Are you a manager looking for a quick summary of a record label you’re talking to? Maybe you want to compare the label you work for with a competitor? We’ve got a solution for you in our new Labels Page!.... chartmetric.com @chartmetric #chartmetric #dataallday #musicbusiness #musicindustry #cnco #armadamusic #monstercat #ultramusic #300entertainment
- Are you a manager looking for a quick summary of a record label you’re talking to? Maybe you want to compare the label you work for with a competitor? We’ve got a solution for you in our new Labels Page!
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- We’re on the socials at “chartmetric”, that’s Chartmetric, no “S ”- follow us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, and talk to us! We’d love to hear from you.
- This is your Data Dump for Wednesday, July 31st, 2019.
- New Feature: Labels Page
- Debuting this week is a new feature simply called the Labels Page! We’re still putting tweaks on how we’re visualizing and organizing the data, but we’re hoping you can get a good idea of what certain imprints have been up to lately.
- First and foremost, it isn’t an exhaustive list of labels in our entire database, because that would equal long load times.
- So we try to focus on more active labels with better known tracks.
- Specifically, this translates to labels that have released at least one track on Spotify with a Popularity Index of 40 or higher, in the past three years.
- The Labels List defaults to the highest number of such popular releases in the past 3 years...
- ...with Sony Music Entertainment having the most with 747 as of today, Columbia Records in 2nd with 711 and then RCA Records in 3rd place with 432.
- So notice that we are currently displaying both parent group labels as well as label imprints alongside each other, since this is how we receive tracks’ metadata, but we’ll keep optimizing this down the road.
- Once you click on various labels, we display their artists who’ve released in the past 60 days, along with releases in the past three years and even each label’s social media followers over time!
- For example, you can check out that Sony Music Latin’s top performer in the past 60 days is CNCO, the Latin boy band that we blogged about back in December 2017 (link in the show notes).
- CNCO is at a 78 Spotify Popularity Index, with an impressive 5.7M followers on the platform and 9.3M monthly listeners.
- Their latest release on the label was “De Cero” a little over a month ago on June 23rd, which is also on 43 Apple Music playlists, 25 Amazon Music playlists and 18 Deezer ones...which you can see quickly here in one page.
- You will also be able to get quick personalities of labels via their release numbers…
- ...for example, Armada Music, as an electronic label, doesn’t have many releases that got over 60 on the Spotify Popularity Index in the past three years, as electronic as a genre has never been the strongest type of music on Spotify (which we also blogged about in Jan 2018, link in show notes).
- However, Armada has released 810 tracks in the past three years that we’re tracking, while similarly electronic genre labels do a similar pace like Monstercat at 785 and Ultra at 767.
- You can compare this with the 442 that 300 Entertainment has put out in the same time period, which is still a fast pace at over 12 releases per month...to be expected for a rap label in a genre that is well-known for constantly dropping new music.
- Get to know foreign labels like India’s T-Series or Brazil’s Som Livre via our Labels feature as well...we’ll surely include more label analysis down the road, but for now, check it out yourself with a free account at chartmetric.com
- That’s it for your Daily Data Dump for Wednesday, July 31st, 2019. This is Jason from Chartmetric.
- Article links and show notes are at: podcast.chartmetric.com
- Happy Wednesday, see you on Friday!
What is Your Music Data Dump from Chartmetric?
Fan followers, playlist ranks, monthly listeners...welcome to the world of music business data!
Join Chartmetric, one of the music industry's leading music analytics tools, for your morning shot of the latest news on music charts, artists on the move and influential playlists.
As of Nov 2019, releasing 2-3 times a month for a longer format.
Full show notes: https://podcast.chartmetric.com
#entertainmentindustry #musicbusiness #musicindustry #data