Sam: Hello and welcome to The 10, 000 Things, my name is Sam Ellis.
Joe: I'm Joe Loh.
Ali: And I'm Ali Catramados.
Joe: Today on the show, FOMO and jomo. Uh, I was recently introduced to the concept of jomo, which is Joy of Missing Out fomo. Most people are familiar with fear of missing out. Mm. yeah, I've had a lot of experience with both in the last, particularly the last eight years, since giving up drugs and alcohol. Mm. but I, it's a pretty broad topic. Um, and I wanted to get you guys to jump in. Jomo, made sense to me instantly and I was like, Oh, I haven't lent into this enough. But like my experience, like say when the seasons come and go and it's like music festival season and big bands come to Melbourne and all the things that go on in summer, like we've just had.
Sam: Well, you saw the biggest band of all time. So twice. So don't.
Joe: Oh, Taylor Swift. But I, I experienced a lot of Jomo of like, oh, thank God. I'm not at that music festival.
Sam: Imagine if I gave two shits about any of that. Just imagine.
Joe: No, but I always did. I always had a lot of FOMO that I had to be at the cool thing. Oh, no, no. I used to care a lot.
Ali: Yeah. That was such a huge theme of my Like late teens, early twenties, like whether it was missing out on experiences, like, you know, sexual experiences, romantic experiences, then there was also, yeah, the, for a variety of reasons, not being able to travel when everyone was traveling. That was a huge one for me. Like, yeah, being able to go out and do stuff. And then when I had, cause I had my son quite young, then there was a bit of FOMO with that. Like, you know, in my early twenties, I was taking care of, you know, a little baby.
Sam: And so not being a nuclear family and yeah.
Ali: Yeah. So there was all sorts of. Yeah, like a lot of FOMO and, and it was sort of coincided too with like, Facebook and MySpace and all that and social media and people you were so aware now of all these people in your extended circle doing all these things, which we historically never really had unless you ran into them and you're out, you didn't know that they were the girl you went to school with was on a European extravaganza and all of a sudden you see all these photos and I saw. Okay. I had, there was quite a lot of that fear of missing out, but I would say very much since the pandemic, I have really lent into the joy of missing out. And I think, yeah, also coinciding with my little mentee bee and all that a few years ago, like actually recognizing that there are so many things that I take pleasure in that don't involve actually going out and doing stuff and just enjoying those moments and simultaneously, yeah, not wanting to be a part of things that I've historically seen and thought, Oh God, I'm missing out because over the years I have had the opportunity then to do this or that and then, you know, it's really actually not for me.
Sam: It's not like you've never done it. Yeah. And you have done some travel and.
Ali: Yeah.
Sam: But like. And had
Ali: those romantic experiences and things that I thought I'd. Yeah. So I. I don't feel like I'm missing out. I mean, yeah, if I had more money, I'd want to travel, but I think that's everybody, right?
Sam: earlier I was trying to think of an example that wasn't music festivals, cause that is like the, that was a huge, that is like the classic, in psychoanalysis, in LACAN or something, you'd call it like object A or whatever, like music festivals are like, well, in old fashioned Freud, it's like a fetish, you know, it's like when you ask someone what's something you've been afraid of missing out on, they're probably going to name music festivals. It's almost cultural programming at this point. Yeah. Like. If you're a certain age, that's the pinnacle of human experience right there.
Ali: Yeah, and you know what I realized? I don't really like music festivals. I don't want to stand all day. I want a seat. I want to, I don't want to be in the sun. Like there's a whole bunch of stuff.
Sam: They always got up my ass.
Ali: Yeah, like they, you know, and then gross.
Sam: Even as a youngster.
Ali: What's it called? The toilets, like the portaloos. Revolting! Like, there's so many things about a music festival that I'm like, ugh.
Sam: I kind of like the disgusting toilet experience. It was one of the few things about festivals that actually felt real to me. You're an idiot.
Ali: So, like, I've recently bought a ticket. To see what is a music festival for old people. But like, I haven't been to a festival in many, many, many years. And, but yeah, part of me is just because I weren't doing any sideshows and I really wanted to see Blondie. So that's why I bought the ticket for the festival. But if it was,
Joe: Yeah, she won't be past her prime.
Ali: But just,
Sam: but just, but just doing, but just doing the sideshow is. Actually, it's only the true fans there.
Ali: Yeah, and like, and I get a seat, which is like a huge thing for me.
Joe: But if you want to talk about social media, you won't get a more FOMO y experience than like, Here's me in my amazing outfit with all my best friends, and we're a special group. special group of people that all go to this festival together every year. And we took so many drugs and we understood the nature of reality and consciousness and the universe. And we all became one and you weren't there. Like that's every Instagram photo from a music festival.
Sam: I wasn't feeling it, but then towards the end of that, I'm like, okay, I am feeling it now. You're right.
Joe: So my journey with music festivals was. From peak experiences on acid at bushdoofs in my early 20s, or, you know, at, maybe at the big day out watching the Chemical Brothers or whatever, on MDMA or whatever, like there was all those peak experiences. By the end it was like, on the road, on the way to Meredith, dropping Valium, drinking so much, and like, drunk by the time I got to Meredith, and sedated, and then like, oh, take some speed, and then like, Fucking eating a burger before midnight and going to bed and really getting this reputation as the guy who went to bed early at the music festival. Why? Because I was an alcoholic and I was, I was taking drugs, but I was drinking so much that it was just counteracting the drugs. So once substance use for fun and peak experiences turned into substance use for just getting through life or dependence, then music festivals just became something that became between me and my drinking, really. Totally.
Sam: Cueing up for a can, it's just, it's a bummer. Oh yeah, yeah.
Joe: Like, you know, you can smoke a big joint and watch Midlake play Roscoe and it was, that was a bit of a peak experience, but they became fewer and far between, you know, and, and then getting sober, it's like, the last place I want to be is the Meredith Supernatural Amphitheatre. As a sober, clean and sober person. You
Sam: don't see me at the concert, baby. Those bright lights hurt my eyes. Cigarettes and alcohol get up my ass. I always lose you in the crowd.
Joe: All right. I wasn't there.
Sam: Come on. It was the second, the second album.
Ali: Yeah. But like now is like a 40 year old woman. The idea of listening to my favorite artist on the couch. I'd rather dance.
Sam: In ugly pants in the comfort of a lounge room in suburbia.
Ali: Yeah, with the cat on my lap.
Sam: Mm hmm.
Ali: Quan
Sam: had already worked it out when you wrote that lyric.
Ali: Yeah, like whether I, yeah, have a cocktail or I just have a cup of tea or whatever it is, I'm at home, I'm comfy. Peak experience right there. I, there's so much joy to be had in that. I Yeah, that's right.
Joe: That's Jomo
Ali: that was me yesterday I had a whole day and evening of jomo and it was fantastic
Sam: I agree that is jomo but Joe I'm gonna flip the script on you and blow your mind man, if Ali went that is jomo right there, but i'm gonna flip the script and blow your mind man. If Ali went out, she'd have missed out on what happened at home. It's all about how you look at it, man. So
Joe: this is going to be an episode where we explain how awesome it is that we're boring. Is that right?
Sam: No, it's about finding where the real entertainment is. That's the answer. You know, my wife helped me with this a lot because she has spent a lot of time at music festivals and, by and large, Because she works in the industry. Yes, and it's not fun anymore. Yeah. It's just work. Yeah. It is just another industry. And you start to recognize that experiences are being manufactured. It's a product, et cetera. And that's actually not a scandal. That's just business. It's how it's done. And after a while, first the illusion falls away and then. You know, there might be a little bit of a sense of disappointment or, oh man, it's manufactured and on the fifth time you hear the band say the same line in an interview and like, that's heartbreaking when you're 21, but when you're 45, it's like, well, yeah, what else are they going to say? You've got to do a lot of interviews. It's, you know, it just, there's that great old saying, like, um, you know, was it the young, the young person finds the injustice of the world outrageous and the middle aged person finds it scandalous and the old person finds it amusing. And yeah, an event that's like, it's just coming to terms with reality. And like, so.
Joe: Do you want to hear my impression of every, uh, interview with a band on Community Road Radio? I'd love that. It's really, it's really brief. Yeah. So tell us, how did the new album come about? Well, it was a really organic process. We just got in the studio and yeah, that's it. That's every single interview with a musician. It's like, don't get these people to talk. They're musicians. Just get in and play music, or play their music. Also, don't
Sam: ask them about their music. Ask them about other people's music. You will get a much more interesting answer.
Joe: It's like the football of the footballer They say, wow that was amazing out there, you had 40 possessions and you kicked 5 goals and you were easily the best player on the field and they always say, ah it was a team effort, all the boys chipped in today, a great effort by the boys and a team effort. You've got to say that. You've got to say it. You have to. Well, in Australia, you do. Yeah. In America, you can say, yeah, I'm the fucking greatest and I'm going to go to the new heights. Yeah. Thank God. Yeah. I'm going to go. There's no telling how good I can be. You know, exactly. That's the American way. But the Australian way is it's always, no matter how much better you are than everyone else. And I watch a lot of football. Some guys are just so much better than everyone else. Yeah. Always say there's no Michael Jordan of AFL. Cause then when they don't say that it is somehow worse. And it's the same with the band. If a band doesn't say it was an organic process and we just got in the studio and then the songs just came about. If they say, well, actually this one's about my family. friend from, uh, Malambimbi. I
Sam: really want them, I really want them to say, it was actually quite a contrived process that, you know, there wasn't, it wasn't very natural. cause to tell you the truth, like I've, I've spent, I've actually spent quite a few hours in recording studios and, you know, I've actually produced a fair amount of recorded music, which is, you know, it's not. Out there for the most part to find, so don't bother looking, but, there are times when it's organic, and then there are times when it is just a grind, it's just work, and you're just getting it done, and there's a process, and you're following it, and I, I like the honest interviews, they're more interesting, and, um, Yes, believe me, this does relate to the FOMO JOMO, like it's so much easier to accept what's not happening or what could be happening or what you think. Basically, if you're living in reality as much as possible, you're not troubled by these things as much. And then that gets so much easier the older you are. Um, and although as you do age, you start to worry about other things you might be missing out on such as time with your children or, you know, cause when you were having a bender at Splendour, you weren't doing something else. That might have actually been more nourishing for you. And the one time I went to Splendour, I felt the same way I felt today. When I finally went to Big Day Out, I'd, I'd clearly arrived too late, like, in terms of the age of the festivals, like, this thing is clearly past its prime, see through it almost immediately, and go, alright, well, let's do our best to extract, you know, something
Joe: here, but Do you mean as opposed to taking the same drugs in forest, or as opposed to taking the same drugs in your home with your friends. Yeah, exactly. And then the most, yeah, I had an interesting experience in Jomo recently where a guy I work with went to a dance music festival and my housemate actually. And it was going to be 43 degrees each day for five days. And they still went. Yeah. And I was like, like, I don't take drugs anymore, but I was like, That's crazy. Yeah.
Ali: I could not think of anything worse. It's my personal hell.
Sam: Don't do it. Like, you see Burning Man, , trudging on foot out of there?
Joe: The best. Yeah. But like, you've already got your drug stash, right? You've already organized that. It's going to be 43 degrees. You've got air conditioning, get your drugs, get your friends, sit in the air, put on some fucking Citrans. If you want, hire a little strobe and a little fucking smoke machine and you'll have a much better five days, you know, and you can Uber Eats and you can, you know, or go to the Plenty
Sam: Gorge or the Botanical Gardens
Joe: or something. So, but like, so that would have been a, A FOMO turning into a JOMO, like those people could have JOMO'd that
Ali: just middle age though? Is it a little bit that just like you start to prioritize your comfort? Because the things we used to tolerate when we were younger was, I would say, yeah, we're far more flexible with those things. Whereas now, you know, you're like now, Now we have back problems, or you don't sleep right, and you want your own pillow, and you want the You talk a
Joe: big Jomo game, though. This is what I find as your friend, is you talk a big Jomo game. You're like, I'm fine, I'm just gonna be here with my cat, and be a cat lady, and I think last night you said to me, I can just listen to music. Nothing else, just listen to music for hours on end, and people think, what are you doing, Ali, and I'm just listening, I'm not even looking at my phone, I'm just listening to music, that's all I'm doing, and I'm like, yeah righto, and then you're out dating some fucking random who's treating you badly, and it's like, why did you stay in your couch? You had so much jomo, why did you ever leave your couch? I gotta shake it up occasionally. No, do shake it up, because you're not actually completely resolved to be a cat lady, right? No, no, it's just,
Ali: That's a little bit unfair, but I'll tell you
Joe: another FOMO is, we don't have to be everything all the time. Married guys have FOMO about dating apps because they've been married from before dating apps were around and they come up to me and I see this little look in their eye and they're like,
Ali: Oh, they want to see who you are.
Joe: What's it like?
Ali: What's it like? And I'm like,
Joe: It's a hellscape, you really haven't missed anything, like, it's so hard to find a genuine connection, and they're like, show me the photos, let me have a swipe, and then there's this
Sam: far off look in their eyes! Man, my heart goes out to those blokes, but I just Don't feel that way. Like I just, cause I'm just, you know, you've
Joe: never been on a dating app obviously.
Sam: Okay. Well recently my wife missed out on Taylor Swift, right? Not this last two or the one before. And no, I've never been on a dating app and neither has she. she's had a glance at a friend's dating app and came away very much with the impression of, okay, I think I'm good. And I don't think that speaks about me and her admiration for me. No, I think it's more just like, I think she is. As she said to me about the Taylor Swift concert, I said, are you alright about this? And she goes, absolutely. I can imagine how I'd feel. I know exactly how I'd feel, standing there. I don't need it. And I'm like, I believe you. I thought you were the
Joe: one with autism. Oh,
Sam: that's just between you and me.
Joe: I know exactly how I would feel. And now I am imagining that and feeling that here and I'm fine. And there's some other,
Sam: there's some other little clues. It's not entirely my fault that my kids are the way they are.
Joe: Anyway. Yeah. There was a lot of, I mean, I was working with younger women who I had my Taylor Swift tickets, but they. I had one woman's house, but this was a, I loved this as a FOMO, in your face FOMO. Yeah. Her housemate had got tickets to three nights in a row at Melbourne and wouldn't give her one of them. She just went on her own three nights in a row. And this person was a massive swifty, she wouldn't give her one of the tickets. So she had a bit of
Sam: FOMO, sitting at home, not going. I could really, my heart goes out to those people, honestly. You know, well, like when, when I went to see Alanis Morissette and that was actually a peak experience and that
Ali: was so much fun to
Sam: this day, it's going to be hard to top it. It really will be. And it was so much fun. It was such a good
Ali: concert. I was 13. I'd got the tickets for my 13th birthday and I had my Doc Martin boots and just, it was just such a. It was a very profound experience for me as a young person seeing her. It was, it was, it was really cool. Mm-Hmm,
Sam: It was for me too. And I was a jaded 19-year-old at the time. 18 maybe. And I was like, no, these rules. Mm. I was there with about four, yeah, about four or five girls and me and I think, was there another dude? I can't remember. I don't think so. And like ostensibly, I was there as like a, to keep an eye on them, on behalf of. you know, a couple of their mums and stuff and they were like, we, we don't want to go along. We don't want to like crowd the vibe and I'm like, okay. But I was a fan too. And like, I knew every word and I was like, this rules. And yeah. I just know that not, I can't, I'm not gonna be able to go to the tennis center and anything's ever gonna hit the same way again. So why worry about it? Like,
Joe: yeah. Yeah. I mean that's, I guess that's why, see, I have another friend who goes to gigs all the time and, you know, I got sober a certain way using the 12 steps and whatever, and then he just a few years later just stopped drinking. Without the process.
Sam: No, you've been doing it internally.
Joe: Who knows, but like I
Sam: guarantee
Joe: it. I've been around sobriety long enough to know that some people just stop drinking and they don't need any spiritual assistance. What I'm saying is there's always a process happening
Sam: inside.
Joe: Well, yeah, I mean, this guy has gone on, like, obsessive exercising. He's in the gym at 5am every single day. Okay. Whatever. There's your answer. But he also goes to gigs. He was always someone I went to some gigs with. I went to a lot of gigs with. And he has no issue with shows like gigs. He still goes to gigs all the time, right? And doesn't
Sam: drink. I would see people all the time at those things. Because as a bartender, I saw hundreds of shows and there were so many people there who were not ordering anything from me. I get it. But for
Joe: me So the, the great, times that aren't Jomo or FOMO, the great times I've gone out and had a dance all night or whatever, so sobriety, I could count on one hand in sobriety, but they were great times. But when I go and stand in a Melbourne pub and don't drink a beer and the band plays their whatever, prog rock or whatever it is, and they're standing there with the guitars and I'm standing there not dancing. To me, it's incredibly boring and I'd rather just be at home. Whereas when I'd used to have three or four beers and get, I'd be feeling the music and maybe be leaning into someone or. In Melbourne, people always stand around, ignore the music, and talk really loudly to each other. It's true. so, but, so that, ignoring the music, being rude, talking loudly to your friend about what happened at work this week is a drunken thing to do. And do you know what? As a sober person, you're like, oh, I wouldn't do that. That's odd. Yeah, it is odd. There's a band playing. So, it's interesting, like, I've had It's a stupid thing to do.
Ali: Lots of, yeah, I spent all of my money on gigs and concerts and stuff when I was young, and, and it, you know, like, it was always a huge priority for me. Yeah. The difference in the appreciation I've had, yeah, being sober at a concert and sitting down and appreciating it for that, for what it was. Actually being present. Present. And that was incredible. But then I can't, yeah, on the same hand, one of the most fun concerts I've ever been to was the White Stripes at Festival Hall when I was like 19
Sam: or 20. And did you get
Ali: wasted? Oh, I was completely wasted. Very, I was off my face on everything. I got into a fight, I got kicked in the face. It was the most fun I think I've ever
Sam: had. Sometimes you need a kick in the face. It was, and I got a boot to the
Ali: face. Like it was just the most, like it was so hot and so that the condensation from everyone's sweat was coming off the roof. I was so, it was so like, there's no way we'd do that now. I think, couldn't think of anything worse. But at the time. It was like the best night of my life. It was so much fun, so much fun.
Joe: I've been sober long enough now that I don't know how sad it would be if I went to something and was off my head on drugs. Would I be like an older, weird guy? Well, that's the other thing. Like, you know, like, I, but, but yeah, I mean, I could see it. Boring, but I can sit here all day and list amazing experiences on different substances, with different bands or at different festivals, and I have zero regrets about any of it. But my experience is, without the substances, I just would rather be at home. And that's where the Jomo, which I only found out about a few weeks ago, because the ultimate Jomo for me is watching Tess Cricket. And I I worked out through a process of elimination that if the whole world would just fuck off and leave me alone to watch Tess cricket, that's about the happiest I can be, which is solitary in my house, on a hot summer's day usually. Just really chewed into this. So how is that any
Ali: different from me, like, sitting at home, yeah, with the cat and then listening to music? It's the same thing.
Joe: Yeah. Yeah, and it's the same in, as well, in the way that I say I won't compromise on that to have a girlfriend. If they say to me, Well, you might want to watch Test Cricket, but we're going to fucking Port Ferry this weekend for a quaint Airbnb, I'm like, well, I'm fucking not going, I'll be watching the cricket. Obviously,
Sam: the right partner for you will either be like, awesome, this guy likes Test Cricket. That means I get time to myself. And that also there's a certain character assessment there. This person has an eye for detail and subtlety and you know, hasn't, can sustain an attention on something. Like these are actually, these are good qualities and there's a lot of I've met some very fine people that prefer Ted's Cricket to any other kind. And I say it does actually speaks highly of character, I think. And so there's that or the right partner for you at first doesn't get it. And then it's quite happy to see that I'm still in some
Joe: paradigm where If it was Meredith Music Festival and Test Cricket on the same weekend, for some reason Would you feel a conflict over it? There's this perceived pressure, which is an AFL footy term, perceived pressure that I should go and do the Meredith Music Festival, and very clearly, very clearly, I will always rather watch Test Cricket in my lounge room. So, I don't know when I crossed that threshold, maybe a long time ago, but it's interesting that we're all talking about music events, And it's, is there a perceived pressure that somehow as Melbourne people or whatever, we should be seeing bands, and actually we're just sitting in our fucking houses. And, you know, music venues are atrophying and all that stuff. I mean, with you, Sam, you're the biggest homebody, almost, almost bigger homebody than Ali. Do you experience Jomo when you're at home going, Oh, this is nice compared to, or do you forget about what it's compared to altogether? Do you, do you feel any pressure to be out and about?
Sam: Well, that's the absolute trick is to forget about whatever else and just be wherever you are. Now, this doesn't mean I don't misuse my time and have moments of regret. I tell you the stuff I really like, okay, so I'll start, I'll honor the Jomo part first. So cause I actually, I really am all about it. When there was mud at Splendour last year, I hate to admit it. I'm only human. I'm just like sucked in,
Ali: sucked
Sam: in, like brilliant. And it reminded me that it had rained a bit the year I was there. And I was like, that was getting up my ass. Now imagine. So, way more rain, the 20 years older. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. This is apocalyptically shitty. And I'm so glad I'm not there. And then Burning Man was a complete fiasco as well. And the Fyre Festival. So, I'm just There's about a 10 year period where I really got the message and look, cause my wife had said it to me. She goes, whatever you think it is, it's not that. And like she's, she was so right. And this is when we'd first met and I think I was still like sort of like 29 and I was, I kind of somehow had gotten the idea. I have not misspent my twenties enough, you know, and she's like, bro, you've fucking misspent them. Don't worry. And like, you've done it. Whatever it is you think it is. It ain't that. Move on. she could see in me, there were all these other curiosities and ambitions and she was like, fuck all this, whatever you think that is, there's things in you that you want to do, do those. So now the thing that gives me FOMO is if I'm not chasing after the shit that I really find interesting, which is nearly always at home stuff. Yes. Tho there is that just stuff or I can go to the library to do it. Is that looking stuff up online that Yeah. Yeah. Making things sitting here at the piano. Mm oh, right. Yeah. That's cool. Making things. That's what I fear missing out on. Yeah.
Ali: That's like I was saying to Joe last night, the thing I really resent is that I don't have enough time to do the things I actually wanna do or take joy in. I could easily fill my days.
Sam: Yeah.
Ali: With all the things I wanna do, not what I'm
Sam: missing out on getting Yeah. What I'm missing out on doing for myself. Exactly. Yeah. So,
Ali: and I, I begrudge that I have to work and not do the things I wanna do, which is everybody, but me too. Yeah. But , like I could, yeah. I would make sure Joe loves working by the way. I, I would be so happy to spend my time. Yeah. Like cooking things or making things, or playing the piano or having the time to do all of those things. Like, whereas it's all just obviously Yeah. Condensed to weekends or like a couple hours in the evening when you're exhausted and so, yeah. I, it's, that's the fear I, the missing out on those things and those are, yeah, quite often solitary things. It's not like going out or going on dates or anything like that. Like it's, it's actually spending time in the garden. Like that's what I fear. There's
Joe: nothing blocking you from those things. There's
Ali: a couple of things, but, but yeah, there is, but some of those things just take an extraordinary amount of time. I can't imagine
Joe: having FOMO about something I can do in my house. Yes. FOMO to me is something amazing happening in the world that I'm not a part of.
Sam: No, no, no. Put it this way. If I'm away, let's say, I've had to stay at work because of a meeting or something. That's when I'm having FOMO because there's shit at home that I could be doing, like useful things or fun things or meaningful things. It's like three things basically, useful, fun or meaningful. And it's like, All three. Oh my God. And things that are useful, fun and meaningful. I hate to be a boring virtuous bastard about this, but very rarely can you buy it, whatever that is. And yes, it costs you something, your effort, your attention, your commitment. It costs you the opportunity to do something else. And this is the real key to like getting over FOMO is realizing the thing you're not missing out on. That's not the issue. It's your inability to commit to something that you're, it's not that. If you really wanted to go to that festival, you probably would have done it. You would have figured it out. If that was really what you were after, you wouldn't be sitting here worrying about it. You'd have made up your mind, well, next time I'm going to get it together and do that. The truth is, that's just a proxy. It's a stand in. It's a fetish. It's an object A. You've put, it's like, it's like you with romantic relationships. That's the thing. And people are going around doing this to themselves all the time. And so am I, right? And addicts especially do this. That's the thing. So turn, turn within
Joe: and there it is. I'll have FOMO about if I have a break from dating apps. It's interesting. Like I can shut down social media and just walk away. 12 hours off there. That's, that's three dates you could have had. Oh my God. Yeah. I'm okay. And then when I get so much missing out, say if I'm off the dating apps and then Ali starts telling me about dates she's got coming up, I'll feel a bit of FOMO. Stop triggering him. Yeah. But like, if other people are. Are having fun and it's like, that's when I get FOMO, because yeah. It's what you just said. It's what I've prior prioritised as having value. Yeah. So, I feel like I'm I, I have perceived pressure that I should have FOMO about not going to gigs of bands that I like. Yeah. But actually. I'll be often in those moments feeling Jomo at, well, I might be most, a lot of nights I'm doing stuff for my recovery, actually, and yeah, that's right, spanning my, spiritual life and whatever. And a lot of times that shows are on, I'm actually got my kids and I wouldn't have been able to be there. I'm starting at work four in the morning next day and I wouldn't have been able to be there. No. And I actually, the
Sam: only, one of the few times I've had FOMO recently was when you were like reading books and like keen and having a good time with it. And I'm like, that is something. Yeah. That's like, that's a thing that called to me a little bit. I don't
Joe: have, I need to find More Jomo, as in, I won't be getting up and going to work tomorrow because I don't have work at the moment. What you guys are talking about is, I want to play my piano and my keyboard and be creative. I don't have the equivalent of that. So when I get a surplus of my own time, it becomes unpleasant fairly quickly for me.
Ali: That's what I was saying to you. I very rarely get bored. I really don't get bored. I remembered this was a while ago, cause I've been
Joe: Do you, do you, do you want a fucking medal?
Ali: No, it's not, no, I'm just
Joe: We're going somewhere with this. No, I
Ali: was gonna say, like, I remember this really vividly, coming back, On the tram from work, just thinking, like coming back from work and thinking, I cannot wait to get home to the cat, be in my comfy clothes, have something to eat. Like it was just, I was so excited for that. It was such a simple thing.
Joe: That's the definition of Jomo. Now you're ringing my bell right? Yeah, like it was, I was,
Ali: it was just really, could not wait.
Joe: What you're missing out on is all the other possible things you could do that night. Yeah, like a dance club. Yeah, could be
Ali: having after work drinks on a Friday. All of those things that historically I would have been like, Oh, I haven't
Joe: listed very many things that we're missing out on, but it is what you would assume. It's like after work drinks,
Sam: after work drinks with the colleagues that has, that has got me a few times lately. It's not, It's not for the, it's just to talk shit with the colleagues. Yeah. It's like, okay, I haven't done that enough. Fair enough. That well, then that's just telling you don't have anything
Joe: other than you doing it. That's not Jomo or Thomo. Exactly. I only have to, that's you doing the expected thing, which is the social thing.
Sam: Well, exactly. But what I'm saying is if I felt the twinge, even for a second, that's just a signal from my subconscious going, okay, we'll go and do it. If it's important to you. Yeah. But like the, I remember the first time I got, you know, my wife said to me, why wouldn't, like years ago, when we first met, wouldn't, Why wouldn't you just want to be in your pyjamas right now? And I'm like, all right, fine. It's very ace this one. Okay. I shall try this. And so, you know, so like, oh, and have a shower first. And I'm like, makes sense. Okay. So I do that, get into the pyjamas and I'm like, and it's like, I don't know, six o'clock at night or whatever. And I'm like, this is pretty good. Actually, I have to admit, why haven't I been doing this for years now? And then, and then, So, a recent experience of being in the Dharmis and like, and going, imagine if I had to be anywhere right now, just imagine, imagine I'd even bought tickets to something I was really into. Like nowadays it's going to be a conference or something like that. I mean, it's going to be something, but imagine if I booked something I was really looking forward to and now I actually had to go and do it.
Ali: Yeah. No, like, like last night, it was a Saturday night and. Yeah. Like historically, like, why are you not out on a date? Why not go out with your friends? Why are you not doing something? Yeah. Like doing something. And I just was so happy to be at home. I had a really good night. It was just, and like, yeah, I did a lot of things. I watched a movie I wanted to watch. I played my piano. I talked to friends. I listened to music. Like I read, it was just. Yeah. You
Sam: weren't, you weren't scrolling Netflix looking for something. No, I wasn't just, yeah,
Ali: like I did also have time to look at TikTok too, and that was also fun. But was getting it all done. It was all just, yeah, like I said, I, I, I, I just wish I had more time to do all that. All the time.
Joe: So it is an episode about us becoming boring.
Ali: See,
Sam: now this is where I do the pivot on you and go, see, it's like, it's about the, it's like with the attachment stuff and like body acceptance and all of this, like it's about getting into the texture of the experience, like the reality of the thing itself. And see, cause what gets boring is the kind of those mediated experiences where like, Oh, I need to be, I need to be having fun right now. And the formula is this. Put together this, this and this, and now it's fun in inverted commas. Now, whether it's ASD or whether it's something else, that very rarely came together for me. Yeah,
Ali: like the imagined experience of what it's going to be like is, does, just often didn't match up to the reality. It's like, yeah, I, my feet hurt cause I've been standing at the music festival. Or yeah, I'm stuck in mud or you've, and you've had enough experiences to actually go, Oh, that's, that's not for me. Yeah. And that's okay. And yeah, being really okay with not making yourself uncomfortable and choosing your comfort. And similarly, like you're saying with the body stuff, like being in a, the answer that I thought to all my problems would be if I looked a certain way, and then I lost. The weight and then I did not answer all my problems and, but it created a whole bunch of other problems. And it was like the reality of what it was did not match up to this like fantasy of what I thought it was going to be like.
Sam: That's right. And, and, and, and so those play, the FOMO is always coming from a place of projection and projection. And the pleasure itself that you think you're missing out on was also an object of projection to begin with, even when you were enjoying it. And like, I know I'm getting a little bit too philosophical here, but you know what I'm getting at Joe? That like, Meredith isn't Meredith. I mean, I got close once, but I think I got spoiled also because my father took me to Port Ferry, , at quite a young age, , I saw this absolutely sublime music at like, eight, nine years old, lying down on like a little picnic rug, Maybe my head in dad's lap and we're like listening to this just heartbreakingly beautiful music Irish instrumental music that was like slow not jigs and reels like something really aching these melodies and just feeling these wonderful feelings and going like, oh man, this is so cool and Nothing's been out of get close again to that. It's almost like I Don't, the boring is going and doing something you think is going to be fun and projecting onto it. Like fun, the opposite of boring is tuning into the possibilities here in the present right now. Yeah. That's where it's at. Yeah.
Joe: I mean, but see everything. The path is, my path is my path because the peak drug experience has turned into the humdrum drug experience. Turned into the bad drug experience. Well, life has just
Sam: beat you over the head again and again with the pleasures that have become poisons. Yes.
Joe: You know, before I ever had kids, I was so sick of going to fucking house parties and sitting in a backyard around a fire and getting drunk and high. You were over it. I was over it. So I was like, Hey, I'm going to do this. How about you and me have a kid? Yeah, let's do it. And then life became fascinating again, because there's a little baby in the house and whatever, and then same with like music festivals, and long before I got clean and sober, I was over it. So there's no way to go back.
Sam: It's only burnt bridges that you can deal with, is what I've realised.
Joe: I could be trying to hang on, but I think it would be a bit pathetic at 44. I could have my, I could go back to drinking and have my favourite pub in Collingwood, and wear my tracksuits, and people would get to know me, and I'd be part of a scene, and sometimes Friday nights I'd pick up younger women, because I go out, the only times I go out is for dating, and I go out on dates, and from Friday nights, People come up to me and compliment me on my tracksuit and I was like oh wow I could be out here being a character and being part of a scene right yeah yeah but you're doing that right now but see what I actually do is dress up in my bright tracksuits at home yeah and go for a walk around my neighborhood in footscray and sometimes people stop me and compliment me but it's important to me you've got it already well I'm still trying to hang on to
Sam: Some other idea of what it was.
Joe: Being cool is still a huge value for me. And I find it's fine. And I think it's really important for me to be cool. Yeah. Great. But to do it just wherever I am, even if that's inside my house. Yeah. And
Sam: now you're preaching my gospel. Yes. Live where you live. Yeah. Be here now. And even
Joe: if it's the day that I don't leave the house, I still try and dress up in my nice track suit. And if I do go out incidentally or whatever, it's nice to feel like I'm there. This look that I've created, I'm sticking to it, but it's not, but the next step is to be like, well, now I'm going to be part of this scene and they're going to know me as, you know, this guy. And I forget about all that. I basically remain anonymous.
Ali: Let's
Joe: book a podcast festival. Yeah.
Sam: Let's go do a podcast festival.
Ali: Being, you know, being perceived as cool, still that FOMO part of that is the social currency that you get from, I was at that festival, I was at that concert, I saw them live. And so there's a little bit of that, Oh, that's really cool. Whereas like just saying you spent your Saturday night at home with the cat, like, is that like,
Sam: no, that's going to get points for me.
Ali: Yeah. I'm going to get, you know, shit hung on me by Joe. Right. Whereas a very long time ago. I realized I no longer care if people think I'm cool or not, because I'm absolutely not. And I just do not care if other people think I'm not cool. That's just been a, yeah, that's been a relief. And so that's why it's liberating. And so then ironically
Joe: you started doing this podcast and people write into us all the time and they're like fans of yours. You started getting a fan base long after you stopped caring about. Yes. Being cool. Yeah. Which is a sweet irony, I think.
Sam: The essence of cool is, like I realised this a long time ago, but like looking at others before I realised it, that it was true for me too. The coolest thing, why did Hendrix or Dylan look so cool doing what they were doing? You know, and we can talk about the accessories and some of the fashion choices and all of that, definitely there's part of it, but it's, Imagine Hendrix just like dressed much more ordinarily and the hair's not anything and like he would still rip yeah like the the vibe would still be intense yeah or
Ali: maybe even those choices of those things were things he took joy from and pleasure from and just lent into that and that then started And people could then see that and that's what became cool. And that's similarly like with the tracksuits and stuff, because it is a bold choice. It's
Joe: doing it and doing it well. Exactly. Yeah, but the next phase I think that's even cooler is to become more anonymous. So at the moment I've destroyed, I've destroyed, deleted my Facebook and Instagram accounts. Yeah. And there's really nowhere to post a picture of myself in a cool tracksuit, right? So it becomes more anonymous. But Friday night, I was out on High Street. And someone came up and said they really love my track suit and that's the only time Unless I go back on social media that I'll get that feedback. But that means more anyway, doesn't it? Well, my teenage daughter and all her friends think my tracksuits are cool. How cool is that? Fourteen year olds think you're cool. And they think it's cool that I have a podcast and I'm like a cooler dad. Man, you are Shaquille O'Neal
Sam: right now.
Joe: But when I try and interact with. With the other parents from my kids schools, I have like a meltdown, I can't interact with them. It's a minefield. I'm like, why are we talking like this? Why are we pretending that we're normal? And I can't do it. So I just Do you know what's
Sam: fun though? I'd
Joe: rather be cool to the 14 year old kids than get along with their fucking parents. Yeah, yeah, no, I
Sam: know, and I know you don't mean that in a bad way, but I'm sure they're
Joe: great people, but I've realized I'm going to get through both of their schooling without knowing any of the other parents. I cannot
Sam: Can I recommend though, there'll always be one or two in the parent group, so you've got to imagine.
Joe: I know, I don't mean, like, I'm sure there are great parents, but in the context of, like, I, man, like. Just
Sam: do the thing that I do which is wrong so often, but so right so often, which is Everyone else, okay, not everyone, but a lot of other people are feeling the exact same way as me right now. Now, of course, I've been so wrong about that so many times, turns out I was the only person thinking and feeling it. Oh, okay. But on, I guarantee you amongst the parents, there's at least one or two people that you would genuinely connect with and that you could be real around. And how do you find out? We see you gave us a clue on that. To this, in the last episode, you know, you do little tests on the text. How far can I go with this? You know, it's like, yeah, me too, a short of, you know, I'm not going to take a shit in the middle of the function and then see who still talks to me the next day. But I might push it just a little here and there and see, you can just like,
Ali: how honest am I going to be about how my day's going? And you can just. That is the biggest test, and you're like, you can do that. It's a fun game. I get along
Joe: great with people at work, but it's compulsory. There's nowhere else to go. I'm there 14 hours a day in my job. Okay, and so
Sam: there's a clue there. Commitment is the key. It's not
Joe: compulsory to be friends with your fucking No, because you see people School kids, other parents or whatever. You see
Sam: people opt out of that at work all the time too. Which is truly missing out on one of life's great joys, which is shooting the shit. With other peons on the company dime. Yeah. That is one of life's great toys. Yeah. And being in the is your
Ali: collective, you know, collective experience, experience of trauma , correct? That's what it is. Yeah. Being in the
Sam: trenches with the other, yeah, with the other peons.
' Joe: cause there's a solidarity there. I'm, I'm fine with that. I see them as it's the best, yeah. One's optional, one's compulsory. And once it's compulsory, I'll make the best of it. But if it's optional, I can opt the fuck out. So the clue is, yeah, not be friendly to the other parents. That's,
Sam: no, that's fair. I think that's a common response. Yeah. But I have, I guess a different experience because for me it is compulsory, I guess, You know, I don't want to get into why, but particularly it's just boring, but like, I do feel the need not to keep up appearances, but to maintain some stocks and it's
Ali: for the benefit of kids and this and social things and making sure they're, you know, included or that you're across stuff at school. Like there isn't, there's an element of that.
Sam: And to tell you the truth. Okay. So here's a little one. Um, I was feeling some FOMO about not doing enough music. So, did you always want to be a rock star? If you could be anything? Oh, absolutely. And I thought if I couldn't be that, that it would be like some writer or something. But,
Joe: so that's a deep FOMO then. That's an existential, like my whole life's purpose was to be a rock star. And now I'm missing out.
Sam: Yeah. Long since let go of it though. Like when, but when I was 23, it was closer to like a Bowie thing maybe, but Like, it moved on from Dylan, Young, Hendrix, and then my culture heroes have changed a great deal over the years.
Joe: Did you ever get close to being a rockstar?
Sam: Oh no, I was on occasion. Right. Like, I embodied it. Just, it wasn't thousands of people, it was only a hundred or two hundred and occasionally I absolutely crushed it in a very small room with 30 or 40 or 50. No one walked out of there thinking that was not the gig to be at. So I can genuinely say I'd got my mic drop moments and everyone was in the palm of the hand. I got off once and There were these two people who'd been particularly into it, but no one wasn't into it. And they said to me, what are you doing? I'm like, oh, my time's up. And they're like. Your time's up when you say it is. And I'm like, holy shit, you're absolutely right. And I just got right back up there and carried on. And they were like, bro, we're in, we're in the palm of your hand. Like, don't let go now. And I'm like, all right, all right. And, and I had nothing else prepared. So I had to dig deep. And to
Joe: me, that's what life, that's the best, that's the best of life. It is. The flow state. Exactly. That's the peak state, the flow state, and it's neither Jomo nor Fomo, it's better than both. It's completely beyond it. But if we can't have that, and 99 percent of the time, we're not going to have that, then let's try and have You're lucky
Ali: if you get a few moments in your lifetime of that, I reckon, it's really just moments. It's true.
Sam: Yeah. You can't be too, you can't be too greedy about it, and, and, but also you do, don't, don't be caught napping when inspiration strikes, be ready
Joe: yeah. And that's, yeah. Maybe that's what we need to watch out for at our age is just completely sinking into Jomo and not going for any of those peak experiences.
Ali: Well, so that's, well, so that's why, you know, you're like, oh, you still go out on dates or things like that. There is a, that is me consciously not being complacent and just being complacent and just Becoming a shut in can be my default. It's so easy to just to isolate and be by myself. And I'm quite content doing that. And so there is a conscious effort of like, no, I've got to continue to, yeah, meet people and do things and, and. Yeah. And, and, and continue, but that's not just in a dating context, but also, yeah, continue to invest in my friendships and things like, and the things that I'm interested in that are not just done in isolation. So that's very much about building those things into my life in a sustainable way. And like, and that's, it's the thing, like. The balance was tipped so far in the other direction when I was young that, cause I was so unaware of my needs.
Sam: Oh, nothing you were doing was sustainable. Yeah.
Ali: Like I was so unaware of what I needed and downtime and things like, just as an introverted person. And you know, I'd be out like five, six nights a week easily. Yeah. And just
Sam: spending energy. Yeah. Like currency you didn't have. Yeah,
Ali: exactly. And then wondering why I'd end up like in a very bad way, whereas now it's sort of so much. Yeah. Yeah, like I know I've got like one date in me a week and maybe a social activity and the rest of the time I actually, I need recharging time. And like last night was recharging time and I needed that because I didn't get that last weekend cause I was away. So yeah, it's about, if you did
Sam: more than one date, you'd be missing out on other things that are more important than that extra date.
Ali: Yeah, exactly. Yeah. So yeah, it's sort of finding the balance that's right for you and your needs. So that you can, so yeah, you don't feel like you are missing out on other things and you are also enjoying the thing. Yeah. The things that you, you want and prioritize.
Sam: Yeah. That's, that's exactly right. And then, so the key is that what you said, what you want and what you prioritize, that's the whole entire problem right there. It's like, well, I said this in the, on the last step, like I didn't know what I wanted. I didn't know what was important to me. I didn't. because you raised existentialism we didn't get to talk about it properly but that's been lurking underneath the surface of this whole topic right here and the reason it came up with attachment was well existentialism crosses over with it in that area of who are we right are we the person in the world That we are projecting ourselves to be out into the world or are we the person that other people think we are? And this is a problem that becomes particularly acute in relationships because you can't maintain the illusion of, so when you walk down the street, you can tell whatever story you want and people can pick that story up and affirm it to you or they can not affirm it, but they're going to keep that to themselves. You're not troubled by it. When you're in a relationship, you go to project. And this, and then your girlfriend doesn't pick up the projection that you're trying to put out there. It's like crushing, but you know, and
Joe: It's the same if you post a photo on Instagram, you're either going to get likes, no likes or comments. And the comments are never going to be, you look like shit. Yeah, yeah, that's true, but that's a complete, if you, yeah, that's not a way to perceive what people really think of you. No, it could be a hundred people looked at that photo and thought, what a wanker. And that's why you value
Sam: the true friends. You can tell you don't say anything. That's exactly right. So do you want a hundred bootlickers or one real friend? Like, it's such an easy question. Well, a
Joe: Facebook. On high street once a month is telling me I look good in my tracksuit. Well, that's, that person's not a bootlicker. No, that's right. They haven't signed up to follow me on Instagram. They've got no, I'm not begging for them to tell me they like my fucking. Hair man, it's yours. Take it. Getting a compliment from
Ali: a woman. Like out in a, like in a bar on my outfit or my makeup or how I'm looking is the ultimate. Like I had someone scream out to me when I was wearing a leopard print coat last year, like on the road, like actually like, like yelled out to me to slow me down and like, Oh my God, I love your coat. I'm like, I fucking love this coat. I want to be buried in this coat. But, and we had a chat and yeah, like, it's just those compliments are just, Oh, they're the best. Usually a
Sam: woman is not trying to sleep with you. Now, if they were trying to sleep with you, would the compliment land in the same way?
Ali: Yes. Oh,
Sam: wow. Okay. Yeah. Good to know. Oh, well, I think
Joe: we should wrap
Sam: it up guys. Oh, I just wanted to chase down the existentialism just a tiny bit, which is like the, it's the getting more comfortable with the responsibility of creating your own meaning basically. And it is a heavy responsibility and having all that choice and , what do I want? What will I prioritize? Massive burdens. And in, like, rather than like actually address those questions seriously, on a note, I'll just reach for a proxy that the culture has offered me, which is going to a music festival as is expected yeah, no, no, fuck that. What do you, what do you want? And it's actually the hardest question to answer. And, and, you know, Whether it's a really good friendship or the, you know, a good intimate partnership, it forces you constantly to confront your illusions and turn towards what do you really want.
Joe: It's like, if, if you've got clothes that you like wearing that you feel good in, don't just wear them when you go on a date, wear them when you're at home watching the footy. And that's what I do. And it's dopamine dressing. Like it works.
Ali: It's wearing your perfume every day, not just when you're saving it. Yeah. And be
Joe: seen a little, and be perceived just a little bit. Um, it's, it's enticing. Whereas when I'm in just daggy fucking, you know, middle aged dad clothes, I feel the opposite. I'm like, I don't want to leave the house. I don't want to get off the couch. Like, I'll go back to that existential stuff. The moment I leave here, I'll be like, okay, I was just hanging out with Sam and Ali, we've got a podcast in the can. Yeah. They, you know, they got their kids, they go, I don't have my kids for a week, ah, right, ah, so where do I go now, and, and, and what do I do, you know? Yeah, yeah, yeah. And it's just a con until the day I die, it will be a not clear thing for me of what to fucking do with myself.
Sam: I understand, I understand that feeling that it'll never be clear to you, because I certainly do feel that way sometimes now, but I, but I will say it's, Yeah, but you, guys like
Joe: you, kill for that moment. Oh, for sure. Because you've got little kids, and you just don't get many of those.
Sam: Time's at a premium, so you don't waste it. No, I understand that. Whereas, yeah. But believe me, there's times when I'm like, Maybe I would be better off, not being married, or maybe I would be better off, like, having more time to myself, you know, so, that's part of the FOMO I've had to deal with, of like, oh, life would be better if I had less responsibilities, and like,
Joe: A lot of my loves have kind of fallen away, so where Ali says that she has no problem filling up her time, My love for cinema, I could leave here and go to the local cinema and watch a movie. You're just not the Scorsese tragic you used to be. But I've lost the habit and I'm constantly disappointed by what's in the cinema. Move on, move on. I don't go, I could go tonight and watch a band and No, you're, no, move on. But like, I'm free. I have that much freedom that I'm free to do those things. You're not beholden to any of that. But the joy, if you want to talk about joy, the joy just, I just, I
Sam: can't find it there. No, no, no. I'll tell you where it is. What do you take screenshots of, right? And send to, Ali and me. Things from books. And so, and like, I said this to you when, when you got here before Ali and, and I was like, man, here's a free podcast idea that would absolutely do good, great numbers. And I bet you it would take those screenshots. It's a, it's a five to 10 minute format. It has to be short. I think you can do longer ones now and then you're going to take one of those screenshots. You're going to read it out and you're just going to go straight into the read. Right? You're not going to waste time introducing anything. And then you're going to say what you think about it, and maybe you'll offer a biographical note, or say a tiny bit more about what book it came from, etc. But it's really just about the reflection and You could offer that as a weekly or a daily and it would crush and you would get so much fun out of doing it.
Ali: And it's having a project. I was talking to somebody about this a little while ago in that having a project with very tangible sort of results that you can see and progress and have that as an ongoing thing in your life is actually so rewarding. Super value projects,
Sam: not pleasures. That's what I think about. And I, I
Ali: realized I didn't have, I needed another, I needed a project because of all the gardening and stuff that I just wasn't doing because of my back and all that. So. Like it's a bit, I, I need to find a new project that will fit into my life as it is at the moment. Sustainable, viable, yeah, and like, so for this person it was building, a Lego Millennium, Millennium Falcon, like, and I was like, that's a very cool little project to do every night, and where, and so, Yeah, I, for me, it was, I've ordered a recipe book and bought a recipe book and I'm going to methodically cook my way through every recipe. But it's, it's then having something to, yeah. And so whether you're doing a podcast and reviewing the little bits of, that you find interesting, it's like a project that you can have as an ongoing thing. It's a process.
Sam: when you find yourself going, what's a pleasure that I can go and get myself right now? The addicts mentality. Oh, but I do
Joe: have
Sam: like
Joe: replace
Sam: pleasure
Joe: with project.
Sam: Yeah.
Joe: Yeah. I kind of didn't want to talk about it because who knows how long it lasts, but I am trying a diet at the moment. And so what I'll do is leave here. I know what I'm going to do. We're gonna leave here and follow you. We're gonna go buy a bunch of fucking celery because that's the only thing I can eat on this diet. I'm gonna eat some sticks of celery and I'm gonna start doing laps around Princes Park. But then the existential thoughts will come in because I'm walking on my own and so that kind of like, Oh, listen to a podcast. Who am I? What am I doing here? Stuff is always just beneath the surface. But then actually the other part, the books I'm borrowing, which are spiritual texts that you've lent me, that's where I find my things that aren't FOMO or JOMO. It's my 12 step spiritual practice, which as we know, I'm restricted from what I can talk about on this show. But I'll probably go to a meeting tonight. I'll have spiritual texts I can read. It's not stuff that I particularly, like someone like Ali, I don't expect her to understand necessarily what I'm getting from that. Um, a lot of my friends won't understand that. Sam, I think you would more so. I dig it. But it's a very personal. I'll be your first listener. It's, and all those screenshots you talked about, uh, I Uh, from spiritual texts, 80 percent of them, so it's like getting an autodidact spiritual education that aligns with the spiritual experiences that I'm having. That's maybe the rest of my life in terms of things that aren't FOMO or JOMO, things that are the essence of what I want to be doing with my time.
Sam: Yes, life affirming, purposeful. And this is the stuff.
Joe: But it's not my style in a lot of ways because it's quiet. It's content. It's the contemplative life. No, no, no, but he's the life of a con
Sam: what's that word? Contemplative. Yeah. Contemplative. It's that life actually. Oh, sorry. It's so obvious to me though. You'll make it yours. You'll do it your way. There's so many pods out there. There's so many people out there doing a similar thing, like blogging with a little quote and then reflecting on it. Like, or. Maybe they're doing it on camera or maybe they're doing it on audio or maybe they're doing it in person or they're writing books of their own. But the thing that would be you, you would bring your own personality, your own reflection to this. You've got every right to do it, but also no one else can do it the way you're going to do it. So in a way, All this work you've put in, benefit yourself and rescue yourself from misery and torture, in a way you've got just a small, small d duty to pass that on and help others along the way because that's what, that's, that's what got me out of a pit was listening to other people putting it together. I like doing it here with you guys. But I think a solo, little solo mission and you do it with so much entertaining, you do it big. Do it big. You don't have to be the quiet. You don't have to be like, Mr. Chill, serene yogi. You can do it your way.
Joe: It's think that there's a way that what's going to give my life meaning is actually it's anonymous. It's anonymous. It's quiet. It's anonymous. It's Yeah, it's my spiritual life and it's actually not a loud broadcasted thing necessarily. Sure. But
Sam: each, each one teach one. And as you learn, so you teach. Well, I'll have my kids and other people in addiction and
Ali: those interpersonal sort of experiences where, yeah, where you, you are sharing your wisdom and, or providing advice or those, those give my life so much meaning. And I have really. Yeah, I have really a close, very small, but close network of friends that I feel like I'm able to give that. And it's, it's reciprocated. It's obviously, but those, I think, like you said, it's an anonymous thing. It's not going to be something that's ever anybody else would, but it doesn't make it any less
Joe: meaningful. But this isn't anonymous. This is us three. We're honing your skills. The reason you joined the show is because you're so good. at engaging with ideas and having some wisdom, right? So now you're putting it out there to the entire world that, that, that little gift that you had between you and a few friends of being a good person to go to if you had a breakup or being a good person to go to if something's happened with your kids and you're not sure what to do about it. Now you are sharing that gift with the, there's no limit on who can listen to it. There's a limit on who's listening to it, but there is actually no limit on who could. Find and access this information once we put it out there, right? But I
Ali: don't find it any, like, yet. What I'm saying is that
Joe: maybe I can be loud tracksuit guy on the exterior, but the real meaning, the stuff that really is going to fill up my cup, it might be a lot quieter and more contemplative. I can't say that word. Contemplative. Contemplative, yeah. So it's just, look, it's all, it's all unknown. And like, whether you, Sam, find a quieter way to be a rock star or start playing a bit of music. Again and getting out there and I've
Sam: joined the parents band.
Joe: Oh, there's a parents band? Mm. Yeah. Nice. So like that It's been, yeah, look, it's actually fine. I think we should wrap it up. But it's been an interesting chat 'cause it's made me think about. I think Jomo is a fantastic way to deal with fomo. Yes. And next time I'm watching the footy at home, instead of being at a gig, I'll once again think, ah, this is Jomo. Yeah, absolutely. But there's something else which is doing the thing that your heart really calls to your heart, you know? And that's neither Jomo, no phone. Well, that's what I'm saying.
Sam: That's the, that's the cure being in the zone. Yeah. That's the cure. And, yeah. Yeah. Go on Ally.
Ali: No, no, I was just gonna say it's that balance. Yeah. Like if. But having, yeah, it cannot be all Jomo and isolating, nor can it be like FOMO and feeling left out. It's, it's having a balance of a little bit of everything that pushes you to do some things also. But none of us are saying we need
Joe: to recapture the excitement of our 20s. And no one needs to go to a music festival and be in the mud on drags, like, yeah, like,
Ali: like it's okay. Like you might, like I said, I, for me, Blondie was always on my bucket list and I'm like, you know what? I am going to make the exception and I'm going to go because I, I, I thought my dream was to be Clem Burke when I was like 19, be the next Clem Burke. So I'm going to be able to see him play the drums and it's going to be great. Like that's, whereas, but yeah, whether But I'm not gonna go to every music festival. I'm not gonna go every Like, that's what I, yeah, would have spent all of my money on when I was younger, was going out to those things and gigs and stuff. Whereas now it's just like, no, I'm gonna Just save it for the, yeah, push myself for the, make the exceptions, but then also, yeah, like find the pleasure in listening to it at home with the cat.
Sam: Mega, mega conscious decision, but also truth be told, it's not a substitute. It is a peak experience to be alone in a room with, and you've chosen the exact song and you've played it at the exact volume. And.
Ali: Ear bleedingly loud. And I'm
Sam: jumping up and down or I'm moving in a strange way and no one needs to know about it. And it's for me only. It's me and the cat. Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's right. And it's like, that was always more fun than the other stuff. Like, that was actually where it was at and beating that at a concert was going to be impossible because I don't feel like I can be myself in that context. I'm not allowed to enjoy it the way I want to enjoy it without pissing other people off.
Ali: There's a silliness and playfulness that you get. In isolation. Yeah. Because there's no judgment. That's right. Yeah. Except the, except the cat maybe judging me, but like she's definitely is. But yeah, there it, there is. Yeah. It's liberating is what it is.
Sam: Yeah. Alright, let's go guys. And. Yeah, let's, let's, I had another thought for both of you though. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. No, look, I'm sorry to do this to you, Joe, but Ali, the other reason you're on this show is because you felt the calling to do it, and it was the right call, and you listened to it. All right, I'm going to do the thing. And Joe, your show, where you read quotes and then just do a quiet reflection on the
Joe: You're the one who owns the means of production, Sam. I don't actually have a microphone, so.
Sam: Oh, okay. All right.
Ali: You could probably do it on your phone. It's so Let's sort it.
Sam: Yeah. We'll get something sorted. Yeah. I'm the first listener. All right. Bye, everyone.
Joe: Jomo and Fomo. That's been another two of the 10, 000 things. I
Sam: think we
Joe: took them down hard.
Ali: See ya. See ya.