Anne Beiler is the creator and founder behind the world renowned franchise, Auntie Anne’s pretzels. Most wouldn’t know this about her, but she started this incredible company with no business plan, no capital, and no education. Growing up in an Amish community, she only received up to an eighth grade education and got married when she was 19 years old. Years of baking cakes and breads for her large family taught her how to make some of the world’s tastiest pretzels, and what started out as a small business and dream grew to be a global sensation.
In part 2 of this interview series, Anne shares her professional experience learning and growing from a founder and creator to a manager and business woman. She shares her keys to success and her biggest takeaways from managing a global enterprise of tasty pretzels.
- Overcoming personal challenges helped me to know I could overcome other obstacles I’d face.
- I didn’t know anything about training, writing a mission or purpose statement, or franchising. It was going back to my roots -- discipline and hard work.
- A list is good no matter your age.
- If we can’t manage the small things right now, we’ll never be able to manage the bigger opportunities coming.
- The appetite for learning is a part of your personal growth, your professional growth, your emotional growth, and your spiritual growth. You have to grow in all those areas to become truly successful.
- I define success as are you doing what you love to do?
- At the end of the day, can you put your head on the pillow and can you say I did my very best?
- Training isn’t barking out orders. Training is role modeling. Training is talking to your people to help them understand who you are.
- Create relationships with people and train them to be excellent in what they have -- loving, respecting, and honoring them.
- It’s about role modeling what is important to you, and you do that with grace and kindness. People will come flocking to you. They’ll carry out your purpose. They’ll do it without you being the boss.
- The very seeds of your greatest victory are being planted right now.
What is Taking the Leap?
The Taking the Leap Podcast is where you can learn how to launch your full-time career in this part-time gig economy. No matter what career you’re in, you have the potential to be the best version of you and overcome whatever obstacles stand in your way. And now here’s your host, the CEO of Bonvera, Bob Dickie.