Trey: hello. And welcome back to another episode of MCU. Need to know a podcast dedicated to the Marvel cinematic universe and everything you need to know. I'm Trey, I'm Jude. How are you doing Trey? I am absolutely delighted by the responses we got to last week's episode. I was sharing some of them with the earlier and the funniest thing about it, which I appreciate it. It's always fun to get, to hear people's thoughts, but the thing that's been making me laugh the most is any time there's a new movie or there's a new show and, you know, people have a disagreement with it. The first thing out of people's mouth is, well, you know, you know, not everything's for everybody. It's okay. If you have difference of opinion. Yeah, but the moment you introduce a bracket all
Jude: well, what's so funny to me, some of those, it was random, like some movies moved on because it was random. And some movies early on went head to head with really good
Trey: movies. And I think that the inclusion of the timer, like forcing the conversation in directions, you're not expecting like when the timer ran out on the winter soldier in Ironman three, and that was being such a good argument. It was hard not to go with iron man three in that moment, but it'd be interesting to think of like, okay, what if we had eight minutes? What would have happened after that kind of thing? Right. I have been thinking about that episode a lot because it was so much fun and I was so focused on making sure like the bones of the outline was good. I'm already excited for whatever we do at next. Cause I feel like there will be ways to improve and keep making it. Cause it was, it was, it's a fun concept. Yeah. Well,
Jude: okay. In for everybody that listens regularly knows we edit. Right. Um, we want it, we want it to sound good. We want to try to have the best podcast out, um, out that we can, can produce. There wasn't any editing on that. They were like, you hit the timer and it was five minutes and we didn't like pause and discuss. It was like, okay, that's the timer let's vote. Um, and so I really liked that, that we stuck to it. Timer, no, shut it down. Vote. I then go to the next one. So that was, that was fun.
Trey: Yeah. And just like, just in case anybody's actually like time to get on their end. The timer is real to the recording, but because I do like the automatic silence removals, it may be shortened a little bit if there's like a half second pause in between, but the timing was enforced in the recording, which is really fun. Yeah. There was no
Jude: like pause and you know, uh, well, I mean, truth be told I didn't go in planning on arguing for this movie. Thor.
Trey: I am genuinely shocked. Because Nick, Sandy went in there as a joke and you came in like, well, hold on. And you went against your favorite. Spider-Man not just your favorite superhero. I think your favorite Spider-Man movie in the Spiderman trilogy. Yes. Actually
Jude: I'm
Trey: coming in as my favorite,
Jude: you know, I didn't want as like, okay, so let's get, I, my thought was, I'm going to give her a fair shot. I'm gonna try to make an argument for it because it was, it was too predictable to easily just say, okay, it's Spiderman, homecoming, and move on. You know, and let's, let's really talk about thorn and see what marriage had has in the context of what we're doing here, this trilogy. And so as I, as I even spoke more, I just like, okay, I'm really convincing myself to that. This one.
Trey: Well on that note, unintentionally, but almost seemingly by design. If you downloaded this episode, you know, we're going to be talking about Thor from 2011, but before we get there, I do want to take a quick moment to have a bit of house cleaning here at the top. I was talking to Jude about this earlier. I am personally taking a bit of a social media break, which also means in turn, uh, the MCU need to know social accounts are probably going to be quiet for a little bit. I'm looking to a, to take like just a month of not worrying about that just for my own mental health and trying to break my bad social media habits. But after a month it should be returning back to normal. So I thought it'd be good to let people know up here at the top. Uh, you know, a little bit in the discord two, we'll be, I'll be pulling back. Uh, mainly just trying to instill a discipline of only really responding on discord in the evenings rather than just kind of being plugged in all day. So just wanted to let people know.
Jude: Yeah. No, and I think that's good. Like, as people have noticed, I am assuming maybe they didn't. Oh no. Oh my God. Now I've taken my step back. Um, you know, it was that time of the school year that I needed to finish and get through and just focus on my work, helping my kids get through school and all that. And yeah. And so I've had that. I, I get it, same thing and, you know, hopefully I was, uh, hopefully at the same around time, I was actually hopefully trying to look at July. Um, cause I was thinking June has summer school. Let me get through that. Um, I was working through, uh, some applications for going back to school, um, and you know, want to get all, all that kind of sorted and you know, and so I had July kind of.
Trey: That's funny. Cause we haven't talked about this at all until just right. And so the fact that we both laid it on July is really funny. So the podcast will continue as normal, but, uh, as far as just online presence goes, that will be dialed back a little bit until July. So Thor, Thor, 11 thunder roll, be the coming out party. Uh,
Jude: so funny with, with Thor, the party thrower I'm rushing back. Okay.
Trey: Oh man. Well, it is funny. We haven't gotten into it yet. I will say this. It is funny watching this store. How many moments reminded me of what. And I couldn't help, but think of human party door throughout the entire sidewalk. Oh man. But like I said, if you downloaded this, you know, we're going to be doing our retrospective review on Thor from 2011. And the way we're going to do this is we're going to break this down into three acts. So starting with the first act, this is going to take us in the beginning of the movie all the way through Thor being banished to earth. So starting with you, Jude, where would you like to begin within act one? I think it was
Jude: interesting. That was, I was rewatching this, I remembered it differently and this isn't a big deal. I'm just found that interesting where
Trey: I should have put Spiderman.
Jude: I'm like, well, I'm just the sequence of events, right? Where, where you see Jane Foster kind of in the. And had the, the big rainbow bridge, you know, I'm trying to remember the Einstein Bosun, you know, they call it, but like, I just, I kind of thought of that as like that came second and we saw the big, like fanfare right up front, you know? And so my memory was, was different, uh, of the sequencing of things. So that really stood out to me on this in the beginning. And only because again, it was it's I found it, I was like, huh, that's that's an origin story. We're introducing a new character, but we don't get him right away, you know, and just a sequencing. So that that's, you know, I just found that it'd be an interesting
Trey: choice because it's about what a good 10 minutes before he shows up, I think maybe longer, maybe longer because I mean, technically you get the kid Thor, but right. Like Kim's worth himself is a good chunk of time into the movie. Yeah.
Jude: Oh, you know what my other thought was when you had. Little kid, Thor and little kid low-key and, you know, look, he's just like, you know, the good kid, like he's just soaking all this stuff in. And door's like, yeah, bashing her head in kinda, you know, just that really aggressive. It's like, oh man, this. This is what it's like growing up in Texas when you're little, you either you either fit in or you're aggressive like that. I don't know why that came to my head.
Trey: Just flashbacks to like elements were just like, you know, That's so funny because this is a tangent. We might cut this, but I remember in middle school, not quite that young, whenever I started playing football for a little bit and then found out I was not cut out for football, I went to PE. And so it was like, I was somewhere in between PE and football as terms of like athleticism. And it just ended with me just sitting in a corner because I quite want to do football, but everything they were doing at PE was so boring.
Jude: And I played a F I find a lot of football in middle in the middle school and a little bit in high school, but it's just, I find it funny of like, I'm not complaining, not complaining about it or something like that, but there was just something about that. Loki's was just inquisitiveness that wasn't there with. You know, that just kinda stood out to me this time that I don't think I, I don't think stood out to me that first time
Trey: and there's an adorable sadness to it, because at that point he, hasn't not corrupted, but he's not the mischievous, like God of mischief that you see once we see them as adult Hiddleston.
Jude: No, no. And that, I guess, I guess that's what it is. It's not just that. Okay. Well think about the show. Low-key right. And it was kind of like, oh, that's just what you do when you're always to do that and be that, and that scene, I'm like, no, you kind of grew into that. It felt more environment. Let's put it that way. The nerd, uh, nature versus nurture, it felt more nurture and environment than like, oh, that's in his nature to be and that one little scene, you know, and that's just, you know, kind of, I don't know why that just really jumped out to
Trey: me, you know, in the beginning of, of this. Something that stood out to me that I feel like I've had a bit of an inkling for, but I, cause we talked about it in the bracket episode where Kevin foggy mentioned that Thor was one of the like casting Thor was one of the biggest decisions they were going to make for Marvel studios, because this was going to be the launching pad for an entire side of the MCU, like the cosmic side. And so I hadn't seen Thor since reading that article. And so now watching it, it really stands out to me how much are, how special it is that this movie captures this civilian's perspective before gods in space and aliens became the norm. I like seeing Jane Foster and the crew and that car. And they're just kind of like this air of mystery. Like at this point in the MCU, Tony, Stark's around incredible. Hulk's been around, but that's all. Native to earth to see the way that this movie, like, even with the opening, with Odin, as he's describing how ancient civilizations used to work with them as deities, like they used to just accept that simple fact to see them trying to reestablish a civilization that will accept these gods as just common fact and present AMC year. I felt that constant push and pull within the movie that I didn't feel until this watch through here. Yeah. Well,
Jude: and one of the things from the very first time I saw this movie, one of the things I've always liked about it was that ability to understand its store and take itself seriously. You know, of like this is Thor, this is out in, you know, okay. There's, there's a little bit of silliness ridiculousness to it, but we're going to care about these characters care about the, their, their arc, um, and their story. And take that seriously, you know, and, and which, which made that a really good, good balance, you know? Well, one of the things, let me check the outline. Okay. I'm going to go out and say this, even though this is act two, one of the things I, for me, the example would be. When Thor, you know, has his coffee and smashes the mug and says nuts, you know, well, I know that's act two, but there's just a good example of that silliness, but seriousness and dealing with someone outside of their own culture, you know, and, and just kind of being naive about that and just doing what they would normally do. Um, you know, and it shows the arrogance of
Trey: Thor, but yeah, so for as much work as they're trying to do, like what I was saying about establishing this cosmic side of the MC. I like that you bring up that almost fish out of water nature that we see take form and act two. And the reason that is so successful is that the opening act, or at least the reason I think it's successful is that the opening act really establishes like a power scale. That is. Of a heightened range than we've seen at this point in the MCU, but the characters are still really flawed. Door's arrogance or his petulance, like when he throws that tantrum at the coronation after his big day is ruined. Like I like that they are showing that, okay, these aren't perfect gods. They are still a fallible. And I thought that's, um, and not endearing, but that meant that makes them feel more real and can play in that space of like, this is serious. This is Thor, but also I'll have another. And
Jude: that he has a lot to, like, he has a lot to learn, but it's this place of privilege that thorn has had his whole life. And he throws that fit. Doesn't listen to his dad. The king goes running off. Expects king dad shows up to agree with them, fight with us. You know, there is death side by side right out, and doesn't bring some back and his look, your arrogance and stupidity.
Trey: You're a boy. Like he constantly keeps saying like, these are the actions of a boy. Yeah.
Jude: Well, and it's interesting cause you know, I mean a lot of people I think have made the case. This is all on Odin. Like, like, Hey, you would've made better choices as a parent. And I don't know, maybe not said, Hey, both of y'all are born to be Kings, but only one of you gets it. Uh, you know, thanks dad. Like we're going to have trials. Right. Uh, so yeah, but, but they do do a good job though, of knocking Thor down, you know? And so you, so you, so he is, has, has some, has a character, has a story that they have to build up and something he has to overcome, you know, and we see
Trey: it very clearly. You know, we're going to get into this once we get to the final act of the movie, but I want to start laying the groundwork here because another thing that was a relevatory for me in this watch is just how much. That sequence and note, and Heim is an inverse of Thor's actions at the end. So at least doing the work now, you know, Thor convinces SIF, and the warriors three and Loki to go take on lofi and yacht and Haim to pay for the actions that he's done. And like, I like functionally, I've always understood what they're doing. It's like, okay, they're showing he's arrogant. They're showing that he needs to be humbled and he needs to learn to think of others outside of himself. But the way that they really emphasize how much Thor's putting them at risk, just to play in the vanity of like getting to demonstrate his power, getting to show off. Lofi cause they have that scene where like go before I changed my mind, Loki intervenes and starts pulling away. And then the other frost giant throws that remark and doors excited to have that reason to, to go back in. So he's like looking for that fight and that I think contrast nicely by what we get to by the end of the movie. Yeah.
Jude: Well, I think there's some clever writing there too. Um, only because it would, I think for an audience, maybe it would be even harder for us to say, why do I want to watch this guy's redemption story? If you don't have like, he's about to walk away, you get that line. Okay. So he was provoked, was he
Trey: only if it, you accept as egos, as fragile as it is to be provoked by
Jude: that. Right? Yeah. And, and so it's, it's, um, we'll see the equivalent on the kid on the playground. They're like, if he look at me, you know, and then they work their way around. So like you don't have a choice. You're standing in that direction. They're looking kind of thing. I told you not
Trey: to look on this loving funder,
Jude: you get the idea. So it's just like, yeah. So I do think there was some clever, clever writing right there, or, well, not clever writing, but like, it was important to have that line it's structurally
Trey: sound like that's a good way to put it. Uh, we talked or I can say we can talk about the merits of Odin as a paternal figure to these two boys. But I want to specifically focus in on Anthony Hopkins performance, because he is phenomenal in the beginning. Not only does he give the opening narration over the history of this side of Asgard, but there are, I think few people that can pull off that speech that he gives to Thor when he's just dismantling them and telling him you're not worthy, then have Loki come in trying to defend them. And he just straight up growls at him. And it's not funny. Like, it's just really like, oh, like he growled and it, it makes me scared every time I hear
Jude: well, you know what, it's funny. So I'm, I'm watching this, you know, for the pod. Cause that's what you do. And my wife, that's what heroes do. That's what heroes do, um, sitting on the couch and she's like, man, they didn't, they did, they didn't know didn't dirty and that's and she goes, gets, it can a kid. It. That's not the really thinking about like the actual, like mythology and stuff.
Trey: Uh, this is Fisher-Price Odin digestible for everybody. I mean
Jude: that, and just, she was on, you know, a while back to talking about racking, rock and stuff. And so for that is she's watching and that, you know, seeing how, what audience is being portrayed and she's like, no,
Trey: no, you know, we talked a little bit about Loki, something that I liked rewatching for the first time now having seen low-key now having seen more of it in the MCU is the very first interaction that we see of adult Loki. Cause I know. Child low-key earlier, but the very first time we see Hiddleston actually speaking and interacting with Thor. I love that it's just straight up pure manipulation on his part. Like he's straight up he's he's like next to the door. He's like for the record, I agreed with you, but what can you do? And father says, no, we say no. And he waits for like just a half second. And he's like, wait, no, I know that face. So he's like provoking Thor without really having to openly say it, which could probably speak a little bit more to Thor himself. But I think it also speaks volumes for Loki's cleverness and manipulation. And it's just, it's a really great grounding scene of who this, this type of character is to start with. Oh yeah. Well,
Jude: you know what, and that was, that was the struggle for me this time around watching that I was just like, I just, the young Loki, you just took me so differently this time. Um, that it was almost like, I felt like I was like, I want to see more. It was like, how did I want to know more about Loki? How did they. From this, you know, this interested inquisitive to the super mischievous, you know, or know how about this, the kid who, you know, what was the, the story and Ragnar rock that, you know, he knows I love snakes or whatever, then, you know, it turns into, tries to stab me. You're the one that cuts sifts hair, um, which are great stories, especially the cutting lady, stuff's hair, uh, from the actual Norris mythology. But it's like seeing that little kid, I was like, oh man, I want, I want that. I want to see, give me a scene or two of this, you know,
Trey: how do you, how do you get from that to,
Jude: and so that's, and, and they tried to give it to us, right? The, the whole, well, I'm going to say this, like, so this was in 2011, right? And we get Loki, we get. And the low-key show. Right. And I remember listening to, there was an idea to TK and ch and talk about, um, how queer the show was that also is coming up in the back of my head of, of, of this with Loki, you know, whereas like, so the, so without showing us the childhood stuff, the term, the stuff that they gave us was that his arm was grabbed and it didn't hurt him. Right. Because he was a fresh, giant. Well, before that you did get the, you got the sense for me that he already knew something was different about him and this confirmed, and that kind of confirmed it for him. And then he went and grabbed this. Uh, the, the big block. I don't know why. I can't remember the name of it. All these things are now the casket. Why am I blank? I know I'm blinking, but anyways,
Trey: finish your thought and I'll come in. I'll go on that limb with you.
Jude: He turns, and he has that conversation with Odin, you know, and he's like, who am I here? My son. Okay. Who am I really? And so this time I'm seeing a lot more of that already there, you know? And, and so while those scenes I think is what the purpose or the purpose of those scenes was for that, I definitely wish they would gave us a little bit more, you know, and it was a pretty quick movie too. I think there was room for that.
Trey: It's two hours. So, you know, you talked about like watching it for the pod and the joke that's what heroes do. I will say this, I was of two minds. I was like, okay, I'm excited to watch the, for the pod. The other non pod side of my mind was like, thank God. It's only two hours. It's just like trying to find time to rewatch it for the podcast. Like when these movies get into the two and a half hour range, it's like, oh man, that's so much time to try and fit in before we record.
Jude: I definitely understand.
Trey: Okay. So it feels like we can move into the second act, but I did want to go out on this limb with you before we get there. So it's very funny to me that you were like, oh, I can't remember the name of the casket. I have seen this movie twice before this recording. Now I now know what is called the casket. The moment this movie leaves my mind, I'm going to think is the. Every time, I'm not watching this movie. It, for some reason, I feel like it's the Tesseract. And when I restart the movie, I'm like, oh yes, that thing. Yeah.
Jude: This is the third time I've seen this movie.
Trey: Yeah, for whatever reason, I just always assumed it was the Tesseract that they were playing
Jude: with. So there there's, my first watch was, you know, how many people just spit their drink out. As I said that, because Thor beat out homecoming. This is only the third time I've seen it
Trey: when it's that good. You only need two times,
Jude: but to watch per prepping, prepping for Avengers, and then once in prepping for infinity war during the, the big rewatch. So you didn't even,
Trey: I didn't even watch it. It released it. You still picked it over homecoming, which I'm not gonna throw you out. Cause we do the wolves I picked with you, but I'll never get over that. You pick your favorite Spiderman. I went to bat for the winter soldier in the first draft. I'm sorry. It was the first Avenger. Nevermind. You were, you were on winter soldier from the get go. So, anyway, I just wanted to go out on that limb with you on the casket. You're not alone. I will forget by the time this podcast is over, but yeah, moving into act two. This is going to take us from Jane and the crew, taking Thor to the hospital all the way to salvage, taking Thor to the bar and asking him to leave town. But specifically the reason I wanted to transition into act two is you were doing a wonderful job setting up the low-key in this movie versus the low-key. We've come to know him through subsequent entries in the MCU. And the thing that I really liked, like. I feel like I can confidently say that scene between him and Odin, where he's like telling me that scene is what solidified Hiddleston staying in the MCU longer than I think the narrative called for, because that was such a wonderfully acted scene. You could feel the emotion in his performance. But the thing that I find so heartbreaking is we've talked about it. Loki is the God of mischief. Yeah. But one of the things that I feel like we learned in the low-key series is that so much of the way he feels is just through coincidentally being wrongly affirmed like that feeling he has of Odin being like I picked you up. Cause I thought, you know, maybe someday we could use you as a way to create a truce between guilt and hype. And even though that was the intentionality, I do think Thor Odin, and Frigga all do genuinely care about Loki, but he is unable to see past that. Hurt feeling. And so, yeah, I see what you mean where it feels like there is this not feel like there is a missing gap. We don't see where child low-key starts to wear this look, he gets too, but that emotional catharsis of low-key trying to act. Against this revelation, I think really feels in those gaps, that history, you can feel the tension of his performance there, and the way they follow this up is towards the end of this act. They have a scene with Loki and his mother by Odin's bedside. And in that scene, you can see Frigga is. Counteracting that false assertion that nobody actually cared for him. Like she is showing genuine care and he's receiving it and you can see it in Huddleston's performance. But the tragic thing that I think whether it's gotta be intentional, it was just well done. Is she unknowingly uses the phrase. There's always a purpose to everything your father does. And that was the moment that pushed Loki back. Like it felt like he was teetering on a path that maybe could bring them back to that sincerity we saw in the beginning. But because of that, again, unknowingly use of purpose from Frigga the person that was making the most headway. I thought that was really good writing on this movie's part. Oh, so
Jude: what is, what is the, what will I say not to downplay it, but what is, what is the typical. You know, the, the whole, like, we know mom loves us, but we w we, you know, we need dad's approval kind of, you know, psychology. Um, again, I'm playing a little bit out of my realm on this, but, but just that idea of like, when you start talking about. What is fatherhood and where people's relationships to their father, you get this idea of a wound that people carry that typically you'd hear it called the father wound that, and depending on who it is, it's, it can be more drastic than others, you know? Um, your dad might be wonderful, but there's something there because you're always wondering the approval or your dad might be Walter White, um, or Odin, you know, like, uh, you know, but, but here's why I bring that up as you mentioned that with that line. Cause, cause also when you get to the show, low-key, what's the thread that, that that's pulled through glorious purpose, you know? And, and so if she's saying that, you know, Odin, you know, always does stuff with a purpose and you know, and you, and you want to think about what that is and what that father wound. Is that, that then drives in him and carries him through, you know, it is, this is, am I, am I wanted, am I low? Okay. So I have this purpose, I have this glorious purpose and I'm going to spend my life showing dad that I have this glorious
Trey: purpose. Oh man, you took what I had and went one step further. And I love it. I didn't make that connection to Gloria's purpose whatsoever, but that's beautiful. And I wanted to re-emphasize it because I think I set it up poorly. The reason why I said it was significant that Frigga used the word purpose in that argument with Odin and low-key low-key I think specifically saying what is my purpose? And that's what Odin said. And so that, that word comes back to haunt them. And the fact that that's a line that gets continued with glorious purpose through the series, that's really, really strong writing. And just to. Hammer home, how much thought I think has put into low-key psychology. There is a scene after Thor fails to pick up mule Nair and Colson's questioning him and he goes away and low-key comes in. Loki makes a line where he says, how cruel the father to put the hammer within reach, knowing you could never lift it. And so you're seeing Loki's truth come through his life for Thor. So it's truly a sense of pain. That that's what thought means. That's what Odin did to low-key he put the throne in front of him knowing that he could never truly
Jude: have, right. No, I love that. Um, cause that's a mischievous low-key thing to do, you know, to, I'm going to put salt in the wound.
Trey: He's so he's petty,
Jude: but there's an element where it's like, you're almost like, can you blame her? And that moment
Trey: at this point, he hasn't taken anybody's eye out yet. So he's still suffering sympathetic. Once you get to Avengers, that's a threshold that's kind of hard to come back from.
Jude: True, true. Although they brought that in, bring them back, took 10 years,
Trey: at least without, without six episodes, it took 10 years, six episodes on an alligator. So, yeah, that's, you know, I I've was on the record last week saying I don't think Thor, the dark world is as bad as everybody says, but it's a better low-key movie than it is a Thor movie. I really think now having watched this even more recently, Loki is the saving grace of the first two Thor films. Like I think Thor, by the time we get to ride in Iraq, Thor and Loki are on par, but low, just right there that everything that we were able to pull out together through the psychology of low-key I think they just, they, I don't want to say they got lucky, but they, I don't think they truly appreciated what they had in Hiddleston until you get to the Avengers.
Jude: Yeah. Well, well, a couple of things, a, one of the arguments fourth, or going on from homecoming, if you're new to the pod, go listen to the previous episode on the bracket was that we got lucky out of it, you know, and as you find it interesting, cause you can find, I think you can find it on YouTube where Hiddleston auditioned for Thor originally. Yeah. That would have changed things so much significantly now. I mean, I get it. They're actors are playing apart. So like in theory, yeah. He could have done Thor and someone else could have done low-key it's one of those where it's just, it's hard to see it.
Trey: Yeah. So were there any other things that stood out to you in act two that you wanted a circle it on? I kind
Jude: of already mentioned it. I just, I liked what they did, you know, to, to do that fish out of water culturally there, I, I, I think there was some issues and some problems in how they showed Jane and developed the Thor Jane relationship, you know, so that didn't quite work. But I, I did like the, the comedy aspect that they were able to pull, pull into it, you know, I think, I think my favorite, I think this had probably one of my early on favorite Easter egg. Which w which was, um, although I did see it different this time, which is interesting, uh, Jane Foster's ex Dr. Blake, because that was in the early sixties or through the sixties comics, that was, um, Thor's alter ego, you know, and he would turn into Thor. And, and so that was something that I really liked. Um, but what did stick out to me this time was the whole, that's my ex line only because it's like, you have this scene with Hemsworth and his shirt off. Right. And immediately where my head went to and it's like, this is the only shirt I have. This is my. And it fits some. I was like, are you telling me Jane Foster has a tight, like, like what, like it made me think of like, what are you trying to, I mean, it was, it was an interesting way to put that Easter egg in there. And I really enjoyed that, that Easter egg in the way they put it in there. But it also it's like, okay, in that choice, what were you trying to tell us about this character? You know, um, which I don't think I thought of the first time or second time and the second time I saw it, um, you know, so, so as much as I did really enjoy this movie, I think in the, in that, watching that interaction just didn't, didn't
Trey: quite do it. One of the things I wanted to set up in that first act that I didn't quite get to, but I think fits here, this movie feels dated in a way that I don't think a lot of the MCU movies feel because up until this point in phase one, Ironman holds up. Yeah. And I'm speaking, particularly specifically, visually iron man holds up iron man. Two holds up hold. Eh, not that great Canton America because of the world war II nature, if feels timeless and then Thor, I think of that phase one set the word hope, I think really showed their age and in part of Mo or moving beyond just visually showing its age, they way, the way they treat the writing of women. I think it's just every time I wanted to take notes about Jane Foster, all my note would come back to is I'm so excited for love and thunder. Like I'm so glad that because Natalie Portman is a wonderful actress and I'm glad that they're getting a chance to, I don't even wanna say, give her a second chance that she gets an opportunity to have a hopefully better written character because maybe. Other than two or three scenes, every Jane scene is just like fawning over Thor. And it just, it, it it's like, I know it is, they needed that, that relationship to work because that's the hinges moment. By the time we get to the end of the film is that they can't be together, but it's, it's so thinly written to get to somewhere rather than it being something that a fully dimensional character.
Jude: Well, it's interesting. Cause when I saw Thor getting ready for Avengers, I remember my wife saying was like, why would Natalie Portman do this? And I didn't think much of it at the time, you know, but I think his really good point actually, you know, I mean, I know she has a really good point, but at the time I didn't think much about it, but now, you know, thinking back to even that time for the things Natalie, Portman's done leading up to Thor, that was a very interesting choice.
Trey: Yeah. There's just not a lot there, unfortunately. And again, strictly writing-wise it's just that there wasn't much. Have a role, although, when you said, uh, does she have a type? I immediately thought of happy from the, what if zombies episode where he had the shirt that said I'm not single, I'm saving myself.
Jude: Oh, that's funny. Yeah. But that's, you know,
Trey: well, it's on the topic of this movie feeling dated. I talked about visually, I talked about the writing. Another way that struck me as odd is this movie came out in 2011. I think it's supposed to still be in that 2008 era because this is kind of almost taking place simultaneously with Ironman. So even though it's real-world 2011,
Jude: cause, cause I'll, cause all this is that whole Fury's long week or something.
Trey: Right. So 2008 it's a year after the iPhone came out, everybody has pre smartphones. And it's really funny to me to see, I think Jasper Sitwell had the most technologically advanced one and it's like this LG chocolate something I can't even remember, but it's, it's very dated. The one that got me the most is whenever shield comes to Jane's a workspace and steals all their equipment Celtics like, oh, well, I'll send an email to a colleague to get this straightened out. And Darcy's like, oh, well they stole your laptop. A few seats later. We see Silva going to the library to write it.
Jude: Oh man. Oh, that's so funny. Um, yeah. Yeah. Like w well, cause they took his phone. They took a smartphone. You know, um, I didn't, that didn't jump out at me. What did jump out me out at me with the radio shack long. I missed radio shack by the way, but just saying
Trey: I do too. I always went in there with no real purpose, which is probably why it's
Jude: it? Radio radio shack was one of those stores that you went into with no real purpose, especially if it was the one in the mall just to look around and play. But when you actually really needed it, it was super useful. And there's times where it's like, you just, it was still a radio shack. I'd walk in and get this right away. But now it's like, I have to order Amazon and wait for it to show up.
Trey: Okay. I'm so thrilled. The way that you had just told that story, because I'm so curious. I don't know the pure demographics of our audience. I wonder how many people listening. Don't know what radio second.
Jude: Okay. If you don't know what radio shack is, take a look at your smart phone and think of all the things that does. And then separate all the functions it does into its own separate device in a store that you can go and buy each individual device to have to do everything you do at one phone
Trey: and batteries. Yes. Every, every battery you can think of. You know, also speaking of Selvig, whenever you mentioned this movie having one of your favorite Easter eggs, the Donald Blake one, I thought you were going to go to that scene that I mentioned. Selvig uh, writing an email to his colleague. The lead into that was I knew this, the scientist that was brilliant with gamma radiation, and he got involved with shield and was never heard from, again, I think I'd have to rewatch the first two movies again. I think that might be the first spoken interwoven connectivity of the MCU of him alluding to hope, because we see like in Hawk you see like stark logos, obviously stark appears in the, in credit, but as far as within the movie itself, I really think Selvig mentioning or kind of alluding to banner might be one of the first spoken ones, which is really cool. You
Jude: know what I think you're right on that. I mean, I mean, I'm going to rule out the tag on iron man.
Trey: It feels different because it's not the
Jude: same thing for incredible hole. I'm going to rule out the tag cause it's not in the movie iron man too. Hm. I don't remember it referring. I mean, it refers back to iron man as in that it's a sequel. Another movie, separate. Cause in release order, it would have to referred to the Hulk.
Trey: It does, it does have Colson referred to New Mexico, but we don't know what that means at that point. I think I'm going to say you're right. If we get into the weeds, maybe we can rule it out. But at least like just kind of on the surface, it feels like one of the first examples of the MCU.
Jude: Yeah. I mean, there's a lot of interwoven stuff in Ironman too, but all that happens like after the fact that's like later movies, winter soldier, we need a Senator. That's a Hydra agent. Oh. We had a Senator Congressman and Ironman to things like. Um, the Tesseract is like, oh, it's in his dad's notebook. That like a lot of things like that, that, that were Easter eggs, but the, not the, what you're talking about, the interwoven newness of
Trey: the characters recognized. Yeah.
Jude: Yeah. And especially cause incredible whole came out in 2008. This came out in 2011. First Avenger was 2011 because that was,
Trey: may feel like a few months later.
Jude: Yeah. It was may July. And then, you know, and again, that's why I said about captain America first Avenger, feeling like it was a rush to get this character done because you have made 2000. July, 2011 and then Avengers May, 2012. So yeah, I think you're right. That's really cool. Really cool.
Trey: I have an appreciation for it, especially since it's the incredible Hulk that movie I think gets pushed aside a lot. And I think it does owe some foundational piece to the MCU, even if it is the least referred to, I think I'd go out on that limb, although it might've caught up with a lot of the ROS stuff
Jude: between Ross. What if Ragnar rock, there were some references to it. Yeah. We'll see what she does. Um, I'm gonna, to be honest, I haven't, I watched it not that long ago and
Trey: it's on HBO max now. I think,
Jude: um, I really, um, Yeah, I watched it. Not that long ago. It's not as bad as people think I have a soft spot
Trey: for it.
Jude: Yeah. I mean, it's definitely MCU. Hasn't figured out what they're doing yet in terms of one V one vision and one look, you know, and again, that's one of the things when I, when I look at these, go back to Thor, this vision and aesthetic that Kenneth Bronner gives man, that it feels very consistent as Ironman. What iron man gave us, what you see in Marvel's the Avengers and that gets pulled and carried through.
Trey: It basically takes the aesthetic of iron man and tilts it 45 degrees, apparently for so many scenes in this movie.
Jude: Okay. I just got distracted. I can tell I'm looking at the MCU list. And I started thinking of aesthetics and I'm, and I'm kind of looking at OKR, I mean, three Thor, dark world. And it's like, okay. So a dark world did not have the same kind of aesthetic as the war in. And I was just kind of tracing it through. So that's a whole other episode we'll get to later.
Trey: Oh, that is, oh man. I'd have to be sure to write that, dude. I feel like we've had like 50 episode ideas in the last
Jude: three. I know. Right. All right. So what are we, uh, act two
Trey: active. We just finished talking about some of the Easter eggs, talking about the interconnectivity of Thor, uh, talking about how it's feeling dated, but also is responsible for the aesthetic of early MCU.
Jude: So my, my, some of my other thoughts come actually comes into, into act three.
Trey: Okay. Well, I have two things. We can talk about an activity, so let's do
Jude: that. Cause I'm, cause my head's starting to think about it.
Trey: Okay. So like I said, I got two things I want to talk about. One of them is just silly, but I do want to bring it up for the sake of talking about it. Age of Ultron cap and iron man have that conversation about like what an elevator be able to lift the hammer. And I think Thor says something about like, you know, you have to be worthy. It doesn't matter if it lifts up on the elevator because it's not a person lifting it should then the truck have been able to move it with the chain.
Jude: Hm. I feel like I can get that. I can, I can go either way. Is that
' Trey: cause? I mean, you want to say, okay, the elevator doesn't have a will, right? You have to push the button to activate the elevator. Right. That's no different than just accelerating in the truck. It's not like a trucks trying to move the.
Jude: Yeah, the person. Hmm. So, I mean, here's, here's the question though? Is the person making the elevator go up because it's trying to make the hammer go up or is that just kind of a unintended consequence of making the elevator go up? If
Trey: I understand you correctly, it'll only go up if the Hammer's just there as a coincidence and you need to go up, but if your only intent is to go up, so the hammer moves, the hammer will not move the elevator. Yeah. That makes sense to me. That tracks.
Jude: Yeah. See. So I that's what I think.
Trey: I think I'll go with that too. Like I said, I knew it was silly. I just wanted to bring it up for the sake of it. But on the topic of the hammer, one of the things that I, again, I had this new lens at which I appreciated this movie and it is the swing that it is taking to establish the fantastical and the SciFest well, not scifi, but the, the cosmic side of the MCU and seeing Shield's response to the hammer landing in the desert, where they built up this huge base and the scientific, like very, I don't know if a de-stress is the right word, but it's just clean and scientific and very sterile. It, it feels like a world that has stopped believing in that fantastical side, trying to contain it before it breaks, but we know where the MCU is going. We know where Thor's going. And so I like that visual imagery of trying to. Hold on to that old way before gods and aliens and the space side of the MCU becomes the norm. So my might be a little bit of the curtains just blue, but that was one of the readings I got out of watching this time around.
Jude: No, I don't think they're blue. I think, uh, I think you're on, you know, um, and just, we haven't talked about it much, but I do think Kenneth Brown is a good filmmaker, a good director. And so in that sense, I definitely could see like, yeah, there's intentionality
Trey: there. I do want to throw this to you because I've found this interesting that in the first two iron man movies, we always found it surprising how little we talked about Colson and that started to plant the seed for me. How Colson is a character that is super beloved in the. And I'm starting to feel like at this point, that love of the character is from agents of shield because in this movie he's kind of a jerk. And so as we've been going through these early MCU movies, I'm trying to like trace, when did Colson become the Colson we talk about today? Yeah, because it doesn't feel like it's he's in it. I don't feel like that Colson's in this.
Jude: Uh, no, I can kinda, I mean, when you, when you talking about the screen time and what he does is clearly more than Boba Fett through the movies, but you're right for the passion for, uh, the Phantom has, uh, the Phantom, the fandom has, um, for Colson. Um, I mean he is the through line all the way to Avengers. Yeah, you're right.
Trey: It's purely on just the writing. And I guess the, I don't even want to say fan fiction, cause I don't even think it's fan fiction. It's just the way Colson morphed into something more than what he was in the beginning, because the script just needed him to be this suit character that is coming in. Finger-wagging like trying to stop Jane and crew. Yeah. The thing that stood out to me is if you have a character that says we're the good guys, like trying to defend themselves, not necessarily a ringing endorsement. And I think I will say that. I do think you start to see the Phil Colson breaking through because he's very straight laced at the beginning. Like very, uh, professional. And just like to the point we're going to take your stuff. Okay, bye. Have a good day. And then by the end, it gets to the point where the destroyer shows up and they're like, is that stark? He goes, I don't know. That guy never tells me anything. So you're starting to see it form, but I don't think it's there, Justin.
Jude: Nope, you're right on that. Yeah. God, that's interesting. Cause I remember, you know, sticking with Colson for a second. Um, captain Marvel, one of the things I really liked that movie a lot, really enjoy it. And one of the things that I was disappointed in. We didn't see enough Colson Colson was coming back and oh, we're going to get to see Colson and Nicolson in the younger years. And like, we barely got him. I think
Trey: I immediately texted you, is like, I love that. We're at the point where the MCU can stunt cast based purely on continuity. Colson had no reason to be in that middle. Right. So, yeah.
Jude: That's yeah,
Trey: that's great. We're in danger of becoming the anti Colson podcast
Jude: sort of coal we are through with you now. Um, but you're right. Like, you know, and I still enjoy the character, love the character. The one shot was great. You know, the one shot hits differently. Now thinking about Sitwell, watching Sitwell in the Sidwell, um, Jasper Sidwell. Yeah. Watching Sitwell in this, in this, and I'm like, geez, that's, that's a Hydra agent. Uh, so it hits differently now. Um, but yeah, no, you're, you're. On that, you know, but again, this watch I'm like, I I'm, I get more out of low-key than I do Thor
Trey: low-key I think has always been the secret shining star, the horse here. I mean, thorn didn't get six episode series, so Nope,
Jude: Nope. At best he showed up in frog Thor. Rockfest this frog.
Trey: Well, yeah, I think unless we got any more enact to, we might be able to move into act three. Let's do that. That is going to take us from, low-key making a deal with lofi back in yacht and Haim all the way through the end of this movie. Jude, it's your turn this time, where would you like to start with enact three?
Jude: One of the things that, that I, I noticed, and then we talk about the Disney plus shows and how you have to have that final set. Right. And you final action piece. And so I had that kind of in the back of my mind, like, what would this be like if I chopped it up into what is that two hours, right. And the two, two shows, um, or, you know, one for 30 minute episodes, like, did, did that in feel like a, just kind of obligatory, obligatory, uh, set piece? Um, I mean, I didn't know, like, like I really did like the sequence, um, and the fighting, you know, I thought worked well, you know, it wasn't, I mean, it was obligatory cause that's just what they have. Right. But it, it felt like, and I'm wondering if it's because it was a movie and naturally flows into it without that episode. Because it didn't because it just felt like this is just part of the movie. We're not filling time or have to have it cause we need. You know, a monster. I think there was, there was a little bit of it. Um, it just, the way it ended, you know, it, I know we had Thor, the dark world, but it could definitely, I think S sat as a SA as a, as a standalone piece. Like if we'd never saw low-key again. Um, and, and, and those types of things. So, so in that sense, I was really pleased with how it ended.
Trey: Well, I'm going to speak about this positively first, get into my point. I'll I'll go ahead and admit, I don't have as much notes for act three. Let's start with the positive. You know, I started, I started talking about it in act one where I said, I liked how they did more, or I appreciated the work they did, of how that opening fight sequence is an inverse of what we see him in this one. He's doesn't have his powers. He doesn't have his hammer. And you know, when his friends show up to fight to destroyer with them, they're all excited about how he's going to join the fight. And he's like, no, you know, I will only be a burden I'll get in the way or worse, get one of you killed. So the entire time he switched from the Thor that was boastful and bragging, uh, to a Thor that is more conscious of other people around him. And that's always worked just functionally, because this is a movie about him being humbling and learning to do self sacrificial things, but hearing or sitting down to take notes and seeing what Odin had lamented him. Taking the heart before stripping him of mule Nair and deeming him unworthy. It just really clicked all together, actually paying close attention to it to this time. So I did like that. I think that all functionally works. I think the problem of the first two Thor movies, I know we're only reviewing the, this one, but I think I've figured out on why these movies might be on the lower end of the MCU rankings. It is unfortunate that Thor's hero's journey, even though it needs to happen. And I understand why it happens. It makes him a less interesting character because even though he's super petulant and he's arrogant, at least there's some sort of tension with him and the world around him. But by the time that it gets to the point where sifts, like they'll sing stories of this day and he goes, live and sing those stories yourself. I'm like, okay, like we, we lost the interesting part of the, and I think that carries over into the dark, the dark world as well. And I think why Ragnar rock works so well is they've found a way to make him, I don't want to say fully a good person, but a person who is conscious of others while still being a little arrogant and a little oafish and a little texture to him rather than whatever he becomes at the end of this movie. Yeah.
Jude: Hmm. It does fit though, with the Norse mythology right there. We're going to have, we're going to have songs about you.
Trey: It fit. Like I said, I get it. It all, it all makes sense to me. I just like the Thor before he got up. I mean, one of the big things the next morning from the bar is he's making
Jude: breakfast.
Trey: It's just like, if, if this was it, if this was just the first Thor movie and there's nothing else fine, I get it. They live happily ever after Thor is a changed. But we're going to get more. What have you excited about this?
Jude: We don't know that
Trey: at the time. That's true. Well, we knew he was coming in the
Jude: Avengers. Yeah. Okay. So that's fair. That's fair. Okay. And that's where, you know, some of the MCU timeline and planning gets a little murky of like how early on did they know it was going to turn all the way to where we get an end game? Because by this point, you're right. We know we're going to get Avengers because of contracts. Like we know you're getting iron man three, like, like, so, you know, some of these others are coming, but just because it's on paper, doesn't mean they actually have to do
Trey: it. I think the best example of that, Aaron Taylor Johnson, I think was like signed on for like five movies. And that's quick silver in age of Ultron. So we know that's not necessarily indicative of how many entries they will actually be in.
Jude: So, so, yeah, so that's,
Trey: I still enjoy this movie. I still stand by last week's decision, but it, it re like sitting down to watch it. It was like, oh, that's why this movie I think, starts to lower on people's rankings. He just, he becomes kind of boring for two movies.
Jude: Well, that well that in, and you get the, this is not one that people, I think get excited to go rewatch things. I was like, oh, I'm going to go back and watch an older MCU movie. I'm going to grab the door unless you're just a really big Hemsworth door fan, right. Or Hiddleston fan, um, that see another, another episode idea just came to mind. What are the, what are the most go-to rewatch movies,
Trey: Ragnar rocks. Yeah. And what's your go-to for?
Jude: Well, I know for me and for you, but also just in general and what phase are those come from?
Trey: I hope I didn't derail the spinal and now
Jude: I just think just pop that just popped into my head. Let's get back to Thor. We'll we'll discuss that later, but, um, so yeah, well, I think that's how they're telling is like how much of this movie as we talk about, it brings up other questions related to other movies. How so? Um, we'll just, just the here of like, like, okay, is this one that I'm assuming people don't go back to rewatch, right. You know, the, the aesthetic and does that get pulled through? So it's really interesting that the part of why it moved on and homecoming was this foundational at what comes out of. And all these little sidetracks that we've had out of this movie, considering the larger
Trey: MCU. I'm glad you brought that up because there was something I wanted to highlight in act one that I just didn't get around to, but I can circle back to it. But this there's a line where they're going to note and Heim and Heimdall is like warning them about like, oh, you know, this is dangerous and doors. Like I have no plans to die today. It's very reminiscent of that line and infinity war where he's, he's like only if I die, like he's very headstrong in that nature of refusing his, uh, I don't even want to say mortality, but just the, the, the ability for him to lose. And so watching this movie there, another, another one, when they're in the bar with Selvig, he tells salvage for the first time, I have no set plan. That's almost a direct line from in game and whether or not they're referencing back and forth, who knows, but you can see the blueprint of Thor. You can see the elements of what they're trying to establish with the character here. But I think the groundbreaking part of Thor is the blueprint that became the foundation for the MCU, not necessarily the character and they were still working that out so that that's all solid. It sets up what becomes a foundation of the MCU, but they just hadn't quite figured out Dory yet. Um, so yeah, I'm glad you brought that up so I can highlight that. Cause that was something that stuck out to me, uh, with those two scenes really echoing things we see later well and
Jude: handles lined back. None. Do you know, um, I had two thoughts to mind, but I'm actually saving them frustrate thoughts. So, yeah, I've got straight
Trey: thoughts too. I feel like because I even, I think I admitted it. I, I didn't have very much of any notes for act three. And a lot of it is because act three is very action heavy. Uh, the only other thing that I would bring up before we get into stray thoughts, uh, two things actually, you know, we already highlighted Loki and his search for purpose. And what that means in this movie, what it goes on to mean in the series. It is wonderful work. That low-key is so repulsed by the idea of the purpose of signed by Odin, that he like his main goal switches to destroying. And, you know, we can, we can make that argument like, okay, he's been playing this for a while. He admits that he was the one who let in the frost, dry ins to mess up Thor's, uh, coronation. But he even admits it to lofi. That was just for fun. I just wonder ruined my big brother's day. I don't think Loki is as villainous of wanting to reject that purpose, wanting to destroy until that scene with Odin. So to finally get that catharsis where the deceptions gone, it's just pure, low key acting out on his pain. It's you see all that in this final action sequence, I'm going to make dad proud. I mean, he even says it, like I could have done it Odin I could have. And he said an Odin says no, and that's when he lets go. Yeah. So I just wanted to spotlight, uh, Huddleston's work cause he's doing a lot of, of, of great emotional scenes here. Really good stuff. So stray thoughts. This might be the quickest we've moved through a
Jude: third years. I think so. Okay. So real quick, I'll just do my two biggest straight thoughts. Um, man, didn't say much about Homedale at all for having hydro Silva. Um, so they did. Um,
Trey: so,
Jude: um, and I can't remember timeline-wise was address, address, address Idris Elba. Um, Idris Elba yet, you know, um, at least in the U S maybe versus the UK. And, you know, I'd have to kind of look at that timeline in the career. Um, but yeah, like that was kind of a man. He could've done more with there. Um, and we didn't really dive into Frigga much at all, especially for. Um, her return and end game and, you know, and, and her, uh, coming back up again and low-key, you know, and she was, had her moments, but it was pretty much a side character in this one. Yeah.
Trey: Frigga I think starts to take more of a prominent place in the dark world. I think they really found the emotional core with her there, whereas kind of what we talked about symptomatic of the time, they just didn't really do a wonderful job. Writing the women characters in this movie as evident by Darcy. Like I said, like the first few minutes of her introduction in one division did more for respecting her character than this movie did because it made me laugh where Thor's parting from them. And he's like Jane Foster, Eric. Darcy so that they weren't really doing a great job on that front. Uh, but sticking with rigor, I do want to point out again, there's almost no way this could have been planned, but it is one of those just happy coincidence. Is that in the scene, where were Odin's given the speech about Thor becoming king? He goes, Thor, Odin son, my first born and it cuts to Frigga and she's kind of rolling her eyes. And at this point I it's because we know of him, but they wouldn't have known about hella. So I thought that was just a very lucky coincidence on their part,
Jude: unless online wash on Disney plus, and they edited that back in
Trey: apparently Disney likes to fiddle with the final products on their
Jude: surface. You know, Disney did buy Lucas films from Lucas. Okay.
Trey: So another one of my straight thoughts, you know, you talked about. In last week's episode where Ragnar rock gets a little bit more credit than it deserves on the comedy front. I think there could be arguments to be made that maybe Ragnar rock is funnier, but comedy was at the humor or sorry. Comedy was at the core of the original things. That entire second section is really funny, just riddled with physical comedy, uh, constantly being shocked, which is ironic. Given the God of thunder, uh, constantly being hit by the car. Uh, one of the scenes that stood out to me is whenever again, that same one where he calls everybody name and leaves. He kisses Jane on the hand. And then as he walks away, Eric Selvig and Darcy don't know what to do. So they kind of do like this half halfback and they're both like confused. And then the final one, I point out that it made me laugh so much is when they decide that they're going to go find DOR in the background, Darcy starts loading her tastes just silently. So this movie is a lot funnier than
Jude: people. It is. Uh, so yeah, you hear that narrative of tight Tyco wanting to, to save Thor. I don't, he wasn't saving them from Bronto, you know, so maybe it was dark world. Dare I dare say Josh Wheaton
Trey: made him interesting. I think Avenger's door has a little bit more humor to it. Like straight up, not physical comedy. So it's like actually cracking jokes. Oh, well he's adopted kind of thing, but I think he got too serious and dark work. That'd be something to keep in mind when we get there and see, cause I can't think of any Thor jokes in the second one. Not, not like, uh, any jokes at all. Just jokes that Thor makes
Jude: age of Ultron. What do you think? The, there was the one where he, where at the end and he was like stalling. So vision could come in and hit him with the hammer with Mila.
Trey: I'm trying to think. I feel like there's some and party the party scene.
Jude: There's
Trey: just not a lot, but I can't quite place it.
Jude: No, not enough. That, that it clearly it's not rememorable right. This moment.
Trey: So I wonder if that's the difference. There is humor, but the character himself became funny in Ragnarok. So that'll be something fun to chart as he continued through these interviews. All right. Finally, my last stray thought. And I tried to Google. This is a quick cursory, Google search. I didn't actually delve too deep, but I couldn't find a straight answer. Why is Hawkeye in this movie other than, other than trying to build
Jude: that world? That's the only reason why I think is, is the building the world, like you said, that that cohesive, we know of injuries is coming.
Trey: Yeah. It sticks out to me every, I think I remember watching it for the first time. He'd been like, okay, that's kinda weird. This guy's getting a lot of screen time for being a nameless Archer. And it seems just like not cohesive with like the SWAT ask military people. And then I didn't think anything of it, it sticks out a lot more now that we know who Clint is, especially after the hot guy series.
Jude: Well, it's funny you bring all that up. One of the things I'll just go throw this in as my last stray thought that whole sequence definitely had a different, uh, feel watching it after watching. Cause this is the one where, um, Hank Pym goes through and it was through this sequence because this is where Hawk I shot him.
Trey: Yeah. That stood out to me the scene where Loki multiplies himself also takes a form in that same episode with Hank Pym. Uh, I forgot. I think it's party, Thor opens up with Jane and them in the van. And so that was brought up there and sit and party Thor as well. Whenever Jane and Thor headed to reclaim the hammer. It's not a one for one, but it's that similar vibe of that conversation? Where, and the, what if I specifically remember thinking like, okay, here's going to be the moment where they dunk on the first door for having this weird, forced relationship, because it's like, why is she into this guy? That's clearly not great. And the, just us, what door did. It's it's, it's funny now, going back after seeing what, if, how that starts to all intermingle? Yeah. Well, cool. Uh, I, I think that might do it for our Thor retrospective
Jude: review. I think so. I enjoyed it. I, you know, it's, it's funny. Cause you, you mentioned the feeling of the pressure. And I probably said, I said this on pipe, I think. And it definitely off part of doing this after having this beat homecoming, is it my favorite MCU movie? No, but I still think it's a solid entry. I really enjoyed the rewatch. It really thinks there's a lot of good things there.
Trey: It's an, it's a interesting capsule of the MCU getting off the ground, running kind of thing. You see things working, you see what doesn't work and you see what carries on through, through the frame. What's so funny and I'm glad you keep, you brought it up of, it's a good fit that we're doing this. After last week, we had already recorded the bracket episode when we decided to do this, but it had not been out yet. So we made this decision before we saw people's reactions and I'm going, the first ones was like so
Jude: fun. There's a lot of fun.
Trey: Yeah, well, unless you've got any final words, I think we can go ahead and put a bow on this episode.
Jude: Let's take it, let's take it in.
Trey: So if you'd like to reach us, you can always reach us at MC you need to know both on Twitter and Instagram. Like I said, at the top of show, I'm going to be taking a break through the month of June, but you go ahead and follow us on there. Anyway, once we do get started up again.
Jude: Yeah. And of course, long form reach out on the, on the Gmail, uh, MCU need to know@gmail.com jump onto the discord link at the below, um, or the phone number below, give us a voicemail, whatever works. Um, as I said at the beginning, I think both of us are looking to, to looking forward to July after Trey's downtime and on social media and the downtime that I've taken on social media. Um, but again, Wonderful community there. Uh, we appreciate everyone that listened to everyone that's joined in, um, and continue having that by sharing with a friend.
Trey: Yeah. We'd also like to thank Nick Sandy for these of our theme song, which is his rendition of the Avengers theme. You buy more of his, we're going to SoundCloud, which is linked in the show notes as well. Well, that's going to do it. Thank you so much for listening and June. Thank you so much for doing this. We'll see you all next week with Ms. Marvel. I can't wait.
Jude: I'm so excited.
Trey: Bye So, yeah, you look to the side, you looked mystique.
' Jude: cause. That was, I was all of a sudden, you mentioned Ms. Marvel to take an old guest, Ms. Marvel. Okay. Who do we?
Trey: Oh, we still got to settle on guests. So I think we never talked about it, but I think you're right. Pull back and then see how we feel for Seahawks. So three this year, this year, this semester, this season,
Jude: the season of miss Mormon. I'm not even a
Trey: teacher.
Jude: You should have to go get, go get, do a low stakes thing. Get like your teaching media certification
Trey: show up first day of class. Just turn it off. No media read a book.
Jude: We are going to it's for mental health, take downtime from October through November. Rolling away into Christmas.
Trey: Every every class day, it'll just be an hour of you just getting to unclog. And that's what I want you to know about media. Just stay away.
Jude: Do you have any homework? Yeah, I'm just going to turn my stuff off.
Trey: All right. Class today's homework tweet and don't look how many likes it gets. Just let it exist. That's its own place. Do not deride self-worth from fake internet points.
Jude: You're going to break FOMO today. I mean, why do you turn off your stuff? Because I just heard something big broke. I can tell you what it is, the
Trey: world's ending, but you're going to have to wait until the five o'clock news to find out what.