Ally: All right, Seth. We got a great congressional candidate again today. Mr. Vance Bostic out of New York's eighth district. Um, Vance is. Amazing. He's just the kindest guy. He has a really interesting backstory. I've done a lot of research on him through his website and his social media, and you know, he is taking on establishment Dems to the. 1000000th degree because he is opposing Hakeem Jeffries for his seat in his district. Um, Hakeem, as we know, is not only a congressperson, but he is the minority leader of the house. So it is a, a tall order to even throw your hat in that ring.
Seth: Yeah, I'm really looking forward to talking to Vance. I mean, he's a, another fellow millennial, uh, real New Yorker guy. And, uh, like a lot of the type of candidates that we wanna bring on this show, he's a grassroots guy, progressive, uh, and so absolutely looking forward to talking to another guy like that who's looking to really involve his community in all of his decisions.
Ally: Yeah, this'll be fun. All right, let's get into it. I'll see you on the other side.
Seth: Let's do it.
Ally: Hey, Seth. Hey,
Seth: Allie
Ally: got a very special guest today. We are taking back the name Vance. We have a Vance with us today. A good Vance. The right kind of Vance Vance Bostic out of New York City. Vance. Are you with us? Oh
Vance: yeah, I am
Ally: here ready to go. So nice to meet you. Thanks for joining us today. Um, now Vance, you're running for District eight. You're running for Congress in District eight of New York City. Is that correct?
Vance: That is very correct.
Ally: Okay. And your district consists of, this is my research. You can correct me of Brooklyn, Queens, Coney Island, east New York. Bedford is all that sounding right?
Vance: Okay. So Brooklyn and Queens are boroughs. Mm-hmm. So it's, it doesn't include queens. Okay. But, um, it does include, it is Brooklyn and it's like a backward sea from like, Bedstuy Brownsville, east New York, Carnar Sea. Mm-hmm. Um, mill Basin, Marine Park Sheeps at Bay, Coney Island, Brighton Beach, Manhattan Beach. Okay. Um, all the way down there. So it's like a backwards sea from like northeast to South Brooklyn.
Ally: Okay. Good to know. Thank you. Um, so your district, you're a congress person right now in District eight is minority leader Hakeem Jeffries. Yep. So let's get into that as a constituent. Um. And I'm sure you're out there talking to other people right now, obviously because you're running a campaign. What's the overall consensus or feeling in terms of how Hakeem Jeffries is serving not only his constituents, but serving at that federal level as the minority house speaker?
Vance: I think here in Brooklyn when I'm speaking to people, people are over him. People are ready for change. Um, you know, it really frustrates me because I hear the polls and we all hear the polls. And the polls say that Hakeem Jeffries has a 70% approval rating in the district, but I've been out for like eight months now speaking to people and it's not reflecting that at all. Mm-hmm. I would say maybe one outta every 10 people actually still support him with a majority of people are just. Over it. They're overall, the games they can see through. All the crap. Um, yeah, for the most part people are done with the, the shenanigans. Um mm-hmm. And for me, as somebody running a big part of it, for the people who don't see through it, is about exposing his level of betrayal. Because I do live in the district. I did vote for him, I did support him. And I feel betrayed. I feel when I look at his record and when I look at his, his, uh, donor list. In his voting record. I'm just, I feel very betrayed. I look at it and I'm like, well, he's actually not on our side. Like one of the things that prompted me to running was when I saw him at like union rallies and giving speeches and smiling and pictures. But then I, like, I look at his voting record and he's voting for union busting and he's voting, he's voting against unions. And I'm like, this is a major problem. Um, so. Most people see it, most people are over it. There's a few people that actually still support him, but we're, we're chipping away at them for sure to make sure that his level of betrayal is exposed.
Ally: Yeah. I have my own personal opinions about Hakeem Jeffries. Obviously I don't live in your district, but just seeing him as the minority leader of our party, um. I'm very disappointed. I don't feel like he's meeting this moment at all. Um, obviously I'm sure you feel the same that we do. Yeah. Um, our democracy is in real trouble right now. We are in peril as a country and we need leaders that are willing to stand up and fight. I see leadership like that, um, with people like Jasmine Crockett and a OC. Consistently fighting, um, against the worst impulses of Trump and his administration. But I have not seen that out of Hakeem Jeffries at all.
Vance: No. No. And that's like, that was one of the things, um, also, I mean, there's a lot of things that prompted me to run, but feeling. That I don't feel represented by him feeling that he doesn't represent Brooklyn. Mm. Feeling that he has been a hindrance towards any progression we could make. These are the things that I was like, we can't keep being held back by this guy. Yeah. We need people that actually want to be public servants. We don't need more career politicians. I'm tired of that. People don't get involved in the process of voting. Because they don't feel heard. They don't feel seen. They don't feel represented. Therefore, they don't even participate at all. Mm-hmm. What I would like to do is to change that entire thing. When I, when I think about running for Congress and getting elected and being in the position, I wanna be more than a representative. I want to be a teammate with the people. Like I have this idea of. What bills I go to vote on in, in the house. I want to run polls in my district to see how the constituents want me to vote on those bills. I love that. Uh, and it's, it's a way to involve the people in the process. I want my office to be just a, a hub for constituent services for not just for services for them, but for ways to help out in the political process. Um, I think it's about getting people involved more in including them in every step of the way. That's how we get people. To participate. Yeah, we,
Ally: that's fantastic. I mean, we have seen, especially over this last year, a lot of people that have been voted into Congress are MIA, you know, even when it comes to spending time in their offices, conducting town halls, um, listening to their constituents, responding to their constituents, they've just fallen off the face of the earth. So I think that's a great way to approach service, um, being a public servant. Right. Yeah. Is really connecting with the public.
Vance: Yeah. And that's something that I say all the time is that I'm running for the job of public service, not for the job of politician.
Ally: Mm-hmm.
Vance: Like I, I, I don't have a political background, but I have a background in hospitality and in service. And that's what I think we need in Congress for now. We need real public servants. We don't need another career politician with a low degree. I'm tired of seeing that. Look at where they got us. We need people who care about humanity. And that's what I'm running for. Yeah. I'm running for public service.
Ally: I agree. So let's, let's talk about you. Um, I scoured your website. I wanted to get to know as much as I could about you. Um, I found kind of your journey to this moment really inspiring, talking about how you grew up, some of the challenges that you faced, um, you know, from youth all the way to young adulthood. So just talk to us about you, right? What is your journey that brought you to this moment of deciding to run for congress?
Vance: Yeah, well, definitely, like I said, um, for as long as I could remember when I was a kid, I wanted to be a starving artist like that was living in New York City, living in Brooklyn doing art. I was like, I gotta work in like the food industry. I gotta work in hospitality and I'm gonna be like a starving artist and I'm gonna make art at night and I'm gonna work in service in the day and just always work in service for the people. That's something that I've always. I loved doing. I've always, um, wanted to pursue that. I've never really done anything outside of that. Um, every job that I've had has been a service job of some sort. Um, whether it is when I was a Carney back in the day and I used to travel the East coast of the United States with the carnival, um, literally working amusement rides, and that was. Such a good time in my life. Or I used to work at a catering hall doing five star Italian weddings out here in Brooklyn as well. Um, and even just doing stuff like that. I've worked on several different food trucks. I've done, uh, catering events for all types of things. And that's just really kind of been my, my overall focus. Even when I did event photography, when I was working in nightlife, I got into that because I was watching other event photographers. I was looking at their photos and I was like, people just look drunk. They look a mess, they look sweaty. And I knew that I could make the community, and specifically I worked in LGBT nightlife. Mm-hmm. Um, so I wanted to make people look beautiful. And I would Photoshop all my photos and I would edit sweat off of them. I would fix like girls' makeup. I would make people look. Beautiful in these settings when they were just having fun and letting, and that to me was another way of servicing the community. Um, and that's just kind of like, been my, my journey. I, um, I will say I'm not the greatest with academics. I didn't, I, I ended up dropping out of high school. Um, and a lot of this was because I put work first. I, I, somebody, I grew up in poverty. I live in poverty. I've always had to. Put work ahead of my own education at most times. Mm-hmm. Um, but I dropped outta high school. Uh, I ended up getting my GED back in like 2013, like right at the time where they were like changing the way the test was. Mm-hmm. I was like, oh, this is the moment I have to get it now before they do this. I was like, I, I don't know what's gonna be on that next version of the test, but this is it. I gotta get it done. And I ended up, I pa I passed, I got my GED and again, I went back into, I wanted to go to school. I, I wanted to go to college and get a degree and I never did. I. I went back to work and I kind of had to, you know, we, we gotta survive. We have to work. That's kind of just the system. Yeah. Unfortunately, that's
Seth: the millennial plight.
Vance: Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure. That's it. It it's, we're stuck with work and it holds us back from being our true selves, right? Yeah. Um, and then finally the pandemic happened, uh, in 2020. And instead of sitting home when my job closed, instead of sitting home, I ended up going back to school and actually getting my degree. And through those years from getting my GED to, um, the pandemic happening from 2013 to 2020. I have found a love for accounting and through working in the restaurant industry, front of house, back of house, um, doing like some managerial tasks, I fell in love with the process of accounting and I wanted to learn it more. And I've always, uh, for years I was like, I really wanna get a degree. I really wanna go to, to restaurants and get into the office and really help them thrive with my knowledge of front of house, with my knowledge of back of house, going into the office and then just being able to help restaurants really thrive to their, um, fullest was something that I really wanted to do. So I ended up. During the pandemic, instead of sitting at home doing absolutely nothing, I enrolled in school and literally the process happened so fast. Like it was like August. I was like, I should do this. Like I have the time now. And then like September I was like in classes. Wow. And, and, and, yeah. And I spent, I got my associate's degree two years. Um, then I went and I got my bachelor's degree. I did my bachelor's in public accounting, business management, and finance. Um. Then another two years. And then I did my master's degree. I was like, you know, I got, I got accepted into this program and I was like, it was like a one more year and I only needed a certain amount of credits. And I was like, I could, I could actually have a master's degree, like who would've ever thought. And I did. I ended up getting my MBA, um, my Master's in business Administration. Good for
Ally: you.
Vance: And I, in five years, I did it in five years, but those, that's incredible. Was some of the hardest five years of my life. Like I was doing winter, spring, summer, fall, almost six classes a semester, like it was a
Ally: lot. I know people that have gotten accepted into the Fast Track Master's program as an undergrad. And they're lucky to get it done in five years. That's remarkable that you were able to do that.
Vance: Yeah. Yeah. Oh, I, I did remember, so I did, it started with my associates in 2020, and then I ended with my master's in June, 2025 is when I graduated. Okay. That's incredible. This last year. Yeah, and I, I went. Through all of it, um, five years straight, uh, three degrees, and I did it and I was good for you. Through the, I did a kicking and screaming. I'll say that the whole time. I complained about all of it the whole entire time. I was like, I don't know. And also it was like I'm 38 years old. I haven't been to school in years. I was never really that good at school. And so adapting to the process of being a full. Grown adult, uh, in college after not being in school for so many years. Like, I just kept comparing myself to students in my class that were, they felt ready, like they just got done with high school. They felt like, like they were ready for it. And I was still like, how do I, how do I even do any of this?
Ally: Yeah.
Vance: Like how, how do I, how do I study? Like it was, it was a, um, an experience, but I will say where they had me on academics, I had them on life experiences,
Ally: yes.
Vance: So that was like the one contracts that I did notice in school was they were, they were just not, they didn't have any experience in actual living life where I did, I had a lot of experience. I had a lot of work experience, like real world. Stuff going on that they didn't like. Well, they were ready for school, but I was ready for the world.
Ally: Yeah. And that's really beneficial. I think a lot of times when people go back to school as an adult. Mm-hmm. Um, the experience is so much, it's, it's harder because, as you said, you have to readjust to school life, but it's easier in the sense that you have, so you, you, you have found your place in the world and so you're really focused. On what it is that you wanna accomplish by being in school. Where some kids, you know, they, they apply to school, they get accepted, and then they're like, now what? I have no idea what I wanna be when I grow up. And you're just spending all of this money getting out of school, potentially with a degree you may never do anything with. Mm-hmm. So I, I really commend you for that. Yeah.
Seth: And I know, like through my experience, like when I graduated college, you know, right out of the recession. I mean, I was incredibly confused because I'm getting out into the work field and I'm, you know, I'm learn. I'm learning how to live, you know, independently. But at the same time, I'm looking for a job and there's no jobs. My entire field was, was taken up. I mean, we had a couple of part-time jobs and that's what I ended up doing. And uh, you know that, that is a huge advantage for you. So that is, uh, that's, that's something that I, that I envy you on for sure. I, I wanted to get back to, to Keem Jeffries though, because for me, I, what's been so disappointing. His leadership for me is just the fact that he hasn't been able to whip the votes in. In the face of the incompetency we see from the Trump administration. I mean, this should be a situation where, you know, where they were. They, they pretty much lost their entire lead in the house. It's from five to two. And Hakeem to me, should be able to make some things work, but I feel like. He can't because he has certain loyalties and he's also apparently lost touch with his district in New York, and I feel like everything is kind of distracting him from what his main responsibility really is to the people in New York. Yeah.
Vance: No, I, I completely agree. Um, a big part of the problem is the way that he hasn't been able, as the house minority leader, he doesn't have control over the Democratic party. And to see like these few Democratic like members step out and vote against things that would actually help the people is really frustrating when he's supposed to be, like, he claims that he has everything in control, that he's like the leader. But that's not what we're seeing. Um, and then even when it comes to the district, like yeah, like people in the district, they're, they're definitely over him. People are ready for a change here. And I think overall, you know, whatever the case is, he's been in, he's been in the establishment for so long and he has loyalties to everywhere else. Um, he's just tapped out of what is needed in this moment. He is not the right person for the job. Mm-hmm. Um, there are so many other people. In Congress right now that would be better leaders, um, that will make better speakers. I don't foresee Hakeem becoming speaker of the house. I it cannot happen. Yeah. Um, at all. Uh, and more importantly, I think he needs to leave and not be representative of the district. We need people who actually live our very real lived experiences. In these positions, writing laws for us, not taking money from lobbyists and also letting lobbyists write legislation so our Congress people can pass it for them. It, the entire system is just, it's, it's just not working. And it all has to change. And I will say it's not just Hakeem Jeffries, that's the problem. It's the entire establishment, like almost every single representative needs to be replaced. Um, it's unfortunate that Hakeem is in the position that he is, and he is as weak as he is. Yeah.
Ally: Yeah.
Seth: And Ali, I know you and I were very disappointed to hear, you know, the how the Save Act passed through the house, you know, along those margins. And once again, Hakeem Jeffries is, you know, found wanting, coming up short in the task that he's been given.
Ally: Yeah, absolutely.
Vance: And, and his reply to that was, oh, I didn't do it. Like, okay, you didn't vote for it, but you're the leader of the party,
Ally: right?
Vance: Like, aren't you supposed to be these books? The buck
Ally: stops
Vance: with you.
Ally: Yeah. Where is the accountability?
Vance: Yeah. So even though you didn't do it, the the, the responsibility is yours. Absolutely. Like, I blame everything that's going on in the party. I'm completely blaming Haem. Mm-hmm. That's just, and that's just like the, the price that comes with being a leader.
Ally: Mm. Yep. Absolutely. Um, well, you know, I love your backstory. I love that you were able to get back into school. Um, and I think you're, you're a people person, it just exudes from you. And our previous guest that we had on last week, he's running for Congress in Virginia and you know, he said, what we all have been thinking and saying is we're tired of. Um, our congress, our politicians being made up of former business executives and lawyers, right? These people are woefully out of touch with the struggle of day-to-day Americans. You have worked in the service industry. You're clearly a people person that is not only willing, but happy to connect with people in your community. And I think that's what we're really looking for going forward. So, um. I just applaud you for taking everything that you've been through and focusing that in on giving back to your community in this way. I think it's great.
Vance: Yeah. I mean that was, I just wanna add to that real quick. Mm-hmm. That was kind of the thing that motivated me towards running. Like when I was thinking, when I was contemplating it, uh, and I was going back and forth with my own self trying to figure out like, is this something like I can do? Is this something I want to do? Like, how can I commit to this? And before I made the commitment, like that was the thing is like realizing that a. Because I don't come from money, because I worked in hospitality. I, I, money's not gonna sway me. Mm-hmm. That's one thing that I, I'm very confident in my stance with the way I don't care for capitalism and the process entirely. Um, and then also it was just about my loyalty to people, my love for humanity. Those are the things that pushed me to wanting to do it. And also like my disregard for like, publicity and attention. Like, I, these are things that, that we need in our representatives. Mm-hmm. Um, and those are the things that I. Feel like I embody and that's when I made the dec. That's what came down to the final line, to making the decision to actually commit to the process of running for Congress was those aspects right there. My, my attention to my love for humanity and the way I don't care for money and the way I don't care about publicity and the way that I'm also like extremely self-reflective and can take criticism to assess, and I have a, and I have a very. Thick skin. Um, but I'm also like funny and can joke around about things. Like those are the things that I, those are the qualities I believe that we needed and we need people.
Ally: Yeah. Real people. I agree with you and I looked through your, your platform and some of the policies that you plan on, um, on campaigning on. A lot of them are very typical of what we are looking for with progressive candidates, right? You talk about healthcare and you talk about, um, banning insider trading and protection for marginalized people, marginalized groups. Um. You know, banning Citizen United at the state level. These are all things we want our candidates to be talking about, but something that really stuck out to me, and I know this is personal to you, is the Artist and Gig Workers Bill of Rights.
Vance: Yeah,
Ally: I haven't seen that before, so I'm curious. Tell me what that is.
Vance: Yeah, well, I will give some insight on the, the entirety of the platform first. Um, so when I, when I decided to run, I initially, I didn't wanna build a platform. I was like, I really, you know, my whole thing is about including the people in the process. And what I really wanted to do was include the people in the process of actually developing the platform. We want, but through the process, the, the beginning days of it, everybody was like, no, you need a platform. Like, I wanna see a platform. Like where's your platform? So I was like, fuck, now I really gotta like do something. So the idea was about you, like you said, it's, it's common sense things that we all have been asking for. And that's exactly the idea is we have been asking for these things for far too long. No more asking from healthcare to housing, to getting money outta politics, all of it. We need it done. No more asking for this type of stuff. So that's kind of was the idea of, of formulating what I have on my platform was about just doing what we want. Mm-hmm. No more asking for it. Um, but the artist and Gig Workers Bill of Rights is something that is super personal to me as an artist and as somebody that has done a ton of gig work. Also as, um, AI takes over everyone's job and people resort more to artistry and to gig work. We need these workers to have protections. Uh, and the idea is just extending our regular bill of rights for regular workers, um, or for everyday workers, um, to artists and gig to include artists and gig workers. Make sure they have OSHA protection. Make sure that they're. You know, and, and all of the other policies on it kind of play into each other. Like the healthcare definitely goes into covering that. So there's areas of that that's just like making sure that gig workers aren't catching asthma attacks and dying 'cause they can't afford an asthma pump or whatever the case is. So all of them kind of play into each other, to build off of each other, to have a system that functions for people. And that's just kind of the idea is to make sure that. You know, as AI takes all of our jobs that, that we have protections for all these people. Yeah. Um, yeah. And it, and it's the one that I feel the closest to. Um, and out of everything on the platform, that was the one that like I wrote myself and that I was like, I want this. I need, like, this is, and I do, I do promote it at the, like, the top of a lot of things that I, that when I want to talk about the platform. Yeah. The Artist and Gag workers Bill of Arts is something that I kind of always am like, I gotta make sure I mention this. I, I
Ally: love it. I could, I could tell when I read it that it was personal to you. Yeah, I could tell that this was something that was really important to you, which is why it stood out to me, um, and resonated with me. So I, and I think it's great.
Vance: Yeah. And we're in New York City. It's, it's all artists thinking Gork here.
Ally: Yeah.
Vance: And it's also like, you know,
Seth: go ahead. Oh, my bad. Yeah. I was gonna say like, because I, I, reason why I relate to it is that I've never had a full-time job, you know, like I said, graduated out of the recession, still have never had a full-time job. I'm an independent, uh, contractor for different TV companies. And so a TAA company has never, uh. Paid for my healthcare, paid for my 401k. I've had to set those things up for myself and that was why, you know, having the Affordable Care Act was so crucial for me early on when I got off of my parents' health insurance. It really picked me up because when you get into this gig economy, there are no benefits. You, you are on your own. And so a a, a Gig Worker's Bill of Rights. Is something that I knew you were
Ally: gonna love this one, Seth.
Seth: Like it just like the spark went off.
Ally: Yeah.
Seth: And I was like, yes. Because when you get out, I mean, when you get outta college, there's no guarantees out here. This isn't America, 1975, there is a job waiting for you if a, if you have a college degree, you're gonna have to, you're gonna have to hustle. You're gonna have to make it work. So, man, yeah. We need protections, uh, for gig workers and, and people like us.
Vance: Yeah. No, I, I, um, I definitely love it. And another thing that like sparked my, my love for that particular thing is watching, um, the NYPD consistently throw away, like vendors fruit and vegetables that are on the street. Like, there's nothing that I hate more than seeing, just like somebody trying to make it through the day. And then just the NYPD is just rounding up all their stuff and just throwing fresh fruit and vegetables away. Like it's, it's infuriating. Yeah. And it's, it's like there's, there's nothing that like. Hurts me more than seeing that. Like, it, it really does get to me on a very deep level. Um, and it's part of why, like, I also like continuously, like despise the NYPD. There's no need, there's no need to like do anything like that. There's a yeah, like, because they don't have what, a permit or a, a license or something to sell fruit. Like what you're gonna throw away their whole thing. You could just tell them to pack up or whatever. It doesn't even matter. These people just need to protect that and that just needs to not happen. Right. That's just what it is.
Ally: I agree. And, and you know, like I said, so many of your progressive ideas policies, um, remind me a lot of Zoran Momani. And so how are you feeling about Zoran so far?
Vance: I, I liked, I supported Zoran all through his run. Um, I was out canvassing, I mean, I was doing canvassing for Zoran before I even decided to like run mm-hmm. My own thing. And actually it was after Zoran won the primary here in New York City. Um, that really sparked the, the, the want for me to run, um, shortly. I mean, it was, it was the beginning of when I realized that there was. Hope people had, hope. There was an electric like sense of hope all throughout the city. Um, when he won that primary that I was like, oh my God, this is what's missing. People don't relate to their representatives, like people, and, and we had record breaking numbers. It was 'cause he inspired people. He gave people hope for something different. And we saw the turnout, we saw the people getting involved and I was like, that's what we need. We need more of that in order to get people involved. Because I mean, we saw for 20, 24, 90 million people didn't vote. Yeah. And that. Is a problem. Um, so yeah, no, I supported Zoran, uh, through the entire process. I, uh, I, I like him. There are things that I don't like right now. Mm-hmm. Uh, the, uh, the endorsing Kathy Holle is kind of annoying. Mm-hmm. I kind of liked her primary challenger. Um, I was, I was feeling
Ally: him. I imagine there's some strategy behind that, right? Yeah. Because Kathy already has the gig, and if he's able to, you know, um. Coerce in a nice way her to get behind some of the things that he wants to get done because he will need her ultimately, right? Mm-hmm. To get funding for some of his, his larger policy. Um. Proposals. I can see why maybe that would be his route. He's, he's a pretty, he's a pretty bright guy, but I think it's, he's a
Seth: charmer right's,
Ally: a char m charmer. He is,
Seth: he charm the pants off of, of him. Trump. Donald Trump. Trump. Which
Ally: is crazy.
Seth: He had him rocking, uh, turtleneck for goodness sake, right? I mean, if, if he can do that with Trump, Kathy Ogle is, is a, is is easy street. So I
Ally: doesn't stand a chance. But I, I do think, you know, the thing that, that I, I love about how your policies are similar to Zo Ron's is because I feel like having, you know, um, representatives throughout New York City that are aligned with Zoran Mom, Donny's policies can make them go even further. Right? Yeah. You're not working against each other. You're all working in unison to accomplish mm-hmm. Very similar progressive changes in New York City. So I think it could be a really good partnership.
Vance: Yeah, and that's kind of like the thing also that pushed me towards running was saying like, well, Hakeem is not gonna support. What Doron wants to do for New York.
Ally: Yeah.
Vance: And what we need in that seat is somebody that's actually going to not just work with him, but build it and, and push it and, and see the vision. Like that's something, as I saw the vision, and you're right, my, my policies are very in line with what he wants to do, but it's also about providing for the people. These are things that we have all been asking for. So again, it goes back into just like, no more asking, but also like we need people. To back him, to back the plan to see the vision and wants to help build the vision. And I fully believe that Hakeem is not for that. Yeah. Um, he is, he is owned. And it, the people who own him don't wanna see any of that. I mean, look at how much they spent to, to try to block Zoran from getting in in the first place.
Ally: Exactly. And speaking of not being owned, I also saw you are not accepting any corporate PAC money. You're not accepting any APAC money, so you are a true grassroots, progressive candidate that. Every five, 10, $15 donation is going to make all the difference in the world for somebody like you running a campaign in New York City. Um, before we get to how people can support you in your campaign, Seth, do you have any final questions for Vance?
Seth: Uh, just, uh, who, uh, do, were there any politicians who inspired you on your way? Like, other than maybe ones that we've already talked about, maybe people in your family who, who really inspired you, uh, that you grew up around, or that you, uh, kinda see as a mentor?
Vance: Um, you know, through the process of running I, and just even before running for Congress, uh, Shirley Chisholm here in, um, well, she, she is, she's not alive any longer, but she was, um, one of the first black, um, female representatives. Um, I believe it was, I wanna say it was New York. 10 maybe was her district. Um, she also ran for the presidency. Um, she was one of the first black women to run for the presidency as well. Um, back in, oh man, I don't remember the days exactly. I wanna say it was in the eighties that that happened. Um, maybe late seventies, early eighties, something in that field. Uh, but no, Shirley chosen is definitely somebody, she was just so aggressive. She was the, um, unthought. Embossed, yes. I dunno if you've heard that, that phrase, but that was her. Um, and. Yeah, she's somebody that I, I, I, I've watched, uh, documentaries on her now and I'm just pulling inspiration from her just because she is aggressive and she just was a take no shit kind of person. And she did what she wanted to do. And that's something that I would love to emulate. And as, especially as somebody who's from Brooklyn, she's from Brooklyn also. Mm-hmm. Like, that's just what we need. 'cause we can see Hakeem who's taken all the shit. Yes.
Seth: You know
Vance: what I mean? Like, like he was taking it all. Mm-hmm. So it's just like, we don't need that. We need people who are gonna stand 10 toes down on business and Shirley just was that person. Um, and she's definitely somebody that I am trying to emulate and feed off of that energy as I run through this process. And I mean, it's, it does get discouraging sometimes the entire process. I mean, I'm just a regular person trying to run. For a federal office, and it is not the easiest thing I keep telling people. This is the longest job interview and application process I have ever done in my life. Um, it is, it is. It is something. It's an experience. Um, but I think penetrating through that gate kept wall is something that is so important, uh, to show that a, we need regular people in there, but also it doesn't have to be locked the way it is. Mm-hmm. I think that there is a way to enter into the system and to be aggressive and unapologetic about it, um, to remove those barriers. That they have put in place to keep us out. That way they have a lock on it all. Um, but Shirley Chisholm definitely represents all of that, and that's somebody that I definitely look up to in this process for sure.
Ally: Yeah. That's great. That's awesome. Um, okay. Vance Bostic the good. Vance the good. We're reclaiming the name.
Vance: Yeah. Although I will say I'm not always so good, but
Ally: nobody is. But you're not, you're definitely not. The other Vance that we're talking about. Not even close.
Vance: My, my name was given to me. I didn't choose it.
Ally: Yes. And I love it. And I love it, and I love that we're reclaiming it for good. So Vance, tell people how they can support you. You have a, I know you have a website. You wanna give your website any socials that you have out there.
Vance: Yeah, for sure. Um, you can totally go and check out my website. I fully recommended go check on my Ballotpedia questionnaire. It was one of the first things that I had wrote. Um, and it is extremely personal. I let a lot of like, insight, um, into there, into my perspective. But my website is, uh, Vance Beef for NY eight at uh, no Vance Beef for NY eight.com. I was about to say@gmail.com, like it was my email, no. Um, is van B for NY eight. Um, dot com and you can, all my links are on there. If you want to check out my socials, I would definitely say go to my Instagram, which is vance.b.nyc.
Ally: That's where
Vance: I got you. And then you can, you can check my, my link tree that is in my bio. And if you wanna participate in the campaign outside of donation, you can also find the donation links on everywhere. Um, but if you wanna participate in the campaign and help build this movement, uh, join my Discord. I have a Discord that's acting as my campaign headquarters. You can also get to that in my link tree in my bio. Um, and, and that's where we're we're. Coming together and working together. This is how we include the people in the process. I mean, you can help formulate my policies. I'm rewriting, I'm rewriting policies all the time, or I'm adding new ones to it. That's not up yet, but we're in the background. We're working on some new platforms that we wanna add on. Um, there's people helping formulate that kind. Uh, bringing the plan that I originally had with having the community for, uh, build those, those platforms, um, that's something that we would do. Um, you can help with opposition research. If you got some dirt on Hakeem, you want to help out, um, help me, tell me at all I want to know. Mm-hmm. Um, if, if you do design, you can help design things. If you want a canvas and door knock, like any, any way to participate, the campaign is open for the public. It's, it's something that I want everybody. Involved in, um, nothing is gate kept here. Um, so yeah, definitely go to my website, follow my socials, uh, and we gotta make a reach because Hakeem is a household name. Everybody knows him. And if he wins, just because he's known, it'll be a real shame.
Ally: Yeah, I agree. It's been a real pleasure talking to you, Vance. Um, thank you. Obviously, I wish you the best of luck. We'll make sure that everybody knows how to, to reach out to you and to connect with you and to support you. Um, and let's stay in touch. Tell us how things are going. We're gonna be following you. Um, primaries for New York's for your district. Mm-hmm. When are they happening?
Vance: So primaries are June 23rd. Okay. And I believe the early voting starts, it's like 12 days before that. Okay. I believe they are in New York. I could be wrong. Don't go. I don't know when early voting starts exactly yet. Yep. But, um, the primary date is June 23rd.
Ally: June 23rd. Okay. So let's stay in touch between, uh, now and then and just see how things are going. 'cause I'm really looking forward to big things from you.
Vance: For sure. For sure. Definitely. Especially with the ballot access happening right now. The next big hurdle is getting on the ballot. So if we don't make the ballot we're it's all fucked, it's all downhill from there. Yeah. So that's really the focus. And that's due April 2nd Okay. Is when, uh, ballot access stops, and then we have until April 10th to get everything bind and submitted to the Board of elections. Okay. In order to get on the ballot. Um, yeah. So by hopefully late April, May-ish, we'll, mm-hmm. If I made the ballot or not. Hopefully I will. We'll,
Ally: hang on that. I hope you do. I really hope you do. Yeah, it's been great talking to you.
Vance: Thank you so much. Yes, Bri,
Seth: I really appreciate the time.
Ally: Yeah,
Vance: for sure. For sure, for sure.
Ally: Thank you, Vance.
Vance: Thank you. Have a good one.
Ally: Alright, well that was Vance Bostic. I mean, what a great guy. Another great guy.
Seth: Yeah, just a really outgoing, likable fella who's obviously a people person. Uh, you know, it was so thrilling to, to see how he's gonna involve his community members in, in every decision that he wants to make. I mean, this is not a guy who's gonna be swayed by money. Um, he's going to go to his constituents first, and that's maybe, that's probably something that, that Hakeem Jeffries has lost in the shuffle of being the minority leader. All the, that comes with it and all the favors that you gotta, you know, keep for everybody. I mean, I, I'm sure it's, it's crazy. But Vance is the type of guy who is young, he's hungry, and he is looking to put the focus back on New Yorkers. And that's really, I think, what District Eight deserves there in New York. Um, very, very progressive, uh, in that same vein as an a OC. Was really energized by Zoran Mom's Run, and I can certainly see him collabing with guys like Zoran to really, you know, give New York what it needs a, a real plan for affordability again, so that the great city of New York is available to all Americans and not just people who can afford it.
Ally: Absolutely. I loved that conversation. I loved his backstory. Um, all of the hard work that he did over the pandemic when most of us were just kind of bed rotting and binge watching. You know, he was like, I'm gonna take this opportunity and go back to school. Something I've always dreamed of doing. And he accomplished so much over that. Period of time and uh, and there's just something so affable, like there's a humanity in him that really comes across. He cares about people, and this is what I really wanna see we get back to with our candidates, right? Not people that are business executives or lawyers as we talked about, or real people with real life experiences that still are in touch with the challenges that we're facing day to day as. Everyday Americans. I think that Vance embodies that. I think that he is going to fight for other people just like him, um, in New York City that just wanna, just wanna have a, a, a easier go of it than we are experiencing right now in these times. So. Um, really hoping that he gets on that ballot. I think he said that was going to be decided April 2nd, or that's the deadline. So we should be hearing more about that, um, towards end of April, early or early May. And we'll make sure to follow up and see if he did make that ballot. I'm hoping he does. Fingers crossed. And then, um, if he does, we'll follow his journey up until the midterms.
Seth: So yeah, it was, it was really inspiring to, to hear him talk about how he reinvented himself. Millennials get a a really tough, we got a really tough break of it. Uh, we, we, we came in the game, uh, in a time where there was a lot of upheaval financially and in the job markets and, you know, he took that time to reinvent himself. Um, in a time where a lot of people could have fallen into despair, he chose to rise above it and really give himself a shot. So, uh, really, uh, great to hear that. And a motivated guy like that is somebody that we need in office, right? A guy who's gonna come in, be hungry, uh, represent the people and, uh, and bring a fresh perspective.
Ally: And, you know, he just got that MBA in 2025. He is right on the heels of that major accomplishment. This is somebody that's got a lot of fight in him and, uh, he's clearly willing to fight for the people of New York City. So, great conversation and, um, we'll see what's gonna, we'll see what happens with, with, uh, with Vance. I really, I really like him for that, for that, uh, that seat.
Seth: Sure. I mean, he's, he's, he's the real deal. You know, he, he was a, you know, the gig, the, he is a real gig worker, you know, worked in the service industry. And I'll tell you, and I'll tell you what, Allie, again, like the, the Gig Workers Bill of Rights, that's something right there that could really catch on, and I hope that people hear that. Because that is the reality for so many Americans.
Ally: Absolutely. Alright, another great interview. We'll catch up later and get into some news stories and our LOL of the week.
Seth: Alright.