It's Technique Tuesday and you’re Carly Rae Jepsen booking a fall tour...how do you select your opening acts using data?...chartmetric.com @chartmetric #musicindustry #business #data #nerdout #analysis
- It’s Technique Tuesday and you’re Carly Rae Jepsen booking a fall tour...how do you select your opening acts using data?
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- This is your Data Dump for Tuesday May 14th 2019.
- Technique Tuesday: Advanced Artist Filtering & Opening Act Planning
- You’re Carly Rae Jepsen, and you just had a super cool Rolling Stone music feature. Next up? Scheduling a tour, of course.
- You’re looking for a few emerging acts to reach out to that have a similar but different sound, a partially-common audience to boost ticket sales and availability to tour in Canada later this year.
- But how can we use data to do this? Well first things first, let’s take stock of how you’re doing.
- I’ve got 3.3M Spotify followers. If I look at my Neighboring Artists tool, I can see that Troye Sivan has about the same amount of followers...but 3x as many monthly listeners at 22M...he’s red hot! I can’t be out-shown.
- Carrie Underwood has about as many followers as me and less monthly listeners at 4.5M...but the genre-match probably isn’t so great since she’s country and I’m more disco-pop.
- Hmm, let me click out to 10 neighboring artists instead of 5….click, click...ooo! Fun.! I love fun. What have they been up to lately? I’ll give them a call.
- So what else can I do? How about the Advanced Filters in the Artist List tool? Sweet.
- So I know I’ve got about 8.5M Spotify monthly listeners and a 75 out of 100 on the Spotify Popularity Index. Pretty nice. Let’s search some artists slightly below those stats...let’s try 4 to 6M monthly listeners. Type type type click.
- 333 artists returned, awesome! Who’ve we got….Desiigner at 6M listeners? Somehow, I think that could totally be cool, but who else we got?
- Nina Nesbitt! Love her! Her Popularity Index is at 72, right around me! Got to call her. Ooo, Sigrid at 5.6M listeners! Love that Norwegian pop, calling her...Tyler, the Creator?! He’s at an 81 Popularity Index and 5.5M listeners...it’s a long shot, but what the heck, let’s try.
- How else can we get more people to call….well, I want to have a big first tour date in Vancouver because that’s where my formative years were, so let’s check the Cities Page for there. Click, click, click.
- Vancouver...alright, what have you been listening to lately?
- Looks like in the past 30 days, according to recent Shazam genre tags, it’s mostly pop with 28! Nice. Ooo, and in 3rd place is Dance with 13 tags. Done, Vancouver, I’m coming back home soon.
- Alright, who are some hometown heroes I can call?
- Nickelback? Ehh. Felix Cartal, who’s that? 2.7M monthly listeners, impressive. Let’s click through to his profile….oooo, disco vibes? Love it. On the list.
- Let’s see who else….oh Teagan and Sara?! Of course! Our fans totally crossover, how’d I not think of them. Done.
- Well let’s see...that’s six awesome, relevant artists to call up that we got in a few minutes’ work. Not bad, Chartmetric, not bad!
What is Your Music Data Dump from Chartmetric?
Fan followers, playlist ranks, monthly listeners...welcome to the world of music business data!
Join Chartmetric, one of the music industry's leading music analytics tools, for your morning shot of the latest news on music charts, artists on the move and influential playlists.
As of Nov 2019, releasing 2-3 times a month for a longer format.
Full show notes: https://podcast.chartmetric.com
#entertainmentindustry #musicbusiness #musicindustry #data