Chris Goddard is the Yorkshire Map Maker. He has been exploring and mapping his local landscapes ever since he was a child, spurred on by curiosity and a love of being outdoors. Chris dedicates his passion for exploring the minutiae of the world to creating intricate, beautiful books about the woods and moors around his home.
He says, "My mother said I was born a good century too late and should have been out exploring and mapping the world in the age of empire. Yet the exploring I like to do need not be particularly exotic, rather it just has to be somewhere new – and you can discover new things around the corner from your house every day. Exploring is also not linear, but nearly always leads me round in circles as I am desperate not to miss anything. Indeed this is the only way to make a good map."
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THE LIVING ADVENTUROUSLY PODCAST
- If you enjoy listening to this episode over a cup of coffee and think it might be worth the price, you can buy me a coffee here: www. ko-fi.com/al_humphreys
- Keep up to date with future episodes (and my other adventures, projects and books) with my free monthly newsletter: alastairhumphreys.com/more/subscribe
- Say hello on Twitter and Instagram: @al_humphreys
- Chris Goddard, the Yorkshire map maker. Website and books.
- Failed to write 'proper books' and settled on a niche of local writing and maps and detailed landscapes
- Hyper-detailed mapping
- Favourite tree = ash: gracefulness and large size
- 2.5 years to produce the book of his local woods
- 300mx200m wood - keeps finding new things
- Right on your doorstep are things to be discovered
- Wandering around and following your curiosity. Then later fill in the gaps.
- I used to think I should be finding somewhere new, but there's nowhere left to discover so I started exploring closer to home.
- Footpath surveyor for Lake District National Park for a while
- Try cutting off all senses but one - then you experience the landscapes in different ways
THIS PODCAST IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY KOMOOT
You can see my ride’s route on komoot here.
What is Living Adventurously?
Living Adventurously, with Alastair Humphreys, is the story of ordinary people choosing to live extraordinary lives.
Alastair interviews artists and chefs, students and pensioners, athletes and travellers. He wants to discover what living adventurously means to different people, what universal obstacles stand in the way, and how each of these people took the first step to overcome them and begin their own fascinating journeys.