Welcome to OT Uncorked where we uncork hot topics in occupational therapy with a bottle of wine. In this episode, I interviewed Karena Skibinski, who you may know from instagram or as the host of the What about the Mama podcast. We talk about her work as an OT in a state hospital supporting people who are connected with the justice system. She talks about what it’s like to work in a forensic setting and we also touch on what OTs from all settings can learn from this practice area.
- What it means to practice in a forensic setting
- Daily life of an OT in a state forensic hospital unit
- Promoting self-worth and dignity among vulnerable populations
- Applying lessons learned in mental health settings to other practice areas
- How supportive and connected the online OT community is
- Flora and Stone Gewürztraminer
- Monterey County, CA
- Exclusive to ALDI
- My take: Fruity and floral, sweet but refreshing
- Barrel Bomb Proprietary Red Blend
- Lodi, CA
- Karena recommends this bourbon barrel aged blend
What is OT Uncorked?
OT Uncorked is a podcast for wine-loving OTs, pairing wine and hot topics in occupational therapy. Hosted by Miranda Rennie and featuring guests from the profession, OT Uncorked was created to learn from people doing ordinary and extraordinary work across OT settings and share resources with other practitioners. Miranda is an OT who is passionate about providing holistic care for people with neurologic conditions. She is a small-town East Coaster living in Los Angeles, CA. Miranda hopes you will join her in uncorking hot topics and wine, discovering what’s new and relevant in the profession!