My name is Nik, PostgresAI, and as usual with me is Michael, pgMustard. Hello, Michael.
Michael: Hello, Nik. Nikolay: How are you? What's new? I'm good. Not as much new as you, I think. Wrote a blog post recently, been working
Nikolay: on some
Michael: little improvements here and there, doing some research in the background as to what people want and need. But yeah, you've got some much more exciting news I think. Nikolay: It's small but maybe good. I don't know, I'm experimenting a lot lately with AIs as well, constantly learning. It's crazy times. People reconsider workflows, obviously, how we work. So it's easier right now to ship some stuff. And all the ideas you had during a long time, it's quite easy right now to implement. If you just shift from coding to engineering and organize design and verification of all the details, like benchmarks and you focus on like architecture more and so on. It's great time to have like helpers and honestly Opus 4.6 is quite good, even better than 4.5. So yeah. And others also good, I use them for reviews, other models including Gemini and GPT of course. Anyway, I wanted to discuss this small toy tool I just created over weekend. And today I'm releasing version 1.2 and publishing it finally. I have good feedback from a couple of folks, not only from my team, but also external ones. And it's working on our production already and yeah and I think it's it gives me the same feeling as I had when I proposed the transaction_timeout to Andrey to implement during our Postgres life hacking sessions on YouTube because it's feeling is why doesn't this thing exist yet? Yeah, do you want to say what it is?
Nikolay: Yeah, pgsentinel, active session history. I believe with all the new setups and growing existing setups of Postgres, millions of database clusters. I believe wait event analysis has huge potential and is heavily underappreciated. And performance insights in RDS is great. Other tools like pg_wait_sampling, all tools are great. But there is huge potential for various tools and people to understand what it is. And I think a lot of non-experts don't understand what it is and they are going to explore it soon I hope because it's a great tool to troubleshoot database issues You know like Brendan Gregg books and his presentations He says if if somebody asks him which Linux performance observability, like Linux performance analysis tool in console, he says it would be IOstat. Because IOstat shows database metrics, disk metrics, right? Latency, throughput, queue size. And also it shows a little bit about CPU as well. If you have 1 tool, quickly understand as much as possible. This is it. Of course, he also mentions SAR, SAR is great and so on. But the same thing here. If you choose just 1 approach or tool, which will give you as much understanding of problems like during troubleshooting, like why database is slow, This is going to be a wait event analysis or active session history analysis. We had a separate episode about it, maybe a couple of them. And I think inside me there's a huge feeling it's hugely underappreciated. When I talk to people who are not Postgres experts, if they are on RDS, this is default tool for them, but outside of RDS, they don't know what it is. And then even with RDS, performance insights, or Cloud SQL database insights, or how it's called, query insights, it's still like a huge lack of use of it all the time. And I think it should be central in all troubleshooting. This should be starting point.
Michael: So. Okay. So why? Okay, go on.
Nikolay: Yes. So I've been a big fan of pg_wait_sampling for many years. pg_wait_sampling is an extension which provides you very precise sampling, 10 milliseconds. Internally, but you need additional tool like monitoring to export that data for analysis. It's hard to analyze it inside because you still need some persistent storage because history it has, it's not covering a lot. It's just some tail and you need to export it. But it gives you 10 millisecond sampling. It's very precise. The problem with pg_wait_sampling, and we had it for long in our monitoring stack, but slowly we moved attention from it away and we implemented, we call it lazy sampling, where every 15 seconds our monitoring tool collects it. Because of availability, a lot of customers, they don't have pg_wait_sampling. It's present only in Cloud SQL. I wish it was installed everywhere, but no. Unfortunately, the reality, you know, like, so we shifted to lazy sampling. And then something like it's working, it's enough if database is huge. 15 seconds sampling already good enough. And we cannot do 1 second sampling because it's too much to big frequency observer effect, like it's too much. Because we are external, we're pooling this data to some external tool, connecting to the instance on Supabase or RDS anywhere. There is a feeling that lazy, this approach is not lazy, infrequent. It's not okay. We need something internally to sample and then we need to afford. This was number 1 reason why I thought we need something else. Number 2 reason, there are more and more cases when databases are small and it's hard to justify having full-fledged monitoring for them because you need to pay like basically at least 100 bucks for this monitoring setup. But if your database is tiny and you pay 50 bucks, it's like some pet project, there's no way you will decide to spend a few hundred bucks per month for this pet project. But you still need this because if something happened a couple of hours ago, you need to troubleshoot, investigate. And Postgres internally has everything, right? But it's just, you need to, it doesn't have memory. So wait events, there are 2 columns, wait event type, wait event, in persistent activity. But nobody is sampling them without, like by default. And it was also the third reason, understanding that current monitoring tools are going to be changed to provide information in better form for LLMs during troubleshooting. This was reason number 3. That's how I came to the idea, okay, let's implement something. And this something must be low footprint in terms of storage and observer effect. It must work everywhere and it must be LLM friendly in terms of how information is provided. Not a lot of JSONs or you need to write PromQL all the time, but some compact form you can feed it to your AI agent or something and ask to explain what's happening here and where to dig further. And this is how pg_ash was created. Because of the first requirement, I couldn't create it as an extension. So I called it anti-extension. And remember we discussed pg_index_pilot, which is automation for recreation of indexes. It was also created in the same fashion. And also, like some sneak peek, we talked with some Supabase folks, and they seemed to understand that as well. And there is also a new project called pg-flight-recorder. I hope we will discuss it maybe separately, which actually is very similar to my pg_ash, but it covers more. So we are thinking how to maybe unite our efforts. It's an ongoing discussion. But yeah, it samples like pg_stat_statements, pg_stat_io, and so
on, like all the stuff, SLRU and Michael: so on. Oh, interesting. Nikolay: So there was an old project called pg_profile. Andrey Zubkov created it and for quite some time it exists. It's great, it's AWR from Oracle but for Postgres, right? It records all statistics also inside, but it's extension. So since it's extension, it's not available on most managed Postgres platforms. That's why I like the idea of anti-extension, because it's just pure SQL and PL/pgSQL, that's it. —
Michael: So installation is just a case of running an SQL script that you've got, you know, creates a schema, some functions.
Nikolay: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, yeah. So, I think this...
Michael: Which you could bundle as an extension, right? But the problem then becomes...
Nikolay: Let me be transparent. Why not? Like, yesterday we discussed it and there is an idea that yes, it can be like extension, like non-extension, like just a bunch of... There is an idea, okay, this could be... I honestly have some thought that maybe Postgres could have some concept of packages or something. There was trusted language. Trusted extensions.
Michael: Yes, exactly.
Nikolay: Yes, Rust is, exactly. So David Ventimiglia, I hope I pronounced last name right. I apologize David if I did wrong. From Supabase said, and who is developing pg-flight-recorder.
Michael: Makes sense.
Nikolay: Yes. So he said, this is the direction he's thinking to package as a TLE extension, right? Because extensions, if it's available, I think it's available on Supabase or RDS, right? It's a straightforward concept, right? But in some cases we need to think about all platforms. And in this case we want to be maximum flexibility. So I'm thinking now to package it in future versions, to package it in both ways, like pure SQL installation or TLE installation, why not?
Michael: Yeah, absolutely. It's just a bit sad that extensions were... The idea of having an extension framework was to make distribution easier and now we've gone full circle and it makes it harder because everyone's on managed service providers that pick which extensions are available. So yeah, it's just a bit of a shame.
Nikolay: This sentiment you just shared, like it's so deep in me. I remember 2005, 6, 7 when like Postgres is Extensible, then extensions concept was created by Dimitri Fontaine, right? Oh, really? Yeah. He created extension as his thing. Maybe I'm not mistaken, I hope. I can hallucinate often. This happens because I'm overloaded with information. And then everyone was excited. Postgres is so extensible. But we should blame managed Postgres platforms, starting with Heroku and RDS and all others. Why extensions became an extensible concept? Because it's in their hands to decide which extension to add. They have their own reasons, obviously. Every time they add some extension, it means they need to support it and to have some responsibility if it's secure and so on. I understand that. But extensions became unextendable. Every time I thought, oh, I want to implement this in Postgres, every time I said, no way I will decide to make this extension. Of course, the concept of trusted language extensions is great, but still it's not adopted everywhere. It's limited, right? —
Michael: Yeah, so this is not an extension, but could be, but it's not to start with, and it installs a couple of tables, some functions, what does it do exactly?
Nikolay: — Yeah, let's talk about this, what exactly it does. The idea is let's just sample, collect wait event samples from pg_stat_activity with query IDs and have some history. It's quite simple. I didn't want... So the problem is we need some help to invoke function which will sample, right? And I don't want any lambda functions or anything. I want everything in Postgres, but I cannot build a Background Worker or anything because I don't want to create extension. pg_cron was chosen as a dependency, and pg_cron is present everywhere. And I remember I was driving at that time, I was brainstorming with ChatGPT. Unfortunately, Claude, the voice abilities are not as good as ChatGPT. So I was brainstorming and we agreed both that pg_cron is going to be a problem because it has, as any cron, it has only 1-minute precision. I was driving, I reached my destination, I was starting to doubt. I always doubt when working with AI and humans, actually. It's not only about AI. Humans also can make mistakes. So I was in doubt and I said, let's verify, check the documentation, check with me. And thankfully, starting pg_cron 1.5, per second precision is available. And this was moment, okay, I'm going to build this because I need per second precision
Michael: So is 1 second the minimum though?
Nikolay: It's minimum, yeah.
Michael: But I was going to ask why 1 second as the default and now it makes sense.
Nikolay: Yes, then I was thinking, okay, we are going to write a lot. We need to write query ID and the wait event. So how to optimize storage? And there are 2 big problems. First, how much we are going to spend in terms of bytes if we're just writing. And second, we know Postgres and MVCC and bloat issues. So if you implement some ring buffer for your storage... Anyway, let's jump to solution. I knew the proper solution from Skype, PgQ, SkyTools PgQ, 3 partitions and rotation. So I just created partition yesterday, today and tomorrow, logically. So yesterday is read-only partition fully filled, 24x60x60 right? Records. Actually no, we need to think how do we store 1 row per event pair or we somehow store it differently. Let's return to this point. Now we have current partition today and tomorrow is truncated because truncated is super efficient as we all know, right? No deletes, no updates, inserts and truncate, that's it. So this is how we implement. And we have visibility right now in current version, we have visibility only for yesterday and today. And you can export it to your monitoring tool. This is we are going to implement compatibility with this extension, not anti-extension in our monitoring stack, but also there is a plan, maybe when you listen to this podcast, I already implemented this, there is a plan to have roll-up storage for longer term. I plan to have 1 year of precision, maybe 1 hour or 1 minute, it depends. It's not a lot. So this is how we solved MVCC, just borrowed an idea from old good Skype from 20 years ago. I still think it's a great, it's a great idea.
Michael: So no bloat. So that solves the bloat issue, yeah exactly.
Nikolay: Fully. And second, how to find optimized storage. We had several ideas so we decided, like, I actually decided, but yeah I agreed, like with a lot of benchmarks, many iterations, we chose the idea to store 1 row per second. So it's timestamp, it's database ID, because, oh, not 1 row. If you have multiple logical databases, then it will be as many databases as are currently active in terms of workload at this very second. So at this very moment.
Michael: 1 row per database per second.
Nikolay: But only those which receive, which have active sessions right now.
Michael: Okay.
Nikolay: Yeah. I thought about it. If you, if we have 1000 databases, it's insane, but it's unlikely all of them have right now active sessions because it might be if you have huge machine and a lot of things happening, but still, if you have huge machine, you can afford the, maybe like thousand rows per second. Maybe no, it depends. There is room for improvement here. But anyway, right now it's 1 row per second if it's only 1 database active right now. And then we encode everything, but how? The thought about JSON-B, first thing, JSON or JSON-B. I proposed correlated arrays and it proved to me that it's better in this case than JSON-B. 2 arrays, so 2 rows. And then I proposed this encoded 1 array and benchmarks proved it's better. So we encode wait event, number of sessions, wait event, for example, I or, for example, lightweight lock manager, our favorite. And then there is number how many active sessions we are present, like for example, 5, and then 5 query IDs, right? So 7 numbers, and then next wait event, and so on. And so we have a bunch of numbers. And I didn't want to use 8-byte integers. I wanted to use 2-byte integers, because it should be enough. So we created 2 dictionaries. 1 to encode all wait events. Actually, if you write every time, if you write LWLock manager, it's a lot of bytes. Why? We can encode it and to support, as in recent couple of major versions, there is a pg_wait_event, wait events dictionary, right? In Postgres. Yeah. Which is just a static list of them But I wanted to support all the versions with this thing supports Postgres 14+ so that's why we created some our dictionary like to propagate it to back, yeah
Michael: 1 thing I didn't understand is you mentioned not using 8-byte integers. Does that include, because query IDs by default are 8-byte, right?
Nikolay: Yeah, so query ID is 8, and that's why we have 2 dictionaries. 1 to encode wait events, and second is to encode query IDs, to map, to two-byte integers. That's it. And, yeah, and we also, I don't remember, but we somehow solved the problem that it can grow without limits. We solved this, So it cannot grow without limits. We keep it short. I know how we solved it. Can I remember because I proposed this solution? By the way, I forgot to say, I created it using 3 AI plus me. So a team of 4 worked. 1 AI was an engineer and 1 was focusing on benchmarks, another was focusing only just on quality and documentation and reviews. And benchmark engineer also focused on reviews, but with specific goal like storage efficiency and performance and so low Observer effect and so on and we worked the many iterations Like crazy and I did it every I the whole thing is coded in Telegram. So I didn't touch anything Yeah,
Michael: but you reviewed it right
Nikolay: I reviewed what I didn't review code
Michael: really
Nikolay: really I did I reviewed only results of benchmarks. I cross-checked from 2 engineers, AI engineers, I cross-checked results, like they work. Code, I trust this code actually. It works in my production already. Yeah, why should I look at this code if I know that it was very thoroughly tested and benchmarked and reviewed many times by AI? —
Michael: Oh yeah, that's the why for me. But yeah, anyway, it's interesting how different, yeah.
Nikolay: I understand your question, but in this case I think it's quite solid. I actually checked the code and it follows my style.
Michael: Wait, you just said you didn't check the code.
Nikolay: I checked pieces of code just to ensure. Before I decided not to look into code, I made sure it's written according to our style guide, and I like what I see. So style corrected, how we write PL/pgSQL, I have already very well established, because PL/pgSQL is the most popular code language for me in the last 10 years, so I wrote a lot in it myself. So that's why, when I made sure it's producing good code, I didn't see the final version of everything. But I know it was thoroughly tested in many aspects. So back to storage. This is how we encode and how we solve this unbounded growth of query ID dictionary. My idea, actually. I'm excited because you can engineer solutions thinking about algorithms and data structures and you don't need to code everything. AI is coding. So I decided to have 3 tables, 1 pair every day, that's it. And the same like rotation, like we have dictionary for today, we have dictionary for tomorrow. AI said there is a doubt because query ID might not match, but we don't care because if the same query ID receives different encoded ID tomorrow, it doesn't matter because we don't work with this data directly, we work with this with some interface functions which expose it to user, and user doesn't see the encoded numbers at all.
Michael: Yeah, and once you look them up, then it's the same query ID anyway. Okay, yeah, that makes sense, great.
Nikolay: And it cannot grow unbounded anymore, right? Yeah. Yeah, And I guess for a lab approach, we also will need a separate dictionary. That's it. Which might be bigger, but-
Michael: Wait, why?
Nikolay: Because I want to have history for 1 year at least, or maybe half a year.
Michael: Good, okay, fine.
Nikolay: But it will be already compacted, and query IDs won't, not all query IDs will go there, only most important, which are most popular, or participating in spikes.
Michael: Yeah, so make sure I've understood we've got 3 main tables, only 2 of which will contain data each time a day's worth of data, like all of yesterday's data and then yeah and then today's data until now like it's it's like yeah 1 at 1 and a bit days data at any point in time and that's fine because the main point of this is something was slow recently like we had an incident 10 minutes ago or an hour ago or over the weekend. In fact over the weekend is interesting, but there was something fairly recently we want to look into, and normally that's within a couple of days.
Nikolay: Yeah, I think Maybe we should allow to configure how many days raw data is stored. Anyway, I know this approach with 3, it's from PgQ as I said, this is 3 partitions in rotation. You cannot see day before yesterday with it until we implement rollup approach for longer term storage. And I forgot to mention that how much of data it is. So, per 1 row, if it's 5 backends active, it's roughly 100 bytes only. I forgot to mention also that I decided, knowing alignment padding, I decided to also encode timestamps. So it's 4 bytes instead of 8, right? 4 bytes Unix timestamp, but it's shifted. It starts with January 1st this year, so it will be enough until the end of the century almost. And the database ID, it's 4 bytes, it was already, it's all ID, so 4 bytes. 8 bytes plus this encoded data, roughly 100 bytes if you have 5 active sessions. And for example, if you have a more loaded machine, it will be, for example, 50 average sessions on on average, it will be producing 30 to 50 megabytes per day only, which is acceptable for us, absolutely. I also forgot to mention that you cannot use it on replicas. This is downside. We forgot to mention that in README, but I thought about it before we implemented it. So it's obvious because we need to write. But it's fine because we observe more and more even bigger clusters coming to our consulting which don't have replicas. And they run...
Michael: Or only HA replicas.
Nikolay: Yeah, this is a good point. Actually yes, they recognize HA is needed but they are okay to live with 1 somehow quite long, they live with it, like it's so unusual. I still think classic 3 node setup is much better. But reality just showing different thing because cloud resources as we discussed multiple times, they are so reliable already that people are okay. And also Postgres' performance, you don't need to read replicas for quite some time because they add complexity. So that's why I thought, okay, this is only for primary. It's enough. And I'm satisfied with results like 50 megabytes per day for a loaded cluster it's great and I'm thinking maybe we'll like let's keep 7 days of raw data or 14 days of raw data maybe.
Michael: Yeah I could easily see at least at least the weekend thing makes sense to me, right? You come in on a Monday and it turns out there was some blip on Saturday. It would be a shame if that data's gone.
Nikolay: I agree. Yeah. I agree. Yeah, so, yeah, and we have a bunch of functions to which allow you to see what's happening. Give me like overview of last few hours, for example, or previous day, which top wait events happened and which query IDs are participating there. Yeah. And it joins with pg_stat_statements if it's available to present some high-level settings, macro-level settings for each query ID which is participating in some wait events. We also implemented visualization with bars. It can be monochrome visualization or even colorful for psql if you do some trick. And I enjoy it. You see basically performance insights right inside psql. It's quite fun. And you can, For example, overview last 24 hours, then you think you can zoom to specific area, you can understand which queries. And of course it requires some typing work, but since how it's organized, quite straightforward, You can let your LLM to do it, right? If you connect using some read-only user role, and let it troubleshoot, it can quickly find which bottlenecks. Is it like I-O bound workload, you need to increase disks or give more memory. Or it's like there is a heavyweight lock contention, which queries participate. It's quite good in terms of this kind of troubleshooting.
Michael: Yeah, definitely macro level stuff. But I saw there was even some micro level abilities as well, like looking at a specific query's waits by the query ID.
Nikolay: That's pretty cool. Yeah, you can ask, for example, for a specific query ID you can say which wait events. It mimics a little bit what we have in full-fledged monitoring, because we have all this. And here is just like in textual form you can do this kind of thing. For this query ID, what are wait events during last hour or previous day? And for this wait event type or specific wait event, what are like top 5 query IDs and their macro level characteristics. Yeah, it's not, it's not, it's still macro level actually, because you're still like a lot of aggregation is happening here, but yeah, You can jump to micro level specific query ID and see plans and start working with this. So there is a bridge here, right? Yeah, there is a bridge. So anyway, it's early days. I'm releasing this week. Let's see how it works. Is it useful or no? I wanted to just to add that this thing feels to me as... Oh, yeah, 1 more thing. So this is poor man's monitoring, self-monitoring, right?
Michael: I think it's not... I don't think so, but yeah, sure.
Nikolay: — It's quite straightforward. This trick with pg_cron — I forgot to mention, by the way, that if we sample every second, pg_cron by default writes logs to a table. —
Michael: Oh, yeah. Yeah.
Nikolay: — Yeah, so I think pg_cron can be improved here. For example, I would turn it off for this specific job. I don't need logging here. I just need to see errors and I don't need errors to be stored with full EcID. Postgres log itself would be enough for me to troubleshoot this. Anyway, there's a potential for pg_cron here to be slightly improved for these high-frequency jobs. But what I wanted to say, this is a self-contained, self-monitored system. Even without LLM, you can write some analysis inside Postgres so it could produce some reports and analyze what's happening. Maybe it's time to add more, increase shared_buffers, for example, because we see a lot of I/O data file read or something. Or maybe we see a lot of time spent on heavyweight locks, so we need to signal that workload must be redesigned to avoid contention on heavyweight locks, right? But there is a trade-off. Should we monitor inside or outside? And I think there are pros and cons. We discussed it, right, already?
Michael: We did. I had 1 last question though. I think, by the way, the reason I disagree is I think it's actually just another tool, right, it's another tool in the tool belt. If you self-manage or use a provider that doesn't have wait sampling, this is a valuable tool in its own right, like regardless of monitoring, especially when you mentioned the overhead from monitoring externally, you'd only get let's say 15 second frequency or something of that order of magnitude. To get 1 second frequencies is an upgrade, not like a poor man's solution.
Nikolay: Yeah, it's not 10 milliseconds.
Michael: It's true, good point, good point. So the last thing I wanted to ask, cause you always ask our guests this, the, on the license front, you've chosen a really permissive license, Apache 2.0. Why?
Nikolay: Why not? It can be embeddable to some stuff. And I even think, honestly, let me to be transparent here. I think it will contribute to my business because if we have this everywhere, it's easier for us to explain which problems and what should be done about it and improve health and support people like we do in Postgres. So we're right now not in quite a good position because Cloud SQL, this is 1 of not many but quite great things they have, is that they have pg_wait_sampling, super great. But RDS, they have their own proprietary tool, Performance Insights, which is great if you only own AWS, but if you think about interoperability or how to say, like you want to be able to work with any Postgres, performance insights, database insights, they call it right now. It's some proprietary API and it's not transparent. And also external dependency. I always think, okay, how good is it? Is it trustworthy? Maybe there are also bugs. I don't see a code, right? I cannot know. I don't know. Maybe there are bugs there. RDS quality is great, like let's agree, RDS quality is great, but still like sometimes you doubt like how exactly it works. This is fully transparent, works everywhere, right, and that's it.
Michael: Yeah, nice. All right. Thanks so much, Nikolay.
Nikolay: Yeah, thank you. So yeah, everyone is welcome to try and contribute and fork anything.
Michael: Yeah, I will stick it in the show notes, obviously.
Nikolay: Right.
Michael: Make it nice and easy.
Nikolay: Thank you.
Michael: Yeah. Cool. All right, take care. Catch you in a bit.