From feeling less guilty about screen time to scheduling time for ourselves, Rob Roseman walks through a few principles for parenting in a tech-centric and comparison-obsessed culture.
“There’s always more stuff you can do. But you need to write it in your calendar that at this time I’m going for a walk, maybe without my phone, because our brains do need a break. And the payoff is going to be a lot more than you just writing that extra email or doing that little bit extra.” ~ Rob Roseman
- Self-care as dads is something that’s rarely talked about and can be a struggle. Schedule designated time for yourself throughout the week. Because taking responsibility for your own life and your own sanity will make you a better parent.
- Find ways to limit your phone and your social media scrolling. But also remember that you’re not a bad parent if your kids are a bit preoccupied with an iPad. There are worse things for them than screen time.
- Model strong behavior for your kids rather than telling them what to do. Watching you take responsibility for your life will encourage kids to do the same. And if you’re telling them to put their phones away or eat their vegetables, but you’re not modeling that behavior, they’ll never listen.
- Carve out one-on-one time with each kid, especially if you’ve got multiple. Be intentional with your time with them.
- You never know if you’re making the best decision for your kids. Dealing with other people’s pressure is hard, but it’s important to give yourself grace. It’s a tough time to be a parent and we’re all doing the best we can.
Links and Important Mentions
- Dad The Best I Can: Nuggets of Wisdom From Entrepreneurs, CEOs, and 52 Other Dads That Will Help You Thrive At Dad Life (Without Losing Your Mind)
- Dad The Best I Can
- Rob on Instagram
- Kickstart Reading
- Tim Ferriss
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- Jesse Itzler
- Build Your Life Resume
- David Cancel
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- Nir Eyal
- Dr. John Duffy
Stay in Touch
What is Live In The Feast?
Live In The Feast is a seasonal podcast for developers and designers looking to discover their niche to build recurring revenue. So that they can live the life that they want and ultimately reach the goals of why they started their own business in the first place. Each season will be a theme specific to your business. And each episode features a guest who's been there before and achieved success. You'll get actionable takeaways for you to implement in your business immediately after each show. No fluff, no pie in the sky dreaming, this is real-life examples and takeaways for you.