Heather Powell: Welcome to the hundredth episode, hundredth episode of the Friday Nightmares podcast. Yes, this is very special because for those of you who have stuck with us for 100 episodes, starting back in January of 2020, before the world fell apart and rebuilt again, we made it to this point. We have changed a lot over the years and we're really glad that you have stayed with us or joined us or hate listened. I don't know. Whatever you've done, we are here for it. My name is Heather Powell. I am from Water Down, Ontario, and I am one half of the Friday Nightmares podcasting team. And with me, as always, is Mr.
Smokeshow: Smokeshow Crawford, coming to you from the town of
Scott: Sports Creek in the county of Genesee in the state of Michigan, in the United States of America, in the North American continent, in the Western hemisphere, on the planet Earth, in the Milky Way galaxy, I'm fully vaxxed, boosted and waxed and ready to climax. And if you can please get me wet and feed me after midnight, I'm the man with the glorious beard,
Mother of Cats: AKA Mother of Cats, AKA the man with the
Scott: humongous ego, AKA Scott Housing,
Scotty: AKA Scotty Too Hottie, AKA Spanky,
Scott: AKA Hey Scott. Heather Powell: Hey, Scott.
Heather Powell: Hey, hey Scott. Scott: And Connor's over on the other
Scott: side and I just hear him go, what the fuck? Heather Powell: I love it.
Heather Powell: I love it. I think more we should do a podcast on how much Scott, like, Scott's life has changed. Like, besides me just sucking more dick over the last couple of years, that's, that's it. Scott, on the other hand, like, has a fucking family now. He has a cute little one eyed dog named river, which basically beyond belongs on sbca, like, commercial of how you can make a difference. He has a beautiful, breathtaking fiance and I really, I'm really glad that I put these years in with Scott to get Erica. Yes, I knew that if I stuck it out long enough, something good would come my way. Scott: You, you gained a
Scott: Scotty and then you gained a family. Heather Powell: I did,
Heather Powell: I did. And Blaze, you can't forget about little Blaze. Scott: Oh, yeah, my little gecko Blaze. He, my little
Scott: dragon. Heather Powell: Right? And Scott's dating history, which has been more
Heather Powell: horrific than some of this. Scott: Yeah, I was gonna say,
Scott: I don't know. I don't know what the listeners came here for. The movies that we've talked about over the years or my horrendous dating history for the first three years. Heather Powell: Right? Because, yeah, we're coming up on our five year anniversary of our show, which is fucking crazy, crazy, crazy. But for the people that may have not seen my post on the Friday Nightmares page. We decided instead of doing the top 30 of 2020-2023 for episode 100, like, we're, you know, our episode today, we decided to hold off because we have, for one, we haven't recorded since before October. And so we got a lot of 2024 to talk about and I'm already starting to forget a lot of them. And we figured if we waited till the next episode, which will probably be in December, knowing us, we will have like two movies that we remember. But we decided we'll do it in January when pickings are very slim for 2025. And it also will lead into our five year anniversary and we can do 2020 to 2024 films. Our top 30 of that. Heather Powell: Yes, yes. Scott: Which makes more sense and it just makes it easier on us because, yeah, we crammed a lot in over this last month or so. Like, I have, at least for me, I actually got 18 watches in, which is pretty good for what I. Heather Powell: Those are good
Heather Powell: new numbers compared to the 200 in a month that you used to do in 2020. Scott: Yeah, I didn't have a life back then. It was a
Scott: bit different. Heather Powell: No. Well, and we went through a pandemic too. Right.
Heather Powell: Like, Scott and I literally met, hung out three times. Pandemic. And then continued to podcast throughout all that. And as Scott's life has changed. More Scott than me. Not that, you know. Oh, it's all because of Scott. We don't record. He just has new responsibilities now with having kids in the house. That's just a reality. His life has changed and, you know, it becomes less rigid. And I think that's just normal with all podcasts. Like, I have such respect for podcasts like dummies of horror who have been. What is. What are they on episode 200 or something? Like, isn't it wild? Scott: I think it was like 250 or something. Yeah. Like,
Scott: and. And then, you know, fucking kudos to Tim for doing an episode a day for October. Like, for 31 days of horror. Like, Jesus Christ. I would never be able to like do for one talk by myself. I would be like, I don't know what to say. Yeah, for another, actually doing it and releasing it consistently every day, not missing a beat. That is fucking impressive. Heather Powell: And I listen to every shout out his wife who supports
Heather Powell: him so he can do that. Like, let's give Jalisa her props here. Scott: Huge props to. Heather Powell: Yeah, that's actually given more to Jaleesa than we hear because she's taking care of three children while he's like, I got a podcast for my 18 patreons.
Scott: We love you, Tim. Heather Powell: Which is true, though. But yeah, when you have people
Heather Powell: like that, or Dave C. And Christian Luciani from the exploding Movie Heads podcast, Mark Nadeau, the Horror Returns. Like, people that have hundreds of episodes out there, you know, and we're just a little baby podcast that made it to 100. So, Scotty, I'm glad we made it here. I'm glad that I've got to do this with you. Over the past four years and anytime we both have thought about quitting, we. We're just like Brokeback Mountain, minus the anal sex. We just can't quit Friday nightmares. Or bad horror movies for that matter either. Uncorked films. I'm gonna throw Lionsgate into that as well, since Lionsgate always comes up with the weirdest shit. Scott: And then the indie.
Scott: Indie stuff that I've been watching, like. Heather Powell: The real indie,
Heather Powell: not indie, like uncorked indie. We're talking like uncorked has even like, nah. Right? And just like, just to be clear, over the past 100 episodes, Scott and I may have said things about podcasters that we know. Please know that it's all jokes. We have no idea what our podcaster fellow people vote in elections, for example, nor do we know what they do in their spare time. Except for Tim. We actually know what Tim does. All he does is watch Jaws and dress up as Leatherface.
Scott: I mean, Rob. Heather Powell: And Rob hates on horror movies. Scott: Well, I was saying it's fair with Tim because he's got all this free time because, you know, Luffy is the one that does all the editing and all that for the show. Heather Powell: So,
Heather Powell: yeah, he's a true premium professional podcaster. So if Scott and I have said something over the years, we probably have forgotten. Yes. Even if it was on the episode that we just recorded, Scott and I forget we have very short term memories that of Fleas. I don't even remember I made my comment about my oral sex giving after. I just forgot that I gave this podcast referral to a co worker of mine. So to that co worker who's listening. I warned you. Now you're just getting the uncensored version of Heather, which is more extreme than what you've already seen in the workplace. But I did warn her, so hopefully if she's listening still, she's just like, oh, Heather. But yes, thank you everyone for being here. And I don't know being here for the ride, whether you listen once or a hundred times, it was very. Or more than that because. Well, no. Well, I guess if you count our guest spots on other shows and stuff like that. Scott: Well, guest spots.
Scott: And then also the episodes we did for Patreon that we did release on our feed as well. Heather Powell: Yeah, yep. Scott: Guests we had on our show, like, so thank you for everybody that's ever joined.
Heather Powell: Yeah, like, we, we really appreciate it. We really, really do. This has always been a hobby for Scott and I. We will. We don't take like, we joke about the premium podcasters. For anyone who doesn't know we are joking. Neither Scott or I think we're premium nor do we think we're professional. It's always just been a running joke. Scott: I'll say. We don't take this as seriously
Scott: as others. We take this as a way to hang out and just shoot the shit about movies and the fact that a lot of you listeners appreciate the depths that we go to to find new release films and kind of take notes, that means a lot because yeah, we're just doing this for fun and we just, you know, we just watch horror movies because we're fucking nerds.
Heather Powell: We are. And we're. And we're besties. We're family. Scott and I are family. We're actually siblings. Even though our mothers are in different countries and we were raised in different countries. Doesn't matter. We are actually separated by birth by a couple of years older, but we are definitely brother and sister and we have a very, very close relationships. So this does provide us that Scott said a good avenue to hang out and judge other people. But more importantly, Scott, you know Halloween's over, right? Scott: Yes, the post, the post Halloween depression
Scott: happens. Heather Powell: No, no, Scott. Now as
Heather Powell: elite horror fans, we have to get mad at the people that only watched horror movies in the month of October and make sure we complain about it for the next 11 months. Because God forbid anybody just enjoy horror movies in the month of October. Scott: How dare they? Heather Powell: That is my biggest. That, that I don't hold back on. That is my biggest pet peeve about the horror community. I really do believe that, like people that get upset that people like to watch horror movies in October but not the rest of the year. What the fuck is wrong with you? Scott: Yeah, I'll say. It's gatekeeping. Heather Powell: It is. For no reason. Let people like what they like. Scott: Yep.
Scott: Like, hey, the fact that they enjoy horror movies and watch them in October, awesome. Like that's great, you know, but like, you don't have to watch them all year. Heather Powell: I watch Christmas movies at Christmas time.
Heather Powell: I don't watch them in July and I don't care if other people do. You know, I like. I watch good old cannibal movies all year round. There's some people that prefer their cannibalism in like February.
Scott: I mean, hell, I actually watched a Christmas movie in Halloween or this month of Halloween. Heather Powell: You did. I'm actually
Heather Powell: saving that one for Christmas because I believe in watching it for the season. I'm supporting the fellow people that watch horror movies in Only in October. And I'm going to. Well, actually, before I finish that thought, isn't Halloween still going on for you? Because aren't you going somewhere tonight? Scott: Oh, yeah. Tonight is kind of like
Scott: the last hurrah for Halloween. We are going to a Halloween party tonight. Heather Powell: What are you dressing up as? Scott: I didn't want to go buy another costume, so I'm just. I didn't have the money until after Halloween and by that point everything's gonna be gone anyway, so I'm just gonna go as Jason Voorhees. And depending on the weather, Erica bought a camp counselor outfit to kind of do a couple's idea if the weather is good for it because it's got like booty shorts and everything. So it's. Oh, it's a chilly day. Heather Powell: Well, it won't be. It won't be that hot in the house later,
Heather Powell: huh? Scott, turn the heat up. Sorry. Scott: Oh, apparently from
Scott: what Connor was just saying, her friend told her she had addresses. A slut.
Heather Powell: I love it. I love it. I think you should turn the heat up in the house really hot for later when you guys get home. Like, oh, babe, I guess you got a booty shorts.
Scott: I said, I'm like, we're keeping these for role playing aspects later, right? Heather Powell: Oh, fuck yeah. I hope she keeps them. Show that
Heather Powell: big booty of hers. She's got a. She's got a banging bar. She definitely should be showing it off. Remember, Scott, a year to your wedding. I still got my time. Scott: Yes. Yeah, I'll say. Yeah.
Scott: One year till the wedding. That is. Oh, boy. Gonna be insane. Like, we already got a lot of stuff taken care of already, so it's exciting, but still got a lot to do as well. Heather Powell: It's gonna be an exciting time.
Heather Powell: My Halloween was pretty chill this year. I got back from my trip, which feels like a million years ago. I'll talk about it later. Yeah, because I watched some movies with my good friend Mike. Mike. He's gonna be so bad. Mark, 5%. Sorry, Mark. And Mark is having his third book published. It Will be out in November and when it's released I'll talk about it on our next episode. But that is very exciting and it's gonna be about Peter Cushing.
Scott: Well, that is awesome. Congratulations, Mark. Heather Powell: Yeah, pretty. Pretty cool.
Heather Powell: So right. So while I was there, him and I had the pleasure of watching a couple of horror movies together. Some 20, 20 fours and an older film that I was only able to watch there. Oh yeah, right. In England. So I will talk about that later and I will share his thoughts on them as well because he had some. Some interesting thoughts as well that I thought I would share. So shouts out to him and thanks as always for everyone in England. I had a fab time. I went to the Rested Ghoul Cafe, which is still running strong. The horror themed cafe. I sent Scotty a picture of the hot chocolate that I had there that was in the skull glass. It was good. Scott: That was cool. Yeah, it was really cool. Scott: I'm jealous. Heather Powell: It was. Honestly, it's one of the coolest places to go to. I recommend it to anyone who's in the Gateshead Newcastle area. It's near the High Bridge or High Level bridge. Just google arrested Ghoul and go check it out. James and Helen are phenomenal. Thumbs up to them. They had a wedding there on Halloween, which was awesome. Not their wedding, they're married. But they had another wedding reception there. Yeah. And I went to Belfast, which was beautiful. Really fun. Listen to some good Irish music. Saw a bunch of COVID bands. Saw a band called the Force that reminded me so much of you. They looked like a medieval theme kind of band. I'm like, these are Scott's people. These are definitely Scott's people. Didn't do a lot of horror related stuff, but did watch some horror movies. So we'll talk about that. Just a lot of pubbing, drinking and live music, which is always something that I enjoy doing. I love being in England and I'm looking forward to going back next year and I'll be heading up Spain next year when I go. Scott: So nice. That'll be great. I'll be really annoying about that as well as we get closer.
Scott: Oh, I know. Oh, I know. I'm already prepared.
Heather Powell: Oh wait, one thing I'll add before we get into the movies. I did go to the place where Harry Potter was filmed. I went to Durham and I went to the cathedral where they filmed the Quidditch scenes and I saw where the hall where they ate was filmed. So that was pretty badass. That was pretty cool. I haven't really Been to a movie set like that before. Like, I've walked through movie sets here, but they're horror movie sets. Not to be like, they're not a big deal, but this is a major motion picture. Harry Potter is pretty fucking universally known, let me tell you. They capitalize on it in the gift shop.
Scott: Oh, I'm sure they do. Heather Powell: They're like,
Heather Powell: do you know where the fuck you are? Buy some shit. Scott: Like, we make
Scott: money off y'all. Heather Powell: Right, so here's to a
Heather Powell: good Halloween that has come and gone. Scotty and I had a separate good times. He had a good work costume. I went out to a Halloween party last week as Steampunk, which was great. And here's to a good party for you tonight, my friend. Scott: Well, thank you.
Scott: Yeah, I'll say. I did three costumes this year, which is unusual for me. Normally it's just one and done, but I did Simon from Neeb's Gaming, which only very small group people would know, but it was just something silly I threw together for I love dinner. We went to then. Yep, just then. I dressed as the Huntsman from Snow White for work themed Halloween day. Everybody was the Seven Dwarves or Snow White and I was the Huntsman. And then, yep, Jason tonight. Heather Powell: I love it. I loved the theme work
Heather Powell: costume. I thought that was really clever. Scott: Yeah. I was gonna say I'm glad that
Scott: we got back into it because I think the last time we did it was the wrestling costumes and that was years ago.
Heather Powell: I think that's the year we met. Scott: Yeah. Yeah. Because you've seen my hacksaw.
Scott: Jim Duggan. Heather Powell: Yeah. Yeah. That's a long time ago,
Heather Powell: Scott. Scott: Yeah. Heather Powell: Wow, you're so much older and wiser now. Yeah, older. Scott: I don't
Scott: know about why. It's true. Heather Powell: We're both
Heather Powell: pretty dumb because I chose to watch this film, so. Scott: Oh,
Scott: boy. Heather Powell: Well, we'll jump into it. Oh, no. My computer
Heather Powell: just shut down. Oh, no. Well, good thing I have my phone. Hold on. It's movies. The movie's called Subservice and I'm just going to go into letterbox here on my phone to read it. Oh, wait, that's the substance, which I forgot to put in earlier, which is of by far better movie. Let me go to my list. Fucking computer. I can't believe it. It just literally stopped working. Even it was like, this movie's a piece of shit. Heather, why did you watch this? Megan Fox is in this one and I don't know Megan Fox. We saw her in that one when she was married and kind of like handcuffed to the dead body. Remember her husband dies and she's stuck in this situation. Yeah, yeah. That wasn't too bad. It wasn't too bad. This was AI's bird. All right. Subservice Subservancy. Sorry, Subservancy. This is a 105 minute runtime. This never should have been 105 minute runtime. It should have been a 90 minute runtime. Don't turn her on. And it's making fuck. Since she's really hot. Anyway, with his wife out sick, no one really knows what she's out sick with. Apparently she gets a heart transplant. I don't know how that even works in modern day society. And how she was absolutely fine. But anyway, a struggling father brings home a lifelike AI that looks like a supermodel. Like can you imagine if like maybe like Erica bringing home like, I don't know, Ryan Reynolds as like an AI model? It is like, oh yeah, Scott Ryan Reynolds. Water. Scott: I guess I'll go sleep on the couch,
Scott: right? Heather Powell: Anyway. Only to have
Heather Powell: his self. Aware. His self aware. New help. New help. Oh my God, what a dated term. Anyway, want everything her family has to offer, like the affection of her owner. And she'll kill to get it. I'm sure you can guess what happens in this movie. It doesn't take a rocket science to put it together. I watched this movie quite some time ago. Oh, this other person is like a woman waits in a hospital for a heart transplant. They also found that part really stupid. I'm glad they also equally wondered what was going on with that. Mike. Mike. Oh my God. Matt woods watched this movie. He gave it three and a half stars and Dave Bailey gave it two and a half. I think that's fair. From what I remember, it's your basic AI gone wonky. I did enjoy it enough for what it is. I wouldn't say it's anything overly special, so to say. But I think for a film that's capitalizing on the AI craze of oh no, it's AI, we're all gonna die. It was fine. Not needed to go out and run out and watch. But it was entertaining enough. If for some reason you haven't had enough of AI or Megan Fox, I don't know. You want to check out Megan Fox the entire movie? That's all probably worth your time as well. You can find it on Amazon, Apple, Google Play and hoopla. Again, this is not a need to rush out and watch. Only if you want to ogle Megan Fox or You're really obsessed with AI horror gone wrong. Do I recognize recommend this one Now I hope the next movie is yours, Scott, because I can't see anything. Scott: Now the next one is yours.
Scott: And his Last straw. Heather Powell: Oh, thank you. All right,
Heather Powell: perfect. You're a good friend. Last straw. This one was actually quite good. I really enjoyed this one. This is a kind of a survival isolation horror film. It's an 81 minute runtime, it knows its limit and it stays within it. A rural roadside diner becomes the host of a mechanic maniacal killing spree, leaving a young waitress to clean up the mess. After hard headed Nancy fires the staff at her dad's diner, she decides to cover the last shift of the night and is coming back to the day is coming back to haunt her. When things begin to spiral out of control, she must fight for her life over the course of one long night. That is the best synopsis of this movie. It is isolation horror done right. There was a movie that came out, I think it was last year, the year before, about a woman being isolated in a gas station with a shooter. Scott: Oh yeah,
Scott: right. Never watched it, but I heard of it. Heather Powell: Yeah, I remember I talked about
Heather Powell: it. I think it was on Shudder. And this is a lot gorier. So if you watch that movie and you were like kind of slow, wasn't paced too well, you're gonna really like this movie because it's paced very well, it moves quick, the characters are all very affable. You can get behind the final chick. You definitely want her to make it. Some people have said she's a bad person. I don't think she's a bad person at all. I didn't get the impression that she was an antagonist or an. Or an evil person or a bitch or whatever, you know, misogynist terms one wants to use to describe her. I just thought she was fed up with like people's bullshit and was like fuck this shit. And I thought it was empowering. I thought the kind of twist to the film is actually quite good. And I was surprised. I'll be honest, I was surprised. So Matt has given it. Matt Wood has given it three and a half stars. He says something very similar for me though. Apparently he's a sucker for horror films based around diners. Same. Matt, why don't you tell us what other horror films are based around diners? I didn't know that this was a thing. Please share because I also would like to know about some diner horror films. Kate Pollock from same podcast as Matt gave it three and a half stars their same seas with their score. So we're looking at, you know, and other people. Duncan McLeish also gave it three and a half stars so I would give it probably four. I enjoyed it a little bit more than they did, so I thought it was solid. I do recommend checking it out. It is available on. Oh, now I lost it. Let's see here. Apple TV, Google Play, YouTube, Microsoft and Amazon. Unlike Subservancy, I would say that's not really worth a rental price. I would wait till that's free. This one here, if you like isolation and survival horror, I would recommend whatever it's going for. 599. I don't think this is going to be like one of those crazy 1099 or 17 or I don't know, crazy amount for a rental. But I would say if you like isolation and survival horror, this could be for you and I would definitely recommend checking it out. Scott: Awesome. Yeah, I seen this one
Scott: or seen this one on like the streaming services and I was tempted to check it out but I have not yet. So good to know. I will add this to the list and see if I can get to it sometime soon. The next one is me. I figure I'd give you a quick little break and it's a big one. Oh boy. I'm talking about Christmas during Halloween time. Oh boy. So for my birthday, Erica decided to take me to go see Terrafire the in theaters. And I'll read the synopsis real quick. It's got 125 minute runtime. The tagline is, you better not shout, you better not cry. The synopsis is five years after surviving Art the Clown's Halloween massacre. Sienna and Jonathan are still struggling to rebuild their shattered lives. As the holiday season approaches, they try to embrace the Christmas spirit and leave the horrors of the past behind. But just when they think they're safe, Art returns. Determined to turn their holiday cheer into a new nightmare. The festive season quickly unravels as Art unleashes this twisted brand of terror, proving that no holiday is safe. Holy shit. This movie. I mean I've talked about it before, but yeah. Terrifier, Terrifier two. I love them. Absolutely love Terrifier two. And Terrifier three was just so damn fun. And I gotta say, they added to the story and lore of Art, which was what was lacking from part two and made a much more cohesive story this time around. Instead of like some like kind of ambiguous things left for you to try to figure out, they actually kind of explained some things. There's still stuff that needs to be explained, but they're definitely coming out with a part four. Damien Leone has already said that, but the budget was upped because I believe the first film was around or the second film was around 500,000 to a million dollars. This one had a 2 million dollar budget. And I have to say, let's give a round of applause for this. This movie has once again, once again done gangbusters at theater. I just looked up the box Office on a $2 million budget. It is now worldwide made $60 million. Heather Powell: Wow, that's a lot. That's a lot of money. And opening weekend, it beat Joker Folly do or whatever. It was the sequel to the Joker movie, like on opening weekend, which is incredible. And I follow David Howard Thornton on Facebook. And just seeing his reaction and humbleness to all this and how shocked he is and just like so just amazed at, you know, everything that's happening with him. He's just like, this is incredible. And it just makes my heart happy to see that he is skyrocketing in popularity with this character and all. Right, back to the movie though. The gore, freaking awesome as hell. So there are moments where I was even cringing and I don't cringe very often. Normally I laugh at the super gory parts and smile like an idiot, but there are even some points where I'm going, oh, hell. And yeah, there's. I think they may have topped the bedroom scene from part two. Heather Powell: Really? Yeah. There is a scene that's just like, oh, oh, okay. And I, I gotta applaud him because the effects look absolutely incredible. The acting all around is great. Like Sienna and Jonathan are once again just great characters. David Howard Thornton as art is just always a freaking hoot. Just because he's so silly and fun, but also so mean. The editing was a lot better this time because obviously with part two, it was two and a half hours where I didn't mind it and it went quickly with the second movie. There were parts where I'm going, okay, yeah, that could be cut. That could be cut. I could see where they could have trimmed it down. This one, it was two hours. It flew by for me and don't really see anything they could have cut from it. Like, it just added to the story. Everything was just kind of building up. And yeah, this is probably my number one movie of the year. Heather Powell: This is really. Scott: This is way up there. This is. I had so much fun with this and I cannot wait to revisit it around Christmas time. Like, this is a high High, high recommend. Heather Powell: Well, I'm excited to hear that. Maybe myself,
Heather Powell: you and Brandon can watch it together. It's been a long time since we've watched a movie. Maybe will do that. I know it'll be a second watch for you but maybe the three of us could do that sometime. Scott: I think I would enjoy
Scott: the being the one that had the second watch and watching your guys reaction going. Heather Powell: Yeah, yeah. I am a big
Heather Powell: fan of the first one. I did not like the second one as much. I found it dragged. So I am excited to see how I feel about this one. Scott: Yeah, I'm very curious. I think you will.
Scott: I'm still in the air if you will like it more than the first one, but I think you'll definitely like it more than the second one.
Heather Powell: Well, I'm. I love the praise. Is it. Is it available to rent? Scott: Nope, it is still in theaters. But we do
Scott: have it at a good friend's Plex right now. Heather Powell: We do. So if you're Scott
Heather Powell: and I, you're vip but for everyone else it's in theaters. You're just going to have to wait. Scott: Yep. I think Damian said
Scott: that it will be available right around the Christmas time to watch. Heather Powell: Nice. Well, that's perfect. That's. That sounds like
Heather Powell: a good holiday watch for me. Now this one we both watch. Do you want me to bring it in or do you want to bring it in? Scott: Yeah, you can bring it in and then I will hop in with
Scott: my thoughts because I have some. Heather Powell: No, I know you do.
Heather Powell: So this is the remake of. When was the original out? 80s 81 or something like that. Scott: It was like
Scott: 1979. Heather Powell: Okay, so it was late 70s. So Salem's
Heather Powell: Lot, 2024. Just like we had a remake of Children of the Corn that tanked. I feel like Salem's Lot was coming in hot. Hoping that it could like do better. Be careful what you invite. Inside author Ben Mears returns to his childhood home of. How do I say this? Jerusalem. Scott: Jerusalem. Heather Powell: Jerusalem is what it's actually. Okay. I was like, that's actually what it's called, Jerusalem's Lot. Only to discover his hometown is being preyed upon by a bloodthirsty vampire. Very short synopsis in terms of ratings from other podcasters. Lots of people have seen this. Tim Davis is sitting at a whopping four and a half stars. Phil Ray's at a two and a half. Matt Wood is at three. The Hump is at two and a half. Dave Bailey is at three. I. Okay, full disclosure. Never saw the original. Haven't Read the book. So I think that greatly changes how you view this film. I thought it was a nice, cute little horror movie. And I say cute because, you know, even though it is quite dark, it is a little sped up. Like everything goes from bad to worse in a matter of like what feels like 20 minutes. So I thought that it was, it was packaged pretty nicely and it put throughout a story pretty quickly. I didn't have a lot of beefs about like oh, but this doesn't make sense now. But I think it's because I haven't seen the original nor have I read the book. And I just went with it and was like, ah, horror movie logic. Sure. It's sitting at only 113 minutes which is considerably shorter than I believe the miniseries was. Scott: Yeah, I think that, yeah, I think that movie was two
Scott: and a half hours, three hours somewhere around there. Heather Powell: So.
Heather Powell: And obviously shorter than the book. So I probably sit around a three star too. I enjoyed it when characters were killed off in this. I was sad. There were certain people that I was like, ah fuck, you know, I was really rooting for them. So I was invested. But I think someone like Scott who has read the book might have a different perspective. So.
Scott: Yeah, so right off the bat I will say Tobe Hooper's adaptation of the book from the 70s, it gets a lot of love. A lot of people love it and I see a lot of people saying, you know, it's comparing this movie to that. I'm not comparing that movie to that because one, that movie back then was fine. It was not as great as everybody makes it out to be. It's a little too slow. But I am gonna like I compare it to, you know, the adaptation of the book. And when you do a Stephen King adaptation, character development is extremely important because that is what Stephen King is mainly known for. His descriptive details and his building of characters before the horror truly sets in. And with this movie it just felt like a clip show of the highlights of what happens in the book without giving us the meat and potatoes of the building of the character. So it, it goes from 0 to 100 within the first half hour where it needed this, this movie. I think if would have been good if it had about a two hour runtime, like okay, an extra half hour to 45 minutes to kind of give us a little more build up to the characters and what happens in the town because yeah, you just don't get enough of that. And it's a shame because I love the look of the vampires. I Barlow looked Creepy as hell. Like the character, the acting I thought was decent. There were a lot of characters that I thought kind of just had that look of what I had in my head, but I just didn't care for. And I like, it didn't affect me when any of them died or got changed or anything happened. I just, I had no connection to them, like, besides knowing them from the book. And I'm just like, you didn't do these characters justice. There was so much more to them. And what I read, it sounds like about an hour of this movie got cut out. Like got chopped a bit.
Heather Powell: Yeah, yeah. That doesn't help. Scott: Yeah. Like for a quick,
Scott: easy, just fast paced vampire movie, sure it's entertaining, but when it's based off of one of my top five Stephen King novels and it's not that great. So I had to lower my score. I think it's down to like, I think I gave it a three out of five, but just because it was quick and easy and entertaining. But man, I was disappointed. I wanted so much more from this. Heather Powell: That's fair. For me,
Heather Powell: it's probably three to three and a half because again, I didn't have the context. I know about the famous scene about the vampire outside the window. Yeah. And they did it. And I thought they did it with enough change that they still played tribute to the OG Without, I don't know, completely copying it. And I did the main protagonists, the two main protagonists, the kid and the adult. I thought they were great. Yeah. Again, I think you're right, Scott. I think whether you are a big fan of this book or whether you've seen the OG movie will affect this experience. Scott: Yeah. Heather Powell: You know what I mean? But I do give it credit for probably being a better film than Children of the Corn that came out whenever that was last year or the year before. Scott: Oh, man, I kind of enjoyed that one. Did you think that was better than this one?
Scott: No, I think it's. I think it's on par. Heather Powell: Okay, that's fair. That's fair.
Heather Powell: Yeah. So it's available on HBO, Max and Crave in Canada. So I would say watch it if you have any of those streaming services. I think it's totally worth it. You know, at least get your own opinion about it. If you're, you know, not a big fan of the previous, you know, the book or the, or the movie, maybe you'll like this or the miniseries. If you're a big fan of both, maybe you want to watch this and then judge the of it. That's fine too. Whatever you want to do. Right. And the next one, do you want to bring this in? Because I know you're a big fan. Oh, no, it's. Yeah. You saw this one, right? Scott: Yep. I'll bring it in because
Scott: you brought the last one. Heather Powell: Sounds good. Scott: The next one we're going to talk about is VHS Beyond. It's got 114 minute runtime. The tagline is no safe space. The infinite playground of forbidden worlds and dangerous life forms offered by the sci fi horror genre will lead to the biggest, maddest, bloodiest VHS ever. Yeah, I believe this is part 7 of the VHS series, which, you know, not even gonna mention my thoughts right now, but I just say keep at it, keep bringing us VHS sequels. Because anthology films are always fun to watch and I always have at least one or two good stories out of each. At least one or two good stories out of each VHS movie. So like I am always here for VHS sequels and I will always watch them. This one, however, was not the biggest fan of overall. For one, they kind of took the found footage aspect and threw it out the window for certain stories and that drove me nuts. I think it was the second story with the Bollywood. Heather Powell: Yeah,
Heather Powell: it was. That one was a little weird. Scott: Yeah. And they like, like. Because all
Scott: of a sudden there's a, like it's not found footage but it's a camera up in the air looking down at like big old set piece and it's like that's, that's not found footage. And there's a couple other spots where I'm going, yeah, that's not found footage either. But all in all, I think. See there is. I'm trying to count how many stories. One, two, three. I think there was a total of five or six stories and I enjoyed the first one and the final one. Heather Powell: The first one, you didn't like the animal based one. That was just too my favorite. I had a feeling it would. I mean, but you also love Tusk too, which is. Heather Powell: Oh my God,
Heather Powell: Tusk. Scott: Which is.
Scott: Yeah, yeah, it was directed by what's his name? Justin Long. Heather Powell: Oh, this. Oh, that makes so much. What is with Justin
Heather Powell: Long and Weird Animal. But yeah, I love, I love. This is my second favorite vhs. Scott: Wow. Heather Powell: Yeah, I'm just not even going to bullshit it. I think this is close to on par with the first or the second. So VHS2 is my favorite. This is a very, very close second. That's how much I enjoyed these stories. Scott: Wow. Huge. I liked all of them, which is the Bollywood one. I agree. I do think the theme was weird. So I watched this with Mark and Mark's criticism of this was he's like. The theme didn't seem like. He's like. I thought it was like kind of alien spaceship. And then he's like, well, this, the animal one didn't make the most sense to kind of throw into that. Like, he's like, that one doesn't really feel like it flowed, but he thought it was creepy. We both thought the story was good, I think. And Mark, you can correct me later when you're listening to this. I think the spaceship one he really dug. Scott: Yeah, that one was written
Scott: by Mike Flanagan too. Heather Powell: Oh, nice.
Heather Powell: So I liked all of them quite a bit. I thought that this, to me is one of the better. VHS is better than last year's, better than the year before. I really, really enjoyed it. And I do think I am the minority, I will say that, because when I look at the reviews Tim gave us, gave it two and a half stars. Matt Wood gave it three and a half stars. But I think that's all Matt knows how to give because I think every single movie we've talked about, Matt's giving it three and a half stars. Scott: I think he's like you and just chooses Joy. Yeah. You know what he does? Because he's out at the pub living his best fucking life, drinking, drinking Bevies being like, you know what, Heather? You know, cunts be cunts. And we just need to sit there and enjoy the movies. So I. I don't know. This to me is a 5 out of 5. I thought VHS and beyond is exceptional. I don't think Mark would have given it a five out of five. I'm going to go that he probably would give it like a 4 out of 5. But I know he enjoyed the stories and he doesn't see a lot of New Age horror. So this was like one of the newer anthologies that he's seen and I was telling him that there's like a series of these so I might get him to watch them. But I obviously I'm going to pick the ones I like, so I'm the ones I don't. But yeah. So a little bit of different opinions here, Scott. I really loved it. This will probably be my anthology of the year, possibly in my top 10. And I don't think you're gonna have it anywhere near your top 10 this year. Scott: No, unfortunately not. Like I
Scott: said, I didn't hate my time with it. But of all, I think this lands at number four or five for me in the VHS Franchise. Heather Powell: Okay. Scott: Like, there's, like, none of the stories were horrible besides the one that everybody seems to love. And I hated this one.
Heather Powell: Which one? Scott: It is the skydiving one. Heather Powell: Oh, I liked that. Why did you hate it? Scott: I hated the very
Scott: first few minutes because all the characters were so goddamn annoying and just. Heather Powell: Okay. Scott: And then when they get. When they actually land, like, I thought the idea was cool, but then when they land and you see the reveal of the creature, it looked like PlayStation 1 fucking graphics and just looked awful. I hated the design of that thing. It was so bad. Heather Powell: Yeah, I agree.
Heather Powell: But I thought the. I thought it played on one of people's biggest fears of why they don't want to go skydiving. Scott: Oh,
Scott: yeah. Like I say, I like the concept. It just was. The execution was not for me. Heather Powell: And I felt like an
Heather Powell: added. Like, okay, this thing happened skydiving, now this other thing is gonna happen. Like, it was very much like, how much more worse could it get kind of thing. Right? Yeah, yeah. I don't know. So mixed emotions on it. But if you like anthologies, like, let's be real, VHS is kind of the go to right now for anthologies and horrors. So whether you love it or hate it, you'll probably like some of them. We're looking at this being available on all the shutties, so whatever kind of form of shutter you have, as well as AMC plus and AMC plus Amazon. So if you're sorry, go ahead.
Scott: I was gonna say. Yeah, I will still recommend it, too. It's. I gave it a three out of five. Like, it's still enjoyable and will probably be the best anthology movie I see. But that's not saying much this year. Heather Powell: I think this may be in my top 10 this
Heather Powell: year, so it will be really interesting because that will be the first time a VHS since we. Because I. Obviously, when we VHS2 came out, we weren't doing a podcast. I wasn't ranking movies. So this may be the first time that an anthology has made it to my top 10.
Scott: Interesting. Heather Powell: Yes. You know, you got to keep it spicy here
Heather Powell: on Friday Nightmares as a premium podcast. Clearly. So, speaking of spicy, Scott, how do you feel about Rosemary's Baby? Scott: It's a
Scott: classic. Heather Powell: Would you say you're a fan? Scott: Yeah, I've only watched it once, all the way through, and that was just a few years ago for the first time. And I really loved the story and thought the acting and everything was absolutely amazing. I see why it's considered a classic.
Heather Powell: How do you feel about a prequel? Scott: I'm all for it. Heather Powell: Wow. Have you seen it? Scott: I did. Heather Powell: Oh, and the plot thickens. We're talking about apartment 7A 2024. Rosemary was not the first as the tagline, a struggling young dancer finds herself drawn in by dark forces. When a particular. Is that what it is? I feel like I'm not reading that right.
Scott: Peculiar. Heather Powell: Peculiar. Thank you. Well connected older
Heather Powell: couple promises her a shot at fame. This movie is sitting at a runtime of 106 minutes. Matt woods gave this four stars. Excellent. He figured out how to give more than three and a half. He's like, how do you do that on letterbox? And you gave it three and a half. I thought this was a really good movie. I like it more than Rosemary's Baby. Now that being said, Rosemary's Baby came out in. Was it the 60s, late 60s?
Scott: I think it was late 60s, early 70s. Don't quote me on that. But yeah, it. Heather Powell: So it was filmed
Heather Powell: for that time period. And already some of the filming, some of the films from that time period. I find Drake out for me. I even find the original Psycho drags out a little bit for me. Great films, they just drag out personally for me. So I will say if you are like me and you enjoyed the concept of Rosemary's Baby, thought it was a great movie but maybe was just a tad too long because of the filming style. This is going to be a movie for you. I found this very easy to get into. I found the main character very easy to follow in Route 4. I thought the couple did a great job of being welcoming and creepy, which is really fucking hard to do. To come across as like the really nice people that are real fucked up and at the ending, wow. Chef's kiss. That is how you win a horror movie. I, if I could have given this horror movie a standing ovation, I would have for that last last five minutes. I re watched it because I liked it so much. I thought it was so, ah, Chef's kiss. Scott: Yeah, the way they tied it in. Heather Powell: Oh, amazing, amazing. And this main character, an excellent protagonist. I. Nothing but praise. Great, great film. Scott, what are your thoughts? Oh, never mind. Scott doesn't have any thoughts. He's chewing, he's getting ready. He's coming with those thoughts. Scott: Okay, let's munching on some almonds there. Fair enough. Scott: But yeah, I, Erica and I watched this
Scott: around the. Yeah, I think it was when I was on my vacation because we were just like hammering out 2024s that week. And yeah, I really enjoyed this one. I thought the acting was really well done. I thought it tied in wonderfully with the OG And I did. I did think it was a little bit just kind of eh. At some points with the story. There were parts where I just didn't feel as connected, I guess you would say. I'm trying to find the right word here, but like, it didn't grab me like Rosemary's Baby did. But at the same time for a prequel that I was going and going, oh God, this is gonna be terrible. I came out surprised as hell. Heather Powell: Good. Scott: I was really impressed with how well this movie was like a very solid prequel to tie into Rosemary's Baby. I. I'm struggling to remember some bits of it because it was early on, like shortly after I we recorded last time is when I watched this. So it was a while ago. But I do really like it. The scenes that stuck with me have stuck with me. And yeah, like you said, the couple being extra creepy and I gotta say, I can't remember her name, but the woman that plays the lady of the couple does such a great impersonation of the lady from the original. Heather Powell: Yes. Scott: The voice and everything, she nails it. Heather Powell: And that's hard to do right.
Heather Powell: When you are basically going back in time and trying to kind of bring back a character that's no longer here. I think that that says a lot, actually. It reminds me that I watched Alien Romulus, which is separate than this, and also did something similar that you talked about as well, only that was done with AI. Right. So this is a little bit more authentic, I think when you do it this way. Yeah. I think this is a must watch, honestly, for this year. I think you'll be impressed by it. I think it's a good little story. Whatever your feelings may be on on Rosemary's Baby, I think this movie is quite enjoyable. If you have Paramount, if you pay for that subscription, it's included. So I would definitely recommend it. If not, it's available for rent on Apple tv, Google Play, Amazon and Microsoft Store. I think it's whatever the rental is. If the theme of Rosemary's Baby is something that you would dig, a modernized version of that story is I think the best non spoiler review I can get.
Scott: Yes. Heather Powell: Right. If you like that, then you'll probably dig
Heather Powell: this. And I would recommend it. And definitely if you got Paramount plus, like you might as well. Scott: Yeah, I was gonna say. And I'm also there
Scott: recommended it because. Yeah, it's a three and a half on letterbox. So it's a seven out of 10, 7.5 out of 10 for me. Like it may be mentioned in my awards. We shall see.
Heather Powell: Awesome, awesome, awesome. Did you watch this next one?
Scott: No, I did not. And I was gonna say I am gonna step away for a quick second run to the bathroom. So let you talk about it if you want. Heather Powell: Oh, it's perfect. I can talk. That's fine. Finally, my time
Heather Powell: to shine. Scott: Your time to shine. Heather Powell: Heather, get the fuck out of your. Scott. No one wants to hear about you anyway. All right, so this is. This is Heather's show now. So Matt, if you're listening, you know, maybe you could come and host with me sometime since Scott doesn't actually want to be here anyway. It's what's inside. Just like Matt. It's what's inside of me, of how I feel for you. So this is a 2024 film as well. This is actually on Netflix. So if anyone has a subscription to Netflix, this is an opportunity for them to check this one out. Nobody is leaving the same as they came, a pre wedding party descends into an existential nightmare when an estranged friend shows up with a mysterious suitcase. So in this film we have a group of friends that are getting together and they play a interesting game that uses technology as a base and it comes across on Netflix as a thriller, drama, mystery or something like that. Science fiction. You know, we all know it's a horror film. We all do. It's just, you know, we refuse to call certain things horror films, but this definitely is a horror based film. The movie is 103 minutes in length. What I will give it credit for here is that it does not overstay its welcome. It keeps it to a pretty decent runtime. Looking at the rankings, Matt Wood has given it three stars, Dave Bailey has given it three stars, and Matt Wood's review. Let's see here. What can I read here that's not a spoiler? I liked the concept of this fucked up and trippy. However, I don't think it went dark enough. Oh, I thought it was pretty dark, Mac. Matt. They really could have done some fucked up stuff and also had the potential to be funny if they went down that route. I think they thought they were being funny and I do think some things were dark. But I get what you're saying. It could have been a little bit more darker. But I think for a watch on Netflix, it's actually pretty good. I will say I've watched a lot of stuff on Netflix recently and I. And. And Netflix is starting to bring it a little bit more. And even though they kind of categorize this as a science fiction thriller drama. It is definitely a horror movie. So if you enjoy a little bit of science fiction, a little bit of friends in peril, you know, inter relationship kind of movie, this is a movie for you and it is available on all of the Netflix services. So even Netflix Basic it is available there. And Scott is back with us. Welcome back, Scott. Scott: Thanks. Heather Powell: And it's good because I haven't seen this next one and that's you. Scott: Yep. That's kind of why I was like, I'll jump in
Scott: real quick here. So yeah, Erica and I watched this one. It was a Tubi movie called Hashtag Missing Couple. It's got a 93 minute runtime. I will preface this by saying it's not a to be original. We just found it on Tubi. But at Austin and Jana were a real Hashtag Hashtag Van Life couple on an adventure to renovate an abandoned farm in the middle of nowhere, Miss Mississippi. Cameras blazing, they chronicled their project on social media. But the farm was full of disturbing surprises, especially at night. Someone or something was stalking the couple. Please DM at Found Persons report with info about their disappearance. So yeah, this is your typical found footage social media like influencers type movie where but like typical, as I should say, low budget found footage type. It's about, yep, this couple that just gets this house and starts renovating it. And you're watching it through the camera lens of a friend who's trying to find them because they just up and disappeared. So he's showing clips on his YouTube channel of what they had uploaded and he's trying to get to the bottom of what happened to them. So eventually he goes to the farm himself to kind of do some investigations and it's nothing to really write home about. Like I was just like, eh, this is just kind of just been mediocre. Yeah, been there, done that. But then there is a twist that happens that I did not see coming that made it stand out a little more than the rest. I will say that to where it elevated it from being very freaking forgettable to at least somewhat memorable. It's not, not great by any means, but it was an easy watch and I don't have a lot to say about it because like I said, been there, done that. But this twist kind of caught me off guard. So I, I want to give it props for that and want to talk about it there. But that's basically all there is really to it. Not a whole lot really. Only one other person has watched it and I'm not sure who this is, but he gave it a 3 out of 5. And I'm also sitting at like a 3 out of 5. Like it's 5.5, 6 out of 10 type deal where it's not just. It's not heaped in the forgettable pile.
Heather Powell: That's good to know. And it's on Tubi for free. So if you really like found footage and this kind of stuff, it's available there, right?
Scott: Yeah, exactly. And you know. Yeah, it's available. Sorry, I close the app. It's available on Apple TV, Google Play, Tubi, Fandango and YouTube.
Heather Powell: Nice. Hey, you know, there's. That's good to have to be. We're getting a variety here. We've had to be. We just had a Netflix. We've had some shutter. We've had theater. What is it? Theater. And then also like Video on Demand. Scott: Yep, Paramount. Paramount. And we're going to go back to Netflix. So in 2020, a film took us by storm at the beginning of the pandemic and was really kind of scary how it came out at a time when we were in a toilet paper shortage. And yeah, there was issues with getting supplies. It was a little too close to home. Well, they came back in the ring for another swing. And I introduced you, ladies and gentlemen, the Platform too. After a mysterious leader imposes his law in a brutal system of vertical cells and new arrival battles against a dubious food distribution method. This film. Well, if you've seen the original Platform, you know what's happening. We're not reinventing the wheel when it comes to what is happening happening. But this film again, looks at social structure, the needs, the wants and the have nots. I'll be very honest, I don't know why they did the sequel. I don't think it was bad that they did this because it's explaining things a little bit more and really delving into human nature and what happens when you put humans in a restrictive system where they need to work together for survival, but also pit them against each other. And I will give a lot of credit to this film for that. It's filmed well, it's acted well. It's a very good message. I just don't know if the Platform was a movie that needed a sequel.
Scott: Yeah, that's. Heather Powell: You know what I mean? I. Unless you're going to do something completely drastically different, I don't see the point. Heather Powell: You know,
Heather Powell: And I would have not mind. Like, I would have probably been more interested in something that showed the creation of the platform. Form, like, who thought of it and why? And. And again, though, this is an exceptional film. I think if you saw the first one and you were passionate about it, definitely watch this. I do really applaud the exploration that they went into here about social structures, what you will do to meet your own needs over others. Like, this is a awesome film. Like, I will be very clear here. This is a really, really good film. But even for me, who love social political issues, you really gotta be into this shit to watch the platform too. Like, you're gonna get more of the platform, but supersized. So you really gotta like that theme to dig this. Scott: Gotcha. Heather Powell: Like Tim Davis. Don't bother. You're probably not gonna like this. There's other people out there that I'd be like, don't, Daniel. You may like it. You may enjoy it a little bit more.
Scott: Yeah, Luffy already watched it. Heather Powell: And did he like it? Scott: I think he gave it like a seven or so. He's like, it just felt like it was pointless, but he's like, it was decent. Heather Powell: Yeah, that's exactly the best way to put it.
Heather Powell: Right. So I think that that is the best way to look at this. It is on Netflix. So, you know, if you really did enjoy the first one and you want to see what they're doing. Absolutely. Check it out. And you have Netflix. If you don't, I wouldn't recommend just getting Netflix for this movie. Right. Like, and again, only. Only watch it if you were really into the. Like, you gotta have really liked the first one to get into this one. And I will. I will leave it at that. The next one is. Have you seen this next one?
Scott: No, I have not. But I know. Good joke to go with that. Sitting up in my room.
Heather Powell: Yeah. Because good old Brandy's in this one. And I believe this is an A24 film. I think. I think it was. I could be wrong. I don't know. Maybe it was an IFC midnight. They're all the same, the two of them. There are two companies that if they made a baby, it would be the most artistic, pretentious shit ever that would come out. Honestly, I think it was an A24 though. The front room, all hell moves in. Everything goes to hell for newly pregnant Belinda after her mother in law moves in as a diabolical guest tries to get her claws onto the child. Belinda must draw the line somewhere. This is a really entertaining film. I will be honest. I didn't know what to expect from Brandy. I didn't know what to expect from the Overview of this film. I know Phil Ray gave it a one star, which I think is hilarious. Tim Davis gave it three and a half. I think that's very fair. I don't think it does anything overly new. But I do think the mother in law in this is hilarious. I'm sure she's not supposed to be hilarious. Well, at times I'm sure she's supposed to be hilarious. But the actress that played her. So let's see who's not Brandy. I'm gonna assume it's Catherine Hunter. Fucking phenomenal. Like great performance. Probably like, like we're talking anti. My God, antagonist of the year award nominee, right? We're. That's how good this, this mother in law is. She is definitely a villain you love to hate. She is fucking horrible to Brandy. Super racist, super annoying. Like, but so like old person racist. You know what I mean? Where they're like, I don't give a shit, right? I'm like, oh, looks like family gatherings. You know what I mean? Like, it's just so funny. She just doesn't care. And Brandy just really does stand her ground and doesn't put up with bullshit like Brandy can. So I. The guy that sits this, the husband is honestly interchangeable. Take him and take him out. He doesn't matter. It's her and Catherine. So Brandy and Catherine carry this film. I would say watch it. I think this is a must watch for the year. I do think that when it comes to really getting behind someone, you can get behind Brandy in this role and I think you can. Or Belinda and I think you can really hate the mother in law and I give the film credit for that. I don't think it's something that anyone's going to run around and be like, oh my number one film of the year. But it might be some people's top tens. Like it is entertaining and it does flow. Unless you're Phil Ray and it wasn't entertaining and it didn't flow and that's absolutely fine. But I found it good enough and entertaining enough. And it is available for rent on Apple tv, Google Play, Amazon Video, Microsoft Store, Cineplex. It's sitting at a 95 minute runtime. Again, I applaud a movie for knowing the length that it needs to be. And if you like the whole kind of family dynamic go wrong and over the top horrible. A mother in law that's played serious, you will like this. This is, this will be for you. If that does not sound like something that you would like, skip over it and watch something Else. But props to Brandi. She did a great job in this, in this film. Scott: All right.
Scott: Yeah, that is something I'll have to probably try watching at some point because you and Tim both have given it praise now. So I'm curious. And I think Luffy also ended up watching it because of Tim and give. Well, so, yeah, the next one. Oh boy. Heather Powell: Oh, yeah. Scott: The next movie I'm going to talk about is Crack coon with an 88 minute runtime when a synthetically altered street drug is discarded in the woods by a drug dealer during a car chase with police. The fallout proves nothing less than horrific when an innocent raccoon eats it, transforming it into a nightmarish killing machine straight from the bowels of hell. With unsuspecting campers, tourists, and residents of a mountain community all in close proximity to the epicenter, no one is safe from the monsters unrelenting rampage. So you know me, I got, I, I, I am on a mission to watch the drug fueled animal movies and crack Coon. I loved, I've always loved the COVID of it. The COVID just looks ridiculous and awesome. And I watched a trailer and obviously the COVID is not exactly what the movie is. And the raccoon looked absolutely ridiculous. Like a hand puppet. Damn near. And I was on board. I'm like, okay, this looks just stupid enough that I'm gonna be on board. Oh yeah, this was not good. The. Oh, I try and even think how to begin for one, it's one of those where obviously, yes, it's they're purposely trying to make a so bad it's good movie. And most of the time when you try to make a so bad it's good movie, you fail at that aspect and make a so bad it's bad movie because the actors are in on the joke and just the, and the acting is, is not good. The story drags on for way too long. Lingering, long lingering shots of nude women. Like long, uncomfortable lingering shots. Like, am I watching a porn like Skinemax movie or what? What's going on here? Heather Powell: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Heather Powell: All around. Scott: This was just not good. I. How many times you said it's not good? You're like, it's not good, it's just not good. Scott: The only redeeming quality
Scott: is the raccoon puppet and the really low budget gore. But this was just so hard to sit through. I tried, but it was so hard to sit through. Heather Powell: And that happens, right? And anyway,
Heather Powell: I we're watching this for Slumber Party Massacre because one of my co hosts is in and to support her. Right. And you know, it's. Scott: That's why I watched it too, is I want to
Scott: support her. Heather Powell: And you got to start somewhere. You know what I mean?
Heather Powell: These are pet projects, no different than our podcast. It's just people do having fun. So. Scott: Yeah, and I was gonna say, like, I'm not bashed. Like, I mean,
Scott: yeah, what, the acting wasn't good, but I also expect the acting not to be good. So I'm not bashing it. Heather Powell: Oh, yeah, I don't think you're bashing it
Heather Powell: at all. I think you're just being real for people that watch it because you. It's like listening to us. Right? We're not. We're not a. You know, we're not Joe Bob Briggs. Right. So, like, if you want something that's really polished, there's. There's even like. Like the Rotten Roundtable is more polished than we are. Right. Like you just. There's certain podcasts, for example, that are more polished than others. Same with movies. This is a true indie film. Scott: Yep. There will be some
Scott: that love it and some that it just doesn't work. And I'm one of those where it didn't work. Heather Powell: Yeah. Scott: And same with another person that I expected to watch it and wasn't sure what he'd think, but good old Rob Humphries from Slasher Radio, he rated it, I think the exact same rating I gave it of two out of five. Like, wow. And I know he's like me. He watches these silly, low budget drug fueled animal movies and other like, low budget stuff like this. And yeah, he wasn't. Didn't seem like he was a fan either. Heather Powell: Well, you know what? They brought it and that's all
Heather Powell: one can do. And where did you find it? Was it on tv?
Scott: Actually, yeah. Though this one actually, no, it's. It's exclusive on Screenbox or originally was exclusive on Screenbox and is now on Amazon, Apple TV, Google Play and YouTube.
Heather Powell: Okay, well, there you go. If anyone wants to support some indie. This next one I actually thought was really funny. I didn't really get time with this movie. I thought it was really funny. Yes, this movie is called Mr. Crockett, and it's your kid's best friend and your worst nightmare. A single mother thinks she found the key to calming her. Calming her child. A VHS copy. So this takes place in the early 90s of a strange children's program named Mr. Crockett's World. However, a darker, bloodier secret waits to invade their home from the inside. The tape this is a hula film or hulu film, right? Scott: Huluween. Heather Powell: Hulaween. I know I'm gonna be real. I thought this was fucking jokes. The main. Okay, there's a couple of lines I just want to say. One was when one of the mothers get asked if maybe kids are better being raised by Mr. Crockett, our main character goes, fuck no. I thought that was really funny. I ain't no rating Rainbow I thought was really funny. I really enjoyed this film. It kind of felt like the opening scene kind of reminded me of something I would see in Nightmare on Elm street. Three or four with what happens at the dinner table. I don't know if you got that vibe at all. Like, I felt like this whole movie. Scott: Gave me Nightmare on Elm street vibes,
Scott: right? Heather Powell: But it was like it knew it was silly and
Heather Powell: it didn't take itself overly seriously. This is such a simple digestible film. You know, we're not, we're not talking about any award winning films here. It sits at an 88 minute runtime. Dave Bailey gave it three stars. You gave it three and a half. Tim gave it three and a half. Duncan gave it three and a half. I'm sitting at a three and a half too. It's just fun. Like it's just fun. It's predictable as you know, it's not hard to kind of put together, you know, even the twist, it's not. But is it fun? Scott: It's so fun. Heather Powell: I don't know. Scotty, what are your thoughts? Scott: I completely agree. This was just a all around
Scott: fun film. The guy that plays Mr. Crockett does such a good job of being super friendly and happy, but also creepy and menacing. But right. Like. And it's. And he's got like the one liners like Freddy Krueger. He like, he haunts you like Freddy Krueger does. Obviously not through the dreams, but like he has that supernatural aspect to him. Like Freddy Krueger does. And the kid, the main character's kid is so over the top. Ish. Like I watch, right? I was like, go ahead, Crockett, take that child. Take it away from her. Because it's a little shithead kid. But yeah, I just had fun with this. It was. It's obviously not blowing my mind or like one of the greatest films ever made, but it was perfect, easy, fun Halloween. Watch for the Huluween stuff that they do. Heather Powell: And like, even though there is
Heather Powell: some swearing in this and some like deep, like some scary scenes, I think if you had a preteen or like maybe your kids are like Tim Davis's kids would probably love this movie. They would think, think it's hilarious.
Scott: Oh yeah. Heather Powell: You know, like depend know your kid. But I think this is
Heather Powell: a great introductory horror movie for kids. Like, I think it is. I don't know, it just, it just ticks all the boxes for a good time, fun watch. It may be in my rank for comedy horror comedy of the year because I did find it really fucking funny. I'm not gonna lie. The one liners that he said, I laughed out loud. I thought they were really funny. Like there's an opening scene at a dinner table with this like really piece of shit stepdad. And I found everything you would say it really funny. Like I just, I don't know in the reading, I'm not your, I'm not a reading rainbow or whatever it is. I thought it was really funny. Like, I just, I don't know, I, I, I don't. Whoever wrote that in the script basically winked at every single millennial. And I loved it. I loved it and I just, I don't know. This is just a fun good. It's available on Disney and Hulu and I don't know, man, sign up for a trial subscription if you haven't for one of those to watch it because it's definitely like, it's worth it. It's such a fun time, good time watch.
Scott: Yeah, it's like just something you can just turn your brain off and enjoy.
Heather Powell: Yeah, right. Like sometimes life doesn't need to be about serious horror movies. Like the one I'm going to talk about. Scott: Yeah. I haven't
Scott: watched this one, but yeah. Heather Powell: I don't understand why they
Heather Powell: named it this. It's weird.
Scott: Yeah. Heather Powell: I feel dirty even saying
Heather Powell: the name, but the name is Daddy's head. Scott: Yeah. Family is everything. A boy and his stepmom fear for their safety after an eerie creature resembling the boy's recently deceased father visits them. This is a movie about family dynamics and grief. This is a metaphor movie for grief. So if you like metaphors that play out through creatures, you will like this movie. I thought that it was well done, well written, you know, it had a decent enough plot line, but this was a movie that I was like it, it's slow, it takes a lot to get going. There's a lot of like, you hate the decisions that some of the characters make, even though they do make sense. When you think about grief, they make a lot of sense. But this movie is a metaphor for grief. Just like when we had that Blood movie that came out last year. It was a metaphor for addiction. This is like rinse and repeat now. Metaphor for grief. So if you enjoy your metaphoric movies that are, you know, with a creature feature, I think you will dig this. Most people have given it a three star rating. Tim and Matt Wood have both given it three stars. I think that's fair. I probably sat around three stars too, because I do think it's a quality film. And again, I give Shutter Shudder credit because this is a unique horror film. Like, when you're on shudder, you're not a basic bitch horror fan. You know, Mr. Crockett is like fun times. Like, I would show that to my friends and they'd be like, ah, this is hilarious. And it's easy to watch something like this film does revile. Does require a lot more attention. It does kind of, you know, speak to the more the horror fans that want to dig a little deeper into their horror. And I give Shudder credit for that, like, completely. They always bring something that's different, something that's new, but it may not be for everyone. That being said, if you have the shutty, you may want to check it out if what I said sounds of interest to you. So it's on all the shutters and also including on all the AMC options. So if you have the subscription, check it out. Scott: Yeah, because this one, I watched the trailer and I'm going,
Scott: all right, the little tease of the creature looks really creepy. Definitely a metaphor for grief. I can already see that from the trailer. I'm not sure if this is one I'm going to bother with or not. I haven't decided. Heather Powell: I don't think you need to rush out and watch it,
Heather Powell: Scott. I don't think it's going to be in your talk top 10. But if you get around to it, like, you got some. Maybe Some, huh? You don't have a lot of time. But if there's a night where the kids are out and they're at the grandparents or something and you guys want to just cram out, I would say it's quality, but I wouldn't say it's a must watch for this year. Scott: Right. All right. Well, speaking of must watches,
Scott: though. Heather Powell: Oh, yes, yes, yes. The next one we're going to talk about is the substance coming in with 141 minute runtime, if you follow the instructions. What could go wrong? A fading celebrity decides to use a black market drug, a. Excuse me, a cell replicating substance that temporarily creates a younger, better version of herself. So, yeah, speaking of Metaphors. This is obviously like, a metaphor for especially women in. Definitely in, like, the fame industry, whether it be, like, Hollywood influencer stuff like that, about fear of aging and losing in there. Like, basically losing the looks and. Or your looks are fading as you age, at least through the eyes of producers and stuff like that. And maybe even seeing, like, seeing that through your own eyes. As a woman, I can. Like, I'm not. Obviously not a woman, so I can't attest, but I'm. That's kind of the message I got here. But I have to say, for one, it was amazing to see Demi Moore back because I don't remember the last time I seen her in a movie. And she does such a fucking fantastic job in this. Like, she just nails her role. And, like, she's just such a great actress. And I can't remember her younger version's name. Let me look that up real quick. Margaret Quaily. She also does such a freaking amazing job. But, yeah, this is basically just a what would you do scenario to kind of keep your looks and this substance creates a younger version of yourself that comes out of your body but has to go back within seven days. And it's a very interesting story and very body horror. Heather Powell: Yeah.
Heather Powell: If you didn't know, you'd be like, a Cronenberg made this.
Scott: Yeah. Heather Powell: Like, that would be your first assumption,
Heather Powell: right. Scott: Yeah. Because for one, this movie is. I will give a heads up.
Scott: This movie has not shy at all about nudity, shows everything. And definitely not shy about showing uncomfortable aging and up body horror by the end. Heather Powell: Yeah. Like, we're talking
Heather Powell: special effects makeup. This is. This movie is up for an academy, from what I understand. Scott: Oh, nice. Heather Powell: Demi Morris for her performance in this. Scott: Yeah. Heather Powell: Though they call it a fucking thriller because the Cowards can't call it a horror movie. Scott: Course. But. Or science fiction is probably what we'll call it. Which it is. But it's also a horror film, I. Scott: Think, especially that third act. This is a top five contender of the year. This will be people's number one. This will be people's number two. Number three, number four, number five. Like, it's. Or. Or I don't know, maybe people hate it, but this movie is fucking body horror done right. That's body horror. And talking about image and society done right. Scott: Yes, 100%.
Scott: And, like. Because I was talking with Tim Davis about it, and, like, I was like, you love this movie. It was amazing. Love the story and everything. And he had some plot holes, and he ended up doing a spoiler review about it on his show, Dummies of Horror. Plug, Plug, plug. But I. I see the plot holes that he pointed out and I'm going, yeah, but I think I was able to just easily overlook those because even he said he was easily able to overlook them and just enjoy the movie. I'm like, yeah, those were not plot holes. To me. Those were just like questions I had. Heather Powell: Yeah. And I think also the concept is so
Heather Powell: out there. It's like infinity pool. Scott: Yeah. Heather Powell: You know what I mean? Like, there's certain things that you kind of go, this isn't really based in reality. It's taking a social concept and putting body horror to it. But it's the performances, it's everything. How it was directed, the makeup, the flow side characters that provided comic relief when needed. You know, I. Scott: This is. Heather Powell: This is a fucking solid film. This is how you make a good horror sci fi movie, hands down. Right. Can't believe a Cronenberg didn't make it. That's the only thing that I'm shocked about, to be honest with you. Scott: Who was the director?
Scott: Corally Fargiat. Heather Powell: Nice. Scott: Also a woman director. Awesome. Oh, she did. Not my favorite movie, but she did that movie Revenge.
Heather Powell: Oh, okay, cool. Scott: But yeah, this was definitely a
Scott: much better film than Revenge for me. Heather Powell: Yeah. No, I would agree.
Heather Powell: I think this is a movie like, I don't think Revenge was in a lot of people's top fives. This, you know. Scott: Yeah. Heather Powell: This will be on every horror list guaranteed at the end of the year. If not, like number 10, it will be somewhere. Scott: Oh, 100%. So, yeah. But yeah,
Scott: this one is a high, high, high recommend. Where is it available? Let's see. Heather Powell: Probably available to rent everywhere. Right. Scott: It's Mubi, which I have no idea what Mubi is. Apple tv, Amazon Video, and Fandango at home. Heather Powell: There you
Heather Powell: go. So it's worth it. You know what? Premium. Premium movie from a premium podcast. Scott: Damn straight. Heather Powell: A not so premium movie. And I knew we were in bad for this because there was a lot of promotion of it. And that usually means it's not so great. Never let go.
Scott: Don't worry, I won't. Heather Powell: 2024.
Heather Powell: One touch is all it takes as an evil takes over the world beyond their front door step. One touch in this movie will bore you. The only protection for a mother and her twin sons is her. They're not twins. Twins, anyway. That's fine. Their house and their family. Sorry. The only protection for a mother and her twin sons is their house and their family protective bond. Alexandra Aja.
Scott: Directed this film, which had me excited and then I started hearing people's thoughts. Heather Powell: Here's the
Heather Powell: thing. If you have never seen a horror movie before in your life, or you're a mediocre horror fan, you, like, maybe have watched a couple, you're probably going to enjoy this film and think the concept's really unique and different. If you watched. If you're listening to this podcast and you watched a fair amount of horror movies in your time, you're probably going to find the story quite repetitive. It deals with mental health, it deals with supernatural, it deals with family dynamics of isolation, horror. And it has a dog. And it has a dog and it's fine. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad film. Like, I'm not going to sit here and rip it apart and say that it's bad or it's not good. It's actually paced well. The plot builds on each other. Well, the three main actors in this are good. The concept of what's happening around them is well done. It's just, you know, if you've watched a lot of horror movies in your time, and I mean, like, watch the variety, you're gonna find this average. You know, Tim gave it three stars, Rob the Hump gave it two and a half. I think that's fair. This is not a bad movie, but it's very much all been done before. Acting's good. It's at 101 minute runtime. If you go into this within the first five minutes, you're going to be like, I've seen this and I can probably predict how it will end, right? But if you have somebody maybe in your life who, you know, doesn't watch a lot of horror movies, it will be entertaining for you and for them to watch it together. That's my best suggestion. So if what I said sounds interesting to you, it is available on Apple TV, Google Play, Amazon Video, YouTube and Cineplex in Canada. If that is something you would like to do now, I cannot wait, Scott, because I have refused to watch this movie. Now, I did hear from my friends James and Helen of the Rested Ghoul Cafe in Gateshead, England, that they liked this and they liked the ending. So I am really excited they have not seen the original. Scott: Okay, that will. So I am excited to hear what you have to say. Scott: All right. So I decided
Scott: to watch the Speak no Evil American remake of the, if I want to, if I remember correctly, Danish film that was on Shutter. So I'll read the synopsis real quick. When an American Family, of course, is invited to spend the weekend at the idyllic country estate of a charming British family. They're befriended on vacation. What begins as a dream holiday soon warps into a snarled psychological nightmare. And it's got a runtime of an hour and ten minutes and stars James McAvoy and Mackenzie Davis. And that's all the really, truly recognizable faces. I think there are some others, but those are the two main ones. So. Yeah. Did you like the Danish original film, Heather? Heather Powell: Oh, you know, I did. It was in my
Heather Powell: top 10. Scott: Then you are going to be annoyed
Scott: about this one. Heather Powell: I was annoyed
Heather Powell: by the trailer because, yeah, I was. Scott: Well, like, one thing about
Scott: Speak New Evil is it's the original is it's a movie that frustrates and angers you so much because you just. Heather Powell: Yes. Scott: The couple is just too nice and they do not fight back like they should. And it frustrates the hell out of you. In this one, it's kind of the same thing with the whole, you know, couple not wanting to really fight back and trying to be polite, but. Heather Powell: But they're Americans and no one actually buys that they're
Heather Powell: American. Scott: But also they do fight back by the
Scott: end and you get a happy ending that just completely defeats the purpose of what this movie was trying, what the original film was trying to say. And a lot of parts where it was just like that safe, Americanized version of a movie. And it just. It's a. If you are a fan of the original, it's kind of a just roll your eyes, slap in the face. Like, of course you would do this America. Of course you would do this American remake of a foreign film that actually has the balls to do something, you don't have the balls to do it. The only really good thing I will say about this movie is James McAvoy's performance as the villain husband. He is. Does such a good job. Heather Powell: Yeah, he looks
Heather Powell: like the highlight of this film. I'm not gonna lie, 100%.
Scott: Like, he does. Amazing. It's kind of worth it to watch his performance, but it's gonna. Where the original movie frustrated you because it made you feel frustrated, the American version is going to frustrate you because of being too chicken shit just like the couple to pull the punches. Heather Powell: Okay, that's fair.
Heather Powell: So I guess if. If you've seen the original and you really liked it, maybe skip this one. Scott: Yeah, I'm not
Scott: going to like it, I don't think. Heather Powell: Okay. And if you haven't seen the original
Heather Powell: and you like Happy Endings, watch this one? Scott: Yeah. Okay. Where is it available? Is it still on demand? Scott: Let's see. I think, yeah, I think it's. It's still just on demand because
Scott: it was theatrical release originally. So, yeah, it's available on Apple TV, Google Play, Amazon Video, YouTube, and. Yep, that's it. Heather Powell: You know, it's funny, I. When I was in England,
Heather Powell: I saw that it was playing there and I just was like. And usually, like, we would go see a horror movie. I was like, no, I can't justify paying money for this. Like, I can't. Like, I just, just. The original is just so good. I know already from the trailers. I'm mad. I. I don't wanna force myself. So I'm glad that you did the dirty work for me. Thank you. Scott: Yeah.
Scott: Because Erica was having a good time watching me because I'm just going, you chicken. American remake. Not even gonna do this. Heather Powell: I know,
Heather Powell: right? Well, the first one's just so. The original is just so classic. But you know what? That happens, right? Like, you can't always. Sometimes. And that's fine if there's people out there that like it. Hey, man, rock on. We're not criticizing. Enjoy what you enjoy, do you? But it's just. For me, I. I think the original just has such character to it that Unless you're going to kind of follow that same plot line, I don't know, I. I have a hard time. But.
Scott: Yep. I think you would be frustrated as hell. Heather Powell: Yeah, I. I know I would be, actually. So.
Heather Powell: Well, move on to another Netflix film. So Netflix is really like. I don't know, they just like had movie babies this month. They just decided to release everything. Scott: So this is.
Scott: They're like, hey, it's October. This is when we'll release our horror. Heather Powell: Yeah.
Heather Powell: Which is smart. Good job on you Netflix. So outside is a 2024 film. You can't keep out what's already inside. A family retreats to an isolated farm during a zombie outbreak. But years of painful secret takes their toll as they navigate a desolated world. All right. If you are looking for what real emotions come out during a zombie outbreak, this movie is for you. This movie is not so much a focus on the zombies, but more focus of family dynamics. I do think you should watch this. Great news. It's on Netflix so you can watch the dub version. And I don't think it's going to take away from it, but I do think the family dynamics of this movie makes it worth watching. Scott: Okay. Heather Powell: Tim Davis gave it a three stars. Not a lot of other People have watched it yet it's something different. Where, you know, the last movie I talked about, Never Let Go, is something we've seen before. This is zombies done differently and it's a different focus. It is an international film, but because it's on Netflix, it is dubbed. So if you're doing other things or you just prefer, you know, not reading subtitles, you can watch it dubbed. I really thoroughly enjoyed this. This might be my favorite film that's come out on Netflix this year. I think it's, you know, I don't think it'll be my top 10. But when I think about our awards and I think about something that is different, that stands out, you know, And Netflix has always been known for bringing really good international films and this is no exception. So I'm not going to give away too much on it. I will just say if you want to think about how a family that's already maybe having interrelationship issues with their marriage, their kids, secrets that come out that could conflict and choices that people make when they're in that situation, like you got no other option, is a really good. It's a really good examination of that. That. So if you have Netflix, I do recommend it and it's called Outside. Scott: All right,
Scott: good to know. Heather Powell: And then I'll do the next one. Right. Because you don't haven't
Heather Powell: seen that one, right? Scott: Yep. Heather Powell: So this one I kind of watched on a whim because I was just. I saw it and I do like the whole social media horror. And this is what this one is. I'm actually a hard time opening it on my laptop. Here we go. So C, this is a South Asian film. The tagline is you think you're in control of your life. Think again. Nelly and Joe are the perfect influencer couple. But when he cheats on her, she turns to an AI app to erase him from her life until it takes control. This is very light on the horror. It's definitely more of a thriller slash mystery, but it has that kind of social media horror to it. I enjoyed it. I thought the whole kind of play upon. If you could get an app that could relate erase somebody from your life, what would that look like? And it's not supernatural. Like this isn't a supernatural thing. It's more of a what happens when you try to erase a digital's footstep and it goes into your real life? It's not going to be for everybody. It's a lot of plot development and it's a very much South Asian based But I thought it was interesting. So if you like really a lot of relationship social media stuff, this will be for you. If not, skip it. It is very, very light on the horror. Probably more of a thriller slash mystery slash drama. But I thought the main young lady, Anna Pandey, was quite good. She had some really good lines that made me chuckle and some things that made me be like, fuck, that's a good point to think about. And her and what happens to her is probably pretty accurate of what would happen to someone in a situation like this. So I thought that that was well done. Again, not a must watch, but if you're looking for something a little different about social media and what apps can do, I would recommend this one here. Scott: All right,
Scott: good to know. I'll definitely have to look for this one then. So. Yeah, I guess the next one you have not seen. Heather Powell: No, I'm actually just
Heather Powell: started it though. Scott: Oh, okay. So yeah. The movie
Scott: I'm going to talk about is azrael, directed by El Katz. Run time of 86 minutes. Many years after the Rapture, among the survivors, some are driven to renounce their sin of speech. In a world where no one speaks, a devout female hunts down a young woman who has escaped her imprisonment. Recaptured by its ruthless leaders, Azrael is due to be sacrificed to pass classifying ancient evil deep within the surrounding wilderness. So this is basically like a quiet place in a way where they, they just. There is no dialogue besides one person, which I believe has like about a minute or two scene where he's speaking, but I think it's in Spanish and there's no subtitles. But the star, Samara Weaving and very interesting concept and I will say that kind of frustrating in a way with where the story goes, with the character decisions made by Israel. But the performance alone by Samara Weaving makes this extremely memorable because for one, for not being able to speak, you got to be very expressive through looks and your eyes and whatnot. And Samara Weaving does such a freaking awesome job of showing what she's feeling, how she's feeling and you know, what she's seeing through her eyes and her facial expressions. And like it's incredible because like she's always had that like the very iconic facial expressions, like throughout the movies she's been in before. But this like, you know, that's all you have to go off of is her facial expression and she nails it and it's definitely got some good gore, some good creepy moments. There was something missing from it and I think it's more just like the character decisions and a little more explanation besides just what was done in the synopsis.
Heather Powell: That's fair. Scott: I. Exactly. That's all I can think of really. Because it still
Scott: stands out. Still. I thought it was really good. Like I gave it a 7 out of 10 out of 5. Like, still definitely worth a watch. Like I say, especially for Ezreal's performance or Samara Weaving's performance alone. I believe Craig Wooten was the one that recommended it to you and I on our page. Like he said, this was a really good one that no one's talking about. Heather Powell: Yeah. Scott: And I think this will have varying effects depending on who's watching it because, yeah, I'm seeing everything from two stars to four. Heather Powell: Four and a half stars sounds
Heather Powell: about right. It sounds like very much a personal preference film. I'll have to see how I go. So far, what you've described is what I'm seeing. I'm about 20 minutes in. Scott: Okay, perfect. Yeah. This is available to
Scott: stream on amc, then is available to buy on Apple tv, Google Play, Amazon Video and Fandango. Heather Powell: Awesome. But I'd say it's definitely worth a watch. Heather Powell: Awesome. Well, it's good. Good that we
Heather Powell: got some good ones we're bringing out. So with the Halloween season, Hula came out with another one or carved which is ripe for revenge on Halloween 1993. The 90s are now becoming like the throwback. Right? Two years after a deadly nuclear spill, the staff of a historical Pioneer village attraction must work together to survive the attack of a monstrous killer pumpkins on the side of the pumpkin set on revenge. If you like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or any kind of vegetable or fruit coming to life and causing drama, you're going to like this movie. It's a very, very simple concept. Killer pumpkins. We don't get more simplistic than that. I found it entertaining. I think I found it a little bit more entertaining than Scotty did. I. I thought the runtime was fine. I do think they kind of dragged out the third act a little bit, but there was enough comical things in it. It sets up like your typical fall fair history of the town. Pumpkins come for revenge. And. And here we go again. Great for kids if you're looking at getting kids into horror. A simple watch. It's sitting at like a. What is it here? A 94 minute runtime. What you see is what you get here, people. It's about pumpkins coming to life. Scotty, anything you want to add or your thoughts? Scott: Yeah,
Scott: this movie blew its load right in the first 20 minutes and then became a chore to watch after that for me.
Heather Powell: Oh, it's too bad. Scott: Like the setup for what
Scott: was going on and then Pumpkin Massacre, that should have been left for like the third act and built up some character development beforehand. But no, they blew that all within the first like 20 to 30 minutes and then just stumbled after that. Like, I didn't like any of the characters. Just couldn't care less. And I was starting to play on my phone more and more and more as I kept going. And I'm going, oh my God, will this movie end already? Like, like, it's like it's been going forever now. It just. This should have been like 20 minutes shorter. Like, I just was not a fan of this one. I originally gave it a three star, but it's as it sat with me, it's down to two star. Like it just.
Heather Powell: Oh, it's too bad. Still at a three star for me. I had a fun enough time with it, but I do think it drags a little bit. I agree.
Scott: Yeah. Like, I like, I say if they would have just built up characters and kind of gave us some horror throughout and then the big event at the end, that would have been awesome. But I just like. Like they blew it all in the beginning and then just didn't know where to go from there is what it. Heather Powell: Felt like, you know,
Heather Powell: and that's fair. It's a fair criticism. Scott: And I
Scott: don't know if you noticed this, but it has. The reporter in this was Mr. Crockett. Heather Powell: Oh, yeah. Shit, I didn't realize that.
Heather Powell: That's a good point. Scott: Yeah. Heather Powell: So funny. Scott: So he was in two Hulaween movies. Hula Ween, huh? Well, this is available on Hula and Disney plus if anyone wants to check it out. We've kind of passed the season, but I know if you got kids at home, they may enjoy this. I liked it a little more, Scott, but I agree, like a 2. 2 star to 3 star rating is where most people will probably fall in this one. Yeah. The next one, I. So this movie had a lot of potential to be a really interesting film. And it kind of just got weird. It was something really different and then it got odd. This is called Ghost Game 2024. A daring couple's Internet challenge turned turns deadly as they trespass into a haunted house. Facing sinister evil lurking within his walls. As part of an Internet challenge to live undetected in a stranger's home. A daring couple targets an infamous haunted house and endures a series of chilling incidences as they witness the family descend into madness. So basically they break into a home and this family moves in and the home's haunted. So they watch these ghosts with this family and chaos occurs. It's a dead central dread central film. It's interesting, I'll give it this. The concept is very interesting and different. It's definitely something that I haven't seen before. So I give it credit for that. Matt woods gave it two and a half stars. I wonder what he wrote. I'm curious. Fright fest film number two, interesting concept. For me, it felt like a bit of a jumbled mess. Yeah, I would agree. Like there were loads of ideas thrown together and some of the decisions in the film didn't make any sense. It's not the worst thing I've seen this year. No, that would be me meant that would be the worst thing you've seen this year. And I won't read the rating because it's a spoiler. But yeah, I think he sums it up really well. I will give them credit. This was something different, but it does seem jumbled and maybe they should have just kind of worked through someone reading through the screenplay before they made it and asked does this flow in make sense? But I think sometimes once you get into filming a movie and it's a little more low budget, you don't have the time to turn around and think otherwise, whether it makes sense or not. Scott: Right. Heather Powell: So it's out there. I don't think it's a must watch for anybody, but I don't know if you're looking at making your own film one day. This might be a good movie to watch to kind of see how you could do something with a different plotline, but maybe smooth it out a little bit more. It's available on Amazon, Apple TV, Google Play, YouTube and Microsoft Store if anyone is interested. Oh my God. But it was better than this boring film. How theme park workers live.
Scott: I don't know. Heather Powell: Do you want to talk about it first? Yep, I'll bring it in. Heather Powell: Okay. Scott: So we're talking about haunt season. It's got an 81 minute run time tagline is enter if you date. A masked maniac targets cast members at a suburban Halloween haunt attraction, turning their staged injuries into gruesome, gruesome real life horrors. As the terror escalates, the line between performance and reality blur. Yeah, this was about 80 minute run. 81 minute run time. I'd say it felt like about 50 minutes a movie and half hour of montages of how these haunt actors party afterwards. And Walk through streets and do all this other stupid. That was unnecessary.
Heather Powell: And have conversations about patriarchy and misogyny and like, I am all about the patriarchy misogyny. That. And even I was like, can we please just fucking move on and get back to the haunt? I found the dialogue painfully boring. Scott: Yeah, the dialogue
Scott: was just awful. The, I guess you'd say reveal at the end was. I could care less at that point. The kills were. Nah, nothing to write home about. It was just kind of had a almost like sepia tone to the whole entire film. So it just had like this like yellowish quality to the picture. And I don't know if that was to kind of make it look like an older grind housy style or what, but. Heather Powell: No, I don't know. I thought because they didn't have any
Heather Powell: money and they couldn't get a good camera. Scott: Yeah, I was gonna say it was
Scott: just like, it felt like an ugly filter they put on that was unnecessary. And yeah, I didn't care about like the backstage shenanigans of these haunt characters. Like, that sounds like it'd be a fun concept for a horror film. But it, they don't make it fun at all. And it just feels. And just once again, for 81 minutes, it felt like it was dragging on and then adding in the dumbass montages for some freaking reason, which, well, let's be honest, it was filler to make it a full length movie. That's why they added it. Heather Powell: And look, say what you will
Heather Powell: about the Mousetrap, but that was a better, more entertaining film than this movie. At least there were kills in the Mousetrap and it moved. You didn't get background. That didn't matter. Scott: Well, there was kills in this movie. They just weren't
Scott: memorable. Heather Powell: No. And like, at least in the Mousetrap,
Heather Powell: they used the arcade effectively. Scott: Right? Right. Like this was just. Oh. I said to Scott, I'm like, I hate watching it at this point because I just want to finish it because I like, like Haunts and I want to see more of the haunt. But it's like, watch Haunt. That's a much superior, better film about Haunts. Even Mickey's barking away and it's like, yeah, yeah, mama, yeah.
Scott: Erica and I were both hate watching it. By the end, we're just like, oh, get this over with. Heather Powell: Like, it was so boring.
Heather Powell: Anyway, we're not gonna talk. I don't know. It's available on all the streaming services to rent it. I'm not. I don't recommend this at all. I really found that it was really, really boring. There's not one person I would recommend it to. Sorry. To the person that wrote this. It just wasn't for me.
Scott: Yeah. Heather Powell: You know, there's. And that's sad when Scott
Heather Powell: and I like Scott and I will rent it on YouTube if you really want to support them. All right. Last couple ones that we're going to talk about is Big Man. So Shutter probably saw this and was like, oh, no. We learned our lesson from earlier this year. Okay. Scott: Oh, no. He's always closer than you think. For centuries and across cultures, parents have warned their children of the legendary Bag Man. I don't think that's a thing. Who snatches innocent children and stuffs them into his vile, rotting bag, never to be seen again. Badger McKee narrowly escaped such an encounter as a boy, which left him with lasting scars throughout his adulthood. Now Patrick's childhood.
Scott: Did you just say Badger McGee? Heather Powell: Patrick McGee. Scott: Oh, I was gonna say Badger McGe. Iggy. What the fuck type of name is that?
Heather Powell: No, Patrick. Sorry. Which left him with lasting scars throughout his adulthood. Now Patrick's childhood tormentor has returned and is threatening the life of his wife Katrina and son Jake. You've seen any movie about someone with a bag on their head like Baghead, You've seen Big Man. It's like they were going to call this Big Head and they were like, oh, fuck, let's call it Bag Man. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Bag Man. Bag Man. Now, it's a different. Different plotline, but the same kind of thing. It was an easy enough watch to put on and watch. I will say that it. It was. It was simple. I. I didn't have to worry about doing a lot of thinking. That was great. But is this something that I would say to people? Make sure you go out and you watch Bagman. No, it's not. It's a 92 minute runtime. Let's see if anyone else has watched it. No one. Just me. So that's great. It's all good. Tim, you don't need to watch Bagman unless you're really trying to pad your numbers and you want to watch Bagman. But we've seen this before. Four core done not well. Basically, evil creature comes, seals, children, ultimate sacrifice made. End of film summed it up for everybody. We can all skip over Big man, but for some reason. Good to know you really liked Baghead and you like these kind of movies. It is available on Apple TV, Google Play, Amazon Video, Cineplex and YouTube, if you like that. Folk horror and the idea of kids being stolen all the time. Now, Scott is going to list through a bunch of movies shortly that he doesn't remember, so that tells you how good they all were. But I will finish off with another Netflix movie that is actually pretty decent. Don't move. You can run, but you can't. You can hide, but you can't run. A grieving woman in a secluded forest encounters a killer who injects her with a paralytic drug. As her body shuts down, her fightful survival begins. This is a very interesting survival film. It is very similar set up to other films we have seen before in terms of a survival movie. But I would argue that the characters, decisions made in this movie makes a lot more sense. There's a more realistic conversation that occurs with a police officer. I would say Finn Witterock, who plays the antagonist, is quite good. I think this movie moves quick. I think it's. I think it's a good little survival film. I, I did enjoy it. I. I thought it, it flowed well. I thought it was a different enough concept. It took a concept and it kind of molded it a little bit to make it a little more entertaining. This is a three and a half star from Tim Davis, a three and a half star from Kate Pollock, and a three and a half star from Duncan McLeish. I gotta agree with them. Netflix, you fucking brought it. This is a decent movie that you picked up that was entertaining quick, was in the 92 minute runtime and a great little survival flick. You got Netflix. I recommend checking out this film. Scott: All right,
Scott: awesome. Good to know. And yeah, it sounds like I got some Netflix watches. Heather Powell: Yeah, definitely. Netflix has actually brought it this time. Good to hear. All right, so yeah, like Heather said, I got a list of movies. I'm not even going to read their synopsis. I'm just gonna kind of list them off quickly because we've been at this for a while now too. And these ones, I literally even reading the synopsis, cannot remember a damn thing about it. Heather Powell: That's hilarious. So it's either that when they're like that, that means they're two and a half out of five stars for me. Like right in the middle of the road. Very forgettable. Nothing horrible, nothing great. So, yep, the movies are Spin the Bottle, All Hallows Eve, Inferno thing. That's like. Heather Powell: Oh, I watched Spin the Bottle too. I think.
Heather Powell: Yeah, it sucked. I turned it off. Scott: Yeah. Heather Powell: Yeah. Scott: I was like. Because I think
Scott: you told me you turned it off. Heather Powell: Yeah. Scott: You shall not sleep tonight. All I remember is that was an anthology ad that couldn't remember the stories underground. Yeah, that thing that. I think that was found footage. And then Name the Demon, which I also think was found footage. But yeah, I for the life of me cannot remember a goddamn thing about him. So in my personal opinion, those are ones that no one needs to worry about watching.
Heather Powell: What is your watch right now? Like, what are you at on letterbox for this year? Scott: I am at 102. Oh, I'm at 147. Scott: Yeah. I was gonna say,
Scott: yeah, you have blown past me. And I'm like, like, yeah, I'll be happy if I make it to 125, 130, which is roughly where I said I wanted to be by the end. Heather Powell: Well, I'll be real. As we hit November here,
Heather Powell: it's slowing down. There's a couple of theoretical watches I do want to see. Terrifier three, one of them. Not for all two.
Scott: Yes. Mile two. I definitely want to see. Heather Powell: Right. So there
Heather Powell: will be so. And who knows what shutter will drop between now and then, you know, But I definitely think it is slowing down. I imagine I'll be probably around the 155, 160 mark by the time we finish off this year. And that's fine. I think that's enough to have an opinion. I think even over 100. So lot to have an opinion, to be honest with you, in terms of older watches or other watches, as I put here. I finally got to watch the Boys in the Trees. I'll be right back. I'll talk about Boys in the Trees while you're gone. So this is actually a pretty epic film because it's a film that Scott and I have really tried to watch that is really hard to find here in North America. You either have to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a Blu Ray for it or not watch it. So I was thrilled when I opened up my laptop when I was in England, and of course I was able to get the shutter for the uk and I saw the Boys in the Trees was there. So I watched it. And I watched it with my friend Mark, who I kind of talked about before that. He watched the VHS film with me and he also watched this one. I had told him that this was a film that I had been searching for for a long time. It's an Australian film. He's like, well, this is really British sounding. I'm like, I know, but it's Australian. Because obviously they were once a British colony. And I will say I really did enjoy it. I'm glad I watched it. It was a heavier film than what I was prepared for. It definitely had slower parts in it and really builds on the relationship between the two young people in it. It's definitely a film that I do recommend and I think if you have the opportunity to get your hands on it, whether it's through Shudder, which hopefully it will be released here in Canada and United States, North America on Shutter, it's definitely worth it. But it is very dark and I know Mark had a similar sentiment to this. It is very much based on character development. And he also found the ending kind of depressing. Like I did too. The ending, though, not a surprise as you move through the movie, is quite sad. It's quite fucking sad, actually. And I did enjoy the kind of social message behind it, but it was not what I suspected. But I will say this is a watch if you can locate it. I was just saying, Scott, that this movie was a lot sadder than I intended. Both Mark and I found it quite depressing, the ending, but it's well done. The acting's good, the relationship between the two boys is strong. And I will say that if somehow we get it in North America, I would recommend you and Erica watch it. It is definitely a good film because. Scott: I think it's the only place
Scott: I'd seen it available was itunes and I don't have an itunes account anymore. Heather Powell: So, yeah, yeah, I would wait. I'm hoping eventually
Heather Powell: Shudder picks it up. I was just lucky that I was in the UK and the UK Shutter had it, so I was able to watch it. But. And it was a long goal. And I think also it didn't help that I kind of built myself up to watch this movie. Like, I was like, oh my God, the boys are the dreams, right? Like here by chance. And I got why they called it the Boys in the Trees. As I said, it's a very emotional film, but a very well done film. So I do recommend it to other people. Do you have an older watch or an other watch or whatever that you want to add?
Scott: I was just looking to double check and it's one that I cannot remember as well and called Dead Body. So. And basically throughout October I was just watching stuff I've seen before that is fair. Heather Powell: Well, I will pop into. I do not have a book because I was. I've slowed down on reading because of. I've been taking walks at work now. And that's cut into how much reading I was doing when I read a physical book. And I've been listening to 31 Days of Horror with Tim through his podcast every single day. So my it slowed down on my audiobook listening to so I didn't get a chance to finish two of the books I'm in the middle of. But by the time I record next time I should have one or two books to talk about. Heather Powell: I was actually going to ask you about
Heather Powell: books after we went over the Fangoria Chainsaw Awards, so that's good to know. So the only other thing we will talk about before Scott skips off to his Halloween party is the Fangoria Chainsaw Awards. So I am a big fan of the Fangoria Chainsaw Awards. I watch them every year. Have you watched them, Scott? Scott: Over the years I watched, I think it was last
Scott: year's or the year before and I think that was about the only time I've watched it. Heather Powell: I vote and I follow.
Heather Powell: I'm a big, big fan. So this award show was great because I'm gonna give a spoiler. David Dushnin won for his performance in Late Night with the Devil, which is definitely well deserved. Skinmarink won for Best New Director, which Scott and I have our opinions on that film, but, you know, it is what it is. And I will say that they had a variety of films that were nominated this year. Infested, for example, was nominated for Creature Feature, which I was quite happy to see. I think it deserved that nomination. I saw movies that were nominated that were not just low hanging fruit. Like the year that the Black Phone won everything. I was kind of like there were other films that were better than the Black. Right. But this I will say, you know, I was really happy to see that there were a variety of films that were brought to it. Like was it Blackish? That was the comedy was nominated for a comedy. And I believe that director won for. I think it was like first time directing like a musical or comedy or a horror comedy or something like that. Like it was something or screenplay writing or something like that. It was the same screenplay. He wrote it and also directed it. The only criticism I have of the Fangoria Chainsaw Awards is please stop doing the cheesy themes with it. The theme this year was found footage. And you have a couple of percenters that are actors and they can roll with it or directors and they can roll with it. And they do get some pretty well known people shouts out to the Godzilla minus one movie. They actually sent in a video in Japanese thanking for an award that they won and had it translated. But the whole cheesy shit that they do, please cut that out for next year. Like just give us the fucking awards. Just go through the awards and maybe talk about the films. There was a little bit of that that they did, which I really appreciated, but. But some of it was a little hyper. Cheese. Cheese. So if you watch, watch at your own risk. But I will say it was nice to see international films getting shouts out. It was nice to see films that were not just low hanging theater watch films being presented. I do believe Don't Speak was up. The original was up for an award as well. I think it was on for international film. Like that's what I'm saying. It was stuff like that that was really, really good quality. So it's on shutter. It's an hour and a half. Fast forward through some of the cheesy shit. The awards are worth it. I did really enjoy it. And I guess that's a wrap on episode 100.
Scott: Yeah, it was a meaty episode. I mean, it's going on over two hours. So we had a lot of movies to talk about, hence why we decided to push back the special thing that we were gonna do till later. Because, yeah, we had a lot to talk about. Heather Powell: We did
Heather Powell: have a lot. We'll try to do at least three or four more shows, more episodes before the end of the year, depending on what we watch. We'll see how busy we are and probably when we get to a reasonable list, we'll record. So it's not a two hour extravaganza though. This used to be what we do. We used to do three hour, three and a half hour shows. It's got her and I. Like we have time for that. We get in and out. This is a committed relationship now with our horror fans. In and out. We're banging with our shirts on, people. We're not even taking that off. We're just getting it done and leaving. So thank you. Kind of not wrong, right? So Scotty is off to his Halloween party tonight. I am off to a friend's place. But we will continue to watch the horror and the good times and see what else comes out. And joins us in 2025. For the love of. Love of God, Blumhouse, stop making shitty films come 2025. Please, for the love of God, like, please don't do it anymore. We are proud members of the Legion Podcasts Network. You. They have a Patreon that has a bunch of cool on it. They have giveaways and special episodes and they support Scott and I and they put us on YouTube and we could not do this without them. So if you are not a member of Legion, Patreon, after a hundred episodes, what do you have to say to the people? Scott, it's been 100 episodes. And if you're not a member of the Legion Podcasts network, what are you waiting for?
Scott: What are you waiting for? What are you waiting for? Join us.
Heather Powell: Join us, motherfuckers. And support Legion. They support all the little underdog shows. Like we were at what we were just little Heather and Scotty scared to talk horror movies. And now we're just coming in and sharing our unsolicited opinions with everybody. So thank you to Legion. Thank you to all our friends in the podcasting community that have supported Scott and I from the beginning, that have encouraged us, that have been kind to us. It means more than you realize. And I'm so grateful that we've met so many awesome people. Really, really grateful for that.
Scott: Yeah, I couldn't agree more. It's been amazing. Love the fact that we've been able to do this for so long. Love the fact that we actually hit this huge of a milestone. Heather Powell: Huge. Scott: The fact that people listen to us and support us and yeah, like everything Heather said and all the friends we made, that's been a journey. All of our lives have changed in the many years that we've been doing this, and it's just incredible to be able to continue doing this, even if it has slowed down a but.
Heather Powell: And many of Scream movies have been made. Scott: Yeah. Scream movies as well. Scream movies and shitty AI films. Can we please stop?
Scott: I'm begging you. Heather Powell: And if we get a horror movie about a
Heather Powell: hot tub next year from Blum House, I'm out. I'm out. That's it. Blum House. You have a haunted hot tub or sauna? I'm done. Done. No more.
Scott: Yeah, thank you all. And see, I guess we can just wrap this up because I gotta get ready to go. Heather Powell: Yeah. Look, here comes Erica with her sexy outfit
Heather Powell: on. Oh, yeah. Wow. Booty shorts girl. Oh, she heard me. Oh, she knows. All right. Scott's gotta leave with his sexy fiance. You know, Scott, you're not gonna look as good with as her. That. That's how it always is. Scott: I. I can't compete with how good she looks. There's no way. True. It's true. Well, thank you everyone for listening and we'll see you next time. Anything you have to say to the good people, Scotty. Scott: Yeah, Just once again,
Scott: thank you all for listening and supporting us. And until next time, kitties, Unpleasant dreams. Heather Powell: See y sa.