On the In Vino Fabulum (#InVinoFab) podcast, episode no. 14 we tantalize your taste buds with a wine pairing lesson from a certified sommelier and educator, Cheryl S. Stanley. We figure out how to best differentiate wine by color, taste, and learn how she wants to being a culture of care to restaurants and the service industry with her own consulting business.
- HADM: 4300: Introduction to Wines https://sha.cornell.edu/admissions-programs/undergraduate/academics/courses/course.html?ps_course_id=351839
- Reflection from a student: http://blogs.cornell.edu/lauren/2014/11/16/hadm-4300-intro-to-wines/
- Test your own wine knowledge with this HADM 4300 Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/127819427/hadm-4300-intro-to-wines-prelim-1-flash-cards/
- Course Twitter handle: @cuha4300
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cuha4300/
- The Hotel School https://twitter.com/CornellSHA
“I hope that [my students] leave my course with just an appreciation for life and food and wine.” ~ Cheryl Stanley
How to Gain Some Knowledge on Wine for Select & Discuss Wine for a Meal:
in the Hospitality Industry from Texas Tech University [PDF] https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/ttu-ir/bitstream/handle/2346/47487/STANLEY-THESIS.pdf?sequence=2
- it’s a young red wine that is from a moderate to warm climate that would benefit from air in order to soften the mouth feel
- If the wine in unfined and unfiltered, it could have sediment
- if the wine is old -- it depends on the type of grape: cabernet sauvignon, nebbiolo, merlot, some syrahs, etc. or a pinot that is old might throw sediment so you can decanter to remove the bitter chunks.
- If the wine is young and their reds do well with decanting for air, e.g. local Cornell University alumni vineyard: Turley Wines: http://www.turleywinecellars.com/
What is The #InVinoFab Podcast?
The #InVinoFab Podcast uncorks to share stories about women+, wine, and work through personal stories. In Vino Fabulum, means: In Wine, Story! Co-hosts @ProfPatrice & @LauraPasquini bring different voices and ideas to the pod to challenge, learn, and engage listeners for issues and ideas impacting women in their communities and at work. These narrative episodes are delightfully paired with interesting projects, workplace experiences, helpful learning anecdotes, and creative discoveries for how women live today. Listen to the podcast and join the conversation at @InVinoFab (Instagram & Twitter).