on there as well. All the other shows, sorry, the network are on there as well. Wherever you're listening to us now, you hopefully can always continue to listen to us. We're on Spotify, YouTube, Podknife, Podbean, Apple, Podcast Addict and all the usual places. Just Google The Podcast on Haunted Hill and you should find us. When we're on Instagram, our handle is The Podcasts on Haunted Hill Insta. All one word. We use that just really to promote the episodes as they come out, with a link directly to the episode. Mention Deadbolt Media, that is our production company. We have our website which is deadboltfilms.com You can go there to find out all the short films, all the features, the comic books, this podcast, the other podcast that Gav does, which is called?
Dan: Podcast, The High Strangest Podcast with me and Sarah.
Gav: Jesus Christ.
Dan: Sorry, doing true crime and weird stuff and things.
Gav: Recently you covered, I only listened to it the other day. What did you cover the other day? It was...
Dan: I don't know.
Gav: Jesus, I can't remember what it was.
Dan: I can't remember what it was either. As soon as I record stuff, it's just out of my mind.
Gav: Oh Jesus, sorry Sarah, I did listen to it and I can't remember what it was.
Dan: Yeah, I'm a host, I can't remember.
Gav: I listened to your Extra Extra on the same day and you did the sewer crocodile, sewer alligator.
Dan: I'm gonna have to have a look.
Gav: Yeah, because it's gonna really annoy me.
Dan: Sarah's shouting at the podcast now.
Gav: She is, she is. It was, oh, it was 4chan.
Dan: Oh yeah, it was, yeah.
Gav: You delved into the dark underbelly of 4chan, I remember now.
Dan: Yeah, it was good.
Gav: Yeah, that was creepy and weird. So yeah, go to deadboltfilms.com. You can find out we've got loads of stuff bubbling away on the, loads of irons on the fire, as they say. And we have a YouTube channel. Go to Devolt Films on YouTube and you'll find that on there. You can watch things like Sanctuary Moon, our Star Wars horror film. You can watch Amanda, which is our latest found footage movie. Loads of stuff that we've done over the years.
Dan: Quite a few bits and bobs. Yeah, please check out Amanda. Feature film found footage.
Gav: And it's definitely worth following us on Instagram. It's just Deadbolt Films or one word, Deadbolt Films. And you'll get a little snippets of things that have been worked on.
Dan: Yeah, we're constantly doing stuff. It's been a little bit slow recently. It's just takes a moment to make all these things. It's not we could bang stuff out. I know filmmakers have bang out two, three feature films a year. I'm not going to say they're probably that great quality, though. So, you know, it takes a while to do stuff.
Gav: But, yes, we're talking about Canon pictures, though, are you, from the 80s?
Dan: No, no.
Gav: And finally, we are also part of Patreon. So, if you want to become a patron and support the show in a monetary fashion, it would be greatly appreciated. You don't need to do it, but for a little as a dollar or a pound a month, you can become a Patreon supporter and help support the show and keep things ticking over because it does cost for us to do the show. You know, we do need equipment and other bits and bobs. Sometimes we need to rent or buy films. So, all of that kind of stuff does help. If you become a patron, you will not only will you get a free t-shirt and one of three colors sent out to wherever you are in the world, you will also get to have your name shouted out at the end of every episode. You'll get exclusive content that we do put up, occasionally bonus content, access to all of our entire back catalogue, and you'll get to every three episodes be one of our controller. So every three episodes, one of our patrons in Rotor gets to pick the two films that we'll be reviewing.
Dan: Thank you to the patron that came on recently, then went off, which was obviously just to give us a donation, which we appreciate. Sorry, we didn't get a t-shirt to you. It would have been a thing we would have got to. But obviously you came and gave a donation and left. So appreciate that. So thank you very much for that. Thank you.
Gav: And that's absolutely fine. That is another way to do it. Honestly, if you just want to sign up and donate a pound, then that's up to you. I'm not sat here begging. You don't have to do it. We would do this regardless. But we greatly appreciate all of our patrons. So thank you guys. And as mentioned, I will now say thank you to all of you by name. So thank you ever so much to Sheila, Dante, Don Collier, Matthew Godley, Jamie Jenkins, Kevin S. Fife, Sarah Kay, Rachel, RJ. McCready and Lex Boo. Thank you guys.
Dan: Thank you so much. We massively appreciate it, honestly.
Gav: We really do. It really, really does help things. So yeah, there we go Gav. That is episode 180 in the can done and dusted. Jason, Jason, Jason.
Dan: Again, another episode done. Thank you for coming along and listening to us. If you've made it this far, congratulations.
Gav: One more AI thing for you that we could do. Jason takes his mask off and it's Jason Statham underneath.
Dan: Oh, that would be great. I actually thought when I watched it earlier, what if Jason Statham could play Jason?
Gav: I thought that when I was watching the movie today. Weird.
Dan: He's not big enough. He's not tall enough.
Gav: No, he's not.
Dan: He's big, but he's not tall enough.
Gav: No, yeah.
Dan: Who would play a good Jason these days? Let's just sign off with a little quick.
Gav: You need not just tones. You kind of need a little bit of fat, so to speak. You know what I mean? You sort of got a handsome type, sort of size.
Dan: So who would it be? I'm thinking, I don't know, nowadays. The Rock's too big. I don't know.
Gav: Let's just say Nick as Cage, because he could do anything. Oh, yes. Well, he's a big one. Christian Bale could just put the weight on, I suppose.
Dan: Yeah, he'd probably go a bit meta, though.
Gav: Might actually kill people. Yeah.
Dan: No, that's the other guy, Skeletor. He'd do that.
Gav: Anyway, everybody. Jared Leto. Right, everyone, when you go to bed now, well, hopefully it's not daytime, but it could be. Go to bed when you want, I suppose.
Dan: Look under the bed for Jason. If you go to bed, don't have sex, don't smoke weed, don't drink beer.
Gav: Oh, you're so boring.
Dan: Because Jason gets fucking cross with all of those activities.
Gav: He gets annoyed, but really, he likes to do it. It's what he likes. So come on, Jason.
Dan: He does it to himself.
Gav: You're basically just moaning on social media. So really, you like it.
Dan: He's basically Karen.
Gav: He is Karen. All right.
Dan: There we go. Jason is Karen. There you go, guys.
Gav: It's a good night from a headless boxer on a roof. It's a good night from a tent. No, a sleeping bag smacked against a tree. Human being inside.
Dan: And it's a salute to Kane Hodder.
Gav: And it's a salute to the dog that can see us. Chold, swimming.
Dan: One day these dogs will all team up.
Gav: Special dogs.
Dan: The dog from Hills Of Eyes. You know, the dog from Silver Bullet. Superman's dog. That dog from Silver Bullet that kicks the werewolves ass. There's a lot of dogs.
Gav: There is a super dog as well, which is probably not Superman. Right. Anyway, let's go.
Dan: Let's go. Good night.
Gav: Goodbye. Bye.
Dan: Thank you for listening to The Podcast on Haunted Hill.
Gav: We will be back again real soon.