Does your website serve the purpose you've intended for it?
In this episode, I talk about the 7 biggest website mistakes that may very well be costing you warm leads and conversions.
1. Talking too much about yourself
● People who visit your website don’t want to know who you are, they want to know how you can solve their problem.
● State your service offering as a problem so your audience can identify with you and your solution to that pain point.
2. Doing too much stuff or saying that you do too much stuff
● Be more judicious and reserved about what you say you do.
● People want to know what you’re good at and that you focus on the problem that they want solved.
3. Hiding your work
● Don’t make your website’s visitors have to dig through so many navigations just to see your work.
● Viewership from the homepage drops dramatically so it’s a good idea to put some of your best projects as thumbnails on your homepage so if they get nowhere from there, they get a little taste of your work and the clients you’ve worked with.
4. Not letting customers tell your story
● Ask clients for testimonials on their experiences working with you.
● Testimonials will speak louder for you and your work than anything that you yourself say.
5. Being opaque and not genuine
● Don’t sound like a brand bot. Be a human and sound like yourself because people like to do business with people.
● Be straightforward and keep your copy short.
6. No About page
● This is the right place to talk about yourself, share your story, and add a picture.
● Don’t misinterpret yourself. Let your personality shine through and add snippets that humanize you.
7. No thinking
● People want to understand how you think. Having a blog helps show that you’re not simply a mouse pusher.
● Practicing some sort of content marketing allows your audience to see how you think, what trends and topics you follow, what your conversational style is like, etc.
Mentioned in this episode:
My Brand Design Masters Facebook group: https://web.facebook.com/groups/branddesignmasters
My Brand Design Masters Guild: www.philipvandusen.com/mastermind
Thanks for listening! If you enjoyed this episode of the podcast, head on over to the following links for more of my work and some valuable resources to get you started on your own branding initiatives. Until the next episode!
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
JOIN THE BRAND•MUSE NEWSLETTER:
JOIN THE BRAND DESIGN MASTERS FACEBOOK GROUP:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER:
FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST:
LIKE MY AGENCY ON FACEBOOK:
Bring Your Own Laptop - Adobe Training with Daniel Scott
Discount Code: “PHILIP50”
The Brand Design Masters Podcast is targeted to entrepreneurs, designers, creative professionals and anyone interested in brand strategy, business planning, graphic design, personal branding, trends and marketing.
Philip VanDusen is the owner of Verhaal Brand Design, a brand strategy and design agency based in New Jersey. Philip is a highly accomplished creative executive and expert in brand strategy, graphic design, marketing and creative management. Philip provides design, branding, marketing, career and business advice to creative professionals, entrepreneurs and companies on how to build successful brands for themselves and for the clients and customers they serve.
What is Brand Design Masters Podcast?
The Brand Design Masters Podcast with Philip VanDusen is dedicated to helping you build the skills you need to design bullet-proof brands - for yourself, your business and for the clients and customers you serve.
In every episode, Philip, his co-hosts and interview guests will share inspiration, ideas, trends and techniques that will lift you to greater heights as a creative professional or entrepreneur - so you can build a successful creative practice, business and personal brand in the Creative Economy.