In this episode, Adam talks to Jerod Santo of The Changelog about building their custom podcasting platform using Elixir and Phoenix.
- How pattern matching works in Elixir and why it's more powerful than method overloading in other languages
- How Elixir's pipe operator makes the transition from OO to functional programming more natural
- Why you don't need to be intimidated by unfamiliar features like GenServers to use Elixir for web app development
- Noticeable differences between working with Rails and Phoenix and what it was like to transition
- How the Phoenix ORM makes n+1 queries impossible
- Why background tasks are a lot easier in Elixir than in an ecosystem like PHP
- What other tools and technology power the Changelog platform
- How the Changelog Phoenix app is deployed
- DigitalOcean, get your free $50 credit at do.co/fullstack
- Cloudinary, sign up and get 300,000 images/videos, 10GB of storage and 20GB of monthly bandwidth for free
What is Full Stack Radio?
A podcast for developers interested in building great software products. Every episode, Adam Wathan is joined by a guest to talk about everything from product design and user experience to unit testing and system administration.