It's one of the world's most important financial institutions, but also one of the most controversial. Discover what the World Bank actually is, how it works, what happens when it gets things right, and what happens when things go badly wrong.
Full transcript, key vocabulary, and bonus episodes available on www.leonardoenglish.com
Discover what the World Bank actually is, how it works, what happens when it gets things right, and what happens when things go badly wrong.
In today's episode we cover:
- The creation of the World Bank
- The difference between the World Bank and the IMF
- The ambitious aims of the World Bank
- The first World Bank loan, to France
- Structural Adjustment (or "you do what we say")
- The Cochabamba Water War in Bolivia
- Why the World Bank imposes conditions
- What happens to all this debt?
Full transcript and key vocabulary available on the website www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/world-bank
Join the conversation:
- Join the Learn English with Podcasts community: www.facebook.com/groups/learnenglishwithpodcasts
What is English Learning for Curious Minds?
Are you looking for a more interesting way to to learn English?
English Learning for Curious Minds is where you can learn English from native speakers while learning fascinating things about the world.
Every episode comes with a transcript & key vocabulary and is spoken at a speed you can understand.
Join listeners from 155 countries and discover the most interesting way to improve your English while expanding your mind.
Find the bonus episodes, transcripts, key vocabulary, and learning materials at www.leonardoenglish.com