In this episode, I caught up with Antti Vihavainen, co-founder and CEO of Puro.earth. Puro is a Finnish startup that provides a marketplace for reversing climate change by trading CO2 removal certificates. With Stripe, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple and other big tech giants committing millions to fight climate change, #climatetech is a hot space right now. I spoke to Antti on the business of carbon removal, how he launched the first auction in 71 days, and why he feels this is the right time to do this.
- [3:53] - Why is now the right time to have a carbon removal marketplace?
- [5:57] - How did you launch a marketplace from idea to first auction in 71 days?
- [11:21] - If I am a carbon emitter, why can’t I buy carbon offsets? Why do I need carbon removals?
- [12:47] - What regulations are needed for carbon removal to become mainstream?
- [13:59] - How do I as a carbon emitter verify the amount of carbon removal?
- [15:55] - What is the cost of removing 1 tonne of C02 from the atmosphere?
- [18:09] - Do you worry that the big polluters get the wrong incentive to go on polluting?
- [19:07] - Who are the main suppliers of carbon net negative technologies?
- [20:54] - How are you going to market to get buyers and suppliers to the marketplace?
- [21:56] - What is still a challenge?
- [23:00] - What are the big trends in the carbon removal space?
- [25:48] - How is your marketplace different from other carbon removal marketplaces? What is your differentiator?
- [27:23] - What are your future plans for Puro.Earth
What is The European Startup Show?
To inspire technology entrepreneurs in Europe with stories and practical strategies from other successful entrepreneurs.
If you are a CEO, founder, or work in sales or marketing, and your company is based in Europe or is looking to expand into Europe, then this podcast is for you.