Nikolay: Hello, hello, this is Postgres.FM. My name is Nikolay, Postgres.AI, and as usual my co-host is Michael, pgMustard. Hi Michael
Michael: Hello Nikolay
Nikolay: So there is a topic I wanted to discuss and it's widely used by those projects which are grown-up projects. Usually in tiny projects, in new projects this topic is skipped. This topic is related to my favorite area in Postgres administration. It's zero downtime changes. First of all, schema changes. We all know that it's a mistake to create index without the word CONCURRENTLY live, because it's not a live operation, not online operation. There's such term online operations. It means it's blocking other sessions which deal with the same table and it's bad. While CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY is good, if it succeeds it takes roughly 2 times longer because it scans table twice, but if it succeeds, we have an index and nobody is blocked, which is great. And we discussed many times that there are many changes which are tricky. For example, if you just add a column, you can block others if you are blocked by, for example, a vacuum running in transaction ID wraparound mode. And in many cases, there are tricks how to, instead of single step, do multiple steps, but achieve the same result in truly online fashion. And Let's talk about some details here. First of all, how we introduce new constraints on existing columns. First of all, check constraints on foreign keys.
Michael: Yeah, should we talk about if we didn't have this feature, so if we didn't have the ability to do it in multiple steps, if we couldn't set it NOT VALID first, what would we do? Or would we live without the constraint? I think it's worth discussing what kind of lock is taken and why we need this feature or why this feature was implemented in the first place.
Nikolay: Yeah, let's talk about this. If we imagine that we have already a column and we want to change something about it. For example, we want to change default, it's easy because default is only about the future. Postgres doesn't need to check the existing rows, doesn't need to change anything in existing rows, it's only some metadata change. So, ALTER TABLE, ALTER COLUMN set default, super fast, unless we acquired a lock. This topic is important almost to any alter. It's important, lock acquisition. In some cases, you need exclusive lock acquisition. In some cases, also exclusive. But I remember differences. For example, if you alter table, adding a table to publication, to enable publication with logical replication, there it's not that bad. But if we alter table, alter column, set default, it's quite bad. It's fast, but you need a lock. If you cannot acquire a lock, you are blocking others. But this is a simple example. It's super fast, nothing to worry about in terms of this operation takes long. Lock acquisition might take long, right? We need to take care of it. We need to have a low lock timeout and retry logic, be ready to do it. Again, I'm discussing here, my comment in the beginning was specifically we talk about projects which are grown already and they have significant load, say more than 1000 TPS. Other projects also experience it but they just don't notice because traffic is too low. Right.
Michael: Yeah, and we did a whole episode on the general case here. I think we did one on zero downtime migrations, which I think we went into detail on the general case, didn't we?
Nikolay: Yeah, I agree. If you are interested in this topic, you listen to this episode. Please listen to that episode as well because today we are going to go deeper in a specific narrow area, which is not that narrow. If you take any project, take three years of its lifetime, definitely these things happen. Adjustment of default is relatively easy. We need just to remember about this lock acquisition issue. But if we go further, for example, we created a table. It has... Oh, by the way, another comment. Folks who just prefer JSON, JSONB, or very flexible schema would say, it doesn't matter. We keep everything in text, no additional constraints. Let's application take care of everything. And I understand this position, but I fully disagree with it because I think database is the only, like database constraints is very powerful mechanism to ensure the data is clean and high quality. Right? So we...
Michael: And I think there are even extensions that help you validate schemas even within JSONB columns. Right. And I think they're using constraint.
Nikolay: But anyway, constraint capabilities in database system, it's very powerful. And when you shift these to application logic, you should be 100% sure that in future you don't write second application which deals with the same database or different parts of it in different code. Or don't use some UIs which can allow people to change data and bypass those checks which are left in your application. So Constraint validation should be done closer to data, and this is database system. Okay, default, easy. Next, for example, let's jump to the main case. We have not null. Not null is a tricky constraint because, in my opinion, it should not exist. Because we have check constraint, which is much more powerful, it's a superset of not null. It includes it because we can say, check, this column is not null. That's it. Easy. But is not null also, it exists because it's SQL standard. I think it was created before check constraint was added to standard. I guess. It's my guess. I might be wrong.
Michael: I'm not even sure, check constraint is definitely in standard.
Nikolay: Check constraint should be in standard.
Michael: Okay.
Nikolay: I'm not 100% sure, but it would be very strange if not. But it's obviously, like, why do we have not null constraints at all? We have check constraints, right? And interesting that if you define a primary key, it requires a not null constraint. It needs it. It requires 2 things.
Michael: It's inherent.
Nikolay: Yeah. Unique constraint and not null constraint. Fortunately, since Postgres 12 optimizations, we can forget about this distinction and we can build the check constraint with not null and implicitly not null actual constraint will be built efficiently on top of our check constraint and primary key will use it. But some implementation detail, right? Before 12 it was nightmare. I remember discussing with very experienced DBAs, discussing how we can introduce not null constraints. Not null doesn't support this two-phase approach we discussed today. You cannot define not null constraint, first NOT VALID and then validate. It's not possible. Before 12, it always led to full table scan. I remember our experience DBA said, you know what, between us, we just adjust system catalogs because we know there are no records violating these constraints, so we accept this, we just do it. Seems like Postgres 8.0 or something. But yeah, this is an ugly hack actually. Risky if you don't know
Michael: exactly what you're doing.
Nikolay: Well, it seems like not super ugly, not super risky, but fortunately since Postgres 12 we don't need it and we can define check constraint in this two-phased manner and then not null constraint will be implicitly defined very fast without full table scan. So, for example, we create check constraint, we define some logic in this. For example, not null, or something else. For example, we can say all integer values in this column should be positive.
Michael: Yeah, well it's super flexible isn't it? You can pretty much define whatever you want via any query via a check constraint. It's
Nikolay: really cool. Not any query unfortunately. There is a huge limitation.
Michael: For multiple tables you can talk about columns?
Nikolay: You need to stay inside the same table context, you cannot refer other tables, unfortunately.
Michael: But it's pretty powerful, right?
Nikolay: Of course.
Michael: You can reference multiple columns within the same table. But yeah, the normal use cases are like, this number cannot be negative or greater
Nikolay: than or odd. Or something. This number should
Michael: be proper. Yeah, or, I've not seen that in the wild, but yeah, or certain, Maybe like a maximum value or something.
Nikolay: Yeah. Yeah, ranges for many, many things can be, can like make, it's good. It's good. It's good practice because you, this is how you ensure data has high quality. Yes. And that's it. But imagine we have a billion rows table, which should not happen. You should have partitioning in place and don't allow it to grow beyond a few dozens of millions of rows maybe. But it happens all the time. In grown-up projects, I see it as a billion-plus rows all the time. And we define this constraint and how Postgres... If we just say alter blah blah blah, once a lock is acquired, to adjust metadata, system catalogs, Postgres acquires lock, and then what it does, of course it goes and checks existing rows to see if there is any violation. If there is, it will roll back. And this is super bad because for 1 billion rows, it takes a lot of time.
Michael: Full table scale. And while it's doing that, it's blocking any new writes. Exactly.
Nikolay: Not only writes, SELECTs as well, because it's an algorithm. Yeah, true. Yeah. So it's super bad. This is where some engineers have feeling like... They promised us that SELECTs are not blocked. What's happening here? Well, they are not blocked by writes, regular writes, but you are changing the rules right now. Rules, I mean, you're changing the schema. So this is not simple, right? So you acquire the lock, you start reading this. It can take a lot, like minutes, maybe more, depends on disk capabilities and actual table size. Even SELECTs are blocked. This is super bad. That's why we have for CHECK constraints, not for NOT NULL. For NOT NULL, we don't have it. For CHECK constraints, we have the ability to say, NOT VALID. We say, ALTER TABLE, blah, blah, blah. We say, add constraint, and then we specify NOT VALID. Flag. It's a flag. By the way, terrible naming.
Michael: Yeah. Or confusing. If you had to guess what it was without knowing, I think you wouldn't get the details right.
Nikolay: Right. Why is it terrible? Because once this transaction is fast because it doesn't check the existing volume of data at all. It just defines this constraint as it was with... As the table was very small, like empty. Super fast. Just Lock acquisition is needed. Again, we need lock_timeout and retries. This is the rule.
Michael: I think that's not the bit that would have confused me. The thing that would have confused me is that it will be checking new rows and updating. Exactly, yes. That's what's confusing, right?
Nikolay: You, okay, you brought it before. It's okay. Yeah, but I mean, mechanics is like, we create constraint like table's empty, and that's it. And it's marked NOT VALID in table definition if you use backslash D in psql, and you say, oh, This is NOT VALID constraint, I don't care. And I remember I was preparing the first complex transformation of 4-byte primary key to 8-byte primary key. And it was a very complex operation, like 7 steps. Each step was reversible. And I remember for the sake of reversibility, it was not about check constraints, it was about foreign keys. It's quite similar there. You can also say NOT VALID for foreign key. And I left NOT VALID foreign keys for some like shadow table or old table or something. And I thought they won't be used. It was huge mistake, led to some bug. Unfortunately, I quickly realized, okay, NOT VALID doesn't mean it's not working. It's still working. It means that it's applied to all new writes, INSERTs and UPDATEs, not DELETEs. In the case of CHECK constraint DELETEs don't matter, right, because we don't need to check. Yeah. But in the case of foreign keys, DELETEs also matter, right? Yeah, true. Yeah, because if you DELETE the referenced row...
Michael: Referencing row.
Nikolay: Yeah, referencing row becomes an orphan if... Yeah, so for all new writes, let's say writes, like, aggregate all changes of data here. And if you have... You define check constraint, you try to insert, if you have, for example, let's say we have not null. You try to insert null, it says, okay, violation of NOT VALID constraint. How does it sound? It sounds not good. It's confusing. So I think a better name could be... I had an idea yesterday we were discussing with 1 client. I forgot. What would be better? Not verified maybe, right? Not verified.
Michael: Yeah, it's better. Naming things is notoriously difficult, right? But yeah, we've got this now and we're stuck with it. I think that distinction between the types of rights is quite important though. I think I would then have gone away and thought, oh, if I change that column, it will validate it. But I wouldn't have realized that if I changed a
Nikolay: different column. Or no columns at all. As you remember, my favorite example, update setId equals id doing nothing logically, but physically it produces a new tuple. A new tuple is also check against this NOT VALID constraint,
Michael: and it
Nikolay: complains violation.
Michael: Yeah, so in case that wasn't clear, if that tuple has a violation in it, and because we haven't validated yet, it didn't fail, then it tries to write that tuple again with the invalid column. So yeah, not verified feels good, actually, yeah, that makes sense. But I don't think the side effects of this, leaving a constraint in a NOT VALID state, are obvious. Or at least not to me when I first came across it.
Nikolay: But despite naming, I think the idea that it's already working for new rights is great because it gives you opportunity to say, okay, we now are covered by all future rights, all future data. Now let's take care of existing data. How do we do this? First of all, we need to... I would not go straight to AlTER TABLE VALIDATE CONSTRAINT, which scans the table in non-blocking way. This is the key. It doesn't block anyone. It just scans it. And if everything is clear, it updates system catalogs. Again, I think lock will be needed maybe, right? But only in the end. I'm not sure if Retrialogic is inside this. It's an interesting question. I
Michael: looked it up. There's a really good note in the ALTER TABLE docs, and it says validation acquires only a share update exclusive lock for the table being altered for like a check constraint, and there is an additional lock when it's a foreign key on the... If a constraint is a foreign key, then a row share lock is also required on the table referenced by the constraint.
Nikolay: Which makes sense. Yeah, yeah, yeah. It might fail, for example, again, if autovacuum is running transaction ID wraparound prevention mode, I think it can be blocked by it. Fortunately, we can retry it multiple times. Yes, it will read the whole table, quiet data, disk I/O intensive operation, but it's already much better. The key is we don't block anyone. If we succeed, it's great. But we might not succeed if there are nulls, or if it's different check constraint, if there are rows which violated. In this case, before doing this second step, there should be additional step in between. We should take care of violations ourselves. Either we need to delete those rows or update them, setting value, right?
Michael: Look, question, why not do that before
Nikolay: the setting? Yeah, good question. And I think if we think like, since NOT VALID constraint already covers all future rights, I would prefer first introduce constraint, then clean up, taking care of violations in one way or another. It's very domain-specific. And then VALIDATE CONSTRAINT. Why? Because in this way we don't introduce any gaps where new violations can be added. If we move the step of cleanup before, like if we have it as the very first step, in this case, what is like again, depending on the logic of application, but in general case, after we're done, and before we start creating constraint, some new rights might happen and violate it once again right and this is bad.
Michael: So yeah I guess it depends how many we've got but I would still like if we've got loads then we're gonna have we're gonna end up with a NOT VALID constraint for quite a while while we clean up quite a lot of data. My feeling would be, I guess both might be the solution. Get an idea of how many you've got in your existing data, work out a plan for fixing those, deal with the ones that you knew about at that time. So, there's some snapshot from yesterday, we checked which rows were in violation, we've got this script to fix them all up, we've run that. Now we check, maybe we check again, see if there's any new ones, or maybe then you flip it to NOT VALID, because at least you're only going to have a day's worth of, or however long it takes your company or your organization to deal with those. So it could be that you do it before and then in between.
Nikolay: Yes, unless we don't want to scan the table too many times, because we already need, when we do it, to clean up. And also this VALIDATE CONSTRAINT step, the final step, also needs to do it. But maybe we should do it before, like this very first step, then introduce constraint, do it again, and then validate. Maybe this is the ideal situation. But regardless of that, if we just blindly say, okay, we introduce constraint, then clean up, then validate, this may lead to not understanding that NOT VALID constraint is already applied to new writes. This may lead to late code fixes. And if code, application code or whatever, continues to perform new writes which violate constraint, this is a problem because it will bring more and more and more, right? But there is another problem also. Exactly what you brought. Imagine we perform an update, changing the other column. For example, if it's some post or something, we just edit title. And then there is some additional column which we want to be not NULL. We had some NULLs, we want to convert them to, I don't know, false or 0 or something, because we finally realized we don't consider NULLs as zeros or empty strings. And then we have a bunch of rows which still have NULLs, and we already introduced constraint. Then user goes and tries to, for example, edit the title, and cannot because constraint is already working. During editing a title, Postgres, as we know, in MVCC, Postgres copies the whole row, it's a physical row, it's called tuple, right? And new tuple is violating NOT VALID constraint. So editing of title is broken. It means we must clean up as the first step. Accept gaps.
Michael: So this is why we always need to validate the constraint eventually. When I say eventually, I mean at the end of this process and ideally as quickly as possible to avoid issues.
Nikolay: Do you see how deep the topic is? Yeah, it's interesting.
Michael: For sure.
Nikolay: Unexpectedly, right?
Michael: What do you see in the wild? Yeah, do you see people trying to do this almost instantaneously? Because running, still, if we run them back to back, it's still much, much better than introducing the constraint without the NOT VALID.
Nikolay: Honestly, I think I saw systems, maybe it was smaller projects, and maybe it was because of me where we made a mistake and did cleanup as the second step, not having it before the first ALTER TABLE. It should be before the first ALTER TABLE, definitely. And we just didn't notice this bug. I mean, it's a bug of application, it's not a bug of Postgres. When user tries to edit a title, but because of some additional column violation, what's happening here? And now I'm more cautious about it. So I would put it on the first place. And yeah.
Michael: So just to clarify, first step, we manually run, we manually
Nikolay: check for violations.
Michael: Automatic validation. Yeah, exactly. So you know what I mean? Like we don't use the validation step to validate whether
Nikolay: it's actually... First step is get rid of violations even before you introduce constraint. Then you introduce NOT VALID constraint, then ideally once again get rid of violations because maybe we had a gap, maybe a new came, and then VALIDATE CONSTRAINT.
Michael: I've got, I actually think I'm wrong there. I think we'd be better off checking for violations, fixing them, check for violations again, And if you find any, don't go ahead with your plan, because you've still got a problem at the application level of bad data being inserted. So probably then don't get started, because you need to go back and stop.
Nikolay: This algorithm needs to be visualized already.
Michael: Yeah, yeah. But do you see what I mean? Because otherwise we're going to have errors.
Nikolay: Yes, exactly. But how does it change it? Okay, clean up, create constraint with NOT VALID while you are shaking your head.
Michael: I'm talking about leaving a gap at the beginning. So, clean up the existing data, wait a while.
Nikolay: Wait is a good idea, yeah. See if you need to clean up again. First, fix your application. Fix your application. Not to produce wrong data anymore. Second, clean up. 1 more step, wait. Yeah. Like days, weeks, I don't know. Then introduce, no need to second clean up, introduce constraint. Why not? Ah, okay, second cleanup. Why not
Michael: check? Why
Nikolay: not check without cleanup? Okay, I mean, just, yeah.
Michael: It's just a minor step, it doesn't take long. 1 more scan of the table, though.
Nikolay: Okay, this is, yeah, This is full-fledged. Okay, 1 more time. Fix application code. Clean up. Check and clean up if needed again. But if clean up needed again the second time, it means code is not fixed yet. This is great. Then, ALTER TABLE constraint NOT VALID. And then what do you think? Do you need new cleanup? Maybe no already, right?
Michael: Shouldn't do, right?
Nikolay: Yeah. Well,
Michael: because at this point, if you just validate it, if you needed cleanup, it will fail.
Nikolay: Yeah, it's similar to just checking. Yeah. So yeah, I agree I let's remove clean up between to ALTER TABLE steps and but have to Clean up plus additional check and some some time between them. Yeah, that's great. Final question I have here. Could we have just ALTER TABLE CONCURRENTLY and have less headache when doing these things? What do you think? For example, if you create a similar situation, CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, CREATE UNIQUE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, it's not just index, it's constraint basically. And if we have duplicates, it will fail. What we need to do in this case is clean up a manually invalid index. It will be shown as invalid. And then make a new attempt from scratch.
Michael: You said index there, but did you mean constraint?
Nikolay: Well, constraint will be created implicitly. There's a subtle difference between unique indexes and constraints. Let's not go there. And I know places in Postgres where confusion is violating logic. I have a patch proposed 5 years ago or so, nobody took care of it, it's okay. Anyway, when we create a unique index, logically we are building constraints. So if we have duplicates, this operation will fail, leaving invalid index behind because this attempt also two-phase, just single line of code, but it's two-phase, right? We need to drop that index again CONCURRENTLY, and then start from scratch. Oh, again, we need to clean up duplicates and start from scratch. How about here? We could say, ALTER TABLE CONCURRENTLY, ALTER TABLE blah blah, like, add, check constraint CONCURRENTLY. If there are problems, it would fail. And we need to clean up and try again. I don't know.
Michael: I don't understand the reason... I've never really thought about this before, but why does CREAT INDEX CONCURRENTLY, if it fails, leave behind... Why can't it fully tidy up after itself?
Nikolay: Because it's not transactional.
Michael: But if it's not transactional already, why can't it do the DROP INDEX? Like, why can't it know that it's left?
Nikolay: Yeah, it's a good question actually. And it could DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY. Yeah. It's a good question. I will think about this.
Michael: There's probably a reason, right? People would have thought of that. So I imagine there is a good reason, but I don't know it.
Nikolay: Maybe it's just easier to implement, that's it.
Michael: Maybe, but that would be a good feature if it's not really difficult.
Nikolay: Yeah, the user should be okay just with the error message.
Michael: Yeah, exactly, it didn't work. You're back where you started, even
Nikolay: if I hadn't
Michael: seen several transitions.
Nikolay: Fix your duplicates and try again. But if you don't use explicit naming for your indexes, there is a risk that you had 10 attempts and didn't notice that you have 9 invalid indexes left behind because you didn't check the definition. This is a risk here. If you use explicit naming, of course it will say the index with such name already exists, right? Or no? Index comparable.
Michael: I actually don't know if it's valid. I assume so.
Nikolay: I think, yeah, it will be in the index. It must be, yeah. Yeah. So I always prefer to use explicit naming for indexes, just to control the naming schema, like understanding which columns are indexed and so on. But also because of this, to better control of my attempts. If it's CONCURRENTLY, it's always CONCURRENTLY, almost always. Yeah, so anyway, back to this ALTER TABLE, let constraint, check constraint. CONCURRENTLY, why not? It could just do 2 phases. First phase NOT VALID, second phase validation. If validation fails, clean up or no is a separate topic now. You detached this topic.
Michael: I prefer clean up, but yeah.
Nikolay: But it wouldn't it be so great?
Michael: Yeah. I feel like CONCURRENTLY is coming up in every episode these days. It's good.
Nikolay: Great, great. Yeah. So, ALTER TABLE CONCURRENTLY.
Michael: I think it'd be a great feature.
Nikolay: It's not an easy to implement, I'm sure.
Michael: And again, non-transactional. It's another 1 of those things that would have...
Nikolay: It means that there is a promise of Postgres has transactional SQL, but when you start working, it's already so. In real life, we don't have transactional DDL, because create-index-concurrent is not transactional, and these steps, when you split it to several steps, each 1 of them is transactional, which is great, but Sometimes you cannot reverse this. And overall, you lose some data or something.
Michael: Yeah, I think it's fair to say we do have transactional DDO in Postgres, but it's not practical in larger projects with high load, because you just can't afford the downtime that comes is as a result of that transactional data. So in medium to heavy load, large enough setups, we don't have transaction data or not practical. We can't practically use it. So these practical solutions are really valuable, I think. The other approach seems to be, yeah, like the completely rewriting the table type approaches like we talked about last week. Or there's another project and maybe it's a whole, It's definitely a whole other topic, but have you come across pgroll? I think it's been brought up a couple of times on the podcast.
Nikolay: Yes, in the past. Fully wrapped off a table.
Michael: Yeah, exactly. I think that's another solution to this, right?
Nikolay: Just to introduce constraints. Thank you, no.
Michael: I don't know if that's what they do for this, but I think that's how they handle most schema changes.
Nikolay: I understand that.
Michael: It's heavy-handed, but it does also solve this problem.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Now I remember when we discussed pg_squeeze, we discussed changing order of Columns. This makes sense and of course CONCURRENTLY... not CONCURRENTLY.
Michael: I guess 1 final solution is again super heavy-handed, but you could logically replicate to an Instance that has the Constraints that you want in place already. A huge amount of work.
Nikolay: When we want to just constrain, we need just to read everything to ensure there are no violations. It's not a big change, it's just adding a restriction. So we don't need to change data. Yeah,
Michael: shouldn't be.
Nikolay: Anyway, I think that's it, what I wanted to discuss. Anything else?
Michael: Yes, super useful feature. I'm hoping more people become aware of it now.
Nikolay: You mean ALTER TABLE CONCURRENTLY doesn't exist?
Michael: No, I mean alter table add constraint NOT VALID.
Nikolay: NOT VALID. And a little bit confusing naming, so watch out. New rights are already being checked.
Michael: Yeah, I'll include some links to the documentation because that explains it pretty well as well.
Nikolay: Great, great. Thank you.
Michael: Merci Nikolay, thanks so much.
Nikolay: See you soon. Bye bye.
Michael: See you soon. Bye