Judith: Welcome to Berry's In the Interim podcast, where we explore the cutting edge of innovative clinical trial design for the pharmaceutical and medical industries, and so much more. Let's dive in.
Scott: Alright, welcome everybody. Back to In the Interim, I'm your host, Scott Berry and I'm joined with by Nick Berry today, Dr. Nick Berry. And we are going to do our se our second episode. Lessons for drug developers from the world of sports. You can go back to our first time we did this episode 14 of, of in the interim, and we had a really nice episode on regression to the mean. Today we're gonna talk about the 10 run rule and futility, so maybe bear with us a little bit as we get as we get to that, but I do wanna revisit. The regression to the mean and a prediction that Nick made. We, we did this episode last year and May of last year, Aaron Judge was hitting 400. And for those of you who are not baseball fans, uh, I, I, last week had somebody from Iceland send me a, uh, uh, an email about the episode on, uh, the Panther trial. So we have. People globally listening to this, A 400 success rate in baseball is a, is a very, very high bar. Nobody's done it since 1941. And it's, it's one of these mythical, uh, targets that somebody could be a 400 hitter. Well, Aaron Judge was. Batting 400. It's just his hits divided by at bats, uh, in May, and that's early in the season. His, his rate was 400. We were talking about regression to the mean. So Nick predicted that by end of year, he would be hitting three 30. Interestingly, Jim Albert, who we did another episode, I did an episode with Jim Albert about Bayesian statistics and sports statistics. His, his, his career in those, he guessed three 20 and Aaron Judge's final batting average was 3 31. So Nick, you were off, um, in your guess.
Nick Berry: of
Scott: Yeah. Yeah.
Nick Berry: 0.1% off. But
Scott: Yeah.
Nick Berry: yeah, I think that was basically weighted average of what he's done with some random, informed guess of his true batting average to get me to three 30. Yep.
Scott: Yeah. And by the way, it was an incredible season. 3 31 with the home runs he had was a phenomenal season. Uh.
Nick Berry: thing now. I think he's hitting like 2 25 this year, uh, almost a month into the season. So the exact opposite. We can, we can him to the mean in the other way this year.
Scott: Ah, that, that actually would've, uh, made for a good thing. Maybe we should figure out what he is. And, and you have to post another prediction, but let me talk about a different prediction you made. And this was a, a, a prediction we are coming off of. We are, we are recording this episode coming off of the Master's Golf Tournament. So that was last weekend. And, uh, we, we are, we are, we're a big golf family. Uh, we enjoy golf. Even, uh, Nick's sister Lindsay, who doesn't play golf at all, she loves to watch golf. Uh, so we were watching the Masters and halfway through the Masters, 36 holes, two rounds, Rory McElroy had a six shot lead. So he, the second place, and there were multiple golfers that were six shots back, but a six shot lead halfway through the tournament is a quite large lead. I, I believe it was the largest lead ever in the masters at that. And of course, our family text, uh, goes to predictions, goes to statistics, and the question was from, from Nick's sister, Lindsay. What's the chance that Rory McElroy wins the Masters and multiple of us guess. But Nick, you, you made a prediction of the chance that he win the Masters and what was your prediction? I.
Nick Berry: I think I said 70%. Basically my, my math was, I think he probably has the best expected value of the whole field just based on the fact that he won last year. He's playing really well this year, so I said he's probably the best player in the field this week. a six shot lead and I, he that, you know, his distribution was good enough that even though there was a lot of people with the opportunity to catch him 70% chance of him winning.
Scott: And my, my prediction was 60%. And interestingly, uh, Nick's, uh, mom, uh, prediction was 20%. It was quite different. Uh, and
Nick Berry: golf and she knows how variable it is, and that was the reason for her prediction. It was like weird stuff happens. I
Scott: yep.
Nick Berry: you know, it's one guy has to hold onto the lead and so she asked 20% because of all the variability and what could happen.
Scott: So at that point, uh, to, to, to sort of come to this, interestingly, Scotty Scheffler, after 36 holes was 12 shots back. And he's the number one ranked golfer in the world. Rory, I think was the number two ranked golfer in the world, uh, in it. And Scotty Scheffler was 12 shots back, essentially. Very little chance he can win less than 1% chance. He would, he would win the golf tournament. Uh, how many, how much less, but less than 1%. Interestingly, if you were 17 shots back. Meaning after 36 holes, you were five over par. Rory was 12 under par. So if you were five over par or more, you had a 0% chance of winning because you were quote unquote cut from the tournament. The, those players stopped playing and they reduce, and the, and the, the, the rule of the cut is the top 50 players, and I think it started with 91 players. The top 50 players and ties continue on into the weekend, the last two rounds. But they s they, they, they cut and, and sure, I'll say the word futility, that these players no longer have an opportunity to win the golf tournament. If you were 17 shots back, happened to be in that tournament where Scotty Shuffler was 12 back, but he got to keep playing. Now, what happened in the golf tournament, Nick?
Nick Berry: Uh, so round three, Rory struggled, I think shot one over par. Um, so he went to 11 under, and the rest of the field played great. You know, Al it seemed like almost everyone that was. Six or seven shots behind him. Shot five under six under, and he went into Sunday to hide for the lead. he blew, he blew his lead, right? It, it
Scott: Right
Nick Berry: after day three. Um, Scotty Scheffler shot seven under par and moved into contention. Um, I think that, you know, the number one player that was 12 shots back on Sunday. whole field kind of struggled. Nobody shot seven under, nobody had a, a huge round. Rory eked out a win, um, by one stroke. Uh, so he, he did. He did technically retain his lead, even though he blew it and
Scott: Yes.
Nick Berry: at the
Scott: Yeah.
Nick Berry: Um, but the, the most important part is that I was the most right in our family group chat because I said 70%, which was the highest number. And it doesn't matter how he got there, there's no pictures on the scorecard. Uh, I picked the highest probability Rory went on to win. So I, uh, I claimed victory in the family group shop.
Scott: An interesting part of it was Scotty Scheffler ended up finishing second place, one shot behind. And yes, he, he, he missed a birdie putt on 17, that that eventually could have led him to a tie, uh, within it. So he finished one shot back. He had a very, very small chance of winning the golf tournament in a, not in a, in a different setting. We could. Said, you're done playing. You have no chance to win. You're cut. You can't play, uh, in this setting. But he came back and, and, and had a legitimate chance of, of winning the tournament. And, and so I won't, I won't address your 70% being the right answer when, uh, we know more about the golf tournament. But, but you're technically right. If you evaluate the likelihood function of what happened, you had the highest likelihood function in that. But coming to this question about in a sports competition, do we stop the sports competition and what does it mean? And you won't be surprised to, to see that. We'll turn this into thinking about stopping clinical trials and what are the similarity of that. So Nick's brother Cooper, and if you're on video here, you can see Nick is wearing the team shirt for the Pomona Pitzer Sage Hens. Nick's brother Cooper plays on Pomona Pitzers baseball team. And in a recent game we were watching, he was playing up in Oregon, up in Portland, Oregon, and they were playing Lewis and Clark and in game three of their series, they were tied at one each. The, the sage hens scored six runs in the sixth inning, and they went up 11 runs. They were up 11 to zero. And in the bottom of the inning, Lewis and Clark didn't score. So after six innings, and it's a nine inning game, so you're two thirds of the way through the game, the sage hens were up 11 runs now. The game kept going, so the game did not stop at that point. In the seventh inning, they scored one more run to go up, 12 to zero. Lewis and Clark, uh, the Sea Otters, I think are their, their mascot, uh, scored zero and the game was 12 to zero. And by rule, the game ends at that point. It's futile. And there's a, you know, there's a classic 10 run rule and there's a 10 run rule after seven innings that if one team is ahead by 10 runs or more, the game is over. So the game ended in seven innings at that point, and we stopped now. We have futility rules. In the masters, we stop players who are not in the top 50. In youth sports, we do this quite a bit. We have a 10 run rule in baseball. It's a little bit different in sports with a clock, baseball has no clock, it plays nine innings, and that's kind of the clock. So games can go long in that setting. They did, they, you know, they do have travel and they're dealing with that. Uh. In games like American football and in hockey and basketball, they do something called a running clock. So if a team goes up by five goals in a hockey game, they don't stop the clock between whistles. They let it run, they, they shorten the game. So thi this happens, um, Nick used to play select baseball and they did something kind of interesting where after three innings, if you were up by 15, they might stop it four innings. It was 10 or uh, eight or more. And after five innings, it was, sorry, after four it was 10, and after five it was eight. So they had a graduated rule within those games, and the game is over. So why do we do this in sports, Nick? Why do we have these rules that stop the competition?
Nick Berry: Oh, I think the reasons behind them are confusing. There's a lot of, uh, we'll call 'em stakeholders to this, but I think the implication of all the rules is that there's, I'll say no point in continuing to play because. The you know, result is, is determined at that point. And, uh, I think in reality it's probably, everyone understands it's just a sufficiently small probability of something other than the obvious thing happening. Um, we're, we're willing to say, for the benefit of all involved, let's truncate the game at this place. We know where this is going. I think in like youth sports. People got places to be, you know, parents gotta get home. There's another game right after this. Uh, the tournament's running late. We have only have the fields until nine o'clock. Um, a lot of different reasons to go to it for professional sports or, you know, I'll call, uh, what Cooper does something where, you know, the school's paying for this and, and there's more money. I mean, um, have a stake in this. They're, they're wasting resources. Uh, if you just. You're pitching guys late in the game that you don't want to throw, or silly things happen like, oh, we lost, we have to play two more innings. put an outfielder
Scott: an out.
Nick Berry: 'cause I don't wanna waste a pitcher. And, and you know, things start to get wacky in that regard. And so maybe we should just call the game at this point. But I think it all boils down to everyone knows what's gonna happen. What's the point in continuing to play sort of is, is the idea behind all of 'em.
Scott: There's also a concern in youth sports that if one team has such a lead, it becomes almost unsportsmanlike for that team to be trying hard to win. Are they gonna win by. Absurd amounts, for example, uh, potential injuries. There's aspect. We don't have futility rules in sports. Now we, we, we do have some, and I'll come to those, but largely in an American baseball game, if one team is ahead by 25, runs after eight innings or seven innings, they keep going. Uh, uh, in, in those sports, they don't stop them. Now people have paid to go watch that game.
Nick Berry: Yeah.
Scott: they're selling beer, uh, though they don't sell beer after the seventh inning, but, but they're selling beer at an NFL game. At a, at an NBA game, a team could be ahead by 40 points in an NBA game, and they keep going. In those games. So pro sports are a little bit different. They do worry about injuries, but there are no futility rules in pro sports, which is somewhat interesting.
Nick Berry: Well, you mentioned the fans. The fans do have futility rules, and this is the. If you're at a, a baseball game and a team's up 20 runs the stand's empty people to them. I think it's more important to, uh, be in the car before traffic hits than it is to watch your team get smothered by 25 runs. I'm, I'm definitely a stick it out to the end. I paid to be there. I went through the, the effort of getting there. I'm gonna watch the ninth inning of this game, but, uh, but the stadium does empty in those cases, so fans have their own. Utility rule that, or sorry, utility rule that they've created in their mind for when it's over.
Scott: So can we make a mistake with a futility roll? Could we have stopped that? That game that Cooper's team played up in Oregon, they were ahead 12 to zero after seven innings. They could have lost that game if they kept playing. Uh, the rules are a nine inning game, and the sea otters could have scored 13 runs in the ninth inning and won that game. It's possible in those circumstances, just like it's possible that we could have cut. Scotty Scheffler from that golf tournament and said, you don't have a chance to win. You can you no longer get to play. And he could have won that tournament. By the end, he didn't. But in another setting, we have stopped competitions that would've flipped in. The other team would've won.
Nick Berry: Yeah, for sure. I think there's, there's a, a heuristic. This is. Bill James, the famous analytics, uh, the father of analytics. I think people give him credit for that. he has this, um, I, I called it a heuristic. I think it's a good, good word for it college
Scott: College.
Nick Berry: but when he thinks the game is over, um, it's, it's a simple calculation like you take the winning, how much you're winning by minus three. Add a little bit if you have the ball and then I don't even know what you do from there. Something like,
Scott: Something like that.
Nick Berry: weird, a little algebra scheme you do and it says this game is over. This game is not over. um, I bring this up because partially 'cause I wanted to talk about this example, but when I was in college, Texas a and m was playing in March in the the NCA tournament. We just finished March, Matt, March Mattis as well. Uh, and. Text a m was playing northern Iowa in I think the round of 32. they lost, they were futile, futile, according to Bill James' algorithm. Um, we were down 12 points with 42 seconds to go or something like that. and doing the calculation that's, that's impossible to, to, to, to come back from. And I have two good friends that were at the game. They left. They left, you know, it's obvious it's over. Gotta beat traffic. They're in the concourse walking away. And um, um, and my alma mater came back and won, um, Alex Caruso of now a two time NBA championship fame was on that team. And it was, you know, the comeback of a lifetime for me in school. And so. happened, you know, this was futile. This would've stopped for
Scott: Yep.
Nick Berry: according to a, a popular rule, and it switched. Weird things happened. The game reversed index a M1.
Scott: So there, there are some cases where you can't come back, but in all those situations it's possible. Uh, the probability may be very, very small and we'll get to that question of the probability of winning to that. There are other cases that we do have futility rules in, in pro sports, when you're playing a seven game series. And one of the team goes up four to one. They've won four of the first five. They stop playing. They don't play the sixth and seventh games. The, and in that situations, it's impossible for the other team to win. So they stop playing. So they don't say, well, people have bought tickets. We're gonna sell food, we're gonna play game six and seven. They, they do stop playing and they go on. So there are. Some binding, uh, binding's the wrong word, but there are cases where it's impossible to come back and they stop playing. Another example of that is golf, where you, when you do match play, like in the Ryder Cup, you play who wins the most holes on 18 holes. If you're up four with three holes to play, the golfers stop playing. They don't play the last three holes. The match is over.
Nick Berry: You're
Scott: those are
Nick Berry: And
Scott: your, you're mathematically eliminated. Yep,
Nick Berry: it's an obvious way to do futility, right? Like you don't
Scott: yep,
Nick Berry: a, a model or any complex reasoning to understand why that happens or, or to determine if it's a good rule. Right.
Scott: yep. So let's come to questions of how we might suppose. A professionally league came to you and said, we want to institute stopping rules that when the game, you know, reaches a particular point. Bill James had a rule. We, we should stop it. For safety, for sportsmanship. How would you do it?
Nick Berry: Uh, um, carefully I would start with a bunch of data. I think, I think step one is get every single game that's ever been played at that professional level and specifically with data about. Probably just the score over time. I think one thing you can't do in this is put, and we'll, we'll come to this later, but you can't put any preconceived notion about the quality of the teams into this calculation. Right? I think it has to be a hard rule based on some, just like, you know, uh, observable score difference or something like that. So yeah, you start by
Scott: Hey, start by.
Nick Berry: all of these score differences over time, overlay 'em on a plot. And then I would probably choose a reasonable time in the game, maybe three quarters of the way through. Uh, I don't, you don't wanna stop anything, you know, while there's still an immense amount of variability in the game. So I may start two thirds or three quarters of the way through, or some number and, and I draw a cut there on that graph that I was making and say, okay, what point on the Y axis, what score differential can I choose that, um. First, no one has ever come back from, I'd probably start there and say, okay, if you're up 37 points with 10 minutes to play in a basketball game, the game is over. I think is a useful starting place. It's probably not the rule I would end up with, but I would start there and then maybe I say, okay, what about 1%? Um, I say, okay, what, what point on this line, do you have a 1% chance of coming back from? And that's probably too big of a number. Um, in baseball, every team plays 162 games, so multiply that by, you know, what, 15 to get the total number of games played, uh, a year. That might not be the right math, but, you know, 1% of those games is still a lot. You don't want to, you don't want to have that many flip flops of, of things that you stop. So I probably choose a number, like, uh, 0.1% or something like that, or 0.05% of games and draw a line there. do this with a curve as well. Maybe I do two third, three quarters of the way through five six of the way through, and seven eighths of the way through or something like that, and draw that same point at those three lines, and you could stop for futility in any of those points.
Scott: So you're getting at something, you're, you're interested in this, at looking at different points in the, in the competition where, what is the chance the team that's trailing can win the game? And you mentioned when that's below 1% or 0.1%, that the team that's trailing could come back and win, that this is a candidate game for stopping that, that we've reached it. Getting to this point of predictive probabilities. So you're building this model and you talked about getting all of this historical data we have on, on competitions, whatever sport it is that you would build that what is the probability this team can win at this, uh, from, from this state in the game? We have something like that in most of our sports, for example, if, and, and gambling is a huge part of sports, uh, within this. So you can get this our, our favorite baseball team, Nick and I are our fans of the Minnesota Twins. They played a game yesterday. Uh, it was Wednesday, April 15th, and Minnesota was trailing the Red Sox throughout the game. They got behind. They actually were ahead one to nothing, but they got behind four to, uh, sorry, nine to one by the sixth inning. ESPN provides win probabilities, and you can graph this across the game. So they're doing this, so they're providing win probabilities, and it was not long by about the seventh inning in a nine to one game that the probability that the twins were gonna win dropped below 1%. Now interestingly, they scored four runs in the bottom of the ninth and they lost nine to five, but that probability never wavered from 99%. That game could have been a candidate. Maybe it doesn't reaches the threshold. These are really natural things within games to, to look at. And then you balance why are we stopping? What, what, what are the purpose? Uh, to, to understand the risk because you could stop a game that the team would've come back and won and. That's, that's a mistake to some extent. You've made a mistake by stopping it. You could also not stop a game that the trailing team lost. Now, that's a different kind of mistake where maybe the resources used in the remainder of that game were for Naugh. Because the game didn't change in that setting, we might consider that if we're trying to look at a rule for its ability to stop trials that are gonna lose anyway, we, we, we would evaluate that those, those criteria, those errors that we might make with a, with a rule to stop sporting competitions, which of course have very different goals than clinical trials, which of course we're gonna get to. I also have a friend. Yeah, go ahead.
Nick Berry: that, that quantity that you keep talking about, the, well, you've, you've referenced both probability of winning, but also predictive probability. I think it's interesting. The first podcast we did about regression to the mean, I think we kept telling people, at least non statisticians, that that's a hard thing to, to get your mind around, right? You see data and you're like, okay, that's what I'm gonna believe going forward. So we were trying to tell people. You need to regress this towards the population average, even though it feels weird to do. I think the predictive probability is the exact opposite. Everyone that is making decisions about these games intuitively understands what you're talking about. They understand like the variability left in the game, and they know why a four run lead in the fourth inning is different than a four run lead in the eighth inning. And they don't need to describe it as information fractions and variability and things like that to make that point. But I like this topic because it's so intuitive and it's just like the root of decision making in general is this like predictive framework that, that we're working under. Um.
Scott: So, so you brought up this idea, and this is gonna be in sports. It seems like such a natural thing. And by the way, that's the goal of these episodes that you, you take something in sports that seems so natural and understand and then you flip it to clinical trials, which, you know, that's sort of how I think, and it's not uncommon in a clinical trial scenario that I explains something like a sporting competition, but being trailing by five. Early in the game means something very different than trailing by five late in the game. Because you have less time to have a large differential to reverse that deficit that you have, uh, in, in this scenario. It's such a natural thing in sports. Where in clinical trials do we bid build futility rules off of the observed effect? Do you know? How do we do that? The wind probability. In sports incorporates that. So in that game where the Red Sox were playing the twins, the Red Sox were up by five runs after five innings. The win probability for them under that scenario, uh, after the fifth inning is about 90%. When the game goes to the sixth inning and the score doesn't change, it's still five. The, the probability the Red Sox win goes up because there's less time left to flip that. So the same observed effect at different times have quite different predictive probabilities. It's a very natural thing in sports to understand that part in in the wind probability. Okay. So let's flip this to clinical trials, and we've already set this up a little bit. So what does this have to do with clinical trials? Many clinical trials. Are set up much like a sporting competition, especially phase three trials. Earlier. Stage trials can have, uh, uh, goals that are largely learning estimation. Those may be a little bit harder. You can, you should have futility rules in those settings. But let's think about phase three trials because they're the largest, the most expensive, but they have very well-defined rules of quote unquote winning that trial. They're targeted on demonstrating one treatment is better than another treatment. In a sporting complex, uh, contest, it's almost like a player has to play, you know, the best player in the world to show their better. They have to, to to show that they, they can win that game. We have very well-defined rules in sports about who wins the game. Now, in clinical trials, we also have really well-defined rules that, one, we're trying to see that this treatment is statistically significantly greater than another treatment. So again, thinking about this question, like before we talk about how to do this, I asked you the question about why we might stop a sporting competition. Why might we stop a clinical trial before the end for futility?
Nick Berry: Again, I
Scott: Yes.
Nick Berry: a lot of reasons. Um, I, there, there are patient. Ethical, um, of the trial and if it's looking like the treatment is, has no chance of being, being successful in a clinical trial, you know, is it ethical to be randomizing these patients to be experimenting on them? Um, there's, for a sponsor, there's certainly monetary constraints. Some of these drugs are extremely expensive to administer. It's extremely expensive to follow subjects up. Um, often can roll over into some open label extension where a drug that might be, you know, better for these subjects can be administered to them after a trial stops for futility. Um, uh, I think there's, there's a ton of different reasons. Uh, safety and cost are probably two of the most prevalent.
Scott: Yep. So that there, there are strong reason that if you're running a trial and it's very, very unlikely the trial's gonna be successful. There are benefits of stopping that trial. Uh, and the ethical parts of it are, are huge. You're asking a patient to contribute to science, and if you look at the data, they're no longer contributing to science. The answer's largely been. Uh, the, the question's been answered at that point now. You can, uh, any futility rule in that trial that, by the way, there are some strange trials where mathematically the trial cannot be successful. But tho those are very, very rare where it's integer valued outcomes and no number of events can flip the outcomes. Those, those are different trials. Most of these trials, you're now addressing similar type questions, and so we are. As clinical trial designers asked to create futility rules. So you're the NHL is not asking you this or major league baseball, but how do we create futility rules for a clinical trial?
Nick Berry: Yeah. Um, let's see. So I think it's largely the same as what I described for like the NHL rule with probably one major difference is that I wouldn't start by collecting a ton of data. I don't think I'm gonna start with all the clinical trials that have ever been run and looking at their curves. I know the data generating process or at. have assumptions about the data generating process and what I think is likely, so I would probably start by, could think of it as simulating 1 million different paths through this, and maybe I think of this at the beginning as I simulate every patient or, or I look really often I take benchmarks throughout this trial, maybe a hundred benchmarks, and at each of those points I can can. I fit a t test, maybe I, you know, do fit some simple test for now, uh, to say, how much better is the active arm doing? How much worse is the active arm doing? And then I go through the same exact pro. Now I have those spaghetti plots exactly like I had for sports. You know, I had the score differential over time. I have treatment effect over time. Um, I would probably start again. Maybe I don't wanna start until halfway through the trial. I would say, okay, at what point is it impossible? Did none of my 1 million simulations come back to, to the you know, how, where the treatment was so bad that it couldn't get back to being successful? And again, like I said with the, the other example, that's not necessarily, it's not a good futility rule, right? Something that never allows a reversal
Scott: Yeah.
Nick Berry: a little too conservative for my liking. But that probability of reversing is really important. So I again, wanna limit it to maybe something like 1%, or in sports I use 0.1% 'cause we're doing this over and over and over and over and over and I didn't want a bunch of these. But, um, in clinical trials, I think a predictive probability of 1% is still fairly conservative for futility role. But something in the one to 5% range is probably where I would start. Trying to cut that probability of reversing after thing. And again, I'm, I'm looking at trials that I simulated from start to finish. So in reality, I know when I stop a one of those simulated trials for fertility, what would've happened. And I think that is a really important aspect of the simulations that I get this counterfactual look at all of the simulations and, and can do that. And so again, I'm drawing a spaghetti plot. I'm placing benchmarks that may be, uh. three quarters away through the trial and, and myself utility rules at those points. So the same exact process with the data generating me mechanism being different.
Scott: So there's, there's this same quantity that was this win probability that we, where you can go to espn.com and look at. We build that in clinical trials, and you can build that through statistical modeling on what is the outcome? Is it a, is an event outcome? Is it a change from baseline outcome? Is it a responder outcome? You, you can take that outcome and build. A mechanism for calculating what's the probability that the treatment is gonna demonstrate benefit by the end of the trial? What is its win probability? That's something in clinical trials called a predictive probability. You, you may have heard of a conditional probability. Conditional probability is similar. It's a little bit different in that it a conditional probability. You assume you know the truth about the team or or what the treatment is, and then you calculate that. A predictive probability estimates it from the data at that point with its uncertainty. In calculating the probability of winning the trial going forward. So there are different mechanisms. Bayesian tends to be predictive probability, where conditional power is a pretty simple, uh, taking the observed rate that you see right now, usually underrepresents variability. So I don't love the number that comes out for conditional probability, which is why we use Bayesian predictive probabilities. And then we look at that for, its. Potential stopping the trial. When that probability gets low, you can look at stopping the clinical trial
Nick Berry: To, to keep our link to sports here, the, you're talking about conditional power or conditional probability of success versus predictive power. Predictive probability of success. calculation
Scott: calculation.
Nick Berry: is different than the calculation done in a clinical trial because in sports, you know, we know a lot about. The two teams going in and we that information in a way that's not common in phase three clinical trial. As Lisa, you were saying, so if I was doing a predictive probability in sports and a team's winning, uh, nine to one, like the twins game you were describing, um, I am going to shrink my. Posterior probability of, you know, the quality of those teams massively
Scott: Massive
Nick Berry: being more of a 50 50 game going forward. Something that conditional power
Scott: power.
Nick Berry: naturally.
Scott: Naturally.
Nick Berry: I'm gonna
Scott: I'm
Nick Berry: probability of the twins winning, given that the teams are equal, is something you could do with a conditional power and get that number out in a predictive. Probability sense, you would
Scott: center.
Nick Berry: probability that the teams are much, are
Scott: Much our predict.
Nick Berry: because they're professional sports teams, they are pretty close together. And even though you observe nine to one doesn't really change what you think about the team as a whole. It's just that the game is random, so your predictive probability in that sense, it's actually probably pretty close to a conditional probability of success at that same number. And so the, the huge amount of prior information, I think kind of changes the decision making of that predictive probability.
Scott: That, but that can be incorporated in clinical trials where you might even want to build a stopping rule that says, we wanna stop when an optimist.
Nick Berry: Yeah.
Scott: the drug thinks the probability of winning is below 1% or 5% kind of thing, and you use a Bayesian prior, that gives a reasonable probability, an optimist probability, uh, um, estimate of the drug's effect, and even when. Optimist thinks the trial is unlikely to be successful, you stop. Is is by the way, it, it alludes to this in the, the Bayesian, the Bayesian draft guidance that you can use this design prior, uh, sort of thing. You can do this for the futility. So it's something that can be incorporated in clinical trials for sure.
Nick Berry: Yep. That makes total sense.
Scott: Now, some of the.
Nick Berry: idea.
Scott: Uh, yeah, I, Jacob Jay Cade's idea actually is a really nice idea that you take multiple, uh, uh, clinicians with varying views across the spectrum. And when all of those clinicians are convinced of it, then you stop. So you might need to go longer to demonstrate that you think the drug is effective to a pessimist
Nick Berry: Yeah.
Scott: likewise to stop when, when you think it's not effective as well. It, it's a really neat idea actually. Um. Now this the, this characteristic. We spend a great deal of time simulating different rules and we calculate those error rates that we talked about before. So you can make a mistake with a futility rule. You could have a futility rule that stops a trial that would've gone on and flipped and reversed, and you say There's very little chance for the treatment to win. And we calculate that's 1%. For example, we, we've done trials where the predictive probability of success of that trial is 2% and it stops for futility has a 5% futility rule. The trial stops by, by, by interpretation That. There's a 2% chance that trial could have come back and been successful under that scenario. It's just deemed that. Taking into account the pluses and minuses of this, that it's a good thing to stop that trial. Now that decision is made ahead of time, uh, in those circumstance, and we simulate multiple rules. We look at error rates. We also look at how, you know, what happens to power when you have a futility rule for a treatment, you. You may decrease its chance of success because some of those trials, those spaghetti plots that Nick talked about, they hit the futility rule and they would've reversed and gone on to win. You reduce power by that if you have a very, very aggressive futility rule. An example of this would be halfway through the trial. If the predictive probability of the treatment winning is less than 50%, we're gonna stop the trial. That would be a strikingly aggressive futility rule. Essentially, it means that the treatment is observing something very close to what it needs to win by the end, which gives it kind of 50 50. If it stays there, it wins. If not, it loses and you stop the trial there, you're gonna reduce power by very large amounts. Uh, Nick and I are looking at example when that. That probability can drop power by 25% in your, your, your effect size because you're being so aggressive at stopping it and you don't give the treatment that, that chance to, to, to go on and be successful. I. A 20% rule, by the way, and I'm gonna say 20% because there's an interesting story. You know, futility story to this in, in the example we're looking at can have somewhere a five to 10% reduction in power, 20%. If you think about a sports competition where the team only has a 20% chance of winning. That happens a lot. Uh, those are exciting games by the way, where a team scores two touchdowns very close to the end to win. Uh, golfer comes back from five shots back on the last nine holes. I that's not even 20% coming back by three shots is sort of 20%. That's an, that's a common occurrence. Well, that rule is used in futility. For futility in trials. And there's a famous example when that rule was used, and it's a famous example where people think futility might not be a good thing in clinical trials. And we'll kind of get to that. It's the Biogen example of Aducanumab It was an Alzheimer's treatment and this, this was, you know, 5, 6, 7 years ago, uh, Alzheimer's treatment, uh. A disease modifying therapy. They're running two phase 3 trials and they did a futility analysis where they looked at both trials, a predefined futility analysis, and they looked at both trials and they stopped both trials for futility. Interestingly, they stopped those trials, but they got. Follow up data on one of the trials turned out to be statistically significant in Alzheimer's. That's a huge deal. The other trial was not, and there was a lot of discussion about this was a bad futility rule, the these types of things. Their rule for futility was that if either of the two trials had less than a 20% chance of success. They would stop both. And if you think about that in the sports comp, uh, context that's a really, really aggressive futility rule. Now, it was a bit more complicated because one of the trials, the conditional probability of the one that won was 60% when they stopped. So it was a controversial application of futility rules in this scenario. I mean, in some extent it was right. The other trial was not successful. But in hindsight, I think Biogen would've done it differently and they were not necessarily pleased with the futility rule. In, in that scenario. Now, I did a debate with Paul Eisen from, uh, USC on whether we should be doing Al Futility rules in Alzheimer's trials. Now you can go get that and you can find that debate and I did win the debate. Uh, 80% to 20% people agreed that we should be doing futility rules in Alzheimer's trials. Uh, I feel like. If I would've lost that, I, I feel like it's such a yes, we should absolutely be doing that. We should be doing futility rules in every phase three trial that, uh, if I'd have lost that, that would've been like Rory losing, uh, leading by six after 36 holes, uh, sort of scenario.
Nick Berry: The, the Aducanumab example is. Interesting because earlier while we were talking, I was thinking about how the value you choose for your fu utility rule almost creates this sort of implied utility on what you're valuing in your clinical trial. Um, you know, if you have an aggressive FU utility rule, you're probably saying it's really expensive to continue. I only want to spend this extra money if it's likely that we can win. So the, the implied utility of that futility rule is something like. We need two successful phase three trials or bust, is sort of the implication of that. And that was probably what was going through their mind while they're constructing the rule. Like, we need, in order to get this approved, we need two phase three trials to meet this threshold and the FDA will approve us. And you know, clearly that's not what happened at the end of the day, but uh, you can see how they got there a little bit. And I think the utility that comes out of this is out of your futility rule is interesting. Um, and. You know, you say a lot by not actually saying anything on purpose.
Scott: Yeah, no. We spend a great deal of time building these predictive probabilities in that scenario where you have two phase three trials running at exactly the same time. The idea that you do conditional power only in that trial and you ignore the data from the other trial.
Nick Berry: Yeah.
Scott: The fact that the other trial had a 60% chance of winning meant that it had a good effect size. If you would've done regression to the mean and shrunk over the two trials, you probably would've got a much higher probability for the second trial of being successful, and then maybe that would've eventually been successful had they run it out. To the end. So a huge part of what we do as statistical consultants is build good predictive probabilities so that we're making good decisions in almost every clinical trial, like Alzheimer's, like stroke, uh, uh, it, uh, oncology. You have information on patients that start of the primary endpoint. They're not all as simple as success and failure and you know everything about everything in the trial. You have incomplete information on this. So we're building predictive probabilities that are using maybe dose response modeling. They're using longitudinal modeling of early clinical outcomes to later clinical items. Based on their predictability, we spent a ton of time getting those predictive probabilities to be really good so that they make really good decisions in clinical trials. And I suspect that was not optimally done in the Biogen example. Okay. Um, I, I do wanna make reference to a nice paper by our colleagues, Roger Lewis and Barbara Berger In jama, there's a, a futility in clinical trials. There's a JAMA series for, uh, methodology in clinical trials, and they write about futility. You can read more about those. But unfortunately Nick, I think we've hit the futility for, for this episode.
Nick Berry: Yep.
Scott: Uh, uh, uh, uh, and, and that's more time and resources based here, uh, that than the fact that we're losing.
Nick Berry: Yeah, right.
Scott: Yes. We, we are not losing. Yes, yes, yes. Uh, so we appreciate you all joining Nick and me in this deeper dive into the intersection of sports statistics and the science of clinical trials. And until the next time, we'll be here in the interim.