Living up to his billing as the most uncensored guest ever, marketing professor Mark Ritson joins Jon on the podcast. From why most CMOs are shit, why spending in a recession is required, to revealing why Jon got fired after a 6-month walk of shame. Warning - this episode contains explicit content and would not recommend listening with kids around!
- Find out what inspired Mark to switch the actual classroom for the virtual one
- How he ended up being the old, rich guy with a wine collection he used to laugh at
- What he thinks of the 50% of Marketers that have no professional training
- Why it's now time we all just all ditch the ‘D’ word and get back to Marketing
- Find out what every normal person knows about Advertising that Marketers pay good money to figure out
- Discover the most important factors in marketing effectiveness and why its time to think about the s**t we put through the pipe
- Why a recession is exactly the time you want to be increasing your spend
- Why you should never confuse a change in consumer context for a change in consumer behaviour
- “Tell me what hasn’t changed and I will build a business around that” & other great quotes to counter the constant stream of ‘everything's changed. Buy this book’ hype
- Discover why Mark believes the smartest people are not the ones sat around the boardroom table
- Find out why most CMO’s are more C than M and are not always the best marketers in their team
- The secret to CMO success is 80-90% politics over marketing
- The dangers of Canadian morning TV after a big night out
- We round off the episode finding out why Jon got fired after a 6-month ‘walk of shame’
What is Uncensored CMO?
The Uncensorced CMO was created to explore the good, the bad and quite frankly downright ugly truth about marketing theory & practice.