It’s New Music Friday Monday: Apple Music’s Best of the Week playlist showcases three different Latin & US artist collaborations...chartmetric.com @chartmetric #musicindustry #business #data #nerdout #analysis
- It’s New Music Friday Monday: Apple Music’s Best of the Week playlist showcases three different Latin & US artist collaborations
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- This is your Data Dump for Monday April 22nd 2019.
- New Music Friday Monday
- Welcome back to your work week.
- On Friday April 19th, Apple Music updated its flagship Global Release Day playlist, Best of the Week, with 73 songs totalling just over 4 hours playtime for the US storefront.
- Leading off the list is the lead single off the upcoming Game of Thrones soundtrack, “Power Is Power”, by SZA, The Weeknd and Travis Scott.
- The HBO show’s album is set to release on this Friday April 26th, so you’ll be sure to hear more about them soon.
- In the #2 position is none other than Ms. Beychella herself, Beyoncé’s cover of “Before I Let Go” by Maze and Frankie Beverly.
- The track’s release on last Wednesday coincided with the Netflix release of “Homecoming”, the documentary revolving around Queen B’s epic 2018 Coachella performance.
- Latin & US artist collaborations
- In the #3, 4 and 5 positions of Apple’s Best of the Week playlist, we have several star-studded Spanish/English collaborations.
- Kicking it off is America’s Madonna and Colombia’s Maluma on “Medellín”, a low-key reggaetón track that is leading off Madonna’s Madame X album that’s due in June.
- “Medellín” is on 20 editorial Apple playlists including the #1 spot on Today’s Hits in Portugal, Costa Rica, Bolivia and Panama.
- The track showcases Apple Music’s unique ability to pre-release albums, as when you navigate to the track’s album on the platform, you can see the entire album’s tracks and artists with an album description featuring album art, while on Spotify, it’s simply released as a standalone single.
- The #4 position on Best of the Week is a remix of the wildly successful “Con Calma feat. Snow” by Puerto Rico’s Daddy Yankee.
- American pop star Katy Perry has stepped in on a Spanish/English remix which Forbes compares to another attempt at a Justin Bieber-powered “Despacito” remix.
- The data is showing only lukewarm support however, featuring on only 14 Apple Music editorial playlists and 16 Spotify editorial lists. While these include Spotify’s Today’s Top Hits and New Music Friday playlists, the track is only in the #24 and #11 positions respectively.
- The track is getting slightly warmer coverage in Apple Music, featuring in the #3 position on Today’s Hits in 16 countries and Future Hits in 18 storefronts, but we’ll just have to see how the track performs in the days to come.
- Lastly in the #5 position of Apple’s Best of the Week list, is the “Calma - Alicia Remix” by Puerto Rican artists Pedro Capó and Farruko with American star Alicia Keys.
- The slow Latin grooves in the remix are the same as the original track by Capó, much like the Daddy Yankee and Katy Perry remix in which the production itself does not change besides the new English vocal.
- “Calma” is also featured on Today’s Hits in 16 country storefronts in the #2 position and two top 5 spots on the US and Dominican Republic Best of the Week lists.
- Most interestingly, none of these three Latin/US artist collaborations were picked up in any official Amazon Music playlists, but that’s something we’ll have to keep monitoring, as the trend of multi-lingual collaborations between Latin and American recording artists show no signs of slowing.
What is Your Music Data Dump from Chartmetric?
Fan followers, playlist ranks, monthly listeners...welcome to the world of music business data!
Join Chartmetric, one of the music industry's leading music analytics tools, for your morning shot of the latest news on music charts, artists on the move and influential playlists.
As of Nov 2019, releasing 2-3 times a month for a longer format.
Full show notes: https://podcast.chartmetric.com
#entertainmentindustry #musicbusiness #musicindustry #data