Wilhelm Klopp has had an interesting journey as an indie hacker, leaving his comfortable job as a software engineer at GitHub, to creating one of the most popular Slack apps of all time, Simple Poll. The app has been installed on over 600,000 workspaces and is supporting a full-time income for Wil and his small team. I discuss the story of how he built and grew Simple Poll and what it's like living the dream as a full-time indie hacker.
What we discussed in this episode:
- Hows the year been after leaving GitHub
- What is Simple Poll
- How Wil came up with the idea
- How he grew the app to 600k users
- What he did to start charging for a free app
- The danger of building for another platform (Slack)
- How he transitioned to work full-time on Simple Poll
- What it's like being a full-time indie hacker
- Why it's quite good having a job while working on side projects
Mugshot Bot automatically generates unique, beautifully designed images for every page on your website or blog so you don’t have to worry about them. This means you can focus on what matters: building your product and creating great content.
Mugshot Bot is a tool that I use personally and made by another indie hacker, Joe Masilotti.
To level up your link previews, go to mugshotbot.com/indiebites, link in the show notes, to create an image for your site, completely free.
What is Indie Bites?
Short, bite-sized conversations with indie hackers that have started small, profitable and bootstrapped businesses. You'll learn how they come up with ideas, what they do to validate, find those first customers and make a sustainable income.