Gav: The podcast on Haunted Hill will contain spoilers and swearing.
Intro: I am the devil, and I am here to do the devil's work. I saw this when I come. And be one of us. It is time to keep your appointment.
Gav: Hello, and welcome to the Podcast on Haunted Hill, Episode 177, My Name Is Gav. And I'm sitting here with...
Dan: Wowee, my name is... It sounded like I was in the middle of something.
Gav: Oh, what could it be in the middle of? Cooking something, you're like, oh, that egg's gonna spill out the pan.
Dan: I was thinking more sexual. That's what I thought.
Gav: Well, that's what I meant by that. Eggs gonna spill out of the pan.
Dan: Hello, welcome.
Gav: That's a bedroom move, isn't it? The egg spiller.
Dan: Well, talking of bedroom moves, this is a special episode.
Gav: Yep.
Dan: This is episode 177, The Double Bacon Sandwich. I like to call it that.
Gav: If you listeners hadn't noticed from previous episodes, Dan likes Kevin. It should be a name, when Dan met Kevin.
Dan: Kevin Bacon is a bit of a legend. He's quite a versatile actor. We've covered a couple of his movies. We covered Hollow Man.
Gav: Is this all building up in a big round circle, coming back round to why you have this thing with Kevin Bacon?
Dan: Not really. It's just because I mentioned his giant package.
Gav: Like, hang on here, Kevin Bacon. No, I know.
Dan: I'm going to, I'm fully embracing it.
Gav: It's not just me. Okay, go for it.
Dan: I fully embrace his big giant package. No, in Friday the 13th, when we, all those years back when we covered it, it was, it was noticed by both of us, but I probably talked about it quite a lot more, that he was packing a lot in his swim trunks.
Gav: Bacon pork.
Dan: And he does like to get his dog out in quite a few movies, but he's a versatile actor.
Gav: Oh, he did in the Invisible One, didn't he? We covered it.
Dan: Yeah, Hollow Man, but also he did it in, we briefly see it in Wild Things as well when he's in the shower.
Gav: I don't know this stuff. Like, how do you, do you know all the mood, all the mood, new article on da da da da da da da. Dan Bone writes about Kevin Bacon and all the films you can see. Here's Peanuts.
Dan: It's called Kevin's Bacon.
Gav: Kevin's Pork, Porker.
Dan: So we are covering to Kevin, we thought, you know, let's, let's do him justice.
Gav: Hang on, so is that only two movies his dick's out hanging free?
Dan: There's probably a couple more. I'm sure he's been there. He's also played quite a lot of paedophiles as well, but he's also played a lot of paedophiles weirdly as well. He's played like three paedophiles.
Gav: Oh yeah, he used to play, was he a bit?
Dan: He was Mystic, not Mystic River.
Gav: Yeah, Mystic River is the movie.
Dan: He was the woodsman, he was a paedophile. Who moved, whose house got moved next door to a school.
Gav: You do get him every once in a while. Do you remember Patrick Swayze, obviously, he hadn't had many films in a while, and all of a sudden he just pops up in Donnie Darko as a paedophile.
Dan: And then Kevin Bacon was also a paedophile in, what's that, Sleepers?
Gav: See, there's a thing of acting. Obviously, there's two types of acting. There's the acting where it's just like, I'm eating a biscuit, my name's Gav, and now I am someone else or whatever. And then there's the, I am all the time this person, and that sort of thing. How do you do that if you're being a paedophile? I guess you don't take those roles if you have to act that way.
Dan: You can't really go meta with that one, can you?
Gav: Really? Because you're not taking that home with you, like, oh, to go home and get on the old fucking computer, you know.
Dan: Oh, Jesus, Kevin. Banging on Kevin's door. He's like, whoa, whoa, whoa, I'm researching a role.
Gav: That must be, to do that, you can't actually, I've never even thought about that, to do that, you can't, definitely can't envision that side of your character you're trying to play. There's no way you can envision that bit.
Dan: You might, you might do if it helps you with the performance, but.
Gav: Yeah, but you're assured that your soul's going to come through with disgust and not be able to do the performance correctly.
Dan: I guess, I guess there's a reason he took those roles in that it's a flawed character who's trying to find redemption.
Gav: In that situation where your character's like a fucking horrible, you must have to just go, okay, we're just going to have to bypass that. I will play that character, but on the edge, just bypass the core subject.
Dan: Actors always say the most fun is playing a baddie, but I guess there's like, I'd like to play baddies by the way.
Gav: Yeah, but that's like, give me your money, come on. Or like, I'm going to do Bank Heist or some shit. It's not going to be like, let's go down to the underground and film children, you know.
Dan: Wow. Well, we are covering, talking of underground, we'll be covering Tremors from 1990.
Gav: From Peter Filia to a Kevin Bacon movie of this evening.
Dan: So we're looking at one from the beginning of the 90s, Tremors, and 1999 movie about a ghost, a child and visions. No, it's not The Sixth Sense. It's the other one that came out that year.
Gav: And yeah, we're really very similar in respect in some ways.
Dan: But I think it's got more in common with the Changeling or the Shining.
Gav: But now it's quite funny at the time then that would have definitely been a thing. But now, like, because it's so long past, you don't really put the films together. So you can't go, oh, it's going to like it, but you don't think there's around the same time.
Dan: Every couple of years, you get these movie twins, don't you, where you get like Armageddon and Deep Impact or whatever it is that comes out from time. And it happened this year. We'll get into that. We'll talk about 1999 anyway, because for me, that's quite a special year in the cinema and a lot happened. So we'll talk about that. But yeah, Tremors 1990, Stir Of Echoes 1999, probably Kevin's two biggest sort of horror movies, really, like Hollow Man, Friday the 13th. They're not really, he was only a little bit in Friday the 13th. And Hollow Man, probably not as horror, although we have covered it. So that's what we're going to be chatting about, two very fun films, quite short and snappy as well, which are nice. Always like a 90 minute runtime, as you do, Gav, as well. Well, talking to movies and going to the movies, there's a new movie out at the cinema that people are going to see, all about death, killing you and chasing you. I'm talking about the new final destination movie, Bloodlines, currently on point to be the highest grossing movie from a franchise, which is crazy. It's doing really well. Knocked the Thunderbolts off the top spot, which is the new Marvel film. I went to see it. Absolutely loved it. Best Marvel film in about five years. I wouldn't bore everybody with my thoughts on it, but it's got Kurt Russell's son in it. Wyatt Russell, he's brilliant in it. It's got Bill Pullman's son in it, Lewis Pullman, and he's brilliant. Those two are really challenging their dads. And in fact, Wyatt Russell, who got a huge mind crush on him at the moment, and I love him and everything from Black Mirror and it to everything he's done using that zombie Nazi one as well, Overlord. He is in the new Spielberg movie coming out, which is a secret movie Spielberg's making about UFOs and the productions which coming out next summer.
Gav: Yeah, I did hear something like that.
Dan: But let me rewind that tangent now. Sorry about that. So Final Destination Bloodlines. Well, there's 1D, 2D, there's 3D movies. We've sat in a 4D fucking showing of Ghostbusters, that shitty Ghostbusters movie with the moving chairs. But apparently, in Brazil, sorry, in Argentina, they take it to the next level because they were sat there in the cinema watching Final Destination Bloodlines, Gav, weren't they? And what happened?
Gav: Yeah. Well, I haven't read into it, but the roof collapsed. I don't know more than that, really.
Dan: Yeah. The roof collapsed down.
Gav: Did they go like, this is the shittest promotional like from the film studio possibly for this film?
Dan: Luckily, only one person was hurt and she returned to work after a week. But even so, I'd want, I'd probably want at least an annual pass to that cinema as compensation. Fuck yeah.
Gav: And how weird that would be, watching Final Destination. At one point, I'd be like, wow, this movie feels so realistic. I wonder what was being viewed at the time, though.
Dan: It was probably just a boring scene. It probably wasn't like, if it had been like something collapsing. Imagine if it was a construction site.
Gav: And you're watching like her thing happen. I haven't watched that much. I did actually watch part three the other day. My middle child wanted to check it out, so we watched it. Because obviously new one's out. Sarah went to see the new one. She said it's pretty good. I will try and get to cinema to watch it.
Dan: I probably won't, but I will definitely be watching it. My time is limited at the moment. I have an annual cinema pass, but I've heard it's really good. I've heard Tony Todd rewrote his own line in it because he knew he didn't have much time left. So the line he delivers will make you have a tear in your eye when he says it. And apparently he looks very ill as well.
Gav: Bless him.
Dan: But Tony Todd, rest in peace. What a legend. We've talked about that before.
Gav: It's good that he still was like, yeah, I'll do it.
Dan: Yeah. Well, I went to them. Like I said, I watched Thunderbolts. Really enjoyed that. I also little tangent about my children, because, you know, I'm a dad, if I haven't already mentioned it, twins. So I'm trying to introduce them to films as they're turning four in a week.
Gav: Imagine if you were actually the father of Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenegger, but when they were little.
Dan: Imagine that one is massive. Oh, daddy, I need some milk.
Gav: Oh, daddy, let me suck on your teeth.
Dan: The other one's like, can I have an egg? Yeah, so I've been trying to get my kids into not trying to just show in them films. So I sat them down a couple of weeks ago and said like, since they know about Star Wars and Stormtroopers and things like that. So we watched 1977 Star Wars, which I used to just call Star Wars. I don't call it New Hope, but some people call it New Hope. They loved it. We watched it probably three or four times in parts over the course of two weeks. They really enjoyed it. Their take away from it was Chewbacca looks like me, apparently. They really like the wizard, Ben Kenobi. They called him the wizard. Oh, I love the kind wizard, daddy.
Gav: I'm going to call him a wizard from now on.
Dan: They really don't like C-3PO. They said he's too silly. I don't know why they just said he's too silly.
Gav: Yeah, they just don't know to articulate the correct word for him. He's just a bit shit, really. That's not silly. He's just a bit shit. But that's them saying he's a bit shit.
Dan: What else did they like? They like the spaceships, the aliens. They loved all that kind of stuff. So that was cool. So I felt really good about what happened.
Gav: I thought Empire Strikes Back is going to give them a bit of a shock.
Dan: I skipped that. I skipped that one for the moment. But I put on Return Of The Jedi this week and we watched the little bits of it. And this morning, before nursery, me and Jack finished watching it, the last sort of half an hour of it. And he had such a lovely moment. He looked at me and he went... As Darth Vader's face was revealed and he said, Daddy, why has he got boo-boos on his head? And I said, oh, he's, you know, that's what he looks like under his mask. And he said, is he someone's daddy then? He understood. And I said, yeah, he's Luke's dad. He was like, but why were they fighting? And I said, they didn't know, he didn't know that that was his dad for a long time. And his dad was very naughty. And he said, he went all quiet. And he looked down and then he looked at him and he said, daddy, I will never fight you with a laser sword.
Gav: Oh.
Dan: And I said, oh, thanks, Jack. And he said, and I won't throw you into the sand with the big mouth in it either. I was like, brilliant. Thanks, Jack. It's good to know, good to know that your son won't throw you in the sarlacc pit.
Gav: It is good to know.
Dan: Yeah. So that was cool. And the last thing really about that, I have been to the cinema another time and that was because we're doing a thing at the moment where we're, our kids are starting school this year and they're in separate classes. So we're trying to get them used to not being glued to each other. So every weekend we alternate them and I take one of them and my wife takes the other one and we have a whole day with them. So last Sunday was me and Jack and I took him bowling. We really wanted to go bowling, right? Let's go bowling nine o'clock in the morning. We're the only fucking people in there bowling away. And then I noticed that the cinema next door had a showing of The Princess Bride, really randomly showing The Princess Bride. It wasn't like an anniversary or anything like that. They just showed it at 10 o'clock. So I went and bought tickets and me and Jack went to watch The Princess Bride and as our listeners will know, it's my favorite film of all time. Also one of Jack's favorite films and Edith B. She wasn't there. And so I got to watch that on the big screen with my son and that was fucking brilliant. I went to town. I spent about 25 pounds on popcorn sweets. I just gave him all the sugar. I was like, just sit and watch this with me. He was like, why are we watching it on the big screen, not on the TV? And I was like, exactly, Jack, exactly.
Gav: Why?
Dan: This is brilliant. So that was a really, really special moment. So I'm really enjoying now that they've always been into films.
Gav: Does he have to have one of those little cinema suites, the plastic ones?
Dan: No, he actually sits on my lap, but my local showcase has got recliners. So he sits on my lap, then I put the legs up and then we just chill with a big giant popcorn and sweets. And it was brilliant. It's better than watching the shit I normally go and watch with them, like Louis the movie or Peppa Pig, the movie or whatever, it's so much better. I took them to watch Thomas The Tank Engine. It was just three episodes of Thomas sewn together. It's like, this isn't a film. This is just really badly edited three episodes of, you know.
Gav: I'd love to see you just sitting there, just fucking, this is not a film. This is not cinema.
Dan: Well, I came out of it and I said to my wife, we've just watched fucking Bluey, an hour and ten minutes of Bluey on the big screen. I've got it on Disney Plus. I've got all six seasons of it on Disney Plus, not three, but for ten quid a month home.
Gav: But did your children enjoy the experience?
Dan: Yeah, they did. Yeah.
Gav: That's the idea. So that's cool.
Dan: Don't tell me I'm a parent.
Gav: I'm not telling you a parent. I'm just saying how it is because I've been there myself.
Dan: I know, but it's still.
Gav: I know our own opinions. We're like, well, this is, we cannot listen, not for me, but like this sound TV, let me put my sound back. No, just put it back to as it was. It sounds shit though. That's, you know, it is, but does it make you happy? Yeah.
Dan: Yeah. And I was happy, so.
Gav: Okay. That's all good. So that was that. I haven't been watching that much really. I did yesterday, we did some filming. I was with Ben for a short film, they're telling this really fantastic film he's been making for quite a while now actually. And we did some insert shots and we spent it so, yesterday. One shot was, it took, I think, four hours to set it up, I reckon. And it took ages for Ben prepping it for a long time, because it was an actual clown's head with an Xbox controller, controlling the movements of the whole clown head, like the face, the teeth, everything like that. It took four hours for us to set it up for a two and a half second shot. That was fun.
Dan: I can remember when we shot Sanctuary Moon, how long it took to set up the thermal decinator.
Gav: Oh, yeah, exactly.
Dan: For literally like a three second shot, it took us hours of prepping and smoke and getting the buttons to flash in the right order, putting it together.
Gav: It just takes so long, because it's your props and things. And this took so long, because it was an actual animatronic with loads of smoke all around it, with blood pouring off its face, going, ah! And it would be called as fuck. It's just, yeah, outside as well. It's not cold. It's windy as shit, though. And then we spent like six hours shooting this other little bit, but I ended up being a puppeteer out of the back, being blind, though, because I couldn't see what I was doing. Don't move the rod like that. I'm not moving the rod like that. I was like, fucking hell, this is shit.
Dan: Blind puppeteer.
Gav: Yeah, but that's what I was doing yesterday. So I'm not watching films, but I was involved with films.
Dan: Well, there's only one other one I wanted to talk about because I got it as an offer on Prime.
Gav: I did watch one, I'll tell you about offers. No, you go for yours, but I did remember.
Dan: Talking of Lewis Pullman, Bill Pullman's son, he's in the one I watched. He seems to be, you know, when you know it's an actor and then they're like in everything. And he was in the film I watched, which was the remake of Salem's Lot, which was originally shot in 2021, supposed to come out in 2022. And then Warner Brothers decided they were going to scrap it and bin it like they did with that background movie that's shot. They spent millions of dollars on it, and it's never going to see the light of day, which is nuts. But eventually, Salem's Lot got released by Max last year. And I got it from...
Gav: Avengers and that same thing now, the one with Peter Dinklage, it's been shelved. And I think because they obviously recoup money, it's easier to not release it. They pay a lot of money in advertising and marketing, and they have to do that. And if they don't, they won't pay that. Well, yeah.
Dan: Streaming will save some of these films that might have just been shelved.
Gav: Yeah, they will. All of a sudden you'll be like, oh, what the fuck's that on there?
Dan: And that's what happened with me really, because our buddy RJ McCready watched it, and he said he really enjoyed it. So it was one on my list to watch. The original Salem's Lot, we've covered it a long time ago. It's fucking up there, you know, Cinema Trauma as a kid, great movie, Toby Hooper. But I went into it skeptically. It was 99p rental special offer on Prime. So I did it. I really, really, really enjoyed it. I was quite shocked at how enjoyable it was. It doesn't really feel like they're trying to outdo the original.
Gav: How long?
Dan: How long is it? It's an hour and 50.
Gav: Oh, OK. Because obviously the original was a show. So, you know. Yeah.
Dan: Yeah. So it's like four hours.
Gav: And Stephen King material. Sometimes you have to do that a little.
Dan: Well, this felt that because this is set in 1975, it felt very Stephen King. Gary Doberman, the director, gets Stephen King and the kids. You see the kids and you're like, oh, they're Stephen King kids. You know what they look like. You know who they are. It's got the bullying in it and all the stuff that Stephen King kids get, but the vampires are great in it. The director said, I want to make vampires scary again. So they're kind of like the vampires, almost vampires from 30 Days Of Night.
Gav: I'm going to rent it this weekend and watch it with Charlie and Daisy.
Dan: Honestly, going to it with an open mind, the ending, especially, I was like, I've never seen... It was very original, the ending. Great characters, really funny and well written and some good nods to the Monster Squad and Lost Boys Fright. Very Fright Night, really felt Fright Night. Because it was set in 1975.
Gav: Well, you sold it to me.
Dan: Yeah, really good, though, for anybody who hasn't seen it, it saved him a lot from 2024, though you might say 2022 or 21, because it was made a long time ago, weirdly, but really good. And it's got Lewis Pullman in it, Bill Pullman's son. And honestly, there's times where it's from certain angles where you're just like, Jesus, you're just your dad, aren't you? It's crazy. But yeah, that was the only other one I wanted to mention. But you've remembered it, you've watched something.
Gav: Yeah, I did. Well, Sarah came over. We watched a couple of bits of Boss. But one thing I was going to mention, it's quite enjoyable. We watched Scarecrows, remember?
Dan: Oh, yeah.
Gav: Yeah. The hoist movie in the farmhouse, the Scarecrows.
Dan: Is that the one where they jump out of a plane and then they?
Gav: Yeah, yeah.
Dan: That was our second ever episode.
Gav: I said that we've done that. Sarah said, don't think so. She said, maybe did not with the Scarecrows. Oh, yeah. Maybe it was not the Scarecrows.
Dan: No. For some random reason, you chose Scarecrows. And that was, yeah, they jump out of a plane, they land in a farm and then they don't realize that there's killer Scarecrows in the farm. Yeah.
Gav: Yeah. One of their guys nicks their money. And so they're after that person and they've got kidnapped a family and they land the airplane in the cornfields and go to the house. But yeah, the Scarecrows often.
Dan: It's decent.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: So hold up. All right.
Gav: Yeah, it's all right. I feel like it's it's a movie but could excuse me. I feel like it's a movie could definitely warrant a remake now and be really fucking pretty decent.
Dan: Yeah, you do. You do catch these movies sometimes from that's pretty underrated.
Gav: You know, I don't know where that's playing.
Dan: I'm sure you could find it fairly easily, but I think it's on YouTube, I think. Okay, yeah, it was at one point anyway. Yeah, I'll ask you. So I might check out again at some point.
Gav: It was in that big stack of DVDs I got off that geezer.
Dan: Oh, yeah.
Gav: Anyway, anyway.
Dan: Well, yeah, let's do this. Before we get into our first movie, then let's have a quick chat about Mr. Bacon. That's who we're here for. Really, not a lot to say about his life, really. Like, not to dismiss his life, but just more about the movies he's been in really.
Gav: It's all about his package with Dan. That's it.
Dan: He's been in, you know, comedies, action, superhero, horror.
Gav: Very, very diversifying actor.
Dan: He's very much Nicholas Cage in some ways, although Nicholas lately is more into his horror. But so let's let's have a quick chat then. So started off 1978 in Animal House, had a small role in that. I'm only going to mention the sort of more notable ones. He did a couple of movies then in 1980. People noticed him for a few reasons. Exactly. We spotted his package in Friday the 13th, the original one. So always brilliant when an actor starts out in a horror movie, you know, Jennifer Aniston and Epicorn, whatever it might be. Yeah. I love it when they start out in it. And he's never dissed it. You know, he's never sort of said. In fact, Tremors was the one movie that he did this initially. Now he's really he's he's embracing. Oh, yeah. He had a breakdown after Tremors. He said to his wife, like, I cannot believe I've just finished and wrapped a film about giant worms in the desert. This is going to ruin my career. And actually did quite well in his cult following.
Gav: Yeah. Had a breakdown about like, you've still got a gig and you're an actor doing stuff. You're having a breakdown because that's a bit fucking pathetic.
Dan: He still made thousands of dollars.
Gav: Like, sort it the fuck out, Bacon.
Dan: Hey, come on, don't diss him too much. He did a couple more movies and then his breakthrough was arguably in 1984's But Loose, But Loose, But Loose, Bada bada bada bada bada. The time got that band music and dance and he walked through it and danced all the time. Have you not? It's decent, it's decent.
Gav: I'm not going to watch it. It's not going to happen.
Dan: It's quintessentially 80s, quintessentially Kevin Bacon. He did a couple more bits and bobs. He showed up in People Often Forget. He shows up as a very brief cameo in Planes, Trains and Automobiles at the beginning.
Gav: Racing for a taxi.
Dan: Yeah. Then 1990, he made Tremors, which, as I say, and the same year.
Gav: What else was he doing which made him so special? I'm fucking on getting on it. You carry on.
Dan: He was doing a lot of sort of he was a pretty boy, so he was doing a lot of sort of rom-com stuff, family comedies and thrillers, some sort of legal dramas as well. The same year that Tremors came out though, he really made it with Flatliners. That was the movie everyone was talking about in 1990. It was an ensemble cast. That was the one where he was kind of in that frat pack, brat pack almost at that point. He also showed up the next year in JFK, which was an Oscar winning film and everyone was raving about his performance and that. And then he just kept on making hits really. He's never been like a, he is a lead man, but he's never been fully acknowledged as that. Cause the following year he was in a few good men, but people will really, really remember Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson in that one. People are like, oh yeah, Kevin Bacon was in that too. He was, he was in that as well, cause he can handle the truth. And then a couple of years later, he was in Apollo 13, another Oscar winning film. But unfortunately, Tom Hanks swept the board that year, you know, even though he was, he was in it. Tom Hanks was the actor in the everyone talks about from that movie. The following year, he made Sleepers, which we talked about in the intro a little bit, where he played a pedophile sort of security guard of a children's orphanage and the guests has come up and-
Gav: Sleepers?
Dan: Yeah. Really great movie, really dark, really dark.
Gav: Just to say what he was doing made him feel so bad about doing chermas just before that is he did the big picture. That movie, remember that classic? Remember that? No, I don't.
Dan: Oh yeah.
Gav: Brilliant. And then Criminal Law, remember that classic one? Criminal Law.
Dan: What a great name for a film.
Gav: And Lemon Sky. Look, Lemon Sky, that classic, Lemon Sky.
Dan: Is that the prequel to Vanilla Sky?
Gav: I don't know. So like, it's not, you know. Yeah.
Dan: Well, this is it. He's always been on the edge of smashing it. And I think he, you know, he's over the years, he's become a cult actor.
Gav: Yeah. And Tremors definitely helped him embrace that, that's for sure.
Dan: Yeah. He then was in Wild Things, which everyone was talking about in 98 when it came out, because that was because of sexiness, wasn't it? All the sexiness in it. But then he got his dung out in the shower. But after that, he did Stir Of Echoes, Hollow Man in 2000.
Gav: Did you happen to see that movie in the cinema with his dung out?
Dan: I did, actually. Yeah, I was in the front row.
Gav: Did you know it was going to happen or was it a surprise?
Dan: No, it was a lovely surprise. It was just as I was slurping on my vanilla milkshake. Oh, hello, Kevin. 2003, another big hit was the one you mentioned, The Mystic River with the Eastwood movie, which is a great movie.
Gav: Yeah, I've only seen it once, but after I watched it again, it was pretty good.
Dan: It's really good, again, an ensemble cast, really, I think Sean Penn's in that as well. A lot of people, yeah. 2004, he played Peter Fowl in The Woodsman, which is a great movie, but I probably wouldn't want to watch it again. It's like very dark, obviously.
Gav: I generally, you know, since I have children, generally don't go towards these films so much.
Dan: Fair enough, fair enough. He had minor hits here and there for the next few years. He didn't, he kind of almost vanished. He was showing up very small roles. And then randomly in 2011, Matthew Vaughan made X-Men for his class and he played the baddie in it, a bad mutant in it.
Gav: Okay.
Dan: Yeah, so that was random. That was great to see as well. He also then showed up as a bad guy in another comic book movie with Ryan Reynolds called RIPD., which is like Men In Black Meets Ghostbusters. It's really shit. I don't know if you've seen it.
Gav: I know of it, but I didn't watch it.
Dan: Really bad. Then he did a great movie called Cop Car.
Gav: I've seen Cop Car. That's quite good. Where he's a fucking crazed sheriff.
Dan: Yeah, some kids nick his car and he goes absolutely turbo on them. He also was in Black Mass with that movie with Johnny Depp about the real life gangsters in America. Then, moving forward, he's not really done an awful lot. Randomly showed up in Maxime, randomly showed up in Beverly Hills Cop Axel F, which I really enjoyed.
Gav: I enjoyed that film, yeah.
Dan: Yeah, and apparently, weirdly that you mentioned it, he is in The Toxic Avenger, which is supposed to be coming out at some point. Randomly, he's in that as well.
Gav: Okay.
Dan: So yeah, he's also done a shitload of television in the last 10, 15 years and some voiceover work, and was in The Guardians Of The Galaxy's Holiday Christmas Special as himself. I don't know if you've seen it, but it's very funny. Star-Lord, Chris Pratt's character is obsessed with the 80s, and his favorite actor of all time is Kevin Bacon. So for Christmas, Drax, Dave Bautista, and Mantis come to Earth, and kidnap Kevin Bacon, and they take him back to Star-Lord on their planet. And he's like, why have you done this? And I'm like, well, it was the one thing that would make you happy. You've been a very sad human man, and we thought Kevin Bacon would make you happy. Kevin Bacon is like, why the hell am I here on this planet? What's going on? It's really funny. He just plays himself.
Gav: I have seen it.
Dan: Yeah, it's really decent.
Gav: Have you seen Dave Bautista now?
Dan: Yes, very thin. He's become a vegan.
Gav: Yeah, well, I presume he stopped taking steroids.
Dan: He stopped taking steroids. He stopped working out as much, but he's become a vegan as well. So he's incredibly thin.
Gav: Yeah, but you can still be all right.
Dan: But he's not taken on the protein like he used to.
Gav: I guess, but he's a dramatically different size, though.
Dan: Anyway, I'll tell you who, Random Tangent. I don't know his actual real name, but the guy from My Name Is Earl, the bigger fella. He is, oh, he was in Mole Rats as well.
Gav: Scientologist, it is.
Dan: It's a sailboat. He is got ripped.
Gav: Ethan Serpley.
Dan: That's it. He's fucking ripped to the tits, that guy. Would not have said they were the same person.
Gav: He was in that movie, that quite fun film, The Hunt.
Dan: Was he in that?
Gav: Yeah, he's on a train with the lady. Oh, wow. He's on a train. They meet at a train when they get off somewhere in Europe, where he thinks she is. She thinks she doesn't know where she is. Do you remember that bit? And he's there as well as the other American. Oh, no, they did. They met beforehand and then jumped on a train.
Dan: That's right. Okay.
Gav: Yeah. Good movie.
Dan: Well, anyway, that's Kevin Bacon.
Gav: Should we get into a trailer for Tremors?
Dan: In a nutshell, let's have a little Tremory trailer.
Tremors Trailer: Perfection, a scorched outpost in the middle of nowhere. You know how close I am to leaving this place right now? How close? Maybe that's why Val and Earl Get off! decided to leave town. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Hey, hold up. That's Edgar Deen's. They just picked the wrong day to do it. You guys better get the hell out of here. There's a killer on the loose. Who could be doing it? Is that a snake? I'll give you boys $5 for this. That's how they get you. They're under the ground. What the hell are those things? How could they eat a whole station wagon? But where do they come from? I vote for outer space. No way these are local boys. You see, they're hated by the forest. No Richter scale can measure it. They're coming. No scientist can explain it. Bert, they're under the ground. You didn't get penetration even with the elephant gun. Run, run! And no one knows what to call it. Megaworms or suckers or... or suckoids. Now, this valley is just one long smorgasbord. Now, it's up to Val and Earl to save the world. That's one big mother. Who died and made you Einstein? And they know just what to do. Flip for it. Damn. Kevin Bacon, Fred Ward, Tremors.
Gav: Tremors from 1990, rated 15, hour and thirty six minutes. Natives of a small, isolated town to find themselves against strange underground creatures, which are killing them one by one. Nice and tidy, that.
Dan: Yeah, good movie. Yeah, yeah. This was discovered by my mum and dad. It was on TV at some point and they recorded it. And it kind of fell into the same category as Arachnophobia, that kind of movie. My family were kind of obsessed with this for a while, and it's still a family favorite amongst my my siblings. It's a fun creature feature, isn't it? It doesn't take itself too seriously. It's quite comedy as well, which is good. It's probably more comedy than than Arachnophobia. Actually, Arachnophobia is a little bit more scary at times, but also really leans into that sort of B-movie. It came from the desert, that paranoia of what's underneath the ground, giant gamma-radiated creatures. Look, have practical effects, because it was 1990.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, it's practical effects are really good, aren't they?
Dan: Yeah, really good. Some of the most expensive things in it were the practical effects, actually. Before we really dive into it, this film has spawned an incredible amount of sequels and a TV show. So I thought I'd very quickly mention those before we circle back around and talk about the one that started it all, because I think Kevin's only in the first one. So obviously Tremors from 1990. Six years later, we got Tremors Aftershocks, which is where they can fly, if I remember rightly. Tremors 3, Back To Perfection came out in 2001. Tremors 4, The Legend Begins, which is a prequel set years and years and years ago, back in the sort of cowboy days. That came out in 2004. Yeah, I've seen that one too. Tremors 5, Bloodlines. I think that's the one set in South Africa. That came out in 2015.
Gav: Yeah, I saw one of the later ones, which wasn't too bad actually, in the 2020s.
Dan: That was the last one I saw, 2015, because there's been two more since then. Tremors A Cold Day In Hell, which is set in the ice. That was 2018.
Gav: All right, and what's the other one?
Dan: The last one is Shrieker Island. Tremors Shrieker Island, which is 2020. Was that all right, was it?
Gav: Yeah, it was okay.
Dan: Ah, interesting.
Gav: I think it's even got, pretty sure it's got Fimi Chiggini in it, who?
Dan: Burt Gummer is in every single one of them.
Gav: No, who I interviewed on here. Um, well, not on here at Friday Fest. Richard Brake.
Dan: Oh, okay.
Gav: Pretty sure Richard Brake's there, actually. It wasn't too bad, if I remember. Yeah.
Dan: If I remember rightly, Michael Gross is in every single one of them. He's the guy that plays Burt Gummer, the guy who loves his gums.
Gav: He got a good lottery ticket there, didn't he?
Dan: He did, he did. And there was also a TV show, which came out in the early 2000s. Only 13 episodes, which I watched. It was fun, it was a sci-fi channel show, but it got cancelled after 13 episodes. And they couldn't, to be honest with you, it was just like, why am I watching this? It was just something to watch. It was 13 episodes long, nothing really going on with it. It was all right, but they had a TV show. So for a movie that Kevin Bacon had a bit of a breakdown about and all that kind of stuff, kind of spawned a huge franchise. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's still more coming, you know, down the pipeline. Burt Gummer still needs to pay his mortgage. So, you know, keep making them for us. But I haven't seen the last two and I'm not going to rush to see them. My dad has the box. He's very proudly told me a couple of years ago, I've got the box set with all seven Tremors films. I'm like, all right, that's great. So yeah, I'm going to have a Tremors marathon this weekend. All right, that's great. Good for you. Bless you.
Gav: That's so cool, though, that your dad's so into films that much.
Dan: He loves Burt Gummer so, so much.
Gav: Does he see himself almost like, do you know what I mean?
Dan: I think he does, but also I was chatting to my buddy, RJ about Burt Gummer and he said to him and what's his character name in the burbs? I can't remember his character name with all the guns in the burbs.
Gav: Yeah, I can't even now.
Dan: Whatever his name is. They're very similar and RJ is right, they are the two guys obsessed with guns, ready for anything and when the shit hits the fan, they're like really excited.
Gav: First thing they can do is shoot guns. Yeah. It's not a good way to be, but yeah.
Dan: No, it's not. But yeah, Tremors, what was your, do you remember the first time you saw it was it?
Gav: No, I reckon it was around a friend's house probably and I think it's probably like TV on a Saturday night thing. I don't remember getting it out from video store or nothing. I think. Yeah.
Dan: Yeah, we never, was it 1990?
Gav: I was 13.
Dan: We never rented it, but we'd recorded it from TV.
Gav: Yeah, I think I saw it at some point. It might have got out from video store, don't I? I can't remember really. I kind of never owned it and I kind of just wear with it. I don't know why. It is quite a fun film. Yeah, and I happily don't mind watching it and reviewing it, it's quite happy to re-watch it. But it never was something which would have entered my collection. Don't know why. Didn't seek for it or nothing.
Dan: Yeah, I've got it on VHS. Never really upgraded from there, but I was happy to watch it again. It was fun to dig out VHS. Interestingly, when the film was made, it was R-rated initially, the first cut they had of it, contained lots and lots and lots and lots of F-bombs. Oh, okay. So a lot of the time, they only kept one F-bomb in the final version.
Gav: You're allowed to have one F-bomb. Nowadays, I think you're allowed to have one F-bomb in a 12A, I think.
Dan: Yeah, you are. I think that's the UK's cinema. Yeah. This was rated PG-13 in America.
Gav: The Board of Film Class goes to America. They don't like swearing. I don't know why.
Dan: So Kevin Bacon and some of the other actors had to redub their lines. So you hear them say things like mothers, but that would have been motherfuckers, and these suckers are ugly, but that would have been these fuckers are ugly. So it's really strange and I didn't know that. Watching it this time, having read all that, I'm now thinking, oh yeah, shit, I can tell in a way that-
Gav: I'm glad I didn't because that would have been a spoiler for me.
Dan: But it didn't need it. It makes it more of a family-friendly film, like A Rat To Furby Age.
Gav: Yeah, I showed it to Elijah one time and he quite enjoyed it.
Dan: Yeah. It's got a great cast. It's got Kevin Bacon, it's got Fred Ward, Rest In Peace, who plays Earl, Michael Gross, who we've talked about, plays Burt Gummer. Randomly, it's got Reba McIntyre in it, who's a country and western singer, and the director didn't want her in it. He said, I don't want to put a bloody singer in my film because it would be a gimmick.
Gav: Oh, Michael's wife, right.
Dan: But she was all right in it, actually.
Gav: Burt's wife, not Michael's wife. That's right. That's the actual actor.
Dan: But for me, the actor in it other than Kevin Bacon that I absolutely love to see is Victor Wong, who plays Walter.
Gav: Yeah, of course. It's great having him.
Dan: Yeah, we love him. John Carpenter, alumni. He's been in some great movies and he's a great character actor. And he's really funny in it. And he gets to reenact a bit of a Jaws moment, really, when he meets his end, as he's swallowed up. But yeah, all in all, it's fun.
Gav: It's a pretty fun, accessible film, really. You know, I can, it's quite funny. I've been a sort of blue collar person as I am, worker.
Dan: I've never been in it. I knew you'd go down this tangent with this film, go on.
Gav: Yeah, because I always can relate to guys like this, because this is, it's not, I do do the odd shit that sometimes be a way up to this week. Well, I'm doing this and I'm doing that. And I'm doing this, I'm running a random shit, because I could do lots of different things. So I totally relate to these two guys. I could be a third one there, just doing it as well, just going around, getting some jobs, trying to get you. Do you want that? Oh, I could do that for you. You know.
Dan: Yeah. Well, they live in in a place called Perfection, and it's got a population of 14. So it's a really tiny town.
Gav: Why do you want to even be there? That's crazy.
Dan: It's fucking going on there. And everybody obviously knows everybody. And you've got these two guys, Kevin Bacon and Red Ward's Catchers, Val and Earl, and they're the handyman. They do everything. They'll build a wall. They empty the garbage. If your septic tank needs emptying, they'd literally make the living.
Gav: There is some things I say no to. I have recently been like, I'm not doing that, no.
Dan: And as you get older, you're like, I'm not doing that.
Gav: Yeah, I don't need to do that shit.
Dan: You still haven't answered whether or not you'll come to my house and clean naked. I'm still waiting to. Yeah. You haven't said no.
Gav: So, you know, you could wear an apron. We should talk off. You should talk off. Yeah.
Dan: Okay. All right. Well, let's kick off then. So we start off. It is a sort of a Western, almost this.
Gav: I do like the isolated, desolate type vibe going on with this straight away. These guys, these guys just put a fence up in the middle of nowhere. And I quite like it myself. I'd be like, oh, the piece and the piece and triangle.
Dan: I know, it's nice.
Gav: Nobody around. Amazing. So it's a good sense, a good sense of the geography of the land and the good sense of where they are. You know.
Dan: We start off with a shot of Kevin Bacon pissing off a cliff. Yep. Because that's where they are. There's nothing around. Earl's asleep in the back of their truck. They wake up in the morning. And this is a routine they've clearly done over and over again. They do rock, paper, scissors for whose turn it is to make breakfast. That's something that they do throughout the movie. Rock, paper, scissors, rock, paper, scissors. Vowel has to make breakfast for them. And like you say, they're putting up not just a fence, they're putting up a barbed wire fence. And they're getting a bit pissed with it. You know, we're, you know, I'm fed up of being dog's bodies. And Vowel, Kevin Bacon says, we're not dog's bodies, we're handymen. Yeah, okay.
Gav: He's like, fine.
Dan: But yeah, they're like, oh, what are we gonna do next? And Earl's like, well, look, we've got to empty someone's scepter tank, then we've got to do the garbage. I've got a list. I'm always thinking two days ahead. So he's like the organized one out of the group. The other one is just like, Kevin Bacon just thinks with his dick. And they're driving along and they see a truck and Kevin Bacon loses his mind. Cause he says, that's that scientist I heard. And it's a woman.
Gav: It's bad though, for this town of 14 people. Do you know what I mean? A new woman comes into it. There's a couple of blokes. But yes, very excited, very excited. And they want to go check this person out, who is an earthquake and seismologist, is it, or something?
Dan: Yeah, that's all right. Because Val, Kevin Bacon's got this woman that he wants to meet in his head, who's five foot ten, blue eyes, world class titties, an ass that won't quit, and legs that go on for days. That's the woman in his head.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Very 1990, you know.
Gav: I watched an episode of Magnum recently, and the whole time, Magnum's dude said he moves, you know, his little crew, TC.
Dan: Howie.
Gav: No, I can't remember.
Dan: I know. Howie's from The Fall Guys. Sorry.
Gav: Yeah. I can't remember his name right now. They've been listening to radio DJ on the island, and it's real sexy for us. So Tom Selleck, Magnum goes along to meet her, and she's like, oh, she went, oh, so she's just a normal looking woman. But it's like she's not unattractive, but it's like that casting must have been horrible, because she's just like, oh, you're expecting some sort of bimbo, like big breasts and all that sort of stuff. And it was just you felt kind of sorry for the woman and stuff. And it was just a bit like because each person had turned up, the nose to turn, said, oh, where is she? And then she's like, oh, and it's like, how bad would that be everywhere you go? You've got this voice, everyone thinks you're, I'm a blonde with large breasts and whatever fantasy thing men put in their head from their voice. Then they get them to meet them. Must be such a, do you know what I mean?
Dan: Well, the problem is people have seen the fog. So when you hear Adrian Barbosa on the radio, when you see her, you think, well, there she is. That's the naughty boy in me. I'll stop that now. So they go up, they pull up to this scientist, a seismologist, as she said, Rhonda, played by Finn Carter. And she is a little bit disheveled. She's got suntan lotion all over her nose. And they're like, oh, you must be the scientist. She says, yeah, I'm here to record, earthquake readings and things like that in this tank.
Gav: I'll say that she's been having some weird readings as well.
Dan: She does. She says, do you know if they're doing any drilling or blasting in the area?
Gav: Yeah, obviously she's getting something which is making her go, there's something going on here under the ground, but I don't actually know what it is. So, yeah.
Dan: But Fred Ward Earl is like, I'll tell you what we'll do. We'll ask in time and then we'll come back and let you know. And Vow, as they drive off, says, why did you say that? And he's like, well, I'm trying to get you in there, you know, try and hook you up with her.
Gav: Yeah, it is. It's no cock blocking. They're not trying to block each other out of this.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: This lady, though, may not be interested in either of them. Just obviously we find out she is. But, you know, they shouldn't just assume. Yeah, I know. But yeah, so they go to the local store, which for a town of 14 is going to be the hangout spot. Of course, all the time. What are you doing Friday night? Going to the local store. Saturday. Local store Sunday. Local store or whatever you do. And there's no internet, obviously. So there's probably not even a TV. Can I get TV?
Dan: They probably got TV.
Gav: They've got phone lines, haven't they, to the town?
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: That's it.
Dan: There's not a lot to do there, it is there.
Gav: No wonder the kid is going around, like the boy kid who's in, the older brother in that program, doesn't matter, the older kid in there, and they're always saying, don't do that, I'm gonna kick your ass, you know, the whole time to him. No wonder he's doing shit, he's bored as fuck, you know, he's like, what else he could be doing?
Dan: Well, there's Mindy, the little girl, all she does is see if she can beat her Pogo Stick record.
Gav: Yeah, until she gets to a certain age, and she goes, this is shit.
Dan: I'm leaving.
Gav: And just goes, yeah.
Dan: So it's a great little way of meeting all the locals, really. We get to Walter's store, we meet Melvin, that kid that you mentioned, Burt Gummer is there with his wife Heather, and they're the gun fanatics.
Gav: Hangout spot. Victor Wong owns it. Obviously, we know he's a famous thief from like Big Trouble in Little China and other stuff.
Dan: And we get a little, they're taking the piss out of Burt. Oh, Jesus Christ, Burt, you're preparing for World War III. But obviously, he's all going to pay off in the end because he's going to have all of his guns, et cetera.
Gav: How weird that would be though. Come on, wife. We're just going to move to this town, there's no people, and just get loads and loads of bullets and stuff. What for?
Dan: Well, he says, doesn't he? Later on, he says, that's why we moved here because it's isolation. And if there was like a zombie apocalypse, so he's completely paranoia then.
Gav: Yeah, right.
Dan: He said they've got like six months worth of food and water.
Gav: Rather than just live a normal life, just fucking just be totally paranoid.
Dan: Yeah, they'd love it.
Gav: But again, Dan, again, if it makes them happy, let them do it.
Dan: Yeah. If they want to go and watch the Bluey movie at the cinema, let them do it.
Gav: Let them do it.
Dan: We do get a little close up of an earth tremor in the desert. Very simple shots. You don't need to see a lot, but the effects, when they do come in later, are really well done.
Gav: It's well, one of the things I really enjoyed watching this time from a filmmaker's perspective, especially the effects, is the simplicity of just setting up a few little explosion bits jotted along at different points. Then the camera being wide, so it goes, some smoke goes up, like dust. Then the next one, okay, do number three, number four. So it looks like something's under the ground, going along, flinging up dust at times. So simple and so effective.
Dan: They also use what I like to call the Evil Dead Cam, a couple of times in this, where they're showing you that there's something moving quickly under the ground towards one of our actor's feet.
Gav: Yeah, POV.
Dan: That gets used a few times.
Gav: Yeah, the POV of the bad thing, yeah.
Dan: The Gravoid.
Gav: And generally, above, looking down, it's in the ground, like come tunneled, so to speak, shapes, coming along underground. That's just excellent, you know.
Dan: And there's some good sound effects as well, because this Earth tremor we're talking about at the moment, it's then the Evil Dead Cam follows Rhonda as she gets back into her car, and we just hear like a screech, and we think, what was that? Was that her car? Was that, we're not quite sure what it was. And you hear that a couple of times. So we're already aware that there's something under the ground, not quite sure what it is. And I think when people first saw this, they didn't realize that those first things we see, obviously that's just the tongue of one of these things. We thought those were the actual things, but when you get to see them later on, and they're absolutely massive, that's brilliant. It's done so well.
Gav: They're fantastic effects when they are seen. It looks so good. All practical.
Dan: But we cut to Earl and Val on garbage duty.
Gav: Well, they're doing drain clearing, so they got some garbage too.
Dan: Then they cut to the septic tank.
Gav: Yeah, brilliant.
Dan: They get covered in shit.
Gav: You know, yeah, definitely. You got to say that's going to be important. You know, we're getting out of here. Funny enough, the next action is yes, we are getting the fuck out of here.
Dan: Yeah, because the septic tank blows back and they get covered in shit and they just pack up all their stuff from their trailer into the back of their truck and they are out of there.
Gav: The thing is, the townsfolk need a couple of blokes like this who will clear blocked shit drains. Yep. So they're going to be like, oh, no, you've got to stay because we've got so much more work you can do.
Dan: Yeah, because Nancy, who owns a shop, she says, well, well, don't go yet, guys. And they're like, no, sorry, Nancy, we're leaving. We got bigger plans out there somewhere on the horizon. And she says, I need I need someone to build a wall and a new kitchen for me, my restaurant. And it'll be about a month's work and I'll pay you in money and I'll give you free beer every day.
Gav: And they look at each other. And obviously, you'd imagine that that is the kicker. We know that they're going to say yes, that cut to they don't.
Dan: They drive off. They're like, I can't believe we said no. Well, they feel free, go free.
Gav: They're so happy and they're driving away. And here we go. And all of a sudden, there's our buddy's truck. What's going on? What's he doing? Is he up a pole?
Dan: What's Edgar doing up that pole?
Gav: What's he doing? Right, pull over. Let's go have a little look, shall we?
Dan: Edgar, Edgar.
Gav: I think he's asleep, obviously.
Dan: Ah, your wife's going to kill you. We're going to have to go up there and get him banged. Yeah. Then we get a great crane shot. You know, this is 1990. This would have been shot in 1989.
Gav: Bacon climbs up this tower.
Dan: He does. And as he gets up there, he realizes Edgar is dead. Edgar.
Gav: Edgar is dead from dehydration.
Dan: Yeah, he's all sort of blistered.
Gav: And he's been sitting up there for four or five days. We find out.
Dan: Yeah, because they called the doctor. The doctor says, well, he died of thirst and that would take three or four days. And they're like, what? What the hell? What was he doing up there? What would he been afraid of? That's crazy. All right. That's just strange going on. Anyway, let's try and leave this town again. But obviously, the more they try and leave, the more these strange things start happening, because we then see the farmer with his sheep.
Gav: This is cool. I like them. See, I really enjoyed that that bit then goes straight to this very, like you say, arachnophobia, but I really like this progression.
Dan: Yeah. The sheep are acting crazy because obviously animals can sense that there's something under the ground.
Gav: And it's good to just jump to a couple of characters in another location we've not been to. It just kind of opens up the field of the film being a wider scoped film.
Dan: And it's great because there's only 14 people in this time. We will see them all. It's not like you don't need a 10-part Netflix series to explore these characters. We're just quickly getting a little glimpse, and some of them are just going to die straight away like this farmer.
Gav: A rubbish TV series.
Dan: I mean, they made a TV show of it. So the scarecrow gets pulled into the ground behind the farmer. Then he's pulled into the ground, and that's kind of all we see of that. Then we see some guys with pneumatic drills, and they're drilling into the ground, and we think, well, there's something under the rock of the ground that's probably not very good. So what's going to happen next? So Val and Earl, as they're trying to leave this town once and for all, they then see all the dead sheep. Kevin Bacon says, what the shit? Which probably would have been what the fuck originally. And they can't find Fred, the farmer. Where is he? Oh, look, there's his hat.
Gav: And very quickly, when we cut to that scene, it is quite a nice little scene with a farmer just doing his thing. And all of a sudden, the sheep start being a bit disturbed. And he's like, what the fuck's going on? And all of a sudden, he's taken down. It's a nice little quick thing, which we needed in the film, but it's really good.
Dan: Yeah, because the scarecrow gets taken out first.
Gav: Yeah, I quite enjoyed that.
Dan: Just to add a little bit of horror.
Gav: Yeah, I quite enjoyed that scene, actually.
Dan: And what's really cool is when they find his hat, Bacon lifts up his hat and obviously underneath it is farmer Fred's face sticking out from under the ground.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Dan: And that's cool as well.
Gav: Yeah, totally. Yeah, again, again, something really simple you can do as well, bury someone on the ground, just have their face popped out.
Dan: So they speed back to town, they drive past those guys with the pneumatic drills and they pull over and they say, you got to get out here. There's a psycho on the loose hacking people up and jabbing their heads off. That's so good.
Gav: These other two bloke workers, these are two bloke workers in their truck and these two other bloke workers at the side road doing some drilling and stuff. I've been in a van with multiple guys in London shouting out stuff to strangers. It just happens. And you say all sorts, you know, and yeah, they drove off and they're like, oh, don't listen to them. They're just fucking able to laugh. Obviously, you wouldn't know. There's a killer here. You wouldn't think there's a killer. So they carry on.
Dan: As his pneumatic drill digs into the ground, we hear a scream and we see some blood come out. Then the drill, really cool shot, with the drill gets upright, gets dragged away.
Gav: That's so good. Yeah.
Dan: Yeah. And one of the guys gets dragged up a hill by something. We don't see what it is. And then there's a landslide, which crushes the other guys. So they're both dead now. So we're getting really rapid gass, you know.
Gav: And it's a fast flying movie as well.
Dan: So Vow and Earl.
Gav: The young girl, it's the girl from Jurassic Park, first one, isn't it?
Dan: Is it?
Gav: Yeah, it's the same young girl.
Dan: Oh, I didn't know that. Wow, bloody hell. Yeah. So the guys drive back to Walters and they tell everybody that Fred's dead. Fred Farmer, Fred is dead. So, you know, this is huge news because there's only 14 people from this time. Now we know that Fred and Edgar are both dead. And they're like, well, what the hell is going on? Like, this is crazy. And they say, well, we're going to have to go and get the police. Pick up the phone. Walter's phone is dead because those guys with the drills, we're fixing the phone lines. Nice, nice little isolation. So, Vowell and I will say, well, look, we'll go off, we'll get the police and we'll bring them back here.
Gav: And ladies and gents, we're pre-mobile phones, we're pre-obviously internet, but you did the phone on anyway, but we're pre-mobile phones. And if anything, probably wouldn't have much fucking signal out there anyway.
Dan: Not out in perfection. So Vowell and Earl drive back out and as they approach those pneumatic drill guys, they're not there anymore. And they find one of their helmets upside down covered in brains. And they're like, oh my God, something is going on here. There's something crazy happening here.
Gav: It must be like, where didn't we leave yesterday?
Dan: I know. He says, he actually says, of all the times we've picked, why didn't we pick 24 hours ago to leave this fucking place? So Vowell crashes the back of the truck into the rock wall behind him. And it gets stuck, almost like something's holding the axle. And he manages to get away, drives back to Walters, and they see a creature hanging on the back of the axle. And they're like, what is it? A snake? Is it an eel? I like the way they're all sort of like, an eel? No, it's not an eel. An eel lives in the water. And they're sort of all figuring it out. And because Burt Gummer is so brave, he picks it off with a stick and it's dead and it stinks. They're all speculating what it is. They sit inside. Walter, being Walter, the man who runs this shop, and he's a wheeler dealer, is like, I'll buy it off you for $15. And they're like, all right, great. And then he gets everyone to have a picture with it. And he's gonna sort of try and make some money out of it. Almost like one of these shops that says, Bigfoot lives near here, you know, that kind of thing. I love this. They're discussing, what do you think this could be? Aliens? It could be a government experiment. It could be radiation, mutations, that kind of thing. So they're kind of ticking off all the boxes, you know. I've never seen a snake like this before. What could it be? And again, we know that this isn't the creature. This is just one of its tongues. Yeah, they haven't found that bit out yet, which is really cool.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Now, my favorite scene is next.
Gav: So this is, and this is an avocado. This is not townsfolk, is it? This is just...
Dan: Yeah, this is the doctor and his wife.
Gav: Oh, it is. It's in the car around here.
Dan: Yeah. So the doctor and his wife are out camping, probably on the outskirts of the town, and they're packing up for the night. They're thinking about, tomorrow we need to go and pick up this. Yeah, we're going to do that. He's a doctor, but he also likes this jack of all trades, like everybody in this town. This scene is just brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Suddenly, all the generator goes off and all their lights go off on their campsite. And they're like, what the hell's going on? I don't know. Let's go and check the generator. The generator's not there. What do you mean it's not there? And it's been pulled into the ground. There's a little hole in the ground where the generator used to be. Yeah. So they pull the cord and it's been bitten. And then they see the generator fly up like 20 feet away out of another hole in the ground. And what is it? Is it a gas burst like a geezer? I'm not sure what this could be. And then Dr. Jim is pulled quite horribly, feet first into the ground. And he screams, doesn't he? He's like, help me! He's got my legs! And his wife's like, oh my God. She puts like a plank across the hole, but whatever's pulling him. Yeah, but whatever's pulling him, he just snaps straight through that plank. And then he's gone.
Gav: I thought it was quite good quick thinking to put the plank there.
Dan: Yeah, I mean, all of the people that live in this town are all pretty outdoorsy.
Gav: You gotta be savvy.
Dan: And then a little snake pops out of that hole where her husband once was and sort of screams at her. So she legs it back to the car.
Gav: And while she's trying to start the car, a big, horrific, jointly glory hole, isn't it?
Dan: Earthly, slightly snakes.
Gav: Glory hole of death and destruction.
Dan: Well, she jumps in the car. And this is a bit of a Cujo moment here now, because it snakes all over the window and it sort of licks it and puts survival over it. She accidentally flicks the radio on, which I love. There's just a country western song playing. It's about Cowboy love tonight, tonight to love a cowboy. But what happens to the car, Gav?
Gav: Well, the sound obviously makes it antagonize the tremors more, because they don't know yet, as we know, listeners, because you've watched it. And if you haven't watched it, what are you doing? As we all know that they are attracted to sound. That's how they use their hunting skills. So, yeah, the car gets sucked into the ground. It's brilliant. It's so simple. And the headlights. Not simple, but, you know.
Dan: Especially the final shot, because all you see for the final shot is from the distance, two lights up, going up into the sky.
Gav: They look like animation, don't they?
Dan: And then they just vanish. We know that the cars... But it works. It works so well.
Gav: It worked really well. And because you just have to cut away, and then you're just from a distance, like you say, these lights go up and then just then stop. So yeah.
Dan: What really sells that scene, though, is the acting, particularly of the doctor, the guy Jim, you know, he's really screaming in agony and pain because I only imagine what's happening to him under the ground. You know, it's horrible. So cut back to Walters and he's having more pictures taken with people. Burt's getting ready for war. You know, he's getting his guns ready. And he says, we're completely cut off here. That's why we moved here. There's no way, you know, we could reach anybody, really. And then somebody has an idea. What about if we rode a horse to the next time?
Gav: Yeah. Again, I don't know sounds the alerter for this.
Dan: Walters like, well, I've got two horses. Great. So who's going to ride them? Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward, the heroes. So they've tried to leave. They've gone from covered in shit. Right. We're out. We're out of here now. Let's leave. So suddenly, there's been about five people die and they're now having to ride horses like cowboy heroes to the next time to alert the police. Yeah. Jesus Christ. It's not easy for them, is it? So they head off at dawn. We get some beautiful scenery and shots now with them riding huge sprawling landscapes. And they arrive at the campsite of Dr. Jim.
Gav: Dr. Jim.
Dan: And they get there and they say, for Christ's Jim, I'm a doctor, not a whatever. No, they don't. They get there and they're looking around thinking, well, where's Jim and his wife? This is crazy. Why would they just abandon the campsite? And then I love, again, I love this follow up scene. He says, where the hell is the goddamn golden oldie coming from? And they can hear music playing. They're not sure where they're from because it's quiet. So they walk over and they kick a bit of metal and they brush the dirt out of the way and they find the headlights of the car.
Gav: Yeah, it's cool.
Dan: Really, really cool.
Gav: And even cooler, to do that effect, you don't even need to have a car under there. You just have a battery going to a bulb in a light and just the front of a light and just have buried in. It's fucking easy.
Dan: Just the bumper of a car on the seat. Well, good, really good stuff. So they jump on their horses because they know some shit is going down now, and they ride off really fast, but calf horses feet make vibrations and sound again.
Gav: They're not they're not aware of this shit, Daniel.
Dan: And the horse gets scared. Suddenly it gets pulled over and we see some tentacles attacking this horse. And he says, God damn it, Val, they're under the goddamn ground. So they realize that whatever is doing this is under the ground.
Gav: And the poor horses get it.
Dan: Yeah, the horse does. Horse gets killed and eaten. The ground splits.
Gav: Well, they go, fuck. So they just run and they jump into a ditch. Eventually after a little bit of chasing this thing, chasing after them.
Dan: Yeah, we get underground POV as well.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Dan: Something moving through the dirt, which is cool.
Gav: But as they jump into this concrete, like a river reservoir, well, it was essentially would be, this thing's just stomping through the ground and just comes up to the concrete and it knocks itself out. And it does break the concrete and comes through. So you got this big, massive fucking monster worms mouth just coming out through the concrete. It looks so cool. Great practical. It's like, that's impressive practical folks.
Dan: The size of the shark from Jaws may be bigger. What just before that as well, really nice bit of circular poetry almost, is those fence posts they were putting up in the opening scene. As this thing's chasing them, the fence posts they spent ages putting up are all getting ripped out of the ground by the things that goes underneath them, which is quite cool. But yeah, you're right. It smashes through the wall. It's dead. It's knocked itself out or it's dead. And Rhonda shows up. What the hell's going on here? I've got some weird seismic readings. And they're like, well, this is what it is. Help us uncover the creature. So they start digging out. Because she's a scientist, everybody, and I love this all the way through. Whenever there's anything, they're like, well, you're a scientist. You must know what this is. She's like, I study earthquakes. I have no idea what this thing is. I couldn't tell you what this is.
Gav: At least though, because that's what you do. You just assume, because someone's like, you're a doctor of something. You're like, oh, you're a doctor. No, I'm not a doctor of that. But then again, they can have a professional opinion and probably have a good idea and be fairly intelligent. So you can understand the assumption to ask people like that.
Dan: Well, she is quite clever enough to say, well, look, there's no eyes. So it obviously lives underground. It must be subterranean.
Gav: Smells bad.
Dan: It stinks. It's the tentacles, the snakes that we thought were the creature itself, or actually the tongue of this creature.
Gav: How impressive when she says about the little thin bits on it, which help it push itself along. That's really good. My little feet, they're all good. I thought it's a lovely tension detail.
Dan: In the middle of this amazing speech where she's saying, this is the discovery of the century. You don't understand. These things could be millions of years old. All of a sudden, Kevin Bacon goes, I found the ass end. He does. And he's really excited to have found the ass of this creature at the other end.
Gav: She thinks there's three more of them.
Dan: Yeah. She said, well, they're saying we're going to be rich. This is going to make us rich. But she says, yeah, hang on, guys, I think there's three more of these because I've had readings, got four different readings going off all at the same time, very far apart from each other. So I think there's probably three more out here somewhere. Yeah. So they run to some really big rocks because they think, well, maybe the creature can't get to us on the big rocks. And then they're stranded because her car is really far away. Their horse has been eaten.
Gav: And this is where they realize the vibrations of what it is. Yeah.
Dan: So they discuss the conspiracies are in the creature again. They talk about government experiments, aliens. Are they a prehistoric monster that's only just been discovered by us?
Gav: And they're stuck on this rock in the desert. It's probably going to get a bit cold as the night comes in and they go to sleep. But they do wake up in the morning. Kevin Bacon honestly gave his jacket to the lady.
Dan: He did, Mr. Bacon. Gentleman. And Earl's looking over like, yeah, you go get some boy. But yeah, they wake up and they're like, well, how the hell are we going to get out of here? And again, she's her mind. She's a scientist. So she's just like, while they're arguing about how they're going to get to the truck, she just grabs a pole from the ground. And I love this scene.
Gav: Pole grabber.
Dan: It just starts pole vaulting. What a great scene that completely...
Gav: I know, I'll probably go and do it in my hands with a slip and I'll just fall and crack my head open. But in the middle of all this... I still though, when I watch this, I'm like, I want to do it. Every time it's like, I want to have a quick, just one go, can I have a quick go?
Dan: Exactly, because in the middle of all of this horror and monsters...
Gav: There's a montage of them just over rocks, kind of feels like a very 80s, it is this 1990s, so they would have been shot actually in probably 89s. Let's tell them it is a very 80s thing to do, a nice, nice fun montage with all three of them doing something. And it visually looks great because they're all going, like all three of them going over the rocks. And you've seen this in other 80s films, this sort of thing happening.
Dan: And this scene is the first scene that was written actually, the person that wrote this came up with the concept because he was on a rock once and he thought, what would happen if I couldn't leave this rock? And there was something under the ground. Maybe. But yeah, so they pole vault all the way across until they get onto her truck. They drive, even though there's something tries to grab the truck, they managed to get away and they drive all the way back to Walters. They explain everything to everybody at Walters, because everybody is at Walters, they always are. They explain about the tongues, how it travels.
Gav: Walters is the place to be, that's why.
Dan: It's the place to be.
Gav: I bet Walters got like at night time when the kid goes home. Okay, guys, got some whiskey, some cigars and some porn.
Dan: Let's play poker.
Gav: Let's play poker and watch dodgy porn videos.
Dan: They wouldn't really have much porn now.
Gav: I reckon there's one magazine get shared around all of that.
Dan: Oh, Jesus. I hope it's laminated. Walters is more interested in what we'll call them. He's like, what do we call these things? Because obviously he's thinking ching ching, ching ching, money, money. And they're like, what should we call them, snakeoids, graboids? I don't know. They end up calling them graboids because in the sequel, there's a graboids arcade machine in Earl's trailer. I remember that. We do get a quick insert of one of the telephone guys, another guy who'd come out to fix the telephone lines. He's dead as well. So these these graboids are eating pretty well at the moment. So they look at the map. They're trying to figure out what they're going to do, and they figure out that the attacks have been happening all the way along the cliff edge, heading towards the Time Of Perfection, and they're headed right for them. What are we going to do? I don't know. Hang on a minute. What's that sign outside? It's Melvin with his basketball bouncing on the ground, Gav.
Gav: Fucking Melvin. Everybody hates Melvin. This is the one from earlier. Melvin.
Dan: Melvin. He's like, what now? I think he's got headphones on. I can't remember. Anyway, his basketball gets grabbed and he climbs up a pole. They all disperse up onto various roofs and buildings and sheds. And there's one of them under Walter's shop. And they say, right, don't forget, you got to keep really quiet because, you know, these things hunt by sound and vibration.
Gav: Then all of a sudden, what do you hear?
Dan: A fucking pogo stick.
Gav: What the fuck? And they will look at it like, oh no, because they know what's going to happen.
Dan: And they go, Mindy, Mindy, but Mindy can't hear them because she's got her headphones on. So what does it do? Kevin Bacon, there he is. He runs out, he grabs her. And then this is where they realize that there's two of them. There's one under Walter's shop and another one underneath near the big Walter Tower. Rhonda trips over and one tries to grab her. She gets tangled up in some barbed wire, starts pulling her. So Val saves her, but Kevin Bacon says, Take off your pants! Apparently, they didn't rehearse this shot. So the first time, the one and only time she ripped off her trousers in front of Kevin Bacon was this shot. So her reaction is real, was sort of half giggling, half... Actually, would, if I was ripping off my trousers in front of Kevin Bacon, I'd be giggling a little bit as well. I'd be a bit nervous, but a bit excited.
Gav: It's such a weird movie to watch you in it, just taking your trousers off, giggling to Kevin Bacon, handing him your trousers.
Dan: I'd play the seismologist in this, that would be brilliant. He runs with her.
Gav: With the conversation I had off air earlier with your wife discussing AI, I actually went into the fact of how good it'd be to remix movies. I can't wait. You can remix Tremors and be actually that character ripping off your trousers. Just to say.
Dan: As long as we can put you in it as Walter.
Gav: You can actually be involved things if you wanted.
Dan: You could do being John Malkovich. You could just. But I could be every character in Tremors. Even the worm.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Even the worm coming out the ground. It's so ugly.
Gav: We could play being Gav and you could be inside my head as well.
Dan: Yeah, we could do so much with AI. It's going to be great, isn't it? Yeah, I can be Jackie Chan.
Gav: Absolutely.
Dan: I could be He-Man. Oh boy. There's a really, really, really, really fantastic effect here of the wooden decking outside Walter's shop as Kevin Bacon and Rhonda run back to the shop.
Gav: It's really good.
Dan: What they did was they had a line, like a tow cable underneath it.
Gav: They just put it along with a big finger there.
Dan: And they just pulled it along and ripped it up. But it looks so good. They all jump into the shop and they all sort of sit in there really quietly in silence. But of course, Walter's got one of those big freezers that comes on every sort of hour for 20 minutes, keep it nice and cold. And that creates a huge amount of noise and vibration. And that attracts one of the creatures. They manage to unplug it, but unfortunately, one of the Graboids bursts up through the floor and Walter is no more. He gets his Jaws moment, slides down into the mouth of it, gets shaken from left to right, and he's devoured. And goodbye to Victor Wong, who is brilliant in this. He's great in everything. He's so dry. You leave Jack Burden alone.
Gav: He's like, yeah, I know. So they all manage to get onto the roofs of the building.
Dan: That's right. Apart from Ronda, who falls out of a window and she has to climb up the water tower. The rest of them are up on Walter's roof. Bert and Heather are out trying to track these creatures because they don't know the extent of what they're dealing with yet. So Bert and his wife are out trying to track them. They radio Val.
Gav: So they got CB radios, yeah.
Dan: And they're like, look, we're in a bunker full of weapons. You know, come here. We've got food and water. It's going to be great. And they're using this sort of grinding machine to grind up and recycle old bullets and make new casings, I think, isn't it?
Gav: But the looks of it. I thought it was just cleaning them.
Dan: Maybe it is. I'm not quite sure. It's got sand in it.
Gav: I'm pretty sure that's just cleaning the bullets.
Dan: You need clean bullets, Gav, don't you? I know so little about guns.
Gav: Probably just shakes of all the dust and shit. I don't know if I call. I probably.
Dan: I know so little about guns. I if someone handed me one, I'd probably shoot my own foot off. Honestly, I know so little about that. I've held a gun once.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: No, as in I mean, I've shot a gun on a clay pigeon range. I know you fired a machine gun when you were in LA. I've held a real gun once at a party.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Not proud of that. But someone passed. I think I've told this story on the show before. Someone handed me a gun. This gangster guy said, have you ever seen a real gun? And I said, no, I was very drunk. He handed me a gun. I was like, what the fuck? And then I handed it straight back to him. I thought, why have I touched that?
Gav: Here you go. Here's my fingerprints.
Dan: I know I was a bit paranoid for a few days after that.
Gav: Yeah, because he could have just then put that easily into his pocket.
Dan: Yeah, a bit silly of me, really. But that's incredibly rare in the UK to see that sort of thing. So back to Tremors then. So this machine that they use to clean the bullets, unfortunately, it creates a lot of vibration and noise. That attracts one of the Graboids and they radio, get out of your basement. They're headed towards you. It smashes through their basement wall that they've built their bunker underground, Gav. The one place they thought they'd be safe.
Gav: Exactly. So like their plan went to shit, didn't it? The idea of just going out, let's go out here and do a bunker in case the world goes to shit. The world's gone to shit and it's fucking underground. Just penis.
Dan: But the best thing about this scene is it gives Burt Gummer and his wife Heather the chance to grab every gun in their arsenal.
Gav: Elephant gun, all sorts.
Dan: They unload into this thing.
Gav: They enjoy it. See, this would have been quite fun to have done. Shooting the guns.
Dan: She even fires a flare gun into its mouth at one point. It's like everything they can grab.
Gav: Oh, yeah.
Dan: And they managed to kill it. And he says, but there's still two of them out there.
Gav: Well, they say, they finally get through to him and say, you need to go on the roof because they go with vibrations. They're underground. There's a couple more out there. So they're like, fuck. So they decide what guns to. I like this when they go, right. What should I take? Should I take this one or that one? Well, this one's got better and they're just discussing.
Dan: Yeah, she says like, well, they're underground. So this one's got really good penetration, but that one works better because it spreads the shots better. And they're like trying to figure out. And they said the trouble is they're too far under the ground. So we killed the one in the bunker because he came through the wall, but we can't kill the ones under the ground. They're so far under the ground. So they don't really know what to do here. I'd never heard of an elephant gun until this film. I can only imagine why it's called an elephant gun because it's big enough to take out an elephant.
Gav: That's the reason it is made for you.
Dan: I can only imagine what that would do to a human being if you shot somebody with that.
Gav: Big hole.
Dan: Great big hole in your belly. So they tell Burt, look, you're going to have to go for help. And he's like, yeah, but I can't, I want to leave here. I've got all my food and my guns and my water. You've got to go for help, Burt. So him and Ronda are like, OK, well, him and Heather are like, all right, we'll try and maybe go for help. But then while they're in the middle of this conversation on the CV, Ronda on the water tower, it starts being pulled over. Something is figured out. They're clever, these creatures, and they figured out that if they snap the wood of one of the legs of the water tower, they'll pull it down and therefore they'll be able to eat Ronda. And they're sort of going under all the buildings, testing the foundations to see which is the weakest, aren't they? And they're shaking Walter's shop and slowly that's collapsing into the ground, and that's where the other guys are as well. And they realize they're kind of being hunted by these creatures. They're very clever. Nester, one of the characters, his trailer is next. He gets flipped over and he climbs on a tire, which is like six inches off the ground. And he's like, I'm all right now. And they're like, no, no, you need to be higher. And he gets pulled through the tire into the ground.
Gav: Yeah, yeah. They do think of using a bulldozer to actually travel with, which has got a big front bit. They could put everybody inside, which is got a good idea. Obviously, that's a big thing, though. Now it's going to do vibrations, but they think it's heavy enough where it shouldn't get pushed over. But I don't know, it's a bit risky. But what else are you going to do, I guess?
Dan: Yeah. So they figure out, well, look, let's go grab the bulldozer, hook it up to that trailer that's near it. And we can ride up to Burt's house on that. But how are we going to get there? That's the problem.
Gav: Well, we need a misdirection, a distraction, don't we really?
Dan: So Miguel sets off a little tractor, four by four quad bike thing. Yeah. And it follows that for a little bit.
Gav: And Fred's about to go for the run.
Dan: Well, they do rock, paper, scissors, don't they?
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And Elle wins. And then just about to do it. Bacon just gets going.
Dan: He elbows him in the stomach. And he says, not this time. And he says, you got to be the goddamn hero, Val. And Val runs. He's almost eaten. They're like, stand still, stand still. And you get this great shot of the snakeoid coming out of the ground and sort of licking his cowboy boots. Oh, I'd love to be that creature. Sorry, I'm just shaking his head like I'm not surprised. So he jumps on the bulldozer, hooks up the trailer, drives it back to them. Meanwhile, Bert and Heather are making bombs.
Gav: Not whoopee.
Dan: They're not making whoopee. They're making bombs, not sex bombs, actual bombs. They're so fucking good.
Gav: Sex bombs, actual sex bombs. Tom Jones, what are you singing about? Sex bombs, sex bombs. And it's actually this bomb, as you throw it, it's just like, it's just sex. I don't know what that means though. Could be the smell.
Dan: Jesus. Well, we got this really heroic shot now of the JCB. The bulldozer driving up towards Bert's and they're cheering because everyone's in the trailer. It's really cool. They all jump it, Bert and Heather jump in it with their bombs and they say, head to the rocky terrain because they can't get to us on the rocks. All right, that's great. Let's go. And the creature does try to pull the bulldozer in, but it can. And they set a trap. The raboids dig a trench ahead of them, which is so clever. And then the JCB falls into it, which means that sort of a lower level now and they can be picked off. So Bert throws one of his bombs, which is fucking a huge explosion. And they're like, Jesus Christ, Bert, what the hell was in that? And all he says to them is just the right amount of several household chemicals. That's what he says. The proper proportions. OK, so that it scared them off, though. So they figure out these bombs do scare them off. So their plan is throw a bomb in front of them. Duck, wait for them to run away, run a bit more, throw a bomb, duck, wait for them to run away and try and get to the rocks that way. It's not a great plan, Gav, but it's all they've got, really, isn't it? So they managed to make it to the rocks and then realize what they're going to do now. We're stranded here. Yeah. And Burt's saying, I've got fucking food and water and guns in my bunker for six months. Jesus, what are we doing here? They have a few arguments and then they say, actually, you know, let's try and kill them then. There's only two left. Let's lasso a bomb, throw it out, try and blow one of them up. And they do manage to blow one of them up, which is great. It starts raining guts on them, which is gross and brilliant at the same time, which means there's only one left. Kevin Bacon wants this one, doesn't he?
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: This is my turn. Let me lasso it. But again, they're clever. They've already learned. So he throws the bomb out, it lands, but before it explodes, the Gravoid eats it, spits it back out and it flies over to order them and lands on all the other bombs.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And explodes all their bombs. They're fucked. What's that? So Val and Earl are the only ones left on the ground. It's a really clever creature. Val's got one last bomb left. And he says, I've got an idea. I've got an idea. You always tell me about that story about the stampede, because Earl's got this story, always tells about a stampede, always tells it, and how these cattle just ran off of a cliff because they're dumb, and they ran in one formation. They couldn't see where they were running. So Val just runs, Kevin Bacon runs towards the cliff, and the creature's chasing him and chasing him and chasing him. And at the last minute, the bomb goes off and scares the creature. It flies out of the cliff, lands on the ground below, and it just splats everywhere.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And that's how they do it. It's very clever, very cheap, very brilliant. And the epilogue is the boy is loading one of the creatures onto their truck. They're going to drive it back to the city, show everybody this new species they've discovered and become rich and famous.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: We almost get a Jack Burton ending because it looks like he's not going to kiss the girl.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: She really wants him. She shuts her eyes. She almost pouts her lips and he's just like walks away. And then it was like, what the hell are you doing? Come on. He's like, I'm nervous. I'm nervous. All right. And eventually he gives her a great big kiss on the lips and the credits roll.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: It's a fun film. Yeah.
Dan: She gets to see his grab all you then later.
Gav: I'm sure. So I'm sure some underground tunneling to be had. Yeah. It's a fun movie. It is fine. I think towards the end, it starts to not, it starts to come. Interest stakes, I think go down a little bit, but it's fine. It's a good movie.
Dan: It's well written and they had a good ending for it, but I agree.
Gav: It's fine.
Dan: I could do with five minutes being shaved off maybe towards the end.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Just because by that point of them driving along in this bulldozer, I'm kind of a bit done with it really. I'd like them to have got to that a bit quicker. But at the same time, I've grown up watching this. I really do love it. And it's always going to have a special place in my heart, really.
Gav: It's a big franchise. There's a lot of people. It's good effects. It's fine. Yeah.
Dan: It's funny that Kevin Bacon was so gutted that he'd made it. And now he's come back around and said, actually, people do love this film in my career. And you got to embrace it really.
Gav: You know, exactly. Oh, sorry.
Dan: Jesus Christ.
Gav: Big you there. Well, we better fucking get on with another trailer.
Dan: Well, hang on a bit. Before we do that, someone just walked in.
Gav: Oh, it's Bill. I forgot about Bill.
Dan: Well, I could see a worm poking its head right in the door. And then I realized it wasn't a worm. It wasn't.
Gav: It was Bill's little tremor.
Dan: Yeah, his little graboid is coming in. Hello, Bill. Here we go.
Gav: What do you mean?
Dan: Vibrations. Yeah, that's what we've just been discussed.
Gav: Bill's little graboid.
Dan: Hang on a minute. He's telling me something about vibrations. Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's what we've just talked about. The tremors are addicted. They're sort of attracted to vibration. Oh, those are vibrator.
Gav: It's the wrong movie.
Dan: Bill, Bill, Bill. Take us into World Of The Strange, you dirty old man.
Gav: Strange world, strange world, our past world, our mother's house.
Dan: So World Of The Strange, thanks for that, Bill Murray. We really should, I'm so ashamed Kevin couldn't make it.
Gav: No, but please put that tremor away.
Dan: So while we're discussing Kevin's Bacon, I just thought it would be fun to talk about...
Gav: Please start producing his own line of bacon.
Dan: That'd be amazing, wouldn't it? Kevin's Bacon. Yeah. Who else could... Let's think about who else could do that based on their name. So Jack Black, he could have like some paint, but only one color.
Gav: Jack's Black Paint.
Dan: Yeah. And then Jack White would have a rival company.
Gav: Jack's White Paint, yeah.
Dan: And then you'd have like... Who else is it? What else is there that does stuff? I don't know.
Gav: I don't know. I think we need to come back to this one.
Dan: Yeah, that's not very well thought out tangent. Well, we're going to be chatting about Bacon's Law, otherwise known more commonly as Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon. So Kevin Bacon is so famous for this, for this thing. And if you don't know what it is, I'll explain. But Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon is a game where people, you challenge basically someone, choose an actor, and I'll link them to Kevin Bacon in only six steps. Because he famously in the mid 90s in an interview said, you can link me to anyone in Hollywood. I've been in so many films and TV shows with so many big people. Like I said, he's never quite been that full leading man. He is very famous and he is a leading man, but he's never been like, you know, Jack Nicholson or Leonardo DiCaprio. But he reckons you can link him to anybody. And that then developed this game of the Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon, where people are like, I can link him to anybody in six. And you can quite often do it. I don't know, we might have a go at doing that in a minute, but it's really interesting and fun little bit of trivia on on Kevin. Yeah, it was an interview in 1994 with Premier magazine. He said, I've worked with everybody in Hollywood, or at least worked with someone who's worked with everyone in Hollywood. And they were like, what do you mean? He's like, I've been thinking about it. I've worked with everybody or at least worked with somebody who's worked with everybody in Hollywood because he's been in so many things. You know, I mentioned some of those Oscar winning films he was in in his career, you know, Tom Hanks. So there's a good one. Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise. Those are some big names. What you got to do is think about some of those people that he's been in Clint Eastwood. He's been directed by him. So this sort of game became quite big in the mid 90s. People don't really talk about it anymore, but I do like to play it occasionally. Can you think of an actor? Shall I try it? Do you want to give me an actor? And I'll try and link it.
Gav: I'm literally just trying to link. See, I'm trying to link you to Kevin Bacon.
Dan: Okay. So I was in The Shadow Of Death.
Gav: No, we go with Peter Natural. You're in Peter Natural, right? Brian O'Toole produced that. So that's you, Brian second. Brian made a film. This is where I'm at at the moment. Made, produced a film of Jeremy Renner. Okay, so that's Jeremy Renner. And now that's number three. So I can link you to Jeremy Renner in a couple of films.
Dan: Jeremy Renner was in Mission Impossible with Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise was in A Few Good Men with Kevin Bacon.
Gav: Done.
Dan: That's quite a short. It's only four, I think, maybe five.
Gav: Yeah, it's five or so. But yeah, it can be done fairly easily.
Dan: I think it's just a fun thing. And you could do it with Nicholas Cage. Do you know what I mean?
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. You could do it easily.
Dan: You know, but I just think it's very fun. There's a couple of examples I've got here, like Elvis Presley. So Elvis Presley was in a film called Change Of Habit in 1969 with Ed Asner. Ed Asner was in JFK with Kevin Bacon. So that's one of the shorter ones, just two. And then if you want to talk about, like, anyone in any of the Lord Of The Rings movies, Ian McKellen was in Lord Of The Rings movies. He was also Magneto in the X-Men movies. And that which means he was in a movie with Kevin Bacon because he played a bad guy in one of the X-Men movies. So you can link him to anybody. It's amazing. I absolutely love it. There's a book. You can buy a book of it, which has got 300 actors in it and have a link to Kevin.
Gav: So if you want to buy the book, random coffee book table book you got.
Dan: But yeah, so it starts off with obviously the shortest ones all the way through to the ones where it goes up to six. Yeah, it's good stuff. It's not much to talk about around that really. Other than that, we could sit here and play it, but I don't think our listeners would really like it. But I had to mention the Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon because, you know, it's fun. It's fun. Bill Murray, you're here. Should we try and link Bill Murray to Kevin Bacon?
Gav: Go on then.
Dan: All right. Let's have a think about this. So Bill Murray was in... What sort of Oscar-y type films was he in? He was in Ghostbusters. There's quite a few people in Ghostbusters.
Gav: I'd say just do that and then go from there, and you'll probably be able to do it, regardless of not really planning it.
Dan: Yeah, I've really got it. Bill, you're going to be pleased about this, Bill. I mean, I was going to start googling stuff. Who was the lawyer in Wild Things?
Gav: Is it Bill Murray?
Dan: It's Bill Murray. He was in... There we go. There you go, Bill. You were in Wild Things with Kevin Stong. Amazing. That's a great way to end it. I can't believe that. I was going to start googling it. So I was thinking, what was he in that could link to Kevin Bacon and I remembered Kevin Bacon.
Gav: You remembered Kevin's dong. Right. Anyway, Bill, take us away from Kevin's dong, please.
Dan: Let's go and have some stirs in our echoes.
Gav: Let's have a trailer. That's all the time we've got for this week on World Of The Strange. Next week, though, give me iron.
Trailer: Hairless pets. Weird. Come on. Hypnotize me. Come on. What's the worst that can happen? Critics hailed Stir Of Echoes as so creepy you forget to breathe. Echoes will stir your nightmares into a frenzy. It's rivetingly haunting. What the hell did she do to me? He's a receiver now. He can't stop it. He can't slow it down. He can't even figure it out. Stop! Don't be afraid of it, Daddy. Open your mind and cross the threshold into the Stir Of Echoes Special Edition DVD. Whatever door you open, I want you to shut it. Follow one ordinary man on an extraordinary journey into a haunting world of mystery, terror, and murder based on Richard Matheson's classic genre-bending novel written for the screen and directed by David Kepp, award-winning screenwriter of Spider-Man and The Panic Room, starring Kevin Bacon, Catherine Herbie, and Ileana Douglas.
Dan: Stir Of Echoes from 1999, rated R for Pirates. One hour and 39 minutes. Very short synopsis for this one. A man has visions of a missing neighborhood girl.
Gav: Yeah, maybe they wanted to keep it a bit more suspenseful to get audiences in. Maybe, but IMDb was not a thing at the time. They weren't looking at that. So that is it. But it doesn't need to be anymore. Now, this is quite a fun movie of the late 90s films. These were the sort of films which were kind of popping out with people like Kevin Bacon, well produced movie. A few other people that you'd be like, Oh, I recognize that person and that person. And there's a bit of a budget behind them. And it's the supernatural thing. Funny enough, coming out at the same time as Six Cents, obviously being a big, big opener for this type of film, but it definitely opened up the haunted ghost, see things, a kid trying, someone from the other side trying to communicate. That definitely did open us up a lot more, that's for sure.
Dan: As we discussed, it sadly suffered from that twin film thing where the same year Six Degrees Of Ke came out and absolutely dominated the box office and went on to be the one that people talk about. However, over the years, this has become quite a cult following behind it and it's a really well-produced, really well-acted, incredibly well-written, it was based on a novel, really well-written, acted movie. Kevin Bacon is really good in it. The kid that plays Jake, his son, is really good in it as well, really creepy. Kevin Dunn is in this and he's not comedy in this. He plays a really dark character in this and it does deal with some really dark subject matter as well. That whole sort of thing that's been in the news a couple of times recently where American parents have covered up horrible things their sons have done. Yeah, it's really interesting and got a really good payoff. And it does have some Shyamalan touches to it, although this was written well before any Shyamalan movie. Yeah, it's really good. Talking of which then, I said I'd do it. I just want to quickly talk about 1999 because that was a really great year. You're right. You know, the end of the 90s was, in my opinion, one of cinema's best years. And I've got a list of films here which is probably gonna blow, I hope, blow your mind. When you hear that all of these came out in the same year. So think about what these films did for the genre that they're in or for cinema in general. So Fight Club blew everyone away. Great twist in that.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: That kind of thing. The Matrix came out this year.
Gav: Both those two films opened up new possibilities, like the Twisted Fight Club and the Matrix, the Gun Fu, as they called it.
Dan: But even with the Fight Club, the way it was shot, the way it looked, it was almost like a comic book, but not.
Gav: Yeah, I've not seen it for many years. I've probably not seen it since the 90s.
Dan: American Beauty really blew everyone away. Yeah. I know it's got Kevin's Space in it, but it's a fantastic film. Yeah.
Gav: It's in my collection.
Dan: Very good film. The Green Mile, which is a very good film. Stephen King, incredible acting in it. Really good, sad film. Kubrick's last film, Wise Wide Shut, came out in 1999. Absolutely incredible. The Sixth Sense we've talked about, funny enough, being John Malkovich, came out in 1999. Another film that really played with effects and how they did, you know, John Malkovich being everywhere, but also being meta because he plays himself, but not himself. We've not seen anything like that, really. Smaller scale, but really game changing film. Office Space came out this year.
Gav: That was amazing.
Dan: Everyone loves that movie.
Gav: A slight, slight tangent. I did watch Opus the other day with John Malkovich.
Dan: I don't think I've seen it.
Gav: It really is OK, but some people really like it. But John Malkovich is like a pop star, really eccentric pop star who hides in the shadows and comes out every once in a while. It's produced by Noel Rogers. He did like Daft Punk. Yeah. He's produced all the songs for it. He all of a sudden comes out like he's got a new album, and a lot of people go to an island, I think it was an island, to where he is or his resort. So listen to his album, his single, his new single, which is very good, which is real anticlimactic, actually. Anyway, and weird stuff happens, but it's a kind of weird thing. And John Malkovich being a bit really kind of playing a really eccentric character, which he plays really well.
Dan: Yeah, he's brilliant, John Malkovich.
Gav: Some people might like the film. Checkout Trader wasn't really for me. It was OK. It had no payoff, to be honest with you.
Dan: Very quickly, other movies that came out, Scythe part of the movie, Say What You Will, really changed things. The way that animation can be really made for adults with all the swearing and the sex jokes and stuff like that. The Iron Giant was a big game changer, and one of Vin Diesel's first proper films. He voiced the Iron Giant in that. That was a great movie. The Blair Witch Project, Jesus Christ, what a game changer that was for horror, and the found footage genre. It was really the one that put found footage back on the map. There had been a couple of films over the last 20 years, but this was the one that was like, you can make a film really cheap, and it can be fucking great and scary. American Pie, okay, it hasn't aged well, but my God, we got those kind of dick and fart joke movies came back in force because of American Pie.
Gav: I think you're going slightly off-topic, but I get what you're saying, though.
Dan: I'm just saying 99. I just want to say 99 was brilliant. Sleepy Hollow, Austin Powers, Deep Blue Sea, Star Wars Episode I, The Phantom Menace, The Mummy. That's just a handful of them. I just wanted to say, this is why, my point being, this is why Stir Of Echoes got lost in the mix, because it was a fantastic fit, and it is a fantastic film, but it couldn't compete against some of those films I've just mentioned, some of those grind breaking films.
Gav: It's quite a lot of films. You could, I've done it myself. I've gone back to films where, at the time, I dismissed it and didn't even go and watch it. Like, say Cliffhanger, for example. I didn't watch that till not that long ago. And things like that, because I kind of, at the time, was like, there's so many good shit coming out, like you say, why should I bother watching it? And then you go back now, and you go back to your favorite actors or whatever, and sometimes in their prime, you're like, oh great, I've never seen this film. I mean, that's a pretty decent movie. So it's like a nice little treasure.
Dan: Yeah, I mean, my biggest one was always, weirdly, I only saw it about 10 years ago for the first time, Trainspotting. I only saw it about 10 years ago for the first time. How crazy is that? Everyone was like, I can't believe I haven't seen it.
Gav: Yeah, I understand.
Dan: I just didn't really want to see it because everyone was telling me to see it. And then I saw it and I was like, okay, it's really good. It's not one I want to hurry back to and I've probably seen it twice now maybe, but yeah, but we all we have these gaps in our, you know, this film Stir Of Echoes.
Gav: I didn't mind this movie. I know someone like to say Sarah. She I think she's pretty sure. Yeah, she did. What did we watch this cover? And she was like, yeah, so, you know, she's probably not going to watch it again. I don't mind this. I come back to every once in a while and go, actually, I'm going to watch this, but not all the time. And if it's on Teddy, I might just watch a bit of it for a while. You know, I've not watched Teddy, but, you know, for example, I don't go back to all the time, but it is a fun film and it kind of really fits in that sixth sense of world of the late 90s supernatural horror.
Dan: Yeah, it was one of my favorite performances from Kevin Bacon because he plays, he's almost like the dad in Close Encounters in this. He gets hold of something, do you know what I mean? And he starts digging up the back garden and you know.
Gav: Well, let's get into the movie.
Dan: Yeah, I'm just sort of saying this is one of my favorite roles of his, that's all. It's creepy, but not too creepy. And it's got, it's well written. It's almost a thriller, but not.
Gav: I really enjoy the opening of a kid breaking a fourth wall, looking at the camera, talking, I really enjoy this. I really like the opening for the audience to come in to it. Let's say like, we're talking to you from the other side. I really like that.
Dan: Yeah, his little boy in the bath, Jake, Kevin Bacon's son.
Gav: Sorry, I've done some rattling here. He's not talking to us because the camera does move past him to show he's talking to someone who we can't see in a room. But it opens like that, which is really nice.
Dan: Yeah, he's sort of saying, what? Okay. But why? No, I don't want to. Yeah. Okay. Is it cold where you are? And he's sort of saying all these sort of things like this. And you think straight away, you're like, okay, this is creepy. Kevin Bacon's in the other room, doesn't really notice.
Gav: Yeah. Off camera, we have Kevin Bacon sort of say, yeah, your bath's ready. And he's getting kids like, yeah, cool. Then just looks back to the camera and just says, does it hurt to be dead? And it's like, oh, that's such a great opening. You can read that as a script. That little bit, that little line, you'd be like, oh, hoot.
Dan: And again, kids in horror films, if it's done right, and all it takes is one line, you know, and famously, you know, I see dead people and there's a few lines from the kid in this, actually.
Gav: Well, that, talk to me, where the voice changes. And I remember being in the States, actually, at the time when this trailer came out and we watched it on TV, we were all like, on the hotel room, we were all like, whoa! You know?
Dan: Yeah, it's creepy. The other is there's another one with creepy kids in it, which I like. So later on, the kid, you know, he's saying, oh, go to bed now, off, that's fine. And Kevin Bacon goes downstairs and his sister-in-law is there, and he doesn't really get on very well with, he calls her a witch because she's a hypnotist. And she kind of spurts out to him, your wife's pregnant, my sister's pregnant. And he's like, really? And she's like, yeah. And he goes, great. And he looks really not happy about it at all.
Gav: Yeah, well, it's one of those things as a dad or a non-dad, when you discover you're going to be a dad, and it's not essentially a planned thing all the time. And I'm like, whoa, okay.
Dan: But the interesting thing about his character is he plays the macho man who is a bit grumpy and disgruntled, but actually he's quite sad. And he's in a band, we'll find out in a bit. And he always thought he'd be a bit bigger or a bit better than he is. And all he is is a guy that fixes telephone lines. He's married to a wife and got a kid. He's a normal person, but he's just a bit sad about it.
Gav: Yeah, he felt like he was going to achieve something. And, you know, there's a lot of people who have been there and done that and had that and then come to realize that their life is mowing the lawn, doing the normal sort of stuff. And it can be quite hard to go down to realization. And that's what it is. But at the same time, no, it doesn't actually stop you being able to do stuff. It's just you've got to change your mind way of thinking. But him realizing he's going to be a dad again makes him just cement him furthermore for being a normal person. And that's why he's going, oh, where he should be more happy.
Dan: Yeah, he does say to his wife, Maggie, look, I am happy.
Gav: Later on, yeah, he explains.
Dan: Yeah, you know, it's just I thought I didn't know. And she says, so what you're saying is our life is born. He's like, no, no, no, no, I'm just and it's really good acting here. He just looks at me and says, I just didn't expect to be so ordinary.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, totally. It's quite good. It's a nice instruction to these guys and their character OX. But it does make out with him a bit of a dick from the get go. But yeah, but we as we peel the layers away later on him doing that, he ends up being a parent to a child who's died, essentially. And doing the redemption of him not wanting to be looking after a child, he then goes and goes, I'm going to look after this dead child and recover it and just put a payment on that. So I think he does have a fatherly figure in that in a certain sense.
Dan: That's interesting. And also his actions will ultimately, I guess, make him bit of the hero of the town by the end of the movie as well. So he does completely redeem himself.
Gav: Not really redeem himself from anything evil either. He's just made an off passing comment of non or not even past comment. Just not showing happiness about being a father.
Dan: He's just a bit the same.
Gav: It's not. It's not a dick. He's not being a dick. We don't know more. And we obviously do learn more. So it's not redeeming that much, but it is still redemption.
Dan: He's lucky. He's got an amazing wife. She loves him and she supports him with his band and his normal job.
Gav: What is up with this fucking street and street parties and shit all the time?
Dan: I want to talk to you about that.
Gav: Everybody just fuck off. I want a night in doing nothing.
Dan: Yeah, well, we'll get on to that in a minute, because, yeah, there is a street party every two days in this little town. It's fucking crazy. We get a little insert of Jake's baby monitor and you hear him shush someone in the baby monitor. Always creepy when you get a little baby monitor.
Gav: When you make deadbolt films, go on YouTube. There's a short film about a baby monitor. It's called The Monitor. Do you check that out? Monitor. They have put some teas in there.
Dan: So they all decide to go to this party. They leave Jake alone in the house.
Gav: They take a baby monitor and they're over the road with a baby monitor. So it's OK. We know that this thing happens and doesn't happen. Sometimes can go bad. So it's best not to do that, really, is it?
Dan: Yeah. I was thinking about this, though, and I was thinking when me and Alice used to drink, we'd go in the garden right at the back on the deck in with the baby monitor and you could hear the baby monitor from there. And we were in the house. I guess it's different to be still on the property here. They cross over and go into a house party.
Gav: Yeah. They tightly leave the property. Yeah.
Dan: They just leave their boy sleeping, unknown that their parents are partying, his parents are partying away.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: But at this party, you know, we get some good banter. We meet a few people, including Kevin Dunn, who plays Frank. Everybody kind of knows everybody, similar to Tremors. It's a small little community in this little area. Everybody seems to know everybody. And there's a banter. There's a guy who's the landlord of Kevin Bacon's house. He rents and he owns several properties in the area. And that he'll come back late and big time later on. And so it's just people chatting and having good time drinking and trying to hit on people and stuff like that. And later on, Tom steps outside with the baby we want to just to check on Jake and he feels a bit sad. And then on the way home, he's talking to Lisa and they go back for a bit of an after party. Lisa's his sister-in-law and he's a bit drunk. And he says, oh, come on then, hypnotize me, you know? She's like, oh, I'm not gonna hypnotize you, you're drunk. And he's like, no, do me, do me, go on, hypnotize me. I really wanna see it happen. And she's like, all right, well, if you really want me to, I will. And she's told this story about how she's hypnotized people in the past and cut them and told them not to bleed. And they don't. And then she says, now bleed when I click my fingers, they bleed. And he's like, this is all bullshit.
Gav: As just before she hypnotizes him, the camera from a technical side, point of view, from my point of view of this, the camera, I love the fact you got a couple of cameras, slowed down. There's a couple of, there's loads of people, you know, end of the night party, everyone's a bit drunk, they're all sitting wherever, all around the place. There's a couple of people at a table knelt down. They slowly move out as the camera goes past them and goes up to Kevin Bacon right up to his face. And it's a really nice action to get us to go into the hypnotizing. So I feel like this film with the camera work, especially the child looking earlier on with the direction, I really feel they're trying to make it really inclusive for the audience member.
Dan: Good show. And I must say, the hypnotizing scenes are really well done and quite original from compared to other movies that have got a scene where someone's hypnotized.
Gav: Oh, when she goes to hypnotize him, it turns into a fucking David Lynch movie. All of a sudden, he's in a chair floating in the black room, just floating along. So that's nothing that wouldn't be hard to do in any way. But that just looks fucking cool as shit.
Dan: Yeah, it's really not in. I wouldn't expect that in this film.
Gav: Yeah, it looks fucking great. She says to him, he goes towards, he's essentially a cinema screen. It was his chair, but he goes towards a cinema screen, floats towards us, right? And so David Lynch.
Dan: She says, there's some words on the screen. You can't make them out. They're blurry. Keep reading, keep reading. And they say sleep. And then the word sleep appears on the cinema screen. And then he has this crazy succession of visions and nightmares all within three or four seconds of someone with a plastic bag over their head, someone screaming, someone trying to run away, a hand with a nail coming off of it. And then he wakes up and he's got tears running down his face. And everyone in the party is like, wow, fucking hell, Tom. And he's like, what? What happened? Did you put me under? She's like, yeah, you're one of the 8%. And he's like, what does that mean? She says, oh, you're one of the 8% who's like fully susceptible to hypnotism. And they're all sort of saying, you were talking about you're a childhood bully and crying. And he's like, what, what the hell? And he goes in the kitchen and necks a beer because she's a man. And he's sort of like, they even say to him, well, we stabbed you with a pin, told you to bleed on command. And you did, like, it's the most pliable I've ever seen you.
Gav: Yeah, she just says, you're fucking really good at going under. Have you been hypnotized?
Dan: No, I've never been hypnotized.
Gav: I've been hypnotized. I'm not, yeah, a couple of times. I'm not very good. I used to have a little bit of therapy for something, and I'm not very good at going under. But one time I did go under enough because my broke my mind, but just won't let it. You can't break it. It's just what it's like. How are you so insomniac lots and stuff? I just just can't will not break my mind. It's like a weird thing, you know. But one time I did, and I kind of just floated out a chair. The only other time this happened was Amsterdam.
Dan: We've all been there in Amsterdam.
Gav: I floated out a chair and I looked down. I could sort of see myself. And that's kind of a little bit weird.
Dan: Wow. What was it like being under? Was it like a dream that you were there?
Gav: Yeah, I was still very conscious to start with, but kind of not, but was.
Dan: Yeah. I mean, I think of like get out as well as a good scene for somebody being hypnotized. But I don't think I would ever want to be hypnotized, to be honest, even if I was like a heavy smoker or had a substance addiction. I'm not sure if I'd want someone to do that to me because I've heard that when it goes wrong and you can uncover repressed memories and all that kind of stuff. And I just think whatever's locked away in my mind probably is best that it's locked away. Let me crack on. I don't really want to be that vulnerable. Do you know what I mean? Maybe if it was just like one person in a room, like a professional, but he's at a party with everyone drunk. Do you know what I mean?
Gav: I don't really want to do it. It's the best situation. But yeah, he comes out, she says, you're fucking really good at going under. And then he's like, I feel strange. Can we go home? And she's like, his wife's like, yeah, no worries. So they go home.
Dan: Yeah. And he's in bed and he just can't sleep. He dreams about the cinema.
Gav: Sex Pest Wife. My God.
Dan: Well, just before that, when he's having these crazy visions and they show a pin going through someone's hand, the webbing of someone's hand like the other side, little bit of trivia for you, that was real. They paid someone to come in and have a pin shoved through the webbing of their hand, just for that little shot.
Gav: Yeah, I might do that.
Dan: Imagine that, 150 quid gav, Kevin Bacon film, gonna just put a pin through the webbing of your fingers, is that right?
Gav: Yeah, I might do it.
Dan: Then you can say you're in a kevin, that's your six degrees done then. Yeah. Just for that. That's probably why he did it.
Gav: Undergree. Yeah, it is a dream. It's a dream. And then basically wakes up and his wife's there and she just goes and grabs a bit of the bacon pork.
Dan: She grabs some bacon, gives it a pull.
Gav: Starts tugging him off and they start kissing there, fair enough. But then as she gets into it, because she's really horny, she jumps on him and starts to end it. He starts seeing the stuff in the nightmare. And I was, oh, fucking hell, flashes. Oh, he actually says to her, stop twice. She ignores that and just carries on going, rape.
Dan: Then he pushes her off and says, look, I'm seeing weird visions and things. I'm not in the mood. She's like, she's still got her hand on his bacon. She says, well, you could have told you could have fooled me. It feels like you're in the mood.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: He's like, I've said no, please.
Gav: Yeah. If it was the other way around, how that would look and it's just like, I'd never really noticed it and I was like, whoa. Later on, she does say in chaos as well. I can't remember what it is. She's like, calm down woman, for fuck's sake. Yeah.
Dan: Well, she's pregnant and apparently, pregnant women can be very horny in the first few months.
Gav: She even says to him, I'm seeing weird things. She says, I can show you weird.
Dan: She does.
Gav: What does that mean?
Dan: It means she's going to tickle his bacon with her strap on.
Gav: What's she going to do? She looks so straight in the wall. It's always the quiet ones.
Dan: It is. Yeah. He sees visions of blood and stuff like that and teeth. So he goes in the bathroom.
Gav: It's a poltergeist.
Dan: It is a poltergeist scene, isn't it? He takes some pills and he looks in the mirror and he's got blood in his mouth. And then he pulls out one of his own teeth, spits it down the drain. And then he sort of comes to and it was just a vision. And he's looking in the mirror like, my teeth are OK. What the fuck's going on? So he goes downstairs and he keeps having more visions and more visions of someone in handcuffs. And then there's a brilliant ghost scan because he's on the sofa, middle of the night, just the TV static. And he leans back and as he leans back, the camera just shows that there's a girl sat on the sofa and he jumps. And it gets me as well, because I come back to this every five or six years and it makes me jump every time. It's a great little jumpscare.
Gav: Imagine the cinema audience is the average person. Cinema goers would probably love that jumpscare.
Dan: And then we get my favorite little interaction between him and his son, which is he looks around and he sees his son at the top of the stairs.
Gav: He's a creepy kid.
Dan: He's half thinking, am I still asleep or what? And his son says to him, you're awake now, daddy. Now, initially, you think he means, oh, you're awake now. It's like, you should be up now. But then he means your mind is awake to something out. And then he just puts his hand on his dad's shoulder and says, don't be afraid of it, daddy. And it's like, OK, this is shining now, because this kid has got the shining and his dad has just opened his mind to it as well.
Gav: It does turn into the shining later on.
Dan: Yeah, that's what I said.
Gav: We get a scat man of light come along.
Dan: We do, yeah. This is more in common with the shining or the changeling as well. Yeah, for obvious reasons than it is with the Six Degrees Of Echoes. I don't think it's fair to compare it to the Six Degrees Of Echoes. In the morning, he tells his wife, I saw a girl on the sofa and his wife's quite open. She's like, well, you know, I don't really know what to tell you, really.
Gav: So basically, just give me some dig.
Dan: You can see whoever you want on the sofa. If you want to get a third person in, Kev, we can do it. That's what you're up to. So he decides he's going to call his sister-in-law and ask her about this. A great shot here of him on the phone to his sister-in-law.
Gav: I like it. I like the fact that this dude is his job. But all of a sudden now, this opened up the world so the people who do that job could just make phone calls to wherever they want, whenever they want.
Dan: He's up like a hundred foot telephone pole.
Gav: He's doing some work up there. He's just tapped into the telephone line, just giving her a call. I was like, that's so cool.
Dan: And he says to his sister, did you sister-in-law, did you do something to me when I was under? What have you done? And she was like, well, I just, you know, and he's like, well, what, what the fuck do you do?
Gav: You're poking around in there. You say closed-minded. I thought you'd just be like, just be a bit more open-minded.
Dan: So she said, so I opened your mind. And he's like, what the fuck does that mean? Like, Jesus Christ.
Gav: What an idiot. What woman thinks, oh, I feel like you're just a bit like, you know, you don't really do much of that. So actually, while you're hitting it, I was going to say, you're now open to everything. That is such a jump. Surely you should know this shit, woman. Doing this stuff.
Dan: She doesn't tell him, it's a bit unfair.
Gav: But she should know that that's a big thing to, yeah, maybe, maybe, I'll tell you what, our sister put up to it. I want some real freaky shit, say to make him open for everything. And then I will show him fucking weird.
Dan: I'll give him a, I'll put a thumb in his bum.
Gav: That's not weird for what she's thinking. She's got all sorts going on.
Dan: Well, Maggie calls Lisa straight after her sister and says, I need you to babysit. Jake's talking to himself in the background, sort of saying, OK, yeah, sure. All right. OK. And then she says, I can't babysit tonight, Maggie. I'm really sorry. She's like, I don't know what to do. And then Jake says, Debbie. And she's like, why don't you say Debbie? Call and he gives her a random name. So she calls somebody up and says, Debbie? And the person says, oh, yeah, yeah. Um, my daughter, Debbie, can babysit for you. And then he says, she says to her son, how did you know about that? And he just says, Samantha told me.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And he's been getting these messages from somebody who we now know is called Samantha. So Debbie, the babysitter slash kidnapper, shows up to babysit Jake. Tom recognizes her, he looks at her and thinks, I feel weird. I'm not sure why I got a weird feeling about you.
Gav: But when she comes in, though, she's just looking around and she looks, this is so great. She looks over to Kevin Bacon, who looks at her and he's just looking, she's just looking, she's just like, weird, oh, and she must be like, what the fuck's up with this guy? Why does he keep looking like that? Is he going to try and fritzel me in the basement?
Dan: Jesus Christ. Well, they leave her to look after Jake, and they go to, Gab, it's another party.
Gav: I know.
Dan: This time, this time it's a sporting event.
Gav: This is, this is, I just, I, I've got the someone, a friend of mine, his girlfriend, just follow on Facebook, you know, they, they, they, she goes out and does stuff all the time as fuck. Every time it's like, fuck, is this, we're doing this, we're all getting together, having a drink, oh, my good dress, I'm fancy dressed, do this, and tonight we're watching this. And I look at the pictures, and I live my life through this person. That's me going out. I can look at the pictures quickly and go, oh, that's cool, I look a bit bored, I'm bored now. Cool, turn it off, Facebook off, I'm home again, it's brilliant.
Dan: Well, Kevin Bacon is walking through the crowd with his buddy, Frank, Kevin Dunn, and everyone's drinking, and they're all in big crowd, queuing to get into this big ball game. But his eyes keep getting drawn to red lights of cars, and he's feeling dizzy, he's feeling sick, not feeling great. We cut back briefly to Debbie, and she's got the baby monitor near her, and she hears some commotion on the baby monitor, and she thinks, that's strange, I'll go and check out what's going on there. Then we cut back to Tom chatting to Frank, and they're drinking, and they're just getting ready to go in, but Tom's like, I don't really want to go, I think I might have to go home. And Frank's like, hey, come on, just have another drink, it's all good.
Gav: And he's getting these flashes of red light with the sound design, sort of sound as he sees a flash of red light. I quite like it.
Dan: Yeah, it reminds me of times you sort of zoned out if you've like spoke too much weed or something like that. Do you know what I mean? It's kind of a bit like, it's pretty cool. Debbie continues to hear noises. So this is quite good.
Gav: Remember, we've got a babysitter and it's a supernatural movie, and the babysitter is listening to the monitor, then all of a sudden the breathing stops. She's like, all of a sudden the kid stops breathing. So she's like, everyone's listening for breathing. Then all of a sudden, it's them talking. So she's like, who the fuck is he talking to? It's always such a scary thing.
Dan: She hears him say, you're scaring me, Spunther. No, she's downstairs.
Gav: No, I'm not going to. No, I haven't seen her yet, he says. And so that woman must be like, what the fuck? Who the fuck is this kid talking to? If the kid's talking like that anyway, that's creepy enough, you know.
Dan: So she walks in his room and says, who are you talking to? And the first thing he says to her is, Samantha says it's dark where she is. Now, Samantha, it turns out, is Debbie's sister, who's gone missing a while ago.
Gav: So she's like, what did you say?
Dan: And he says, Samantha says it's dark where she is. She's like, how do you know Samantha? How do you know Samantha? She gets really angry with him, and starts grabbing him.
Gav: That's not true, grabs the kid, yeah.
Dan: Tom almost has like a Peter Parker Spider sense.
Gav: It's because now he's opened up, he actually, whatever reason, can feel that something's happening to his kid. Presumably, that's what's happened.
Dan: He literally turns on the spot and starts running home. Luckily, all the parties happen on their street. Even the ball game is happening at the end of their street. So it only takes him five minutes to run home. He gets in, he can't find Jake anywhere. He says to Maggie, his wife, I can't find it. We gotta search for him. So they start running around, searching. And again, his spider sense kicks in and it ends up taking him to the train station. And he sees Debbie holding Jake, trying to get on a train or something, he thinks. Actually, she was going there to see her mum, who works at the train station, to say like, this boy knows where my sister is, where your other daughter is. All he sees is the babysitter is taking the son and thinks he's going to put her on the she's going to take him on a train somewhere, kidnap him.
Gav: It does look very much like a kidnapping.
Dan: So he snatches his son back.
Gav: And this is where it's quite a big, more budgeted film, just doing the whole train station, it costs loads of money.
Dan: Yeah, there's a quite chunk of exposition here as well, which is good because the cops get involved.
Gav: Think about it, this film's got fucking tons of extras, there's the football game, the train stations, loads of extras in this, all the fucking parties.
Dan: Yeah. The cops are like, what's going on? And Kevin's like, well, this woman was babysitting my kid, but she's taken him and brought him to the train station. And she's like, well, hang on a minute, the reason I'm here is because this is my mom, she works here at the train station and your son's been telling me about Samantha. And then his wife's like, we're gonna press charges. And he's like, no, no, no, it's fine, it's fine, we're not going to press charges, let's all just go.
Gav: Which makes it well sketchy because they're like the police, like, do you know about any show? You wake up and it's like, no, no, I don't know her. And it's like, obviously lying. If you're any sort of police cop or detective and your job is basically to check that shit out, you're like, he's lying and shit. And it makes him so sketchy that he goes, no, I know you kid that my kid abroad to train station, but let's go leave it, go home. Come on, love, let's go home now.
Dan: Well, the reason he does that is because Debbie pulls out a photo of her and her sister and the girl in the photo.
Gav: Yeah, I know, I know, he was, but it just makes him look like fucking sketchy shit. Like he did actually have an involvement in a number of disappearance. That's what it looks like.
Dan: Exactly, and he tells, he sees that it was Samantha, the girl that he saw on the sofa. So he walks back with Maggie and Jake home and he says to Maggie, he actually says to his wife, you know, that was the ghost girl I saw and his wife is so open about it as well. That's what I like about this movie is that everyone is just quite open to it. It's not like, oh, whatever, there's no such thing as ghost.
Gav: She just wants to dig though.
Dan: She does, to be honest, she'll tell him whatever. They get home and they start questioning Jake and Kevin Bacon's really sort of manic. He said, oh, come on, come on, what's going on? You know, this girl Samantha, how often do you speak to her?
Gav: He's really erratic here. There's like some almost mental health shit going on there. The way he's talking to her.
Dan: And this is where Jake sort of shuts down and says, I don't want to talk about it. And then he turns around and says, talk to me, talk to me in a really weird, deep voice, because it's just his voice. So Tom's like, say that again. Use that voice again. Do it again. It's almost going down the sort of exorcist route a little bit here.
Gav: But what's the next scene of the movie?
Dan: Um, well, Tom. Well, he says, I don't want to talk about it because it scares mummy, and he just completely shuts down. So Tom stays up late on his own and tries to recreate the ghost on the sofa again.
Gav: Oh, I was going to say next scene, but what's the next day? It's another party.
Dan: Yeah, yeah. So he stays up all night trying to recreate the moment. And there's some great fake outs where he keeps leaning back. You expect to see the ghost girl on the sofa, but she doesn't reappear. And yeah, you're right. The next day, it's a huge, big drink party. In this time, it's in the day. So they're having a party all day long drinking.
Gav: You've got to be like, this is like the past week. There's been three massive social events. I know what everyone's doing already every day, what everyone's up to, what they're eating, what they're drinking, everything is supposed to be. I want some time alone.
Dan: I don't even know what this party's for. It's just a street party and everyone's eating barbecue food in the street and drinking. They're celebrating something, but I couldn't tell you what.
Gav: No, no.
Dan: Maybe they're just happy to be living in their neighborhood. This is great, let's have another party.
Gav: I like the sentiment of being happy and enjoying life, but you know.
Dan: Well, Lisa, the sister-in-law, talks to her sister Maggie, the wife, and she starts crying. And she says, look, Tom acted mental last night. Jake, he says he's seeing a girl, a ghost girl. She's like, Jesus Christ, I knew he'd cheat on you, but not with a dead girl. She's like really blunt about the way things she says. She's like, I'm joking. Jesus, I'm your sister, can I tell a joke?
Gav: You've got that accent down quite well, by the way.
Dan: Tom, Tom, Kevin Bacon starts questioning people in the neighborhood. He says, do you guys remember anyone called Samantha? They're like, oh yeah, the R word. They use the R word. The R word girl, yeah, she ran away. She was nuts. And they're like, did she run away? And then Kevin Dunn comes over and says, don't ever say that word. You shouldn't use that. And he just completely distracts the conversation and changes the subject by almost having a fight with someone. Almost like he's covering something up, Kev. Yeah. Then we get, we find out now that it's about a week later and Tom has been not going to work. He's been sleeping for 12 hours in the day, not leaving the house. He's been staying up all night trying to reconnect with this ghost girl.
Gav: Yeah, he's having some sort of fucking autism, tunnel vision going on.
Dan: He asks Frank about it and Frank acts really weird and he just walks off, like I said, and tries to distract the situation. When he gets home, he just starts searching the house. You don't know what he's searching for, Tom. Then he sees Frank or a vision of Frank who says, they were going to kill you Tom, you and Maggie.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And then walks out of the room and Tom's like, why would you say that? And he follows him out and Frank's not there. And it's like a premonition, which he's starting to have more and more of now. So he starts to feel really freaky. He goes to speak to Frank's wife, knocks on the door, and Frank's son's in there with a gun.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And he kills himself. Then he wakes up, Tom wakes up, and it was all like a premonition, a dream.
Gav: It was.
Dan: Is it the insomnia setting? And I'm not sure. No, it's not, because once again, one of his shoes is under the sofa, like it was in the premonition. There's a note on the mirror from his wife saying, I've taken Jake to the park and everything he's just had in the vision is happening again.
Gav: There's no final destination, isn't it?
Dan: It is indeed. Yeah. So he goes to Frank's house again. This time he hears a gunshot.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And he breaks the window and he runs in and he finds that the son has killed himself. So obviously he shouts, help, help, help. And the cops and the ambulance turn up and the parents are upset and the brother of the boy is upset and they take the body away. Well, actually, he's not dead, but he did a bloody good job almost killing himself with a gun. So this is the talk of the neighborhood at the moment now. You know, why would this boy who was like a quarterback and amazing athlete and student do this? You know, it's crazy. We see Jake and Maggie, the boy going for a walk now, and Jake starts speaking to the statues in the graveyard saying, well, hello there. Little Obi-Wan.
Gav: Like, creepy son, can you come over here and start talking to the graveyard with Grey Saints, please? Well, hello there.
Dan: And then he hears some bagpipes, and he says, watch that music, it's beautiful. And he goes in and there's a military funeral happening.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: And a creepy cop waves at him. Officer Scatman, let's call him.
Gav: I thought, because he kind of looks over and his mom's like, oh yeah, we shouldn't be here, come back. And the kids are so intriguingly looking at what's going on. And it's a policeman's funeral. He's a policeman, all very neat standing there. And this kid, this man just looks back over the kid and just does a couple of fingers down both sides, just waves. And I thought that was it. And I thought, that's actually quite nice touch, little touch for the movie. Just this policeman go, hey, little kid, it's okay. I know it's a graveyard and that, but it's not. They're actually talking to each other. We don't know that. We're having a shining moment. We don't know this yet.
Dan: Is it against...
Gav: Dib-dab, dib-dab, dib-dab-dab-dab-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-dib-d. We're starting all of a sudden, there's cops just following them. Like, oh man, what's this guy up to? Like, if this was a different movie, is this a serial killer, you know?
Dan: He says, it's a really cool conversation. He says, your boy's quite gifted. And she's like, yeah. He says, he's got the X-ray eyes, if you know what I mean. Is that from you or his dad? And she says, not me, and he says his dad must have the gift as well. So she's now thinking, well, so this is definitely real, then, like this shining thing.
Gav: It's such a coincidence. In the last week, her husband had this opening, and all of a sudden this policeman just happens to be here, and it's all coming around together nicely.
Dan: He says to her, send your husband to come and see me, and I'll help him to unlock his gift.
Gav: Oh, yeah. You want to unlock Bacon's gift? She's like, yeah, no worries. I know we're going to get to it. Later on, she does go back there by herself. He's like, I told you to bring him. Why are you here?
Dan: Yeah, and all the guys inside.
Gav: All the guys in the back going, shut the door. This isn't a freak show.
Dan: Maybe it is. We see Bacon strumming on his guitar.
Gav: We see Bacon strumming.
Dan: He's there trying to remember these chords that are in his head for some reason. Jake helps him and he plucks these chords. It's the start of a song and he's like, I recognize that song. This is another mashed potato mountain from the Place and Count in this moment. He then starts going through all of his tapes and eight tracks trying to find this song that's in his head. He can't figure out why it's in his head. What's his song?
Gav: His wife takes a knife, a small knife of her and she says, I'm going out now. Small?
Dan: Small knife? It's a fucking big knife.
Gav: Okay. She's like, I'm going out now and they pretty much ignore it. She goes, see you later then, fine, bye.
Dan: She says she's going to the cinema, but she's actually going to Scatman. Scatman Crothers. I was going to say Scatman John.
Gav: What for a Scatman class is that from 7 to 8.30? I said, Josh, I'll show you weird.
Dan: That's lesson one while she's blow jobbing.
Gav: I'm going to show you a Scatman. Oh, no, it's not.
Dan: Scat means something else.
Gav: Yeah, that's where she's getting weird. She's probably got to understand. When she said Scatman, she's like, I'm sure I'm weird. I'm going to go learn about this stuff. Got to know what the hell this is.
Dan: It's poor old Kevin Bacon's having these nightmares.
Gav: What did you think it was?
Dan: She's taking a big shit on his chest while he's having to sleep. This isn't what I wanted. I want to hear the story about that. What? Do you want to hear the story about shitting?
Gav: Ah, how disgusting is that? Haven't you told you have told a shit story before? Have I? You've told me a number of shit stories with a girl, I think it was as well.
Dan: Yeah, well, someone I know met a girl in a bar drunkenly and took her back to his and she was on top and it was going really well. And then she started turning around and he thought, Oh, looks like we're getting some reverse carry girl action here. Fantastic. And then she just did a big poop on him.
Gav: You need to open up a dialogue beforehand.
Dan: He pushed her off of him, flicked it off of his chest onto the floor and his housemates were like, What the hell is going on in Gareth's room?
Gav: Oh yeah, he's probably freaking out, shouting.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Oh my God. How embarrassing for a woman.
Dan: We all said, he told us about it about a week later in the program. Exactly what you said. I said, like, but that's not the sort of thing you do on a first night stand, surely? Like, what are the chances of the person who's pulled you in the bar is going to be into that? On the first night, you kind of warm up to that kind of thing, right? I don't know. Maybe he had shit on me on him or something. I don't know. Anyway, look, she doesn't go to the cinema. She goes to the Scatman Club, like you said, she knocks on the door, the sidekick opens door, and he has quite right as you said, says, you're not the husband. We told you to send the husband. She's like, I want answers and I want them now. So she tells this guy whose name is Neil about Tom, and he says, look, I can tell you a little bit about it. All I can really tell you is these ghosts need help. So he's got to help the girl. He's got to help the girl ghost. That's all I can really tell you without speaking to him.
Gav: Can we change your movies of ghosts from now on to goats?
Dan: Goats. Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore, Goat. Who you going to call? What are the films of what ghost in the title though?
Gav: I'm not sure.
Dan: Goatship.
Gav: Goat. Goatship.
Dan: Loaded goats at the beginning get beheaded. Yeah. Goatship. I've watched Goatship.
Gav: I don't want to see those goats get beheaded. That'd be awful. Humans are right.
Dan: Yeah, that's fine. So back at home, we start seeing this ghost of Samantha. She's behind Maggie in the mirror. They don't see her obviously. And she's not sort of creeping around. She's watching Maggie have a bath. Tom's still searching for this song. Samantha appears as a ghost on the TV. She's not talking to Jake.
Gav: She's such a bitch. This ghost is such a cow. Maggie's making a bath for boiling hot water. The ghost comes along, puts the finger in the water, turns it freezing cold. Ah, you bitch. Your bath's cold. And she just goes, Kevin Bacon, yeah, something's wrong with the plumbing. Hang on, a minute ago, you checked in, it's boiling hot, because you went, ooh, you're not thinking of something wrong here. That's not the plumbing, you know.
Dan: Well, the ghost is also a bitch, because poor old Jake's trying to watch some kind of like Sesame Street. Yeah, just keeps flipping it over. And then she turns it over to the Mummy, Curse Of The Mummy, the Universal movie. And he's like, I don't want to watch it, as my mum said I shouldn't, and it's scary. So he turns it over. She then puts Night Of The Living Dead on every channel for him. Every channel he changes it to, Night Of The Living Dead's on, and he's like, no, no, no, even unplugs it and it still comes back on. So Samantha really wants to get a point across, doesn't she?
Gav: And the ghost takes a bowl belt I've got here. What's that? I like bowls.
Dan: Yeah, so because the boiler is out, and because Kevin Bacon's busy with his headphones when trying to find a song, Maggie's like, oh, I'll go down to the basement then, and I'll fix the boiler.
Gav: That's right, and bust the light, yeah.
Dan: Yeah, so the bowl gets blown, and she bumps her head while she's down there. Maggie, she's got a bit of blood on her head. She comes back upstairs, and Tom has another vision. This time, he's wrapped in a sheet, and he just goes pale, and you can see all of his veins, and he freezes with his hand out in the vision, and it's because he's in his own house, but everything in the house is wrapped in plastic as well. And then we see it from Maggie's point of view, she climbs out of the basement, expecting to sort of say, fucking hell, Tom, I bumped my head, it's bleeding. The boiler's gone off, the light bulb's blown. But instead, she just sees him frozen. He hasn't breathed for like two minutes. So she grabs him, and he sort of goes, ehh, and collapses on the floor, and sort of is having a bit weird sort of seizure. And she's like, what's going on? What's going on? And he's like, I had a vision, everything in the house was wrapped in plastic. Now, in his vision, we do see Samantha come towards him, and they use this really amazing frame rate, don't they, to make her act like-
Gav: Oh, well, the jolted, jolted sort of walking.
Dan: But they do it differently on this.
Gav: I don't know, I didn't catch it. I generally roll my eyes to that effect, to be honest.
Dan: I know, but what they did in this one was they asked the actress to walk really, really, really slowly, but as normally as she could. Oh, yeah, yeah. Then they sped it up to the normal pace. So it just seemed a little bit-
Gav: It is a little bit better, but I still don't like that shit.
Dan: Yeah. Meanwhile, we see Debbie, the girl that tried to kidnap Jake, putting up posters saying, missing, my sister Samantha, have you seen her? So we're still reminded that this girl is still missing. But obviously we know and Tom knows that she's dead. But the family's still hoping that she's only missing. Tom speaks to his sister in law, Lisa, and says, Get this shit out my head, woman. Yeah, he says, de-hypnotize me immediately. Make it stop. And she's like, OK, Tom, I'm going to be honest with you, I'm really fucking stoned right now. Because he bursts in her eyes.
Gav: And her mates are going, What the fuck's going on? And she has to say to her mate, You're going to have to leave. And her mate's like, What the fuck?
Dan: Yeah. And he says, Shut the door in my brain that you've opened. So she's like, All right, OK, OK. So imagine that you're really super stoned with your friend and Kevin Bacon bursts in and says, I'm seeing ghosts. Fucking get this shit out of my head.
Gav: I'm feeling worse. Fuck off, dude.
Dan: Come back in a couple of hours. Let me have a coffee. So she puts him under again, and she says, Again, you're in a cinema. He says, There's somebody else in the cinema. She's like, No, there's no one else in the cinema. He's like, No, there's somebody else in the cinema. And he can see the back of a girl's head in the cinema. And this time on the screen, it says, Dig, D-I-G in huge letters. Suddenly he's attacked by a girl with one tooth, with a plastic bag over her head. And he wakes up and says, I'm supposed to dig. What?
Gav: It's such a funny thing. I'm going to dig. So it's like a fucking Forrest Gump moment. I decided to just start running.
Dan: That was when I decided to start running. Really overrated film. Can't stand that film.
Gav: I don't mind the film.
Dan: I honestly find it just tedious.
Gav: I watched it in the last couple of years.
Dan: And I love Tom Hanks.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, yeah, fine.
Dan: Later on, Mikey comes home. There's muddy footprints all over the kitchen. It's a bit weird. Where are the boys? Where's my husband and son? They're in the garden. They're doing the burbs. They're digging up the entire back garden. Yeah. He's shirtless, which I was quite pleased about. Kevin Bacon got his shirt off. He looks pretty good, doesn't he?
Gav: Oh, it's all right. His wife. Well, I look at Fizik a lot now. Now going to gym and that. Not saying my own, but that's weird. I just look at general, like different workouts and Fizik's all time. He's all right. His wife's a really decent actor. She's great, by the way.
Dan: Yeah, I mean, both him and her. She's really strong. Yeah, he's acting nuts. She's like...
Gav: I think she's a better actor. I think she's the best actor in this film.
Dan: He says, what the fuck do you think I'm doing? I'm fucking searching for something. And she's like, I'm going to call the police. And he laughs in her face and says, think about how that would play out in your head. You're going to call the police and tell them your husband's stealing the garden. What do you think they're going to say? So she thinks, right, okay, he's right. I can't really call the police.
Gav: When she sees this, because I've had a mental breakdown, and I not had the problem for a while, but every once in a while, when you have that inkling, it's going to go again. It's just, I remember from doing it for two weeks of having a mental breakdown, it's scary as shit. When she sees him doing that, in my mind straight, where he went to, if this ghost thing wasn't happening, she's just like, fuck, he's having a mental breakdown. And when you have a mental breakdown, things like digging a hole, is the thing which comforts you. And if you find something which comforts you, whatever it is, weird thing, it could be hopefully not alcohol or drugs, and doing that thing. And you could easily perceive this, if you're his wife, as he's having a mental breakdown. And the kid doesn't see it, the kid just thinks it's some fun time. But that's definitely what it looks like for her.
Dan: The kid's just digging with his little tractor.
Gav: Dig, kids are there, brilliant dig.
Dan: If I gave Jack a shovel and said, I'm going to go and dig up the garden, you can dig a little hole over there. He'd be out there for about four days straight. He wouldn't even ask for any food. He'd be just out there like non-stop.
Gav: Like, this is the best. I watched the El Camino movie after Breaking Bad, and it was with Jesse, and they're looking at this house, and they need to go into his house, get these junkies to come out of the house. And he goes, I know what to do. He goes up there and just starts digging in the lawn, and the junkie comes out and says, what are you doing, man? He says, digging. Here's the shovel. The junkie, brilliant, just starts digging, and he just walks into the house. That's amazing.
Dan: Well, they argue, some great acting backwards and forwards between them. He says to her, I've got to tell you, Maggie, this is the most important thing that's ever happened to me. I can't explain why, but I'm not going to stop. So they argue.
Gav: Yeah. So this way, her acting ability really comes into it. And I felt like the whole breakdown thing, I was a bit like, oh, it just feels like a mental breakdown. It feels horrible and I don't want to go there.
Dan: Well, and I honestly, and I think he's just as good in this next moment where she sat at the table.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: He walks up to her with a glass of orange juice, as a peace sign, she doesn't drink it. He says, are you going to drink that? She doesn't answer him. So he necks it. Then he says, I'm really sorry about that. I can't explain it, but I have to dig, I've got to find something. And then she says, oh, sorry, I'm just reading a letter from my brother, my grandmother. She's not very well again. And he says, oh no, she's already, and then he stops himself. Yeah.
Gav: Which is good.
Dan: And then the phone rings.
Gav: I thought that was a really well set up.
Dan: Really good. As the phone rings, she picks up, we know what's going to happen. She says, oh brother, brother, I was just going to just reading your letter about grandma. Oh, she died. When did she die? Yesterday.
Gav: And this is quite cool because obviously, yeah, she's a rubbish. And he knew that she puts a friend out, says, you know, it's quite good. All of a sudden takes her away from, oh, what the fuck's going on with him? With his dig in, back into normality, back to proper real world shit. Your mum's died. And those sisters, no, mum?
Dan: A grandma.
Gav: Grandma's died.
Dan: Who raised her.
Gav: Yeah. OK. So it's more like not sentimental, more emotional to it.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Yeah. So it brings it back. But then straight away flips again. The tables turn straight away where he's like, yeah, I can't come to the grave. I can't come to the fucking funeral.
Dan: I'm not going.
Gav: I've got to dig. I can't ask me to do that. I've got to dig. Like it's like a job and he's got a deadline.
Dan: So she says, so you expect me to go to my grandmother's funeral without just on my own. He's like, yeah, go on your own.
Gav: Yeah, of course. Yeah. What? I can't do it. I've got to dig. It's like he goes into that toe obsession, obsessive thing and he's just like anything else is just derailing my obsession.
Dan: So she leaves with the son and they drive off leaving him alone in the house.
Gav: He's a new, well, yeah, we see like, it's like almost like a burbs montage with Tom Hanks. Yeah. And I love the fact he kicks the bucket up and it smashes a window. I bet I wasn't on purpose, but that's great.
Dan: It was unplanned, and it was a happy accident.
Gav: It was nice. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Dan: Yeah, because for a second he pauses and then carries on acting. And he's really...
Gav: For too long he keeps him in, but yeah, of course you just do that.
Dan: He tries to, because he's using water from the hosepipe to soften the dirt. He can't get the hosepipe to stretch across and the water isn't coming on. So he decides to go into the basement.
Gav: Yeah, and this is... This is so burbs.
Dan: Yep, because then he decides, ah, I know what I'll do. I'll dig up the basement floor.
Gav: I do like the fact that the next thing is a montage of him tool shopping. Yep. I love that. And he's still in his dirty, sweaty shit that he's been digging in.
Dan: Now, if you saw, this is my question to you.
Gav: I'll be like, the psycho dude here is going to kill bodies. Is there anyone walking in, sweaty? That bitch is burying bodies.
Dan: Cause he goes in and he buys specifically a pneumatic drill and a generator. Yeah, yeah, yeah. He takes it back to the house and he starts drilling into the ground.
Gav: Yeah, well, his mate is the owner of the house and he's been renting it off of him. His mate comes out and can hear power drills. Straight away, if you were the owner, you would go straight over there. We know what happened here. He knows, I don't know how he knows this. He assumes because we know that this guy is a spoiler. This guy is involved with what's happening over at the house and what's buried, he knows and blah, blah, blah. So I thought, if I was the owner of that house, I'd be straight over there going, what the fuck are you doing to this house?
Dan: Because Kevin Bacon makes a joke.
Gav: Because he knows what he's actually doing somehow. So he's at that point then he must go over to his son and explain to him what's happening and they start getting ready to go over there in a moment.
Dan: Because Kevin Bacon makes a joke at the start of the film where he says, how's the house treating you and the landlord? And Kevin Bacon says, oh, you know, we're kicking holes in your doors and walls and digging it all up. And actually ends up really doing that later on. But yeah, it's like 10 o'clock at night and he's still power drilling and all the neighbors are like, what the fuck's going on?
Gav: Well, his wife rings up for me. It's an hour and a half. Basically, she's driving an hour and a half away. And she rings up and says, how's it going? And he's like, yeah, good, good, good. We were like panning. As we pan out, we can see like the kitchen floor is fucked. And she's like, okay. Then she's like, tell you what, I'm gonna come pick you up. I'll be there in an hour and a half. And he's like, no, no.
Dan: She's like, now I'm coming.
Gav: And then just puts the phone down and he's like, fuck. Instead of going, shit, best get the house tidied up. I remember, he's been married at that moment. He's like, fuck, better get the house tidied up. But then he doesn't, he just goes back down to his hole and carries on digging. I was just like, what is it? When he does find, which is a spoiler, find a dead body, I remember the first time I watched this, I was like, I'm so happy for him. His wife's gonna turn up and say, ah, why you, look, it's a dead body.
Dan: Otherwise he'd be in so much trouble, just like in the burbs. He's gonna be so happy.
Gav: He's gonna be waving a skeleton arm and everything. Look.
Dan: Because we see all this play out in the burbs where they didn't find anything initially and everyone just thought, oh, why have these guys done this? But then obviously they find a trunk full of skeletons at the end of that.
Gav: Yeah, which is perfect. So for the same reason as that, I was like, yes, he's redeemed himself with his wife.
Dan: So Maggie says to Jake, we're gonna go and pick dad up. And he's like, I don't wanna go home, I'm scared. She's like, what?
Gav: Why are you scared? And he says, feathers.
Dan: I'm scared of the feathers.
Gav: It's a nice touch. It's a really nice touch.
Dan: Really, really lovely, really lovely. And we'll find out what that means a bit later on. So she says to her sister, you stay here then with Jake, I'm gonna go back.
Gav: When writing this, this should have been lovely because you wouldn't have wrote that bit in. You might have done, you might have had that idea, but you probably didn't.
Dan: Yeah, you go back and add that.
Gav: And then you just go, I'll tell you what, we could go back and then you look at each other and go, yes, high five, you know.
Dan: Well, it was a novel.
Gav: Oh, was it? Oh, okay.
Dan: Yeah, so it was probably written.
Gav: Yeah, but even in the novel form, whoever wrote it.
Dan: Yeah, you can still.
Gav: Yeah, and it's a nice little touch.
Dan: It really is, especially when it pays off later on. So we cut back to Tom still digging, obviously, and he's using a pickaxe now, and this is where he accidentally knocks a few bricks off of a wall. There's a false wall, and behind that is another wall, so he starts taking those bricks out, and he sees some plastic. He sees a red coat from one of his visions, and he knows what it is. He's not scared, and he pulls the plastic off, and it's a skeleton of a face with a girl with glasses. She's got a missing tooth, she's got handcuffs. He reaches out, and he's thinking, I'm going to touch it, because he knows he'll get the proper visions, and he touches the skeleton, and he gets the full replay of what happened to her, which is great. Well, it's not great, but it's great that we get this.
Gav: I looked up mummified bodies, and how long it takes to mummify a body, because I was a bit like, that seems to be...
Dan: Oh, yeah, this would be great when you search history, girl. How long does it take to mummify a body?
Gav: That's why I looked up, because I was watching this film, because she looked really, really way past it. And I thought, that seems like not right with the timeline and the sort of thing. It had been a year, I think it was. No, it had been, yeah, that's right. But actually, no, it can actually happen in... It can even start from 7 to 14 days that mummification can actually happen. It depends on obviously where it's stored.
Dan: Yeah, well, it's bricked up in a wall. Yeah, so there's not a lot of air getting in there, and a plastic bag over it as well, so...
Gav: Yeah, so yeah, so yeah, it can happen. So that's not a weird thing.
Dan: So we get the replay of what happened to Samantha, which is that she wasn't the R-word, as they called her, but she was a very different girl out there, just on her own. Maybe you might call her a geek or yeah, autistic, she had glasses, et cetera, you know, and she's walking down the street and she walks past what is now Tom's house, which was currently, back then, it was being decorated and ready to rent. And she hears someone call her and it's Frank's son who tried to kill himself earlier in the film. And he invites her into the house and says, we just want to be your friends. And she goes in there and everything's covered in plastic because it's all been renovated. And it's a couple of boys, they're all drinking. And she says, we just want to be your friends. And she's like, oh, no one wants to be my friend. And they're like, yeah, we want to be your friend. And it's all very rapey, they're drunk. He starts feeling her up because she's a bit socially awkward. She says, well, you can kiss me if you want. And then he basically gets very forceful with her. She says, I want to go home. And he says, no, you're not going home. Pins her down. She fights back. She breaks the tooth off when she falls in the floor, which is Kevin's visions, both of himself and he's had the visions of Samantha. She tries to crawl away. One of her nails comes off in the floorboard. She starts screaming. So they turn on the radio really, really loud. And it's the song that Tom was trying to remember. I want to paint it black. Jack Black. There we go. It comes full circle. And they put a plastic bag over her head and she dies of suffocation, thankfully, before they could rape her, I guess.
Gav: Yeah, I guess.
Dan: And the boys are like, one of the boys is disgusted, but Frank's son is like, wow, I've never seen a dead body before. OK, these guys are fucking weird if they just killed someone. And the first thing they think of is, wow, I've never seen a dead body before. Cool. Yeah, she's dead. So Tom wakes up, while he's sort of lying on the floor in the basement, just waking up from this vision, one of the lads is peeping through the basement window. So he runs back, tells his dad, he's dug out, he's found the body, we need to do something about this. So Tom walks over to Frank's house, knocks on the door and says, I need to speak to you. You need to step outside, I need to talk to you. And Frank's like, well, what's going on? And he's like, your son killed Samantha, and that's why he shot himself.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: He's like, how can you accuse him of this? He says, come with me back to my house and I'll show you. We see that Maggie's stuck in traffic, she's heading there, so it's all very tense now because she's heading back, you know, is she gonna get caught up in it? He shows Frank the body, Frank says, but you've got no proof, you've got no proof that anyone did this, let alone my son. And he says, Frank, she's pulled someone's hair out, and you can see it's in her hand. All they need to do is do a DNA of that hair, and we'll know who the killer is. So I think we need to call the police now. And Frank reveals he knew all about this. He gets very upset, says, what would you do if it was your boy? He's, you know, he's got his whole future ahead of him. I had to cover this up, protect him. And he pulls a gun out. Yeah. He shoots the gun, doesn't hit anybody. So Tom runs off and climbs back out of the basement. And we hear another shot. We think, oh, Frank's killed himself in the basement. Then there's a knock on the door. And it's the other dad of the other boy, the landlord. And he says, oh, he's been really cagey, man. This is quite tense, the way they're acting.
Gav: Oh, it's obviously not good. Yeah.
Dan: They're like, aren't you going to invite us in? They're like, no, let me in now.
Gav: I like the power dynamic changes onto these guys are completely in control of the situation. Bacon's like, fuck.
Dan: And Bacon's looking at his waist thinking, this guy's probably got a gun in his belt here. I can see something there under his coat. So they sort of force their way in and he throws his son a bottle of booze and says, drink this, drink it all. Basically giving him sort of a bit of courage to do what they're about to do.
Gav: I thought that was really bad when you're standing there and your son's just really cagey, your big old son's cagey just standing there and you're like, and you turn to him and say, drink this, it's not normal thing. Why are you getting him to drink that? So if you were on the other end, you'd be like, oh shit, he's getting him drunk because he could get his kid to kill me.
Dan: And he's sort of talking sort of half-friendly, says to him, oh, we've got a bit of a problem here, Tom, you've seemed to have smashed up my house. It's all very tense. Tom, they get into a scrap, Tom starts fighting them and they pull out again. They're trying to shoot him with a cushion over his head. And then Maggie pulls up outside and beeps the horn. She said, when I pull up outside, I'll just beat the horn. I'll just jump in the car. So she beeps the horn and she hears some sounds go from inside the house. She's worried about going in. So she grabs that great big fucking knife that she's been carrying around with her.
Gav: Well, her kid said as she's walking out, you need to take this and gives her a bag, which has a knife in it because he knew.
Dan: Absolutely. She sees all the lights go out in the house and she thinks, okay, this is something weird going on here. She goes in the house, she gets grabbed, more fighting. She stabs one of the guys in the foot and then it turns out actually Frank didn't kill himself.
Gav: Yeah, because we thought obviously he suicide himself down there and it was a nice play in the editing part. It's the classic Sansa Lam's misdirect type of thing. What door they knocking out? Is it the killer? No, it's not. You know, we thought he had actually topped himself. So it was because you always get that almost Scooby Doo thing all of a sudden. As I bang over that person didn't die. But that was actually slightly surprising, you know? Yeah.
Dan: And actually, I've got to be honest on this watch. I completely forgot.
Gav: I did.
Dan: I did. And he shoots a couple of times, kills both of them, the bad guys, not Kevin Bacon. And then the last bullet goes up through the ceiling, through Jake's bed, where Jake would have been had he gone home. And obviously, he's got a duck down quilt because all the feathers come out.
Gav: And that's what he said.
Dan: I was afraid of the feathers.
Gav: Let's go back and write that he says feathers. I don't want to do it. Perfect. High five. Script.
Dan: And this is where Frank says what he said earlier in the premonition. He says they were going to kill you, Maggie and Tom. And so it was all a premonition that Tom had.
Gav: And then we have this really cringey song come on, and the girl ghost has come along and walk over the street. And it's like, you've just ruined all atmosphere with the most cheesy shit possible. What the fuck?
Dan: Now, I like the sentiment of the ghost girl. Because he sees the ghost girl, now she can rest. She walks in, she smiles, she walks up the street and vanishes. Now, I think if they'd have done that with just a score, that might have been better. But you're right. They use some...
Gav: Just don't fucking bother doing it. I quite like the sentiment. I understand.
Dan: She's a piece, but...
Gav: They could have done that in a different way with like a fucking... Not a feather, because we had feathers earlier, but something just flying out a flower, just flying out, flying off into the sky. Just, you know.
Dan: I bet you it wasn't like that in the book, or I bet you at least it read better in the book.
Gav: That's a fucking producer, though, probably.
Dan: Yeah. Well, she walks down the street and vanishes, happily goes to heaven, or wherever it is she goes. And then we see, finally, a funeral for Samantha. And then Tom and his family are moving out. They drive away. And as they're driving through the town, Jake hears lots of voices.
Gav: Every house that they drive past. Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake. That kid's topping himself.
Dan: Back in hell, Jesus Christ. What are we doing? That kid's topping himself.
Gav: But, you know, he's like, I've been taking that for too long. He goes absolutely bonkers from here. It's going to turn into basically Michael J. Fox and Frighteners.
Dan: I'll be honest with you. There was a moment where I got teary towards the end of this. That is where he walks past his wife, because they're loading up the wagon, and they sort of just graze each other's hands. And you see he's got the tattoo with the heart and of his initials, his wife's initials, and his son's initials. And I just thought it really reminded me of me and Alice, because sometimes she's like, she's very much my Maggie and my Brock. She might not even listen to this, but she does hold me down when I'm floating around, digging holes in the garden. I'm not literally, but I get obsessive about stuff sometimes, like this whole P. Diddy trial, for example, and stuff like that. But she always brings me back down to her in a very gentle, nice way. And it did really make me think of that. When she came downstairs after I finished watching this, I just gave her a very big hug. So this film did make me really want to give my wife a big hug, because Kevin Bacon is very lucky to have his wife look after him all the way through this shit, really. But he also solved a crime and a murder. And I don't know how the fuck the cops are going to... I always think about these things at the end. The cops are like, How did you know the body was there then? And he's like, Oh, I had premonitions because my sister-in-law hypnotized me. And my son's got a gift as well. And they're like, He can't say that. He's just going to say, I was doing some motivation.
Gav: I always have this in movies. We never have how they resolved it with the cops and what they actually said. Or we have movies where we had it recently, maybe all of a sudden, then they're just in the car driving away. And it's like, what did you say about all, it's taken. What did you say about all the bodies you left on the boat in Paris? Or in Amsterdam, where we were, somewhere in Paris?
Dan: Well, like, I don't know, Enter The Dragon, a courtroom scene where Bruce Lee is testifying. So then I killed another 30 men and then I killed Han. I've got no proof of any of this, but you're going to have to take my word for it. It's opium dens there. Next, he testifies John Saxon, right? OK, it's just these movies just end.
Gav: I did have an emotional moment. Have they watched Despicable Me with a larger, got to the end of it, and he finally kisses his foster kids he's adopted on the head.
Dan: And what's her name? Isn't it Edith, I think?
Gav: Oh, I can't remember. And he says, I don't know, he says, I love you. And the larger just looked at me and I love you. And I was like, I love you too. We both had little tears.
Dan: Well, that was like when Jack told me he would never fight me with laser swords.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: No, I felt the same. I thought, well, that's cute.
Gav: I would never fight you with laser swords too, Jack.
Dan: Thanks, Jack. All right, cool.
Gav: That's a thumbs up for me for this film.
Dan: Yeah. Oh, sorry. And a thumbs up for Tremors, we should have said, obviously.
Gav: Oh, yeah, if I'm not Tremors, double thumbs up.
Dan: Depends what type of bacon you want. If you want a fun cowboy sort of giant worm creature feature, go Tremors. If you want a little bit more of a deeper, emotional, maybe a cheesy ending.
Gav: It's a cheesy bacon roll.
Dan: Oh, I love a cheesy bacon roll.
Gav: Yeah. The other one's a bit burnt, but it's all right.
Dan: A bit meaty and burnt, but it's good.
Gav: But it's fine.
Dan: But they're both great movies. I hope he comes back and does some more horror soon. I can see him in like a screen movie or something at some point. I want him in like a really good slasher. Do you know what I mean?
Gav: Well, like Thanksgiving or something. He'd be good at something like that.
Dan: Yeah, something like that. Anyway, I love Kevin Bacon. Thanks for celebrating him with me, Gav.
Gav: I know. I enjoyed coming on the double bacon sandwich. I'm not a big bacon fan.
Dan: You enjoyed coming on the double bacon sandwich.
Gav: It's just weird. Diddy stuff again. I am...
Dan: Don't talk about this cheeseburgers.
Gav: I am not a massive bacon fan, but occasionally I have some with my poached eggs.
Dan: Yeah, we don't really eat meat anymore in our house. Not full vegetarian, but my body can't really... My stomach can't really handle too much meat anymore. So occasionally I have some chicken, maybe a bit of fish, but I don't really do meat anymore, really.
Gav: I'm still...
Dan: Suffer the next few days if I eat too much meat.
Gav: Oh, really? I'm still rocking it. But I'm still hitting gym up, so...
Dan: Fair enough, fair enough. I don't go to the gym at all, as you can see from my amazing down-bod. Well, that's enough bacon talk. Let's get out of here and come back for an outro.
Gav: Do it! Do it now! Bacon me up, yo! And we're back again.
Dan: What's shaking, Kevin Bacon? How do you like your eggs in the morning?
Gav: Sarah's talking about herself, they're talking about Esten Bumtol's bacon ice cream.
Dan: Wow, I've had bacon milkshakes.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: With five guys here, you can have a bacon milkshake there. Bacon milkshake. So it's all right, you know. I don't know, I don't think you need to put bacon in everything. Bacon's good, though. Fuck me, you know. I know two different people who were vegetarians, and what swung them back to eating meat was bacon. I was in Australia with my friend Alex when we were having a barbecue, and she actually, I looked over and I said, you're right, I think I'm going to have a bacon sandwich, because they were doing the bacon on the barbecue. And I said, but you've been vegetarian for about 12 years. She's like, I'm going to do it. She just had a bacon sandwich. That's the smell of bacon for you. You can buy a bacon Yankee candle, believe it or not. I think, as long as it doesn't smell of the grease, like the smell of bacon, yeah, but sometimes you get a bit of grease but there's well, don't you? So I don't think I'd buy a bacon Yankee candle. I'd rather buy that than Gwyneth Paltrow's vagina candle.
Gav: Was that a thing?
Dan: Oh, yeah, you can buy a Gwyneth Paltrow candle that smells of a vagina. What? Vagina secretions, I believe.
Gav: What?
Dan: Yeah, yeah. If you want to get a cunt candle from Gwyneth Paltrow, then go for it.
Gav: Why did she decide to start selling scented...
Dan: Do you not know about this? No. It's a pretty big thing. It's been around for five years now.
Gav: That's so weird.
Dan: Yeah. Google it. Go down a little rabbit hole after we finish recording.
Gav: I don't understand this though. So you're going to smelt like a candle and go, nice. Gwyneth Paltrow's...
Dan: Now I know how Chris Martin feels after a big session with her.
Gav: That's so weird.
Dan: It is, isn't it?
Gav: Why don't I understand?
Dan: It's just celebrities, isn't it? It's like buying Britney Spears farts off eBay or whatever you want to do. You know, I don't know.
Gav: It's so weird. All right, let's have a little intro.
Dan: That was episode 177 of the Podcast on Haunted Hill, as we call it the Double Bacon Special. It was great. It was fun. But we've got more to come.
Gav: As a kid, though, my favorite meal, it would be, was a double bacon cheeseburger from Burger King.
Dan: Oh, don't get me wrong. That's when I'll have, if I'm going to go to McDonald's or Burger King, I will always get the bacon on the cheeseburger.
Gav: OK, yeah.
Dan: I've got vividly good memories of being in your garden while you were doing a barbecue once. Me and your dog were sat there waiting. You were like, you were cooking burgers. And obviously the dog was like, Beans was really excited. And I was the same. I was next to him. And then I remember you sticking your head out the kitchen and going, they're done in a minute. Do you want bacon on them? And I was like, fuck yeah. We had bacon cheeseburgers.
Gav: I don't remember that. Sounds great.
Dan: Yeah, it's great. But coming up next episode of the podcast on Haunted Hill, episode 178 is going to be a director special, but also a return to a franchise. We'll be covering Scream 2 and Scream 3. Where's Craven?
Gav: Where's Craven? I can't wait.
Dan: That'd be good. Late 90s, 97 Scream 2 and then 2000. So either side of Stir Of Echoes. So that'll be fun to talk about those two. I haven't revisited Scream 3 for a long time. So I'm a big fan of Scream 2. So that'll be good. After that is a That's episode 179. We don't have the selections yet, but I probably in the next few days will be getting them from the patron. I will reveal all when I know more.
Gav: Oh, exciting.
Dan: I will reveal more bacon.
Gav: Is it the KRRL movie?
Dan: Grrrm, Grrrm, nature. And then episode 180, 180 is kicking off the summer, Gav.
Gav: Nice.
Dan: We're going to Camp Crystal Lake again.
Gav: Oh, that's so good.
Dan: Shh, shh, shh, ha, ha, kill, kill, kill. We're going to be covering Friday the 13th, part seven.
Gav: Nice.
Dan: The new the new blood, which is basically Carrie versus Jason. Great stuff.
Gav: OK, yeah.
Dan: From 1988. And then we'll be pairing that up with 1989's. Jason Takes Manhattan.
Gav: Most of it is on a boat. It doesn't actually go to Manhattan, but yeah, it's great.
Dan: He's there for about five minutes in the end.
Gav: Yeah, I did actually watch that one, not that long ago, and it didn't hold up as good as it did in my head. But that's fine. It's still Friday phone. It's still Jason. It's still kids getting killed.
Dan: And it's still got some great kills in it, like a boxer getting his head punched off. So, yeah. So that's what's coming up. Scream 2 and 3, a patron pick and then some Camp Crystal Lake stuff. Yeah, cool. Lots of fun to be had as the entrance to the summer.
Gav: It's the Slasher Series movies.
Dan: It is, you're right.
Gav: But it is the summer for that, though, isn't it?
Dan: It's the Slasher Summer. Coming soon, Bacon, double cheeseburgers and more. Sorry, I'm going off on a little tangent now. Cool. So I will do some housekeeping before we say goodbyes. And we'll see you all in the next one. So we are the podcast on Haunted Hill, a proud member of Legion Podcasts Network. It can have been for 11 and a bit years now, which is crazy. If you want to know more about the network, Legion Podcasts, just goto LegionPodcasts.com find out more about all the shows on the network. All of their past episodes, including all of ours, are on there as well. We also fall under the Deadbolt Media umbrella, which is our production company. I'll come back to that in just a moment. If you want to message us, you can send us an email. Our email address is thepodcastsonhauntedhill (at) outlook.com. We're also on Facebook. Just search for the podcast on Haunted Hill. We have an active community on there of about 700 or 800 absolute nutbags that we love dearly, who post on there daily about what they're watching, what they're looking forward to, silly gifts and memes. It's all fun and games. You can also reach out to us through Messenger on there as well. Probably me rather than Gav, because he doesn't go on there too much. We're on Instagram as well. Our handle is the podcast on Haunted Hill Insta. Legion are also on Facebook. Again, just search for Legion Podcasts. Wherever you're listening to us now is where you can continue to listen to us, hopefully. We're on most podcast platforms, Spotify, YouTube, Podknife, Podbean, Apple Podcasts, that it, and all the other usual stuff. Just Google the podcast on Haunted Hill and you'll find us.
Gav: You'll find us.
Dan: If you call us, we will come. Well, not like that, but I mentioned Deadbolt Media. So Deadbolt Films is our production company. If you hit up deadboltfilms.com, you can visit our website and find out all the features and shorts that we've done as well as the comics that we've got coming out.
Gav: Do check out Amanda.
Dan: The technical stuff. Amanda, our latest feature, which is a fine footage, missing person, sort of these great stuff, which is really great. And what else is going on with DeadboltGov? There's a couple of things in the pipeline, isn't there?
Gav: Well, on the comic side of things, Eldritch Lust number three fund finished, that came in to 23,000 pound. So we're getting those episodes out, episodes, editions, comic issues out.
Dan: We're in the fan's course.
Gav: Yeah, that's that. We've got another comic series coming. It's going to get started soon. Devil Girl is getting made. Yeah, we're finishing the telling, which is Ben's short film, we're just getting that done. Then I'm going to be pushing, we've decided to now shoot the Found Fudge film. We're going to do the security van. We decided we could shoot with the red camera to make it more like a legit movie rather than just a found Fudge film, just because we need to use that camera because it's a very good camera. So we're actually, I've started scripting that. So we're going to be making that, I think, next. But we are also doing other shit as well. We have to be doing lots of different things because not everything, if you put all your eggs in one basket, it might not happen. Then you're stuck going, what do you do now? So we've got loads of things going on at different degrees.
Dan: Indeed, indeed. We obviously, as a podcast, also fall under that umbrella, as does the other podcast that Gav does.
Gav: The High Strangers Podcast, which we've been having a little bit of a hiatus at the moment. We are coming back close soon.
Dan: It's important sometimes to take a break, gather your thoughts and then jump back into it.
Gav: Sarah came down, she came down at my weekend, came down to my flat weekend and I forgot her notes, so we couldn't record.
Dan: Oh, she just didn't want to record.
Gav: But I think we're recording next week, so yeah.
Dan: Dev Bought Films also has a YouTube channel, so you can jump on that. You can currently watch our Star Wars horror film on there. Sanctuary Moon.
Gav: Yeah, that's still there.
Dan: You can also watch that in black and white if you want. You can also watch Amanda. There's lots of stuff on there to watch, it's great.
Gav: Lots of films, all sorts, yeah.
Dan: Entertainment, yeah. If you jump on Instagram, we're under Deadbolt Films or we're Deadbolt Films.
Gav: And you can see more of what we're doing because that's a good way to see what we're up to in picture form.
Dan: Little teases, little teases, snippets.
Gav: It's the best way of doing it, just a picture, you know.
Dan: What's going on here, they wonder? Hmm, what's that? What could they be filming?
Gav: Yeah, have a look at the recent picture I put up today.
Dan: I saw that. We're also finally on Patreon, part of Patreon. So we will thank our patrons in a moment. But if you want to become a patron and support the show in a financial way, for a little as a pound or a dollar a month, you do get some perks. You get a t-shirt in one of three colors sent out to you, wherever you are. Free t-shirt. Obviously, you're giving us money, but we'll give you a free t-shirt. So that's kind of weird. You also get exclusive access to any additional content. We make podcasts or videos, as well as access to our entire back catalog. And I don't just give my back catalog to anybody.
Gav: He doesn't.
Dan: And you will also get sometimes some of our shows come out a little bit early, exclusively for our patrons. So that's another thing as well. And the big one really is that every three episodes is a patron. So every three episodes, one of our patrons gets to pick the two movies we're watching, movies that are near and dear to them. They tell us why they love them, why they wanted us to cover them. We cover them. And it's meant that we've really explored some movies we would never really have talked about. You know, most recently, I think we did Commando and Taken. We've also done stuff like Clockwork Orange, just crazy stuff that people throw at us. And we're more than happy to talk about it. As long as it's an element of darkness in that movie, we will do it.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Dan: Don't just throw like My Best Friend's Wedding At Us or something like that. We'll probably struggle to talk about that.
Gav: I think we're at that stage. I can always, because the technical side and things, I could probably review most films, I think now.
Dan: To be honest with you, fuck it, throw a romcom at us, see what we do. Imagine that.
Gav: Yeah, yeah.
Dan: I think the closest we've got to a romcom is when I made you watch Ghost for a Valentine special.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: At least that had some ghosts in it, but.
Gav: True.
Dan: Yeah, there we go. So yeah, if you want to become a patron, jump on Patreon, search for the podcast on Haunted Hill. If you can't find that or struggle, just message me either on Facebook through Messenger, or you can email us at thePodcastonHauntedHill at outlook.com. And as always, a big thank you to our patrons, who I will thank individually by name now. So thank you very much to Bacon Dante.
Gav: Thank you.
Dan: Don Bacon Collier.
Gav: Thank you.
Dan: Matthew Bacon Godley. Jamie Bacon Jenkins. That was hard to say. Bacon Jenkins. Kevin S. Bacon. Fife.
Gav: Yep.
Dan: Sarah Bacon. Rachel Bacon and RJ. McBacon. RJ.
Gav: McBacon.
Dan: That sounds like someone you'd order at McDonald's. That's good. I'll get the RJ. McBacon, please.
Gav: RJ.
Dan: McBacon. Fresh for you. I'm loving it. So thank you very much to all of our patrons. We love you. You're wonderful. We really appreciate your support and hope you're all wearing your T-shirts with pride.
Gav: I hope so too.
Dan: Or you could just be using them to dust your furniture. Whatever you want to do with it, it's up to you, really. Do what you want.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Do it. Do what you want.
Gav: Do it.
Dan: Do it now.
Gav: Do it.
Dan: Yeah, that's that. So we've got a lot of fun coming up. We've had a lot of fun with our bacon. It's time for you and I to put the bacon back in the fridge.
Gav: You love the bit of bacon, didn't you?
Dan: I did.
Gav: Well, get it down, don't you? Don't slip it back in the fridge. Get that down, yeah.
Dan: Oh, get it up. Yeah, if you want, whatever you want.
Gav: Put the bacon where you want it.
Dan: Kevin Bacon, heaven-making. There we go.
Gav: Yep.
Dan: Did you just say wow, but not say it? It looked like your mouth went wow. Well, it's a good night from Kevin Bacon.
Gav: It is.
Dan: And it's a good night from Kevin Bacon's tiny swimming trunks in Friday the 13th.
Gav: It is. It's a good night, I guess, from Bacon's penis. I've not seen it, Dan has.
Dan: Well, you won't see it in Hollow Man because it's invisible, but it'll be finding its way to you. There you go. He plays a rapist in that. So he's always played bad guys.
Gav: Rapist or Peano?
Dan: I don't know. Pick a lane, Kevin. Jesus Christ.
Gav: Choose one.
Dan: Are you saving dead ghost children? What are you doing? You find giant worms in the desert? You're doing it all.
Gav: Choose one for fuck's sake.
Dan: Taking on the X-Men in other films. Jesus Christ.
Gav: Well, thank you for coming along on the journey with us, peeps. Come back again for another fun-filled episode.
Dan: Or as Gav says, come back again real soon.
Gav: And we didn't do the welcome back, welcome front, but you know all that jazz, so.
Dan: Well, thanks for coming back. Thanks for coming front. Thanks for coming around the side.
Gav: Let me see you real soon.
Dan: With the bacon.
Gav: Bacon. Thank you for listening to the podcast on Haunted Hill. We will be back again real soon.