Ramy Adeeb: You know, jobs are not lost to technology. Jobs are lost to recessions, and then they don't come back before technology because of technology. If you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. And so we really want to solve climate change with software. Climate change is not a software problem. Climate change is a material science problem, a policy problem, and a capital problem. There's tremendous investments by the large language models. They are the equivalent of the telco providers. They are spending all the money for the training. They hope to capture the value. They might not.
Malak Fouad: And they're establishing the infrastructure.
Ramy Adeeb: And they were overbuilt. We always overbuilt. Hey, everyone.
Malak Fouad: I'm Malak Fouad, and welcome again to What I Did Next from A&T Media. Every now and again, we have an encore episode where we check in with some of your favorite alumni guests. Today, we're sitting down again with Ramy Adeeb, founder and managing partner of 1984 Ventures. When we last spoke in 2023, Ramy was focused on the tech sector in general. Today, everything he looks at has to be AI first.
Ramy Adeeb: There is a saying that is often attributed to, of all people, Vladimir Lenin. And I don't know. We don't know if he said it or he didn't say it. That there are decades when nothing happens. But there are weeks when decades happen. And right now we're going through this period where decades are happening in weeks. I think what has grabbed my attention is really trying to stay abreast of where the technology is today. And what the capabilities allow us to do. What has also kept my attention, is trying to find the signal from the noise. There is so much noise when a new technology comes from scratch. And eventually that noise subsides and the signal is what remains.
Malak Fouad: That's a very interesting way of putting it. I have never heard of it that way. It's a really nice way to explain... What we'll end up with. It's a signal, not the noise. Yeah.
Ramy Adeeb: Exactly, exactly. And right now, it's really hard to distill the signal from the noise. And then last, it's just been really busy building the firm. We're investing out of our third fund now, building a team. We have five partners working actively on meeting those entrepreneurs. You know, there's really two types of VC firms. There's like top tier and everybody else. And we want to make sure we're a top tier firm where every founder is going to work with us. And it's ultimately a customer service business, one where you just continuously work for your founders. And then that compounds with time until you become a firm that everybody wants to work with.
Malak Fouad: And from the very beginning, Ramy, when you set up your VC firm, it was always tech focused. I remember that that was very much your ethos at the time. So today, your third fund, you're talking about your third fund. And obviously, it's AI heavy, I'm assuming, since that's where your attention is. So how have you kind of evolved from the first fund, the first years into where you are now?
Ramy Adeeb: When we started the fund, we were mainly focused on software, pure software. So good old what we call SaaS, software as a service. And we avoided all the hype trends. There was a very big hype trend with cryptocurrency, and we totally ignored that. We just stuck to our knitting and did software upending antiquated industries. Then there was Web 3.0, a lot of buzzwords, a lot of noise around how, you know, cryptocurrency meeting virtual reality would create these modalities. And it wasn't really, it wasn't much. It was just a lot of noise.
Malak Fouad: And that didn't pan out in the end, right?
Ramy Adeeb: Yeah, it didn't pan out. We do get the credit of like, there's an article written about us in 2022, actually an interview from Fortune magazine where they're, just actually featuring us as a fund that has always panned crypto. Because we were one of the very few funds that said no to crypto from day ones. And they asked us, what are you doing? And we're just like, yeah, we're doing AI and other stuff.
Malak Fouad: What was the reason, Ramy? Why were you averse to crypto? It was so trendy. What was your gut feeling? I mean, why did you say no to that?
Ramy Adeeb: Because we are venture capital. We have a particular mode, right? Take technological risk early on, on a small team of founders and hope that they build massive businesses that can then disrupt the incumbents. And we know how to do that with software. We know how to do that with consumer. We even could do that with hardware. Crypto was an entirely different asset class. It was like commodity trading. I don't know how to do commodity trading. Sure, sure. It's not really commodity. It's a commodity means gambling. And the way to make money in crypto, you don't need a venture capitalist. Just go pick a basket of coins and own it.
Malak Fouad: It was a different beast.
Ramy Adeeb: Yeah. It was a different beast. there is a almost folk you know a story about about steve jobs that when steve jobs created the very first macintosh and there was a there was a big event like a gala where he was demoing the computer and all of these old folks would come by seasoned you know entrepreneurs seasoned financiers it was actually new york city and ask him what is this and he like he would talk to them for two minutes and they would leave he would talk to them for two minutes and they would leave, And then an eight-year-old came to him And he spoke to him for 40 minutes He spoke to the eight-year-old for 40 minutes. And then a journalist came to him and said, why is it that you spoke to the eight-year-old for 40 minutes and to all the old people for like a couple of minutes? And he goes, well, they all asked me, what is it? And then the little kid said, hey, what can I do with this? It's a really an important question where a lot of the folks who are really, you know, endowed in finance and in politics and government ask, what is this? And you say, oh, it's like artificial intelligence. The real question is, what can I do with it? What are the applications? What does this unlock? And for crypto, the primary application, you know, was a little bit of gambling plus evading capital controls, which is a real application. You know, if you're in a country with a fastly deteriorating currency, you want to actually use dollars. It's just not an application that, you know, we're set out to solve. With the Web 3.0, it was really hard to see what the application is. But with AI, I mean, all it takes is just launching chatty between your cell phone, uploading your medical record like everybody in my family does these days. And speaking with it about it and realizing what the possibilities are. So those possibilities are endless. That's exciting. As an investor, though, as I mentioned, there's a lot of nice. Because we don't know at the end of AI who will capture the value. Who will come out ahead? What business models will be enduring and what business models will die? And anyone who claims to have an end state, their guess is as good as mine.
Malak Fouad: Sure, sure, sure.
Ramy Adeeb: And objectively, the hardest part isn't predicting an end state. It's just helping founders navigate that transition while it's underway.
Malak Fouad: You're talking about that we are at an inflection point. We're about to be, where I think, this is my reading of it as a layperson, we could see a slight collapse in the industry of maybe extra weight or companies that are not performing. And then from that, you will get those diamond companies that will endure. It's the same with the internet. The system didn't end. We got rid of a lot of extra weight companies that were not functioning properly. But the industry went on to amazing things after that.
Ramy Adeeb: I couldn't have drawn a better analogy. Actually, I want to go back to the late 90s for a moment.
Malak Fouad: It's very in vogue, by the way, now, Ramy, the 90s.
Ramy Adeeb: It is a little bit in vogue. It is a little bit in vogue. It's also, you know, the style, the Reebok shoes are back in vogue again. It's all back, yeah. There are two lessons from the 90s that I want to touch on. One around uncertainty. You know, and the other around value capture. But let's start with the first one. I remember sitting in a panel at Harvard in 1999 that was called, Who Will Capture Value from the Internet? Who Will Capture Value from the Internet? And then we had three speakers. One was arguing that the telco providers, the companies that laid out the fiber, the internet in the ground, were the ones that would capture all the value. The second speaker was arguing that it would be the browsers, the Netscapes. And it made sense because at the time, Netscape and Microsoft were literally at the Supreme Court at each other's throat, where Microsoft had bundled a free, Internet Explorer into Windows operating system. And Netscape sued it for antitrust. And the thing went all the way to the Supreme Court. And the prevailing model for making money from software in 1999 was to pay money for somebody to install a piece of software in your computer. So if Netscape software was the gateway to this internet, it made sense that it would capture all the value. The third speaker, who was the least convincing, was arguing that it would be the content providers. The websites, the folks who actually ended up capturing all the value from the internet. But the reason it wasn't obvious is in. 1999, you couldn't accept credit cards online. The only way to make money online was via display ads. Remember those long ads on Yahoo? And as a business, you could only make, you know, you could only make maybe five bucks, 10 bucks for a million ads. So how many ads will I possibly see in a month to make it worthwhile for businesses to make a lot of money? So the point of the story is when you are going through this technological inflection point, There is a tremendous investment by everybody. There is tremendous, today there is a very similar analogy. There's tremendous investments by the large language models. They are the equivalent of the telco providers. They are spending all the money for the training. They hope to capture the value. They might not.
Malak Fouad: And they're establishing the infrastructure.
Ramy Adeeb: But they're establishing the infrastructure. And without them, we wouldn't have it. And they were overbuilt. We always overbuilt, right? No matter, just because the technology is here to last, doesn't mean we won't overbuilt. We always do. We overbuilt with the internet. You know, we overbuilt. And so they will overbuild a little bit. Now, you can't, of course, time it, right? But they will overbuild. And then you have the folks who are actually providing the application late. And then you have the incumbents, the people who have what we call the systems of record, the databases, the software, the large software companies that they use today. Which one of those three will capture value? Really unclear, right? Now, for us, though, as an early stage fund, what's exciting is we get to work with very small companies who don't have the innovator's dilemma of the existing incumbents, right, and who are very nimble. And so they are, in a way, part of writing the future, in a sense. Many of them will fail, but the ones that succeed do end up capturing a lot of value because that's what we see with every one of these technological inflection points is new startups are way more nimble, come in with fresh ideas, and are able to just, you know, rewrite the rule of the game. But as you navigate it, it is both exciting, it's thrilling. And it's obviously, especially for large tech, for big tech companies, it's very challenging times.
Malak Fouad: Yeah. What would you look back at the last couple of years and think of as you and the company's biggest achievements in the space you're working in?
Ramy Adeeb: I mean, I think the company's biggest achievements is when... A business that was not built on AI has managed to transform itself to be an AI-first business. We have a number of examples that have been very successful. I think most notably a company called PostHog that is probably one of our better known businesses at 1984 Ventures, where they were the number one product analytics platform. The company started it in 2020.
Malak Fouad: What do they do, Ramy?
Ramy Adeeb: They provide data and analytics for other software businesses to monitor and track how their products are used. But it includes everything from how many visitors came to my website, to session recordings, to running experiments, to attributing value. It's effectively the operating system for online businesses, if you will. And it's very successful. It's one of our, you know, best known unicorns. It was not an AI company. It was started in 2020. And in 2020, beginning of 2020, end of 2024, we were having a lot of conversations with the founders and they're starting to see AI. And in the beginning of 2025, just something lit in the mind of the founder. And he recognized we have to totally rebuild everything, rethink our business to first and foremost address AI. You know, every sub-company says we're AI, we're AI, we're AI. And what they do, you slap a chat interface on top of your existing product and you say, hour AI, you know, the chat interface, you can talk to it.
Malak Fouad: Yeah, yeah.
Ramy Adeeb: Nobody cares, right?
Malak Fouad: Yeah.
Ramy Adeeb: AI means, it's actually funny because as a consumer, you have a really good instinct of what AI is. AI is Instagram or TikTok. Extreme personalization. When you launch your Instagram, and not just because of the people you follow or your friends, just when you go to the videos, it knows you so intimately, it knows your interests, and it's able to tailor the feed to you, Your closest friend, your best friend, if you launched your Instagram, it's different. It's not the same. That level of extreme personalization is at the core of AI. Beyond just the personalization, we want human-like one-to-one communication, across every modality, whether it's voice, text, and soon video. And it's one-to-one communication, as in the AI knows who you are when it talks to you. It talks to you based on your context and your insights and your data. And then last, we need to do all of that was like feedback, data loops and infrastructures. And then like then now the product starts to look like an AI product. But to do that also, I need to transform my actual organization into being an AI organization. What's an AI organization? God, it's not like giving everybody access to Cloud. Everybody's like, oh, hey, go take access to Cloud or we give our businesses all access to chat GPT. No, it's really about rethinking from the ground up what function should be done by humans. and what functions should be done by machine.
Malak Fouad: How many companies that you're dealing with are seeing this future? Are some resisting? Are some trying to catch up? Are they already there? I mean, where have the challenges been for you?
Ramy Adeeb: So the biggest challenge is for an existing company who has a lot of revenue. And this is just a textbook example of the innovator's dilemma. The innovator's dilemma, the old Clay Christensen case study around how companies, don't fail because they're doing the wrong thing. They fail because they continue to do the right thing when it's no longer relevant, when it's no longer the right thing. And that is sort of the irony. And so we started investing from fund one in 2018, 2018 to 2021, fund two is 2021 to 2024. I would say our fund one companies and half our fund two companies have had to adapt. Yeah. But then investments starting from like 2023 up until today, they're all AI native.
Malak Fouad: They're all AI native. Yeah, yeah. So Ramy, you're in this world. You're deep into it. You're looking at all these incredible innovative companies looking at the future. I'm sitting in Cairo and I am not tech savvy in terms of using AI. I'm just beginning to use it on a practical basis but what I am doing is I've been educating myself a lot about it in terms of what it means for society what it means for us as humans I'm reading I've been doing this for the last year and a half and I'm beginning to get involved in events and panels where AI is obviously a huge focus. One of the big thinkers that I, you know, latched onto, I think partly because he writes in a very simple manner for someone like me, who's not tech like you, is Mustafa Suleiman, who runs Microsoft AI. He did this incredible book in 2020 called The Coming Wave, which he's updated since then. Obviously, it's no longer coming. The wave is washing over us. It's looked behind us. We're in it. We've swam deep into the sea. And what I like about him is he doesn't make it look like it's all going to come up roses. He doesn't make it look like it's all going to be positive. He really does address the scary side and the need for containment, the need for regulation, the need for... Controlling this, you know, this tool And in my mind i always try and separate this sort of big picture idea of where are we going where will we be with this industry and then of course drilling down like you do into practical what the companies are doing how they're providing these incredible services and tools for us as people who want to be more productive, more creative, all of that. But I can't help feel really scared, Ramy. I'm really quite scared of what's coming. You know, a good example, we had the Anthropic issue with the Ministry of Defense or Ministry of War, where Anthropic, being a private company, did what a state should do. And they said, I'm sorry, I'm not going to sell you this, You know, this software, this technology, if you're going to use it to surveil Americans, if you're going to use it for autonomous weaponry. So, I mean, people who know this world will know the issue. I'm not going to go into the issue. So that was one thing that a lot of people suddenly went, light bulb moment went off. The state was being the aggressor here and being the sort of the evil one. And the corporation was being the one trying to safeguard and protect people, which most of the time it's the opposite way around. And then, of course, we've got the war, which we're in now, where there's no doubt in my mind, autonomous weaponry is being used with either no human supervision or the bare minimum supervision. How do you think of these issues?
Ramy Adeeb: You know, there's many fears being talked about about AI. There is sort of the existential fear of AI taking over the world. I think that that might happen. I think there are fears around the use of AI surveillance and the use of AI at war. I think, I hate to say it, but the US is a laggard in that market. China's leading the way. You know, I was in, I think I was in Bahrain in 2019 where China, in a conference, where China was touting the face-to-recognition software and sort of full government control software. They're obviously way ahead of us in drones. They're way ahead of us in the US, so like just as somebody in the US. I'm not sure if we're really.. I think, if anything, we have some catch up to do, we really do have some catch up to do, right? In terms of the future of the war, if you think of if you actually go back, the US did not win World War II by having the most powerful weapons it's actually the opposite you know the US won World War II by having crazy strong supply chain, and then building them faster that the Germans can sink them that was the model, you're never going to build something as good as, a T1 German tank just so much more advanced than we are but we can build six, And the same thing with boats. And if you ever actually, if you ever come to the US, you go to the, there's a New Orleans, a Museum of World War II in New Orleans. It's incredible that it tells a story about World War II and really emphasizes this was a supply chain war, a war won by taking Ford, which was the biggest automotive company, and saying, stop making cars and make airplanes. Shitty, tiny little thinkable airplanes, literally like the Shahd drones.
Malak Fouad: And we just need a lot of them.
Ramy Adeeb: Which is exactly what the Shad drones are doing. And then we're, you know, and the US is actually trying to copy the Shahd drones.
Malak Fouad: But, you know, just talking about this existential element for a minute, we're so deep into this new world now. And, you know, people have been talking about we must regulate, we must control, we will, we will, we will. Hasn't happened. It's not going to happen. Governments are not going to get together and do some kind of agreements together. This is a race to the finish by big tech companies. And, you know, governments around the world have proven to be completely, you know, unable to manage their current issues, let alone what we're beginning to move into.
Ramy Adeeb: So no, no, no, it is but I also you know I liken it again to the nuclear race in the late 40s early 50s but nobody was going to sit down and do a nuclear non-perforation treaty people are like I gotta get there first, you know, I gotta it's.
Malak Fouad: Different, Ramy. It's different because I thought of that as a good analogy but the difference is is that nuclear weapons were it was one form of tech and it had one use. AI is omni-tech. So it's available throughout everything we're going to be doing for the rest of our lives for the next forever. So how do you regulate something that's omni-use? You can't, you can't, Ramy, you can't.
Ramy Adeeb: I mean, look, you can count in the Europeans to over-regulate it. You can count in China to sort of, state control it, not regulate it, but state control it. And then you can count in the US to like kind of slightly under-regulate, slightly over-regulate.
Malak Fouad: Fudge it, yeah.
Ramy Adeeb: To kind of fudge it, right? I mean, it's basically where you're going to net out. But I want to go back to the employment for a moment. Yes. Because, like, you know, will AI, like, destroy humanity as we know it? It's a possibility, but also, that same applies to nuclear weapons, the same applies to chemical weapons, the same applies to many other things. It's definitely a threat. It's just a threat that we have to understand. But does AI have the potential? To cause economic havoc in the next five years. In the next five years, not like the next 20 years.
Malak Fouad: Maybe even less.
Ramy Adeeb: For sure.
Malak Fouad: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Ramy Adeeb: And a lot of folks are saying, a lot of folks, the counter argument, and I really worry about this.
Malak Fouad: Yeah.
Ramy Adeeb: You know, we have our entire world is built today around 2% inflation or 5% inflation around economic growth, around prosperity. It's almost like a massive pyramid scheme. And it's so precarious.
Malak Fouad: One thing changes and the whole thing is wobbly.
Ramy Adeeb: A lot of folks, the counter argument to these concerns on unemployment is always like, oh, don't worry. The technology always creates new jobs. I'm sitting here scratching and I'm like, yeah, I get it. I get it. Like when we switched from the horse carriages to the automotive, it's a classic story. Like, you know, all the people that worked in the horse carriages, like lots of jobs, but then you got mechanics and drivers and yet, yes, that took freaking 30 years. It took 30 years, right? When women, when we switched from typing on a typewriter into using a computer, into a personal computer, people had to reskill. They had a tenure to stop using, you know, to stop using typewriter and learn how to use a word processor. I see developers today, software engineers, people who should be at the forefront of using technology, who are struggling to use the most advanced AI coding, struggling to use it, because it changes their entire framework of how I write code. It changes their sense of self-worth. That previously, I was an engineer whose work was precious. Now I just tell Claude to do something and it does it for me.
Malak Fouad: And your work was in demand and needed.
Ramy Adeeb: I mean, it's really hilarious. But if I show you this, this is just my actual library. This isn't a point to every book here is irrelevant. Like this is something called, you know, the mythical man month. This was the ultimate book about software engineering in groups. Totally, totally irrelevant. This is a book in like compiler, modern compiler work. Oh, that knowledge is irrelevant.
Malak Fouad: It's gone out the window. It's gone out the window. And it's shocking.
Ramy Adeeb: And then you have to rescale. And that's a software engineer. And then rescale to a world. Now, will we want more software engineers? Sure. We probably would want more software to be built. And we will need more infrastructure and so forth. But I think about lawyers. I think about accountants. I think about brokers. I think about the entire world of the economy. And then I think of, and again, I think, frankly, we're fortunate in countries like Egypt where we haven't yet switched to a services economy. We're still a goods economy to some extent. And these are way more resilient. Pencil and paper economy.
Malak Fouad: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Ramy Adeeb: Pencil and paper economy, exactly. And a lot of people, and, you know, it's not the, you know, money isn't being made by low-region accounts. It's being made like from real estate and from food. So there is a chart philanthropic that I really think is worth taking a look back at. And the chart lists every job. And how much of it, you know, is being, you know, automated today and how much we think we might be able to automate in the future, right? And at the top of this list, at the top of this list, you see computer and math. Computer programming, 96% automatable, right? Business and finance, 94% automatable. Legal, 88% automatable. And then at the very bottom, you see agriculture, you see food and servicing, you see construction. And you can very quickly recognize, well, how much of my GDP comes from where?
Malak Fouad: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Ramy Adeeb: And instantly get an assessment of where it is false. And the more advanced the society, the bigger the challenge. So we need to reskill. But we don't know what the new skills are. And we have to reskill very quickly.
Malak Fouad: So that brings me to a question for you, Ramy. So I have, you met my children. Ali is one more year of university after this one. And he is, like all his friends, struggling to find internships, doesn't know if he's going to have a job at the end of this. What is he employable for? It's a real, real problem. My younger son is about to go to university in September, in August. And, you know, I'm thinking, you know, what should he be studying? Should he be just, you know, if we're going to take it as a hypothetical, Should he go more toward sciences or should he go more towards humanities or if he likes to read, should he become a writer? You know, where should the weight be put for future, for the future? If you were advising a young person today, what would you tell them?
Ramy Adeeb: I don't worry too much about the young folks because this is a time where it's not the strongest survives, it's the fittest who survives. And they are going to be an AI-native generation. Like, they are so much, they're already so much better at using chat.
Malak Fouad: They're already using it for everything, yeah.
Ramy Adeeb: It's almost, sometimes can be a little creepy because they use it to ask questions that I, about, almost like a personal coach to them. What should they study? I really don't know. I really don't know. The signs favor increasingly like that human connection, human communication, sales, leadership.
Malak Fouad: The soft skills, basically, right?
Ramy Adeeb: The soft skills or be a plumber, which in the US
Malak Fouad: Makes really good money. Or work with your hands, right?
Ramy Adeeb: Or work with your hands. Yeah. Because robotics aren't there yet. Yeah. But I want to talk, you know, we keep touching on this point of, you mentioned they're very young. I think this is a lot less about age and it's about a mindset. It's just the very classic biology. It's the fittest. It's not the straw, you know, Darwin. It's the fittest who survives.
Malak Fouad: Yeah, I see that. I see that point.
Ramy Adeeb: I think I might have shared this story. When we got started with 1984. So effectively, like the whole story, the whole journey started when I was having dinner with Sir Mohamed Mansour, right? He was obviously Egyptian and he was visiting Silicon Valley.
Malak Fouad: And let's remind the listeners, he was a big part of your beginnings and your foundation. Exactly.
Ramy Adeeb: So he was effectively a co-founder for us. When I had dinner with him, he said, Ramy, I live in Egypt. I invested in Uber. And these small technology startups come and threaten my businesses. I want to go and see where they start and I want to be part of their incubation, instead of waiting in Egypt or in London and then have them show up at my doorsteps knocking on my door. And this is a guy who was 71 at the time. He was 71 at the time.
Malak Fouad: Yeah, you're right. It's a mindset. It's not a...
Ramy Adeeb: But his mindset is like, oh, there's this new thing.
Malak Fouad: Yeah. How can I be part of it? I need to know about it.
Ramy Adeeb: Because so many of us are like, you know, 30s and 40s. Like, oh my God, what am I going to do? So, yeah, the world is changing, but there are folks whose mindset is, let me go understand what the new world is and let me go embrace it. And it's a really important mindset today.
Malak Fouad: In terms of 1984, I want to ask you two questions. Remind me, why is it called 1984? Is it from the Orwell book?
Ramy Adeeb: No, it is not from the Orwell book. It's for the Apple commercial. Apple launched a commercial in 1984. When it launched the computer, the personal computer, the commercial was about tiny little sort of heroin fighting against Big Brother or Big Blue, which was IBM. Apple was a tiny little company fighting against IBM, which was the biggest tick. And that story of small tech going after big tech is the story that keeps repeating itself every day in our business. Today, our startups, who are they afraid of the most? Open AI and Anthropik. They are the big tech.
Malak Fouad: That's really interesting.
Ramy Adeeb: I like that. And our job is to work with, yeah. So you're helping.
Malak Fouad: The little guy beat the big guy. Exactly. And drilling down a little bit, Ramy, into the fund, the current fund, are there sectors within AI that you're excited about, that you're putting money behind? Are you focused on biotech? Are you focused on medicine? Are you focused on climate? Are there areas that you think You know, there are clear winners for me in terms of, I mean, it's a no-brainer that AI helping in healthcare medicine is a game changer. You know, one of the alumni I've had on the show is this fantastically dynamic woman called Nadine Hachach-Haram. She's a Lebanese surgeon. She's based in the UK. She has a startup. I don't even think it's a startup anymore called Proximy. Proximy. And she, in the last couple of years, AI has completely transformed her business. They connect operating rooms around the world to surgeons to help do operations if they can't do them on site. And obviously, AI has had the most incredible positive impact on her business. So medicine for me, obviously, is a no brainer. But how are you approaching it? What are the industries that you're excited about?
Ramy Adeeb: We're also excited about vertical AI in general, AI going after all these legacy industries, whether it's insurance or brokerage or recruiting and staffing, software engineering. There was a lot of industries that were previously almost untouchable by venture that are now becoming fair play because of AI.
Malak Fouad: Give me an example, Ramy.
Ramy Adeeb: Recruiting. HR tech was always like, you don't want to sell to HR teams, but now AI fully automates interviews.
Malak Fouad: Yes, Ali's doing a semester in London and he had an AI-led internship interview the other day.
Ramy Adeeb: Yeah, of course. It's phenomenal. But then there are some other industries where I maybe am less excited. I think environment and climate being one of them because I think sometimes, as either venture capitalists or software engineers, we, you know, if you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. And so we really want to solve climate change with software. Climate change is not a software problem. Climate change is a material science problem, a policy problem, and a capital problem. Agreed. So if you want to solve it, you can make money doing real research and material science and figure out a substrate, improving manufacturing. You can make money by building solar farms as a capital provider. You can go and work with policy and government and technological innovation, but it's not software. People are like, I'm going to build this software company that's going to do carbon emission measuring and marketplace. How many of these can we have? It's not really the problem. So you want to make sure. But you look at healthcare. I'm like, wow. For the longest time, software in healthcare was about automating what's called pre-care coordination. Today, for the first time, we can automate clinical work. The actual work of diagnosis, of bringing the data, analyzing it, communicating it to the patient and working with them on a treatment plan. That is incredible. The real hurdles today are regulatory. Are regulatory and structural around payment.
Malak Fouad: Let's take a step back. I just want to drill down into your own kind of life a little bit. Who would you consider to be someone that you find very influential or like a mentor figure to you? Today? Because I know that this changes over time.
Ramy Adeeb: Definitely. I used to work at Kusla Ventures, and it was founded by a well-known venture capitalist called Vinod Kusla, who was the very first investor in open AI. And Vinod has continued to be incredibly influential in the world of AI. And he embodies to a great extent what a venture capital should do. He really lets, you know, he's willing to imagine what things can become, invest in the potential of people and ideas and not be bothered by what could go wrong. And that's how he was the first check in OpenAI. And that's why he has many failures as well.
Malak Fouad: You have to be a risk taker, right?
Ramy Adeeb: You have to be a risk taker, right? Which is a topic we talked about a lot last time.
Malak Fouad: We did. We did. What's your appetite for risk these days?
Ramy Adeeb: Pretty high. You know, for ideas. Yeah, I think the obvious ideas are very competitive. Some of our best companies, like we're in AI interviews, way ahead of it. It's like, I'm willing to take risks and idea that might or may not work.
Malak Fouad: But that also comes with experience, Ramy, I think, right? You're much more established now. You've been around the block. You've seen failures. You've seen successes. I guess your appetite for risk increases as well, I guess, when you are more experienced.
Ramy Adeeb: So it's an interesting question you're saying. I think it goes back to the mindset. There are folks who take less risk with time and there are folks who take more risk with time. When I got started in this industry, I was working with a very, very, very seasoned older gentleman called Pierre Lamond, who is today 95, still alive. He was one of the founders of National Semiconductors. He was a VC at Sequoia for a long time and he was at Coastal when I was there and he was, Tass was mentoring us. At the time he was 80, he was the oldest person working in VC and he still sometimes practices today. And I remember Pierre saying, if you learn from your mistakes, In our industry, by the time you're 50, you're not going to be making a single investment.
Malak Fouad: Oh, interesting.
Ramy Adeeb: We should learn from mistakes. But learning from mistakes is a really narrow subset that can preclude us from having future success.
Malak Fouad: It can make you risk averse. If you were to pick a different profession, let's just say, you know, all this was taken away from you and you had like a hobby or what would you do?
Ramy Adeeb: You know, when I was really young, I wanted to be a pilot because I wanted to travel the world. And then when I saw more of the world, I realized I definitely didn't want to be a pilot. I want to get to enjoy the places I go to, not just travel to them. And then I fell in love with computers. I wanted to be an engineer to build things. But now I realize that building things is about doing a lot more than writing code. It's about building teams and building organizations and leading folks through doing things. So I'd want to be building something and breaking it every once in a while. I don't know what that would be.
Malak Fouad: You have a young son, right?
Ramy Adeeb: I have a three and a half year old son.
Malak Fouad: So are you playing Lego with him? Are you building blocks with him and things like that?
Ramy Adeeb: We're doing Lego. We're doing blocks. I had him teaching him how to use a keyboard, which I think you're not supposed to have screen time. But I think computers are not screen time. I think cell phones are screen time in my mindset. Yeah. Yeah, it's really fun. It's really fun to see your, you know, natural intelligence as opposed to artificial intelligence in progress. It's incredible.
Malak Fouad: And see how quickly they learn at this age. They're like sponges. They just take it all in, right? It's incredible.
Ramy Adeeb: Yeah. And see also how they learn how to be manipulative. It's incredible. For a three-year-old, you're like, wow. You know, AI is getting there, but the humans are so much faster at it.
Malak Fouad: That's right. That's right. And what's a typical day for you, Ramy? Are you still commuting between the East and West Coast?
Ramy Adeeb: I spend probably three weeks in New York, one week in San Francisco a month. I mean, New York and San Francisco are the two capitals of entrepreneurship. San Francisco is more important right now. And so I'm spending a lot of time in SF. Because when you're going through this massive rapid technological innovation, and our portfolio is about two-thirds SF, one-third New York. New York has a little better access to markets, though. So San Francisco has access to technologies. New York has access to ideas where to implement them. And so you find the pure technologists building in SF, the more application level folks building in New York.
Malak Fouad: Interesting. What's a typical day for you? Does it vary depending on which part of the country you're in?
Ramy Adeeb: It's a lot of meetings. I wake up. My job is to make my wife coffee.
Malak Fouad: That's always a good job, Ramy.
Ramy Adeeb: Keep doing that. She's a good job. She makes breakfast for our son, but I need to make her coffee. Obviously, lots of joys, lots of LinkedIn, lots of cheesy LinkedIn posts about having children. Effect on your professional career and life. But it certainly provides a wonderful, reprieve from work and a healthy one. And then work provides a great reprieve from them. For sure.
Malak Fouad: Because kids are very challenging, as we know.
Ramy Adeeb: It's a very symbiotic relationship. But then, you know, I probably drop them off at eight and then I start my, probably from eight to nine. I'll do it. I try to not schedule calls from eight to nine and leave that more, maybe if I have a call with Europe, or somewhere far from the US. But I typically spend that doing email and then my calls start 9, 9.30, go until 5.36.
Malak Fouad: Do you have any time for exercise and sort of unwinding or does that not figure these days? It's very, I find it so important to clear my mind, you know?
Ramy Adeeb: I need to do more of it. I typically swim twice a week.
Malak Fouad: Oh, that's nice. I love swimming as well. So Ramy, this was an amazing conversation as usual. I always find our conversations very eye-opening and really this drilling down into subjects I find really inspiring. I want to end with what I call the quick fire round. And so this is like this really fun and light little segment. Ready? All right. Online connectivity or offline anonymity?
Ramy Adeeb: Online anonymity.
Malak Fouad: Ha ha. Good one. I didn't think of that. Okay. Favorite activity?
Ramy Adeeb: Sailing.
Malak Fouad: Where do you sail?
Ramy Adeeb: In San Francisco and in the Caribbean. So I've owned a small boat that I shared with a couple of my friends for like 25 years and I love sailing. It's an incredible...
Malak Fouad: And so you sail yourself. You've learned how to sail. That's amazing. Yeah. So that's your downtime. That's how you switch off.
Ramy Adeeb: That is how I switch off. And you have to switch off because you have to. There's a lot going on.
Malak Fouad: Of course.
Ramy Adeeb: Lines and ropes and sails and traffic and fog that's.
Malak Fouad: Such a nice activity
Ramy Adeeb: Ramy but it's not an exercise.
Malak Fouad: Yeah what's your least favorite activity
Ramy Adeeb: Exercise going to the gym I can't get myself to do it I just can't go to the gym and, And like exercise without a purpose. I will work really hard. Like I love digging trails. And so I love to work hard with my hands. I love to swim. I love to build things. But to go to the gym and just lift weights or run on a treadmill, I can't get myself to do it.
Malak Fouad: And you're more outdoorsy then. You don't want to be indoors as well.
Ramy Adeeb: Yeah, I love outdoors.
Malak Fouad: Last two things. I have a hard time.
Ramy Adeeb: Dealing with bullshit.
Malak Fouad: Is that on a work level?
Ramy Adeeb: I think there is a lot of noise on Twitter and LinkedIn. Clickbait, stupid ideas that are being promoted like it's massive insights and wisdoms. And I have a really hard time. I agree.
Malak Fouad: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And they're acting as though they've invented the wheel, right? And it is bullshit.
Ramy Adeeb: I wonder if there's a better way than saying dealing with bullshit. Maybe dealing with group. I don't want to sound too cerebral, but I could say dealing with groupthink.
Malak Fouad: There's also such a focus now on exhibiting yourself, right? And trying to portray yourself as the one and only one with the knowledge, with the know-how. And, you know, there's that side of life today that is very, I find very, very difficult to deal with.
Ramy Adeeb: Yeah. And you know that people are seeing through it. You know that everybody sees through it.
Malak Fouad: Absolutely.
Ramy Adeeb: You know, I think it reminds me, I heard the other day LinkedIn is Instagram for adults.
Malak Fouad: I am really turned off LinkedIn. I find that it's just such self-publicity. And it really is beginning to really bother me.
Ramy Adeeb: But there's something about what you said. It's not about bullshit. It's about almost... Fake AI enabled self-promotion and social media.
Malak Fouad: Yeah. Last point. I get joy from.
Ramy Adeeb: Seeing founders grow.
Malak Fouad: Very nice. So last time when you and I chatted, I think we ended our conversation by you talking to me about Burning Man. And it was a big thing in your life then. Is that still even happening now?
Ramy Adeeb: It is. We're going in August. I don't know if it's a big thing in my life.
Malak Fouad: Oh, you're still into it.
Ramy Adeeb: I don't know if it's a big thing in my life. You know, it's just a fun event. You know, I wonder if I've gotten, And it's funny because I don't talk about it as much, not because we go less, but maybe because we're more established as a firm. And now I'm becoming one of those conservative, don't talk about personal stuff. Don't be that guy. Burning Man is incredible. It's a very unique experience for you to leave your identity outside. Go be surrounded by art. Find what you're passionate about, whether it's art, music. It's a very harsh environment, particularly hard for Egyptians because we know what a desert is. And for us, it's not exotic. For everybody, it's like, oh my God, it's like a desert. I'm like, I know exactly what it is. And we spend our entire life trying to avoid it. And so it's a...
Malak Fouad: I've outgrown places that don't have state-of-the-art designer bathrooms. I don't do camping. I don't do any of this stuff. I'm just like, no, show me a place with a nice bathroom and I'm all yours. Thanks for joining me today. I'm Malak Fouad, and this episode was produced by Chirag Desai. I'll be back again soon with a new guest. I hope you can join me then.