Mubs shares strategies for building successful side projects, how they differ from professional projects, and explains how he built Pod Hunt, an app for discovering podcasts
Mubs is an amazingly prolific creator. He's built 85 side projects which are all listed on his website and was Product Hunt's Maker of the Year in 2016. His output is inspiring and he offers great advice on how to approach building side projects of your own.
Pod Hunt Stack
- 01:14 - What's Pod Hunt?
- 03:42 - How are people using Pod Hunt?
- 08:42 - Why Pod Hunt isn't a native app yet
- 11:25 - How long to build the prototype?
- 15:50 - Pod Hunt's Stack
- 16:55 - Why Pod Hunt isn't a Single Page Application
- 22:18 - No CDN yet
- 23:24 - MySQL as the datastore
- 24:24 - Laravel Forge for hosting
- 28:13 - What's Hacker News Day?
- 34:06 - Choose a side project that solves your own problem
- 40:43 - The difference between projects for fun vs money
- 50:20 - Will Robots Take My Job?
What is Software Sessions?
Practical conversations about software development.