Maco Jeleniewski: Hey there. You're listening to your host produced in collaboration with Impact 89 fm. Your host is an episodic audio drama surrounding a fictional podcast. Content warnings for this series include mentions of vomit, alcohol, sounds of gagging, implications of self harm, graphic audio of injury, and sounds of gore. Proceed with caution and enjoy this episode of your host.
Annalise Becker: Hey there. Welcome back to Tell Me A Story podcast. The show where we talk about ourselves for about as long as you'll listen. Find us at tell me story pod wherever. Shoot us a message. I'm your host, Annalise Becker with
Charlie Shepard: Charlie Shepherd.
Sawyer Dalton: And Sawyer Dalton.
Annalise Becker: Great. The intro gets smoother every time. Our topic of the day this week is our favorite music artists. I thought we'd deviate a little bit from last week's hateful tirades and talk about things we like again. Wanna start with some, relatable picks?
Sawyer Dalton: Charlie's going to call me boring, but I really like the Beatles. It's the reason they caused a national craze.
Charlie Shepard: You're right. Mhmm. That is boring.
Sawyer Dalton: Oh.
Charlie Shepard: I mean, there's so many better boy bands out there.
Sawyer Dalton: I never really thought of them as a boy band, but I guess, by definition, they were.
Annalise Becker: The Beatles were the OG boy band even.
Charlie Shepard: Like, Boyz II Men, NSYNC, Boyz 12, One Direction?
Sawyer Dalton: I don't think I've ever heard
Annalise Becker: You can't sandwich Boyz 12 in there like it's a real band.
Charlie Shepard: Do not disrespect b 12 like that. They've got at least 2 boys, wrote a song, and they're on Spotify. I don't know what constitutes a band in your messed up world, but they're a real band to me.
Sawyer Dalton: I don't think I have
Annalise Becker: any me to argue today.
Charlie Shepard: What?
Annalise Becker: Sorry. Just felt really cold all of a sudden. Did you leave a window open?
Charlie Shepard: Not that I know of.
Sawyer Dalton: I feel like I'd catch that. Maybe it's just the chills.
Annalise Becker: Do you mind if I turn up the heat?
Charlie Shepard: Go for it. That just means I might go shirtless for today's episode.
Annalise Becker: Hey. It's not a visual medium.
Sawyer Dalton: I don't just like The Beatles. I I don't know if you knew this, but I'm actually a fan of metal music from time to time, like Metallica or Megadeth.
Charlie Shepard: No. I didn't know that. You don't really seem the type.
Sawyer Dalton: Are you calling me basic? You're calling me basic again. No.
Charlie Shepard: Not necessarily. Metal music is linked
Sawyer Dalton: to stress relief and logical thinking. I wrote an article about it.
Annalise Becker: Oh, of course, you did.
Sawyer Dalton: What's that supposed to mean?
Annalise Becker: Well, you're mister Serious always talking about his super professional take me serious job, which he wears suits to every day.
Sawyer Dalton: The dress code is business casual.
Annalise Becker: That doesn't necessitate a button up and blazer every day. You look like an accountant.
Charlie Shepard: That's why you don't look the type. To listen to metal. I'd picture you with more piercings or a mohawk. Can you imagine it? Sawyer showing up to work in his fancy suit in a mohawk.
Sawyer Dalton: Alright, tough guy. What music do you listen to?
Charlie Shepard: Well, I listen to a lot of things. You're deflecting. Hey. Hey. I listen to normal people music. Like, Weird Al Yankovic.
Sawyer Dalton: Right.
Charlie Shepard: And Mitski. My music taste is niche. I just listen to whatever I get recommended.
Annalise Becker: I like Mitski.
Sawyer Dalton: And viral indie is so much more respectable than my metal preference.
Charlie Shepard: Excuse me. Mitsuki is not just a viral indie star. If you're gonna try to make fun of my music taste, do it for something that makes sense, like show tunes. I'm still totally a music theater buff.
Sawyer Dalton: Thanks for the ammunition.
Charlie Shepard: Scratch that. I wouldn't say I'm a musical theater buff. It's more like a guilty pleasure now. I've got 1 or 2 Hamilton songs in my playlist, but who doesn't?
Annalise Becker: True. True.
Charlie Shepard: I just think a lot of modern shows are kinda dumb, though. Call me a purist or whatever, but I hate when there's no transitions between dialogue and songs. You're hearing a monologue, then boom, shitty pop music that wasn't good enough for the radio, so the writer made a musical for it. No context. No segue. Someone just starts riffing. It's crazy.
Annalise Becker: I feel like you're making this up so you can be mad at something.
Charlie Shepard: Maybe it's not completely accurate. I wouldn't know because I stopped watching that garbage. Seriously, what's compelling these characters to start tap dancing for 5 minutes straight?
Annalise Becker: The audience wants what it wants, I guess. You created this monster.
Charlie Shepard: Ugh. This episode's supposed to be about things we like. Anna, talk about some of your music taste.
Annalise Becker: Oh, well, I like video game music. The Breath of the Wild soundtrack is so good, and but, right. There's really no other explanation for it. Is there? I, I put it right here. How the hell did it end up in the kitchen? That's 3 rooms down, and and and what would Sawyer or Charlie be doing with my lamp? Unless they they needed it for a project and no one asked me. Oh, Annalise Annalise Becker, log log 4, maybe? August 29, 2024. I'm confused. I think that's the long and short of it. At first, it was small things here and there. Rearranged silverware, leaving my phone in different rooms, forgetting why I was in a room. It's a bit bigger now, like like car keys or my lamp, and and I've been waking up in different places than where I fell asleep. I'd like to think that I have things compartmentalized in my head, plant. It's like when people talk about the organized chaos of their bedroom. This isn't that. And my body aches. Sometimes it's dull and numb everywhere, but sometimes it almost sears through my body, every muscle, every tendon throbbing like a migraine pushes against your skull, throbbing like like it's rhythmic. When I close my eyes, I hear a scratching. Tinnitus, maybe, like like a record player dragging across vinyl the wrong way. But when I open them again, the light feels a lot brighter. The lights are sudden. They're strong. They're burning. It's still manageable because I can ignore the ache when I'm asleep. Sleep. Right. I wanted to record because I think I'm sleepwalking. I mean, I've gotta be. There's no other explanation. Even when I wake up, I don't feel like I used to. I don't feel like I've, you know, slept. I started this recording to possibly catch what I do while I sleep, even if I'm sleepwalking or it's just my imagination. If there is something going on, it'll be good to have a recording for for the doctor. Right? I have an appointment with him next month. I'll see him soon. I'll see him soon.
Barista: Hi. How can I help you today? Hey.
Annalise Becker: Could I please get a small hot cappuccino? Sure.
Barista: Anything else?
Annalise Becker: Oh. And, I'll get one of the donuts too.
Barista: Alright. Just the coffee and the donut. That would be 789, please.
Annalise Becker: I'm all set?
Barista: Yep. Have a great day.
Annalise Becker: Thanks. You too. Hey. I didn't mean to stare, but I couldn't help but notice your pins.
Patron: Oh. Yeah.
Annalise Becker: I love Supernatural. Where'd you get them?
Patron: Mhmm. I got them off Etsy. Nice. I have a few pins on my tote, but I'm not a collector or anything. They don't look half as good on my bag as they do on your jacket though. Thanks. No problem. Do you have any recommendations here? I usually just get an Americano.
Annalise Becker: Your preferences say a lot about you as a person, you know.
Patron: Oh, yeah? What does my Americano say about me?
Annalise Becker: That you're brooding and serious. I'm looking for someone to add some sweetness to your cup. I'm Anna. And you are?
Patron: I'm Ellis. Nice to meet you.
Annalise Becker: Pleasure's all mine, Ellis. You have the time to tell me about the rest of the pins you have?
Patron: I suppose
Annalise Becker: My hot cappuccino. That's me. Thanks. I should probably head out. How about you tell me more about your style later tonight?
Patron: Wow. That's forward of you.
Annalise Becker: And That's how I roll. Can I give you my Instagram?
Patron: Keep in touch then? You seem cool. I'd love to. I
Annalise Becker: That was apparently a clip of me 2 days ago? I'm just not remembering it. Why can't I can't really remember that interaction. I'll look into well, I wouldn't call it hazy memories if the memories just aren't there. I checked my phone for a new contact, and it looks like I plan to have brunch with this guy next Sunday. I feel kinda bad, but I'm I'm gonna have to cancel on him. I haven't been interested in dating for months, let alone making new friends. Sounds exhausting and uncomfortable right now. It's funny, though. It sounded so easy. I can still hear the scratching. I don't know what they're up to, but they keep moving things. All this shifting and scratching when I'm trying to sleep. I I can't tell if I'm moving the furniture around or it's it's time to rearrange the apartment and not tell Anna so she thinks she's crazy. I'll go to the doctor soon. I'll ask I'll ask the doctor what's wrong.
Maco Jeleniewski: You've just listened to an episode of your host made in collaboration with Impact 89 FM. This episode of your host was written by Madeline Jeleniewski and edited by Laura King. Directed and produced by Madeline Jeleniewski. Casted in collaboration with Laura King. Audio engineered by Madeline Jeleniewski with assistance from Tyler Butt. Music written by Cassandra Cohen. Featuring the vocal performances of Alex Melconian as Annalise Becker, It's Not Mika as Charlie Shepherd, and Draco Chella as Sawyer Dalton. Additional voices provided by Michelle Long and Simon Zukert. Thanks for listening.