Today’s guest is Carrie Dils. Carrie is a freelancer, podcaster, writer, educator, and web developer. She runs a very popular blog where she shares her experiences as a business owner and teaches others how to build their own freelance businesses.
- How being yourself and embracing who you are is the way to provide a great experience for clients.
- Working in a cube farm and feeling the soul sucking drain from days spent working in an environment that wasn’t challenging her.
- Building something for one audience and having another one show up.
- Writing an opinionated book that shows the real world of freelancing.
- Be yourself with your business. Don’t try to be someone you’re not.
- Don’t make decisions based on emotional responses, but always check in with how a work situation is making you feel.
- Sometimes the people for whom you create something aren’t the ones who actually show up.
- The real freelance experience is not like what’s advertised - there are no hacks to a successful freelance business.
Important Mentions in this Episode
What is Live In The Feast?
Live In The Feast is a seasonal podcast for developers and designers looking to discover their niche to build recurring revenue. So that they can live the life that they want and ultimately reach the goals of why they started their own business in the first place. Each season will be a theme specific to your business. And each episode features a guest who's been there before and achieved success. You'll get actionable takeaways for you to implement in your business immediately after each show. No fluff, no pie in the sky dreaming, this is real-life examples and takeaways for you.