Our Enterprise Risk Management Journey has so far included: exploding common misconceptions; facilitating High Quality Risk Assessment; achieving breakthrough risk mitigation. Soon we proceed to full implementation. But who is the ERM champion (or risk champion) leading the way?
- implementation lead
- multiplicity of titles
- varied training
Background and qualities
- critical thinking
- influence and persuasion - properly understood
- promotes risk ownership
- leads experimentation
- coordinates minimal, essential documentation
- celebrates success
- in sum: builds capacity
1. implementation lead must understand the theory
2. able to lead trial sessions and explore the value inthe new practice
3. no formal training is essential, except perhaps facilitation skills
4. competencies: critical thinking; lead the coordination of results;
5. use influence and persuasion to lead others o their own success
What constitutes success?
- how can we make ERM part of the corporate DNA? See quote (next).
”the ERM champion’s success in instituting ERM will not hinge on the degree of authority leveraged. The reason is that willing participation in genuine Enterprise Risk Management... is not a response to formal authority. It is an outcome of seeing the value of the new process.” (Robertson 2016, Solving the ERM Puzzle, p.24)
What is Risk Commentary?
We see a striking contradiction in all businesses: the sharply increasing need for Enterprise Risk Management, as opposed to risk managers' persistent reports of low perceived value of their own processes. Correctly implemented, High Quality Risk Assessment will not only address uncertainty, but even solve chronic business problems. Join Edward Robertson, successful ERM practitioner and thought leader, to discover a simple process that delivers clear value.