Gary Hill: I'm leaving. I told you never to barge in here. And I'm taking your partner with me.
Suzanne: What?
Gary Hill: You are crazy. Come along, Alex. I'm taking command. You're inadequate, Major. In every area. Captain, for the last time. Doesn't it disgust you to be used by him? To be touched by an old man? Can't you feel the decay?
Suzanne: Keep them till the end Where the woman or man It makes you feel so good
Gary Hill: So good! Hello folks, welcome to the Sunbeef Podcast. I am one of your hosts, Gary Hill, and with me tonight is Suzanne. How are ya?
Suzanne: Tired of winter. How are you doing?
Gary Hill: We had some elements this morning, didn't we?
Suzanne: It was just, we got, like, sleet, but it was too cold. It wasn't cold enough for it to, and that's my dog, to freeze, but it was just sloppy. It was sloppy.
Gary Hill: In case you guys aren't in the States, we got snow over 39 of our Ds in the United States today. And that's kind of like astronomical.
Suzanne: Yeah.
Gary Hill: Climate change is real, people.
Suzanne: Yeah, I keep wondering where's that global warming they keep talking about because I sure as hell have not had any.
Gary Hill: It's coming. Spring is coming, so they say. The little rat that lives in, what is it, Puxatani Phil, that's his name?
Suzanne: Yep.
Gary Hill: Didn't see his shadow, so supposedly, if you believe in that sort of thing, yeah, less winter.
Suzanne: I don't believe it.
Gary Hill: Oh. But yeah, we'll start the show the same way we start shows, and I'll ask Suzanne, what's you been watching lately?
Suzanne: I've been pretty boring lately. I have not watched very much. I pretty much have enough time to catch up on dumb TV. Oh, new season of Forged in Fire, which is pretty excellent.
Gary Hill: Yes, indeed. Always is.
Suzanne: And, oh, geez, what else? I got sucked into this absolutely atrocious show on ABC called A Million Little Things. I like This Is Us. I haven't watched much of it this season. But I'm like, okay, how much are they going to actually try to steal from that? And, oh, they took it one step beyond. Oh, my God, there's not a normal fucking person there.
Gary Hill: Yeah.
Suzanne: We were talking, oh, my God, the group of friends, this dude kills himself. And his wife is banging one of his friends. His one friend had male breast cancer who fell in love with someone who has breast cancer, said there's the whole cancer thing going on. And now the dude who killed himself, his wife is pregnant with his friend's kid. Everyone thinks it's his kid. And, oh, my God, we've got, it's got everything. And it just, it doesn't let up. We've had, like, sexual abuse. There's someone in the group of friends. Her uncle molested her. And she's always had this big rip with her mom. And one dude's on antidepressants. And I'm not kidding. And it keeps going.
Gary Hill: it's like how much meant it almost could you roll into one television show I just don't know let's roll it in
Suzanne: everything oh god and yeah the dude who killed himself and his wife who's pregnant with other dudes kid they have a gay son
Gary Hill: of course why not you know is he dead like in Heather's you know I love a dead gay son that's not right oh my god the misogyny of that movie. Let's save that for another time.
Suzanne: I've really not been watching a lot.
Gary Hill: Yeah, I can't say I have either. I've been watching bits and pieces of stuff here and there. I re-watched Creed 2 yesterday. That's still amazing. That should be coming soon to your airwaves, I guess. I re-watched Halloween 3 because I splurged on that Steelbook Blu-ray. I splurged on like four Steelbooks that week. And I regret nothing because these are like the new 4K Masters that Scream Factory fucked the people didn't buy and shit again. But I didn't own them to begin with, so I didn't feel too bad about that.
Suzanne: So, yeah, I got some decent Kino Lorber swag.
Gary Hill: Nice. What did you get from that sale? See what I forgot. You didn't tell me.
Suzanne: Oh, God, I got The Long Riders.
Gary Hill: Nice.
Suzanne: Hidden Agenda. Really great movie. EPG, zero population growth, because you know me and how much I love Oliver Reed.
Gary Hill: Yep.
Suzanne: The reincarnation of Peter Proud. Once again, another Oliver Reed joint.
Gary Hill: Is he shirtless in any of these movies? That's all I want to know. Women go nuts for a shirtless Ollie Reed, let me tell you.
Suzanne: I finally got an English track for Black Sabbath. I picked that one up.
Gary Hill: Nice.
Suzanne: Yeah, I swear I'm missing. Oh, I got The Martian Chronicles and Judgment at Nuremberg.
Gary Hill: Great. You really did buy some stuff from that sale, didn't you?
Suzanne: Yeah, I got it. Seven?
Gary Hill: I was looking at that Long Riders Blu-ray, too. I really wanted that, and I didn't have the Dunkins for it at the time.
Suzanne: Oh, why didn't you tell me? I would have picked it up for you.
Gary Hill: That's okay. One of those flash sales. I don't know. It'll be honest. Kino, that's one of the great things about Kino is they're just like Barnes & Noble with the Criterion sales. They do it like six times a year or something. They have a major sale.
Suzanne: And honestly, even though I bought a lot of stuff on the Criterion sales, you're not saving that much money on the Criterion sales. I don't care what they tell you. You're not.
Gary Hill: Kino's got stuff for like eight bucks. So that's a bargain all day long.
Suzanne: They have like $32 regular price Blu-rays for $12.99 and $9.99.
Gary Hill: That's a good deal. Oh, my gosh.
Suzanne: The Long Riders was the $12.99 disc I bought. I think that one's like a $32.99 disc.
Gary Hill: It's like an uber special edition on that mother. I'm looking forward to diving into that when I get it.
Suzanne: Oh, yeah. Got to find some time to watch all of the movies. I guess I've been stockpiling for a while, and I've had no time whatsoever to watch anything.
Gary Hill: What else? I'm so glad I did it. I started some of the DC Universe app-only shows. I watched the first two episodes of Titans, which is, you know, like Teen Titans, but they're all grown up now. And, you know, that's really dark and really, really, really great. And I'm really glad they're making this stuff oriented towards adults and not so much the teeny bopper crowd that they tend to dive into sometimes. And the one that I watched today is the one that just premiered. Doom Patrol is excellent. And it's funny and tragic. And Brendan Fraser shows up. You ain't seen him in forever. And he tragically is turned into a robot man. But he shows so much emotion in the show. And it's kind of great. Timothy Dalton's on there. Ellen Tudyk is on there.
Suzanne: What?
Gary Hill: Yeah, it's really good, Sue. I gotta say, I really enjoyed it. And they're doing it right. They're only releasing an episode a week. So it's not like you could splurge on it right away. And I like that. And I really love this show. I don't want to give too much away. it's really funny and delightful and i hope you guys check it out this uh this dc universe content is really not disappointing so far so kudos to dc for making a service and making folks pay for it and i may be one of those believers real soon because i won't say where i watched it from but it wasn't from dc universe but it's it's a it's a recommend they have my endorsement uh what else I watched A Star is Born, but I don't want the new one with B. Coops and Gaga in it. I don't want to bring up too much about it because I want to do it on the show and get a woman's perspective on what I experienced in this movie. So we'll probably pair that with Crazy Heart because they're almost the same. not almost the same movie, but the same idea of a movie about somebody who's dealing with addiction and love and, you know, regret or whatnot. And the only real bad thing I'll say about it is Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga is a great singer, but she's kind of a non-actress. It really shows in this movie where she's supposed to be the lead of this movie. And there's parts where you're just like, I could do without this. But there's other parts where it shows a lot of emotion. so it's really a 40-60 thing in that movie where 40% of the time she's really good but 60% of the time she's not so good. But I'll leave that there and I'll say watch all these things for yourself because there's a lot that I haven't gotten to yet. We'll get to our next segment. I have beefage for this one because I got some stuff to talk about in this segment called Beef Bitches and Mashed Potatoes. Okay, who gets the burly beef? I ordered the barbecue beef. I think that's mine, but I didn't order fries.
Suzanne: Mine's the Jilly Deluxe.
Gary Hill: Okay, who gets the burly beef? I heard that. Sue, first up, What's bugging you, Sue?
Suzanne: Honestly, it's this fucking weather.
Gary Hill: Yeah.
Suzanne: And the people that can't drive in it.
Gary Hill: Mm-hmm.
Suzanne: Oh, my God. Okay, if you don't know how to drive on snow and ice, please stay home. Please don't whip around a corner and then freak out because you just wiped out. Don't slam your brakes on because you're going to fishtail and go sideways and come within an inch of hitting me.
Gary Hill: Yeah.
Suzanne: Just, you know, basically don't drive like an asshole. I'm just, and I'm tired of the cold. I'm tired of this weather. I am tired of seeing nothing but white. I need some green and I need sun.
Gary Hill: I see a lot of patches of my lawn today, which means it's melting, babe.
Suzanne: Oh, I know it's melting, but not fast enough.
Gary Hill: Even the stuff that came down today. Oh, my gosh. Anything else besides the coldness?
Suzanne: I'm just so damn tired of it. I can't stand if we get any more snow. The screaming will be legendary.
Gary Hill: Yeah. But my beef isn't the weather. My beef is assholes who think they're entitled and got caught for it. In case you've been living under a rock, you don't follow any entertainment news at all, this actor who I give two fucks about from Empire, this Jesse Smollett character, supposedly, this is a big supposedly, because they're saying that this is all set up, got attacked by two people in Make America Great Again hats, was put a noose and put a rope around his neck, and poured bleach on his face, calling him faggot and all kinds of bad stuff. I don't endorse any of this. But what I don't endorse more is, if it's true what they're saying, which they're saying that he hired two extras that worked on the set. They were known to work for him. And it worked for Empire. That he hired these two Nigerian fellows who have nothing but aspirations to be in show business to do this to him and perpetrate all this and make this... How do you falsify a hate crime? And the way they're talking, and this is not proven yet, so don't step on my fucking face here, people, that he set all this up, I'm guessing, for publicity to say, because I hear that he's, they're writing him out of the show and his character was going to go away. But now from what I hear from all this new controversy, controversy, controversy, controversy, controversy is that, like fucking Sean Connery there for a second, is that they're cutting scenes that he's in out of the show now. So they must really think that he's guilty and that he's really full of shit because all this evidence has popped up too. And I just can't endorse assholes like this who think, just because they don't like, you know, the deal they're in, or they don't like the current climate of the situation, let's go make some shit up and try to put a spin on it, because you don't like number 45, as he called him. I don't like him either, people. But I'm not going to go perpetrate a hate crime against myself and say, this is how it happened. It's so devastating. I'm going to go on television, tell everybody all about it, and you find out you're just a fucking asshole. who's making shit up. And I can't get behind this. What do you think, Sue?
Suzanne: It keeps popping up on my newsfeed, but honestly, I don't know who he is, so I haven't read anything.
Gary Hill: If it wasn't so outrageous, I wouldn't be reading about it either, Suzanne, but it's just outrageous. It's crazy.
Suzanne: I am disgusted by his behavior. If you really want... How about some good publicity? How about doing some public service? Isn't that good publicity? No, you just want to make yourself look like a martyr. And that's dumb. And especially in the time we're in right now, and it's not a good time. This is not the way to go about trying to get your point across. Or try to make a spectacle of yourself because your ass is getting written off the show. You know what? Go find another part. Don't be a dick.
Gary Hill: People have to work hard to get up to where he's at. From what I hear, the lead on the show, Terrence Howard, is not the best guy to work with either. I hear he's been trying to fire him for years as it is because he's just so difficult to work with. If you go out there and you're a young actor and you work hard, odds are it may take like a decade to get there. Something's going to come up and make you big. I mean, there was a long time where, and I still hear that they hang out quite a bit together because of this, that Roger Corman would be the only person that would hire Jack Nicholson for like a decade. And people would consider those low-grade films. But look where he is now. He's a fucking legend, you know, so.
Suzanne: Yeah.
Gary Hill: Because he paid his dues. He didn't just fucking make some shit up like this guy. It just angers me. It angers me so much, you know.
Suzanne: I just think it's the most horrible possible way to go about trying to make, get some publicity. Like I said, do a public service, get the right kind of publicity. Don't be an asshole.
Gary Hill: I mean, these are hateful things that still actually happen to actual people. I mean, he's a real person, obviously, but hate crimes do happen. And it's an ugly part of society, ugly part of our world, all over the world. but to fake that is like a detriment to your people and I think that's that makes you real ugly it makes you worse than the supposed Nazis and you know it's ugly it's just ugly I don't care for it and politics something else I don't care for is something that came out in the news today about Jason Reitman Ivan Reitman's son doing the Ghostbusters what he calls the real Ghostbusters sequel or something really stupid said it just sounded really insulting to the fans basically writing off that last ghostbusters film and saying that this one's going to be closer to the i forget the closer to the heart or something he says this one and my thoughts on that is they tried after ghostbusters 2 to make another ghost busters sequel happen and nobody fucking wanted to do it they tried for like a decade at least a decade to get that happening. Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody wanted to do it. The best they can do in that new one is to have Dan Aykroyd show up in a really shitty cameo and have Ernie Hudson show up in a better cameo and it's just and to call that movie stupid, which it really is, but I have the gumption to say if you cut Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy out of that film, it's a lot better. It's a much better movie than anybody gives it credit for. But to discount, because maybe you got some real diehard Ghostbusters fans out there that happened to like parts of the film, but didn't like much of the film. Don't stand there and insult the fans by saying, you know what, this is a shit film. Now let me tell you what we're going to do next. We're going to put a bunch of old men in proton packs and put them on the screen. And they'll be funny, but you'll probably be bored through most of it. I'm just throwing it out there. People, you put, you put some proton packs on some old men. It's going to be really bad. Especially a doughy, Dan Aykroyd, and an old recluse like Bill Murray. The only one's in shape is Ernie Hudson. He's a mountain of a man. And he could probably still hack him. But that's the character they've minimalized most in the whole series, people. They give nothing to do in that first movie. But you know what? I'm fine. I'm not over it. I'm going to see it like everybody else is going to see it. I just don't appreciate this guy who... Hey, he made Juno, people. say, you know what, we're just going to stand here and sort of insult the fans. I don't even care if it's a minor thing. Sometimes the minor things can turn out to be real big, especially with the age of social media and assholes like me reading articles about this and just making themselves upset probably over nothing because it's going to be highly successful. And I know it's going to be because, you know, they get the way they're talking about bringing most everybody back for this. people are going to run to go see it people are going to bring their kids to go see they'll probably do like revival screenings of the first two and they'll bring their kids to the movies to go see those and it's going to be huge but I just don't appreciate that shit right there what about you Sue?
Suzanne: you know I love the first Ghostbusters I tolerated the second one I made it 20 minutes into the new one and I turned it off
Gary Hill: well that's to each their own you know
Suzanne: you know I tried
Gary Hill: because well you know me and remakes it's not really a remake really I don't know it's just oh I know it's and I also
Suzanne: I've never been a fan of the whole gender bending
Gary Hill: thing well they're doing that now with Lost Boys television series
Suzanne: oh god no
Gary Hill: the Frog Brothers are going to be Frog Sisters and whatever that you know we'll see how it turns out
Suzanne: yeah and Pat watched Oceans whatever the one is with the mostly female cast
Gary Hill: I did rewatch that and I'll say that it's still a turd sandwich, but I liked it a little better this time around.
Suzanne: Yeah, I pretty much came out, I did some stuff in the kitchen, I was listening to it, I'm like, oh my God, I can't even be in the same room as the television.
Gary Hill: It's Anne Hathaway, she's just awful.
Suzanne: I didn't even know she was in it, the only person I saw, I think Cate Blanchett and Sandra Bullock.
Gary Hill: She's real good, and Sarah Paulson's real good. That's my takeaway from The Motions 8, is that Sarah Paulson was real good and Cate Blanchett were real good. So if you listen to Lee Russell, and I know you probably are, you're wondering why I didn't like that movie, those are the two reasons to watch, in my opinion, okay? Those two people. Yeah, I just, I don't know. I just can't do it. Yeah.
Suzanne: But never, ever insult your fans. That's just, that's asking for trouble.
Gary Hill: He didn't build that world. His father built that world. And, yeah, he's just, I can't get over this. It's just one of those. What's a gun?
Suzanne: Don't be a dick. I think that's the takeaway from all of our bitches, too. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick when you're driving. Don't be a dick when you're talking about movies.
Gary Hill: That would be the same thing as Max Landis saying, you know what? That American Werewolf and Paris movie is really terrible. It's like, yes, but we know this. You don't got to tell us.
Suzanne: Yeah, we know.
Gary Hill: Don't kick the man when he's down, you know?
Suzanne: You know, we pretty much just pretend it's not there. That's what I do with it.
Gary Hill: Well, I've watched it. It's on Prime. I've watched it, tried to watch it while I tried to watch it. And then I fell asleep about 45 minutes in. Because it's just not great.
Suzanne: I ran a group of my friends to the theater to see it when it came out.
Gary Hill: Yeah.
Suzanne: And there were people that were shushing me. Okay, my friends were shushing me.
Gary Hill: There's that takeaway. You can take away if there's a really good Bush song in it. And that's all you can take away from that movie. I really like that Bush song from that movie. That's here and or there.
Suzanne: I completely forgot that there was a Bush song in the movie.
Gary Hill: People forgot about Bush, man. Not in a nasty way, but people just think of Gavin Rosdale as Gwen Stefani's husband now and nothing else.
Suzanne: They got so overplayed. I liked them when they first came out because I'm old. Yeah, they got so overplayed that every time I hear everything Zen, I just want to throw something at the radio.
Gary Hill: I could still churn on that first Bush album, though, and really enjoy it. I could still do it, you know.
Suzanne: It's a good album, but it just got so overplayed.
Gary Hill: Well, it's like when I was listening to the Oasis album, What's the Story of Morning Glory. This is all tangents, guys, and I don't apologize. I thought when Wonderwall was going to hit the list next, I was going to turn it off. I was like, no, I haven't heard this song in like five years. Let's just let it play. It's one of those things where you say, let's just let it play.
Suzanne: Yeah, I have that problem with Wonderwall. Oh, wow. This song is so annoying.
Gary Hill: Play it again.
Suzanne: Play it again.
Gary Hill: Play that shit again. But tonight, with apologies to Ricky Morgan, he was supposed to be here, but everybody's sick people. Ricky got the flu from people from work, he says, and I believe that because people are filthy animals when they want to be, not covering their mouth. I'm one of the biggest advocates of covering my nose and mouth when I cough or sneeze. And you can't always expect people to do that because they're fucking filthy germ mongers, hence why Ricky isn't here tonight.
Suzanne: Sorry, Ricky. Get better soon.
Gary Hill: Yes, indeed. Talk about two films, one of which is a Buena Vista picture. It's a Walt Disney production. The Black Hole from 1979. And then we're going to do Saturn 3 from, I think, the year after. Or right around there. Which is a total different feel. Well, it's the same but different than The Black Hole. We're going to get into that real soon, let me tell you. We'll start with The Black Hole from 1979 right after this.
Rik Morgan Trailer: Hello everyone. I'm Rick Morgan and I want to share with you a scientific breakthrough that can change your life. Many people struggle through life with personal imperfections, shameful actions, and bad habits. So I'm here to tell you that there is a cure. All you have to do is subscribe to the House of Wax Classic Horror Podcast. I've been subscribed for only two months, and my results have been amazing. But don't take my word for it. Listen to these subscribers' success stories.
Suzanne: I used to have pampered chef parties at my house and murder everyone that would show up. But after listening to The House of Wax, I don't even cook anymore.
Rik Morgan Trailer: I used to have bad teeth, but since subscribing to The House of Wax, I show my pearly whites wherever I go. I suffer with the need of bestiality. but since House of Wax I don't suffer anymore huh? oh no no I still love the animals I just don't feel as guilty with House of Wax playing in the background so if you need a new horror show then listen to the House of Wax podcast it might just save your life House of Wax is a proud member of Legion Podcasts and you can actually see this show on the new YouTube channel. Just look up House of Wax.
The Black Hole Trailer: There is an inexorable force in the cosmos where time and space converge. A place beyond man's vision, but not his reach. It is the most mysterious and awesome point in the universe. Whether here and now, maybe forever. And my ship, you ask. It is unavoidable. Moving through space. Swallowing everything in its path. Radio waves, light. Are you programmed to speak? Even planets and stars. The ship. Go, go. Fire thrusters. That madman is headed straight for the black hole. What'll we do? We wait. We got you. All right. We got you. Hurry. It's all right. It's okay. Now. Gravity's at maximum, Dan. My God, I think it's got us. Man is about to enter. We've got a break here, too. The black hole. A journey that begins where everything ends.
Gary Hill: The Black Hole from 1979. This is a Disney picture, as I mentioned before. Your cheapo plot synopsis is this. A research vessel. Vessel, vessel, vessel, vessel. I'm talking like Chekhov now, see? Finds a missing ship commanded by a mysterious scientist on the edge of a black hole. This stars Maximilian Schell, Anthony Perkins, Robert Forster. I'm not used to looking at when he's young. It's very strange to me. Joseph Bottoms. Yvette Mimou, I get to say that again, see? And Ernest Borgnine. A pistachio Ernest Borgnine. And it features voices of the robots.
Suzanne: Roddy McDowell.
Gary Hill: Roddy McDowell. And the other robot, the one with Bashed Up robot, named Bob, is Slim Pickens, who is uncredited. And that's important to say.
Suzanne: Neither him nor Roddy McDowell were credited in the movie.
Gary Hill: Yeah, that's kind of booty on their part. Oh, my gosh. But let's kick it to Sue, and I'll ask her what she thinks of the black hole.
Suzanne: Okay, I vaguely remember watching this when I was, like, in seventh grade or something, and this is how much it meant for me then. It was like watching it all over again for the first time, because I remembered absolutely nothing. And I also remember hearing, reading that Neil deGrasse Tyson hates the black hole because it's so completely scientifically inaccurate and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. You know what? I get it. Yeah, it's not scientifically accurate. Not even fucking remotely. And I will say this about the movie. It's very visually stunning.
Gary Hill: Well, the model works great.
Suzanne: I think it's a beautiful movie to look at that has zero substance. I read that they were basically trying to race with Star Wars. They were trying to get something out. And I just think they had some great ideas there that, because they rushed it, were never realized.
Gary Hill: That's fair enough.
Suzanne: And, I mean, I love the little robots. And, of course, I was sitting here watching it with Pat, and, you know, Pat, what does Pat love more than anything? bad science fiction movies and he hates this movie what does that say science you know and he's like spaceships laser beams that's all he wants and this has spaceships and laser beams and he did not like it whatsoever but i was just i guess it thank god for the visuals because i kept nodding off while i was watching it i had to go i made like two cups of coffee watching an hour and movie, trying to keep my ass awake. It just, there's absolutely no substance to it. I liked some of the concepts they had. You know, him turning all of his crew into robots, that was kind of cool. Maximilian is just a bastard, which you know, I kind of love that about him. And I never got to see Robot Dick. Maybe I just wasn't looking for Robot Dick.
Gary Hill: I've heard of this boner and you get it towards the end of the movie when him and Vincent are going at it. The very outmatched Vincent going against this big old, you've never seen him before it's just this big old red metallic beast with like a Cylon eye in the middle of his face but doesn't quite flash it just stays red. Yeah. So he's kind of terrifying and Vincent's this little floating thing that can shoot lasers in his cocky as hell voiced by Ronnie McDowell and he's going toe to toe with him and using all of his magnet power to stay on and shoot him with his lasers. And there's a point where this little thing pops up off of Maximilian's midsection and that is your robot dong. People have always told me that robot's got a dong. It's going to pop out for a second. And it did.
Suzanne: I never even went to robot dong in that scene. Never.
Gary Hill: That robot needed a dong
Suzanne: movie let me tell you it's just not it just it had potential that you know the that was never realized i said i found parts of the story interesting and the rest was just kind of it it was all filler in visual effects and thank you for the excellent visual effects or else i probably would have crashed throughout every time i tried to watch it it's not horrible it's i i get But Disney made a wry attempt at trying to compete with Star Wars, and they failed.
Gary Hill: I have a slightly different opinion about this movie. I probably enjoyed it more than Suzanne. I've only seen it once, like Suzanne said, when I was a kid. I remember back in the day, and this is how I learned how to read, actually. They used to have these cassette tapes with books, with storybooks. And you would read along with the voice that was on the tape. when it made the ding, you would turn the page. Well, I remember specifically Black Hole having one, and there was hundreds of other ones. We used to get them from the library, and I took this one out a few times, and I remember that correctly there, so I remember more about the voice on the tape than I do about the movie. But anyway, I thought this was a fun ride. I've always enjoyed that recluse in space that wasn't quite what he appears to be kind of deal, our Maximilian Schell who's a world class actor pulled us off pretty well being this like recluse with all these automatons hanging around running his different machines and you get the big reveal that he lied about his crew and it's never really said did he do this to his crew because they wouldn't follow orders it's never really said that it's just kind of saying well I turned them into robots because that's my only choice and you know that's And they're kind of alive, but they're not alive. And I really enjoyed that twist of this movie and his swagger. Borgnine with a mustache is real fine. I need more of that in my life. Can't have it now, unfortunately. But I've got to seek out more films where Borgnine has a mustache because he wears it very well.
Suzanne: The cast was stellar. They could not have picked better actors. you're right Ed, Borgnine is just kind of the rough and tumble dude he was great
Gary Hill: until he broke his leg and he's like go on without me Robert Forrester is your clean cut, I guess your Han Solo type character in this movie because I'd never seen him in a role like this and it was kind of delightful just to watch him running around the space station this movie does so many things that Star Wars does do and it's like took it from it almost. And that's fine. They even have the part where they dress up in the automaton garb and try to escape, and that lasts for about two seconds until they get found out. Hello, Naya. You're being a nice baby girl tonight, aren't you? Oh my goodness. That's okay.
Suzanne: I'm sorry.
Gary Hill: No, no. But the model work is stellar. I'm looking forward to some kind of Blu-ray for this, because even the copy I have on Vudu, which is supposedly 1080p has a lot of grain on it. I wish they would give the love for this to the original Tron, in which it would make the effects look up. I think it would make them pop even more. But like you said, Suzanne said, the story's kind of weak. The ending is really strange. Have you ever seen this before? Basically, our mad scientist has the idea that he's going to go through this black hole, but his ship starts to break apart as he's his calculations were wrong, I guess, or something. And there's this part at the end where everything blows up, the floors start to collapse, and all of his little automatons start to fall off the floor. But I guess he's in hell, and now he inhabits the body of Maximilian the robot. I don't understand this ending of this movie. It's like he's like the god of all these automatons now, in hell, and...
Suzanne: It was very, very odd.
Gary Hill: He's standing atop of a mountain because, like, like front, like dick to dick with his robot creation. And then all of a sudden he's inside his robot creation. I was like, did they fuck with the robot dick? I don't know. We're never gonna find out though, because the ending is just fucking weird. But, um... Why is it so fucking perverted? I don't know. Everybody's real fine though. I enjoyed, you know, the chase stuff was a lot of fun, although these robots were very easily killed. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when Vincent's going toe-to-toe having a blaster off with one of the robots and... Robots? One of the robots slash humans and he's showing them off because he's picking on his little crumbly robot friend and he's not a fan of that, so if there's anything I love about this film, it's the cockiness of the little shitty Vincent robot who, you know, fuck your BB-8. Vincent was the cool little robot first. All you need to do is start rolling around and it'd be the same fucking thing, but you have more badass stuff on him than fucking lame BB-8.
Suzanne: Oh my god. Yeah, Vincent did it. Vincent was my favorite part of the movie, and the robot shoot-off was pretty damn cool.
Gary Hill: If it wasn't Roddy McDowell, it wouldn't have been the same. Let's put it that way, though. So the voice is what sold me.
Suzanne: Well, I got a little irritated that they made the busted-down robot Southern. Is that, like, a slight?
Gary Hill: Well, when you find out that Slim Pickens, I guess you don't feel too bad about it, you know? No, I don't. Yes, because he's a treasure, and, you know, you should love you some Slim Pickens.
Suzanne: If you don't love Slim Pickens, there's something wrong with you.
Gary Hill: Mm-hmm. Oh, but, yeah, that's about sold for this one. Suzanne, anything else you'd like to say about the film? I'm probably worse tonight. I'm going to give it 1 to 10.
Suzanne: It's not a bad movie. I just wish that they had developed the story a little bit more. The cast, I mean, they had this cast that you could literally do no wrong with. And it just seems like they were wasted at certain times. But Vincent, you're right. Vincent totally made the movie. And I never got a chance to say it, so I have to say it. Yvette Namu.
Gary Hill: There you go.
Suzanne: You know, being the sole female amongst everybody. Everybody did just a fantastic job. I just wish that they developed it more. That's all I'm saying. I don't hate it.
Gary Hill: And her biggest action set piece is her brain possibly getting blasted by a laser. And, you know, that really sucks that she was so helpless. If I had to give a slight against this movie, you know.
Suzanne: Oh, yeah, but I'm pretty much at, like, maybe a five.
Gary Hill: Yeah, okay. I'll go a little higher than you. I had a much better time with this film than I ever expected. I've always heard, you know, fair to good things about it, so I'm going to give it a fair to good score. I'm going to give it a six and a half out of ten, and I'm probably going to watch it again because I had a lot of fun with it. You know, and there's so many Star Wars knockoffs, and this is another one of those. But I think it's a movie you get to watch with your kids As long as you don't listen to this review, we start talking about robot dicks and robots fucking their creators and going inside of the robot. And yeah, don't listen to this review and explain that to your kids. That'd be bad for you. But next up, we're going to talk about this is going to be some beef after dark because robots are going to get sexy, y'all. And Saturn 3, right after this.
NFW Podcast Trailer: Hello. Have you ever heard of MSK 3000? Yeah, well, we ain't them. But we are movie fans who like to drink and talk shit about our favorite movies. So join me, your host, Nudie, along with my co-host, Jake the Snake, and special guest stars as we dissect our favorite, or maybe not so favorite, movies on the NFW Podcast, otherwise known as No Fucking Way. You can catch us on Heart Ophelia, and also at NFW underscore podcast on Twitter, or NFW Podcast at Yahoo.com.
Saturn 3 Trailer: In an isolated sector of our solar system, suspended in orbit around the sixth planet from our sun, lies a distant outpost. A technologically perfect world where mistakes are impossible. Because the impossible is unthinkable. It is called Saturn 3. Each year for 22 days, a solar eclipse plunges this outpost into shadow lock. Total darkness All communication Is terminated This year The inhabitants of Saturn 3 Are about to experience The unthinkable A nightmare so perfect It could only have been made by man Captain Major This is my partner There are only four inhabitants on Saturn 3. One of them is not human. No! No! No! No! No! No! Don't let him touch me! Do as you're told. They're still. No! Get back! Get back! Come on!
Gary Hill: Saturn 3 is from, yeah, the year of my birth, 1980. We've done a lot of 1980 films lately, and I don't apologize for that. But it is totally accidental. This stars Kirk Douglas in all of his Kirk Douglas glory. Farrah Fawcett in all of her Fawcett glory running. And yeah, you get some other stuff too. Harvey Keitel as Benson. Not that Benson, people. This Benson wears green leather pants. And that ain't not bad. And that's your short cast for this film. And the robot, of course. And a dog. But we'll talk about that. That's upsetting.
Suzanne: Oh, don't worry. I'm going to touch upon the dog.
Gary Hill: Okay. But this plot synopsis is this. Two lovers, well, they become lovers, I guess, stationed at a remote base in the asteroid fields of Saturn are intruded upon by a retentive technocrat. What the fuck that means?
Suzanne: Who the fuck write that review?
Gary Hill: I don't know. From Earth and his charge, a benevolent eight-foot robot. Okay. Sue, I'll kick it to you again.
Suzanne: what's your thoughts on saturday i i'm i think once again this is one of those movies that i watched at some point in the past because various parts of it look familiar but once again it was like watching it for the first time ever again i i kind of grooved on it i actually really liked it i thought it was a little cheese ball but you know the you know kirk russell kirk russell why do i want to say kirk russell kirk douglas and farah you know trying to run a hydroponics farm on one of
Gary Hill: that moves all i thought about was marijuana that's all i think and you know they've got this happy
Suzanne: little relationship going they've got a little dog named sally which you knew the dog was doomed
Gary Hill: the second you knew she had a dog as soon as the dog hit the screen you the dog was doomed
Suzanne: oh come on dude it's like you put a dog in here just to kill it because you don't have enough cast members to kill
Gary Hill: damn you people
Suzanne: and you know it's like I was a little bit surprised I mean one of the very first scenes you see this dude just get kind of mangled to death and then shot out of the space I was like I actually rewound it back and watched it like two times
Gary Hill: he literally got slashed to ribbons people literally
Suzanne: and then this guy Benson pretty much takes off assumes the captainship of this little mining would you just like a hydroponics farm
Gary Hill: they're trying to find new ways to grow food apparently earth is in the shits I guess and the point of them being at the station is finding I guess new ways to hydroponically grow food
Suzanne: yeah and then uh this dude shows up benson and his evil robot uh oh god i just forgot the robot's name and a hector hector yes and just kind of they put the he puts the kibosh and all of that's like oh you're really pretty um i'm gonna use you tonight oh yeah well all righty then sexy time sexy time and just it's actually a really good movie for being you know small cast great movie Hector the killer robot was kind of cool I liked him
Gary Hill: the problem I have with Hector was he didn't really have a head it just was kind of those googly flashing eyes hanging around all the time
Suzanne: yeah Google flashy eyes, yeah. And that's not rapey at all.
Gary Hill: Continue, I'm sorry.
Suzanne: It's okay. But yeah, I mean, he's just constantly trying to, you know, sleep with Alex. And, you know, push Kirk Douglas to the side. And I've seen things in this movie that I never, ever wanted to see. I never, ever wanted to see Kirk Douglas' ass. But I did!
Gary Hill: Yeah, a 62-year-old Kirk Douglas' ass in this movie.
Suzanne: yeah there's some things you can't unsee and that's kind of the scene that I'm really don't ever ever ever want to see again
Gary Hill: it's just what you think it's good and sagging people okay you know
Suzanne: I mean he's still he was still a muscular dude but
Gary Hill: I'm sure 40 year old Kirk Douglas had a very muscular ass this is not the case okay it's kind of yeah go for it I'm sorry
Suzanne: oh that's okay yeah now he's like chewing on my elbows. I lost my train of thought for a minute. Ass.
Gary Hill: Kirk Douglas ass.
Suzanne: And, you know, in Harvey Keitel, I was really kind of surprised as I didn't... I never really... Like I said, I knew I'd seen the movie before. This might have been before I got into Harvey Keitel. But he's just kind of a prick.
Gary Hill: Also, some of you don't want to see Naked. Watch Bad Lieutenant, people.
Suzanne: That's another thing. I don't ever want to see that again. Because you get like some full frontal in Bad Lieutenant that no one ever needs to see.
Gary Hill: Yeah. Like Steve Buscemi's ass in Boardwalk Empire. You don't want to see that either. That's kind of gross, you know.
Suzanne: Yeah.
Gary Hill: World-class actor, looks terrible naked. So there's that.
Suzanne: Oh, yeah. But it was, I just thought that, you know, the power struggle was, I mean, it was palpable. They did a good job of creating that. And then with the addition of, you know, Hector, the killer googly-eyed rapey robot. And it's just, it was pretty, it was pretty damn entertaining. I was a little surprised because Pat told me that Farrah Fawcett died. And I'm like, I don't remember that. Oh, wow, that'll be fun. You know, Kirk Douglas died.
Gary Hill: He sacrifices himself, people.
Suzanne: Yes, the self-sacrifice. and then Farrah gets to go to Earth
Gary Hill: yeah and she gets big she buys stock on Aquedad apparently because that hair is real big at the end of that movie
Suzanne: oh yeah I wonder if they hydroponically grew her makeup too because she always had full facial makeup
Gary Hill: oh yeah but she had to look good for her daddy daddy daddy Kirk you know she had that punch on for old men apparently I've never been to Earth I've never seen other dudes this old guy will do alright let's see if his dick still works apparently it did oh man I love the way this movie starts basically like you said the guy makes a comment to this rando in a helmet big old black helmet you don't know it's Harvey Keitel yet said that I heard you I forgot that he said something about him failing some kind of psychological profile or something. So right away, you know this guy's fucking nuts. And then he opens the air shaft to shoot his friend out the door and literally cuts him to ribbons because there's this big old wire and the guy gets cut to pieces. It's kind of great.
Suzanne: Oh, yeah.
Gary Hill: Once you get to the meat and potatoes of this film, you get these two characters, Farrah Fawcett, if you're a dude, you know, I'm a dude, you got to see some Farrah Fawcett boob, at least one of them in this movie, so there's that to enjoy. she's with this old man and then he shows up and when he opens his gob, he starts to talk and you're thinking, that's not Harvey Keitel talking, it's not. He got overdubbed by this British actor, Roy D'Otrese, who's been in like one thing I've seen him in. He's been in a ton apparently. It was the Corsican Brothers, the Cheech and Chong movie.
Suzanne: What? Yeah.
Gary Hill: But yeah, he's totally overdubbed. I knew it right away. I was like, this doesn't sound like him at all. Not even like, oh, this is just the younger version. Because I watched Blue Collar. And they let him talk in Blue Collar. It was probably made a couple years earlier than this. And that was a little strange. But what was strange was this green leather outfit that he wears through most of this
Suzanne: movie. Yeah.
Gary Hill: That looked very form-fitting on him. And I guess this is why he thought, once the green leather has come out to play, I get to come play too. Because there's some very rapey, you know, just not go against your Me Too status at all, people, because right from the jump, he's like, you know what? He's old. I'm young. You want to fuck? Why wouldn't you want to fuck me? I'm much younger than he is, and I might be psychotic. Let me program my robot here to say he wants to fuck you, too, because that's a big throughline to this film, is that he's basically putting his traits into this robot, and he's learning stuff from him, so the whole time the robot wants to fuck her too to a point where he turns against his master and tears his hand off hilariously so the whole time of this movie you got this robot who is running around and eventually decapitates old Harvey and Benson Harvey Benson which is the only time he has a head throughout the entire movie because like I mentioned to Suzanne, this only real problem I have with this robot, it needed like a solid head to it, and that would have made him more imposing than it already was, because he was pretty imposing without the head, but if he had like a cool head, you know, and not the stupid plastic light-up eye googly eyes, I think it would have been even more imposing, and that hurt my thought of the robot a little bit, but um it's a lot of fun i i think that it's as simple as the idea is the fact that it goes on for an hour and 26 minutes i'm not really bored by it and that's that'd be really hard to do in a story like this in which you pretty much get all your exposition and all you're jumping off in like the first 40 minutes and then what do you do with the rest of the movie you know you you make it interesting and they managed to pull that off with chases and you know all kinds of good stuff until the end and it really went nowhere because he pretty much had free will in which the robot was going to control Kirk Douglas through his matrix hole that's what I'm going to call it
Suzanne: yeah the matrix hole
Gary Hill: that's what it looked like this jack that's in the back of his neck
Suzanne: or the existenz porthole
Gary Hill: yes indeed and that really went nowhere because he blows up the robot in the ice water at the end and the robot didn't even see it coming so if there's anything to bitch about for this movie is that the robot is supposed to be this all knowing being who picks up AI information from everything that he interacts with but he didn't see Kirk Douglas stealing these explosives out of this thing on this very automated space station where you probably see and know everything that he's doing I don't see this it's like hey Hey, hey, Farrah, distract him with your titties. Okay. You know, that would have been more interesting. She's like, hey, Hector. And then, like, you didn't see, I wouldn't mind seeing the boobs, of course, but to be tasteful, hey, you want to do something? You know, that would have been a distraction for the robot. You know? Whilst he's stealing these explosives to destroy him with. And, yeah. You get a lot of Farrah running in this film, and that's fine. You eat a lot of...
Suzanne: Kirk Russell. Why do I keep wanting to call him Kirk Russell?
Gary Hill: Call him Kirk Russell. It's fine.
Suzanne: Kirk Douglas running. And Harvey Keitel wearing green leather and rapey robot.
Gary Hill: Righteous robot ass. That robot has a butt for some reason. I don't know why. It's just there, though.
Suzanne: And, uh...
Gary Hill: It's like the metallic butt cheeks just hanging down. I'm like, what is the point of those? Is he trying to be a sexy robot, I guess? sexy robot sexy robot oh yeah in a future time baby robots robots have the dark i guess because
Suzanne: everybody has got so overboard in every movie lately is it two hours or longer it was nice just to go back to the classics they're like an hour and a half it was real clean i thought it
Gary Hill: was very clean and x said that he didn't like this movie i'm i was really surprised that he didn't
Suzanne: like this movie but um i mean it's it's got its it's slower moving parts but they kept the story tight they didn't try to go overboard they didn't try to do much they did just just enough yeah
Gary Hill: all right um anything else they say about the movie when you give a one to ten i honestly i
Suzanne: was really surprised at how much i enjoyed it because i really just there's a very small subset of sci-fi that I truly enjoy and I really was surprised at how much I enjoyed watching this and I'll probably end up watching this again because Pat informed me this was one of his favorite movies so I'm pretty much I'm actually just you know trying to quickie watch it today I'm at a 7 and that rating will probably go up on subsequent viewings
Gary Hill: yeah me I dug it and it's the first ever watched it now. I'll give it a watch again because it had a nice feel. It had a small cast. So that helps films with me. If you've got a small cast of people, in this case three, you have to really make that a character study. And that really works in a film like this. It works in Dawn of the Dead. I'm sorry if some of you like the remake better, but you guys are wrong because I can give a fuck about any of those characters.
Suzanne: I could not agree with you more.
Gary Hill: So when you get a small group together, you have to really try harder with the writing to make them relatable and likable because you have to be with these same three people for an hour and a half. Well, that and a sex-craved robot, you know, with a shiny metallic ass. But yeah, it's real fine. I'm going to give it that same seven, but I'm going to watch it again. I'll probably enjoy it even more. It's available on Amazon Prime to watch right now currently. I think Screen Factory has a Blu-ray of this as well for you guys' consumption. But I'm going to leave it at that. And we'll come back and we'll close out the show.
Hail Ming Power Hour Trailer: Clytus, I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today? An obscure body in the SK system, your majesty. The inhabitants refer to it as the planet Earth. How peaceful it looks. Most effective, your majesty We'll destroy this earth Destroy it utterly Send Rick and Banny in wool rocket ejects So, just destroy it? That's what Ming said Don't you ever listen? Well, there's no arguing with Ming Hail Ming. Wait, you see those transmissions on the visuous green? Crow? Nightmare on Elm Street? Chud 2? Black Belt Jones? Nightbreed? What's a critter? I've seen those things. Flash? I guess we could wait a while before the destruction. Yeah, and watch some movies. And talk about them. The Helming Power Hour. Disobedience to Ming. For now. You can find us at Legion Podcasts. You can find us on Facebook. iTunes. We're on Twitter. We're on Instagram. At WW... You know what? Just Google it for yourself. Just Google it, you bestages. Helming. Breaking 2? Electric Boogaloo? Samurai Cop? Army of Darkness? Flashdance? We might destroy the planet if it's Flashdance.
Gary Hill: Well, Suzanne, I don't have any really deaths to report, but I have some other stuff to report. This Saturday, Suzanne, she will be joining us, myself and Mike Merriman, and we will be recording the very first episode, the pilot episode of Burning for Springwood, which is a full series retrospective of the Freddy's Nightmares series Mike's very excited about it Suzanne I think is excited about it
Suzanne: I'm very excited
Gary Hill: I'm on the fence about it because I know some of her fucking hot garbage you know but uh we're gonna make the most out of it Mike already said he has some guests that are interested in coming on so I say bring them on so anything to ease the pain of these 44 minute crab fests because they're a little too long that's my biggest problem. We'll get into all that later on. I watched the first three episodes of The Wonder Years so I could pull some sound clips from them for the first episode of Kevin Arnold, Underdog or Asshole. And that doesn't have a co-host yet, but I got a feeling I could string somebody for that or maybe go solo, but I'm very wooden when I go solo, so I'll see if I can grab somebody for that.
Suzanne: When are you going to do that?
Gary Hill: Oh, I have no idea. Oh, count me
Suzanne: in. I love the first, like, couple of seasons of the wonder years yeah that's coming uh get ready for some some some hate
Gary Hill: watching for that and you did not not unintentional hate watches of those episodes because you're a little fucking creep even in the first few that i watched i was like you know what you're a little fucking asshole but uh yeah besides that two drink is coming uh back i don't know when that's gonna be uh we'll talk about this off air susan i got susan i got i got plans though and it may make some changes in the show but I don't know what's going to happen but um but uh Suzanne what you got coming up girl
Suzanne: next week we are continuing with Vampire Month and recording 30 days of night on NFW and that's on Horrorfilia and well like I said we got burned in for spring spring spring was well for obvious reasons yes I know and Naya's excited too
Gary Hill: Naya's excited too yes
Suzanne: and yeah that's pretty much it right now
Gary Hill: yeah if you haven't already I know we have a few last time I checked go check out the Legion Patreon page in which you can get exclusive commentaries and exclusive stuff and you can help out our great boss Bo Rensdell and help him pay for hosting fees and you know all that good stuff come listen to all the great shows on legionpodcasts.com and horrorfilia.com respectively because we're on both of those networks not this show but other shows sloppy seconds movie sequel podcast I'm working on getting an episode together for that to record it might not be Deathstalker 2 but I'm in talks with a guy who's partially got done a documentary about the film Rock Roll High School Forever and that's a film that's so stupid that I can't help enjoy where Corey Feldman is singing and swinging in that movie.
Suzanne: Oh, God, no.
Gary Hill: It's really bad in parts, but really fucking delightful. This guy took time to get some of the actors together. He's still working on. Last I heard, he was in negotiations with Corey Feldman's people to get him in the documentary. He's working on getting Mary Warren off, too. This is all talk at this point. I don't want to announce, yeah, it's happening. because I don't know if it's happening or not. But, yeah, I was supposed to have an interview with that guy and do a review of the show, of the movie on the show. So that's probably going to be the next big sloppy seconds. Twitter GW, Twitter at CinebeefCast. Next up, I don't know what that's going to be. It might be something with Dan and Lacey. We've been talking about a couple things, so stay tuned for that. Again, I make no promises. Scheduling has been hard with the winter and people are getting sick you know it always sucks in the winter but spring spring is on the way people and that makes me very very happy but um that's it for this one a lot of butums on this one i'm sorry about that but not sorry this has been your cinema beef podcast where if you've got beef we've got the grinder She's a black belt in karate Working for the city She has to discipline her body Cause she knows that It's demanding To defeat those evil machines I know she can be there Oh, you're she-man They don't believe me But you won't let those robots See me, you're she-man They don't believe me But you won't let those Robots to feed me Those evil natured robots They're programmed to destroy us She's gotta be strong to fight now So she's taking lots of vitamins Cause she knows that It'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can be them. Oh, you're she, man. They don't believe me. But you won't let those robots defeat me. If she meant They don't believe me But you won't let us Robots eat me If she meant Evil robots win Yeah I know that she can beat them Oh, you're she-man They don't believe me But you want those robots to feed me You're she-man They don't believe me But you won't let those robots defeat me You're sheaming, they don't believe me But you won't let those robots defeat me You're sheaming, they don't believe me But you won't let those robots he made