Michael: Hello and welcome to Postgres.FM, a weekly show about all things PostgreSQL. I am Michael, founder of pgMustard. This is my co-host, Nikolay, founder of Postgres.AI. Hey Nikolay.
Nikolay: Hi Michael. How are you?
Michael: Good. How are you?
Nikolay: Very good.
Michael: Well, yeah, me too.
Haki: Thank you for asking.
Nikolay: Thank you for asking.
Haki: Like I'm here too. If you just want to keep chat among yourselves, I'll just wait here.
Nikolay: Look, look, we have a guest today.
Haki: Yeah. Hi.
Michael: Yeah. We are delighted to have a guest today and it is the one and only Haki Benita, technical lead and database enthusiast who also writes an excellent blog over at hakibenita.com that we've mentioned many times on the podcast before. He also gives popular talks and training sessions. Thank you so much for joining us.
Haki: Thank you for having me. Big fan, very excited.
Nikolay: The blog is great. If someone didn't read it yet, like it's, it's a must-read for, I think, and long reads, right? So, It's long reads, but not very frequent. I guess it's not possible to make them frequent, right?
Haki: Yeah, it's a lot of work.
Nikolay: Funny story is we agreed that our bot will have your blog post in our knowledge base.
Haki: Yeah, that's right.
Nikolay: And thank you for that. And like a few days ago, I told the team like, you know, like this part of our knowledge base was not updated since January, since alpha release. And now we're approaching beta release. And they said, no problem, we'll update and pay attention to this blog, I said, and then they came and said, we have updated only one article added since January, but it makes sense because long reads require a lot of time. I know it very well. Right.
Haki: Yeah. It takes a very long time to produce these types of articles. Yeah, I know. I've been writing for a very, very long time and I've been very surprised about this article. I'll be honest with you, you know, after you write for some time, you start to develop like a sense of which ones are going to do well and be very accepted. And which ones are going to be like, you know, just one for the, for the archives. So, you know, when I wrote stuff like comparing pandas to, to SQL, I knew that it's going to be a hit because people like pandas. And if you say pandas is slow, then people are going to hate you. And when I wrote this, me and Michael wrote something about hash indexes a few years back, and I think it's a top result for Postgres hash index on just about every search engine. So that one, you know, you, you released that one, you know, that it's going to do well, but then I released this one. I said, man, it's so long, such a niche problem. No, no chance anybody's actually going to read all of that. And I was very surprised by the amount of responses that I received to this article. And I think the most surprising comment that I received on this article is that a lot of Postgres people didn't know about merge. Now I came from, I came from Oracle, so I knew all about merge. And actually when I came to Postgres, I wrote a lot of ETL processes and I really wanted merge and I didn't have merge, so I had to learn about INSERT ON CONFLICT. So a lot of people told me this is the first time I heard about merge. Such a cool command.
Nikolay: Because it's new, it's still new.
Haki: I know.
Nikolay: It was 15, right? 15. So it's super new.
Haki: And also to be honest, INSERT ON CONFLICT is like what you want. 99% of the cases. And while merge is nice, I think that ON CONFLICT is, you seem pissed. Why, why did I say?
Nikolay: Well, it was you describing your article, why it's bad, right? Let's talk about why it's bad. These gaps in sequences, like a BLOAT created. Yeah. This is not what people want. Right. I know. Let's step, let's step back. Like our, Michael likes us to pronounce the topic.
Haki: I have to tell you something. I have to tell you something. It's funny. Okay. I have to tell you something. So when I talked with Michael about doing this show and I asked him, okay, let's do it. Can you give me like a rough outline of how it's going to go? And he told me, I can tell you how it's going to go, but to be honest, if Nikolay is going to be on the show, then I can't promise anything.
Michael: I can't promise any structure.
Nikolay: Well, I see you are the same type of person, actually.
Haki: I don't know. You delivered like on the first 5 minutes.
Nikolay: Don't follow the agenda, right? So you said that you were surprised this topic would be popular, but how come? It's super popular. It's like in computer science, particularly in databases, find or create, this is like a super common pattern, right? And the fact that in Postgres, the solutions have so many pros and cons, like it's super interesting because everyone needs it actually. Yeah. You build something, you want this, right?
Haki: Yeah. I'm going to tell you a secret. After I published this article, I actually discovered that there are still situations where you get very unpredictable results. Okay. And, and, and, and I've done some experimenting in the past 2 weeks based on comments that I received and I haven't cracked it yet. Yeah. It gets a lot more complicated. And I'll even tell you another secret. There's a very, in my opinion, an unexpected difference between the way merge and insert on conflict behave under different circumstances. But, you know, we promised Michael that we'll describe the topic before we actually dive into the details.
Nikolay: Right. Let's name the topic. Yeah.
Michael: Well, I was interested in your thoughts on this actually, because I feel like you deliberately called your blog post get or create. Whereas from the database side of it, I've always thought of it as like INSERT or SELECT. And I think Nikolay's called it that, but in the past in like a how-to guide and things. So we'll link up the blog post and we'll link up Nikolay's how to, and there's like a few other things. I think one of the things you're referencing about how it's become even more complicated in the last few weeks was like you linked me to a great answer by Erwin Brandstetter on Stack Overflow that discusses this as well, but it's a surprise. It sounds really simple, right? SELECT or INSERT, get or create. It seems such a simple piece of functionality. And in small, low traffic systems, it can be like you can, like any newbie developer could come up with a solution to this problem. It just gets complicated when you have to factor in concurrency and MVCC implementation and things. So, yeah, I loved your post. I found it really interesting how complicated this could get, But yeah, maybe we should start simple and like, it'd be great to hear a little bit about like you, you both said it's quite a common thing that you come, like you have to implement it quite often. I haven't had to that often. Like I've got a couple of occasions, but not maybe not as often as you. So I'd be interested to hear like where you're coming across this.
Haki: Okay. So my use case was very similar to what I actually implemented in the article because I had this organization table and we had members and we wanted to have users be able to tag members with their own tags and we wanted to encourage reuse of tags. Otherwise, they don't make much sense. So we've set up this very simple HTML form. Now HTML forms are not SPAs. They're not, they're not very complicated. You can send JSON. You just send a list of names, like from a radio selection or like an autocomplete, whatever. So at the end of the day, the server receives a list of strings and it wants to set these tags on the member. Now, if the tag exists, you want to reuse the tag. And if the tag does not exist, you want to create a new tag and get the ID. Because the next step would be to get all the IDs and put them in the table associating tags with members, right? So that's the first part where you have a list of tag names and you want to get or create tags. This is where I came to this idea. Now, the thing that surprised me is that now this is not a very high traffic part of the application. I could have done the brute force approach would have been just fine. But you know, I wrote some unit testing and 1 of the tests was, let's see what happens when you just have an existing tag, you want to make sure that it's reused. So I use INSERT ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING with RETURNING *. So I expected that if I insert, for example, 2 tags and 1 of them already exists, I expected to get 2 tags in return. But in fact, what I got was just 1 tag. So this was very strange to me. So at this point I started investigating, you know, and starting to explore why this is happening. And in fact, the first thing that I thought about was let's do a meaningless UPDATE. Like instead of doing ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING, I did ON CONFLICT SET ID = EXCLUDED.ID. Like let's fool the database into thinking that this tag was modified. So I get, get that in return, but it really bugged me because it's very like, it's a very ugly solution. Why would I want to update something for no reason just to get it back? So this is where, you know, all the, the different scenarios started to uncover. And as I tested farther and farther, I came to the conclusion like, Hell man, why is this so complicated? I mean, this, this is what database and applications do. This should be so simple. Why is this so complicated? And then I started digging and 1 of the places that I eventually arrived was Django. Django is a web framework and there's a, an implementation of get_or_create(). And what Django is doing, they try to fetch the record. If they find it, they return it. If they don't find it, they try to insert. Right. But then, and that's like the funny part, the non-intuitive part, then they actually handle an integrity, unique constraint violation, and then they try to get it again. This is the select, insert, select, but then it gets even more complicated because if you have a unique constraint violation inside a transaction, it aborts the transaction, right? You need to wrap the second insert in another transaction. Right.
Nikolay: Or use subtransactions. I think Django by default uses subtransactions, which is a very bad idea, actually, but we will talk about it later.
Haki: The reason that he uses subtransactions, and I know you're a very big fan of subtransaction, you use them all the time. You encourage everybody to use subtransactions. You wrote a very long blog post about why they are absolutely great and you should use them all the time. But the reason that you do that in Django, the reason that they're doing that is because if you happen to call this function inside a transaction of your own, and if you reach a unique constraint violation, it gets your transaction aborted. So that's a problem. So the only way that Django can make sure that they don't get your transaction aborted is to execute this part in a subtransaction of its own. Now There's also another very interesting thing that happens here. And this is also something that I mentioned in the article. Python encourages asking for forgiveness. So in Python, the idiom says that you should try something and then handle all the possible exceptions. So trying to insert a record and then handling the unique constraint violation is actually consistent with how you're expected to do things in Python. But it kind of conflicts with the way Postgres handles this situation. Because in Postgres, when you have an exception inside a transaction, it aborts the transaction, which is not a very good thing. So the approaches between how you would do things in Postgres and how you would do things in, in Python kind of clash in this case. I thought it was very interesting. So, you know, I explored different approaches, like what would be the equivalent of asking for forgiveness in Postgres, what would be the equivalent of looking before you leap, check all the preconditions in advance. So, yeah, it turned out to be way more complicated than I anticipated.
Nikolay: Yeah, that's interesting. And you explored several properties, right? Bloat, concurrency, constraint and idempotency, right?
Haki: Idempotency, yeah.
Nikolay: So I'm very curious. I saw some parts of benchmarks, but you decided not to include the performance to the resulting table when you compared methods. Why so? Performance is also interesting, right?
Haki: Performance is interesting. And I've seen some articles that do this from a performance point of view. In my situation, performance was not a concern. I was more focused on getting the functional attributes that I wanted, like idempotency, for example, was a lot more important to me than making it fast. Because at the end of the day, you don't UPDATE lots of tags. You probably set no more than 5. So performance was not a concern. I did want to focus on the functional attributes. Also, it got pretty long. So at some point you need to let something go, you know.
Nikolay: Right. Yeah. Let's maybe talk about your favorite method right now and for future. For future, I guess it's MERGE, right? Because in Postgres 17 it will have RETURNING clause. Actually, I didn't know. And when I read about it in your blog post, I immediately thought, oh, this is a candidate to be one of my favorite additions to Postgres 17. I somehow overlooked it. So it's great. MERGE was added to Postgres 15. It was being developed for more than 10 years, I think. It was a huge story. But it lacks RETURNING in 2015 and 2016. Now in 2017, to be honest, it's receiving RETURNING. It looks like all your checkboxes are green, right? You will choose this if you already was on, we are on Postgres 17, but before 17, what's your favorite method?
Haki: Well, INSERT ON CONFLICT, DO NOTHING with a UNION is currently my way to go. And I expect it to remain my go-to approach, mostly because of habit. And also because I experimented with the new MERGE under different circumstances in Postgres 17. And it turns out that MERGE can actually fail with unique constraint violation. So I found it unexpected. I don't know, because I don't know much about how these two are different in the underlying implementation, but I'm guessing that they are not implemented the same way.
Nikolay: And we talk about it commitment level.
Haki: Yes, of course.
Nikolay: I think it also matters, right? It's the lowest.
Haki: Yeah. So, so after I published this article, I, some reader reached out to me and he said, I really liked your posts and everything is very comprehensive, blah, blah, blah, But there is one race condition that can still cause inconsistent results. So basically, if you have two sessions inserting the exact same tag at the exact same time, then you can end up with a situation where using INSERT ON CONFLICT, you would not get idempotency. meaning the first statement would return the tag, but the second would return nothing. And the reason for that is when you start the first transaction, you INSERT the tag A. So tag A does not exist and INSERT, INSERT the tag, right? And then you get that in return, but then you don't COMMIT. Now another session starts, the transaction begins, and now you do the exact same thing. You do INSERT tag A ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING, RETURNING *, and then you SELECT from the table and SELECT from the RETURNING. What's happening now is interesting, because right now, the row is LOCKED. So, the second session hangs. So now you COMMIT the first session. So the second session at this point is going to return nothing. And the reason is INSERT ON CONFLICT LOCKED. It encountered a unique constraint violation, so the row was not inserted. But then when you tried to SELECT from the table, it found nothing because the snapshot is older than the other transaction. So this is a scenario where, where you get, you don't get idempotency. You expect to get the same output in both cases, but you don't. And the more interesting thing is if you do the exact same exercise with MERGE, you get different results. What do you get? Can you guess? I found it to be surprising. If you do the exact same experiment with MERGE, you are going to get unique constraint violation. Even though you can say in the MERGE clause, you can say ON CONFLICT, DO NOTHING WHEN MATCHED, DO NOTHING. You are still going to get unique constraint violation. So this raises a question of whether MERGE is really, or I would, I wouldn't want to say something like, is it safe in concurrent, highly concurrent reloads, but it doesn't do what it promises. Better understanding of how MERGE handles these types of situations, you know.
Nikolay: Yeah. It shouldn't produce unique constraint violation in read committed, but it does. But it should be easy to check based on what you say, like if you just do pgbench multiple sessions in parallel doing the same thing, right?
Haki: It's very easily reproducible. You just need 2 terminal windows and you can immediately replicate it. I, the thing I found to be, I would say disturbing. Yeah. And I'm using air quotes for those of you just listening is that when you do MERGE and you set ON MATCH, DO NOTHING, you don't expect to get Unique constraint violation. Right. If I wrote this statement in my code, I would not handle any Constraint violation. Okay. Because if I'm inserting into a row and I know that it can raise, I would handle the situation and do whatever I need to do, but I would not expect to get integrity error when I explicitly handle the case where there is a match. So I found this to be surprising. So to answer your previous question, what would I use now? And that's a, that's a tough choice between you don't get the expected result to you get an exception. You know, when I'm thinking about right now, I think that it kind of makes sense to get the exception. Right?
Nikolay: Yeah. Well, I guess we're moving from the end of article backwards, right? So much, this, the problem you describe, is it discussed somewhere? Like, do you know, like, like this behavior was discussed in mailing lists or somewhere, no?
Haki: I don't know. Maybe I'm guessing that it might have, but I haven't seen any. And it also, as you said, it's kind of new in Postgres. So it's possible that some of the people that worked on it didn't have enough time to actually document it. I wouldn't say document, but maybe write these types of articles on it, analyzing how it behaves under different circumstances.
Nikolay: Yeah. I'm curious. I think this should be documented. Maybe, maybe it's actually documented. We should check, But it's super interesting. I never used MERGE in production, never, ever. But yeah, so what... Well, honestly, most production systems are still behind a lot in terms of major version. But moving backwards, in SERP, on conflict, do nothing or do UPDATE. This is interesting because we said our goal is find or create or get or create, right? But when you say, let's also UPDATE, it's like a third layer of logic, right? Find or create, but if you found also UPDATE, like it's, it's more complicated. I like it, but it's already a different task, right?
Haki: Yeah. Well, you know, when I wrote lots of ETL, I don't know, 15 years ago in, in Oracle, I used MERGE all the time. It put like a third hand every time I needed to do anything, I would use MERGE because when you do ETL processes, you're basically taking data from one place and you want to sync it to some kind of target. So you use MERGE all the time. In Postgres, I kind of gotten used to not using it. And also some may also claim that the whole ETL, the way that we do ETL now is kind of different than the way we used to do ETL 15 years ago. A lot of it is the same, but some of it is still kind of different. Yeah, I think it's interesting. And I, and hopefully when more people adopt MERGE, I know that it was a very desirable feature, right? A lot of people wanted that. Right.
Nikolay: People
Haki: were very excited when it came out. It was all in there. What I anticipate, what I expect, most in version, you know, the MERGE command. So hopefully we're going to see some people doing interesting stuff with MERGE.
Nikolay: Yeah. And I was surprised to see, so there is a difference between, in certain ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING and DO UPDATE in the table you provided in the end of the article and DO UPDATE, there is a like red cross in the column of bloat, meaning that it has bloat issues, so obviously update, okay. But also you have a green checkbox for INSERT ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING. The thing is that when we created our bot, we also used INSERT ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING for the knowledge base. For example, if your article gets inserted, it searches if this URL is known already. And if it's known already, DO NOTHING. We decided not to apply update yet. So I was surprised to see you concluded that there is no bloat issues because we had a lot of activity, a lot of data to insert and it suffers from bloat. We have gaps. So if you have a collision, right? So you insert something, you try to insert and DO NOTHING. It actually generates that tuple, I think. No,
Haki: No, I think that, first of all, gaps,
Nikolay: gaps for sure. I just
Haki: checked it.
Nikolay: Gaps for sure.
Haki: Yeah. Gaps for sure. And okay. I know what you're talking about. You, you, you're talking about the, the issue of bloat, right? So this is also a very interesting topic, which I briefly mentioned, but I think that this is also something that some people commented about that they weren't aware of the fact that it causes bloat. So apparently in Postgres, when you have unique constraint violation, it can cause bloat because the way it works is that Postgres tries to, it basically inserts the row into the table and then it checks that there are no unique constraint violations, right? And if there is a unique constraint violation, this row is marked as dead, which causes bloat. So this is what's happening if you rely, heavily rely on catching unique constraint violation. However, however, however, and this is also in the original RDS article, which is how I found out about it. It was also very unexpected that unique constraint violation would cause bloat. But according to the article and according to the benchmarks that I've done, when you use INSERT ON CONFLICT, it uses a different mechanism that can check in advance for collisions, which prevents bloat. So I'm pretty confident that INSERT ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING cause bloat, which is a big plus for DO NOTHING. And also, you know, we, we talked before about the difference between how you do things in Python, like asking for forgiveness versus look before you leap. So in Python, the pattern that is encouraged, basically try to do something and then handle the exception can end up causing lots of bloat, which is a problem. So if you have a process with lots of collisions where you actually rely on unique constraint violation, this is something that you need to think about.
Nikolay: Right. So yeah, I double-checked. You're right. No bloat, but the sequence gaps are happening. We have a sequence gap.
Haki: You know, there was a period where I liked to ask in a job interviews, how would you implement gapless sequences? Well, have you ever talked about this?
Michael: Evil question.
Haki: Evil question. Yeah.
Nikolay: Yeah. It has many depths to go into, right? Yeah. Deeper, deeper, deeper. Yeah.
Michael: There's a company that a few of my friends and former colleagues work at called incident.io. They do like incident management within things like Slack and teams. And they had this issue where they, well, they blogged about it, but they wanted gapless sequences for their incident numbers. They didn't, The customers got confused by the idea of the incident number jumping by like 5 when they'd only had, you know, they've had 1 incident, then a second incident, a third incident, suddenly they're on incident 6. What happened? So there's a really nice blog post there. We can explain how that was. But I'm curious, why are you bothered by sequence gaps, Nikolay? Why is that an issue?
Nikolay: Well, it's not a big issue. It might be an issue for some cases, but actually I don't care. It gave me a false impression that there is bloat. But now I double-checked, I'm absolutely right. No bloat. So INSERT ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING probably is the winner in Postgres 16 or older.
Michael: I've got a question here, because you mentioned the kind of trade-off between the issues in the highly concurrent cases or like the potential issue of INSERT ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING returning null if you happen to have this case with the 2 concurrent sessions inserting the exact same tag at the same time, wouldn't INSERT ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE avoid that issue at the cost of some bloat?
Haki: Well, that's a different issue. The issue I describe is that when you have 2 transactions trying to insert a new tag at the same time, the same new tag at the same time, then the second ON CONFLICT would not do anything and it would also not return anything. This is the unexpected part because one of my requirements is that the operation would be idempotent. So if I give it tag a, I expect to get an item returned. So in this case, there is a scenario where I provide it with a list of N tags and I get less than N tags in return.
Michael: But if they both updated, imagine if both concurrent sessions were doing INSERT ON CONFLICT UPDATE, they both get to the update stage. You get 2 updates, but you still get back all the tags that you wanted to insert.
Haki: First of all, in my scenario, I don't update. This is a very, a lot of people got this very confused. This is why I added the comment and some people made like a very, let's call them funny comments about it. Okay. But there's a difference between upsert where you want to update or insert, which is also a very, a very popular pattern. In this case, by the way, it's simpler because if you actually update the row, then it's going to get returned by RETURNING STAR.
Michael: Returning.
Haki: Yeah. So that's like the easy case. In my case, I don't want to touch the row, but I still want to get it back. This is why get_or_create() is like a more difficult variation of UPSERT. If you will. Okay. So, there's a tricky part. So apparently there's no good solution. By the way, the post by Erwin on Stack Overflow lands on a brute force solution where you basically loop until you get what you expect. I don't know if I would have, if I, maybe this is the way to go.
Nikolay: Loop where in, in a different language or in PL/pgSQL?
Haki: He ended up writing a function where you essentially loop and you need constraint violations. Yeah.
Nikolay: But you, you need a subtransaction. So this is no go for me. Definitely. Right. This doesn't scale. I mean, this,
Haki: Nikolay, you are a man with a mission.
Nikolay: Well, it's, it's no joke. I, I would have clients literally last week I spent like half 1 hour, and people went and switched off it in Django. Because it hurts, it hurts constantly people, like subtransaction SLRU, wait a minute. It happens all the time. The fact that Django by default uses them and people don't realize and then come to us with subtransaction SLRU, it's good for my income, but it's bad in general. By the way, I wanted to highlight 1 thing. If you do INSERT ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING, RETURNING STAR, it won't return anything if a row already exists. I just wanted to highlight that you have a trick. You use CTE, right? And then SELECT for such case, right. Yeah. Additionally, with UNION, right?
Haki: Yeah, that's right.
Nikolay: UNION or what?
Haki: Yeah. This is the only way that he can actually communicate between parts of a query. Otherwise, they all see the same snapshot and you don't get.
Nikolay: This is a trick also not straightforward at all. Honestly. Yeah. Like some people can move away from INSERT ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING just because of that.
Michael: Yeah. Right. Yeah. One of many cool tricks in that book.
Haki: I went through this process where I try to figure out, wait, I just inserted this row while, when I SELECT outside the CTE, I
Nikolay: don't get it.
Michael: Yeah. Yeah. I understand there's some costs to UPSERT, but given the complexity we're running into here, is it, would you both see it as acceptable to pay that extra cost, the kind of heavier, I know you mentioned the double hit of the table being annoying, but like those updates, even though they'd be setting the tag name to the exact same tag name, potentially over and over again. Again. I just see the guarantees that provides is so attractive.
Haki: I'll be honest with you. I understand what you're saying and you're probably correct. This is like the practical approach, but I would not do it. It just bugs me. I would not do it. I would not do a meaningless update just to save, I would just do two queries. I would INSERT, and then I would SELECT. Separately.
Nikolay: Like an INSERT fallback, INSERT fallback, you end up having a lot of bloat depending on the concrete situation. So this, so subtransactions and bloat, huge limitations of performance here. Right?
Haki: I know. I think this is a scenario. This is a case where you kind of understand the limitation and restrictions of the database and you kind of end up solving it at the application level. Now, you mentioned at the beginning, I know that I, well, get_or_create() is, is useful, but I haven't had a chance to implement it as much. So yeah, for the rare occasion, what I actually need to do get or create, I would just do it at the application level because as it turns out, it's very complicated at the database level.
Nikolay: Right. In applications, it becomes simpler. You like, you don't deal with, probably don't deal with subtransactions and bloat, but latency like there are trip times between attempts to do one step, another step, it increases chances of failures, right? I mean, collisions and so on. Yeah.
Haki: But you know, if, if my main business is to get or create, I would come up with a very innovative solution, put a lot of engineering work into it. But if it's just updating tags for members in an organization, I would go. Yeah. But I understand what you're saying. I spent a lot of time doing unnecessary optimizations on, you know, weird places in the code just for fun. I do it all the time. Yeah. Like 90% of my blog posts are inspired by these strange endeavors where I try to optimize things. So yeah, I, this is interesting. And I think that this very simple problem surfaced a lot of issues. I also learned a lot from writing this. It got me interested in, in speculative insertion, the mechanism used by INSERT ON CONFLICT. It, I think, broadened my understanding of how the interaction between different queries and a common table expressions work within the same query. No, lots of things that I'm now aware of them. So at least I'm better equipped to debug issues I might have and don't even know about.
Michael: Yeah. Yeah. I really liked it as a journey. I would encourage people to read this, even if they don't have this problem, just as a, almost as just to watch somebody go through this problem. And you know, I feel like you've included things as well. I like there's 1 section that's I took a long time as well, like that. And that's so helpful to share those things with people. Cause otherwise you can read some of these blog posts and they just sound like the person knew, like just got it right straight away. And it's quite frustrating as somebody that quite often goes down long-term for me reading those. So I appreciated that.
Nikolay: I just wish you had also some warning about subtransactions anyway.
Haki: You know what, let me just change the banner. The top of the website, instead of the about page, I would just place like this huge warning, They don't need subtransactions.
Nikolay: Let me put right here. If you see a PL/pgSQL with BEGIN, EXCEPTION WHEN or something. So anyway, nested BEGIN... END blocks, this is subtransaction.
Haki: Yeah. But in this case, it's warranted because otherwise, it cancels any calling transaction. So that would be the responsible thing to do in this case. But you know what? Maybe it needs a comment saying this is a good subtransaction.
Nikolay: It's not a good subtransaction because if you have high...
Haki: This is the least worst type of subtransaction.
Nikolay: I cannot agree with you here because you talk about, you explore clashes and concurrency issues. Yeah. It means you think that there will be a lot of sessions issuing this query. It means eventually the project will bump into this wall. Good subtransactions is, for example, DDL, which happens not often in 1 session. This is good. And even there, it can become bad. But here I cannot agree because we should consider multiple sessions fighting and this is where things can go wrong.
Haki: What you're saying reinforces what I'm saying that in this situation, because it's so complicated in the database, I would just elevate that to the application level and try to find a solution there to avoid all the complexity. But it was a nice thought exercise, understanding different types of transactions.
Nikolay: Just to try regular, regular transaction, just to try regular transaction maybe. Right. Yeah. It should not be so complex, right?
Haki: I know. I was surprised that it was so complicated.
Nikolay: Why is it so?
Michael: What do you, like, what would you both like as a, is it that you would like MERGE to work as expected? Like what is the nice solution on the database side for this?
Haki: Well, the dream syntax would be for SELECT DO NOTHING RETURNING STAR to just return everything. That would be like the dream syntax.
Nikolay: I think part of the problem is that RETURNING STAR is quite like not super popular thing, which was added later to INSERT and UPDATE and DELETE. It was not originally there. So it's not a super natural thing.
Michael: Also, once you've defined that behavior, it's so difficult to like, you can't change the behavior for existing applications.
Haki: You can't. And I can even give you an example because you usually use INSERT ON CONFLICT. With, you know, there is no MERGE command in Postgres. So if you want to sync data, you use INSERT ON CONFLICT and then when matched do nothing. OK. And more often what you want to do is you want to avoid the unnecessary updates. So you do when matched, do UPDATE where something actually changed. OK. And then some rows end up not being affected. So at this point you do RETURNING star. And then usually what I like to do in my ETL processes is I count the rows so I can log how many rows were affected. Right? So now the question is, if I expect to get the number of affected rows, we go for a circle here. I know. So if I'm just expecting that the affected rows, that if I'm going to get rows that were not affected, also very strange, right?
Nikolay: Right.
Haki: Yeah. So what's the conclusion? Come on, guys. I mean, what's the conclusion? Just do it in the application?
Nikolay: Don't go there. The main conclusion is don't go there. Don't think about it.
Haki: Yeah.
Nikolay: If an error happens, it only confirms that application developers should implement proper retry logic. Always. If a transaction fails, code should be ready to retry it. That's it. Universal solution to everything.
Haki: We should rename this to just do it in the application FM. Well, it's complicated FM.
Michael: It's complicated.
Haki: No, it is complicated. No, no jokes aside. It is. I don't know why it's so complicated, but it is.
Michael: Turns out concurrency is hard.
Haki: Yeah. You know, one of the things that I remember is that when I read this RDS article about a unique constraint violation causing bloat, I was shocked. I was shocked because coming from Python, I'm like encouraged to trigger exceptions. This is how I do things. I fail and then I, I adjust. So, that was very strange for me. I have this entire lecture about how to handle concurrency with a short URL system and everything. Like there's a problem of how you generate short random IDs. How do you do it? You need to, if you know, like a short URL system, you need to generate keys, very small keys. So the space is limited. So you want to generate random unique keys. So how do you do it? So you end up in a solution where you try to INSERT and then you loop until you don't get unique constraint violations anymore. Right. And now all I'm thinking is I may have caused lots of bloat without intention. Maybe you have a better solution. By the way, it's very similar to the question about the gap, the sequences.
Michael: Yeah. I get that bloat is bad, right? Like I understand, I see lots of slow queries that are caused by bloat, but once you're aware of it, it's like something that can be managed. And you've written a great blog post about how to manage it at Haki as well, that I'll include. But it feels to me like it might be one of those pains worth paying sometimes when you're aware, like every single PostgreSQL table is going to have some bloat in it, in a natural work life. You're not going to get it down to zero, even when you do some of these maintenance tasks. So we're always managing some amount. It's just like, what's a, what's a healthy amount and can, can we keep it within those boundaries? It's going to be more painful with certain workflows. Like maybe once we're getting near the end of that, like once we get past maybe halfway full of that space, we're starting like an average of 2 tries per unique URL might start to get annoying. So maybe that's the point where you start expanding the space. by an extra digit or something. I don't, I imagine that once you're aware of the problems, you can design a solution that isn't that bad and then manage the bloat.
Haki: Well, it all boils down to how many collisions you actually expect to get.
Nikolay: I think the fact that rollback inserts cause bloat makes me think that only undo people can save us someday.
Michael: We had a quote last week.
Nikolay: The new term, undo people. Because indeed, if you think
Michael: about it,
Nikolay: this different approach would place a new row in the same position on the page, right? And if it's committed, it's there. If not, like, I mean, the different approach would not cause bloat if an insert is rolled back. Right. So this is just the design of PostgreSQL's MVCC we should blame. Right. Yeah. It's very unexpected for sure.
Haki: Yeah. Well, at least we can run very long queries without worrying about undo segments running out.
Nikolay: Yeah.
Michael: I've been there. And it's great to have an old group, like a former ORACLE person understanding the downsides of undo too. Right. Haki, any, any last things that we should have mentioned that we didn't?
Nikolay: And
Haki: no, I think that we zigzagged across this article very, very nicely. Nikolay definitely delivered on his promise.
Nikolay: Yeah. Well, are you planning part 2 with benchmarks?
Haki: I don't know if I still don't care much about performance in this case, but I think that I might add an update on some of the findings about how merge and insert can end up eventually causing a unique constraint violation and non-idempotent results, I hope that you implemented upsert so you can identify where blog post is updated. So your AI can answer this correctly.
Nikolay: Oh, this is good. Good goal. Actually, we don't have.
Haki: Yeah. Misconceptions about blog posts. They never update. Yeah. I just solved your get or create problem. You can just update all the time.
Nikolay: It's not that easy because we have many pre-processing stuff for really long articles as yours, because you know, the LLM has usually has some limitation OpenAI has like 8K tokens as input, and I'm sure your article exceeds it a lot. So.
Haki: I try to write shorter ones.
Nikolay: Yeah. Probably you should have 2 versions. No, like for people who have issues with long reads. Yeah. I do actually.
Haki: You like blog posts in parts.
Nikolay: I like short versions till they are, but with some details.
Michael: I'm a big fan of long blog posts. I can, I know there's a lot of others out there too? So thank you for continuing to work for us.
Nikolay: Yeah. It's something that I I'm going to cite for sure. Yeah. Links will be used to this article. Yeah. Thank you for this.
Haki: I need an idea for the next 1. So if you have 1 ping me, I have a working title in my mind. It's called how to take a dump like a pro. I couldn't resist the title.
Nikolay: That's a huge topic actually.
Haki: Yeah. I've actually had some experience with it lately and I think that it's Interesting to see how you can optimize pg_dump with the different compression algorithms, how they affect the CPU. And when dumping in parallel is actually not useful at all.
Nikolay: Unpartitioned tables.
Haki: No, if you have 1 big table.
Nikolay: Right, it's possible, but you need to engineer yourself with snapshots and repeatable transactions.
Haki: So that's common.
Nikolay: And use ranges of IDs. This is what Patroni, for example, does for logical replication initialization. So it's possible, for sure.
Haki: Yeah, but I do have another consideration that you didn't think about. Because 1 of my restrictions was that I wanted to stream the output directly to S3 and not to the local file system. Imagine that you run this in a Lambda. In this case, using parallel is problematic, but using a single file, you can just stream it directly and skip the file system. And also if you want to pass the dump through some kind of encryption, then also doing things in parallel makes it a bit difficult. So yeah, different restrictions, different solution.
Nikolay: When you do this, like you, you find some like lacking feature. Do you have sometimes idea to implement something?
Haki: Implement?
Nikolay: To become a hacker. To become a hacker.
Haki: Oh, what, like contribute to Postgres?
Nikolay: Because if you, well, dump lacks a lot of stuff all the time, like, but it's super complicated to add some things there, but definitely it likes a lot of stuff. So I'm curious if you've had such feeling, like idea, like, Oh, I'm going to try to implement this. No?
Haki: I've looked at the Postgres code many, many times. I think that the documentation in the source itself is absolutely excellent. I remember when we worked on this, hash indexes article, we looked at the actual source file. There's lots of very, very useful information. By the way, this information was a lot more useful than anything I could find online, including the documentation itself. So it was absolutely excellent. And I think that the code is very well written. I'll be honest with you. I don't think I'm capable enough to contribute to Postgres itself. But, you know, I do from time to time think about my contribution, my type of contribution to the Postgres community. And I know that the most straightforward way to contribute to Postgres is to contribute code, but I feel like I contribute in my way by advocating for Postgres and educating people how to use Postgres correctly because I believe that if people would have good systems, they'll be happy with Postgres, they'll continue using it, they'll recommend it to their friends, and this is how you build a community. So I think that I'm more capable in telling stories, educate people about Postgres, working on ETL processes and applications that I do working on, you know, the tooling, the internal stuff. There are people much smarter than me that can do this stuff. I'll write about them.
Nikolay: Well, yeah. Postgres documentation lacks how-to recipes, and this is what you do. You describe some recipes and pros and cons. This is an excellent thing.
Haki: Yeah. War stories.
Michael: You absolutely do all those things, and we really appreciate it, Haki. Thank you so much for coming on as well. It's been a pleasure having you here.
Haki: Okay. Thank you, Nikolay, Michael. It was a pleasure. This is the first time for me in a podcast.
Michael: But you did great.
Haki: Thank you so much. Bye.
Nikolay: Thank you. Have a good week.
Michael: Take care.
Haki: Thanks.