This week on the podcast, I speak with James Clear, the author of Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones. James is an expert on habit formation who offers not only theories backed by science, but also practical strategies that will help you achieve powerful, atomic-level results.
- Designing and Defining Atomic Habits: Two main lenses to look the book through (02:08)
- The two-minute rule in scaling down a habit and actually making it stick (05:09)
- Importance of slowing down and awareness for effective behavioral change (08:11)
- Having a variety of small things organized toward the same goal (11:53)
- Solutions for setting up efficient timing (17:02)
- Strategies for building good seasonal habits (21:29)
- Tools to make habits stick and break through biases (28:58)
- The three reasons/meanings behind the use of the term “atomic” (32:42)
- Creating a journal that makes it easier to build habits that is useful but not fixed (37:24)
“Many of our behaviors are socially reinforced… When the social reinforcement is so strong, we overcome the obstacles in our environment. The key insight there is you want to join a tribe, a group where your desired behavior is the normal behavior. Because if it's normal in that group, then it's going to seem attractive to you to do it even if it's not convenient.” ~ James Clear
- Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones by James Clear: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich | Amazon
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris | Amazon
- Baron Fig's Clear Habit Journal
- Use Freedom to Block Websites, Apps, & the Internet
- Facebook Newsfeed Eradicator
- Distraction-free YouTube (Chrome extension)
- James Clear
- @jamesclear on Twitter
- @james_clear on Instagram
- James Clear on Facebook
Thanks for your time. See you later.
What is The Productivityist Podcast: A Time Management and Personal Productivity Talk Show?
Hosted by productivity strategist Mike Vardy, The Productivityist Podcast is a weekly show that discusses tips, tools, tactics, and tricks that are designed to help you take your productivity, time management, goals, to do lists, habits, and workflow to new heights - both at work and at home. If you're looking to focus your efforts on getting the right things done and start living the good life, then this weekly conversational podcast – crafted in the tradition of Slate's Working, Back to Work, and HBR IdeaCast – is for you.