Playing board games is a great way to connect with old friends and make new ones. Listen to Melissa and Angelo share how to start a board game cafe, given the lessons they learned in building a successful group of coffee shops.
- Deep commitment to your business is essential. Don’t bother getting started if you’re not going to be all in
- Don’t need to reinvent the wheel in order to be successful. It’s ok to follow a successful model and execute it in your city
- Make up for your growing pains through good customer service
- Use complaints about a competitive product or service to find out how to launch a new product that’s better
- Layout the menu of food, drinks, etc, and of course, games
- Run numbers to understand revenue, and see if you have a profitable model
- Once you’ve decided on your offerings and revenue model, decide on the layout of the space
- Investigate competitors in your area: what are they doing well and where are opportunities for improvement?
- Play some board games! Find out which ones are suitable for this idea and create a curated list
- Find a suitable location - either high-traffic or a large space
- Here are some potential models to use, one or all three:
- Patrons come in with friends, grab a table and technology or a person facilitates your experience
- Create a consistent time, say 7pm every night that anyone, even solo gamers can come in and join a game
- Create smaller rooms to host customized gaming experiences for groups including the appropriate atmosphere, props, music, etc.
- Explore potential revenue models: e.g. cover charges, order minimums, group rate custom experiences.
- Join forces with, or buy out an existing coffee shop, bar or restaurant. You can start by hosting some game nights or tournaments for them.
What is Run With It - Business Ideas from Successful Entrepreneurs?
Successful CEOs have plenty of new business ideas. Aspiring entrepreneurs are in need of them. Run With It bridges this gap, bringing you business ideas and action steps from established entrepreneurs. Follow through and you can earn a free mentoring session with our guest, and potentially, a new business partnership.