In this episode, Adam talks to Derrick Reimer about building his new app Level as an SPA using Elm, Phoenix, and GraphQL.
- Why Derrick chose to build Level as an SPA
- Choosing Elm over React or Vue
- How Elm is sort of like a language and framework combined
- Moving to Phoenix from Rails
- Why getting abstractions right feels easier in a functional language
- How "contexts" help you organize your Phoenix code
- The benefits of GraphQL over REST
- What it looks like to implement GraphQL on the server
- Avoiding n+1 queries with GraphQL
- Rollbar, sign up at https://rollbar.com/fullstackradio to try their Bootstrap Plan free for 90 days
- Cloudinary, sign up and get 300,000 images/videos, 10GB of storage and 20GB of monthly bandwidth for free
- Level live-coding screencasts on YouTube
- Elm, the functional programming language Derrick is using on the frontend
- An Introduction to Elm, the official tutorial
- The Elm Architecture
- Elixir, the functional programming language Derrick is using on the backend
- Phoenix, the Elixir framework
- Contexts in Phoenix
- Absinthe, GraphQL implementation for Elixir
What is Full Stack Radio?
A podcast for developers interested in building great software products. Every episode, Adam Wathan is joined by a guest to talk about everything from product design and user experience to unit testing and system administration.