On today’s episode, I spend time with Michael Hyatt. Michael Hyatt is the founder and CEO of Michael Hyatt & Company, a leadership development firm specializing in transformative live events, workshops, and digital and physical planning tools. In his newest book, Free to Focus, Michael reveals to readers nine proven ways to win at work so they are finally free to succeed at the rest of life. Michael has been married to his wife, Gail, for forty years. They have five daughters, three sons-in-law, and eight grandchildren. They live just outside Nashville, Tennessee.
https://www.blinkist.com/timecrafting and start your 7-day free trial today!
Everyone gets 168 hours a week and yet for some it never feels like enough. Work gobbles up the lion's share. Most people think productivity is about finding or saving time. But it's not. It's about making our time work for us. In Michael’s book Free to Focus he reveals to readers nine proven ways to win at work so they are finally free to succeed at the rest of life —their health, relationships, hobbies, and more. He helps readers redefine their goals, evaluate what's working, cut out the nonessentials, focus on the most important tasks, manage their time and energy, and build momentum for a lifetime of success.
- On Michael’s new book, Free to Focus (01:58)
- On Michael's definition and background on productivity (02:35)
- On the idea of hitting the reset button (03:39)
- Scheduling every hour of the day vs. leaving white space in your calendar (06:48)
- On making time for others (07:40)
- On how to not forget things (10:13)
- The idea of the intersection between passion and proficiency (11:25)
- How to say "no" with grace (14:38)
- Tips for delegation, scaling yourself and getting an assistant (22:01)
- How the book Free to Focus came to be (25:58)
- On planning and mapping your week (29:15)
- What is a backstage and frontstage work (32:40)
- Ideas on how to beat distractions (37:30)
- On productivity being a personal thing (43:25)
- How does it feel to be Michael Hyatt the leader? (45:30)
- What does journaling look like for a Michael Hyatt? (46:48)
- Parting advice to the listeners (50:10)
“We have got to ask ourselves, what is it that we are trying to achieve through productivity? The first part of the book is all under the umbrella of STOP. We have got to stop and ask ourselves why are we on this hamster wheel? What is it that we are trying to accomplish? And where is it leading?”
What is The Productivityist Podcast: A Time Management and Personal Productivity Talk Show?
Hosted by productivity strategist Mike Vardy, The Productivityist Podcast is a weekly show that discusses tips, tools, tactics, and tricks that are designed to help you take your productivity, time management, goals, to do lists, habits, and workflow to new heights - both at work and at home. If you're looking to focus your efforts on getting the right things done and start living the good life, then this weekly conversational podcast – crafted in the tradition of Slate's Working, Back to Work, and HBR IdeaCast – is for you.