In this episode I speak to Medical Doctor, Dr. Yohann White about Sexual Health. He uses his background in immunology, as a practicing physician, and experience in his company Para Caribe Consulting to guide the conversation. We tackle general sexual health practices as well as those happening in Jamaica, common sexually transmitted infections (STIs), treatment options, the importance of open communication with your partner(s), physician and regular testing. We even talk about some of the lesser common things that you can contract through sexual activity.
- Educational background and his company Para Caribe Consulting/Medical Doctors.
- Where is Jamaica in regards to positive sexual health practices?
- Barriers to testing - Marginalization, fear, stigma, embarrassment, messages in music, population size etc.
- Age of sexual initiation in Jamaica
- Common STIs - Uncurable (HIV, Herpes) vs Curable (Syphilis, Gonorrhoea, Chlamydia etc.)
- Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) vs Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and availability in Jamaica.
- At-risk communities - Minorities, Same-Sex relationships e.g. MSM
- Could an STI be transmitted by a sex toy?
- How to approach the conversation, “You may have given me an STI.”
- Sexual Health Empowerment
- How often should one test themselves for STIs?
- The HIV Window Period
- Physician Sensitivity to Patients and open sexual conversation
National Family Planning Board (They have a mobile unit that does HIV testing in various communities. Call to find out where the bus is).
Jamaica AIDS Support For Life
AIDS Healthcare Foundation
What is Talk Truth with Mario Evon?
Medical Doctor, TV Host and Reggae-Soul Singer/Songwriter, Mario Evon, takes you on a uniquely Jamaican journey through a non-conservative, honest space created to allow his truth, and the truth of others to set them free to grow, laugh, learn and prosper.
From relationships, inspiration, sex and sexuality, to the ins and outs of entrepreneurship; In this space, we speak candidly about almost anything, with the intention to inspire, educate and entertain (‘Inspir-Edu-Tainment’), and create a fair and balanced space where your truth shall become your power. This is TALK TRUTH.