Gene Tavernetti: Welcome to Better Teaching, Only Stuff That Works, a podcast for teachers, instructional coaches, administrators, and anyone else who supports teachers in the classroom. This show is a proud member of the BE Podcast Network shows that help you go beyond education. Find all our shows@bepodcastnetwork.com. I Am Gene Tavernetti the host for this podcast. And my goal for this episode, like all episodes, is that you laugh at least once and that you leave with an actionable idea for better teaching. A quick reminder, no cliches, no buzzwords. Only stuff that works. A little more than two years ago, Dr. Frank Rodriguez brought together a group of colleagues from across the country to discuss an issue he had been encountering in his afterschool programs. The impact of screens on children and the behaviors that seem to emerge as a result of excessive screen time. After meeting virtually for several months, the group began gathering in person to more deeply examine the issue, identifying specific challenges schools were facing, and exploring what might be done to mitigate some of those behaviors. Over time, the work evolved into developing a systematic approach that schools could use to address what we began to see as runaway technology, where technology was driving the conversation rather than serving as a tool to support learning. Not long after the idea emerged that a book should be written, one that would do more than simply point out the problem. We wanted to identify the issues clearly and more importantly, outline practical systems schools could implement to address them instead of just saying, isn't this terrible? We wanted to offer solutions that we knew could work. That effort led to the book Digital Captives, Helping Schools strike a balance between humans and hardware. Written by Frank Rodriguez, Donna Smith, and myself, gene Taber. Today we're gonna talk about that book and we're joined by a friend of the podcast and a respective voice in education, Bart Hoffman, who will guide the conversation as we explore what schools can actually do to address this growing challenge and the benefits educators may gain from reading and applying the ideas in this book. I think you're gonna enjoy this conversation. So very excited to have, uh, an old friend Bart Hoffman here today to talk to us about our new book, digital Captives. So Bart, uh, so happy and and thankful that you're here to conduct this interview with us.
Bart: Thank You You argue that schools have shifted from producing digital natives to becoming digital captives. What does that shift really mean?
Frank: we started this work thinking about how students were changing over the course of, you know, the years following the pandemic. Gina and I are talking and thinking about. The start, our start of the start of our work together, back in the early part of the century, in 2004, I think 2005, um, how we, the optimism at that point was about how the technology was gonna really transform education and make, and the students were gonna grow up in it in a very healthy way, um, and be, and be digital natives in the way that we were digital immigrants too. what happened in actuality from our perspective is that everything shifted so fast. Everything from, social media to, to now ai, but also just the internet and, and quick cut videos. that really shifted how students think and, and how we do as well, and how we interact with each other. And at some point it tipped the scales to where they went from being natives to really being. Captives to the screens, whether the screens be at home, in the phone, in the form of phones and tablets and TV or the, or at school in the form of tablets and Chromebooks.
Gene Tavernetti: in addition to, in addition to that, the, the work that Frank does in his rise after school programs, he was able to see, these differences manifest. I mean, they were very clear differences, kids not being able to, uh, to pay attention as well. Executive function were not where, uh, typical five year olds, 10 year olds were. And so it was, uh, it wasn't just something that we had read in a book. I mean, Frank was experiencing it every day with his folks.
Frank: Yeah. And if I can piggyback on that, actually I'm gonna say that even more than myself, my staff was experiencing it and we were experiencing it from like four year olds through 22 year olds. Because, you know, we, we employ a lot of 18, 19, 20, 22 year olds, uh, in our afterschool programs, tutoring programs, summer programs, et cetera. And we were seeing that, that they were acting differently in terms of like communication, how they, how they wrote, but also even things like eye contact or how we conducted interviews, you know, shifting to zoom how many would show up in their pajamas on the interviews. So there was definitely a shift there, but we also noticed it in the programs with like four and five year olds. Like Gene was saying, that we're having a difficult time. Assimilating to what the school structures were like, partly 'cause they missed preschool, but also partly because they were coming in, it seemed to us at the time, wired a little bit differently. So we were having those issues with four, four, and five and six year olds who were like running outta classrooms in ways we hadn't seen before. But also we had like seven and 80 year olds cutting themselves, doing self-harm threats. Uh, kids that, you know, seventh and eighth grade talk about depression in ways that they hadn't. So we know that something shifted at, initially, we attributed it to the pandemic. This is 2022 we're talking about. As we got further from that and we got more into post pandemic life, we saw that those things weren't subsiding and that there were some other things tied to it as well that were going on. Not just academically, but also communication wise and social emotionally. So I think that, um. That we saw that something had tipped in the kids and the pandemic was a huge tipping point. As we got further into the research, we found that really it started prior to that.
Bart: Could you talk a little bit more about when you realized that technology was moving from augmenting instruction to replacing it?
Frank: I mean, we've been working in schools for together for 20, going on 22 years. when, when schools first started bringing technology, I mean, I was a teacher in the 1990s and she was a teacher in the 1980s and we had, you know, like one laptop or one, one, uh, one desktop and you played Oregon Trail on it or whatever. Uh, you use it for word processing. In the early two thousands, we started seeing, you know, three or four or five imax uh, and we talk about this in the book, the evolution of that, how those then got replaced by laptop. And then the Chromebook card came in as broadband expanded, at some point in about 2014. I think that's a hinge point for us in our book and other books about this as well. In the work by Jonathan Hyde and Johann Hari, about 2014, there was some sort of tipping point where like all of a sudden all the hardware was in place and what happened right at that point? If you think back to it historically, and we talk about this I think in chapter one, that No Child Left Behind went away at the end of 2015. Um, and what came in to replace it, um, essa, every Student Succeeds Act was a lot more, you know, like personally tailored instruction, less accountability on, on assessments. Not that. You know, drug coding accountability is great either. But once that shift happened, through the E-Rate, um, funding happened where funding exploded to where every district could have broadband and be able to have 30 Chromebooks on at the same time in every classroom. Once those things happened, there was like just this surge of programs that came into classrooms. And so I think the tipping point was probably 20 16, 20 17. We didn't realize that at the time, I think we realized that after the fact that wait a minute, what's happening here? And so we shifted in our own programs. We've shifted away from that into like more just interacting with each other type of work because we've seen the shift happen in the school day, in the afterschool programs and as a result of COVID. So I think all of those things together really kind of brought it together.
Gene Tavernetti: And then I think for me, as I was working with, with schools, during COVID, I mean basically I thought I was retired on, you know, March 13th, 2000, and when, uh. The interest from the districts were, okay, can you coach us in how to do this distance learning how, how to do, how to do this, this virtual learning. And so, the schools got so wrapped up in that, how do we, how do we continue to provide services to kids, even though they knew they weren't doing a good job, but because of the things that, Frank had talked about. I mean, there were some schools that would just check out the Chromebooks. So the kids had, uh, they were available for lessons, and they did the best they could during that process. But when they came back, the teachers didn't give it up. The teachers, it was almost like they were doing the same type of virtual lessons, but in person with the kids. And so they are the ones that weren't giving up The laptops and the Chromebooks when we, when we came back. so even though stuff was happening before the pandemic, that distance learning, that whole, way to look at, that distance learning really made an impact on, on moving forward. So that really. that really showed me the captivity part. They were, they were captive at that point.
Bart: So in a sense, the pandemic didn't create the problem, it accelerated it. What became normalized that should have remained temporary?
Frank: I mean, I think education being transactional. We talk about this as well in the book, how, to me, uh, to bar to, to jean, to you, um, who are lifelong educators. education is transformational. And at that point out of necessity, I mean, we understand we were working in schools. We were all working in schools at the time on March 13th, like, like Jean mentioned, um, it became transactional. We had to have some sense of normalcy for the kiddos. And so we transitioned into, um, into the Zoom learning and to, you know, Google meets learning. Some of that never went away. We, um, walk into classrooms now. I think what differentiates our book, uh, from others that are really, that are really well written, but what differentiates us is that we're actually in classrooms. We were in classrooms together yesterday. Um, we were in 22 classrooms yesterday. I sat and planned lessons with teachers on Monday. Gene tomorrow is gonna go back and observe classrooms, uh, at a high school. And what we notice is there is such a plethora of material. There are so many companies that are vying for that digital dollar. You know, that it overwhelms teachers' decision making. And I think what's happened is that it's become like almost, too much riches. And I think that's what instead of, instead of like really thinking about what am I trying to achieve with this lesson, um, it's become more like, what of all these offerings that I can have digitally can the kids partake in? And I think that is what should have gone away that didn't go away.
Bart: So based on all your observations, what most concerns you post pandemic?
Gene Tavernetti: I think it goes back to things that we were doing 20 years ago. Just, you know, how do we present lessons? Well, and the way we always talked about, uh, instruction is in a well-designed, a well-designed lesson, which includes those transformational elements that, that Frank was talking about. So there is the teacher is leading. Students in conversation, in structured conversation, in lots of checking for understanding, in lots of, uh, making sure that the, the kids are paying attention, which, which wasn't happening again, uh, during, during the pandemic, and which just was just assumed when you had the Chromebook out. you know, going back to some foundational things that, that, the research that we're, that we're looking at, I mean, it started in the fifties, sixties, that nothing's been disputed, but, uh, in this ageist society, there's just no, there is no, uh, institutional memory for stuff, you know, every, every 15 years. It seems like we're starting brand new, brand new. The things that we started out doing when we were working together, talking about, uh, using, uh, mini whiteboards, you know, to check for understanding. It's like we go back again. And never heard of it. Oh. Oh, really? Where did these come from? And so, uh, I, I, I think, you know, a lot of what we talk about in the book is, is, has been foundational since the eighties.
Frank: I think, if I can piggyback on that, I think obviously those are all like classroom based concerns and a hundred percent I agree with 'em. I was telling, uh, Jean yesterday about a post that I came across, um, recently, and it said, it was a post-it that I wrote in 2015 and I found it in a closet somewhere. And it said in 2000, and I wrote this in 2015, in 2005, we were working with teachers on using whiteboards to check for understanding. In 2015, we're working with teachers on using whiteboards to check for understanding. And the question is, in 2025, we'll be using whiteboards. And the answer was, yeah, that's what we were working on last year. You know, uh, so it's, it's like gene's talking about, it's like the stuff just goes away. In the book, we talk about, um, two really well-known metaphors in education. One is a Rip Van Winkle, you know, going to sleep and waking up a hundred years later. And he wakes up and he recognizes nothing. He looks around, he sees airports and he sees, you know, cars and everything. He's got no idea what anything is until he walks into a school and then he feels like, oh, I recognize this, this is a school. Right? So that's one we talk about, but we also talk about the pendulum. And the pendulum is actually even more well known in these, just these dramatic swings in practice. now we're seeing some backlash, I think. And just in the last three days there's been a, an article in the New York Times, About, um, you know, iPads in kindergarten and parents starting to rebel against that. That was yesterday, the, the 10th. Uh, on Friday. On Monday there was an article in education, uh, next, and it talked about, um, it, it was, uh, called logged in, tuned Out regarding middle school and high school students. They're on their Chromebooks. They tune out and we see that in practice when we're in the classrooms like we were yesterday. And there was another article by the, the gentleman who wrote a Digital Delusion, which is kind of a companion, not a companion, but a complimentary book to ours. And he pat some data about how as schools locked in to more and more digital, the nap scores kind of just hit a plateau and then have, have, uh, fallen over the last, over the last 10 years. So that's all instructionally. And so what we're seeing now is this pendulum possibly swinging back the other way towards, uh. Yeah, like do away with the screens. Well, you can't do that. You know, kids need to be able to interact with technology in a healthy way and which is what we talked about, just having balance. but I wanna go back to what Jim was talking about in your question about what most scares you. And I'll tell you what most scares me is, is broader, actually the schools, um, Johann Hari and still focus talks about this. Jonathan Hyde talks about an actions generation, but I think to me, the ones that even hit it more on the head are Nicholas Carr, like in Super Bloom and, um, Timothy Wu and, in, uh, attention Merchants, and even going back to Neil Postman, uh, in the 1980s, um, about how if adult attention spans and ability to focus and communicate well. And have multiple perspectives. If those are going downhill, then what happens to the next generation? You know? And we talk about that in the book, like a second grader or a third grader who's being acclimated to more and more intensification as far as what will get their attention more and more gamification. What will they need in the fourth grade when the fourth, they need more because a dopamine rush just won't be the same, right? So you keep on accelerating and augmenting that. What happens when those kids become, you know, voting age? And what we're getting is very disposable. Attention spans, I think is how I would refer to it. And I think that's what scares me the most is how do we tackle the huge issues we have, not just in the country, but in the world when we have. A citizenry in 20 years who have attention spans of 1920 seconds, which is what the research shows. Most recently, they can, you know, college students in a, I think it was a 2023 study, they have attention spans of about 20 seconds. People our age are about two and a half minutes, but we grew up analog, Right? What happens when today's second grader is in college? What will the attention span be then? And when they're running the country? So I think that's what scares me even more globally than what's going on in the classrooms.
Gene Tavernetti: And And I think something that also is scary is talking about the, um, the different timeframes. 10 years, 15 years, you know? So now we have, uh, teachers, teachers and administrators who since this is so normal, they don't see any dangers. You know, they have to be, they have to be pointed out. But once they're pointed out, it's very, it's very clear, you know, that you walk into a classroom and all the laptops are up. You know, we know the teacher can't see, you know, they're, oh sure there's a monitoring program, but it's just not, it's just not the same. And so, so much has been normalized and, and it's very difficult, you know, we'll do a staff development, we'll do a training for administrators, and we have to tell 'em, shut your laptops, you know, get off your phone. And that's what, that's the, what we're talking about is, is that issue with kids. So, so it is, uh, bigger than schools, like you say, it's, it's, adults really have to really have to follow that lead and first of all, acknowledge that they're there as well. Yeah. And that it's not okay. We want things to be okay. It's not okay. Uh, but, but we're also competing with, technology companies that are, you know, funded by billionaires and, and it's just the promises that they, that they make, uh, they're too seductive.
Frank: Tim w talks about this in attention merchants, how things that have become normalized, that were not like having a phone at the dinner table that just was not the norm before. Right. Or, you know, back in the, maybe early 2010s, if the phone rang at church, you know, the priest might make a joke about it. Oh, God's calling. You know, now it's like something you expect the phones to ring in church and it's, and there shouldn't be, but it's become like, just normalized, like, like Chino was talking about. So I think in, uh, in chapter four we talk about, um, creating a a filter in classrooms for friction just to slow down and to be more thoughtful about what we bring into classrooms. When you're thinking about a textbook adoption, it takes about a year and a half, right? To, to adopt a textbook. You have to put it out to all the different stakeholders. You have public viewings of it, you know, do a seance over it. And to finally adopt a curriculum. Or I can just go online and download an app and have it in front of kids, you know, in a heartbeat. And, and there's ways to work around district, you know, district, uh, filters and such. So we talk about that, in chapter four of the book. We also talk about how this happened in classrooms, in schools within a broader digital immersion. It didn't happen in isolation. So I think part of what happened is because we were all learning how to to shop and be entertained and book our travel and use Google Maps and such, we didn't notice the same thing was going on in schools. And that's partly why it snuck up on us, I think. And it wasn't, uh, I think maybe it was Johann Hari who talks about it, um, in stolen focus. That, what COVID did. It's almost like that frog that's boiling in the, you know, in the water. And it's turning up really slowly and it doesn't realize What's happening to it. What COVID did was it turned the heat up really fast so that all of a sudden those of us that were able to step out of it afterwards realized, Hey, something's happened here. That isn't good. and I think that's what's, you know, what's led us on this path. We started talking about this three years ago. Uh, and I'm glad to, to see that there's more, I think voices out there now saying the same thing.
Bart: I also hear from teachers who report declines in working memory, sustained attention and task persistence. What does the research say about what's happening cognitively?
Gene Tavernetti: Well, in digital delusions, uh, uh, there's a lot of data that that just shows declining. Declining cognitively. I mean, he's pretty, he's pretty bold in how he, how he says that he doesn't talk about a, a learning loss, but he just, you know, he's got data that, that show where the, you know, this is the first generation that, that is not doing as well as the prior generation, or at least as well. so there's evidence, there's evidence out there, and it's, it's pretty indisputable.
Frank: Uh, and I think, I think he, um, he talked about that this generation is the first one that is like the, the IQ is actually lower than the parents' generation by about six points in the last 120 years. More recently, just on, on Monday. I think he came out with that article that showed where the NA scores have dropped over time. But I think, so that's cognitively, but I think what we're seeing is even at the precognitive level, even things like, like holding information and working memory. And being able to carry it from that center to that center that has dropped off, you know, or things like, uh, being able to lock in to what's on the board and then bringing that information down and copying it and writing down here and then looking back up again. That has dropped handwriting, you know, because of, we run school programs, we have, you know, students do things and so we have instant reports that kiddos write And we actually have really good data. Going back and comparing handwriting from 2014 with handwriting from 2024 is dramatically different. Handwriting of a second grader in 2014 is about equivalent with handwriting from a fourth grader now. So there, that's fine. Motor skills that are being lost as well. So it is, there's those things you can see that you can measure. and then there's things that unless you're looking for them, you know, you don't necessarily see it. And so we talk about a little bit of this in chapter six. We talk about how. It's not enough to just focus on schools. You know, kiddos are in schools about 12% of the calendar year, The calendar year is 8,700 hours and the kids spend about 11 or 1200 of it in So what happens to the other 6,000 hours or 7,000 hours? so part of that is, is working at the superintendent and principal level, at school leader level, board level, working with everything from prenatal education providers to, you know, colleges and, and really taking a community effort. Because what's happening in schools is only 12% of the year. It's what's happening outside of it. Right. So in our afterschool programs and our summer programs, we've actually really done away, unless the kids are doing Lego robotics, because we do want them engineering and thinking in that way, unless they're doing that or they have homework on their Chromebooks, they're basically not on screens at all. They're interacting with each other and. We put in place a couple of things that we talk about in the book. One's called pencil practice, where they're actually learning how to transfer information, how to shift and lock their focus. We put in place like learning centers for them to have to memorize the directions over there are such, and then I'm gonna do that for five minutes and then go over there and have a different set of directions. 'cause they're not getting a chance to practice that when they're just going from one app to the next on their screens. And so there's a cognitive decline, you know, measured by test scores and such. But then below that, below that, there's a precognitive skills that we're really worried about. and We can think about ourselves. you know, memorizing phone numbers. We used to know thirty, forty, fifty phone numbers. Now we know like maybe three, and, and Nicholas Carr talked about this in the shallows. Very early book 2010, talked about William James an American psychologist who compared learning, um, to, you know, water cutting through the sand and how water cuts through a sand and it creates a channel. So the next time water comes the same way, it'll probably find that channel, right? Same thing's going on with neural pathways. It's making those channels deeper and deeper and deeper. And so once you practice certain things, like not memorizing phone numbers guess what your brain's gonna do? Not memorize that phone number, especially if it knows it doesn't need to. And that's not, not as necessary, but things like having, awareness about the environment. Like one of the things that we noticed very early on with our staff applicants, you know, again, our 20, 21, 22 year olds, is we would ask them, um, where do you live? Like the address, the cross streets. And the reason we needed to know that is so we knew like what schools to place in that, because we had like 35 schools they didn't know the cross streets. I live over by the Circle K. Like what do you mean the circle K by the Circle K behind the nail salon. Like we have a lot of nail salons, you know, like you need to know how do you find yourself in a three dimensional space if you don't have that sense of space of geography? So I think what we're losing goes well beyond cognitive into like some sociocognitive things that make us be able to, to, function.
Gene Tavernetti: And I think without an awareness of what, what Frank's talking about, we look for technology to help us get out of that. So, so, and I think again, that's where these, these vendors are so good. Oh, you have a problem. Your kids aren't performing well in this. We got an app. We got a platform. And so again, the the irony is, really shows the captivity. Like, like, we've got a problem caused by this, but the same people are gonna help pull us out, which doesn't happen.
Bart: Could you explain screen inferiority in reading comprehension?
Frank: Yeah. So Johann Hari talks about that in stolen focus. Um, and it's, there's quite a few studies by now that have shown it that, because when we read, we are tracking left to right, right? And if we're reading a book, things don't pop out at you. You're not expecting things to pop out at you. Um, there's a tactile connection. There's, There's, a connection to the brain that is different than when we read on screens. When we read on screens, we're reading, uh, we're skimming and scanning more. We're expecting more things to, to be going on with the, with the, the text around it. And so what his. Book shows is that by the time the kids are in third grade, um, there's about, about a two thirds of a year loss if they're reading primarily on screens versus reading primarily, on text. and then that, that carries, you know, that carries, and we see that there's actually a, an article in, um, I'm sorry, not an article, a quote in the book from a teacher, who, you know, she taught for 37 years college, a reading specialist and a college professor. And, uh, she, in a college class, she would give the, the students first day of class, a fourth to sixth grade text just to see where they were. And she said that over the course of the last 10 years, there's been a steady decline. And their ability to read college students' ability to read fourth to sixth grade text because they're very good at skimming and scanning. They're not as good as that linear reading and that internalizing of it, I mean, so it's, it's numbers, it's numerical, you know, Johann Hari talks about that, but we see it every day and we see it with, you know, like, like Kathy did in the
Gene Tavernetti: you know. And I think also some of the, some of the interventions for students, older students who aren't, uh, reading well are based on, you know, having this book in front of them. Be learning how to annotate, learning how to ask questions, learning how to, uh, uh, read for prosody. I mean, you know, all of these things. Can't do it with a screen. You just, you just can't. Uh, big, a big push now is to get novels back into, into, secondary classroom or in all classrooms. And again, that has to be, you gotta be holding, you gotta be holding that paper and that paper book to be able to do it. So I, I think there are just some things that screens you can't do we just have to fess up to that.
Frank: There's a um, uh, Barbara King Solver's book, the Bean Trees, came out like in 88 or so, 89, and it's like, it's been passed on in my family. Every, everybody's read it 'cause I have to read it in school ' cause she's from Tucson. And I went to U of A and then my son had to read it. My daughter, I had to read it. Now my youngest is reading it and I came, came into a room last week and she was listening to a, something being read. And then I looked at her and she's got the book in her hand. It's the bean Trees. Um, and I said, what, what are you doing there? And she said, I'm I'm reading a book. And I said, no, you're not reading. YouTube is reading. And she said, well, I'm following along. And she's like, but look, I've annotated it. So she understood that really she had to have some sort of tactile connection to it. But I told her, you know, you need to actually be doing the effort. Of having your brain make those, make that decoding, and then, and then turn that into comprehension. because otherwise it's not the same level, not the same level of comprehension. So, even kids who are like, you know, pretty bright and doing the work, even the tactile work of it will fall, fall into those traps of what's the easiest way to do like Gene was saying, the, the digital companies will say, here, we'll help you do it. So like in our programs after school, we've told them, we don't want you reading on, you know, on the screen anymore. Take the kids outside, sit under a tree and read a book for the same reason. They need to hear the modeling and they need to, they need to make that connection in a way that we walk into kindergarten classroom sometimes and kids dunno how to turn a page ' cause they're so used to just swiping, you know, On the iPad. So there's something being lost there for sure.
Bart: Why are lower achieving students seeing the steepest declines?
Gene Tavernetti: It gets back to, um, uh, instruction. I mean, it, it's hard not to leave instruction as, as the most important variable, which, which I think research, again, for the past 50, 60 years. That's one of the, that's one of the, the primary, variables. And, and to be honest, it's how to teach is not taught in programs and teacher prep programs. In fact, again, during CO. You know, we don't want to blame COVID for everything, but they can be blamed for a few things. I mean, there were teachers who got their credential never having set foot in a classroom. And so, um, the, the programs, they don't train teachers. but they educate teachers about things. And so they don't, they don't learn how to teach a lesson, but they read about different ways to teach lessons. And so I think there's just a, a dearth of, uh, of education for, in pre-service.
Frank: I think also the, I mean to to your question about why the kids who were struggling the most are struggling more. we dedicate the book to kids who need to be taught. You know, there are some children who, who can go to the library on their own and they're fine. And we see it now when we walk into the classrooms. like yesterday I was telling the administrators I was with, like, you can tell that the screens have made, have made the self-directed kids continue to be active learners and those who wanna opt out cannot opt out. It's much harder to do that when there's that interaction with the teacher, teachers modeling, doing guided practice, and making the kids accountable moment to moment. I think that's fallen off. You know, And I think because that accountability has fallen off, that relationship has fallen off between the teacher and the, and the students. I think that that's been a big piece of it. But going back, even like Gino was talking about the 1970s and eighties, Ruby Payne, uh, framework, for Understanding Poverty, if you remember that book, uh, from, I think it was the late eighties, talked about how the single most important thing we do as far as instruction is the modeling Because the modeling is where you demystify the learner. I mean, I'm sorry, the learning. It, it makes it, it makes it quit being magic and it becomes, oh, I can do that too. And that with the modeling falling off, that demystification has fallen off. And I think you see a lot of more kids having this learned helplessness because they're not getting that anymore. So I think that's why we're seeing the steep declines. And again, the numbers show it. Uh, we talk about this in, in chapter one, the Rip Van Winkle piece, that instead of coming from the past, he had come from the future. He had come from 2034 and told educators in 2014, Hey guys, I've been to the future and you spent about $40 billion a year, um, to get more and more digital into classrooms. And what you're gonna see is that the high achieving kids, they'll do about the same, but your low achieving kids, they're gonna tank. Like, who would buy that? Nobody would buy that if we knew it in 20 14, 20 15. We're realizing it now in 20 25, 20 26. But I think that, um, it's gonna continue. Earlier when you asked the question about what scares you the most, I think it's this bifurcation that's There was an article in New York Times regarding reading habits. People who are reading still are reading more. But the number of people who didn't read a single book in the US in 20, in, 20, 24, I think it was, was over 50%. You know, so those of us that read, read more. ' cause there's more to read. Those of us that don't read have chosen not to, there's this big bifurcation happening that's gonna open up that inequality gap even more. I
Bart: So thinking about the future then, if this trend continues, what are long-term implications?
Frank: There's a good quote from a superintendent. in, at the end of chapter one, where we talk about there's alternative paths to this path that we're on. And this particular superintendent, really well regarded, she, um, was like the, she got the Technology Administrator award of the year in California a few years back. So she's very pro tech, but she said, if this trend continues, we're gonna go obsolete. And we're really worried about when we first started having these conversations two and a half years ago. It was really regarding the place of the mainstream school and mainstream public school and where that's going. And I think, you know, coming out of COVID in particular, we're looking at virtual schools, you know, homeschooling, alpha schools. There's all these schools that are becoming alternatives to schools, right? We feel like there's a really important place in, in America for the mainstream neighborhood, public And that's what I see as being a big concern, is that the more we hollow that out, the more that it becomes like, well, if we're gonna go to school and watch a screen, my kid can do that at home. Why send him to school? You know, we continue hollowing that out till at some point we hit a tipping point that we can't get back from. 'cause, you know, every year at, if attendance drops, if enrollment drops, your funding drops, gets harder to fund. Therefore it gets, it's like you're running up a hill backwards. And so I think that that's what is a really big cause for concern down this path that we're
Anjanette McNeely: on.
Gene Tavernetti: And it's interesting how schools. are in competition. The, you know, our, mainstream public schools are in competition with charters. And so they are running, you know, how can we provide what the charter's providing and what's a charter, usually providing more tech. And so they get onto this this treadmill and they don't know how to get off. And as an administrator it's hard to, to back away and say, well, wait a second, maybe we're not doing the right thing. Maybe all these things that I was cheerleading for, uh, weren't quite the best thing to do for kids. So, so everybody has some, uh, readjustment administrators, parents thinking as Frank talked about, thinking about what happens at home, how we, how we interact with our children. I think we just have to, you know, eat a big piece of humble pie and say, we made a mistake.
Bart: Yes. You share that learning is fundamentally social. So how has device heavy instruction changed the social experience of school?
Gene Tavernetti: it's just taking it away. I mean, you walk into a, you walk into a classroom and everybody's got headphones on and looking at a screen, where's the interaction? And so then, uh, I'm gonna go off on a tangent here. We could go off, you know, on AI to where now we get interaction with ai. AI can be our friends, which has been very scary for folks. So we lose skills. We don't know how to make friends. We don't know how to, to interact appropriately. all of those things contribute to the answer being more tech. You know, we'll we'll give them some interaction with the tech.
Frank: yeah, we'll give 'em an AI friend. You know, there's a, there's a couple of examples that are in the book and a couple that didn't make it, uh, that were great. Interview, interview quotes from teachers the teacher, uh, I think a Spanish teacher Um, the kids are on their screens and, uh, she's six feet away and they will send her a message on the, on the, device instead of just raising the hand and asking the question. She said, Tim, I'm right here. You can ask me the question. Oh, nevermind. And they're not comfortable having that interaction, like with the adults. But you know, like Jean said, you walk into the classroom and you can almost measure without even looking. are they on screens or not, because of how quiet. it is. a lot less interaction. And Jonathan, he talked about as an anxious generation, he's a professor at NYU, right? Um, how those last five minutes before class started would be the most bubbly time in his lectures. Everybody's talking to the person next to them, what they did on the weekend or whatever, or whatever test is coming up. And now it's the quietest time. It's the quietest time because everybody's on their phones. And the same thing I think happens in schools that allow phones. what used to be the most bubbly time, the most, you know, the most interactive time, the periods right before, right before a class started, or, or, uh, maybe the in the passing period had become very quiet. Everybody's walking with their head down. so the social interaction piece that's being lost is being lost in the classroom during, during guided practice, during closure, during checking for understanding because it's being done by the bot. and it's being lost outside of the classroom as
Bart: Are there any other things that teachers are telling you about student communication, resilience regulation?
Frank: Yeah. I never had heard the term dys reg dysregulation before until about two years ago about the ability to, to kind of center themselves and find how to, how to behave. So definitely we've heard that. I think we see it in our programs as well, that, that, all the pieces you asked about are happening.
Gene Tavernetti: Well, and I think something else that, that, we've been doing for, for quite a long time, that the technology has exasperated, We have to have a program for everything. The kids don't communicate. They don't, oh, SEL let's have a, let's have a new program. And, uh, kids don't have self-esteem. Well, we need a new program. And so we have all of these programs that are supposed to mitigate again, the issues that are being exasperated by the, the, uh, the technology. But we don't go to technology. We don't remove technology as an answer. We bring more technology in. And, and it's just, that's the, again, we're captive. Our thinking doesn't move beyond
Frank: There's a, there's a good chapter in the book, uh, that our, our third, uh, author who's not here today, ' cause she's actually in a school, again, what I think makes us different. We're actually in schools every week. But she wrote a chapter on durable skills and integrating those into the lesson design. and then to really making that be not an add-on program, but like, you teach a lesson and you integrate these skills, right? You integrate communication, collaboration, critical thinking. It's not an aside and it's not a program. It's something you just do as part of your lesson design. probably my favorite part of the book is the superintendent speech at the end of and the superintendent kind of is compared to a superintendent in the prologue of the book, who was the gung ho in 2014. The setting is 2014 for the prologue. Very gung-ho, very like, you know, let's get this, let's get this, we gotta get a screen in front of every kid. The superintendent in 2034, which is the, which is where the epilogue is, says, we're not gonna do that. We're gonna dial back. We're gonna use 'em when, when we need. ' 'em, But they're not gonna dominate our lives. We don't like what we're seeing with our kids. And he talks about durable skills and communication and collaboration and all of that. And, and the super fictional superintendent says, um, not that long ago, computer science majors were like the exploding major. Right? And colleges across the country, some of those kids can't find a job now because AI has taken that away, right? We need to make the kids durable themselves. And it's not so much the content, it's not so much the program It's having those skills where they get to adapt and interact and communicate and collaborate. That is missing. And it's not bringing in, you know, let's add on an SEL program or whatever. It's, let's integrate it into what the kids are doing every day. Very difficult to do if they're on screens three or four hours a day.
Bart: So if you were advising a superintendent tomorrow, what's the first move toward balance
Gene Tavernetti: by digital captives? I, say it as a joke, but you know, as Frank said, this, is what's different about this book is that the three of us who were involved in this book. We're actually working in schools in the aughts. I never said that before in the aughts. We, were working and seeing this, seeing this work, seeing, seeing, uh, what we talked about actually doing this work, you know, that I'd be, you know Frank used to you'd be at, be in your district doing, doing that work. So we know that it's not enough to identify the problem. You know, what, what can we do about it? It's gonna be as difficult to get out of the problem as it was easy to get in. But there is a roadmap, and I think that's, that's the power of, of this book. There are so many folks, in the consulting business who like to go in and walk around and say, ah, you need to do this, you need to do that, but how do you do it? And I think that's a big difference in, in, this book.
Frank: Yeah, I think we spent, we spend basically the intro and chapter one presenting the problem and then, uh, two through six how to, how to get out of that, And so so yeah, read the book would be the first thing. But I think secondly, it would be like, let's go to your classrooms. Let's go walk 20 classrooms randomly and let's just look at how engaged are the students with only one variable? Are they on screens or not? And what you're gonna see is the more they're on screens, the less engaged. um, and I don't need a, you know, a double blind experiment for that. We can just go and walk into 20 classrooms, or probably any school in the country that, any mainstream public school in the country that, purports to be balanced and we would see it.
Bart: So what does healthy intentional tech integration actually look like then?
Frank: that's a good question. We were just having a conversation yesterday actually with, uh, regarding how to use AI to help us write, um, lessons. that integrate, collaboration, communication And everything else. It's not saying, I'll start by saying, what it's not, Um, it's not like taking the Chromebooks away. You know, it's not that the kiddos are gonna need 'em, they're gonna need to be able to every day we use it, we use email. We do, fa uh, video conferences. We're using technology right now. Right. Um, we're gonna put this out on social media so we know that we need to use the devices. What healthy is, it's not the default. The default is the human interaction. So I'd be looking at a classroom at the elementary level, let's say you know, the kids are not on it more than 10% of the time in the primary grades. There's actually, in the superintendent speech, in chapter six, he gives this theoretical, like graduated, uh, digital model Where in kindergarten, first grade, second grade. Kids aren't on, but like 10, 20% of the time, by the time you get to high school, maybe 40% of the time, but it's all always less than the contact. They're having human to they can get the screens at home. They shouldn't, but they can. What they can't get at home, at, at home is the the interaction with 29 classmates. Right, They can't get that. So that's a part that I think would be a a key piece in the balance,
Gene Tavernetti: you know, and, and many times, uh, as administrators we're afraid to make these changes. What's gonna happen if we do it? You know, when the kids, when we have convinced a teacher to try a lesson without screens, it's almost like a sigh of relief. The kids are so happy not to be on the Chromebook all period. Or a big part of, a big part of the period. They miss it. They miss it. And, And, that's that transformational things that we're talking about. And, and we learn from other people and we need to have that, to have that contact. We are, um, uh, we're stealing that. we just have to have some, some courage to try things.
Frank: I was in a in a math classroom, an alternative education site. Um, kids are used to just being on the right? That's, that's the nature of an alternative ed site a lot of the And we convinced the teacher to try out a math lesson just six kids in the class. And they, you know, she taught the lesson. She had a, a hook that connected to real life learning. She had an objective, she taught the big idea. I think it was like computing simple Yeah, that's what it was. And it was, the hook was like, if you have money in the bank, uh, what do you have 2% interest or 4% Uh, and then she modeled and the kids did guided practice using the whiteboards from 2005 or prior to, and at the end of the lesson, we're gonna sit down and debrief the lesson. And the student, had walked out and walked back in and she said, miss, can we do that again tomorrow? Yeah. The teacher said, The teacher said, uh, did you enjoy that? And she's like, yeah, I like learning. You know, So I think that there's, that, that's a huge aha, but we gotta convince the teacher to go back and do it again tomorrow because it's so easy to not, right? yeah, that, that, uh, that was like a really telling moment for me, both for what Gene was saying and for how hard it is to break those habits that have become ingrained in the last three, 10 years.
Bart: What questions should leaders be asking before adopting new tech, especially ai?
Frank: Well, there's a whole chapter on it, and it's, um, it's called, uh, using the educational vision or instructional vision as a filter. Um, and that should be question number one is what's our purpose here? As in whatever school district, there's a fictional school district called Irving School District in the beginning, what is our purpose in the Irving School District? What is our mission, our vision? that should be the first filter. Does it fit the vision or not? If in our vision we say we want kids who can collaborate, kids who can communicate well, who can sustain focus, who can read deeply? Is this program doing that? Let's say that it is doing all those Then the next question is, okay, what's it replacing? Right? So that's, it's always an opportunity. Cost question is you only have six hours in a day. How good must this program be Tola to take some of those six hours, right? Because I mean those, that's the most valuable resource that schools have is that time with the kiddos. And if you're gonna take some of that time away and turn it over a screen, boy it better meet your vision. It better meet your instructional program. Um, and then better be doing a better job of it. Um, one last quote. I know you wants to jump in on this one as well, but from the same Spanish teacher actually, she was talking about, when you're in a Spanish class, um, or any language class you practice, right? well now you can practice with a bot instead of practicing with a person. And what the teacher was talking about is just how, much more formulaic the practice is. Now, in the past, you know, you would, make eye to eye contact. You practice whatever the phrase is. You're learning, you, you giggle, you embarrass yourself a little bit, but you learn from that, right? You learn to deal with embarrassment. You learn how to. Put yourself out there a little bit. But when you. getting that feedback from a screen, it's only, it's only really assessing were you correct or Um, so I think back to your question of what should superintendent ask themselves? I think it's that it's like, what is being lost besides the time, besides does it fit into our vision? The, it's a, it's like, what are we losing by, by turning to this program instead of having that human
Gene Tavernetti: you know, and I, and I think the whole vision thing, there's probably people rolling their eyes, oh, we're gonna have another vision. But, but this is really an important, criteria to make those decisions because it's not like you're, you're, uh, a new text adoption that you have a year to do it, and you have all this time because these people are coming out with these apps, you know, one, one after another. So you have to have some sort of grounding to make these decisions, and you have to make them fairly quickly. Because you have teachers all that. They found this one, they found that one, and then the one that they gave up that platform, guess what? They just have a super improved version. And so if you aren't grounded in what we are all about, you know, instructionally, you're gonna just flounder every time, every time we have one of those issues. And when the decisions aren't made and they aren't clear to the teachers, they just think, oh, there's capricious. They, oh, they're anti-tech. They're, no, we have to, we have to have that vision. Does this match the vision? And it has to be expressed how this, this decision was made.
Frank: Yeah. Dr. Smith was in a, in a elementary school recently, Donna, just in a morning walk in two hours at an elementary school. They, she, she and the administrator that she was walking with came across 12 student facing apps that hadn't made their way through any sort of district filtering system. You know, these are apps that, that are, again, if student facing or are taking student time, but in some cases they even require like student personal information being entered into And, um, the administrators were shocked. But I think one, one truth that we've learned is, you know, going back to your fictional superintendent, uh, and you asked like, what would you advise a superintendent on is, maybe the very first thing would be, I want you to estimate how many minutes we're gonna see students are on screens. And almost always, it's an underestimate. Yeah. And I. think If you follow like at the secondary level, you know, kids go from period to period, follow a cohort of kids the whole then you'll get a real understanding about, oh man, it's true. They're getting this in period one, this in period two, this in period three. And some of the programs are good, but they should be supplementary, they should not be replacing, right. They, they, they should be augmenting, they should not be taking the place up. And in many places it's actually become the instruction
Gene Tavernetti: or a substitute for instruction more accurately, I think.
Bart: Makes sense. If we get this right, what could schools look like five years from now?
Frank: Well, that's what started this whole thing was I was asking people, you know, in positions like yourself, what does this look like in 2032? And in some of the responses that I got, uh, that we got were like, 2032, I wanna make it to next, next week, you know, because it was tough coming outta the pandemic, right? With the kiddos running for the hills like we were talking about, and the, The mental health concerns and teachers, uh, worried about get coming back as well. So it was really tough in that setting. 20 22, 23, 24. So we're asking that, but I think, uh, you know, chapter six and then the epilogue really talk about, um, what they should look like if What it should look like is standards based, intentional personal instruction in the classroom with durable skills being built, technology being used in an, in an augmenting manner. But outside of that, there's connections going on with, you know, local parks and rec in Nicholas Bloom, uh, Nicholas Carr's book, super Bloom, he talks about the decline in, in youth, Um. You know, sports league activities, scouting church activities, something like 800 hours a year for the average teenager in the last 10 years. Decline in terms of interacting with others. So it would be not just what's going on in the school, in our vision, in our hope, the school becomes a catalyst for a community wide and it might be asking a lot, especially like in really large districts and really big urban areas, but definitely you can be a hub. can be a hub where like, you know, restaurant nights in this community Thursday is no screens today.
Gene Tavernetti: Something else that I think is gonna be happening in, in the public schools is, um, uh, especially when we're asking schools to have an instructional vision there will be a lot of schools of choice. because that's one of the things that, that we have found out or that we're competing against, is all of these charter schools that pop up with an emphasis with, with something. And I, I, I think that, I think that's good that, that we have choice, but we have to be sure that it's, we're protecting the kids the way that, the way that Frank just, talked about, unless, you know, the, the, uh, you know, we've got these, these alpha schools, alpha School now, unless you just choose that for your kids, but we need to, you know, be really clear about who we are and, and who we are is the way Frank described it right now is not, a bad place to be in the marketplace. I think a lot of people would choose that, but like many, like many charters or, you know, they start out in a certain way and then they devolve. So I think we have to be very careful about, uh, about maintaining that, that instructional vision so that people have an expectation of, you know, you come to here in this school district, this is, this is what you're gonna get. And, you know, and it's okay. You know, if you want your kids to be on screens eight hours a day, you know, then it's, this place isn't, isn't for you. But, but I think, you know, because of, of how effective we know we can be with the, with the technology to augment quality instruction, I, I think, I think we can create some good product.
Frank: I think, um, the book is really augmented, um, by teacher interviews that we did. We probably did like three dozen teacher interviews, uh, k through college across the country, small districts, huge districts, uh, suburban districts, urban districts, rural districts. one of the things we noticed is that a lot of teachers talked about parents starting to push back On the amount of screen And in some. Districts where the te the teachers we interviewed for one particular subset of questions, we needed them to have been in the classroom teaching the same grade or close in a similar socioeconomic level, 20 14, 20 24. 'cause we were asking questions like comparing, comparing, you know, student, behaviors and such. and what we heard from them is that the same parents who in 2014 for their older kids were advocating, you know, more and more and more, you gotta catch up. We gotta catch up by 2024. We're saying for their younger kids, let's get them off too much screen time. Um, the same parents. And so I think that there's a groundswell and it isn't just the books, it isn't just digital delusions. It isn't just ours. It isn't just the articles in the, in education next and in in New York Times, I think that parents are seeing it. Um, we were doing some research just for promotional purposes. We found a Facebook group. that's like reduced my kids' screen time, something like that. 280,000 members of parent members in the us. I mean, That's a pretty big group. There's a, there's a groundswell for it. So I think that, um, like Jean said, if you want your child to have that, you're gonna definitely have the option if you want it to be on a screen for six, eight hours a parents didn't choose this. They didn't choose what we're seeing right now. And that's what we need to walk back, is that if they want that choice, they can have it. But this isn't what we should be doing in the mainstream public
Gene Tavernetti: And I, and I think the big a big takeaway is nobody made this choice. It just happened.
Bart: just happened. Yeah. I've really appreciated this conversation. In closing, I'd like to ask you what gives you hope?
Gene Tavernetti: you know, there is A reaction. Unfortunately, it's another pendulum swing, from all of these screens to no screen time. That's not, that's not sustainable, That's not reality. That is not where we're going. so I, I, I think the fact that there are 280,000, I think that there are people, you know, stepping, stepping forward. Uh, that gives me hope. what diminishes that, that hopefulness a little bit is that it's always an overreaction. you know, we, we can see that in, in many of the things that are going on, like in schools of choice right now, where in states where they could take their kids someplace else. The question is, what happens? What happens to the students that, that, have special needs? They don't worry about them, you know, but that's something that, again, this is going back to institutional memory. This isn't new. You know, we have these, these things in place because of who we were before and we need, and we needed to get better. So, what gives me hope? More people thinking about, um, you know, there's a better way to do education
Frank: I think Jean might be more hopeful than me, but, um, talking about the institutional memory, you know, there, if you go back, at least as far back as Madeline Hunter in the sixties and seventies, uh, the Effective Schools movement, uh, Ronald Edmonds, uh, Marzano the nineties and two thousands, the, and now his evaluation center, the 19 90, 90, schools, the the New Teacher Project Teach for America, which is how I started How I got into teaching. we, we know that there's an alternative path that is actually a very good, Path and, and, and we know how, what we should be doing in The question that Ronald Mond's, uh, the effect of schools movement task is how do we feel about the fact that we haven't so that's the hope. The hope is that we know what we've gotta do. My concern is, and this is part of our parent education series, ' cause we also do parent education, which is actually another piece of it that I think is something we do that nobody else we're also working with the parents, is that I'm not gonna name any. companies. I don't wanna get su we don't want, we don't want to get sued. But, you know, in, uh, in the prologue of the book where the superintendent is really pitching, we're gonna go after this money and we need to get a screen in front of every kid. He talks about, getting a particular type of laptop into every child's hand because the digital companies are being great social citizens. They're helping the kids get access to the screens. They're helping write the, the common core assessments, you know, smarter balance in the park. and later on we found out that some of those same companies were data mining those kids as young as four years old. So I, what gives me pause is that, that there's a villain on the other You know, it wasn't a conscious choice by schools to go down this path. It was this broader digital immersion, but there was a conscious choice. So folks who are data mining, four year olds, five year olds. They who were giving free email access, let's say. But then data mining what the kids were writing so that they can market to them a few years later. There definitely is a villain in this, And that's what gives me but hopefully this groundswell, you know, the senate hearings that we're seeing now, there's gonna be enough of a. not a not a revolt, but, but a pushback. And I do hope that to Jean's point that we just don't go so far the other way that then we then lose, you know, it just becomes that pendulum again.
Gene Tavernetti: I think just the of who we are in the United States, you can't tell me what to do. And then you have, uh, you know, I don't know how many school districts you worked in a, in a small school district For a while and they had a school board and they didn't want anybody telling them what to do. And so it, it, it's, it's difficult who we are, who we are is our strength and who we are is, uh, makes anything changing education difficult.
Bart: Yes. Well, thank you both so much.
Gene Tavernetti: Thank you.
Frank: Thank you Bur yeah.
Gene Tavernetti: yeah. If you're enjoying these podcasts, tell a friend. Also, please leave a 5 star rating on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen. You can follow me on BlueSky at gTabernetti, on Twitter, x at gTabernetti, and you can learn more about me and the work I do at my website, BlueSky. Tesscg. com, that's T E S S C G dot com, where you will also find information about ordering my books, Teach Fast, Focus Adaptable Structure Teaching, and Maximizing the Impact of Coaching Cycles.