CJ: All right. Do this for something new. Tell me, what are we talking about today?
Duke: I get to pick.
CJ: Yeah, man, you get to pick. This is your time to shine.
Duke: All right. So, I have been dying to bring this to the ServiceNow community for quite a long time. I have been working with a company that is just absolutely. revolutionizing, service management and asset management and automation when it comes to, mobility and telecom and, uh, the company's name is SACON. And I am so pleased that we have Michelle Wheeler from SACON to join us today and talk about mobility and service. Now it's going to be so awesome.
CJ: I can't wait. Michelle, I've heard so many good things about SACON and I am so looking forward to just talk about, SACON a little bit more in depth and get to know, um, what you guys do more as a service.
Michele: Great. Thank you so much. It's a pleasure, , to be on this famous or infamous, uh, podcast. So
CJ: It's been both.
Duke: Good point. Good point. Yeah. Why not both? Right?
CJ: Definitely been both before.
Michele: Thanks . Yeah, I can first tell you a little bit about my role here at SACON, which is a private company. We've been in business for around 20 years. , I'm vice president of our products and solutions for our device practice. So, as you alluded to, Rob, we have two, , distinct practices at SACON. One is for telecom management, which, , provides products and solutions and services to help enterprise manage everything telecom. , and network management within their environment, including, , network inventory and then on the device side, which is where I live and breathe, it's all about helping enterprises manage their enterprise mobility. And I think that's what we'll dig into today, the challenges of managing and really a handle on your enterprise mobility within the enterprise and really how that relates back to service now.
Duke: And it's going to be such a treat because every time I look at ServiceNow's demo data and it's like, Hey, let's order an iPhone five. And everybody's like, yeah, we're doing mobility management, baby.
Michele: Right. I think it's a really interesting place to start and this is a perfect place for me to get on my soapbox a little bit because when I'm doing client presentations, I can't stay there too long, but so this is a perfect opportunity for me. But it's just so interesting. If you look at the evolution of the end user device, and probably as early 5, 10 years ago, right? Mobile devices, smartphones, tablets. some other device types as well. If you look at how they were leveraged and the enterprise, they were always a nice to have, right? You would check your email. Maybe you would be able to, I don't know, submit an expense report or whatever. Right? But there has been a significant and massive shift within the enterprise where these devices are now literally critical to running their business. And, if you think about, what would happen to an enterprise, right? If all of their devices stopped working, I got to tell you that the lights would go off. So that's how critical these devices are. And it's across all industries, right? And some of them are Very strategic right in the health care industry now. This is how doctors and nurses right are leveraging the apps on their tablets and smartphones to provide health care services. If you think about, , e commerce, and, all of the delivery mechanisms, they're all carrying a device with them to scan packages, right? Or,
Duke: it's not just a phone, right? It's like point of sale systems and in healthcare, they'll have like, just a connected device on a cart or a trolley or something. And it's just, it's not a phone, right? Or a tablet. It's just a thing.
Michele: yeah, the airline industry, they don't think about that, the pilots have a tablet, obviously the flight attendants are carrying around, some sort of ruggedized, smartphone, things like that. It's literally everywhere. And point of sale devices have become really, popular as well.
Duke: Hmm.
Michele: So that's the evolution of the device. What happens pretty much organically is that when these devices become imperative and so important to running businesses, that means that the enterprise then pays a lot more attention to these devices. And there is a absolute need to be able to have a solution and a product to be able to manage everything about the device. And. That leads into the 2nd, topic, which is device life cycle. What is device life cycle? So if you think about any given device type, , it goes through different phases of its device life. I like to talk about it and in terms of pre life, active life and post life and the pre life is really just about starting even at the manufacturer. it's being, developed, It's being manufactured. It's usually sent to some sort of VAR value added reseller. It might be put in some sort of stock inventory for a particular enterprise. Then it gets put into a box or even before that it might be staged or kitted with accessories, or you're installing different applications on those devices. And then it's going off into some truck, Or plane to be delivered. Then what's really interesting is that all of a sudden, this device becomes active. It lights up. It's in the hands of the employee. And now there's a whole other series of, data, And, , interfaces and vendors and carriers and things that you have to start tracking now, because now it's being used. So now there's, apps being used, data being generated, costs being incurred, And so there's that whole active life part of it. And a big piece of that is, What happens when it breaks? how do you get it replaced? advanced exchange is what they call it. And then, of course, there's the post life, which is, what happens to the devices when they're returned or when the employee is off boarded. And as, you know, enterprises are really looking closer at and finding sustainability and the environmental impact of these devices. even more important are putting a lot more stress on it. So that end of life for that post life is, is becoming even more and more important about where did these devices go? Where's the data that's on these devices? How do you wipe that data? So that it becomes clean. . And then where does that piece of hardware go? Is it remarketed? Is it recycled? And depending on your industry, is it even, destroyed?
Duke: I want to break in here for a quick moment, because that's 1 of the things that really shocked me when I started working with you guys is not only the fact that there is this tremendous, gold mine of data that should be in your system, but isn't, but also that there are so many more workflows to control, like, I think. A lot of my industry might look at something like mobility management. It's just like, Oh yeah, that's like ordering a phone. Right. And that's kind of the only, window they have into the room. But I wonder if you could talk to us about some of the other industry standard workflows that are part of managing all your mobile devices. Like what's the big capital M managing what flows are part of that?
Michele: Yeah, I definitely will. And I'm just going to finish capping off that life cycle conversation, if you don't mind, because again, going back to the evolution of the device. And that is. That's also been a shift in the industry. Whereas. When devices weren't as strategic and critical, Enterprises were probably just okay with tracking the active life. Once it was turned on. Oh, it's an active device. Maybe it has MDM on it and they go on their merry way. That is different now. These enterprises want to micromanage Every movement of that life cycle from the time that device is born to the time it's retired, and there really is a demand for it. But to your point, it is extremely challenging. So I wanted to set that scene before talking about some of the challenges because hopefully I've illustrated in that device life cycle. To your point, there's so many moving parts and you're right. It's not just 1 workflow. The easy 1 obviously is to use and very important. Obviously is order a new device. But there's a whole library of transactions and workflows that make up managing the device lifecycle. and I've ticked off some of them, but I'll just, I'll give you some more examples. A workflow. To upgrade your device, replace it, If it's been, broken, suspend your line. If it's a connected device with the carrier and, and it's been lost or stolen and you want to get it suspended because of, security,
Duke: variables
Michele: it's been suspended, um, there's disconnect, , transfer liability, ports , and the list goes on, but those are all workflows that must be managed within the enterprise for those devices.
CJ: I remember when I was in, um, enterprise it. and this is, I don't call it 10 years ago, uh, and we were managing like a fleet of device. Right. And honestly, that, that became like one of the biggest things that we did, because it was in that time period , where smartphones were really coming of age. Right. And you could start to do so much more with the phone than you could before, because everything prior to that was really just a BlackBerry. BlackBerrys were great, but They were just email devices, right? But then iPhone came around and everyone wants an iPhone. They got apps and so on and so forth. And they're not all everyone's got an iPhone. And then there's the iPads, right? And then those come out and the company that I work for is very much a white collar executive heavy. And so everybody wanted the new tech. And so the struggle we always had. Was managing a lot of those workflows that you just mentioned, not just like, you know, the onboarding and then, waiting for it to come back. But what happens if one of these things gets lost or what happens if someone's traveling and it stops working? How do we like shut that thing off? How do we get a new one out there? How do we even track it? You know, a whole lot of those things, right? That it seems like SACON is really solved. That, back in my day, you know, we were doing manually. And so, you know, I hear it.
Duke: That manually part though is huge. And this is another thing that's like why I say kind of just one of those apps. I stopped got to be involved in this. Because, Michelle, tell us like how bad it is out there. Like when we say it's manual stuff, like all that stuff we just talked about for ten whole minutes, right? It's all manual. And tell us how bad it is though.
Michele: I will. I will. But by the way, like the devices have gotten cooler, and more exciting. But if you look at how they're managed, right, it's still manual, Corey. So, um, kind of a newsflash and you're right. I mean, these enterprises find themselves in a lot of pain, So if you would ever do this kind of inside look right within the inner workings of an enterprise, what you would find is a lot of frustration and a lot of chaos. And a lot of decentralization. So, remember all those different device types. They each have their own device life cycle. They each have their own set of vendors, contracts, service providers, carriers. And I'm just going to pause at carriers. Because think about any device that's connected, which simply means it's connected to a carrier service, right? each carrier, has its own portal, its own set of data, its own regulations. And if you're talking about a global client now, just imagine how many interfaces or integrations you would need to do to pull in all of this information about all of your devices. So take a, enterprise that might be in 40 countries. Now you're looking at, you know, 40 to 50 carriers, That's providing services to these different devices in your organization. How do you get all that data? And then how do you get all that data into a single place? And they basically can't. So what they find themselves in is this very decentralized environment where they have many different departments or groups or by country that's trying to manage all of this manually. They're getting in spreadsheets. They have their own. processes and tools and things like that. And so when these clients are coming to us, they're like, basically, like, help us, right? Because they absolutely in order to be able to manage enterprise mobility effectively. And obviously effectively in service now, you have to be able to centralize this data and to do it on your own is, basically simply impossible.
Duke: Silence.
CJ: Yeah. So you just described the company that I used to work in when I said enterprise IP, we're a multinational company, right? We had offices across the world. And, as you know, once you start going. outside the U. S. The number of carriers, , really multiplies. And so we had a person who was responsible for telecom and basically the Americas rice and from Canada down all the way down to the tip of South America. That was pretty easy to do, right? Because America has like, I don't know, for the big or whatever is really easy to standardize on 1 or 2 of those. Canada has 1 that you can standardize so on and so forth. Right? Then you can go over to like, a Mia. Yeah. Right. And each one of those like little places that would be a state in America is a country, And it's really prevalent to go back and forth across country lines. In the course of a day and switch carriers back and forth. And so not only. We were managing the carriers, we were managing the carriers according to roaming rates as well, right? Because you want it to be on the carrier that had the right amount of coverage in the right spot with the least amount of roaming charges. and, and, you know, and we would see that you multiply that across however many countries there are in the world. And yes, we did have an entire team that was doing this. It was manual. They were using spreadsheets. , each country or each region did have their own processes, and they did collaborate vaguely and barely. Right. And it was always a challenge. So everything you said, I can completely and totally validate was the state of enterprise. I. T. The last time I was in it.
Michele: Right?
Duke: just imagine the pain, like, There's more and more of these devices coming out. We're buying more and more of them, their assets, are they not?
CJ: Yep.
Duke: And, it's not just the black rectangle sitting in my pocket. It's the service line that's part of that as well, right? They're both assets. Silence.
Michele: That's right. And actually, I'm going to tell you why that carrier information that we get in. Actually is so important to the asset, because 1 might immediately think of, oh, it's the service. There's a plan and the enterprise is getting charged for it. By the way, that's a big piece of our product and solution and service. But it's also really important being able to create and maintain accurate asset information. So maybe this will blow your mind a little bit, because I think lots of people think, oh, it's a laptop. Oh, it's a smartphone. And there might be 1 source that makes up an accurate asset record inside the surface now inside the, but I'm here to tell you that it's not. It's actually a representation. Of multiple data sources that make up an accurate device asset or service line asset, and I'll give you some examples. 1 of the key data sources, ? Is HR information or people information? Why is that important? Because typically all of these devices, Are assigned to someone most likely an end user and an employee. And it's really important to have that association for many things. End user experience. Employee satisfaction help desk calls. but also from a auditing perspective, how many active devices do you have out there? active lines associated to an active user. So that connection is really important. So that's 1 data source that we pull in to our SACON device platform to start reconciling the device information. We also pull in daily, through API integration feeds from the MDM and UEM, um, Clients that are installed on those devices, and that brings into our platform really valuable information about device attributes, The status of the device, confirming the number, the serial number, things like that, but also from a security and the compliance perspective, enterprises really want to know, are all my devices protected? Do they all have the client running on them? When was the last time that they logged in? So that's really important. And then. Yeah, sorry,
Duke: Sorry, like, but how are they doing that in service now, right now, without SACON?
Michele: they're not right. and that is the problem. And when we're talking to enterprises that have invested in service now, and I think, you know, really expected service now to, you know, maybe magically be able to do it day 2, they wake up and find themselves with a big challenge on their hand because. When they want to centralize their assets, they are definitely thinking it's going to include enterprise mobility mobility devices, but it's extremely complicated to get accurate asset information in there without a platform like that goes out and discovers and ingest all of these different data sources that we bring into our system. Take those data sources, reconcile them, find dispute, find discrepancies, close those gaps and then provide service now with real accurate. And a real source of truth for their, asset information about mobility devices.
CJ: can I tell you how cool it is and how cool you have to, you know, I'm sure you all feel when someone asks, how do you do that without your product? And the answer to that is you don't
Duke: I was sat down and like, thought about like, put a serious amount of thought into what it would be like. What would I do to just say like, screw it. I'm going to do myself. it's just, it's like the biggest ServiceNow thing I have ever seen. To do this on your own would be the biggest, let's just like break it down just a couple of ways, right? It's just, okay, so SACON goes and they integrate with all the carriers and all the service providers, right? So dozens, hundreds of bidirectional integrations,
Michele: Yeah, I mean,
Duke: crazy.
Michele: yeah, it depends on the enterprise, but yeah, but you're talking about, a smaller enterprise, Might have five, 10, 000 devices, But then you're talking also about the enterprises that have a hundred thousand devices or more. And each one of those, has all the different workflows that have, hundreds of different, service providers and carriers that you need to connect with to get the data. So it's vast.
Duke: getting, getting everything onto a unified data model on top of that, right? Because it's not like everybody, all these people track it the same way. it's mind boggling, mind boggling.
CJ: What I love about it, though, is that it accentuates all the benefits of a ServiceNow platform, that common model that ServiceNow has, being able to pull in all this data, right? Across all these different types of, , use cases. Organizing it as Michelle, like you said, the amdb, which I've never heard it referred to that way, but I love it. I'm going to probably use that going forward, right? Like the asset management database. and, you know, I haven't normalized in that across not just one country, right? Normalize that across higher operation, and then attacking workflows on that, you know, having the integrations, as you mentioned, Robert, like underlying all of that and driving the state models and the, um. Um, and keeping the data up to date, like all of that is what service now was born and bred for, right?
Duke: the, the, the, the customer experience too. Right? when we think about mobility, we just think about that one catalog item from 1912. You know, do you want your iPhone five and coal powered or wood pellet powered? And it's just like, it's just like the one device, but then you have, you think about all those services, Michelle mentioned and mind screw here. Like how would you even contend with a product catalog that size? Like when they're putting out new phones every quarter and it's just.
CJ: yeah, that's a good question, right? Like, how would you keep up, right? Because everything is BYOB now. And there are so many different types of phones out there. How would you support a one plus phone and an Apple iPhone and a pixel and a Samsung and a LG LG is gone now, right? Like, so how do you support a legacy LG phone? Right. Like, you know, you've got all of these, these different possibilities, right? Like it. But.
Michele: I mean, one of them has like a different policy and eligibility rules and things
Duke: Oh, eligibility. Like a whole other can of worms.
Michele: That's your favorite topic. I
Duke: Yeah.
Michele: I liked it. You're right. it's a, it's a service that I can tell you that enterprise is gladly outsourced to us, right. About managing the product catalog. Um, a lot of the product catalog is built from their current contracts that they have with the carriers and the service providers. And to your point, we build a very diverse product catalog for them that can contain all of these different device types, where they're coming from, what the price is, the features and things like that. And then we work with the clients to determine what the policies are. For retiring devices and then bringing a new ones. So we have some clients that, the day that, the iPhone 15 comes out, they want it to show up in their catalog. And that's the beauty of our, integration back to service. Now, it's a bit of a, marriage made in heaven. It's the best of both worlds because our scoped app, right. Our integration back to service now is nothing without the powerful engine of the SACON device platform. And they really work in conjunction together. So you can think about the SACON device platform. As working extremely hard on behalf of the enterprise, to create and manage this product catalog, , pull in all the data that you need and into our platform and then render, The really important data that's already cleansed and reconciled and that will fit into the service. Now, a data model, right? And, that enterprises once in service now for asset management, but then Rob, as you were mentioning, very important as well is the self service experience and having that accurate asset information, having the latest and greatest product catalog information about the latest devices or devices that have been retired. The eligibility rules, all of those different workflows from those library of transactions, having that all, in a nice, package with the bow on it and service now is exactly what these enterprises are looking for.
CJ: there's exactly what these enterprises are looking for. I was actually going to say something else, but I want to, I want to key in on that last part of that statement. Right? Because, what enterprises are often hit with is the question, on whether or not they should build it or buy it. And I think what SACON answers here is that, If you want scale, well, say what SACON answers is what scale can do for you, right? And why sometimes it's worth it to buy the thing instead of trying to build the thing on your own, right? But because SACON has so many different customers, right? By the service to so many different enterprises, you guys are doing all the hard work, all the lead work of keeping everything up to date, managing all of the interactions with the phone makers and the carriers and all of those things, right? Like your. Putting your folks to use to do that part of it, right? And scaling because you have so many different customers so that me as an enterprise, like admin, if I come to you and say, Hey, yeah, why don't you say con is plug and play, Like I didn't have to build those integrations. I didn't have to determine like, what phones I'm willing to actually support any of that stuff, right? Like I've got a ready built database that you guys are just providing as a service. This is what the cloud is about, right? Like this is what as a service. Scenes. I love
Michele: I mean, I gotta say, I like the enthusiasm. I mean, I think it's a no brainer. and I, you know, we have a lot of clients that agree with us and you're so right. I mean, it's basically. Choosing between out of the box API integration, out of the box workflows that, where you can automatically, you know, automate your ServiceNow workflows, out of the box, catalog items, out of the box product catalog, versus having to, you know, not just build all of that on your own in ServiceNow, but to your point, , then trying to somehow build those integrations to those, dozens and sometimes hundreds Of different, data sources, right? Or service providers, vendors, carriers. And also what I've learned too is, and you guys probably know, you know, better than me is that these service now developers are in high demand. Right? And so.
CJ: the
Michele: And so what I have found is that clients are delighted, When they, see that there's a out of the box solution that can still be customized to their environment. Absolutely. But that SACON actually does the work on, on behalf of them.
CJ: all of that, cause you're right. I mean, it is really hard to find a good, talented folks in the service dot ecosystem, right? Enough of them to build this especially right.
Michele: I found is that they have their ServiceNow developers, , very experienced. But they have a long list of projects, right? And the fact that they don't have to put this on their long list of projects, Is a perk for the enterprise.
CJ: yeah. And, and the fact that they don't have to inherit the maintenance of it too. Like we talked a lot about like you all building. At all, but you also maintain it over time, right? And, and look, if you're a techie, right? Like the last thing you want to do is actually maintain the stuff that you build, right? There's a whole problem with that in Google culture, right? Where folks build stuff and then, just to get the promotion and move away from, and that's why they closed so many, , shut down so many different products, right? It happens everywhere. everybody wants to chase the new and shiny and tech, right? So, you know, this. See.
Michele: it really makes everyone happy. Meaning, I think the office of the CIO, when they see the scoped app in action, and really being able to bring in data that can centralize their IT assets, when it brings in data and automates the workflows to allow them to provide their employees one place a seamless experience to be able to, manage everything it, including enterprise mobility, they feel like they're making the most out of their significant service. Now, investment and on the business side, They can leverage our SACON device platform to be able to. See a very complete end to end picture, Of their ecosystem, right? Of their end to end enterprise mobility, And that's really important to them, right? To understand not just the asset part, but the expenses.
CJ: Yes.
Michele: right. And, and, and to be able to optimize, all of the services that they're getting from all of their carriers and service providers.
CJ: And cyber security too, right? Like, I'm sure that's a big driver nowadays as well, because I remember, like I said, years ago, that that was 1 of the things that we were that would, metaphorically keep us up at night about, right? Let's say what happens if 1 of these folks who's the key to our, enterprise loses their phone, right? And this is before we had MDM and then even after, phones loss, if you get their Rolodex, so to speak, or their email box, you could do some serious damage to, to our business because it was largely a people business, Relationships hand to hand. And so that contact information was very valuable and. This ability, to manage that end to end, shut those things off, wipe them, know where they are, know how they relate to people, whether or not those people are still employed with you, whether they're, you know, off boarding with you anytime soon, all of those things, right. Being able to manage that without having to, build all of that out house. I think is a great selling point and driving feature.
Michele: Yeah, what drives the enterprise when it comes to devices is obviously it enables their employees to work, right? That's what that devices do nowadays, but they care about employee experience. And to your point, they also care about security and data security and compliance, especially in the healthcare industry, right? So that's definitely in the top 5 priorities for them. And then I am seeing again, as I mentioned before, this trend of also sustainability, And the impact on the environment.
CJ: Oh, I love that too. Absolutely. the 1 last thing I want to, touch on that I was thinking about as, with some of the points that you, mentioned is that in my opinion, SACON really replicates the ServiceNow business model, ? And the way the ServiceNow Has become successful and for the reasons that ServiceNow has become successful is why I see Saan being successful as well. Right? Like ServiceNow gives you a platform to do work, and it provides a lot of the stuff to you out of the box that you otherwise have to build, yourself. And then it maintains those things as well. . It abstracts all of that hard work outta your hands. And just gives you the ability to engage with it and get the service right and not have to actually wonder how is working under the hood. Seikan feels almost exactly like that to me.
Michele: That's a beautiful.
Duke: Right. Like, isn't it everything that you imagined that you could put on service now, when you got service now, 10, 15 years ago. We didn't imagine all these mobile, workflows. But we imagined every other workflow and it would just, it would, it would be a great experience requesting it. It would automate a ton of stuff. And then we'd have all the data that we needed to make business decisions off of it. So it's like, that's what I love. Yeah. That's what I love about it. It's just, it's everything that ServiceNow should do. But the only complication here is that You've got to do it amongst dozens or hundreds of entities, and you've got to bring it back in some kind of unified data model. And I'm sorry, you just can't build that on your own.
CJ: no, it goes back to the scale factor. Right
Duke: just like, yeah, exactly. Why not get it from somebody who's been doing it already for like 20 years?
CJ: now that I love this conversation, right? This conversation , there's so many jewels in it, right? Like if you're at home thinking about starting a company, right? Like starting a startup, there's so much here about like how. Product market fit scale, marketing, selling that back, you know, being useful, all of that stuff, right? Like you could just look, you could just listen to this conversation and find points about all of those things throughout the entire conversation. It's amazing.
Duke: if you have a couple more minutes, Michelle, I wonder if you could tell us in a nutshell what a SACON implementation looks like for a net new customer.
Michele: 1st of all, the audience probably has already figured out Is that the integration from service now back to our platform relies on, and it's dependent on the say, con device platform. So the implementation actually happens in parallel, right? So we're standing up that say, con device platform. On behalf of the enterprise, getting in all those data sources, building the, asset database, building the catalog, working with the client on all of those different requirements and business rules. And at the same time, we're installing the scoped application in their lower environment. We're getting it configured. We are customizing it according to, requirements. And, Because it's out of the box, And because the scoped app comes with, already built API integration workflows out of the box catalog items. They really don't have to start from scratch. And so our, our model and implementation strategy is to work with the client where , our SACON resources. do the install configuration of the scoped application and then package it and then work with their service now team to promote it to the higher environments and onto production.
Duke: Awesome. we're kind of at our limit for recording time here. So I want to thank you for joining us, Michelle. Any last words?
Michele: Well, 1st of all, it's been a real honor and pleasure. Thank you so much for having me. And I'll just say, I, think it was something that CJ had said about how SACON. Enable service now. And I really like, you know, sometimes you'll see a headline or tagline from us service now, plus SACON. I think what we do just, enables service now, and to me kind of makes their green just a little bit brighter. So thanks so much for having me.
CJ: I love that they're green a little bit brighter. I love that.
Duke: All right, folks, if you want to get in touch with Michelle at SACON, we are going to have links for that in the description below. Thank you so much for watching. We hope you're as excited as we are to introduce SACON to the ServiceNow ecosystem, and we will see you on the next one.